The Ambrette at Margate
44 King Street
Margate, CT9 1QENeighbourhood:
Contemporary IndianPrice: £25 and under
The Ambrette at Margate
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://theambrette.co.uk/
- Phone: 01843231504
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Tuesday to Sunday: 11.30am to last orders 2.30pm
Dinner Tuesday to Thursday: 6.00pm to last orders 9.30pm
Dinner Friday to Sunday: 5.30pm to last orders 10.00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Indian
- Executive Chef: Dev Biswal
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Ambrette at Margate
The Ambrette is a multi-award winning restaurant in Kent. The restaurant is the creation of Chef Dev Biswal. It prides itself on high quality of service and unique, exotic ingredients. It is a magical blend of innovation, style and tradition. It has achieved numerous awards and recognitions from The Michelin Guide,The Good Food Guide, SqaureMeal, Top table, Kent County Council and other well known restaurant guides. Executive chef Dev Biswal uses rare and exotic ingredients with subtle flavours and spices and a unique style of presentation to create a culinary art form.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Ambrette at Margate - Best restaurants in Margate ›
The Ambrette at Margate reviews from OpenTable diners
222 reviews since 20 October 2013
fit for foodies (166)special occasions (145)good vegetarian options (99)outstanding value (91)romance (64)business meals (60)sunday lunch (44)group bookings (35)pre/post theatre (27)child friendly (15)disabled access (12)brunch (8)outdoor eating (1)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- Our first time but not our last!manokentDined on 11/10/2014Although we arrived very early for our booking, staff looked after us from the start. You cant help be impressed at the wide range of awards on display which we were to discover were well earned. The decor is simple and comfortable and not over cramped, you do not feel like your intruding on fellow diners. We went for a starter and main each, I had the pigeon and mutton, and my wife had the potato roll and aubergine. All of our dishes were simply divine, with simple unpretentious presentation but packed with amazing and complimentary flavours. The additional touches were also very welcome, from the complimentary dumpling to the fun popping grenita. All in all an excellent dining experience, and priced very reasonably considering.Special Features:
- Wonderful birthday mealReetPetiteDined on 5/10/2014We have been to the Ambrette many times and can honestly say we have never had a less than superb meal. The service is friendly and professional, never intrusive. We hope to visit again, soon, and would recommend the restaurant to anyone who enjoys fine dining with a spicy touch.Special Features:
- Quirky Indian fusioncerigomerjamesVIPDined on 4/10/2014Great quality ingredients make a fine twist on Indian / contemporary food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodJane5Dined on 4/10/2014A wonderful lunch with excellent food. The service is always friendly . I will have to stop taking friends there as many are planning their travel arrangements to repeat the experience. They are prepared to travel a long way so how will I know if they have come to see me or The Ambrette!! : )Special Features:
- Always memorableAlanGDined on 24/9/2014Brought some friends to my favourite Margate restaurant. They both said it was one of the best meals they have ever had! Food and service excellent. The Dosai was delicate yet finely flavoured, the mutton melted in the mouth with delicious taste sensations, and the chocolate samosas were out of this world. Very highly recommended.Special Features:
- VerySatisfiedCustomerDined on 17/9/2014Our meal and the service was excellent and the discount they give for senior citizens at lunchtime is very much appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out standing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 16/9/2014We have visited the Ambrette, Margate on a number of occassions and have never been disappointed. The food is beautifully presented and the staff are very knowledgeable about the menu and the ingredients. The Privilege Club lunch time dinning is fantastic value and the food and presentation are not compromised in any way. Portions are a little smaller but more than adequate. This restaurant is strongly recommended for anyone who enjoys Indian cuisine using locally sourced produce.Special Features:
- Lovely mealjaney0184Dined on 7/9/2014Great flavours, intrestresting menu and good service. Free items given in between courses and staff very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant Food & Servicecrofty53Dined on 3/9/2014Food with an air of India, served with style and an explanation of everything on the plate. Excellent value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingclouiseDined on 30/8/2014This was my second visit, I didn't love it the first time but thought it might be worth a second chance. This however, was never going to change the tired interior and the tiny tables that you can barely get your legs under. It was very much a dinner of two halves .. an amazing starter (faultless & utterly delicious) but my main was pathetic by comparison. I ordered the Thali, hoping for delicious little bowls of beautifully spiced veggies & lentils .. what I actually was luke-warm dollops of each of their veggie side dishes (a really take take on the Thali concept) not one of which I would have said was really tasty. Utterly disappointing.
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/8/2014The welcome was warm enough but we were served by every waiter over the course of the meal and it lacked the personal feel. When asked specifically about an item on the menu which was an unusual description the waiter was not able to explain, which, given the type of food being served was disappointing. Some of the food was great and different and exciting other elements were poorly constructed and lacking interest. Staff just didn't seem that enthusiastic and were poorly organised.
- Great foodkinnukesDined on 29/8/2014Loved the whole experience, great food and outstanding value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 28/8/2014As usual fresh local produce imaginatively prepared. The best indian cuisine restaurant around.Special Features:
- Too long between coursesEatupDined on 25/8/2014We love the Ambrette at Margate but the last couple of times have been disappointed by the long wait. Last time it was over an hour between starter and main which is unacceptable apart from that it's the best food in Thanet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambrette in MargatememacVIPDined on 24/8/2014The food at Ambrette is really bursting with flavours. Each mouthful is an explosion of taste! Everything on the menu is appealing, and they also bring you little treats throught the meal. A must experience if you are on the kentish coast!Special Features:
- MargatepaulineDined on 23/8/2014Second visit to this great restaurant. We had the tasting menu with wine which was a great treat and very good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot on again!NickBDined on 23/8/2014We took a small family group for an evening meal - the service, food and overall experience were excellent............just as they have been on each of our previous visits!Special Features:
- Delicious & well presented IndianJod1emcDined on 23/8/2014As per title.But I would add that the vegetarian options were surprisingly limited for an Indian restaurant (2 starters and 1 main). The menus are reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambrette superb againSpadgeDined on 23/8/2014Another fantastic Ambrette lunch for the amazing "pensioners" price of £10.95 for three courses. For 5 diners with two bottles of the new excellent house wine and sparkling water the whole bill including service was just over £100. The best value in England. Anyone over 60 should get the Ambrette Privilege card. Thanks again to Peter and Tec for looking after us so well.Special Features:
- Superb foodMartinDined on 22/8/2014I heartily recommend The Ambrette to anyone who enjoys superbly flavoured food. The service is also very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best everTuppenceDined on 21/8/2014What a delightful surprise to find this, on recommendation from one of our family. We would also recommend it. The staff were well trained and knew their job. The food was exceptional and so unusual and tastey. We would certainly return if we visited Margare again.Special Features:
- Outstanding mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 19/8/2014THe overall look of Ambrette is not in it's favour as It looks rather like an old fashioned boarding house. Having said that, I could eat there every day and not get tired of the food. THe cooking is delicate and utterly delicious.Special Features:
- Indian food with a differenceDandyDined on 13/8/2014Lovely Indian food, well presented and very flavoursome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual and deliciousundineDined on 13/8/2014This is the second time that we have eaten here, and again we found the food unusual, and delicious. The taste of the exotic ingredients (for example cinnamon in the lamb pie, rose petal in the crème brulee) made us feel we were somewhere a long way away from the UK. We were brought "amuse-bouches" to begin with, and a small cup of lentil soup between courses. The staff could not have been more charming. We were a foursome of pensioners, and we were delighted to find that we fill in a form for a privilege card and enjoy a pensioners' rate for the three course meal.Special Features:
- Enjoyable EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2014We had a very enjoyable evening at The Ambrette. The soft shell crab was outstanding, the service attentive without being intrusive and the atmosphere relaxing. I'd definitely recommend it if you are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionEatupDined on 9/8/2014Eating at the Ambrette is a wonderful experience that you cannot wait to repeat. The food is God here and it shows. The service is impeccable and you always leave with a smile on your face.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visit - as good as the firstjangralaDined on 8/8/2014Brilliant experience yet again - this time party of four. A treat for my sister and niece - they were 'blown away' with the whole experience. My 17 year old niece tried wood pigeon and then mutton for the first time and loved it. Her 'special' moment was the trio of desserts [we had 2]!! all gorgeous.Special Features:
- Always of a high qualityDerbyRamDined on 8/8/2014The lunch menu at the Ambrette provides a superb range of choices at a great price. Service is impeccable and the food prepared to perfection. It is very pleasing that, despite expansion, the standard of cooking remains consistently high.Special Features:
- FabulousTheresaBDined on 2/8/2014One of the best Indian restaurants (with a twist) that I have been too. Lots of lovely touches such as the complementary hot canapes and the palate refresher. The restaurant really lived up the good reviews I had read. So many tempting dishes on the menu it was hard to choose. I had a trio of desserts which was excellent, especially the Rose Brulee and the Cheese Board looked really tempting too. We will definitely come again when we are next in Margate or perhaps one of your other restaurants. Wonderful knowledgeable staff.Special Features:
- SUNNY MARGATEpatchDined on 2/8/2014We had a great experience at the Ambrette, excellent service, interesting and innovative food, and very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MontyDined on 2/8/2014I came here for my birthday lunch and it was wonderful- the flavours were intense, the food imaginative and I can't stop thinking about the white chocolate samosas, an original and special place- can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- A big disappointment.SholtoDined on 26/7/2014The short menu - 6 starters,7 mains- sent mixed messages - 'contemporary Indian' but majoring on local - ' Kentish goats cheese'. 'Kentish mutton'; 'Kentish pork';'Kentish venison loin' - all accompanied by weird mixtures of ingredients/sauces. Impossible to guess what a dish would taste like, this was fusion gone mad.Service friendly but amateur; a waiter told us the 'Fresh fish from the day's catch' was gurnard. Another told us it wasn't gurnard but a foreign catfish called, I think, Cerasse.I asked that waiter what the vegetarian thali consisted of. He didn't know.The food itself was nothing special; the mixtures didn't work well. The 'freebies' between course added little. Overpriced at £99 for 3 starters, 4 mains, 1 side and 3 beers.
- Did not disappointBluebellDined on 26/7/2014The reviews for this restaurant are impressive and I have to say we were not disappointed. The service and food are outstanding. The menu is creative and innovative and we really had difficulty choosing. The staff are very friendly, helpful and attentive. I would definitely recommend The Ambrette and my only regret is that we don't live closer so that we could visit more often.Special Features:
- Utterly delicious!!ClareDined on 26/7/2014This was our first time eating at the Ambrette and we were truley impressed from the moment we walked in. The service was excellent and the food is amazing! We had the Wood Pigeon to start, I had the Duck for main and my boyfriend had the Venizon. We also loved the complimentary tasters in between each course. One of the best restaurants we've been to and we will definitely be returning! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning foodtwittersDined on 25/7/2014We came to Margate specifically to eat at the Ambrette - having eaten at the Rye restaurant last year. We had lunch one day and evening dinner the following day. It did not disappoint. The food is simply superb - beautifully cooked and presented and flavoured with subtle Indian spices. We love Indian food but this is not an Indian restaurant. Anyone who enjoys quality food, sensibly priced will enjoy the Ambrette. The lunch menu is particularly good value if you have a 60+ Privilege (Seniors) card. The service is friendly and efficient and you get delightful palate refreshers between each course. We are already planning our trip to Dev's new Canterbury restaurant!Special Features:
- as excellent as evergjgjVIPDined on 24/7/2014We brought friends who had never been before - and they were blown away for all the reasons which get repeated in nearly every review.Special Features:
- DerryDerryDined on 22/7/2014Wonderful meal, as always. Got a table by the window, which I had requested. One of the party was celebrating her birthday and at the end of the meal, a staff member brought a lovely little birthday 'treat', complete with candle which absolutely thrilled the birthday lady. It was presented on a beautifully decorated plate. Our waitress was lovely and helpful, as was our lovely wine waiter.Special Features:
- lunch menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 22/7/2014excellent value lunch menu with good choice of courses and generous portionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spicequeenDined on 20/7/2014I have eaten at the Ambrette several times and each time the quality has never varied. The staff are always friendly and informative and the food a voyage of discovery. Delicate flavours mingle with subtle spices to make each meal a pleasure. I wouldn't hestitate to recommend it, even to those who are not lovers of curry or spiced food.Special Features:
- Sunday lunch return tripDeadRingerDined on 20/7/2014Having taken our guest to the Ambrette once, she requested a return the following Sunday and we were happy to oblige. Not disappointed. Fantastic food, attentive service which was completely unobtrusive and very good value for money. Well recommended.Special Features: