8 Pall Mall
London, SW1Y 5NGNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thebalconlondon.com/
- Phone: 02077472200x7820
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11pm
Saturday: 7am - 11pm
Sunday: 7am - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English, French
- Executive Chef: Vincent Menager
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Balcon
For a sense of arrival, a sense of place and a sense of being part of a scene The Balcon is the place to eat, to drink, to see and be seen. Soak in the atmosphere of this modern London and Parisian grand brasserie under the champagne balcony, at the charcuterie bar or at your preferred table. Let the charcutier and the rest of the cast take you on a culinary journey with dishes inspired by both classic British and French cooking methods. The Balcon your all day dinning destination.Continued
Please note that our set menu is not available on bank holidays.
Please note that our set menu is not available on bank holidays.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Balcon reviews from OpenTable diners
637 reviews since 23 May 2014
special occasions (319)pre/post theatre (286)business meals (254)romance (232)fit for foodies (179)afternoon tea (121)brunch (95)sunday lunch (82)outstanding value (76)group bookings (63)good vegetarian options (36)disabled access (29)child friendly (15)outdoor eating (7)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 17/9/2014Good value for lunch and excellent cod with ratatouille sauce, although disappointed there was no simple grilled fish on the menu.Special Features:
- Good food in a relaxed ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 14/9/2014We wanted a special meal for my daughter's 27th birthday and were not disappointed. Consistently good and interesting food and an attentive waiter who seemed genuinely interested to ensure we had a good time.Special Features:
- Un moment inoubliableBlaguDined on 13/9/2014Nous avions choisi de dîner au Balcon pour fêter nos 20 ans de mariage. Ambiance très agréable grâce à la décoration et à l'éclairage, personnel très aimable, parlant remarquablement bien français. Cuisine de grande qualité, cuisson parfaite, service de très bonne qualité. Nous avions une chambre au Saint James Sofitel, nous recommandons à la fois l'hotel et le restaurant pour des séjours romantiques en plein centre de Londres.Special Features:
- Something specialNikkiLDined on 13/9/2014If you are looking for a restaurant that has great food and a wonderful atmosphere then the Balcon is the place to go, my party and I were on the 3 courses plus champagne and coffee for £33 pp, which is an amazing deal when you see the quality of the food you get. This is the forth time I have been this year and I am never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A touch of ClasslittlebunnyDined on 13/9/2014The Balcon I have discovered the Balcon by chance and love it! The ambiance, the details and even the uniform of the staff was elegant but more elegant was their mannerism, the welcome, the service and their lovely smiles it seems nowadays a rare things to find. The food is a gourmet experience which fusion with all details, thank you to the staff who has made us so welcomeSpecial Features:
- Another good mealSteveDined on 11/9/2014Organised a business meal for 6 the other evening. Again the Balcon was a combination of super service and great food, all washed down by some excellent wine.Special Features:
- Discovered a gem!SLP28Dined on 10/9/2014Highly recommend this restaurant, a gem in a touristy area of London where food is normally average and over-priced. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experienceAndypDined on 9/9/2014The Balcon is one of my favourite restaurants anywhere. The service is generally exceptionally good, and the food delicious. I had a three course set menu, which was lovely, and exceptional value. I would go back tomorrow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous service, really nice food.AndyTeeDined on 6/9/2014This was booked for a 45th wedding anniversary celebration. We were fabulously well looked after. Great comms from the restaurant pre-meal, nothing was too much trouble. Very flexible when we advised we were running late. We had the £33 three courses, coffee and champagne offer and it was great quality - how can they do it at that price? Thoroughly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodjacksatta78Dined on 6/9/2014Very good restaurant, great service, nice food and really central location. The wine list is a bit pricey but you pay for quality!Special Features:
- 4th visit and best everAPdinerDined on 6/9/2014Took friends to Balcon having visited before and been impressed. Had lovely table on raised area, private enough for chat but still able to enjoy the atmosphere. Service was excellent - friendly, helpful and attentive without being obtrusive. How nice to have gaps between courses so we didn't feel rushed but also didn't feel forgotten. Had the 3 course deal and coffee with the most delicious truffle chocolates - food was superb, presentation great and certainly both filling and tasty. Our friends loved it as well and they know their food. One of our favourite 'special' places to eat and entertain visitors in London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real TreatFoodFanaticDined on 6/9/2014I booked a Saturday night dinner for me and my husband using Opentable's special offer of 3 courses and coffee for £23. It was excellent value for money. It's a very smart restaurant, ideal for celebrations and the service was very good - including being offered a special table hook to hang my handbag. We would definitely recommend it and go back.Special Features:
- lissDined on 5/9/2014I felt the deal was good value but the service was slow and the food was nice but I was expecting better. I also thought that as I warned the restaurant I was gluten free in advance that they may have offered me gluten free bread. However, the staff were friendly and as a setting I thought it was a beautiful place and I would imagine, after looking at the full menu, that if we had been paying full price the food and service would have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicejlllDined on 5/9/2014we had a wonderful time at the restaurant. We chose the 3 courses deal and it was a great value! Both of us had duck leg for the main course, which was delicious. The ambience was top standard. We will come back!Special Features:
- THE BALCON - Lunch with the girls !winendineDined on 5/9/2014The afternoon was a delight much attributed to the awesome ambience of the restaurant. It was fascinating to see the transformation of the Cox bank into such a luxurious and well defined dining hall. The service was very attentive and we were made to feel comfortable straightaway. The platters were explained and the system was different adding a little excitement to our afternoon ( as if all the gossip of all the affairs of our friends was not exciting enough ! ) The food was delicious and perfect portions. It was fine dining at its best. For £20/ …thats the ways to do it.Special Features:
- serice and food was goodAnnilisaDined on 4/9/2014We had a lovely evening, the food was good and the staff were friendly and helpful.We certainly will go again.Special Features:
- Great venue overallScofferDined on 4/9/2014Fantastic venue, beautiful dining room and bar, all uncrowded and plenty of space. Went on the £23 meal-deal and starter and desert were excellent. The main, a fish stew affair was pretty basic and rustic and would be better suited to a good pub but it tasted ok. Drink prices were in the proper high-class hotel range so while you get a great deal on the food your saving definitely gets clawed back by the time you get through a bottle of wine and a cocktail! A great place to go if you want a pleasant dinner and a couple of drinks, but if you want to spend an evening in the bar getting inebriated you may want to apply for a second mortgage beforehand. That said- it's a lovely venue away from the hustle and bustle and maybe it's worth it.Special Features:
- A relaxing lunchHemsgirlDined on 3/9/2014A lunch between 2 friends who hadn't seen each other for 29 years but thanks to Facebook had united was made even better by the patient staff who did not rush us to make choices. The food was ideal lunch time fare not too much but tasty, & the wine menu was approved of by my friend who has been in the hospitality business for a long time.Special Features:
- Amazing service, beautiful buildingporgypooDined on 2/9/2014The staff were wonderful. Smiling and helpful and attentive and polite. Really great people who made us feel relaxed and welcome. Absolutely how service should be. The food was a little disappointing. I probably wouldn't recommend dining at The Balcon but will definitely be back for drinks.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable meal-recommendedBlueBearDined on 30/8/2014We went for a birthday meal at the Balcon on Saturday evening. The food was of a very high standard - the Lemon Sole and the Burgers were particularly enjoyable. If you have a sweet tooth then make sure you have a dessert - the little Parisian desserts were delicious as was the Creme Brulee The service was fantastic - excellent job by the waiter and the decor was very pleasant. I recommend this restaurant for all types of diners as it ticks all the boxes.Special Features:
- New style at The BalconRichardDined on 30/8/2014I am pleased to see that they still offer their £28 for three courses plus a glass of drinkable wine and coffee or tea. It's a bit more than you might pay for a prix fixe but you have a wide choice and the menu changes regularly, They usually offer unusual options which you rarely find: I had rabbit with a mustard sauce, They also have a charcuterie bar so my starter of English smoked ham was excellent The presentation is of a very high quality with specific table ware for different dishes (my friend's tagine came in a Moroccan earthenware dish). Desert choices are interesting (I had a blackberry florentine with green apple sorbet). All in all a very good choice for a relaxing gourmet meal at a good value price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the balconjamieinlondonDined on 30/8/2014Beautiful room, excellent service and great value. I had been looking around at top west end restaurants offering a pre theatre menu but found most of them offer very little choice - more often than not it's a choice of 3 starters, 3 mains, 3 desserts. The Balcon however offered a wide range of choice and the food was delicious. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- AlysduhDined on 27/8/2014Food not up to usual standard, salad choice poor. Bread not as varied as usual . My cheese board just had one cheese (3 slices) but no celery and my crepe suzette was rather dry. Rest of party were quite happy
- Fabulous NightWinedinersDined on 26/8/2014Enjoyed a fantastic meal here with my 2 grown-up children. Good value at £23 for 3 courses and coffee. Liked the quiche and bread nibbles to start. Service spot on. Wine pricey and be careful as wine list said £26 but this was for 500ml and we asked for a bottle which cost us &37. However overall an excellent night and I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 26/8/2014I rarely write reviews - only on occasions where I received wither very “bad” or very “good” service. I am please say that my dinning at Balcon falls into the latter category. Very delicious and well-crafted cuisine with some of the best service you will find in London! This is my third time dinning at Balcon and it is now at the top of my list for business dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visitQuality4UDined on 24/8/2014Just off. Trafalgar Square and the Mall close to Theatre land for a good unhurried meal and great service around £50 per head well worth a visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experiencePianoGirlDined on 24/8/2014My friends and I visited The Balcon for the first time this weekend and we all had such a wonderful time. The staff were so attentive and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Our waiter for dinner was Silvio who was a real credit to The Balcon and served our table beautifully throughout the evening. The food was fantastic, we took advantage of the 3 Courses, 1 glass of champagne, Tea/Coffee Offer which was brilliant value and we were never made to feel rushed at any point during our meal. I was even presented with a surprise dessert as I was celebrating my wedding in 2 weeks time! We had a simply lovely time at The Balcon and I am already trying my plan my next visit!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and serviceNan63Dined on 23/8/2014The atmosphere was perfect for a saturday night. The service was very good and staff are so helpful and always smiling. The food was very good. We didnt want to leave!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SdhkDined on 23/8/2014Visited The Balcon for the first time and the food, service and ambience was excellent! We had a lovely dinner and definitely recommend it for a special occasion. Thank you to Silvio our waiter and all the staff for the excellent service!Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningJLeBDined on 23/8/2014Great value with the offer. The quality of the food was excellent and the taste of all the courses was very good. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Just Go!JimmyWangWangDined on 23/8/2014Brought my fiancée here for her birthday and it was kind of booked last minute - but we are glad we chose The Balcon. Food stunning, service stunning and it was one of the most enjoyable evenings in quite some time. We have gone very 'East End' when it comes to dining over the past while, but this has certainly won us back to the 'West End' - well done to all the amazing team there [particularly Silvio our server and his team of Managers/Supervisors that were so talkative & friendly].Special Features:
- StylishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 23/8/2014I really liked this restaurant. 3 of us went for a pre theatre lunch. We had the rapid lunch where you get the three courses served at the same time. I was a bit concerned about it to start with, but of course by the time it came, it was perfect, it meant no waiting around which is just what you want when you have a tight time frame. The food was absolutely delicious and the venue was so attractive. I have to say the hotel itself fills the senses, including a wonderful not not over powering perfumed smell on entrance. I would definitely go there again and would recommend it to people going to the theatre at the Haymarket. The waiting staff were wonderful, being really helpful to one of our party with a gluton allergySpecial Features:
- theatreloversDined on 22/8/2014All staff very friendly and helpful. Wonderful ambience, an oasis of calm in the heart of the city. Delicious food. We had a wonderful birthday celebration there and will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed atmosphere, great flavoursOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 22/8/2014Enjoyed a lovely lunch, a platter with all courses presented together, allowing for a speedy lunch if required. Friendly attentive service, a lovely place to return to.Special Features:
- Great Food and Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 21/8/2014I've stayed at Sofitel Pall Mall and eaten at The Bacon for lunch and dinner on several occasions. My experience has always been very good. If you are looking for a good classic French brasserie in London, then this would certainly be the place to go. The ambiance is relax, slightly formal yet not pretentious. Dimmed light setting with a décor that reminds me of old Parisian brasseries. The menu offers classically inspired French dishes. The dessert is something I never missed at this restaurant; with my particular love and adoration for raspberry macaroon and crepe suzette, which I would highly recommend. Aside, from the great food and memorable ambiance, the service at The Balcon is also one of the best I’ve had in London.Special Features:
- Great venue and location1885Dined on 20/8/2014We enjoyed an early dinner at the Balcon and had a very pleasant evening. A very classy restaurant with great attention to detail but welcoming and attentive service from a friendly front of house team. We had the 3 course + glass of wine + coffee package for less than £30, which was very good value for money in that location and hope to return in the near future.Special Features:
- Tasty and tastefulnameranonVIPDined on 19/8/2014Great atmosphere and delicious food. Safe for those with Coeliac's disease too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/8/2014My bankers and clients LOVED it as I knew they would. Great space, great atmosphere, good food and great location. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperblibertyDined on 18/8/2014The restaurant is a superb venue if you are having a date or business lunch at it is very quite and the staff is very attentive. They are mostly French but have an attitude to service many English staff could dream of. One of my favourites in London.Special Features:
- Good offerJulieHDined on 17/8/2014The OpenTable was a good offer but the choice were very limited for the mains unfortunately. We both had the mushroom ravioli which I would never go for in a restaurant as this is a very simple dish. Mine was too salty. The starter however was really good (steak tartare on toasted hazelnut bread), my friend had the foie gras and the portion was more than generous. The desert were very good too. The service was very friendly but we had to wait very long period of time in between courses and requests. The waitresss though was very knowledgeable and willing to help. Overall a good experience, but wihtout the offer it would have been a very expensive meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.