34 Great King Street
Edinburgh, EH3 6QHNeighbourhood:
ScottishPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thehoward.com/
- Phone: 01315573500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch:Monday to Sunday 12:00pm to 2:00pm
Dinner:Monday to Sunday 7:00pm to 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Scottish, Modern European
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Howard has two private function rooms, the Oval and Cumberland, which are perfectly suited for intimate private dining.
- Private Party Contact: Ben Powis 01315573500
A word from The Atholl
The Atholl started life as a private dining room for guests staying at the hotel. Its elegant, flower-filled, Georgian setting, intimate atmosphere, fine wine list and expertly prepared modern Scottish menu drew an enthusiastic and knowledgeable local clientele as well, so the Atholl has gradually evolved into a sought-after restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Atholl reviews from OpenTable diners
- The food at the Atholl wasIainADined on 2/11/2012The food at the Atholl was excellent, the waiters were attentive and considerate. All in all an excellent meal in very nice surroundings with very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I stayed two nightsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2012My wife and I stayed two nights at the Howard and had dinner and breakfast both days in their Atholl restaurant. At only £25 per person for dinner and £5 each for breakfast we found the meals excellent value and the food quality was very high. An AA rosette awarded in 2011/12 is well warranted. The Atholl is a very small and intimate restaurant, ideal for couples looking for a special meal. The only negative comment we had (and it wasn't really an issue) is that the restaurant was very quiet our first night with only one other table taken, so the atmosphere was a little flat. That said, there were more tables in use the second night and a much better buzz. Service was excellent and the waiters / butlers couldn't be more helpful.Special Features:
- We had a lovely evening andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 21/4/2012We had a lovely evening and will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- This was a return visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 22/3/2012This was a return visit to the Athol and once again I was not disappointed. This discreet little restaurant is a real gem. Service and food was impeccable.Special Features:
- Very nice restaurant. IntimatevisitorDined on 13/2/2012Very nice restaurant. Intimate dining environment , only about 9-10 tables if that. Food was superb. We had venison and a fillet steak. Perfectly cooked. A bit pricey but the food measures up.Special Features:
- Loved it! Went there for aKCandVCatDRSDined on 3/2/2012Loved it! Went there for a birthday and the staff were very courteous and the food was excellent. Definitely one for a special occasion, but although the food was excellent the prices were sensible too - 2 x 3 courses + bottle of lovely wine for <£100. Nice quiet atmosphere - dining room only sat about a dozen or so, and it was very relaxed. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atholl at the HowardOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2012Well placed near Waverley station 1/4 hour walk away to feast your appetite on a romantic meal early in new year.Service was good but not exceptional.Initially finding it was a challenge being quite covertly hidden within Great King Street.Staff were friendly and maintained a good set menu as well as a la carte.Used Hi life dinners for discount 25% off rather than 50% reduction gave a generous tip well £20 following my partner saying we never give enough I always thought 10% would suffice.If the portions were more generous then possibly ones appreciation may have excelled but it was very good indeed would return.Special Features:
- We are regulars at'The Atholl'OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 24/11/2011We are regulars at'The Atholl' for Lunch! The food is always of a 'High Class' and accompanied by a suitable wine makes an Excellent Lunch Outing. Sometimes the service can be a bit slow but good and the 'pace' of the meal makes one want to prolong the expereience if time permits, which is not always possible!Special Features:
- I knew the Howard - the 5*OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/11/2011I knew the Howard - the 5* Hotel in which the Atholl is placed - before from their Afternoon Tea's [British Tea-Ceremony], which I can absolutely recommend. The dinner I had there with a friend of mine was excellent in taste and presentation, without exaggeration. The service was impeccable - very friendly, highly attentive without being obtrusive, well-rounded in etiquette without being stiff and determined to provide a personal service you could feel almost at home with ("almost" because you must remember you pay :). The atmosphere was relaxed, pleasant background music, as well as unobtrusive other guests. Ideal for a romantic dinner, a private business-meeting or a special treat for you and friends when staying in Edinburgh!Special Features:
- The Howard is a true gem forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 22/10/2011The Howard is a true gem for a superb dining experience. It is discretely located in the elegant and historic New Town of Edinburgh. The decor,ambience, service and menu provide a truly luxurious experience. I highly recommend the Atholl Restaurant for an exquisite dining experience.Special Features:
- The food was extremely goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2011The food was extremely good but we were the only people in the restaurant which was the only downside. The venue is off the main city area and needs a lot more promotion. We felt sorry for the chief who has a tallent.Special Features:
- A lovely evening with superOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/8/2011A lovely evening with super food and wine. The set dinner menu was very good value and we appreciated the extras - the home made bread and amuse-bouche. To be welcomed on arrival by name by staff was a nice gesture at the start of the evening.Special Features:
- A very disapointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 18/6/2011A very disapointing experience - I think the hotel has seen better days. There is a sort of 'faded glory' feel about the place. As for the food - it was shocking. It had obviously been recycled in some sort of way (probably because there were no other diners, as if it had been lying around for some time!! Absolutely no recommendations to family, friends or aquaintances.
- We stayed at the Howard Hotel..itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2011We stayed at the Howard Hotel..it was lovely and the Atholl dining was superior..Loved it all.
- We dined at The Atholl usingTempest1Dined on 20/3/2009We dined at The Atholl using a 25% discount voucher, but the bill still came to just under £100, and my wife had only two courses. Pre-dinner drinks and wine are very expensive even by city prices. Athough service is excellent, the overall ambience is a little austere. We know the hotel is first rate, but the restaurant lets it down a little, especially on the value-for-money criteria.
- The Atholl is a tranquil retreatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 24/1/2009The Atholl is a tranquil retreat with great food, a wonderful ambiance and excellent service.
- What a fantastic restaurantkWentThereDined on 27/9/2008What a fantastic restaurant ! A bit tucked away from the old town where most renowned places are, but it's quite a hidden gem. Set in this lovely historical house, the number of seats is quite limited but this creates a very cozy and intimate atmosphere. Menu doesn't offer dozens of choice, but is well balanced. Quality of the food was fabulous. Very polite and friendly staff, dealing very well with small glitches. We would highly recommend for a romantic dinner.
- We had a lovely meal and wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/6/2008We had a lovely meal and was a lovely special venue for my dad's birthday. We were the only people there which was great - like i had hired the whole place and we felt very spolit byt eh wonderful service and food. A great special night.
- A lovely small restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 25/2/2006A lovely small restaurant in an Edinburgh townhouse, with great service. It isn't cheap, but worth the extra money for the experience. Portion sizes aren't huge so don't go there if you're ravenous!