8 Pall Mall
London, SW1Y 5NGNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thebalconlondon.com/
- Phone: 02073897820x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11pm
Saturday: 7am - 11pm
Sunday: 7am - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English, French
- Executive Chef: Vincent Menager
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Balcon
For a sense of arrival, a sense of place and a sense of being part of a scene The Balcon is the place to eat, to drink, to see and be seen. Soak in the atmosphere of this modern London and Parisian grand brasserie under the champagne balcony, at the charcuterie bar or at your preferred table. Let the charcutier and the rest of the cast take you on a culinary journey with dishes inspired by both classic British and French cooking methods. The Balcon your all day dinning destination.Continued
Please note that our set menu is not available on bank holidays.
Please note that our set menu is not available on bank holidays.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Balcon reviews from OpenTable diners
676 reviews since 1 November 2013
special occasions (344)pre/post theatre (310)business meals (267)romance (249)fit for foodies (188)afternoon tea (134)brunch (104)outstanding value (93)sunday lunch (88)group bookings (67)good vegetarian options (43)disabled access (30)child friendly (16)outdoor eating (7)Show More
- NJCSW7Dined on 29/10/2014Very pleasant dinner in elegant and calm surroundings. Set menu very good value, allowing lots of choice of first courses and three main courses (but one needs to ask for the menu). Good wines, though not cheap. Service very charming, mostly French, though we had to ask to have our wine glasses topped up a couple of times - the bottle was out of reach.
- very attentive staffJGourmetVIPDined on 29/10/2014We had a lovely meal on set menu with very attentive service. Lovely setting. Would definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delivered on its promisetheatregoerDined on 28/10/2014A smart brasserie with some interesting specials alongside the expected. Good service, friendly welcome, near the national gallery where we had been at a reception - we would come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cookieVIPDined on 28/10/2014Lovely restaurant. The offer is excellent value as you get to choose from their starters and desserts with the main coming from the market selection, so there is a great variety of choice. I would personally have preferred the new potato and squid starter to be warm but that was my personal preference and not a criticism of the quality of the food. They actually have three offers going and we ended up having three courses with a glass of wine and coffee for £28.Special Features:
- Great ServiceMandJBDined on 28/10/2014We went for a meal to celebrate our friend's special birthday and had a lovely evening. I'd asked for a table with a 'nice' view and got a round table in the top corner, which was perfect. They also produced a small platter of cakes with a candle for no extra charge. They were very attentive without being intrusive and we didn't feel rushed at all. We had the offer of 3 courses and coffee for £23, plus a glass of wine for £5. Any starter and dessert was allowed, just a selection of 3 mains to choose from - which was fine for that price! Nicely done food and beautiful atmosphere. The restaurant has very high ceilings, large windows and elegant furnishings. Conveniently near the centre of London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cfaulknerDined on 27/10/2014The Balcon really is something special - a very pretty room and great food, especially with the OpenTable deal which gives a very good choice of starter and pudding and from three main courses. The service was really excellent - attentive without being too intrusive, and I liked the petit fours with candle which were brought to nearby tables obviously celebrating birthdays. One of these days I'll treat myself to the main menu!Special Features:
- Group DininghappyeaterDined on 25/10/2014We booked under the offer 3 courses + coffee for 8 people. Service was excellent as was the food. We took a long time deciding what to have as everyone liked the idea of everything so had to strategise so as to get to try many items. Wine was also good but not in offer. Whole group loved the venue and and the food. Recommend highlySpecial Features:
- Fantastic DealfoodcomaDined on 25/10/2014Saw the deal on OpenTable and could not resist. Amazing duck breast for main course. Lovely and polite wait staff despite busy saturday night. Fantastic deal with great variety of starters and desserts to chose from. Chunky chips on neighbouring table looked fantastic too!Special Features:
- POOREST SERVICE EVEROpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 25/10/2014The service was appaling. Our 4 year old child was not given a high chair, child menu or even cutlery. We all had our starters and she had to wait for mains to get her food. The wine list was misleading in its pricing (price shown was for 500ml carafe not a bottle) and the year written on it wasnt the actual year on the bottle. So the wine menu would show the price for a 2010 wine and then we were served that wine from 2013.
- Fantastic food and great choiceBusybeeDined on 24/10/2014What a surprise find! Food was great and menu choice was brilliant for all age ranges! In our party we ranged from 19 - 86 and everyone could find something they liked on the menu! Ambience was perfect, not too loud and lots of space. Tables weren't crammed together so felt at ease when talking. Service was great and food and drinks were great value for money. Thoroughly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simple & tasty, not value for moneyNonameDined on 24/10/2014We went to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Starter and main course was simple, but tasty. I was disappointed with the dessert. I was expecting choux pastry filled with ice cream, instead i got ice cream with a bit of biscuit on top and bottom. Service was excellent. Although food was tasty, it was very over priced. If i am paying that much, i would have liked to see extravagant style food. They obviously get a lot of posh people ready to pay whatever money. I could have got the same style food in a half decent restaurent for half the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theatre mealSallyMayDined on 24/10/2014A pre theatre meal for 8 people. The service was very good, the food excellent. We were able to enjoy the meal and chat without feeling under pressure to eat and run.Special Features:
- palaceDined on 24/10/2014very enjoyable experience, service excellent, food first classSpecial Features:
- A treatDLMRDined on 20/10/2014We had been to The Balcon before and had the set menu. This time, with the OpenTable offer, we could choose our starter and desert from the 'a la carte' menu. And what a choice it was. So difficult to chose between 10 options all so nice. My friends chose the rib as a starter and I had the Spanish style starter. All delicious. We had three options for the main course. Duck, fish pie or risotto. All very nice. And then, 10 choices for desert. Agonising. I had the chocolate mug cake with milk ice cream; delicious. The financier was equally very good. And to top it all, free coffee. The waiting staff were all charming and helpful and unobtrusive. A very good evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful meal at the BalconNikkiLDined on 18/10/2014My Husband and I have dined at the Balbon many times and it never disappoints, their 3 couses plus coffee offer of £23 pp is great value and the food is amazing, we have recommended the restaurant to many of ours frields and they all love it to, we will be going back i a few weeks time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- abs1987Dined on 18/10/2014We enjoyed the Opentable 3-course menu at the Balcon. The staff were friendly and attentive and the venue hit the spot for a romantic dinner. My only criticism is that choice is of main courses for the set-menu is fairly limited (duck, haddock and mushroom risotto) but it was still great value for money. We'll be back for brunch/afternoon tea soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheatregoerTheatregoerDined on 17/10/2014This was a 3-course special deal. The boeuf bourginon starter was tasty as was the duck main course. My pudding was ok - not special. The wines are generally very expensive here which would make it unlikely we'd return. Tables for two seem quite wide and chairs feel more lie reclining chairs than dining chairs - so not an entirely comfortable dining experience. It is a lovely place however.Special Features:
- Pre-theatre experiencegbeccDined on 17/10/2014What an experience at the Balcony. Good food and excellent service set in great surroundings. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as it getsMandAfoodpleasureseekersDined on 16/10/2014If you like French food served by lovely staff in opulent settings then you will cant go wrong by dining at The Balcon. Superb flavors that scream French and a very good choice on the menu. 100% recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BalconKovalskiVIPDined on 16/10/2014Great ambiance and very professional bar.Had 3 course fixed which is good value for St James' Been many times and also good a large carte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drastic change in serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 16/10/2014We loved usually to go to the Balcony for dinner. A real French experience with French style staff. But this time we had a bad surprise with a staff not aware of the basic rules of French service. For example white wine staying on the side waiting for somebody puting it in the cold bucket, and being served after the first course! The waitress interrupting a few time our conversation to ask us if we want a new bottle of water. Nobody to say hello at our arrival or good bye at our departure. It is no more a French representative restaurant and we cannot bring our business guests anymore.
- A great time was had by all...KitkatDined on 15/10/2014We did the 3 course set menu with coffee for £23 -- an amazing deal. To start we had the carrot &beet salad, the beef tartare and the Angus beef short rib. Although the beef starters were quite good, the beet salad was the star of the show. It was amazing. We followed with the haddock pie, mushroom risotto and duck. Again no complaints and empty plates. We finished with the blackberry pudding, the peach melba and the profiteroles. The blackberry pudding was perfectly cooked and melt in your mouth delicious. My daughter thought the peach melba was heaven sent and although the profiteroles had a nice original twist. Alcoholic drinks were well made. Coffee and tea elegant and service excellent. Highly recommended to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Style galore at Le BalconVeggieDined on 15/10/2014Having visited three times before in the past - twice good, once not so good - we thought a few more months on we should try again. All was excellent. Service was thoughtful, effective, warm but unintrusive. The food on the Market Menu was superb value as well as very high quality in preparation and presentation, and the ambience in the winnowing autumnal London Evening was magnificent. They'd allocated us the specific table I'd requested and came upwith an on-the-house surprise birthday dessert for my wife's celebration that day. Beautiful visit!Special Features:
- Delicious lunch, great serviceWinnersDinnersFanDined on 14/10/2014I'm reluctant to go for special offer menus as so often you're made to feel like a 2nd class citizen. You'll find yourself sitting in the worst spot in the house reading from a menu the size of a stamp. Service often suffers too as your're written off as a stingy non-tipper from the get go. Rather than being a promotional tool for the restaurant, I'm often turned off the place for life. This was NOT the case at The Balcon and the experience we had was 1st class. The dining room is stylish, airy and spacious. The service was more attentive than I've received at restaurants where I've paid several times as much. The food was delicious and I highly recommend anyone try this place. With or without a special offer I will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BaronialImpressmepleaseDined on 12/10/2014Very good experience at this restaurant even though they tried to give me a second dessert which I refused and the cheese board consisted of just one type of French cheese I will not decry the service given nor the wine quality, for the price paid. The bread varieties were not to my taste but I will not mark the place down for that either. Overall I was satisfied and may go back when I visit theaterland again.Special Features:
- outstanding and consistent servicepetarDined on 11/10/2014The first time I went to the Balcon I booked a pre theatre table for 4 and we were having such a great time that we ditched the theatre and ordered more wine and dessert then more wine. I find it really refreshing to go to a restaurant that is not trying to be trendy. Instead what you get here is personalised service that's not rushed, great food and ambiance. The perfect ingredients for a sublime evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for twoneilandvirginieDined on 11/10/2014The food was mostly good - I had a duck with cherry sauce, but for my taste there weren't enough cherries - I think there were two on the plate. My gf's Dover Sole was excellent. The one patisserie we shared was too small really to be offered up as a dessert even for one person, and the pastry tasted stale. The best plate of the evening was the creme brulee, which really was excellent. Service was fine, but a tad slow, especially towards the end of the evening. Not sure if it was really worth £60/head.
- You may wish to try it yourself...Lover1920sDined on 11/10/2014Went to The Balcon last Saturday for Geoffrey's birthday occasion. Loved its ambiance... good dinner food without fuss... excellent service I thought...however wished they'd played some 1920's background music to match the decoration theme... We were offered some very nice and well made small tea cakes for Geoffrey's birthday on the house... then we enjoyed an after-dinner drink in the bar... Overall it was a very good experience at reasonable expense. Like to go back there to try their afternoon tea and other dishes for dinner next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serviceJeanneDined on 11/10/2014We went for a pre-theatre dinner with the Opentable deal. We arrived a little late due to traffic problems, and informed the hosts that we had to leave within the hour. He promptly took care of us and when my husband got served the wrong dish, he replaced it with the right dish within minutes! We were able to have a delightful, but fast 3-course dinner with wine, coffee/ tea all within an hour. And he did not forget that it was my husband's birthday. Superb service, great ambiance, beautifully decorated, good French food. I recommend a trip to the restroom for a glimpse of the sumptuous Rose Tea Room. Overall, very impressed and will certainly recommend it for anybody looking for a nice romantic dinner or a high quality quick meal.Special Features:
- Lunch at BalconBirdiegirl123Dined on 11/10/2014Visited the Balcon with some friends for lunch on saturday having found a special three course offer online. The restaurant is very attractive and stylish and the staff were extremely friendly. The menu choice for our special offer was extremely good and the dishes were inventive and well thought out. Very good value for money and we had a great time. It is our second visit and we will be coming againSpecial Features:
- Dinner post Book of MormonVixyDined on 10/10/2014Took my boyfriend here after going to the book of mormon which is just round the corner. Arrived 30 min early for our table but that was no problem and we were shown straight to our table. Food was very good but not amazing - maybe I chose badly becuase my partener was very happy with his. The room was a little on the quiet side but we did arrive at 10pm. Service was good and not rushed even though we had one of their latest slots. Value for money was amazing.Special Features:
- DisappointingMv21Dined on 10/10/2014This was my first time at the Balcon, I had the open table special offer (3 courses champagne & coffee). The service started off really well, our waiter was very welcoming and attentive when we were served our champagne & ordered our starters. After that there appeared to be a change in evening staff and the service went down hill from there. Our cutlery was taken away prior to receiving out main course, we had to wait 10 minutes for a waiter to provide us with cutlery, by which time our food was cold. I refused to pay the service charge on our bill, which the manager acknowledged and apologised for the service. The special offer for top table was OK, but was spoilt by the service. For such an elegant restaturant the toilets were disgusting. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant, there are better french restaurants out there.Special Features:
- Good and Bad !!CharlieDined on 10/10/2014The balcon is a very lovely venue, service from staff was excellent and the food was good only one problem. The deal they had advertised on Opentable was badly done and misleading which is not very good at all. The main meal had only three choices but this was not shown on the advert which give a sample menu with no limitations - they need to improve on this,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as everAndypDined on 10/10/2014This is the third time I have been to the Balcon for dinner on one of the a Open Table offers. This restaurant never ceased to impress. The food is very interesting and tasty and filled me up (no tiny portions here), and the service is just right. The offer was 28 Gbp for 3 courses and coffee, which I think is good value, although 12.5 % is added for service. The Balcon is one of the best restaurants all in all that I have ever dined in.Special Features:
- FantasticRichLoveDined on 10/10/2014Awesome meal at lovely restaurant. Classy but not stuffy, knowledgeable, friendly staff and food extremely tasty. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodTheProfessorDined on 8/10/2014Enjoyed a very good business dinner, very good food and attentive serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsToneDined on 8/10/2014A nice evening - smart place - good food (not gourmet but well cooked and generous portions). No rushing and pleasant place to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014we went and enjoyed the 3 course for £23 menu, Service was excellent, food was delicious especially the single malt with the Baba dessert - superb ..definitely recommend !!Special Features:
- ExcellentkatieambulanceVIPDined on 8/10/2014My friend and I visited The Balcon on a 3 course and coffee Opentable deal which presented excellent value. My starter of braised egg and chorizo was top notch and just the right side. For main I had duck - cooked to perfection, excellent flavour combination, generous portions (which typically you don't expect in a French establishment). Throughout the service was fantastic, friendly and attentive without being pushy. Everyone always smiling. One slightly odd thing is they don't serve bottles of wine, just caraffes. Still the Rioja was lovely whatever it came in. I had a berry & apple sorbet dessert which was different and delicious. My friend had the chocolate mug which was also good. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- What a Lovely SurpriseHampshirefoodieDined on 8/10/2014We booked a post theatre meal deal - £28 for three course plus a glass of wine and coffee. We were welcomed as if we were paying standard al la carte prices. Service was excellent throughout. There was a great choice of starters and desserts. There was less choice on the main courses - only three options. However, the food was excellent and the ambience was lovely. We shall certainly return.Special Features: