The Brasserie on St John Street
360 - 362 St. John Street
London, EC1V 4NRNeighbourhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
The Brasserie on St John Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.the-brasserie.com/
- Phone: 02078371199
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, British
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Deniz Aydin 02078371199
A word from The Brasserie on St John Street
At the Brasserie on St.John Street, we are proud to be the part of the local community and provide high quality food which uses the best of fresh and seasonal produce. By doing so we aim to deliver rewarding and hearty food to our guests. Our menu changes frequently depending on the season and availability of fresh local ingredients. We are positioned close to Saddlers Wells, making it and ideal choice to enjoy a pre-theater lunch or dinner. Similarly close to Angel and its antique market and shopping center. Whatever occasion you are looking to hold, an intimate dinner with friends,a canape reception to entertain client, an engagement celebration or just champagne reception; The Brasserie provides the perfect setting in their choice of private dinning area that opens up to our landscaped back garden.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Brasserie on St John Street reviews from OpenTable diners
- lovely food and sensible pricesanneVIPDined on 14/6/2013Prices were sensible for the area even before the TT 30% discount. Both my starter (gravlax) and main (fish) were excellent. We were there on a Friday night and it wasn't that busy - a pity (for them), as its also a lovely building with pretty outlook over rear courtyard garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Sadlers WellsIanCDined on 11/6/2013A good location for Sadlers Wells, it is what it says, a brasserie. Good menu and wine list and attentive staff and good value for money. Arrive early as it tend to become busy on a popular night.,Special Features:
- The Brasserie on St John's StreetAriesVIPDined on 25/5/2013Conveniently opposite Sadlers Wells. Lovely modern decor with interesting paintings on the walls. Sat near the picture windows overlooking the courtyard garden. Very pleasant. The food was really good and well presented and was good value even without the 30% discount. Wines were reasonably priced. Service was great and they really made us feel welcome. Will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro close to Sadlers WellLizzieJDined on 24/5/2013The restaurant is over several levels with a glass wall overlooking gardens so light and airy. Rating overall and service would have been four stars, but our main course came out of the kitchen before we'd finished starters. By the time we were ready the food was still good but a little dry. The menu has lots of interesting dishes and I'd certainly go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food spoilt by dreadful musicLullyDined on 24/5/2013I've recommended this place for pre-post theatre as it is really, really handy for Sadler's Wells. That said, it was almost empty at 9pm on a Friday night. The food's ok - nothing sparkling but perfectly acceptable. Service was neither good nor bad - dis-interested if anything. But what wrecked it for us, and meant that we didn't stick around for dessert or coffee, was the blaring clubby music, almost too loud to talk comfortably and totally NOT what you want to listen to when you're eating dinner. Most of the restaurants nearby were busy, which I guess says it all.Special Features:
- Great for Sadlers WellsIanCDined on 24/5/2013A good place for pre-theatre meal; special menu and fast service make it an easy option for Sadlers WellsSpecial Features:
- Great place, good serviceLikestotrynewplacesDined on 23/5/2013Great place, good service and lovely food. Good for post theatre (Sadler's Wells).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chilling out!jbhoppyDined on 21/5/2013Some tasty food spoiled by being served on cold plates! What a pity! Very convenient for Sadlers Wells so I may re-visit, but in future will request a hot plate when giving the order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for dinner beforeclaretDined on 21/5/2013Perfect for dinner before a show at Sadlers Wells which you can almost see from the restaurant. Staff are aware of time constraints and get everything to you without a rush. Food is good value and very pleasant. I can particularly recommend the risotto primavera (not called that but similar) they had on last week. I have been before and would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is the second time ieffortlessDined on 20/5/2013This is the second time i have eaten here and the food is outstanding, be it meat or fish. With carefully cooked vegetables too which you don't always get even in the better restaurants. They missed getting five stars because when we went (Monday pre-theatre) they were clearly understaffed and we had to wait 45 minutes before our food arrived.Special Features:
- Stylish and friendlyluncherDined on 18/5/2013This is a very nicely designed space with lots of natural light. After the pre theatre rush to Sadlers Wells it is good place to talk over a leisurely dinner. Dishes were generally very well cooked with just a few flaws. Service efficient and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre dining experienceFickledinerDined on 18/5/2013Having chosen the restaurant due to its proximity to Sadlers Wells I have to say it was a great find! The food and service were very good. Food tasted and looked superb and the service was swift and courteous. We sat downstairs and it can feel a little bit like you are hidden away although perhaps over by the windows would have been better as would upstairs. If in this part of London again, I'd definitely eat here again and would recommend a visit to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Show FansGreedyGutsDined on 18/5/2013This is a restaurant I have used on a number of occasions prior to going to the theatre (usually Sadlers Wells). I have enjoyed every meal whether it be Fish or Meat based. Portion size is good with a good range of seasonal vegetables offered.. The house wine is always very good. The Desserts are limited but home made and delicious. If you mention this is a pre-show meal, they make sure you are out in plenty of time. I recommend you allow an hour and a half at least in order to enjoy your food. I have also taken advantage of the two course specials and the recent 30% discount on the a la carte menu. Both these improve the level of value for money. It is essential to book to avoid disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super food - outstanding serviceRACHELDined on 16/5/2013Super food - outstanding service - great value 10 out of 10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for pre/post theatreFoodloverDined on 16/5/2013My friend and I had fish dishes = both of which were excellent. Service was extremely quick but friendly. Given location, I think that this restaurant is ideal for dining before of after visiting Sadler's Wells.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Brasseerie on St JohnscecartVIPDined on 15/5/2013The Brasserie as a very popular venue for Saddlers Wells attendees. A 2 course set pre-theatre meal is about £16 and very good value for London. It is noisy however making private conversation at peak times difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We liked it very much. FriendlyangellDined on 12/5/2013We liked it very much. Friendly efficient service and nice surroundings. Ipersonally I would have liked more vegetarian optio ns . It must be even better in the summer on a nice daySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was plain, In generalMagda03Dined on 10/5/2013Food was plain, In general it was not seasoned. I waited approximately 45 min for the food
- Lovely Sunday LunchStokiegirlDined on 28/4/2013Had a lovely lunch with my Mum and sister. Elegant food. Very sweet attentive waiter. Jazz burbled in the background but it was low enough for conversation to flow. The fish main dishes were especially well cooked.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!ManuelDined on 26/4/2013We decided to try The Brasserie and we were very impressed overall. Our group sampled a number different items from the menu and everything was excellent! Fresh and good quality ingredients beautifully cooked. Definititely a favorite place for gourmets! The decoration and atmosphere are very good, as well as the service. Last but not least, the prices are surprisingly affordable. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodRupsterDined on 25/4/2013Went to the Brasserie on St John's once again for a pre-show meal (Sadler's Wells). Love the food here. It's gorgeous and very well presented. There is no atmosphere (at best there were three other tables) to speak off, but that's not there reason to go early evening. If you're on for a special evening out at Sadler's Wells then this is the place to dine for a quick and tasty meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for pre-theatre mealIanCDined on 20/4/2013Near to Sadlers Wells, this is great for pre-theatre meals with a good menu and wine selection. Attentive staff and a great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Brilliant BrasserieMrParsleyDined on 18/4/2013Last Thursday I took a party of 14 for pre Sadlers Wells evening performance of Romeo and Juliet. My group contained the mum and dad of Romeo and their friends who had come from South Carolina for the occasion. It was essential that everything worked like clockwork and it did. On the day I looked on Trip Advisor to check that all the reviews were still good and there was one really poor one so I was worried. I need not have been. The food was terrific - and we were a foodie group - beautifully presented and delicious flavors and great ingredients - there was one haddock dish that I'd go back for again! Because we were 14 we were in the downstairs area which is a bit tucked away so the service was perhaps not as good as upstairs.Special Features:
- Good value pre-theatre menu,PinkbagDined on 18/4/2013Good value pre-theatre menu, with good range of choices. Well used to quick and efficient service and very well placed for Sadler's WellsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No disabled bathroom facilities.gastronautVIPDined on 13/4/2013Disappointingly, the disabled toilet was not available alledgedly due to the scaffolding outside! Lower ground toilets were difficult as stairs were not straightforward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pre Sadler's Wells supperfoodieDined on 5/4/2013Good food and excellent pre theatre menu. Good valueSpecial Features:
- I thought the food was averageluvfoodDined on 29/3/2013I thought the food was average at best - I would not return.
- Fantastic food an excellent serviceRupsterDined on 21/3/2013Booked for a pre-theatre show at Sadlers Wells. The restaurant is very well located. All other diners were clearly doing the same, so the ambience is a little 'rushed' but accordingly the service was excellent and very prompt. Will be booking again as this is a very handy eatery for nights out to Sadlers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great valueCheeseLoverVIPDined on 16/3/2013We had such a wonderful meal here. Beautiful, fat, tasty scallops, lovely duck and a good-sized, well-selected cheeseboard. My other half had a goats' cheese salad with beetroot, pear and walnut and a massive beer-battered fish and chips. Great service, good value. Will definitely come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local BrasserieKayceeDined on 16/3/2013The Brsserie on St John Street is what I would class as a good local brasserie. The food was beautifully cooked, huge juicy rib-eye, bernaise and hand made chips, poached haddock with hollaindaise on crushed new potatoes all typical brasserie fare. My only negative point was that the style of furniture reminded me of a hospital canteen. Hard, uncomfortable molded wooden chairs and wipe clean tables. We sat in upstairs section and I felt the service was a bit slow,. They did not venture into this area except to deliver food etc. With the 30%TT discount is was extremely good value. I would go back but probably for post or pre theatre as I felt it was not somewhere to sit and linger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ideal for pre theatretrickcyclistDined on 15/3/2013We were late due to train trouble and phoned ahead - no problems and when we arrived with v little time before the show, the staff ensured we were promptly sorted out. Pre theatre menu v good and excellent value for money. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great venuegrantmaraisDined on 13/3/2013This was the second time we'd eaten here. The food is consistently excellent and all in our party of 5 thought the food was great. The service wasn't as good as it had been previously - we felt sort of forgotten and kept on having to look for our waiter even though the restaurant was very quiet. The 30% discount through Toptable was an unexpected bonus. Overall we had a great meal and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Worth a visitJW101Dined on 12/3/2013Good post-theatre choice. Despite reviews stating good vegetarian options, there was only once choice for each course and fairly disappointingly dull / standard vegetarian dishes. However, the chef was able to cook up a bespoke vegetarian pasta dish which was delicious. Slightly unfortunate that they didn't have one of the courses and bottle of wine we wanted but the house manager was apologetic and matched priced a more expensive bottle. Nice place and would certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the BallethmmmDined on 11/3/2013Great place to meet and eat before gong to the theatre. Food was tasty and service fine. Will definitely go back especially when the outdoor seating area opens up in the spring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bit of a hidden treasure withHCONDined on 10/3/2013Bit of a hidden treasure with the big windows and sight of scenery outside the back. Nice to take a left out of Angel station and find something new. Service was outstanding!Special Features:
- I got the impression theyDandADined on 9/3/2013I got the impression they weren't expecting me and my 5 friends, however very quickly created a sitting arrangement for us. All good and we had a pleasant meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid French FoodIslingtonDined on 8/3/2013Good but not great French food. Beautiful outlook to the back garden from the rear upper dining area. Attentive Service. A reliable pre-theatre choice for Sadlers Wells.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visitfoodieDined on 23/2/2013Great choice for pre theatre dinner as the service is good, food and choice excellent and very good and reasonable wine list. The duck pate was delicious as was the duck breast. I usually eat here before visits to Sadler's Wells and am never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good food and serviceEB00Dined on 22/2/2013Enjoyed dinner here for 5. Excellent food and wine. Not the cheapest place in Angel, but always a reliable option.
- Amazing as alwaysTODDDined on 20/2/2013Lovely setting. Polite service and very good food. All the ingredients were there for a perfect night out. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.