The Brasserie at The Cumberland
The Cumberland Hotel
Great Cumberland Place
London, W1H 7DLNeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
The Brasserie at The Cumberland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.guoman.com/cumberlandbrasserie
- Phone: 020 7616 5930x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm – 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 6:00pm – 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, British
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from The Brasserie at The Cumberland
Defined by its relaxed, informal setting, The Brasserie serves a menu of European classics with a distinctly British twist.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Brasserie at The Cumberland reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since 4 June 2014
brunch (4)business meals (3)romance (3)fit for foodies (3)special occasions (3)group bookings (3)outstanding value (3)sunday lunch (3)pre/post theatre (3)good vegetarian options (2)child friendly (1)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- Sunday 24/8/14EddieDined on 24/8/2014Food was cold and soggy, roast potatoes were wet and Yorkshire pudding was tough. Variety was very poor and starters were very small. Would not return, a poor Sunday lunch.Special Features:
- Cumberland BrasseriedjmuVIPDined on 1/4/2014I needed a restaurant close to marble Arch for a business lunch for three and couldnt have got much closer than the Cumberland, its almost part of the Underground station. The Brasserie is just off the cavernous & imposing reception area and .there were plenty of people sitting having teas & coffees. However, the restaurant was empty and remained so during our lunch (13.00 - 14.30). Waiters were very attentive, food was reasonable quality and well presented, but nothing out of the ordinary. We certainly had our privacy but there was little atmosphere. In summary, it was a useful venue but lacks customers on a lunchtime!Special Features:
- Mother's Day lunchRGachDined on 30/3/2014I took my mother, aunty and grandma here for a Mother's day carvery lunch. I have dined here before for dinner, but this time was different. There was along queue to eat, when we finally got to the front of the line, only meat was available. We had to wait 10 minutes for vegetables and potatoes; by the time it arrived our meat was freezing. We did have the option to collect more meat; but yet again another queue. When we finally went for dessert most had gone and we were told they would not be stocking up. To be fair a waiter did bring out 4 eclairs from the kitchen to say sorry. We were all rather disappointed. Especially as the previous occasions I've dined here, the service and food has been wonderful;.
- Drop in standardspipparDined on 16/3/2014The current carvery is in no way as good as the Best Bloody Mary Sunday lunch which used to be on offer at the Cumberland. The selection now is more limited,more expensive and not as good. In fact I asked a waitress why it had changed to the present system,she said that customers had asked for a carvery. My lamb was very thickly sliced,too pink for my liking and very tough,though the vegetable accompaniments,particularly the cauliflower cheese,were delicious. Starters were brought to the table by the waiter and desserts on a trolley. All in all,the experience was a bit disappointing and I would not return unless the previous offer was reinstated.Special Features:
- Relaxed feel, good foodshaolin84Dined on 31/1/2014Great value meal, two courses for £19! I had a starter of chicken and duck liver parfait, which came with a nice little salad and chutney, but only one piece of crostini which isn't enough really and was a bit too hard for my personal liking. But the free complimentary bread made up for that, which is very nice. Had the T-Bone of pork for my main, which was succulent and very tasty, chips were nice too. Girlfriend enjoyed her starter of calamari, but her main of prawn and salmon risotto was only luke warm when it arrived at the table, we were both too stuffed to have dessert. The waiter seemed to struggle to understand a couple of questions i asked, other than a couple of little things it was very nice indeed, we will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly staffBonappetitDined on 25/1/2014Pleasant food and very friendly helpful staff. Restaurant lighting quite dim but we were able to get a table near the kitchen which was brighter. Able to linger without being hurried along. Special menu well priced with a nice house wine and we would definately go again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReunionKiwiDined on 12/1/2014A family member passing through London suggested a meet, possibly a meal, and the Brasserie fitted the bill. Close to their hotel, within an easy walk of public transport, and a first for all eight members of the party. From the moment we entered the Restaurant to being seated at the table, the tone had been set for the evening. The wines selected were first class, my food cooked to perfection and the staff only added to the ambience of the situation. A night to remember.Special Features:
- New Year's EvefussyfoodieDined on 31/12/2013Having eaten at the brasserie before and enjoyed it - I was pleased to find availability on NYE. We ate early evening (7:30) but there was still a good number of diners and a good atmosphere. The food was very good, the service ok and it came to £45 a head for 2 courses and drinks (including cocktails) so pretty good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The venue, although very clinicalbarbie1Dined on 17/11/2013The venue, although very clinical and without any atmosphere suited our purpose. We were meeting a friend who was going away for a few months and this is an ideal venue. We were able to talk and catch up on all our news and to say goodbye without any interference or noise.The food was good although it was not replaced (probably because there were no further customers after us). The free flowing bloody mary's were excellent and it was great value especially with our discount.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 28 reviews are from the The Brasserie at The Cumberland reviews archive.
- trex saystrexVIPDined on 5/9/2013Great value and efficient service. Ladies, there are lots of business men eating lunch here. This is where single ladies should dine.Special Features:
- Great Location and Value for moneyEastmeetsWestVIPDined on 4/8/2013We went to the Brasserie for dinner. The location of this restaurant is very convenient and with a 25% off food, it is value for money. The food and presentation was great. I loved their desserts particularly the souflle. Will definitely come back for this. The restaurant on a Sunday night is very quite. So it is great to catch up with friends. However, the decoration of this restaurant though modern is very corporate. Nothing to Wow about. The only complaint that I would have was: although the restaurant was empty, they decided to put us in a corner of the dinning room where we are hidden by pillars and waiters/waitresses cannot see us. Strange allocation. Service is consistent but nothing to wow about.Special Features:
- Very NiceRedgiboDined on 29/7/2013When I went the food was excellent. The service was a little clipped and had to ask for things twice on occasion which was a shame. Otherwise a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cumberland feedbackAlisonessexDined on 23/7/2013The food and service were good. The only things that I didn't like so much were the lighting and ambiance - the area is very dark and as part of the foyer it's not really what you might call cozy. It was good for a business group but not somewhere you would go for a romantic meal or with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food, small portionsDan777Dined on 18/7/2013Went here for a business lunch. The lunch menu is very limited, only 3 options. Food tasted nice but not enough of it. It was average, not bad but not amazing.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodJud2dineDined on 13/7/2013I would to thank the hotel for a beautiful meal which we had for my 50th birthday. So helpful the staff and very friendly Excellent food and atmosphere so easy to make a booking and very good on helping us to arrange a later time so we could spend more time in the city sightseeing I have told many friends & family to come and choose your hotel from excellent service rooms & foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The highlgith of our lunchalex17aprilDined on 12/7/2013The highlgith of our lunch was the waitress who served us. Everythign esle needs to be improved.Special Features:
- W1 Brasserie @ The CumberlandLLSpiceVIPDined on 23/5/2013Booked in here for an early, quick dinner catching up with a friend. Just got in before two huge groups. Food was generally good, lamb main course was particularly tasty, as was my friend's mushroom papardelle. Handy for work so bound to visit again!Special Features:
- Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!greengirlDined on 6/5/2013Everything was perfect, very good service, high quality of food, the only bad thing was the you only had 3 choices for main dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okpretheatredinerDined on 17/4/2013I booked the special offer for a pre-thetre dinner for two. The restaraunt area looked very nice, if somewhat quiet. However I found the meal portion sizes to be small, and we had to order potato and veg sides to get some kind of decent meal size - & I'm not a big eater. The mains were acceptable, and the apple crumble dessert was very nice. Ok value with the offer I guess.Special Features:
- Very good lunch experiencecaz13Dined on 25/3/2013Good food choice and value on a pre-set menu. Waiting staff were very attentive. Great location for a special lunch treat if shopping in the West End Would visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- motorway service stations do bettercandahoveDined on 24/3/2013No baby changing facilities for fathers to use! i was bounced around people and ended up having to change him on a sofa in a public area! later i was given a disabled toilet with carpet (?!?) and had to change my son (and this change was really unpleasant) on the floor. The concierge, reception desk, customer relations desk and the duty manager were all useless at best and rude at worst. I asked the duty manager to get the general manager to contact me about when they would be sorting the lack of baby changing facilities for fathers out, left my email and have heard nothing after 3 days. Other diners were being shouted at by waiting staff and the restaurant manager had to drag them away before it got physical.
- Brilliant food & serviceFinedineDined on 3/3/2013i went with my two daughters, one of them turned 21 on the day we went for a celebratory dinner. We arrived very early about an hour early as we had just missed ashow we were supposed to see. The ladies accomodated us immediately, took our coats and made us very comfortable. Plugged in my daughter charger. they were patient when we ordered our meal and it was nice, hot food and good quality, steak cooked to perfection, melting in the mouth!!!. We were quite full after the main and decided to share a dessert. My daughter was given a dessert for free with a candle and choclate written Happy Birthday on the plate. Overall a lovely and relaxing eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food and atmospheredadaDined on 23/2/2013We had a booking for 2 on a Friday evening at 7.30pm. It was surprisingly empty, but by 8.30 the whole place was full. Food was lovely, although the portion was small. But then that means you will have enough appetite to have all 3 courses! :P Between my brother and I we had 4 desserts because the staff mixed up our order so they let us keep the wrong order as well as our real desserts. I must say the chocolate pot and pineapple upside down cake was a treat!! The ice cream/sobert selection was also well thought through. Not the typical flavours like vanilla, choco, strawberries. I will definitely go again but probably with discount.Special Features:
- Valentines specialColinDined on 14/2/2013Booked the 4 course £39 deal. Food was really good as was the service. I would recommend the Brasserie for an evening meal in nice surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed...sunshine9Dined on 11/2/2013There were only a couple of tables occupied when we arrived... and it is quite a dark and gloomy decor for a daytime meal but possibly nicer for dinner... the service was very slow (but friendly), despite there being more waiters than diners... the fixed price menu was not given to us upfront, I had to ask for it... one of the starters was not available, but instead of telling us, we were told 10 minutes after we ordered... the papardelle with mushrooms was very good but everything else was disappointing... I went there with a business contact who was really not impressed either! Reviews for dinner were good so I wanted to try it but don't go for lunch!
- Amazing just amazingBlackhorseDined on 14/1/2013To be honest im not one for dining in nicer resteraunts, but this time work was footing the bill. So why not! All I can say is the service was really friendly, food was devine, probably the best ive ever had! Looking back for that little bit extra you get your monies worth! =)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good dealshallyDined on 30/12/2012We had 2 mains and a glass of prosecco f for under £20. Despite the service charge it was still very good value. The place was really empty surprisingly but the ambience was lovely and the waiters all had service with a friendly smile. The portions were huge and we found the food of high standard. Fantastic hotel lobby with modernistic and arty features so you almost felt you were at the Saatchi gallery!Special Features:
- ChristmasMarcandJosianeDined on 25/12/2012excellent dinner on 25th December, with 3 teenagers very good service, chic atmosphere, good and well presented dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but a bit pricey.dizzy73VIPDined on 23/12/2012Food was good - especially the modified Sunday roast. A bit pricey for what you get. service was good.Special Features:
- The top table menu was limitedCarolinemDined on 18/12/2012The top table menu was limited and disappointing so we ordered from the a la carte menu which was better. The hotel has a transitory feel to it so it lacked atmosphere but the service was positive.
- Hmmm that was goodAmosMuggDined on 17/12/2012Great two course lunch of superb quality and vast quantity. Popped in for lunch with a vegetarian colleague as it's close to work. £15 for a two course lunch is great value in the Marble Arch area. We opted for the starter main combo. My colleague's chestnut and parsnip soup was a top quality winter warmer. My terrine of pork equally enjoyable. Warm fresh bread making both better. The veggie main of many mushrooms and pasta garnered a big smile from my companion. My choice of calves liver was a good one - perfectly grilled with an intense jus and creamed mash it was huge. It was like an edition TV channel Dave's of Man Vs Food. Two eight inch by 1/2" slices that must have cost the cover price to buy in. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatdizzy73VIPDined on 25/11/2012Great value and good servvice. Would definitely reccomend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gr8 foodGr8foodDined on 23/11/2012Food and service were excellent, will definitely Be returning again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Brasserie at The CumberlandFullinLondonDined on 22/11/2012Having dined here in the evening I was intrigued to find out how the atmosphere was during the day, as it's stunning at night. For a business lunch it was perfect as it's quiet and the tables are enough of a distance apart to allow for discrete conversations. The food was delicious and beautifully presented and the service was fairly decent.Special Features:
- pre-cinema at the Cumberlandout2lunchDined on 15/11/2012good quality food and attentive but unobtrusive service. totally unecessary tinny music and backgroud noise from the bar detracted from the ambience somewhat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value on dealdrakDined on 10/11/2012Had the 2 courses for £15 lunch deal which was good value. Lovely hotel and surroundings. Food was nice but both main dishes were too salty, good food but not amazing, would not want to pay full price for it. Perhaps dinner menu is better? Nonetheless had a nice relaxing lunch in lovely surroundingsSpecial Features:
- Good standard of servicechrisDined on 20/10/2012There is a quite relaxed atmosphere in this brasserie. We opted for a la carte menu. we both had salt and pepper squid with a dipping sauce and for mains my companion had the duck and I had the bavette steak (rare). The steak was exceptionally tender and tasty. The duck was also excellent. Service was discreet but attentive. Overall a very enjoyable eveningSpecial Features: