The Blackboard Bistro
4 Clare Street
Droichead Na Dothra
Dublin, Dublin 2Neighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
The Blackboard Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://theblackboardbistro.ie/
- Phone: 35316766839 x00
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12:30pm - 9:30pm
Saturday: 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Irish, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Gluten-free Menu
A word from The Blackboard Bistro
The Blackboard Bistro has received fawning reviews not just from press but, more importantly perhaps, from locals who just love the combination of welcoming and attentive service and excellent food. An immediate favourite of all who visit, the Bistro is ideally set just across from the National Gallery and, with its Parisian style interior, provides the perfect setting in which to kick back and shoot the breeze – be the subject art, life or even business. Prepared with a noticeable attention to detail, the fusion of Irish and French food works beautifully on every plate with dishes a feast for all of the senses.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Blackboard Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since 22 November 2013
romance (6)fit for foodies (6)special occasions (6)business meals (4)pre/post theatre (4)sunday lunch (3)good vegetarian options (2)group bookings (2)outstanding value (2)afternoon tea (2)brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 31/10/2014Good value fixed price menu with attentive service in the heart of the citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FindDiningDublinDavidDined on 31/7/2014Tucked away downstairs on Clare Street, petite and charming, service and food was delicious. Would totally recommend for a romantic meal for two or just a get together for a group of foodies!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good valueCelticDaniDined on 20/5/2014Found it online, good reviews, give it a try, great experience, the food is supper nice!! may be a side dish can be added too. will go back for sure!Special Features:
- wonderful experienceAPittsburghNativeDined on 1/5/2014While the menu is small, each dish we tried was perfectly prepared and presented with pride by Declan. The wine list complemented the food with nice choices. We found our experience to be so good that we ate here twice during our Dublin stay!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last night in Dublingrapefruit59Dined on 15/4/2014From the moment we arrived until leaving everything was amazing. Slight disappoint when the ox tongue salad was not available but this was due to a late arrival of the ingredients and as tongue needs a long slow cook this was understandable. Small choices which for me is always a good thing and the attention to detail was top notch. A true find in the busy streets of Dublin and I hope when I return I will find the restaurant thriving and continuing to serve excellent food at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Unexpected qualitygmblnmnDined on 29/3/2014A friend and I had a wonderful meal here on a Saturday night. It's a small place in a bright, tastefully decorated basement and I didn't know what to expect but I was really impressed with the quality of the food. There were four starters and four main courses available and we were told that the chef cooked the things he liked so the cuisine isn't easily labeled even though the chef is French. The presentation was beautiful and the food tasted very fresh and precisely prepared. Our server knew the wines on the list and we enjoyed a delicious Gigondas from a small but well-regarded producer (I found out later). The next time I'm in Dublin, I will certainly come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What was not to like?LostInThoughtDined on 26/3/2014Great food, wonderful service and lovely rustic environment. I would highly recommend the Blackboard whether dining with friends or having a romantic dinner for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely christmas mealhk00Dined on 20/12/2013Had some delicious food, including a beautiful pumpkin risotto. The service was friendly and attentive towards the start of the meal, but we were left waiting quite a while for our bill. A minor quibble only, and would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindLIG26Dined on 14/12/2013We took a chance and ate there last weekend for first time. We were well impressed with this little gem. Great food to suit all tastes. I had the pumpkin risotto and the confit of duck for my main cousre, delicious! Great location, handy for drinks in town after.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blackboard reveiwRookjcDined on 22/11/2013The food was very well presented and the whole group thoroughly enjoyed the service and quality of the food.Special Features:
- The following 262 reviews are from the The Blackboard Bistro reviews archive.
- fabulous for lunchJennyUDined on 25/10/2013The bistro is small and cosy, and would be perfect for lunch or dinner - we visited for lunch. The service was superb - efficient, and very friendly without being intrusive. The food was terrific: warm homemade bread and butter to start us off, then a set lunch menu which was pretty good value for money. My starter of smoked haddock on crushed potato was exquisite; my guest's pear, walnut and cheese salad was also tasty, and both dishes were beautifully presented. We both had the main course of chicken stuffed with mushroom pate: again, the dish was gorgeous to look at as well as delicious. The wine list is very well-chosen (all the wines are French, however), and pretty reasonably priced. In all, a lovely little gem of a place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!LauraDined on 11/10/2013The menu changes quite often so you can never get used to it. However each time I've been there - the food was amazing!Special Features:
- This was a surprise find aftertinkerdudeDined on 11/7/2013This was a surprise find after a visit to the museums in that neighborhood. We were served with a nice salad and fish for a EU 12.50 lunch special and we complemented it with half a bottle of Chablis 2009 Domaine Joseph Garnier that was truely an outstanding combination. The food was great at a value that is hard to beat.Special Features:
- A hidden gemscot1975Dined on 29/6/2013Fantastic little place tucked away in Clare Street. Great food, although no veggie main course option. Great service, the guys were attentive without being overbearing and looked after us very nicely. Would definitely recommend it and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was nice andkateDined on 25/6/2013The restaurant was nice and service nice and friendly, I do think the set menu deal was over priced though, it wasnt amazing
- Lovely little restauranthappyeaterDined on 6/6/2013A little off the beaten track but worth searching out. It's down a flight of stairs into a basement area, so not much to see from the street. Limited number of (very small!) tables, so probably need to book. Excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal/Super ServiceStephenMcCDined on 24/5/2013Highly recommend this small bistro for good, simple, French food at a good price for Dublin. This together with a really friendly and unpretentious service and this cellar bistro is highly recommended. This is our third visit as tourists and we have never been let down.Special Features:
- Great findDiningMavensDined on 24/5/2013This restaurant was a great find. Small but decent wine list with some good values. It's a small place and was a little difficult to find but the food and service were both excellent. We had the filet and salmon. Both were perfectly prepared and well presented and, of course, tasted very good. I would certainly dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Choose for French cuisine in DublinAyJayVIPDined on 23/5/2013Whenever I visit Dublin I try to eat at The Blackboard Bistro and I recommend it to friends and colleages. The food is consistently good. My last visit was no exception. I had rib eye steak which I would not normally do because I had it the night before at the Ely Gastro Wine Bar. However, the fish was salmon and I'm not a big salmon fan. The other meat was pork belly and that's too fatty for me. It was interesting to be able to make a direct comparison. The meat was a much better cut, leaner and it was cooked to perfection. No contest!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parisian style little bistroOliviaDined on 27/4/2013Very cosy bistro with a Parisian atmosphere and feel. Good food with quality products.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent 3 course meal deal.StephenMcCDined on 30/3/2013Excellent 3 course meal deal. Very good value for the standard of cooking, a true Fench bistro as you would find in Paris. Service very friendly and attentive. Great way for family of four to celebrate Ukster beating Lenister! #SUFTUMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whenever I'm in Dublin I tryAyJayVIPDined on 6/3/2013Whenever I'm in Dublin I try and visit the Blackboard Bistro. French cuisine at an affordable price is hard to find in Dublin. As ever I was rewarded with a most enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food beautifully presenteIanBDined on 2/3/2013This little bistro serves excellent food from a limited menu. Presentation is beautiful Service was friendly and efficient. Only slight downside is the ambience which is quite minimilistic and simple. Would certainly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little bistroFoodForThoughtDined on 14/2/2013I could not believe my luck when my wife and I stumbled upon this gem through Toptable, the reviews it already had received made our decision to book it easy. You can clearly tell that the owners love their trade, it shows in their food, service and general ambience. Value for money is exceptional, where else in Dublin could you find a 3 course menu for €35.00 per person of this quality? We started with the mushroom risotto and seared tuna folowed by their pork belly and rib eye steak, all dishes were extremely well prepared, seasoned and enjoyed. The wine recommendations were really good and need not be expensive. We decided against having dessert as we had eaten plenty. Next time in Dublin I will definitely return, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food friendly servicehooverDined on 13/2/2013Excellent food with some interesting twists, friendly service, a reasonably priced wine list. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food with flairBirthdayboyDined on 9/2/2013A first time visit after viewing reviews didn't disappoint. A gem of a restaurant. From the friendly staff who couldn't do enough for you to the food which any Michelin starred restaurant would have a hard time competing with, we had a wonderful evening. The food was just complete with different tastes and textures. Fabulous chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blackboard Bistro DublinLateflightfromDublinDined on 7/2/2013Late flight back from Dublin and this restaurant a much better option for spending the evening than hanging around at the airport. Food (from a short but interesting menu) and wine very good with outstanding service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic service and foodhobbsyaDined on 31/1/2013The service was exceptional, a lot of care taken to ensure that everything was to our liking. The food tasted great and was presented beautifully. We used a special offer which meant that the dinner was outstanding value for money - I will definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- Cosy restaraunt with good foodIainDined on 29/1/2013An enjoyable meal on a cold wet Tuesday night in January! This was our second visit to the Blackboard and we enjoy the menu choices and that these vary to take advantage of good fresh produce. Close to the centre but lightly off the beaton track, well worth a visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise Little basement restaurantkatieDined on 23/1/2013Surprise Little basement restaurant turned out to be a hidden gem with dekicious food very artistically presented. Made to feel very welcome and though we were on an early bird were not rushed to finish . A most pleasant experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could not recommend this restaurantPaulDined on 12/1/2013Could not recommend this restaurant more, great food with amazing value. Went here for a birthday dinner and was perfect for the occasion, quiet enough for a conversation, with very friendly staff. Will be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New YearnewyearDined on 31/12/2012Lovely small restaurant where our party of 6 had a wonderful New Year meal. Food was excellent and our children (12 and 9) also really enjoyed it. Though there were only very few children there - so no worries about too many kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 21/12/2012I visited the Blackboard Bistro with six friends last Friday night. It was our first time eating there and we were all delighted with the food, service and ambience. Everything on the menu sounded delicious but I went for the butternut squash risotto to start which was mouthwatering and the cod for main course which was also really tasty. For dessert we all went for a combination of passion fruit sorbet or chocolate mousse. Both were amazing but in particular I loved the tanginess of the sorbet. Overall, we had a wonderful dining experience which I would highly recommend. The set menu is great value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- second visit even betternuboyDined on 8/12/2012Booked for post theatre (9.30) so ordered main course only. None the less, I was given (free) a welcome little mini-starter (soup) while my steak was cooking. The steak was excellent, pink as I wanted, tender and juicy. Finished with fine ice-cream. They stock a good bourgogne rouge at a price reasonable by restaurant standards, and offer excellent home-made brown bread. Jolly company, still going strong when I left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy eveningnuboyDined on 7/12/2012Hiding in a jolly basement, this little bistro provides some pleasant surprises. I enjoyed an excellent celeriac soup, followed by a very tasty confit of duck leg. I should say the duck was perhaps a little too crisp on the outside. Service was very good and prompt. Food is cooked to order, so do allow time for that. The atmosphere was friendly and the clientele (maybe from nearby Trinity College) sometimes willing to chat. Good wines - all French - including several by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small menu but good foodSwissMissDined on 20/11/2012There were 4 or 5 starters and 4/5 mains (no veggie option) but all 4 of us had a really well made and tasty food. Two of us had tiramisu which was not good. I couldn't finish mine which was drowning in coffee. We were visitors to Dublin and not sure how busy it is in the week normally but the restaurant was very quiet - just two other diners in there. It is a cozy place and I imagine would have more ambiance with a few more people.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was tempted by the fishAyJayVIPDined on 14/11/2012I was tempted by the fish option but whenever I recommend this restaurant to others I say if duck is on the menu, tale it as Pierre is a wizard with duck. So, I followed my own advice and was not disappointed. The waitress was the same girl as last time. Although I have given three stars both this time and last, the last time was really 2.5 whereas this time she was settling in to the role and managed the timing of the meal better as well as interacting more with the guest (me). If you like French cuisine and are in Dublin then don't miss the Blackboard Bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- End of the Dream TeamAyJayVIPDined on 18/10/2012I'm a bit of a regular at the Blackboard Bistro and so you know I like it. I miss Patrick. The food is as good as ever but some of the charm has been lost with new, less experienced waiting staff. It makes me realise what a great team they were.Special Features:
- Dinner reviewcladaghDined on 21/9/2012We had a family dinner the night before a wedding. Service and food were both excellent - would definitely recommend..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patrick est alléAyJayVIPDined on 12/9/2012I have been eating in the Blackboard Bistro for a few years and was always given a warm welcome by Patrick. It was a shock to the system to be greeted by a stranger and find him no longer there as he was so closely associated in my mind with the restaurant. Happily the chef remains the same and the food is as good as ever. I will repeat a longstanding recommendation, if there is duck on the menu, go for it.Special Features: