The Alpine Restaurant
135 High road
Bushey Heath, WD23 1JANeighborhood:
ItalianPrice: £26 to £40
The Alpine Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thealpinerestaurant.co.uk/
- Phone: 02089502024
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 12:00PM - 02:30PM; Sunday: 12:00PM - 03:00PM,
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 06:30PM - 10:00PM; Sunday: 07:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Italian
- Executive Chef: James Harkin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Italian/ Modern European
- Private Party Facilities: We are able to cater for private functions of upto 45 people in the upstairs of the Alpine where we have a newly refurbished private dining room with air conditioning, self contained bar area and personal waiting staff. For larger parties it is possible to hire the downstairs of the restaurant or the Garden terrace weather permitting.
- Private Party Contact: Mark Schipper 02089502024
A word from The Alpine Restaurant
Established in 1969 by Giacomo and Marisa Harkin, the Restaurant is still owned and run by the founding family. It is a landmark which sits proudly on the Hertfordshire and Greater London boundary. An old 19th Century Tudor building renovated recently but still retaining all its warmth and character. At the Alpine we still endevour to do what we have been doing for nearly 40 years : welcoming our customers to our lovely environment serving the best ingredients the markets have to offer, cooking them simply with modern techniques embracing an old Italian style!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Alpine Restaurant - Best restaurants in Bushey ›
The Alpine Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since 20 May 2014
special occasions (48)romance (29)fit for foodies (23)business meals (22)group bookings (15)sunday lunch (12)good vegetarian options (7)disabled access (6)outdoor eating (5)outstanding value (5)brunch (3)child friendly (3)pre/post theatre (3)Show More
- DeliciousFoodExpertDined on 6/9/2014You can tell the pasta is homemade and is cooked perfectly, with unctuous sauces full of flavour. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Fit for a celebrationLeighD13Dined on 6/9/2014I went here to celebrate my engagement and we had a great meal. The pumpkin soup was lovely and the beef medallions were a fine main course, with plenty of tasty accompaniments. The service was a little slow with what felt like an hour between the starer and main but other than that can't fault it. A hidden gem in BusheySpecial Features:
- Menu looked promisingKerstinDined on 5/9/2014We were exited by the choice on the menu but the staff could clearly not cope with a busy Friday night. We were put off by every single table around us having a complaint, the pasta was deliciously cooked but was Luke warm on top, no Parmesan was offered, sauce had small pieces of crabshell in. We were asked after two minutes if we were ready to order and when we were not quite ready , it then took 20 minutes for somebody to come back.Special Features:
- sassicheDined on 29/8/2014very good food, well presented and not too expensive
- Anniversary DinnerHelenTDined on 23/8/2014Four couple celebrate our anniversaries together every year and we have dined at The Alpine 3 or 4 times. We went on a Saturday night (we normally go during the week) and it was extremely busy. The service was good although we had quite a long wait between the starter and the main courses. The food was excellent; we all selected different dishes - meat, fish and vegetarian options and everyone was happy. The portions are generous and the staff friendly and helpful. The restaurant kindly brought us sweets and a glass of bubbly to celebrate the occasion - a gesture very much appreciated by all of us. They have an excellent wine list which is very comprehensive and reasonable. We hope to be going back next year - if not sooner!Special Features:
- Feeling hungry?Diamond64Dined on 20/8/2014Portions at The Alpine are properly huge. Soups are served in vast bowls that could each serve as a tureen for the whole table; starter protions of pasta are bigger than many West End main courses. The quality of everything we ate was very good but, my goodness, there was no question of us tackling a dessert after the mountain of food we'd been offered for the first two courses. Service was freindly, but the room was quite tightly crammed with noisy, moneyed suburbanites, which didn't do much for the ambiance. Overall a nice meal, but maybe not somewhere we'd hurry back to.
- Good food - well servedAnonDined on 7/8/2014Good food served well. We enjoyed our visit - we've been before and hope to come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedindiekidDined on 2/8/2014First let me say the food was excellent, especially the pasta. However we were in an upstairs room with no atmosphere and a surly waiter who couldn't pour the wine without spilling it. Also a contorno never arrived. I had told the restaurant it was a birthday celebration so was hoping for better. Avoid unless you only care about the foodSpecial Features:
- Excellent CuisineLoverOfItalianFoodDined on 23/7/2014Delicious food, plentiful, very well presented. The menu offered a very good choice of dishes. Good value in view of the original way of preparing the dishes which were cooked to perfection. The hors d'oeuvre was grilled sardines, followed by liver with polenta and onion. The liver just melted in one's mouth! Could not fault anything. Well worth eating in The Alpine. Service good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kornosDined on 4/7/2014excellent food excellent service; thought the decor was too severe and certainly did not create the Italian ambience; the padded austere brown walls were more apt for a psychiatric unit than a restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, and v personal serviceBeancounterDined on 28/6/2014Outstanding meal at the Alpine for two last Saturday, was very impressed with the service which was personal and very attentive,with the staff guiding you through the menu very well. And what great food, the lamb was melt in the mouth delicious, probably the single best dish I have eaten in over a year and even my simple fruit salad dessert was faultless with a huge variety and beautifully presented. Great advice also on the wine, which complimented the food wonderfully. A memorable eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SlobDined on 26/6/2014Good quality Italian food, portions unnecessarily large, but all very tasty, recommend for very tasty Italian experience with good service.Special Features:
- dd21Dined on 20/6/2014Had a great time! Nice & relaxed ambiance. Food was yummy!Special Features:
- Very enjoyable nightPaulTDined on 7/6/2014The service was great the food was great we had a very nice evening. Thank you PaulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/6/2014Delicious food _ very good service _ would highly recommend.
- 50th BirthdayCelegrationGrcEugeDined on 24/5/2014My wife and I have been coming to the Alpine Restaurent in Bushey for many years. We chose the restaurant to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday party with our 6 of our closest friends. The staff ensured that we have a truly memorable evening. Food and service were outstanding and everyone enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would not go backfabfoodDined on 17/5/2014service was poor and aggressive, food was acceptableSpecial Features:
- AlpinePaulDined on 9/5/2014Invariably brilliant on the food and service side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionPippaTDined on 4/4/2014We were celebrating my son's passing his Black Belt grading, as usual the team made it a special occasion for my son, with a lovely surprise message on his dessert. The food was great as usual along with the service. The fish main courses were exceptional, really fresh, and the dessert of hot chocolate pudding and the lemon tarte were delightful (definitely recommended).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers day/Birthday DinnerSexAndTheCity2DinnerDined on 30/3/2014Went here for a special birthday on mothers day, but we went as a group of 7 - all adults and were put in the upstairs room with a big family of 20+ with loud playful children. My husband was hit on the head with a flying toy. Was not peaceful or ambient, it didn't ruin our meal but it took away from the atmosphere for us and the fact that we were paying for a special treat..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A 3 generation mother's day lunch.thebestisgoodenoughDined on 30/3/2014We 3 turned up for lunch on Mother's Day. It took me a moment to realise that we were outside in a kind of marquee arrangement. Also unexpected was a 3 piece band playing old standards, some with an Italian theme. It was all a little different from what we had expected, but none the worse for that. We had the usual delicious food and drink, but did feel a little as if we had the B team serving us, rather chaotic. However inside did seem very crowded and hot so we were in the right place. A very jolly lunch although my daughter hates music whilst food is being served, whereas my mother and I both rather loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, shame about the servicenonibDined on 30/3/2014As the title of my review suggests, if you are looking for great food this is the place for you, however if you want great service as well, probably give this a miss. The lady owner needs to take a step back and let her staff manage as they were doing perfectly fine. We were asked 2 times whether we had finished by her when clearly we hadn't and then while we were sitting enjoying a drink she came over and reached across us to take away the salt and pepper pots from the table?? Was that necessary. I don't think so. When you are playing £150+ for a Sunday lunch for 3 people I expect exceptional service to go with the amazing food. Sadly that wasn't the case. Will I go again... I'm not so sure....Special Features:
- Best Italian so far !JackDined on 21/3/2014The place was lovely, great ambiance, excellent food quality and quantity. Best Italian place so far !Special Features:
- Lovely!HappyDinerDined on 1/3/2014Booked this for last Saturday, after a number of recommendations. Food was really great, service was impeccable & friendly & the restaurant decor was great - can't fault it at all. Perhaps a little pricey but would recommend it & will be visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always choose the Alpinenigelt0Dined on 1/3/2014We always choose the Alpine to celebrate a special occasion, and they never disappoint. This time we were presented with a birthday dessert without even asking for it - the waiter obviously overheard us talking and arranged it with the chef. Service is always just right - attentive but not too stuffy or overbearing, and the food is high quality and full of flavour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waited 2.5 hours for main courseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/3/2014We arrived for a birthday ceiebration (party of 9)at 7.30pm last Saturday At 10 pm we still had not been served our main Courses. The manager said that there was a New menu for march and the chef needed more Time . The menus we were given were a bit dog Eared and said February ! The food when it arrived was excellent and could Not be faulted and our bill was adjusted for The aggravation as well as free prosecco . So if You are not in a rush or too hungry this may suit You
- Always hits the spotGranpamoeDined on 16/2/2014Very happy with this restaurant and the exquisite menu and great service!Special Features:
- A taste of Italy in Bushey!HowiesdinnersDined on 14/2/2014Despite the appalling weather, a visit to The Alpine on Valentine's night was well worth battling the elements! The restaurant was busy and the atmosphere very welcoming. The service was as exceptional as was the food and I would recommend the veal milanese! A great local restaurant which can accommodate some on site customer parking and ample options within a short walk if full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyMarkosDined on 14/2/2014Had a lovely time, taking my girlfriend for valentines day. Presentation of The Alpine was great for the evening with that romantic feel. Having a nice range of food to choose from with care and detail of taste taken into consideration. I will be coming back in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely worth a visit.JevanosDined on 14/1/2014Went for my anniversary, seriously good food and fantastic service. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Started off well...simwoozDined on 11/1/2014I booked for my mother's birthday, so a special occasion. The welcome at the door was lukewarm but OK. The food was delicious, but the service was average (one of the waiters was great, but the rest sadly were not). So probably would have scored a "good" to "very good" for the evening, until.. we went to get our coats from the cloakroom, and they had lost my partner's coat. An expensive coat, and it was a very cold evening. The waiter was very apologetic, but nevertheless we were coatless and leaving the restaurant on a very cold evening to get the bus. Fortunately we got a lift, but I would have expected that the least that they could have done was check that we were ok to get home, and if not, book us a cab to get us home. Shame.Special Features:
- very goodolprDined on 19/12/2013as always we really enjoyed the meal at the alpine today. The pasta was particularly outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing too much troubleaa2mkDined on 19/12/2013From the onset everything went well, Parking, Greeting , choice of table, time to order and eat at your own pace...and the costs.................... all most acceptable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodfootyDined on 14/12/2013A lovely evening which we really enjoyed! Good food a great value! We will defiantly go again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and PoorOlivioDined on 14/12/2013Food was mediocre.cold and expensive. Service was appalling
- A real restaurant near WatfordscofferDined on 7/12/2013You are given a nice welcome when you arrive. The food is far better than you might expect in this has very few decent restaurants. Worth a vist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have dined at the AlpineJeffDined on 7/12/2013I have dined at the Alpine on a number of occasions and the restaurant and staff never disappoint. Good food freshly prepared and served efficiently by a courteous and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of Italycazzy29Dined on 6/12/2013I was thoroughly impressed with the Alpine, most of the waiting staff are Italian so you feel like you are in a restaurant in Italy not in the middle of Bushey, the food was authentically Italian, the pasta was beautiful. The staff were very attentive throughout the evening but not the extent of constant interruptions. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who fancies a special treat for an anniversary or birthday, it is reasonably priced and the food is of the highest quality.Special Features:
- Just right.Matt4f00dDined on 4/12/2013A very good evening with fine food and wine in a comfortable setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always this restaurantgoonerDined on 21/11/2013As always this restaurant is consistent only in it inconsistency. The previous meal was excellent this one was decideledly avaerage. This was due to a wrongly described starter which had to be changed and two of our party having the usually excellent fish arriving cold. Not really good enough.