10 Thornhill Road
London, N1 1HWNeighbourhood:
EnglishPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.the-albion.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7607 7450
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12.00 pm-3.00 pm
Saturday: 12.00 pm-4.00 pm
Sunday: 12.00 pm-9.00 pm
Monday - Saturday: 6.00 pm-10.00 pm
Sunday: 12.00 pm-9.00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Albion is the perfect location for your special event whether a birthday, business function or wedding, from a large table to the hire of the entire pub including the garden.
Our chefs will adapt to all food requirements, from snacks to banquets, with Whole Roast Suckling Pig a crowd pleasing speciality.
- Private Party Contact: Jana Koubova 02076077450
A word from The Albion
The Albion is a Georgian gem left over from a time when Islington was fields and farmland, and where the regulars would take afternoon walks out of the city to visit us. We have a lovely garden which resembles places found in the South of France with the wisteria blooming and the willow creating a nice and relaxed atmosphere. In the back of the garden is an old barn which used to be a bar, and the rumour is that the Sex Pistols played their first concert in the barn. Inside, the log fires create a lovely atmosphere during the cold months, where you can wrap up and enjoy a drink or food both in our dining room and bar areas. We are frequented by regulars from our local area as well as their dogs. We happily provide both water and biscuits for visiting dogs and love to have them around. One of our specialities is a whole roast suckling pig with all the trimmings (buttered carrots and greens, roast potatoes, gravy and apple sauce).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Eating
- Diners' Choice WinnerSunday Lunch
The Albion - Best restaurants in Barnsbury ›
The Albion reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since 24 November 2013
sunday lunch (65)outdoor eating (52)group bookings (29)fit for foodies (27)special occasions (23)romance (14)brunch (14)child friendly (11)disabled access (7)good vegetarian options (5)outstanding value (4)business meals (4)pre/post theatre (4)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- TheHillsider2TheHillsider2Dined on 21/11/2014As ever the Albion provided my fiancé and me perfect service and wonderful, imaginative and tasty food. We love it's location and ambiance. A hardy perennial !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pub FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 20/11/2014The food here is always consistently good. Although the service is a little sketchy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousBabsMDined on 9/11/2014I had a fabulous Sunday lunch, the food was great as was the service. I spilled red wine on my pink sweater and the waitress brought lemon and salt over without me asking and it worked, Italy took the stain out.Special Features:
- one problemBerrynarborDined on 17/10/2014Great place but the night we went it was full of large groups and very, very noisy :-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cosy pub atmosphereNul123Dined on 10/10/2014The pub is very welcoming and cosy. The food was tremendous -- innovative starters, very good hamburgers and fish cakes, a delightful waitress. The wine list could use a bit updating... more than one Chardonay and Pino Grigio would be useful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food and atmosphereJJL19Dined on 2/10/2014we got to the pub quite late in the week so I cannot really judge of the ambience but my friends that already came previously told me it was normally packed! Good food (yummy burger!) and great service. I hope to go back soon to try their terrace!Special Features:
- MsMisslondonDined on 19/9/2014Great atmosphere and service but good really overpriced for what it was.Special Features:
- Very Good PubLondonerDined on 10/9/2014Good gastro pub with large outside garden space. Food is very good.Special Features:
- Non-existant customer serviceFoodie1Dined on 4/9/2014Beware if you take a large group to this restaurant. 10 of us booked for what was supposed to be a very special occasion. Despite 2 confirmation emails and 1 confirmation telephone call we were only told when we sat down at our table (having been there for an hour and spent a lot on drinks in the garden) that we had to choose from a reduced menu. This meant a choice of three starters and three main courses. When we protested, we were told very aggressively that it was on the email that they sent (which it wasn't) and that it would spoil it for the other diners if we were to have the a la carte menu. The two very unhelpful and rude members of staff completely ruined our evening.
- Albion PubGilly22Dined on 20/8/2014Meeting close friends and family here was a great choice as food was good and staff were lovely. Thank you Albion !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet pub foodCacaMilisDined on 8/8/2014Good food and nice atmosphere; we were kept inside because of the rain but it was still a lovely evening.Special Features:
- CasualDinerDined on 6/8/2014For some reason (perhaps it was busy) we found it very difficult to get served and had to keep asking for things several times before we actually got them; it is quite aggravating to have to keep asking for bottles of water. The staff also seemed rather harried. It's a shame because it's a lovely pub and dog-friendly as well.
- There were snails in the saladalixxgDined on 4/8/2014The watercress was not washed properly and there were 3 water snails on my plate that I found after I had eaten most of my food. The service was terrible. The lady that say us to dinner didn't give us any menus and I had to keep getting up and going to the bar for service.Special Features:
- Good Wholesome FoodSmarterKenDined on 20/6/2014Sunny days or rainy days, the food and service at The Albion is great! Good portions of wholesome cooked food. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GardenCaroHDined on 6/6/2014As always, a beautiful place with a gem of a garden.Special Features:
- Amazing steakDinerDined on 30/5/2014I've recently had one of the best steaks I've ever eaten at the Albion. Seriously good food and great ambiance, there's also a lovely beer garden!Special Features:
- PerfectOliviaDined on 26/5/2014Such a wonderful lunch! I had to find somewhere suitable for a group aged 9 months to over 70 and this was perfect. The food was just delicious, the service was so friendly and relaxed. It was honestly just perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service very slowAnonDined on 19/5/2014We've been to the Albion a number of times but hadn't been recently. We'd forgotten that the service can be quite slow when you sit outside. It took a long time to take our order and to bring our bill. The set up was a little odd as well in that we weren't allowed to order without starting a tab. Still, a very pleasant atmosphere and the food was good.
- The service was shocking!AnonDined on 17/5/2014We sat down at 8.15pm for dinner and did not receive our starters till 9.30pm. After requesting if we could receive the mains quite quickly after we had finished the starters they again did not arrive until 10.15pm with 2 people not receiving their mains till 10 minutes after everyone else and the steak sauces not been received despite requesting several times. The food was actually good but the service was so bad I would not recommend this restaurant at all.
- Lovely food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/5/2014Our evening at the Albion was great - the food was good (if a little pricey for pub meals) and the service was friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Very busyMademoiselleluluDined on 16/5/2014Great place, we had a dinner outside. Good food. It was crowded and thus the service was poor...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost a 4 out of 5SteveVIPDined on 5/5/2014When the weather is nice, dining outside rocks. Good food too
- Stick to drinksdreams16Dined on 1/5/2014Nice old-school pub atmosphere but reserve for a very special occasion if you want to eat as it's quite expensive. We were three people and the bill came to £190. Food was ok but overpriced what what you get.Special Features:
- Albion.. Ok for a drink!Luv2cookDined on 30/4/2014Mixed reviews made us sceptical..so when the food arrived we realised many were spot on. The service was fine and quite friendly..the young wait staff very helpful about our wine selection...the special Crispy Duck Salad was way below the standard expected of a12 GBP meal.....Thai dressing barely noticeable...more leaves than duck..forget about crisp...just a few shreds of dry meat. My partners Lamb Rump...barely cooked...we are well aware of the way Lamb may be cooked...BUT...he was not asked how he preferred it cooked.. There is a difference between rare and raw! We should have had it returned to the kitchen. Sadly not the British Pub meal we had hoped for.Special Features:
- stunionDined on 27/4/2014We have been going to the Albion for two years, but our last couple of visits have been disappointing. The welcome left a lot to be desired. No flexibility about choice of seating even though tables we suggested remained empty even after we left. We thought about an aperitif in the garden, but they were pushing us to sit down and order even though the next booking for our table wasn't for 3 hours. They got both our initial drinks and wine order wrong. The overall food was poor when it used to be so good. We chose aged rib of beef, but it had a lot of fat and gristle. Vegetables were overcooked and carrots were burnt. The couple next to use who had travelled from Bow for a special occasion meal also complained of their poor experience
- Bad serviceHowdyDined on 20/4/2014The service was terrible, we were a table of 8 and had to wait 30 minutes for someone to take our order, then had to wait 1 1/2 hours for our main meal to come. Portion sizes were small for the price, I had the pork, which contained, 4 roast potatoes, two roast parsnips, one half roast carrot, a lot of cabbage and a very small bit of pork. Don't think the kitchen could take the size of the pub.Special Features:
- Nice pub food.CarnivoreVIPDined on 19/4/2014Good gastro-pub food, reasonably priced. Can't complainSpecial Features:
- 3 strikesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014The Albion is resting on it's reputation but the fact is, it's just not that good. With a Myriad of other Gastro pubs in the area doing fantastic fare, I (and my entire household) won't be bothering to go back for another sub-standard, overpriced evening. We've been there 3 times in the past 3 months: 1. We opted in for the suckling pig @ £350 w 'all the trimmings....' I don't think 10kg of under cooked carrots, some cabbage and some pretty underwhelming roast spuds classifies. Additionally the meat was spartan and flavourless. 2. We booked a table for an afternoon roast on a sunday: 3/4 roasts were sold out, as were both specials. 3. Friday: 2 x lamb raw not rare, mixed up the order, scallop starter sliced in half to resemble 2. A joke
- Good Sunday RoastJTslimDined on 6/4/2014I read quite few reviews of the Albion before visiting. I was slightly skeptical but I'm glad I went. Told a member of staff we were here for our half seven booking and as we were a little early, she said our table wasn't ready yet. Not a problem as we were seated on time. I ordered the beef, which came with one think slice of beef, a carrot, a parsnip, roast potatoes, peas, a yorkshire pudding and gravy. It was well cooked, but I think another slice of beef would of been a nice addition. The food was actually really tasty. It did come 30 minutes after we ordered, but this wasn't a problem as Sunday roasts should be a relaxing experience. Service was very good and I cannot really fault the place. Will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunchGeorgieDined on 6/4/2014My wife and I came here on a birthday trip to London. We had Sunday lunch at the Albion. It was our first visit to the Albion and to Islington. Some of the recent negative reviews regarding waiting times and staff behaviour on Tripadvisor and TopTable made us a bit trepidatious. Our fears were unfounded - the food and service were excellent. The setting is wonderful - didn't know there were such quiet, leafy areas in London. As good a Sunday lunch as we have had anywhere in UK - the Belly Pork was outstanding. The sirloin was very good - but the portion of beef served was a bit meagre - and this is the only gripe we had. Will definitely recommend the Albion to friends and family and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Late LunchMarkyDined on 29/3/2014Booked a table for 3 people for 3pm on Saturday. Shown to a table in the garden at 3 and placed our order at c3.10. Were asked to leave a credit card before getting any drinks which we didn't like but complied. Waitress warned we might have a longer wait as had chosen a hot starter (scallops) - surely these take no time to cook? Explained we were going to the Arsenal match (k.o. 5.30) and needed to leave by 4.45, assuming this would not be a problem. Starters didn't come until 4, an hour after we had sat down. Reiterated the need for us to leave at 4.45 but after much chasing including threatening to walk out, main courses arrived at 4.40 - had to bolt the food down, ruining any enjoyment. Overall, very disappointing.
- I have dinned here a coupleMRH01VIPDined on 25/3/2014I have dinned here a couple of times before, it is a lovely old pub with lots of character, & whilst in the past it has been very good, this time it was rather disappointing. Service was very slow, had I not caught the eye of the waitress I fear we could still be waiting for drinks now! Starters were ok... though mains were very disappointing. They were presented very well, however, my chicken pie was very oily & my colleagues triple fried chips were described as "like taking a mouthful of the Mediterranean" (a tad salty!). Sorry to say that this is not somewhere I'll be rushing back to...Special Features:
- our meal took 3 1/2 hours...nikkiDined on 23/3/2014our meal took 3 1/2 hours... we made a reservation at 6:30 so we could get home early and then we spent the entire night waiting for our food :( :( :(Special Features:
- Good food, but service lets it downSundaylunchDined on 23/3/2014Had Sunday lunch here on 23rd March. Had booked a table in advance and the restaurant was clearly very busy but just had to wait 15 mins in the bar before being seated. Atmosphere was really nice and the building itself is lovely. The quality of the food was really good but could have been a bit warmer. The dessert was also amazing. However, the service let the experience down a bit. We had about 4 or 5 different waiters serving us, they were incredibly slow to bring water, food, dessert, drinks etc and they were all rushing around in a very disorganised manner. The table beside us had to wait more than one hour between their starter and main. overall, I would eat here again but if the service was no better, it would be my last time.Special Features:
- Waited 1he 15mins for foodDeepsand80Dined on 23/3/2014Ruined what would have been a nice evening for me and my six friends. They said food would be 30mins. In the end we waited over 1hr 15 mins. It was particularly unfortunate as I have a young toddler who was getting fractious after waiting around so long. The waiter also smashed a whole load of wine glasses whilst clearing up an empty table next to us. Thankfully they did take 25% off food and we did not pay the service charge but we would much rather have had a meal on time. Food itself was ok - I had the fishcake which was dry; they really need to serve it with a sauce like Hollandaise. Overall very disappointing. I will never, ever return to the Albion during peak times.
- Could be wonderfulKC1980Dined on 16/3/2014Good food, lousy service. What a pity. Recently moved to the area and had heard many good things. I booked 6 of us in for late Sunday lunch - including my cousin who was on honeymoon with his wife who had never been to the UK. Service was awful. It took ages to get served drinks & for food to arrive. Plates remained in front of us so long we ended up getting front of house to clear them - no waiter/waitress in sight. I don't understand why with such a large number of covers they would not have had more staff on for a Sunday. To their credit they refunded our starters as a sign of good will, but just investing in more and better staff would have meant they didn't have to do this. We weren't the only ones who ended up with money off...Special Features:
- Horrible servicePamariDined on 15/3/2014My friends and I ordered drinks, waited half an hour whilst reminding any server that came our way, and eventually walked out never having received our drinks.
- Vastly overrateddebraunDined on 14/3/2014We went to the Albion for dinner, after many people advised us to go and reading enthusiastic reviews online. As soon as we stepped in there was a very intense and pretty disgusting smell of toilet. They gave us a table in a corner but very close to the bar. There were people standing having their pints literally two steps away. The whole place was therefore very noisy and crowded, and the music didn't help. Waiters were nice and helpful, but we had to wait for an hour and a half to get our food!!! They did not even apologise for that. The food itself was good, but nothing special. Posh pub food. Not good value for money though as we spent 25 pounds each for a main course and a pint each. No starters, no dessert. Not recommended.
- Dinner with friendsCharlestonDined on 8/3/2014Dined at The Albion with friends on a recent Saturday. Very pleasant experience all around: lively atmosphere, nice decor, eclectic mix of guests, tasty food, very good value for money. Service was a bit slow/junior but still decent. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Food great, ambience awfulJuanittoDined on 8/3/2014Fantastic food, but not a place for a quiet, intimate dining experience. It was very noisy, too many tables squashed in, we sat on a thorough fare for the gents, the kitchen and en route to other tables! We did ask to move but not possible. The food however was superb!Special Features: