The Broad Chare
25 Broad Chare
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 3DQNeighborhood:
Newcastle Upon Tyne
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
The Broad Chare
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebroadchare.co.uk/
- Phone: 01912112144x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday 12:00pm to 2:30pm; Saturday and Sunday 12:00pm to 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday to Friday 5:30pm to 10:00pm; Saturday 4:00pm to 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Chris Eagle
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Broad Chare
We’re big on warmth, low on fussiness: stripped wood floors, high bar stools, painted brickwork and comfy leather banquettes. Sup your pint beside our polished-oak bar or tuck yourself away in the Snug behind the frosted glass partition. You can hear yourself talk, concentrate on the crossword or nod off quietly in the corner.Continued
Upstairs in the Dining Room, it’s all reassuringly simple with solid wood tables, sturdy schoolroom chairs and shiny brass coat-hooks.
Upstairs in the Dining Room, it’s all reassuringly simple with solid wood tables, sturdy schoolroom chairs and shiny brass coat-hooks.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Broad Chare - Best restaurants in Newcastle Upon Tyne ›
The Broad Chare reviews from OpenTable diners
253 reviews since 19 May 2014
fit for foodies (167)special occasions (134)business meals (98)sunday lunch (98)pre/post theatre (92)group bookings (77)romance (60)outstanding value (40)good vegetarian options (36)brunch (33)child friendly (24)afternoon tea (7)Show More
- Grest food, brusque serviceBbbbDined on 14/9/2014Food was pricey but extremely lovely, good portion size. Service wasn't amazing - fast but main server very snappy which was a shame as took the shine off the special occasion somewhat. Definitely are the automatic service charge for a large party something we begrudgedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back....again!!joroseDined on 12/9/2014We had a great birthday celebration meal. Lots of food choices but we love a selection of bar snacks to start. (Pigs ears are fab!) Steaks for main course we're cooked perfectly and deserts were yummy! The service was great and the atmosphere lively. A brilliant night. Definitely recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impromptu dinnerFoodie1712Dined on 9/9/2014Excellent food, with a good menu selection. Scotch eggs gorgeous! Bring back the treacle tart for dessert pleaseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best sunday luck in Newcastle!DarrenBVIPDined on 7/9/2014Why bother cooking when you can eat the most wonderful sunday lunch at the broadchare, fantastic roast beef, just pink and tender, superb mashed root veg, cabbage, honeyed carrots last week truly amazing, yorkshire pudding and horseradish just spot on! Start off with good choice of starters, traditional bar snacks, monkfish deep-fried so good, a glass of champagne, wine by the glass and the bottle both a good choice and draught lager & beer is a winner for the men. Do not waste time looking for a great lunch just eat here!Special Features:
- VikingDined on 7/9/2014We have eaten here a few times. Twice we have eaten really well prepaired suckling pig. Succulent!. The waiter is very friendly and remember us each time we og, which of course is also great. Good atmosphere!Special Features:
- Quality FoodMatt2014Dined on 6/9/2014The good is outstanding! I have been on a number of occasions and never been disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SarahMDined on 6/9/2014Great atmosphere and delicious food, we all really enjoyed our visit.Special Features:
- Nicjoss1Dined on 6/9/2014Fabulous meal after mini great north run! We opted for 7hour lamb. Delicious lamb, pots and veg! Excellent value for amount of food and quality.Special Features:
- Excellent meal!EntertainerDined on 4/9/2014Really enjoyed our meal which was served in a very friendly, efficient and relaxed manner. Great choice of dishes both simple and not so simple, menu and daily specials, starters and main courses. The desserts sounded lovely but we were too full to try one. The quality of food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Broad Chare - A great findBillfromthesouthDined on 2/9/2014This is the second time I've been to the Broad Chare in 2 weeks. Both times I had a special. Steak and kidney pudding first time and oxtail second. They were both excellent. The ambiance is fine; it doesn't try and be what it isn't. The staff are very friendly and the beer is perfectly kept. Overall it is a great experience and very good value for money. The first time I walked in off the street and was lucky to get a seat in the bar. Last time I booked on line. We wouldn't have got a space in the restaurant if I hadn't.Special Features:
- Great food, great priceRaymondDined on 31/8/2014I pre-booked the table through the online booking form, this was confirmed with a helpful reminder sent the day prior to dining at The Broad Chare. Upon arrival we were seated, talked through the specials board and had drink orders taken. We were recommend the Sunday lunch special which was beef. The service friendly and efficient and the food was delightful. I would recommend dining here and I will most definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFrankLVIPDined on 30/8/2014Once more, a superb experience. Everything about Broad Chare is excellent. A lovely table next to the window. We went for the steak for two people which was superb in every way. Service is always spot on and this occasion was no exception. Consistently top drawer.Special Features:
- Excellent MealTeddytheTerrierDined on 26/8/2014As usual when in Newcastle on business I make a beeline for this excellent resturant with its different selection of well presented dishes on offer and fine cask ales it is difficult to beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good beer and foodNickviewDined on 25/8/2014Had fine evening meal here with some excellent cask alesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunch, very good, go.jzneDined on 24/8/2014We went for sunday lunch. It was good and I would go again. I often have business lunches here and also use it for personal use in the evening. Good quality food and not too expensive. The staff are always really helpful and professonal. I did think the sunday lunch had been a little commercialised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 22/8/2014excellent meal, service was fantastic as was the choice of food. Probably my past dining experience to date in Newcastle and good value in terms of costSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodLovefood4twoDined on 21/8/2014Food was amazing, rump steak for two was outstanding value and cooked to perfection and came with a large bowl of chips, home made onion rings and a large dressed bowel of salad. The staff were very friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unpretentious yet still classy.Claret45Dined on 20/8/2014My party of 4 had an excellent evening at Broad Chare, good service and food administered by cheery, friendly staff. Food was served promptly and hot and the no-nonsense menu is a refreshing change. The restaurant is unpretentious whilst at the same time being classy and good. My only gripe is that it is quite expensive, a £125 bill which included only 1 bottle of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All ways good at the Broad ChareAACriticDined on 19/8/2014I have been a number of times to the Broad Chare. It is my restaurant/pub of choice if I am in Newcastle, with my wife or guests, and I am showing off the city. The Pub is good just for a drink, in my case proper beer and Pub snacks, or a Black Velvet before a meal in the restaurant. I enjoy lunch. Different Specials through the week, yesterday Braised Ox Tail, Thursday Steak and Kidney pudding all good. Menu changes regularly. Staff, attentive, knowledgeable, and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday night outAndymacDined on 16/8/2014Me and my partner thought we would try the Broad Chare after hearing good reviews. The bar downstairs served a good choice of ales and the food on the restaurant was great. One of the best meals out in newcastle I've had. The service was also very good, no waiting to be seen to and the the food delivered very quick and efficiently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generous & Delicious Portions!YorkieDined on 16/8/2014Went for our (grown up) daughters birthday and all 6 of us enjoyed our meal and the relaxed atmosphere. The portion sizes are very generous - so order wisely or skip lunch! Two couples got the "rump steak for 2" but couldn't manage half of it, as it was 1Kgsteak plus salad, chips and onion rings. Cooked as ordered (medium rare) and waiter kindly wrapped up what was left of the steak to take home. I will definitely order the crab on toast starter again.Special Features:
- Simply fantastic !j0anna72Dined on 16/8/2014I can't compliment The Broad Chare enough. The food, service and atmosphere are spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints64dknyDined on 10/8/2014Booked for Sunday lunch with family, as usual the restaurant was busy but it's not rushed. All the staff here are friendly and go the extra mile to make the whole dining experience very relaxed and welcoming. The Sunday Lunch was excellent, no skimping on the meat and it was cooked beautifully. Unfortunately we had no room for dessert. Look forward to coming back soon.Special Features:
- Steve AsteveADined on 9/8/2014Slightly disappointed in food on this occasion. Mackerel was quite bland with a few lettuce leaves and too many potatoes. A bit more imagination required.Special Features:
- Stunning Food!SimpaDined on 9/8/2014Have been wanting to visit this restaurant for a long time and I can certainly say I wasn't disappointed! The food was stunning; packed full of flavour and beautifully presented. The attentive staff catered to out every needs and were charming and attentive. The restaurant boasts a modern ambient surrounding whilst retaining the feel of a top gastro pub. I will certainly be returning in the very near futureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic lunchfoodie46Dined on 1/8/2014We went to Broad Chare for a rare but relaxed "lunch for two" without our little girl. It was just what we wanted; unobtrusive service, excellent and interesting choice and unstuffy for a lunch time. The gooseberry crumble was absolutely superb: gorgeous vanilla custard and buttery, crispy crumble. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous placeFoodieDined on 19/7/2014Really lovely tea time meal with my partner. Outstanding service from the staff they knew so much about the food and recommended some delicious food to us. We weren't disappointed when the food arrived. Definately come back again soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/7/2014Recommended by a friend this did not disappoint. Good traditional fare, delicious food, good portions, excellent choice of beers, friendly efficient service and value for money.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunch!Northernfoodie83Dined on 10/7/2014We had lunch at the broad chare following my graduation with with my parents and it was delicious. The service is great and there is always something tasty on the specials board. It's not the cheapest option but you get excellent value for the fresh cooked food you receive. We've been here a few times now and we'll keep coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!!Potsy1990Dined on 9/7/2014The food was amazing, we opted for the 7 hour roasted lamb shoulder to share which came with a large dish of dauphinois potatoes and veg. One of the tastiest meals I've ever had and we were even allowed to take the leftovers away. The food was well accompanied with a large selection of alcoholic drinks particularly in the beer/lager category. Would recommend this place to anyone!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food on a sunday afternoonpickymotherDined on 6/7/2014Wasn't sure what to expect with no details of the Sunday lunch offering on the website ... It was simply scrummy! Started with a range of bar snacks then straight into roast beef with all the trimmings, Yorkshire pudding was perfect & really good veg selection. Even got the thumbs up from a very picky mother who usually complains that Sunday lunch at home is always best - not this time! Thanks for a great new option for family gatherings - will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely more than a gastropub!RitaandellaDined on 4/7/2014Delicious food, relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff, would definitely go again. Decor nice but minimal, lighting a little bright and music lacking a little. We had a meal that was meant for 5 people and the 2 of us finished it no problem (and we are healthy eaters), so portion size was a little on the light side!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealTooneatersDined on 14/6/2014Went with friends on a Saturday night for the first time. Meal was lovely the food was excellent and great value. The waitress was lovely, attentive without being pushy. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Pub FoodYumMDined on 14/6/2014Good location just off quayside. Excellent range of draught and bottled beers. Superior pub style fare. We shared shoulder of lamb which is one of their signature dishes - very good - would recommend - advertised as for 5, but would easily feed 8-10 we were a party of hungry blokes with big appetites. Starters a little disappointing, didn't try puddings. Serving staff excellent, friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasuregramcfDined on 12/6/2014Another great experience at Broad Chare. Pre-dinner pint downstairs and then upstairs for a business dinner, which as usual, was more pleasure than business. Excellent service, food and wine. Cannot fault this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite gastro pubJonDDined on 10/6/2014Fantastic pub with an always changing specials menu. Try one of the sharing dishes or the daily specials from the menu. Tuesdays is braised oxtail which is just fantastic. Great wine list and great beers. Check this place outSpecial Features:
- Another top mealJonDDined on 3/6/2014Broad Chare is my favorite restaurant in Newcastle. The tuesday special of braised oxtail is sublime. Bar snacks outstanding. Will be back soon (next week probably)Special Features:
- StevoDined on 3/6/2014Always good honest food with a large selection of beers. Excellent service by the waiting staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First class!BigBazzaDined on 1/6/2014One of the best dining experiences in Newcastle, can't rate it highly enough. Food superb and staff exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HanGDined on 31/5/2014Great meal out for husband's birthday. Good place for meat lovers.Special Features: