Thai Square Trafalgar Square
21 - 24 Cockspur Street
London, SW1Y 5BNNeighbourhood:
ThaiPrice: £26 to £40
Thai Square Trafalgar Square
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thaisquare.net/#trafalgar-square
- Phone: 020 7839 4000
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Fri 12.00 - 15.00 17.30 - 23.30 Sat 12.00 - 15.00 17.30 - 01.00 Sun 12.00 - 15.00 17.30 - 22.30
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Thai Square Trafalgar Square
Looking out over one of London’s most famous landmarks, the flagship branch of Thai Square restaurant is a great choice for lunch or dinner near Trafalgar Square. Formerly the impressive Norwegian embassy, Thai Square is a seriously spacious venue full of traditional artefacts, heavy wooden doors and sprays of exotic flowers – perfect for laid-back lunches with friends and cosy romantic dinners. And when tourists invariably tumble in by chance, they are rewarded, as you will be, with excellent Thai cuisine. Thai Square’s authentic Thai menu is full of familiar favourites like fiery tom yum soup, fragrant green chicken curry and chargrilled duck breast with tamarind sauce. Vegetarians are spoilt for choice at Thai Square with delicious dishes like aubergine and shiitake mushrooms stir-fried with sweet basil and garlic. At the weekend, the club downstairs is open until 3am – perfect for diners who want to dance the night away in style.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thai Square Trafalgar Square reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since 23 November 2013
pre/post theatre (79)special occasions (62)good vegetarian options (60)group bookings (58)business meals (44)fit for foodies (43)romance (42)outstanding value (21)sunday lunch (11)child friendly (9)disabled access (6)brunch (4)outdoor eating (3)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- Saturday Evening @Thai Square Trafalgarbeb39Dined on 15/11/2014We had a great time at Thai Square, great food, atmosphere, everything was great. I had mixed experience with Thai restaurants in London but this one definitely separates from others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty classic Thai foodLauraeatsDined on 15/11/2014Tasty classic Thai food, well located for pre-theatre goers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appalling service but good foodFood4thoughtDined on 14/11/2014Seated prompted however from then on the service was atrocious. Napkins were thrown onto the table, wine that was served was spilt onto the White table cloth on multiple occasions by the waiter. When my friend asked the waiter he looked as though he didn't want to work tonight he replied "yes I've been here all day so tired" , make of that what you wish. Had to call for the waiter to take our orders. Asked to speak to the manager at the end and was told he had gone home. Spoke to another member of staff and the they said the manager was cooking in the kitchen. Seems like the manager is a serious multi tasker. I could not fault the food it was very good but the service let's this place down big time. Whether a restaurant is short staffed, busy, having issues is not the customers problem and until they look internally at their own issues and iron them out, this location will suffer in the short and near long term.Special Features:
- Solid Thai foodApoorv03VIPDined on 11/11/2014Let's go here for lots of food. Solid food and love music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jack67dolanpcDined on 7/11/2014Very good service, gorgeous food, spacious restaurant lovely decor. Staff very politeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/20143 very decent courses but did have to wait a while for the bill. A little pricier than other Thai restaurants I've been to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice change from Italian foodfuzzyDined on 29/9/2014The restaurant did not disappoint--service and food were very good and the value was outstanding. Well worth a second visit.Special Features:
- great foodMP13Dined on 17/9/2014Service food and ambience all excellent. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't disappoint.PBagVIPDined on 5/9/2014Service is always brilliant here, and the food is very tasty. Very enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicemaniDined on 4/9/2014My friend and I really enjoyed the three course meal. I would recommend this to othersSpecial Features:
- Dinner at Thai SquareOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/8/2014When we entered the restaurant we had high hopes as at the front it was lovely, however we were sat as far away to the back where they kept the napkins for folding; it was awful. The young chap who served us was pleasant enough bur everyone else was rude. By this point we didn't have much of an appetite and will definitely never return.
- as usual, had the boxed mealLucyGardenDined on 27/8/2014One of these days I must try a la carte but the boxed meals are so easy - they give you a variety of tasty food and you can give your attention to your chat over lunch! That said, the prices seem to be going up - fruit juices seemed especially pricey compared to what I remember.Special Features:
- Poor food qualityEvaDDined on 15/8/2014My husband and me went to Thai Square Trafalgar Square for a pre theatre meal and were very disappointed. The first curse the soup was quite nice but second curse was a disaster. Mine, the black cod one of the most expensive dishes on the menu, was grossly overcooked and arrived to my table almost cold. My husband duck was also overcooked and tasteless. We go theatre at least once a week but will make sure that we avoid Thai Square in future. We both love Thai food just not in Thai Square Trafalgar Square. Service was very good and friendly and ambience very pleasant. Shame about food.
- Over pricedPhilVIPDined on 14/8/2014High Prices and poor quality food - spongy crab cakes, flavourless chicken, bland salads..........the aptmosphere may seem in keeping with Thailand but the food is far from authentic
- Consistently deliversroddyshoddyDined on 1/8/2014Ideally placed for Theatre land, Thai Square has become a favourite pre theatre dining experience. Great atmosphere and good choice of dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gold set menu very goodWadsDined on 28/7/2014This is the second time I've eaten at Thai Square and it didn't disappoint. We had the Gold set menu which gave a good quanity and variety of very tasty dishes. Worth a try if you are looking for reasonbly priced Thai food near Trafalgar Square.Special Features:
- Good food in lovely surroundingsHazedDined on 7/7/2014If you like Thai food then Thai Square (which has numerous branches across London) is worth a visit. Not only is the food really good, but the decor is fabulous too. It's a great place to go before a theatre trip.Special Features:
- Great service and food!AvskiDined on 3/7/2014Everything about our dinner experience was lovely. The food, service and ambience. This is the second time I've been to this branch and both experiences were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Group MealKsherchanDined on 29/6/2014This branch is very nice. We went for a friend's leaving do on Sunday evening and made reservations for 8 people in the morning only. The staff were very attentive and the service was also very efficient. Food was delicious and up to the standards. The ambience was lovely with a lady playing light soft music at the background. The Lamb Mussamum and the pad thai was delicious!!! It is a bit pricey and they add service charge but overall it was a very good dining experience. I would go again for another special occasion!Special Features:
- I love this restaurantgreenappleVIPDined on 28/6/2014I have been coming here for the past few years and always drag visiting friends. It has been consistently great and I look forward to my next time, again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent enough Thai foodJBG78Dined on 25/6/2014There's nothing outstanding about Thai Square, it is what it is, a reasonable Thai restaurant, but nothing spectacular. Being in the heart of London it's not amazingly cheap, but it's not horrendously expensive either. Overally worth while trying if you're in need of a Thai fix and in the area, but don't go out of your way for it, there's better to be had in London.Special Features:
- Dining with 8!CosmickittenDined on 19/6/2014Hi - booked Thai Square as there were 8 girlies meeting for a reunion of 10 years so all very excited. Slight issue with service to start with but once this got underway it was fine -- they seated us but then forgot to offer drinks whilst we were looking through the menu but the waiter that I eventually got hold of could not have been more pleasant. Food okay - starter was great but my main - in hindsight - I would have gone for something spicier - I had chicken in cashnew nuts which was fine but bland. Overall we had a lovely evening and so sorry to anyone that we were slightly rowdy (a bit loud - nothing else) towards the end!Special Features:
- Perfect pre theatreanonVIPDined on 19/6/2014Chose to eat here again after previous visit- excellent value- easily could have shared betw 3 (as we did last time!)! However waited 25 mins for bill after they gave us the dessert menu despite the fact that we were eating the meal deal which only comes w one dessert option! Which could have meant us being late for theatre! Would definitely eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well meaning but poor servicechoochDined on 14/6/2014I have been to this branch of Thai Square before and the food was and still is good. However I booked for the special deal this time and was not given the opentable special deal menu until I asked for it which I think was very poor. Then we were given our cocktails separately and one of us had to wait 10 minutes for the other one to arrive. We were served by 5 different waiters/waitresses who were all very pleasant but not very good. (We were given 2 plates of starters which should have only been one then one was whipped away quickly when they realised their mistake!) Deal and food was good though.Special Features:
- THAI SQUAREcg50Dined on 13/6/2014Had a great meal with the Top Table deal. The lunch boxes looked great value too. Good Thai foodSpecial Features:
- Very touristyMaggieDined on 11/6/2014I found my experience somewhat disappointing. The restaurant was very busy and we arrived at the same time as a very large group which took up the entire mezzanine floor. As a result, the restaurant was extremely noisy (drowning out the live musician and making conversation almost impossible), the staff were distracted and it took a very long time to place our orders. We opted for the Gold Set menu which sounded promising but when the food arrived it was mediocre and lukewarm (although the presentation was lovely). I think this would be a great place for a quick meal pre- or post-theatre but not somewhere for a nice evening meal.Special Features:
- Didn't believe we had a reservationNanoDined on 11/6/2014My friend arrived first and was told no reservation in my name. Then I arrived and they were still trying to tell me I didn't have a reservation despite my confirmation email. After 10 mins or so they eventually found that they had in fact received the OpenTable reservation just hadn't written it down. No apology for this but after another few minutes (and a reminder that we were waiting) they eventually seated us...then needed reminding anout bringing us menus and about another 10 minutes before they came to take our drinks order. Paying was difficult too - prolonged and agonising. So much for the planned quick-and-tasty pre-theatre meal! We won't be returning.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 27/5/2014Open table offer was good value. Nice atmosphere. Friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday surpriseFirbutDined on 13/5/2014I booked this excellent deal on behalf of my son for his girlfriend's birthday. I personally haven't eaten at this restaurant, but comes highly recommended. My son's girlfriend was very complementary about the food; service and ambience. She was really happy and loved the entire birthday experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing foodLionDined on 10/5/2014This conveniently located restaurant offers a potentially good deal for opentable patrons. Unfortunately, they did not have our reservation as they were working from a hand written reservation sheet. It took quite some convincing for them to offer us the three course meal deal we had booked. We even had to show a copy of the reservation. After we had sorted this the food we had picked (sampler starter, green chicken curry, and auberines) was deeply disappointing, unfortunately. It really lacked the taste and aroma which we so cherish in Thai cuisine. A shame!Special Features:
- Lovely thai foodfoodyloverDined on 10/5/2014Wh booked the set 3 course thai meal for 8 people and it was thoroughly enjoyed by all. Our party consisted of all age ranges including my daughter of 5 who ate all her food - very good appetite and she loved thai food!! Very good value for money, attentive staff, good choice of food on set menu. Will certainly return whether it be quick before theatre or for a longer slower paced meal. Would definately recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed myself againgreenappleVIPDined on 6/5/2014My favourite Thai place. What can I say that I haven't already said in the past.Special Features:
- FoodyFoodyDined on 30/4/2014The ambience and service was great. We ordered the vegetarian mixed starter. Was lovely with the exception of the parcels which tasted cheesy?? Main course was tofu and cashew nuts which unfortunatly was a bit tasteless. My partner had the lamb curry which he said was really lovely once the fat was removed. Dessert was v refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchMAK2VIPDined on 26/4/2014Recommend both the good value tasty lunch box and the set menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good serviceGoodeaterDined on 24/4/2014I would recommend to take your business partners here when you are on expense and want good service. Unfortunately, the taste of their food is all too extreme for me and my friend. Too sweet, too chili, too salty... No subtle-ness, so we could not taste the ingredients but just thick and heavy, overly seasoned things. Shame, when I wanted to taste fish, chicken, vegetables but only tasted tamarind, sugar, chili and salt. They should provide coat hanging as well as space to place handbags. Currently no space, so you have to either place your stuff behind the chair or behind your back. Neither is very easy due to the design of the chairs. Some cultures do not want personal possessions on the floor.Special Features:
- Yummy pre-theatre dinnerAnonVIPDined on 23/4/2014Handy for the Trafalgar Theatre, this is the place to go for a swift Thai before the theatre though I have been there for a special dinner with friends and it was a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pre-theatre optionDRSW18Dined on 22/4/2014Fresh food, served on time and in a pleasant environmentSpecial Features:
- JWCYDined on 16/4/2014It was a good experience and it is good for group bookings on a budget.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysgreenappleVIPDined on 15/4/2014Great as always and my out of town visitors were happy. I will be back again.Special Features:
- Good food & serviceAnonDined on 12/4/2014Our table was ready on Saturday at 5.30pm as booked and the staff were helpful and attentive from the moment we arrived. We were given the Top Table 'special offer' set menu which had a couple of platter choices to start & several options for main course. Everything was nicely presented, hot, ample portions and very tasty. The restaurant was busy and the pace of the meal was relaxed although the staff responded well when we asked for dessert to be served quickly as we were off to the theatre. A most enjoyable experience and we'd definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.