8 Pall Mall
London, SW1Y 5NGNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thebalconlondon.com/
- Phone: 020 7389 7820
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11pm
Saturday: 7am - 11pm
Sunday: 7am - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, English
- Executive Chef: Vincent Menager
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Balcon
For a sense of arrival, a sense of place and a sense of being part of a scene The Balcon is the place to eat, to drink, to see and be seen. Soak in the atmosphere of this modern London and Parisian grand brasserie under the champagne balcony, at the charcuterie bar or at your preferred table. Let the charcutier and the rest of the cast take you on a culinary journey with dishes inspired by both classic British and French cooking methods. The Balcon your all day dinning destination.Continued
Please note that our set menu is not available on bank holidays.
Please note that our set menu is not available on bank holidays.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Balcon reviews from OpenTable diners
678 reviews since 20 November 2013
special occasions (344)pre/post theatre (309)business meals (272)romance (244)fit for foodies (199)afternoon tea (137)brunch (111)outstanding value (95)sunday lunch (89)group bookings (68)good vegetarian options (44)disabled access (34)child friendly (17)outdoor eating (9)Show More
- Very average, nothing special, poor valueOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 15/11/2014Great small plates, some too small though. Not so great steak. Tiny dessert.
- Good old fashion French BrasserieBernardDined on 15/11/2014Great Saturday Lunch in a quite part of London. Good service some time a bit slow. The food is old fashioned French which is a bit of a fresh air these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dining experienceDeepakDined on 14/11/2014Fantastic service, great ambience, good food and cinvenient location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ValueminnaVIPDined on 14/11/2014Balcon is located in a very central area,close to picadilly circles and surrounded by British aricitures. The service is not bad even they are very busy. The special offer on opentable is recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Enjoyable ExperianceJJFGDined on 11/11/2014Very impressed with this restaurant, excellent value for money on the opentable dinner with wine deal. Food flavoursome and an imaginative menu, The service was attentive and friendly, Central location on Pall Mall. beautiful surroundings all in all a very positive experience. I shall certainly visit again soon. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never dissapointsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/11/2014One of my favourite go to restuarants in london. The interior is majestic and atmospheric. The food and service spot on, and the value is hard to be rivalled around london when using the top table offers. House wine is great however good wine list that extends beyond this of u feel like upgrading to something more specific. All round this place is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant restaurantvakacionesDined on 8/11/2014Great atmosphere. Really nice and quiet place in the centre of London! One of those place where you can dine without having to shout when talking as there are plenty of space between tables and it is not a noisy place, something rare to find nowadays in London. Food was good and well presented. Decoration is very warm and is a perfect place to rest after a busy day sightseeing or shopping in central London. I had dine there a few times and also been for tea and both experiences have been very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Mixed FeelingsDavidVIPDined on 8/11/2014Went on the OT offer. Very limited choice for small plates and the Market menu, no more than 3 choices. I wished the menu is the same online, like a lot of restaurants on OT they don't seems to want to update on a regular basis. What we had was good. Not sure if we want to go again.Special Features:
- Return visitKFCBromleyDined on 8/11/2014Fifth visit and again the food was excellent. Shall definitely return.Special Features:
- Another great mealworldtravellerDined on 7/11/2014We visit the Balcon regularly and the food is always excellent. The deal for 3 courses + a glass of wine + tea/coffee at £28 per head is excellent value. I took a girlfriend, and my grown up daughters, and we had a really fun relaxing time.Special Features:
- Business LunchDarrenBallDined on 7/11/2014Service was attentive and unobtrusive -food was superb recommend for bus lunchSpecial Features:
- Same qualitysimesVIPDined on 6/11/2014Never fails to deliver. Set menu options are limited but always superb. Outstanding value for the west end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EagereaterDined on 3/11/2014I had a dream to dine in luxury style pre theater and the dream came true. Miracle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SylbDined on 3/11/2014Would highly recommend this restaurant in all respects!Special Features:
- 3 courses and coffeeExperienceddiner1Dined on 1/11/2014Went for the 3 courses and coffee for £24 pp offer. Starter of salmon pretty bland, cottage pie very average and something that could have made equally well at home, and dessert was very good. Coffee very good as well. Overall pleased with the value, but expected a bit more for the food quality. Service generally good bar few small details.
- in a word - wonderful!TBANDined on 1/11/2014from the charming doorman at the hotel, all staff were fabulous. started with cocktails in the lounge, I had a Manhattan which was excellent decided to stick with the opentable menu, the Flammekueche wasnt quite what we expected (i thought it would be creamier) but was tasty a friend had the salmon which was great ,menu had been changed for specials, the cottage pie was delicious but quite rich, a friend had the pasta with musshroom and chestnuts which was also good not usually a dessert fan, but I wanted about 5 of them - opted for the crepe souffle - super finished with a green tea and coffees - with a bottle of champagne and the cocktails, it was very reasonable cost I would recommend Balcon 100% and shall returnSpecial Features:
- Good in parts.petercDined on 1/11/2014We did enjoy our visit to The Balcon with friends but with reservations. We booked the Opentable deal but the choices are quite limited. Furthermore the portions are small but the food was good quality. The ambient temperature of the restaurant was quite cold and we had to ask more than once to have the aircon turned down. By the time you've paid for drinks and service plus other extras you could have got more or less the same value at many other restaurants in town so not quite the amazing deal that we thought.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive staffNikiiDined on 31/10/2014Food was delicious and served by lovely staff. Good choice of reasonably priced wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrated Wife's 40th BirthdayShamrockDined on 31/10/2014Location perfect for Theatre, the reception from the Balcon Team throughout Service was exceptional, friendly and professional. A genuinely lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2eatDined on 31/10/2014This was the second time I been to the Balcon . The food was good good value for the three courses meal but not many choices. We also try the other main course the lamb saddle was melted in your mouth and the sirloin was good quality beef very delicious overall good food and good service .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at the BalconMealdealerVIPDined on 31/10/2014Our second visit to the attractive Balcon restauarant - and the menu is even better. The variety of delicious 'small plates ' on the OT deal is extensive and although the 'market' menu for our main course had only three dishes, our choice of hake with lentils was mouth-watering. Best of all was the fabulous crepes Suzette dessert. Choice of coffee, a varied breadbasket and prompt, friendly service were the added touches which made our dinner really enjoyable. The OT deal was excellent value for this standard of food and service - highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbianceNinavinDined on 31/10/2014Love the relaxed atmosphere but high standards. All staff very friendly and helpful and food with a french twist and very good. Certainly will be back many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular dining roombattyDined on 31/10/2014This was an excellent lunch in spectacular surroundings. French classics - soufflé with langoustines, escargots, cassoulet with some reasonably priced wines and a lovely pastry trolley for afters. This would be an ideal location for a special occasion and a great spot for visitors to the National Gallery or Piccadilly.Special Features:
- Evening dinner at the BalconBarneyDined on 30/10/2014Terrific ambience. Lovely staff, and attentive service. Great interaction with our waitress. The parsnip and maple syrup cake is delicious. It's worth a visit just to view the paintings of chickens in suits!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Place for Good FoodkwsunshineVIPDined on 30/10/2014We were four women celebrating a birthday, and this was an excellent place to do it. It felt special but not stuffy, the food was excellent (3 course very good value) served at the right speed. Every dish was full-flavoured and a sensible size. I would be more than happy to return.
- Great pre-theatre mealDine4FunDined on 30/10/2014We dined here before heading to the theatre. It is informal, but in a good way. The staff were very friendly and attentive and the food was delicious. I would definitely recommend dining here pre-theatre as opposed to closer to the theatres.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value special offer set menuallaboutdessertDined on 30/10/2014We booked the balcon at 5pm after a day walking and sightseeing in london. Restaurant lovely and quiet. Set menu was great value and portions were good enough. We only had water - two bottles charged £12!!. Wine was very expensive - £30 for a carafe was too much so we left that. Other than disappointment on cost of drinks it was a very nice meal and felt well rested afterwards before journey home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NJCSW7Dined on 29/10/2014Very pleasant dinner in elegant and calm surroundings. Set menu very good value, allowing lots of choice of first courses and three main courses (but one needs to ask for the menu). Good wines, though not cheap. Service very charming, mostly French, though we had to ask to have our wine glasses topped up a couple of times - the bottle was out of reach.
- very attentive staffJGourmetVIPDined on 29/10/2014We had a lovely meal on set menu with very attentive service. Lovely setting. Would definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delivered on its promisetheatregoerDined on 28/10/2014A smart brasserie with some interesting specials alongside the expected. Good service, friendly welcome, near the national gallery where we had been at a reception - we would come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cookieVIPDined on 28/10/2014Lovely restaurant. The offer is excellent value as you get to choose from their starters and desserts with the main coming from the market selection, so there is a great variety of choice. I would personally have preferred the new potato and squid starter to be warm but that was my personal preference and not a criticism of the quality of the food. They actually have three offers going and we ended up having three courses with a glass of wine and coffee for £28.Special Features:
- Great ServiceMandJBDined on 28/10/2014We went for a meal to celebrate our friend's special birthday and had a lovely evening. I'd asked for a table with a 'nice' view and got a round table in the top corner, which was perfect. They also produced a small platter of cakes with a candle for no extra charge. They were very attentive without being intrusive and we didn't feel rushed at all. We had the offer of 3 courses and coffee for £23, plus a glass of wine for £5. Any starter and dessert was allowed, just a selection of 3 mains to choose from - which was fine for that price! Nicely done food and beautiful atmosphere. The restaurant has very high ceilings, large windows and elegant furnishings. Conveniently near the centre of London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cfaulknerDined on 27/10/2014The Balcon really is something special - a very pretty room and great food, especially with the OpenTable deal which gives a very good choice of starter and pudding and from three main courses. The service was really excellent - attentive without being too intrusive, and I liked the petit fours with candle which were brought to nearby tables obviously celebrating birthdays. One of these days I'll treat myself to the main menu!Special Features:
- Group DininghappyeaterDined on 25/10/2014We booked under the offer 3 courses + coffee for 8 people. Service was excellent as was the food. We took a long time deciding what to have as everyone liked the idea of everything so had to strategise so as to get to try many items. Wine was also good but not in offer. Whole group loved the venue and and the food. Recommend highlySpecial Features:
- Fantastic DealfoodcomaDined on 25/10/2014Saw the deal on OpenTable and could not resist. Amazing duck breast for main course. Lovely and polite wait staff despite busy saturday night. Fantastic deal with great variety of starters and desserts to chose from. Chunky chips on neighbouring table looked fantastic too!Special Features:
- POOREST SERVICE EVEROpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 25/10/2014The service was appaling. Our 4 year old child was not given a high chair, child menu or even cutlery. We all had our starters and she had to wait for mains to get her food. The wine list was misleading in its pricing (price shown was for 500ml carafe not a bottle) and the year written on it wasnt the actual year on the bottle. So the wine menu would show the price for a 2010 wine and then we were served that wine from 2013.
- Fantastic food and great choiceBusybeeDined on 24/10/2014What a surprise find! Food was great and menu choice was brilliant for all age ranges! In our party we ranged from 19 - 86 and everyone could find something they liked on the menu! Ambience was perfect, not too loud and lots of space. Tables weren't crammed together so felt at ease when talking. Service was great and food and drinks were great value for money. Thoroughly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simple & tasty, not value for moneyNonameDined on 24/10/2014We went to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Starter and main course was simple, but tasty. I was disappointed with the dessert. I was expecting choux pastry filled with ice cream, instead i got ice cream with a bit of biscuit on top and bottom. Service was excellent. Although food was tasty, it was very over priced. If i am paying that much, i would have liked to see extravagant style food. They obviously get a lot of posh people ready to pay whatever money. I could have got the same style food in a half decent restaurent for half the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theatre mealSallyMayDined on 24/10/2014A pre theatre meal for 8 people. The service was very good, the food excellent. We were able to enjoy the meal and chat without feeling under pressure to eat and run.Special Features:
- palaceDined on 24/10/2014very enjoyable experience, service excellent, food first classSpecial Features: