7 George Street
Hertfordshire, AL3 4ERNeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.albanyrestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 01727730888
- Hours of Operation:
Tues - Thurs: 6pm - 10pm Fri - Sun: 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Wine
A word from The Albany
The Albany is set in a unique, 18th century Grade II listed building in the heart of George Street in St Albans. The restaurant – with its dynamic bold red and white décor, wooden floors and cosy ambience – is frequented by city commuters, yummy mummies and fashionistas alike. The French-inspired modern European menu includes favourites such as the seared scallops, cauliflower puree, black pudding and pancetta; new season rack of Welsh lamb with tapenade mash, baby onions, sugar snaps and rosemary jus; and the poached fillet of sea bass ratatouille and basil oil. The chic atmosphere makes The Albany popular for business lunches, private dinner parties and stylish evening meals.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Albany reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great food, a little too quiet.albanEaterDined on 2/11/2012We went on a Friday night and there were only 4 tables occupied which impacted the ambience and I'm a little worried as the last couple of times I've been its been very quiet. The food was good, especially liked the Chateaubriand which is available for one person as opposed to usually being a minimum of two. The service was attentive but communication with the waiter was a bit challenging and I found he didn't understand my questions and we had to repeat our order a couple of times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Albany St AlbansLoveFoodVIPDined on 20/10/2012Consistently good food again. The Albany rarely disappoints and with the toptable offer for the set menu it offers good value for money. It is definitely one of my top choices for eating in St Albans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good valueJenksDined on 13/10/2012Eight of us dined here recently. Food and service were very good overall. My lamb was very fatty, but my fellow diners had great experiences. It was, however, disappointing to have to choose all three courses in advance and then not be able to have the most popular dessert choice. Thought the idea of pre-selection was to ensure it was available.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialLancepDined on 13/10/2012The albany was busy the night we arrived which is fine but I have a feeling that the staff were feeling the pressure a little as service was not quite up to scratch. Im not going to quote instances as to why I thought the service was lacking because they were fairly trivial. The starter was nice, ham hock and salmon salad, but the mains were disapointing. I had chateaubriand which was well cooked but not enough if it, my wife had a cassoulet, the pork was great but the dish was way to dry to be called a cassoulet, and in fact nearly inedible. In summary, a chain bistro would have been better, shame as i was hoping for more.
- Busy and noisy on SaturdaydodoDined on 6/10/2012Busy and noisy on Saturday evening. Tables rather close together. Service cheerful and slow. A la carte menu via Toptable was 4 pounds off the standard rate and was reasonable value. Portions were on the modest size but of good quality and nicely presented. Watch out for traffic wardens who had a field day (or, rather evening) in the street outside, until after 9pm!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great with our group of mumsCJ75Dined on 5/10/2012I have never before been but needed a place that would take a booking for 14 of us at a sensible time and through top table we found them. They gave us a menu for preorder (and a spreadsheet). Being organised I brought it with me also. But I needn't have. They knew who had ordered each dish and came out asking for us by name. With such a group you'd expect the food might not be top notch but amazingly it was. I am not sure how they did it. Great offer through top table also. I don't think I've ever received this sort of service as a large group before so can wholeheartedly recommend it and we were not one of those leery loud groups so don't worry the couples were not troubled by us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant eveningDiscerningDined on 22/9/2012Would recommend the chateaubriand, which was excellent. The scallops were slightly on the salty side, the chocolate mousse was delicious, but the caramelised peaches were unripe so rather hard. All in all the food was very good and the service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After visiting and recommendingtravel4foodDined on 22/9/2012After visiting and recommending this restaurant for years: a very disappointing evening. Decidedly poor.
- OKPlungerVIPDined on 22/9/2012I have eated at the Albany many times, tonight was OK, whereas normally it is much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our meal sounded good on thecas12Dined on 15/9/2012Our meal sounded good on the menu but the reality was a slight disappointment. I ordered scallops as a starter and received one scallop which had been carefully sliced up to appear as more and was, along with the pea puree, rather cold. My main of Sea Bass was also a tiny portion although it was quite tasty. My dining partner ordered the soup as a starter followed by cod. Both were adequate but not memorable. The service was quite good though.
- GreatJimbosjetsetDined on 8/9/2012Food was excellent, service good. Had the set menu and everything was very good and not pretentious. Needs a bit of a refurb. The toilets are a little pub like but dont let that stop you, good foor and the wine was well priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wednesday EveningPandJDined on 5/9/2012Thought we would try it. Write ups good but we felt it was in need of a refurb. Food fine. Value OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 18/8/2012I decided to book the Albany because we hadn't been for a long time and it's worth supporting a small independant. The layout and decor is odd to say the least, I want to leave a list along with the tip, of items that they should be fixing. However the food was excellent, really good quality and nicely cooked and presented. There will definately be a return visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Fab meal at The AlbanyAuroraVIPDined on 16/8/2012Once again The Albany delivered a superb dining experience. One thing that would make it even better is a 'Specials' menu for more menu variety.Special Features:
- Very good value mealfoodieDined on 11/8/2012My husband and I weren't sure what to make of The Albany when we walked into the restaurant last Saturday night but as meals were served to other diners we quickly looked forward to our food. The servings were generous and the food of the highest quality. According to the menu, all meat is sourced from Spitalfields and fish from Billingsgate. The staff were friendly and helpful despite the restaurant being full and particularly busy with a couple of large groups. If the restaurant was re-decorated it would be great for special occasions as it isn't particularly glamorous but for great food and a really reasonable price I'd certainly return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable family mealspringtimeDined on 28/7/2012The Albany in St Albans does not have a lot of atmosphere but if you want a good meal at a fair price it provided a good local venue for our family birthday party. We had vegetarian and fish dishes which were all considered tasty as well as the Chateaubriand which melted in the mouth. Would eat there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the superb chicken ballotine!RandALDined on 24/7/2012We had another lovely evening in The Albany in St Albans, enjoying the peaceful, relaxed atmosphere. You shouldn’t miss the superb chicken ballotine starter, which has a perfect balance of artichoke, chicken and ham with a fruity chutney. As usual, our waiter was very friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really disappointedJJOYDined on 14/7/2012I've dined at The Albany a good few times and have always been impressed with the menu, fresh food on offer, service, ambience and great cocktails, but the last two times have been really disappointing. It just feels like they've lost the love. The food was cold and tasteless and the toilets really smelt. Such a pity. Could be good again, just needs some tlc.
- We had a very pleasant evingNormaDined on 13/7/2012We had a very pleasant eving with cheerful friendly staff. The food was good value and well prepared.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super service, always veryPlungerVIPDined on 16/6/2012Super service, always very helpful. And very well priced for very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great VenueTrushaDined on 15/6/2012Booked a table for 6 on Friday night Menu and service was great. Everyone loved the food! Sat in the front of the restaurant, it was a little cold and lacked atmosphere, but other than that, it’s a great place We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BJBeejDined on 15/6/2012Good food, reasonably priced, great service but slightly lacking on atmosphere. Would go back.Special Features:
- A good meal of scallops andAuroraVIPDined on 13/6/2012A good meal of scallops and chateaubriand. Attentive service, unfortunately the bill mounts up with added service charge and vegetables as extrasSpecial Features:
- Food was all well presentedjenkoDined on 9/6/2012Food was all well presented and full of flavour. Service was slow on the Saturday night that we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again, a happy customer...ollybDined on 2/6/2012Always a pleasure to eat at the Albany. We made a last-minute booking and got an early table, which suited us fine but meant that we were one of just two occupied tables for much of the meal. But the food was up to the high standard we've come to expect and our guest was impressed at what was on offer. My only gripes are that it always feels like we're squeezed into the room, and everything slightly precarious as the waiters and diners move about. Equally you often feel on top of other diners conversations. I don't know how they'd do it, but creating the sense of more space would make this a perfect venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dated decor, tasty foodAsparaGusDined on 2/6/2012Went for lunch on 2 June. The interior is a little shabby, and the restaurant was empty (other than us) at 12.45. Service unhurried despite being the only table. On the plus side - my wife and her father both loved the food (they went for seafood). Mine was good but let down by annoying points of details - the truffle cream on my starter tasted entirely of cream, and my belly pork (while cooked beautifully) sadly hadn't been trimmed properly so had bone and cartlidge running through it. If they lightened the decor and put a bit more energy into the details this would be a cracking restaurant.Special Features:
- Evening DinnerBarryDined on 1/6/2012Meal very good, had a 3 course meal which was good value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Albany, again!HugoDined on 29/5/2012We are regularly visiting the Albany and are so convinced of the place that we even took my parents (highly spoily foodies and gourmets from Switzerland) and our closest friends there. And we have never been disappointed. The food is (well no wonder as it is a french restaurant) influenced by the great french cuisine. (The traditional one, not the over-exaggerated younger sibling nouvelle cuisine). A great selection cooked to perfection. But what makes us come back again and again is the charming, attentive service and the little individual touches like the complimentary amuse bouche. Together with the great atmosphere of the restaurant one of the best restaurants I know.Special Features:
- We had a lovely meal, theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 25/5/2012We had a lovely meal, the food was great and the service excellent.Special Features:
- The Albany St AlbansAnonDined on 23/5/2012Good food, a little pricey but the top table deal is well worth it. There was no real need for extra vegetables as the plates came with plenty of food. The desserts were a bit unsual, mousse with meringue inside it was definitely different. The restaurant feels cosy due to the size and age of the building, but the tables aren't too close togehter. The red leather seating fits in well with the exposed beams.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is fab at the Albanymep33Dined on 22/5/2012The food is fab at the Albany and very reasonably priced. Tuesday night was a little quiet so ambience lacking a little.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The AlbanyLoveFoodVIPDined on 22/5/2012The Albany has a great selection of food on the set menu. The food was as good as usual, very friendly service and good value for money particularly with the toptable deal.Special Features:
- Super service, very friendlyPlungerVIPDined on 19/5/2012Super service, very friendly and outstanding value. sit at the back not the front - too noisy.Special Features:
- The AlbanymartDined on 19/5/2012The chateaubriand was strangely tender but with a beautiful flavour, potatoes not freshly roasted, but the white chocolate creme brulee was sensational. food was well presented and the overall ambience was very pleasant.Special Features:
- Happy eatingEatentoomuchDined on 18/5/2012We have had a few family meals here recently and the food is always great. The service can be slow but you forgive that when you have good value quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Albany St AlbansMaxieDined on 15/5/2012Very pleasant evening, Although it seemed like a restaurant of two halves. We sat at the back. Food was nicely presentedSpecial Features:
- The Albany, St AlbansGourmandeDined on 12/5/2012The Albany in St Albans Hertfordshire is a hidden gem. Good food, interesting menu and lovely ambience. We have eaten there many times and will still be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another enjoyable visit toTheOscarHHDined on 6/5/2012Another enjoyable visit toThe Albany. We have only ever been for lunch - always very good - but hope to try the dinner menu sometime.
- Our third visit to The Albany,LinlipDined on 5/5/2012Our third visit to The Albany, St Albans. Very good value on the Top Table offer of 3 courses for £22.95 or 2 courses for £17.95. The food is excellent and the staff very polite and attentive. Will definitely be back for a fourth visit.
- We went to The Albany at 8pmOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/5/2012We went to The Albany at 8pm on Saturday and we were seated in the doorway of the back room, which wasn't great. However the waiter moved us when another table came up. Service was very efficient (though the bread took ages to arrive and eventually came after the starters!). The food was excellent - crab and salmon starters were followed by superb chateaubriand and very tasty duck, both cooked to perfection. Nice desserts too. Good wine selection and all very competitively priced. Would return!