Thai Square Richmond
29 Kew Road
London, TW9 2NQNeighbourhood:
ThaiPrice: £26 to £40
Thai Square Richmond
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thaisquare.net/restaurants/richmond/
- Phone: 02089405253
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 3:30pm, 6pm - 11pm
Sunday 12pm - 3:30, 5:30pm - 10:30
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Thai Square Richmond
Thai Square restaurant on Kew Road in the London borough of Richmond, near the station, has brought a taste of the East to the West with impressive results. The building is the former Duke of York pub which has been excitingly transformed into a lovely, sun-drenched, modern, elegant restaurant with beautiful Thai artwork and artefacts. You could be in Bangkok. Thai Square’s chefs have together collected more than a thousand authentic recipes for their Thai cuisine, which means that the large menu you’re offered is only a share of what they know. Authentic Thai ingredients are flown in and the food is created using fresh, high-quality ingredients in dishes like gang pa, yum nua or favourites like kanom jeeb, goon kratiam and the national dish, pad Thai. Thai Square’s wines and service are exemplary and the whole experience a delight.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thai Square Richmond reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since 26 May 2014
pre/post theatre (7)good vegetarian options (6)special occasions (5)romance (4)fit for foodies (3)group bookings (2)child friendly (2)disabled access (1)outstanding value (1)brunch (1)Show More
- Bad serviceFoodloverDined on 30/7/2014I booked this restaurant as a surprise treat for my hubby on his birthday. I was hoping I could give him great food experience but the staff brought the wrong food. what we ordered was not what we paid for. Food was disappointing on top of wrong menu did not do any justice.when I i booked the table, I made a special request to play the happy birthday song but it was ignored. I think was pointless to ask for special requests if you're going to ignore it anyway.I hate to say but this was the worst dining experience. I would strongly suggest the management to be assertive and take the business seriously and hire some cheerful staff. Till then I would avoid this restaurant.Special Features:
- Average but close to cinemaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/7/2014Unimpressive food and somewhat pricey for a meal for two. Service was ok although took a long time to get the bill.
- Enjoyable DinnerDinerDined on 16/6/2014Good catch up with a friend. We both just had mains, but they were delicious. The choice wasn't vast, but all good quality Thai food. resturant very convenient - right opposite Richmond station. Quite empty (we went on a Monday night), so they didn't mind when we sat for an hr after finishing our food.
- Poor service, tasteless foodSavoyu2Dined on 4/5/2014As we ordered our drinks, instead of a beer we received cranberry juice. I ordered chilli lamb as a main course and chilli beef arrived. The waitress took it into the kitchen and returned to confirm it was lamb. I can assure you that both my boyfriend and I tasted it and it was beef. Needless to say we requested the waitress tasted it and she said she doesn't eat beef!! It was tastless and tough. The service was endlessly disappointing not only as they were not paying attention to us, they delivered the wrong bill to us and did not make any effort to compensate us for a dreadful meal except to offer us tea. Hugely disappointed especially as we're local to the area and we will not be recommending thisSpecial Features:
- Best Thai.BevvarneyDined on 19/4/2014After reading the reviews on the restaurant we were not expecting the best service. How wrong we were We ate at 8 o'clock on a busy Saturday night with a full restaurant. The staff could not have been more attentive the food delicious and imaginative.i would advise people to take some reviews lightly. Seems some people want to ruin a restaurant good reputation. My advice is Go and find out for urself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - terrible serviceNb81Dined on 15/4/2014This was our third time back as the food is fantastic but service is terrible! We had to ask to be served drinks and food and water was a scarcity (even just tap water!) But the food is fabulous and really enjoyable. So as long as you are happy to be ignored but the food is great, then this is for you :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value. Avoid if anythingjamesanglophileDined on 22/3/2014Good value. Avoid if anything is going on at Twickenham Stadium.Special Features:
- Service let it downDaniellaDined on 1/3/2014Food was nice, it was very busy but teh service was very slow. Even getting water took ages. Teh food is nice and we went for the set menu for 2 which gave us loads to share, we had plenty to eat. teh spicy options are actually spicy but good. would be good for a group bookingSpecial Features:
- pre theatre mealkitmarDined on 26/2/2014The staff in the restaurant very kindly let us in early (17.45), before they opened (18.00), as we were standing outside in the cold. They looked after us very well. The food was good, and the service very good, - not over-attentive but prompt and friendly. The food was good; there are not any Chinese restaurants in Richmond near the theatres, and this was the next best option. I've eaten at another Thai Square (at Trafalgar Square) and beware strict vegetarians - some of their so-called veggie dishes are made with shrimp paste(!) so it's worth asking about each dish's contents.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Pad ThaitippyDined on 14/2/2014I was disappointed in the vegetable Pad Thai. It had little flavour and no peanuts. Adding soya sauce only made it very salty. Perhaps they left out the fish sauce?Special Features:
- Consistently goodGXW1Dined on 18/1/2014I like Thai Square in Richmond as it's consistently good. It was busy on a Saturday night and the staff were kept on their toes, but the meal was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai delightsMamaJoDined on 21/12/2013A great evening meal for 3 at Thai Square Richmond, great food, prawns were delicious. Good selection of vegetarian options for the vege in the group. Will be back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The floors were dirty especiallyFussyeaterDined on 15/11/2013The floors were dirty especially at the skirting boards and under the table and chairs. Also the stairs down to the toilets and in the ladies toilet. We were overcharged for drinks that never arrived, no apology and surly service. A very large service charge was added and when we questioned it the response was very offhand and snooty. It was cold as the door opens directly into the restaurant, no porch or screen to protect diners. Menus were greasy and pages had food stuck on them. Generally disappointing and poor standard. There are plenty of good places in Richmond to choose from.
- Thai Square RichmondapatgeeVIPDined on 29/10/2013After fantastic, authentic Thai food at the other square in Putney overlooking the river in an outstanding listed building. The experience here was somewhat different. Admittedly, when we ate there, we didn't need to get to a theatre 200 yards away before 730pm. As it opens at 6 we usually turn up 10 mins early as we have problems eating and paying for two courses in 90 mins,( Us or Them?) Easily done in most venues if you ask, but here, we haven't found that possible. We will still go to Putney but fear our Richmond oriental days are seeking pastures new.
- Dissapointed!Love2dineDined on 26/10/2013Atmosphere was delightful, mellow and romantic. Staff were friendly until we made a complaint about a dish being stone cold. The rest of the food was of great quality. Staff need to be trained in Customer Service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 304 reviews are from the Thai Square Richmond reviews archive.
- Excellent!!!OzzyDined on 21/9/2013The food is exceptional and the cocktails are a perfect way to start the dinner. If you like spicy food Thai Square is a must to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall this was a very pleasantBigGDined on 10/8/2013Overall this was a very pleasant experience. We felt a little penned it at the rear of the restaurant and the table was a little small for a couple with a healthy appetite but the food was lovely and the service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food service slowSuzyDined on 19/7/2013Great food and big enough for large groups. Just the service was lacking. Had to prompt them for drinks, then meal ordering and when we refused to pay the service charge were faced with a stony blank face - no enquiry as to why we weren't willing to pay it. Staff would rather huddle in the corner than converse with guests I presume.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerriblehungryDined on 27/4/20135 of us went here for Saturday lunch peak time in Richmond. It was empty. No ambience at all. Staff were unfriendly. No smiles. Seemed almost put out. Had to ask for drinks. Food was overpriced for small portions. Prawns were raw. Terrible. We all left hungry. Explains how quiet they were for such a busy time. First and last visit here.
- Thai Square RichmondapatgeeVIPDined on 24/4/2013Every time a winner! Situated on the Orange Tree Theatre doorstep, why not have pre theatre as show starts at 745. Perfect. Starting with prawn crackers while reading menu. Always a veritable feast and well prepared thai food. Does exactly what it says on the tin. This is the latest of several visits and the food always delights. Thanks and will recommend you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday nightDollyDined on 15/3/2013The Putney branch is contained within a striking building, right on the river. So, amazing views, decor and a sense of space make it a little special. Add that upstairs is the main restaurant and downstairs a late bar with DJ and the vibe is very lively. Richmond on the other-hand is simply decorated, with no late license and no bar. Food is as good. But feels very much like a high-street restaurant and no more. Service was average as was the ambience. Although exceptionally busy there was no real buzz. Tables are remarkably close together; almost uncomfortably so. And tip is automatically added, which if unhappy with service would be one to watch. All-in-all I had a fabulous night but food aside that was solely due to my companions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good bur fortxatxaDined on 16/2/2013The food was good bur for the amount of money you pay the quantity wasnt much.We found that no all of them communicate well in english.The main problem was that we booked a table for 15 and they set up them in 2 tables so we had to sit slpit in 2 groups.We should be told things like that at the time of the booking.no nice to have our dinner separated.thanks
- A disappointing experiencecjeater3Dined on 16/2/2013Maybe I just thought it was going to be a fabulous dinner, so my expectations were too high. The food was good, but rather expensive for what it was (ditto the wine). The restaurant seemed a little bare, the acoustics were terrible (we couldn't really hear the waiter, and he couldn't move closer to the table as they were packed together), tables were small. Overall quite disappointing, and I wouldn't recommend. Saying that, the place was very busy, so maybe we just didn't get the best of it. Sorry to leave a poor review, as reports I've heard of other Thai Square restaurants (it's a chain) have always been good.
- Great foodRaynbowbirdsDined on 14/2/2013Food was amazing and since it was valentines day received a free rosé and Polaroid Of us both. Would recommend the sea bass with lemon grass and the crab salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Thai Square, and theNb81Dined on 13/2/2013Love Thai Square, and the food is always amazing - beautifully presented and always so tasty. service was quite poor and slow on this evening, the restaurant wasnt busy, we just had to keep asking for tap water, drinks, to order and for prawn crackers whilst we waited for our starters...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice meal out...redstarDined on 1/2/2013I booked Thai Square for a romantic meal out and the food was great. The only thing that bothered me was I asked for a nice table for a couple celebrating and we were placed on a tiny table in the middle of 2 other couples that were sat so close, they might as well have been at our table! The space they give you is very small, which I understand as they want to maximise their space. However, I did ask to be moved to the back of the restaurant when another couple left. We enjoyed the meal, the wine was a bit more pricey than other Thai restaurants we go to and perhaps we would not book again for a 'couple' night out. Perhaps better for groups....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PretheatreFremarDined on 31/1/2013Excellent choice for pre theatre dinner in Richmond. The menu was good value and the food delicious.Special Features:
- Nice waitress and a buzzyMNBVDined on 31/1/2013Nice waitress and a buzzy atmosphere but... Set menu vastly overpriced and quality not that impressive. Pity
- The food at Thai Square, Richmond,foodieDined on 25/1/2013The food at Thai Square, Richmond, was good although the service was a little erratic. We had someone arrive with our mains before we had our starters. When they did return with our mains at the correct time I am not convinced they were fresh although the taste was still good.Special Features:
- Met up with two former colleaguesMiverDined on 24/1/2013Good food. Lots of options on the menu to choose from. Would recommend it. As it was the first time for me to eat thai food a little guidance from the staff would have been appreciated. Service was a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and enjoyed out visitYumYumDined on 22/1/2013Very happy with our choice of restaurant as some of the group had specific dietary requirements but there was plenty to choose from on the menu. Also happy with the service despite the place being very busy. Definitely will return.Special Features:
- Beautiful, will be back very soon!RGK2013Dined on 20/12/2012Thai Square was one of those restaurants in Richmond that I would forget about when choosing where to go for dinner. Thankfully a friend suggested we try this. We're so glad we did. I had the mixed starter, followed by the massoman curry. Both were delicious. I wouldn't hesitate to choose Thai Square for a special occasion in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok experience.ManpreetDined on 13/12/2012It was an ok experience. Service was poor, we had to wait for an hour to get out staters. The dish quantities was also very little. Over all not very happy.Special Features:
- Late night meal with a friendRaaXDined on 4/12/2012At 22:30 on a Tuesday evening we found the place had three tables with customers. Thus we had almost the full attention of the staff so it was a pleasure to fine there. Both of us enjoyed the wine and our dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pre-match option at TwickenhamWazTVIPDined on 1/12/2012Everything was good here, but you'd expect that from this dependable Thai chain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very popular restaurant. FoodMikeDined on 23/11/2012Very popular restaurant. Food not as spicy as expected. Service quite prompt.Special Features:
- Ok, but nothing special...Derek70Dined on 20/11/2012There are better Thai restaurants around Richmond and Kingston. This is part of a chain, the food very good, but the decor 'generic' like in a hotel chain rather than cosy as in a family run place. The staff were not efficient, nor very friendly. Although the food was good, the portions were small, and of course they bring the smallest sized beer bottle possible, unlike many other restaurants where they bring you the larger bottle of the same brand. Overall I would say fair, pushing good only....Special Features:
- Rugby DayRugbyFanDined on 17/11/2012We were looking for a restaurant with good food and quick service on the way to the rugby at Twickenham. Thai Square provided exactly what we were looking for with a rugby menu too. The only slight criticism is that the restaurant could have opened earlier than midday as most of the other eating establishments in the area in Richmond do on match days at Twickenham, they could do much more business including selling more drinks before the meals are taken. Overall very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good ambienceritadVIPDined on 19/10/2012i am going back had a lovely meal good friendly staff. Suprisingly helpful. Nice and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai Square Richmond Pre TheatreapatgeeVIPDined on 3/10/2012Food always good, staff friendly and attentive at the quiet time we come in ( 6 pm ) for pre theatre. However as the time to leave approaches the restaurant starts to fill and we seem always to struggle to get two coffees and the bill paid in time to be comfortable and in time to order our interval refreshments. We normally leave two hours for two courses and coffee for our theatre excursions, We do love the food here though and always leave with a smile and a happy heart. Recommend in this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.