Concert Hall Approach
London, SE1 8XUNeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blackandbluerestaurants.com/page/the-archduke/7/7
- Phone: 02079289370
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 12pm - 11pm
Friday - Saturday: 12pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Entertainment, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from The Archduke
Set on the South Bank, moments from world-famous London attractions like the IMAX, London Eye and Royal Festival Hall, The Archduke restaurant and wine bar is a local landmark in itself, set in to the old railway arches surrounding Waterloo Station. The first London restaurant to open in this area, The Archduke has gone through several incarnations since 1979 but is still as fresh as ever with sleek, simple furniture set against the old bare brick walls and contemporary glass frontage. Jazz music gently floats through speakers, performed six nights a week live in the bar, as diners indulge in comforting modern European cuisine including excellent steaks (it’s owned by the steakhouse Black and Blue group) and simple roast chicken served with your choice of sides dishes. The view of the London Eye from the terrace is spectacular and worth lingering over.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
The Archduke - Best restaurants in Waterloo ›
The Archduke reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since 25 May 2014
pre/post theatre (111)business meals (38)group bookings (38)special occasions (33)romance (23)sunday lunch (19)fit for foodies (18)brunch (16)good vegetarian options (12)outstanding value (10)outdoor eating (7)disabled access (3)afternoon tea (2)child friendly (2)Show More
- UnremarkableDougalDined on 13/9/2014Had a meal here on a Saturday evening, returning to the archduke for the first time in some years. The food was fine, service fine, atmosphere fine. What happened to the archduke I used to know which was always buzzing. There was a bland jazz singer too, but all in all a forgettable evening
- Back on formBeeWeeDined on 13/9/2014The last time we ate at The Archduke we were disappointed because the service was very slow, but we had eaten here many times before. Thankfully, that bad experience was very much a one-off. On this occasion, the service was excellent - attentive and quick without being intrusive; the food and wine was very good; and overall the meal was good value. Thoroughly recommended.Special Features:
- Never disappointsBigAppleYankeeDined on 12/9/2014I keep returning to this restaurant because I have never had a 'bad' meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good choice for meeting upPinklady1Dined on 5/9/2014With one using a Boris bike and others on the train from Waterloo, we arranged to meet at the Archduke. It was very good choice. The T-bone steak was enjoyed, also the sea bream and the burger was especially good - high praise from a fussy eater. The service was polite and attentive. The live music is an added bonus, jazz classics and more. The setting is great with views of the vibrant street through the glass frontage. We recommend for a catch-up with friends and family. Also could be suitable for romantic meals or dates. We certainly will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheatregoerDined on 3/9/2014Good value and definitely worth a return visit. Enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:
- Surprisingly goodHelenVIPDined on 2/9/2014Live music, hidden seating area with views of the London eye, better then expected food and good cocktailsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YDEMVIPDined on 2/9/2014Always enjoy this place. Food and service consistently good. Friendly staff and always a good choice for a quick pre-theatre menuSpecial Features:
- Great for catching up with friendsMauraDined on 29/8/2014I've been here several times, and it's always been a great place to catch up with friends. It has a nice atmosphere, and isn't too loud so you can hear what each other are saying. They do excellent food, and there's often live jazz to liven things up a bit!Special Features:
- Not quite rightDexterDined on 26/8/2014I meet up with friends and family here around once a month. Location, entertainment and service are all good. But the offering on the plate doesn't match. Steaks are not the best and the fries are yuch.Special Features:
- A view to London eyeViccccVIPDined on 25/8/2014The food was good, there was also some live jazz music in the evening. Very conformable dining experience.Special Features:
- Special night outsupermac74Dined on 23/8/2014After a matinee at the theatre we went to the archduke. Although my wife had been several times with work colleagues it was my first time. I must say I was quite impressed and would return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently okLittleLionDined on 13/8/2014The Archduke is one of those restaurants to keep on your 'reliable' list - not a favourite by any means, but always there, always consistent. I ate there with a friend whose remit was "as near as possible to Waterloo" and "I fancy a good burger". We certainly ticked both her options. The food is good, nothing to rave about but well cooked, decent portion sizes and tasty. The prices are on the expensive side, particularly for the steaks, and their wine carafes are especially cheeky (the same price for a 500ml carafe as you would pay for the full 750ml bottle in most other similar calibre restaurants...) But no complaints - the live music is always excellent, staff are efficient (although not always cheerful!) and the cocktails are great.
- SuperbSteveToonDined on 5/8/2014We were made very welcome having booked a late dinner here following a 9pm jaunt on the London Eye (within 5m walk). Of our ten day holiday (London/Nice) The Archduke was my favourite meal. Everything was excellent from the staff and the food to the general ambiance.Special Features:
- DisappointingLorrkellDined on 5/8/2014We've eaten here from time to time over the years, but the quality of the food has become increasingly unreliable. Our main course (salmon and fennel fish cake, spinach on the side) was completely tasteless. We neither of us finished eating it.
- AccommodatingPersephone2Dined on 2/8/2014The Archduke went to a lot of trouble to accomodate me and my friend when her transport to London hit problems and we were seriously late for our booking, though having said that, they were not over busy that day. I have used this restaurant as a place to meet for a chat several times and on Saturday it filled the bill very well. It can be on the noisy side when full. I had a delicious crayfish salad. No pudding, as we were due at the theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ArchdukeburtsbabeDined on 26/7/2014Were shown to a lovely table next to the window overlooking the square and festival hall. Waitress was very pleasant and helpful, especially in allowing me to try a couple of different wines before deciding which one to buy. The steaks was very well cooked - just how we like it - on the rare side. Cooked perfectly. The food was flavoursome and the steak tender and juicy. An all round good experience on a very busy day - good service, good food, good ambience, good service. Would definitely return again when in London.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only if you are hungryLocalpubDined on 21/7/2014and there is nothing else available around. Dinner was much better than any other chain restaurant in the area but nothing spectacular. Service was less than average and dinner ok. However, the place has a very nice ambiance and music after 6ish, Probably best for a pre dinner drink or nibbles. Keep expectations low and you will have a good time!Special Features:
- T Bone DelightPartyPlannerDined on 18/7/2014An early supper for 4...restaurant wasn't overly busy...good turnover of tables.....round table conversations could be had without overly raised voices.....staff were attentive and friendly without being intrusive...... All of us had a T Bone steak, requested to be cooked slightly differently and the results did not disappoint....the plates were cleared, with all being complementary about the steak......cocktails were very inviting and were consumed with gusto...... All in all an excellent meal at a delightful venue.....Special Features:
- The ArchdukeNettlesDined on 11/7/2014I went here with 3 other adults. The look of the place is fantastic and it is so well situated for everything on The Southbank. The menu is mainly focused around Steakse. We arrived early at 5.30 for a table booked at 6 but were seated without a problem. Service was not rushed but we did not feel neglected. The asparagus was pleasant enough but was slightly overdone. I had the foie gras to start and it was lovely and smooth. Disappointingly, all the steaks were overcooked but I was the only one who sent their's back. I'm glad I did. The replacement took a while to come out but it was superb and cooked to perfection. They also took the cost of this off our bill so I really cannot fault them. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible food and bad valueAlondonDined on 11/7/2014We ordered the 2 course special for 16 quid. The soup was thin and tasteless and the main was a fish cake which was equally tasteless and very small portion. One oil drenched fish cake on a bed of dry lettuce. Very poor indeed.
- Reliable and convenientHClaireBDined on 10/7/2014Good service and reliable food in pleasant surroundings near to South Bank complex.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love jazz sessionValerie974Dined on 28/6/2014Too noisy to listen my jazz concert ! IT IS à pity I love jazzI would recommend this to a friend.
- OhDearDined on 28/6/2014great for pre/post royal festival hall performances, good quality simple food
- The ArchdukeHoneylovefoodDined on 24/6/2014Swift service with a busy but friendly atmosphere. Pre-theatre menu 3 courses for £20 was great value and tasty. Would go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocktail and MeatGastronautDined on 21/6/2014With a few friends on a night out, we arrived earlier than the reserved time but waiter was quick to show us our table which was ready. Ordered a few cocktails and was impressed with the selections, I felt was at reasonable prices. Steak was decent quality which came with fries and generous salad.The waiter mixed up one of our steaks which was promptly rectified when we complaint. Waiters were quite pushy to clear our table although we were still eating. Dining with live solo pianist was entertaining, but could hardly hear him when restaurant got busier. The livelier jazz quartet appeared later which really got the night going. Overall very good experience, will stay longer for the late night jazz gig next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good place to meet friends3GirlstogetherDined on 17/6/2014warm welcome as you go in and very accommodating. Good choice of both wines and food. would go backSpecial Features:
- Dinner prior to Chrissie Hynde ShowMike4442Dined on 14/6/2014I booked at the last minute and was pleased a good table upstairs. Our food was good and served piping hot and well cooked. Service was a little iffy as we seemed to be on the boundary between waiters. The Archduke is positioned well for The Royal Festival Hall.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining at ArchdukeChinesefoodiesDined on 13/6/2014I personally love the environment with piano, the flows from being welcome from entrance ,led to upstairs, sat down, menu and ordered, wine tasting and foods being recommendations etc, it just demonstrated that Archduke has a proper system and presented as a GOOD restaurant. Waiters/waitress are friendly and not giving you an dirty eyeballs if you not ordered starters or desserts. Foods are in decent size at such price. The steak cooked in spot on medium-rare level, succulent meat, juicy beef tasted. Yum....They deserved our tips for excellent steaks, services and smiley faces :-) we will come back !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Proper BurgerTimBDined on 13/6/2014Sadly, it is rare these days to be able to get a burger cooked, well, rare. Restaurants tell you that "health & safety" dictate that burgers must be cooked until they are no longer pink in the middle. It is nonsense of course. What they mean is, "We can't be sure of our meat, so we incinerate it, just in case." It was a delight, therefore, to ask for our burgers medium-rare, not to be given the H & S claptrap and to served with juicy, tasty meat, cooked to our liking. Congratulations The Archduke! The food generally was of a high standard, the service efficient and unobtrusive and we were given a nice table by the window. So the next time we wish to eat on the South Bank, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre mealMGrazerDined on 12/6/2014Another visit to our favourite south bank bar and restaurant. the Archduke continues to deliver reasonable meals to an excellent standard. burgers are some of the best in London. Ambience was a little let down by a loud office celebration but we can't fault the Archduke for that! well worth a visit as an alternative to the regular Festival hall fayre.Special Features:
- singerDined on 11/6/2014A convenient choice near Waterloo for an evening meeting up with friends. Food was well cooked and the service attentive but unobtrusive. We've been here several times and always enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value pre theatre mealSsinghDined on 11/6/2014The Archduke provides good value pre theatre meals, which are good, but by no means amazing. But with all the other restaurants in the vicinity I probably won't go there again.Special Features:
- Workmanlike...jfk59Dined on 5/6/2014It works, it's the most convenient and well tuned location for trains and theatres.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- you dont have to be dripping first.PREPRANDIAL123Dined on 18/5/2014First discovered this after watching the Jubilee procession on the Thames. We got very wet, soaked through from 7am to 7pm. What a find, disrobed, dried out, excellent food, wonderful ambience not too expensive, and a pianist.. Hows that. Its also nice to see items on the menu from our area .Experience did not dampen our day..Special Features:
- My graduationRuby26Dined on 12/5/2014Booked lunch following my graduation staff were friendly, though service was a bit slow the food was great. We had a booth so that made the ambience just right for celebrating my graduation. Price was reasonable even with a bottle of bubbly. Good English food would recommend this restaurant and definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In need of a refurb and/or clean upWorldfoodieDined on 10/5/2014Chose the place as close to waterloo and previously nice music and ambience under the arches. We were very disappointed this time by the worn out look of the place. Food was average and 2 out of 4 steaks were cold when they arrived for our party of 6. Wine just ok. hefty price tag. Will not come back.
- Pre theatre evening mealKentishman47Dined on 26/4/2014Overall a good dining experience. Service was very attentive and gap between courses just right. There was a good atmosphere in the restaurant even though it was 5.30 pm. The pre theatre menu was very good value at £20 for three courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could do better......FoodmasterDined on 19/4/2014We booked a late lunch here on a Saturday (pre Imax) and were please to be seated on the west side of the restaurant which overlooks the London Eye. Great view but can be slightly too warm at that time of day due to the low sun. The restaurant is owned by the Black & Blue mini chain which we hoped would provide a reasonable guarantee of quality food. (their Borough Market outlet is particularly good). Sadly The Arch did not live up to expectations as we found both the Sirloin and the Fillet steaks almost completely devoid of any flavour. Both were ordered Medium rare but were served too close to rare for our liking. This said the occupying chips and garnish were good, as was the side order of Spinach. May be worth trying when Jazz is on.Special Features:
- Nice casual dining experienceNo1ladyDined on 18/4/2014Have had several dinners and lunches at The Archduke and always an enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Great dinner in club like venueKarenHDined on 17/4/2014We had passed this place many times en route to concerts and theatre and finally decided to give it a try. I had a superb bun-less burger with excellent side salad substitute. My husband's Seabass was good value for London at £15. Pleasant service and cool atmosphere enhanced by the jazz.Special Features: