8 Pall Mall
London, SW1Y 5NGNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thebalconlondon.com/
- Phone: 02073897820x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11pm
Saturday: 7am - 11pm
Sunday: 7am - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English, French
- Executive Chef: Vincent Menager
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Balcon
For a sense of arrival, a sense of place and a sense of being part of a scene The Balcon is the place to eat, to drink, to see and be seen. Soak in the atmosphere of this modern London and Parisian grand brasserie under the champagne balcony, at the charcuterie bar or at your preferred table. Let the charcutier and the rest of the cast take you on a culinary journey with dishes inspired by both classic British and French cooking methods. The Balcon your all day dinning destination.Continued
Please note that our set menu is not available on bank holidays.
Please note that our set menu is not available on bank holidays.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Balcon reviews from OpenTable diners
640 reviews since 4 June 2014
special occasions (324)pre/post theatre (290)business meals (253)romance (239)fit for foodies (178)afternoon tea (125)brunch (98)sunday lunch (86)outstanding value (76)group bookings (64)good vegetarian options (37)disabled access (29)child friendly (17)outdoor eating (7)Show More
- Offer was misleadingMisleadingDined on 28/9/2014Booked thru Open Table Offers for dinner at Balcon on a very special occasion of my son's 18th birthday .Offer included Small Starters , main course( from Chef specials) & desert, all from Ala Carte menu as per Open table offer. However, we got a choice of 3 unattractive mains from "Market Specials" of the Ala Carte menu which is not the same as "Chef specials". If that was so, why not mention mains from "market specials" specifically? I would not book this dinner had i known this and both Open table as well as the restaurant are misleading the public. In the offer, it should have clearly been mentioned that we had a choice of main courses under the heading "Market specials". I will never trust Sofitel or Open table again .
- Balcon Sat 27 SeptStewpotDined on 27/9/2014£33.00 dinner for 3 of us proved very enjoyable, nicely appointed restaurant with attentive service, lovely food and an unhurried, uncrowded restaurant made this a very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:
- A Fine RestaurantFood4AllDined on 27/9/2014This is a wonderful restaurant. The ambience, service as well as the food is exemplary. The only criticism I have is that the music was a little loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunchKittyKatDined on 27/9/2014The food was delicious and excellent value, the Tray Rapide was fabulous. The childrens menu was varied and the staff were very friendly and attentive. I can't fault it and look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant afternoon teaAnonymous22Dined on 27/9/2014I'd definitely recommend afternoon tea, the scones were the best we had and the service was impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three course offer excellent valuechrisDined on 27/9/2014Four of us lunched here on Saturday. It's light, spacious with plenty lots of room between tables and the staff are very efficient. We had terrine pate and the squid and we all chose the lamb with couscous. The meal was delicious and the portions generous. We finished off with the financier dessert -lovely, and baba served with a glass of whisky which were equally tasty. All this for £28 with a glass of wine each and a cofffee included which made it excellent value.Special Features:
- The BalconsandyVIPDined on 26/9/2014friendly staff with good food and a lovely atmosphere.Special Features:
- A belle epoque evening on Pall MallLapinAgileDined on 23/9/2014We booked The Balcon to experience a special Paris-like atmosphere and its French cuisine and wine that we love especially onour wedding anniversary. The restaurant has real class and it is a massive improvement on the previous Brasserie. We loved the ambience, the Art Deco design and especially the service provided by the team that looked after us exceptionally well. Special mention goes to Melany (a true Parisian in spirit and looks) who made us feel really welcome and at home. The food was beautifully presented and not expensive. The wine list was amazing and very reasonably priced. We will visit again soon. Thank you Melany and team for making our evening so special and sorry for keeping you well after everyone had left the premises.Special Features:
- ExcellentLadyLuvs2dineDined on 20/9/2014Excellent service, food and surroundings. Plenty of time to enjoy before theatre show.Special Features:
- A wonderful lunchDinerDined on 20/9/2014I booked this restaurant for a leisurely Saturday lunch. The standard of cooking was high and the presentation very good. The staff are so friendly and helpful! Even though the restaurant was formal, there is no air of arrogance from the staff - far the opposite. The service is to a very hight standard and the desserts are beautiful! I would recommend the ice cream profiteroles and a fresh lemonade which the waiter made us! If I had one criticism to make it would be that the starter and main course portions are rather small but that didn't matter too much. We had a wonderful time and I'm looking forward to my 4th visit there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suitable for family occasionoccasionaldiner2Dined on 20/9/2014We wanted a pleasant place to eat for a family occasion and The Balcon turned out to be very suitable - good food and service and excellent environmentSpecial Features:
- The Balcon - another great night!VIBEDined on 19/9/2014Have been to this restaurant a number of times and it is always good on the open table special. It was busy this time but service was still as attentive and friendly. Not so keen on the open table choices this time but they change them so know next time there will be more I like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, vibe & serviceSirDinealotVIPDined on 19/9/2014After a few shaky experiences at the balcon when it first opened, the restaurant seems to have come into its own. Warm welcome, good food and perhaps more crucially for a restaurant attached to a hotel; atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaydreamerdaydreamerDined on 19/9/2014We chose this restaurant for a college reunion and everyone enjoyed the evening with drinks in the bar area and the offer menu in the dining room. The food and choice were excellent : the service was discreet but efficient. One of our guests ate a la carte and found choices equally good.. We were quite early but the dining area soon filled up and the ambience was perfect. It is a very elegant dining area and feels very special. This is the 3rd time I have dined here and have had a great experience each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great West End venueGastromanDined on 19/9/2014My first experience of The Balcony. Excellent decor and roomy. Being somewhat deaf I fid a lot of restaurants uncomfortably noisy. Here it was perfect and the tables are reasonably well separated. The quality of the food was first class and the house red most enjoyable. Very relaxed and tasty meal in beautiful surroundings and well served. Also restaurant in ideal situation for theatre, shops and most everything else. Set menu at £28 Inc a glass of wine but plus service was excellent value in this sort of establishment in Pall Mall. Congratulations Sofitel! GastromanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to normal standardHawkmanVIPDined on 18/9/2014We have visited The Balcon on many occasions, and this is the first time we have been slightly disappointed. The service was, as usual, friendly and efficient, but the presentation of the food was not up to the normal high standard. We both chose the smoked haddock casserole for main course - very tasty, and a good sized portion of fish - but hidden below half a plate of mashed potato. Served on a white plate, the visual effect was totally unappetising. Starters, too, were visually unappealing - again, predominantly white food on a white dish. Hopefully just a temporary blip, as normally we really enjoy our meals here.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 17/9/2014Good value for lunch and excellent cod with ratatouille sauce, although disappointed there was no simple grilled fish on the menu.Special Features:
- Good food in a relaxed ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 14/9/2014We wanted a special meal for my daughter's 27th birthday and were not disappointed. Consistently good and interesting food and an attentive waiter who seemed genuinely interested to ensure we had a good time.Special Features:
- Un moment inoubliableBlaguDined on 13/9/2014Nous avions choisi de dîner au Balcon pour fêter nos 20 ans de mariage. Ambiance très agréable grâce à la décoration et à l'éclairage, personnel très aimable, parlant remarquablement bien français. Cuisine de grande qualité, cuisson parfaite, service de très bonne qualité. Nous avions une chambre au Saint James Sofitel, nous recommandons à la fois l'hotel et le restaurant pour des séjours romantiques en plein centre de Londres.Special Features:
- Something specialNikkiLDined on 13/9/2014If you are looking for a restaurant that has great food and a wonderful atmosphere then the Balcon is the place to go, my party and I were on the 3 courses plus champagne and coffee for £33 pp, which is an amazing deal when you see the quality of the food you get. This is the forth time I have been this year and I am never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A touch of ClasslittlebunnyDined on 13/9/2014The Balcon I have discovered the Balcon by chance and love it! The ambiance, the details and even the uniform of the staff was elegant but more elegant was their mannerism, the welcome, the service and their lovely smiles it seems nowadays a rare things to find. The food is a gourmet experience which fusion with all details, thank you to the staff who has made us so welcomeSpecial Features:
- Another good mealSteveDined on 11/9/2014Organised a business meal for 6 the other evening. Again the Balcon was a combination of super service and great food, all washed down by some excellent wine.Special Features:
- Best value great foodBizShrinkVIPDined on 11/9/2014This is my regular place to go for lunch and entertain for dinner. Service superb. Food excellent
- Discovered a gem!SLP28Dined on 10/9/2014Highly recommend this restaurant, a gem in a touristy area of London where food is normally average and over-priced. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experienceAndypDined on 9/9/2014The Balcon is one of my favourite restaurants anywhere. The service is generally exceptionally good, and the food delicious. I had a three course set menu, which was lovely, and exceptional value. I would go back tomorrow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous service, really nice food.AndyTeeDined on 6/9/2014This was booked for a 45th wedding anniversary celebration. We were fabulously well looked after. Great comms from the restaurant pre-meal, nothing was too much trouble. Very flexible when we advised we were running late. We had the £33 three courses, coffee and champagne offer and it was great quality - how can they do it at that price? Thoroughly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodjacksatta78Dined on 6/9/2014Very good restaurant, great service, nice food and really central location. The wine list is a bit pricey but you pay for quality!Special Features:
- 4th visit and best everAPdinerDined on 6/9/2014Took friends to Balcon having visited before and been impressed. Had lovely table on raised area, private enough for chat but still able to enjoy the atmosphere. Service was excellent - friendly, helpful and attentive without being obtrusive. How nice to have gaps between courses so we didn't feel rushed but also didn't feel forgotten. Had the 3 course deal and coffee with the most delicious truffle chocolates - food was superb, presentation great and certainly both filling and tasty. Our friends loved it as well and they know their food. One of our favourite 'special' places to eat and entertain visitors in London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real TreatFoodFanaticDined on 6/9/2014I booked a Saturday night dinner for me and my husband using Opentable's special offer of 3 courses and coffee for £23. It was excellent value for money. It's a very smart restaurant, ideal for celebrations and the service was very good - including being offered a special table hook to hang my handbag. We would definitely recommend it and go back.Special Features:
- lissDined on 5/9/2014I felt the deal was good value but the service was slow and the food was nice but I was expecting better. I also thought that as I warned the restaurant I was gluten free in advance that they may have offered me gluten free bread. However, the staff were friendly and as a setting I thought it was a beautiful place and I would imagine, after looking at the full menu, that if we had been paying full price the food and service would have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicejlllDined on 5/9/2014we had a wonderful time at the restaurant. We chose the 3 courses deal and it was a great value! Both of us had duck leg for the main course, which was delicious. The ambience was top standard. We will come back!Special Features:
- THE BALCON - Lunch with the girls !winendineDined on 5/9/2014The afternoon was a delight much attributed to the awesome ambience of the restaurant. It was fascinating to see the transformation of the Cox bank into such a luxurious and well defined dining hall. The service was very attentive and we were made to feel comfortable straightaway. The platters were explained and the system was different adding a little excitement to our afternoon ( as if all the gossip of all the affairs of our friends was not exciting enough ! ) The food was delicious and perfect portions. It was fine dining at its best. For £20/ …thats the ways to do it.Special Features:
- serice and food was goodAnnilisaDined on 4/9/2014We had a lovely evening, the food was good and the staff were friendly and helpful.We certainly will go again.Special Features:
- Great venue overallScofferDined on 4/9/2014Fantastic venue, beautiful dining room and bar, all uncrowded and plenty of space. Went on the £23 meal-deal and starter and desert were excellent. The main, a fish stew affair was pretty basic and rustic and would be better suited to a good pub but it tasted ok. Drink prices were in the proper high-class hotel range so while you get a great deal on the food your saving definitely gets clawed back by the time you get through a bottle of wine and a cocktail! A great place to go if you want a pleasant dinner and a couple of drinks, but if you want to spend an evening in the bar getting inebriated you may want to apply for a second mortgage beforehand. That said- it's a lovely venue away from the hustle and bustle and maybe it's worth it.Special Features:
- A relaxing lunchHemsgirlDined on 3/9/2014A lunch between 2 friends who hadn't seen each other for 29 years but thanks to Facebook had united was made even better by the patient staff who did not rush us to make choices. The food was ideal lunch time fare not too much but tasty, & the wine menu was approved of by my friend who has been in the hospitality business for a long time.Special Features:
- Amazing service, beautiful buildingporgypooDined on 2/9/2014The staff were wonderful. Smiling and helpful and attentive and polite. Really great people who made us feel relaxed and welcome. Absolutely how service should be. The food was a little disappointing. I probably wouldn't recommend dining at The Balcon but will definitely be back for drinks.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable meal-recommendedBlueBearDined on 30/8/2014We went for a birthday meal at the Balcon on Saturday evening. The food was of a very high standard - the Lemon Sole and the Burgers were particularly enjoyable. If you have a sweet tooth then make sure you have a dessert - the little Parisian desserts were delicious as was the Creme Brulee The service was fantastic - excellent job by the waiter and the decor was very pleasant. I recommend this restaurant for all types of diners as it ticks all the boxes.Special Features:
- New style at The BalconRichardDined on 30/8/2014I am pleased to see that they still offer their £28 for three courses plus a glass of drinkable wine and coffee or tea. It's a bit more than you might pay for a prix fixe but you have a wide choice and the menu changes regularly, They usually offer unusual options which you rarely find: I had rabbit with a mustard sauce, They also have a charcuterie bar so my starter of English smoked ham was excellent The presentation is of a very high quality with specific table ware for different dishes (my friend's tagine came in a Moroccan earthenware dish). Desert choices are interesting (I had a blackberry florentine with green apple sorbet). All in all a very good choice for a relaxing gourmet meal at a good value price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the balconjamieinlondonDined on 30/8/2014Beautiful room, excellent service and great value. I had been looking around at top west end restaurants offering a pre theatre menu but found most of them offer very little choice - more often than not it's a choice of 3 starters, 3 mains, 3 desserts. The Balcon however offered a wide range of choice and the food was delicious. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- AlysduhDined on 27/8/2014Food not up to usual standard, salad choice poor. Bread not as varied as usual . My cheese board just had one cheese (3 slices) but no celery and my crepe suzette was rather dry. Rest of party were quite happy