The Bell Inn
8 Thames Street
Hampton, TW12 2EANeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £25 and under
The Bell Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebellinnhampton.co.uk/
- Phone: 02089419799
- Hours of Operation:
We are open for both lunch and dinner daily. Unfortunately we are unable to cater for younger guests after 7pm.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
We have a variety of nights which we put on including comedy nights, quiz nights, cheese & wine evenings as well as jazz evenings etc. Many of the entertainment nights are in our function room so don't effect our diners.
- Special Events: Comedy@theInn On the first Wednesday of every month the Bell hosts a fantastic night of comedy. Our pre-show menu starts at 6pm and the show starts at 8pm. Monday night is steak night from 6pm.
A word from The Bell Inn
We are an upmarket gastro pub that focuses on quality service, food and drink.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Bell Inn - Best restaurants in East Molesey ›
The Bell Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since 31 October 2013
sunday lunch (18)outdoor eating (13)group bookings (12)fit for foodies (11)special occasions (8)good vegetarian options (7)child friendly (7)brunch (6)business meals (6)outstanding value (5)afternoon tea (2)pre/post theatre (2)romance (1)disabled access (1)Show More
- The Bell Inn HamptonCharlotte394Dined on 11/10/2014Great food and great service! Camenbert sharing starter platter was super yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mercDined on 21/9/2014quite agood meal but had to wait a long time for itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to take friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014The Bell Inn was the ideal choice to take four Germans and a Frenchman for dinner at a 'typical English pub'. We had a view of the river from our table and there was plenty to tempt them on the menu. They were none of them too keen on English beer but that wasn't a problem because there was plenty of lagers and wines to choose from and they were all very taken with our waitress too! It's not the first time we have taken foreign visitors there – some other Parisian friends always suggest lunch at The Bell when they come over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Problems with food serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014When we were seated at our table the waitress seemed hurried to take our order & get us out of there. When we explained we were there for the eve to enjoy the music she said there was a 2 hour wait for food. It didn't seem overly full but she said they were just busy. We ordered starters as we really did not want to be rushed. As we had suspected the starters came within 20 mins and were lovely. After a break we ordered our main meal. The veg stack which was a great dissapointment. The veg were hard with the aubergine inedibly raw & the whole thing lacked flavour, the plate had clearly sat on the pass for too long as the salad was wilted/slimy. We had to request a comp drink but by then we were v underwhelmed by the service and food.
- Pleasant riverside pubCurrymehomeDined on 30/8/2014Very good food in this pleasnt riverside pub. Very attentive and friendly staff, good range of drinks and real ale. Enjoyable live music and a volume allowing conversation. I would recommend this pub
- attentive servicesmc123Dined on 28/8/2014the excellent service of one of the waiters made this a great dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great saladLala268Dined on 24/8/2014I had the haloumi salad, it was supposed to come with peppers and tomatoes but there wasn't a lot of that on my plate. It also came with ice berg lettuce and that was a massive disappointment! The dressing was okay but I just couldn't eat the lettuce, wouldn't recommend I'm afraid! However, to be fair another on our table had the tuna steak and that was good, maybe I just chose wrong!??Special Features:
- Fine, nothing to write home aboutSurreyDiner25Dined on 20/8/2014There was nothing wrong with the meal and the service was fine. I think it was the ambience that made it mediocre. The restaurant area is lacking and feels a bit like a conservatory. Probably nice to just go for a drink in there.Special Features:
- Friday evening mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 15/8/2014Toilets were not of a high standard, smelly and not clean Two Fish, batter was oily, fried at two lower temperature Two Chicken dishes seem to be a good choice. Wine selection was good. Based on the web site and other site ratings and the higher than most price, we were expecting a much better meal.Special Features:
- Slow serviceHorsetowaterDined on 2/8/2014The food for this Gastropub was ok. A little pricey, but the ingredients seemed to be of good quality. Service was desperately slow, but the pub was busy thanks to a good Jazz evening, and the limited staff were obviously struggling. They remained polite throughout, and a helpful suggestion to move closer to the music while waiting for dessert was well received, even if we didn't see our waitress for the next forty minutes ;) The Jazz itself (for those who might be interested) was best when instrumental. Many of the guest vocalists were poor, with just two notable exceptions. The pub décor is more than acceptable, though the dining chair cushions could do with a washing! We will be back for drinks.
- Slow and inattentiveKatieODined on 27/6/2014We waited too long for someone to take our order so my husband went to the bar to place it. After 45 minutes we had not had our starters or any contact from staff. So we told them we were leaving and we did. The one plus was that they wouldn't let us pay for our (soft) drinks.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 21/6/2014The food was great as always. The only disappointment in service was that we chose to sit outside to eat as it was a beautiful evening, which means you do not get waiter service, so the flow of the evening was interrupted by having to go to the bar to order every course and time we needed more drinks.Special Features:
- Evening with friendsJayneDined on 13/6/2014We have visited The Bell a few times, the food is good but a little overpriced sadly the service was rather slow. Our evening was spoilt by the presence of very tired and noisy children. Whilst this is not the fault of the Bell they ought to consider allowing very young children in after 8pmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Bell is back !aussieDined on 31/5/2014Read a few poor reviews of the Bell and we had a similar experience last week. However, we sent an email to the owners expressing our disappointment and decided to try a meal again last Saturday. What a difference ! The meal was very good. My tagliatelle was excellent, our friend's pork cutlet too and my husband's haddock and chips was fine although he did find there was a tad too much batter on the fish. All in all we had a great time, Anca our server was excellent - both friendly and efficient. We will be back !!Special Features:
- Noisy on a Saturday eveningSteve1368Dined on 3/5/2014Usually the ambiance at The Bell is the correct side of lively and the service prompt. However, this Saturday just gone, was just far too noisy and the food way too slow. We arrived at 7pm which would usually mean we would beat the 8pm rush but the food took so long that it was around 8pm before we we received our main course. This is also the time when the live music starts. I had imaged this to be of the background variety, but it wasn't. We found ourselves having to shout at each other, not only to rise above the amplifier but also in competition of the other diners who were having to do the same. I think the music would have better without the vocal. The ears can filter instruments but has difficulty filtering another (amplified) one.Special Features:
- Lacked attention to detailDisappointedDined on 26/4/2014Although the atmosphere in the bar was good, it was really hot due to the large pizza ovens. We had two meals over two days and on both occasions a meal had to be sent back as special requests had been missed, I ordered a well done burger which came rare and a simple bacon sandwich for breakfast without butter that came with butter. It just lacked attention to detail and when mistakes were made although the staff were friendly, ther was no simple appology. It was disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brought my nephew and neice along..carlyjDined on 6/4/2014They thought it was brilliant. Even though you were short staffed (and it was not noticable, we were told) seevice was fabulous and attentive. Starters were beautifully presented and tasy and the beef and lamb dishes, huge and really tasty! Well doneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sunday roastJonesandCoDined on 23/3/2014A view of the river, a friendly, knowledgable waitress, great drink selection, easy car parking, smart but not too trendy interiors and a roaring fire - what more can you ask on a Sunday lunch?... A plate stacked with spot-on roast potatoes, veg, top quality beef and a perfect Yorkshire pudding! Very happy we made the trip to Hampton for this one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow servicestillhungryDined on 15/3/2014The title says it all. I've been to the Bell several times, the food is always good but the service is very slow. So much so on our last visit that we ran out of time to order dessert. I'd still recommend it to a friend but I would suggest avoiding peak times if you want to have your meal within an hour of ordering!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good when we got it!JMJMDined on 9/3/2014My husband and I went here for Sunday lunch with my 3 yr old - having read previous reviews about poor service when it was busy, I had hoped that arriving at 12.15 would mean it would be relatively quiet and lunch would be quite quick. We all ordered Sunday Roasts - something that ought to be quick for a kitchen to plate up but it took over 50 minutes for any food to arrive. It seemed to be getting only worse for those that came in after us- and it still didn't appear that busy in terms of numbers eating. I will say that when it came it was a nice roast - but especially with kids, this wait with no warning or apology is really not good- there is obviously some work needed on managing their kitchen better.Special Features:
- PoorQuizmasterDined on 6/3/2014Service was poor. Clearly understaffed. The main meal was far too salty.
- Good honest foodTwicksfixDined on 4/3/2014Was lovely food, and very accommodating staff. However the pub itself was very cold in temperature. Service was really good from 2 young guys but they definitely needed an extra pair of hands as we were left with our empty plates for a long time, before then prompting for desert. Would recommend a visit especially in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- appallingjackjacksDined on 2/3/2014would never go back. avoid at all costs. we went for early evening Sunday Dinner & they offered only ONE starter choice. is that a choice???? and five mains.
- Fabulous Sunday lunchKrissDined on 2/3/2014Great friendly Inn, dog friendly despite high end food. Only critism, I would have liked to have hot plates for sharing platter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is the second time we1hamptonmanDined on 7/2/2014This is the second time we have visited this resturant and found the food excellent. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Sunday LunchCanuckDined on 2/2/2014Hubby and I had walked across Bushy Park to get there and after an hour's walk, we were very ready for lunch! The roasts were delicious - beef was still a little pink even at 2:30. We had a lovely table in the front window over looking the Thames with the sun pouring in and thoroughly enjoyed our lunch. It did take just over 30 mins to get our food, which was a little slow for starving diners, but they were packed and it was Sunday lunchtime - we'd have ordered starters too if we'd known food was going to be so tasty! Great sorbets & chocolate ice cream too. We'll definitely be back - as great to earn your lunch with a one hour walk to and from the pub :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would recommend!DaisyDined on 2/2/2014I went to the Bell Inn for sunday lunch with my parents. I had the lamb and it was very good indeed. My dad had the vegetarian sunday lunch option which was described on the menu as a root vegetable wellington and came out with peppers instead of root veg. Overall the food was not as hot as it could have been and service was quite slow but it was a very busy sunday lunchtime so I would still visit this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Avoid The Bell Inn!dontgothereDined on 26/1/2014Our table for 6 was booked for 4.30pm but the kitchen closes between 3 - 5pm! We ordered main courses about 5.15pm which didn't arrive until just after 6pm. There were still a number of mistakes with the food order despite getting the young (nice) guy to read the order back which we corrected. The food was dreadful and served lukewarm - we just couldn't eat it. They gave us £60 off our bill but it didn't make up for a disastrous birthday lunch. I still left a 10% tip which on reflection I shouldn't have done. We should have walked away after the delay and not bothered waiting 90 minutes for that food!
- No ShowBonnieDined on 11/1/2014Although The Bell was not very busy, we waited 15 minutes for a menu which never arrived and so left and ate at the Indian restaurant next door which was great.
- Pleasant Casual LunchSeanDDined on 23/12/2013Met up with a couple of friends just before Christmas for a casual lunch. The food was good, I had opted for the fish and chips which arrived in a good sized portion. The service was rather slow, however since we weren't really in a rush this wasn't really a problem. I would recommend the restaurant.
- The staff were most attentive,colinDined on 21/12/2013The staff were most attentive, food good. and the ambiance was excellenceSpecial Features:
- Let down by s-l-o-w serviceFuntoeatDined on 19/12/2013Thursday evening, half full. Booked for 7, didn't get mains until 8.30. Too long! Charming waitress, not her fault. Kitchen is inefficient and slow. Food: first courses all v good. Mains: Turkey pie, excellent, chicken pasta with olives and tomatoes - too astringent, needed some demarra sugar to cut the sharpness of the olives and toms. Would go again if they get their kitchen act together. It may be good food, but it's not acceptable to wait almost an hour between courses.
- Not ravingRadishDined on 17/12/2013Lovely food, polite staff, good wine but ambience left a lot to be desired. Unless of course you like to eat in area devoid of lighting and stuck in between a busy bar & kitchen door? Shame but we didn't let this spoil our evening. Food was worth waiting for and we were left to ourselves. Would have been nice to have had a full menu to choose from, but Christmas had come early and someone had already consumed all their cheese! Will try again at a quieter time of year,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't multi-taskNadineDined on 8/12/2013Attended The Bell Inn for Sunday lunch. The food was decent but the service was terrible. Due to a large function upstairs, our orders got delayed so in total we waited approximately an hour between courses. My boyfriend had to go and ask what was going on, there was never any initiative from the staff to warn customers. At several points there were no staff downstairs as everyone was involved in the function. It's not other customers who should suffer if there is a big function - either get more staff or close the restaurant section. The other thing is a lack of value for money. Desserts are nearly £7 which is expensive especially for outside of London. We paid £28 each for the meal which is really expensive for a pub. Disappointed.
- Taking the gastro out of gastropubGastronoughtVIPDined on 8/12/2013The term "gastropub" has been so devalued that it now essentially seems to refer to any pub that serves anything more substantial than a packet of pork scratchings. The Bell Inn is delightfully situated overlooking the Thames and has many elements working in its favour. I particularly liked the DIY Bloody Mary station (though sadly the DIY didn't extend to the vodka), with full marks for the inclusion of horseradish (bafflingly rare these days). So why was it an underwhelming experience? Painfully slow service and mediocre food. A gastropub it may aspire to be but a gastropub it ain't. It's just a pub that serves pub food. Which is fine if you want decent pub food and are not in a hurry. If you want creative cooking, head elsewhere.
- My wife and I have eaten hereBosherDined on 19/11/2013My wife and I have eaten here on a number of occasions. The food has always been good , likewise the service. We will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely time at the Bell InnLMPPutneyDined on 17/11/2013The Bell Inn is a lovely pub on the river - great (Sunday lunch) food and buzzy atmosphere. Our waitress was absolutely lovely and couldn't do enough for us. Very child friendly as well. Will be back.Special Features:
- Imaginative menu, great choiceNicSDined on 9/11/2013We came for lunch on Saturday with our children. Everything we chose was delicious, especially the slow cooked beef which was outstanding. The kids both enjoyed their meals and service was attentive. A great place that had obviously benefitted from its change in management.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Entertaining the FrenchVirgoDriverDined on 2/11/2013We took a Parisian couple and their grown-up son for lunch and they were impressed with the food but not the noise. They thought the music too loud and intrusive and too many screaming children. They were particularly surprised at how badly behaved the kids were by French standards (they are much better behaved and under control in restaurants in France). The service, however, was very friendly and efficient, although one glass of wine did get forgotten. Booking online worked perfectly and we got the window table we asked for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are a local family whoFoodfestDined on 1/11/2013We are a local family who have dined here twice. Each time we have loved the vibe of the pub and the excellent service - helpful, quick and unobtrusive. The food is good quality and well presented - excellent bistro standard.Special Features:
- The following 104 reviews are from the The Bell Inn reviews archive.