The Broad Chare
25 Broad Chare
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 3DQNeighbourhood:
Newcastle Upon Tyne
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
The Broad Chare
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebroadchare.co.uk/
- Phone: 0191 211 2144
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday 12:00pm to 2:30pm; Saturday and Sunday 12:00pm to 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday to Friday 5:30pm to 10:00pm; Saturday 4:00pm to 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Chris Eagle
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Broad Chare
We’re big on warmth, low on fussiness: stripped wood floors, high bar stools, painted brickwork and comfy leather banquettes. Sup your pint beside our polished-oak bar or tuck yourself away in the Snug behind the frosted glass partition. You can hear yourself talk, concentrate on the crossword or nod off quietly in the corner.Continued
Upstairs in the Dining Room, it’s all reassuringly simple with solid wood tables, sturdy schoolroom chairs and shiny brass coat-hooks.
Upstairs in the Dining Room, it’s all reassuringly simple with solid wood tables, sturdy schoolroom chairs and shiny brass coat-hooks.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Broad Chare - Best restaurants in Newcastle Upon Tyne ›
The Broad Chare reviews from OpenTable diners
261 reviews since 29 November 2013
fit for foodies (173)special occasions (136)sunday lunch (110)business meals (94)pre/post theatre (88)group bookings (77)romance (58)outstanding value (43)good vegetarian options (38)brunch (34)child friendly (23)afternoon tea (7)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- chris4foodDined on 23/11/2014An excellent Sunday lunch. It's the second time of visiting and we were not disappointed. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely foodVeliDined on 22/11/2014A bit pricey, but the food and service was very good especially the fish dish. We went on a Saturday night and it was packed, there was a table with about 5 couples next to us and we could not hear what we were saying as they were so noisy. This is not the restaurant's fault but the tables are too close together so made it worse. Also a lot of the specials catered for more than 2 people so would be more suitable for groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious food great serviceAustinsdadDined on 22/11/2014We booked here given good reviews on trip advisor. We were not disappointed, the food was delicious, the service was spot on and the ambiance was good. Not cheap pub food, rather quality dinning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service.Masondebanne1Dined on 22/11/2014Excellent food. Quality ingredients cooked well, they allow the food to speak for its self. Well trained Friendly staff. Over all a great meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place for a quiet talk ...HonkmanDined on 21/11/2014... If you book an early dinner. An excellent choice of British and international beers and ales, including the legendary Jaipur (from Thornbridge) on tap. Writer's Block is especially recommended. Regarding food: good fresh oysters, the best I have ever had this side of La Manche. Traditional soup of smoked haddock was excellent (and served with fresh edible bread -- a great rarity in British restaurants). Rib eye steak was attentively done to order, but the cut was a bit fatty, perhaps the only blemish in otherwise excellent dinner. Efficient, friendly, and inobtrusive service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but soooooo noisyjustus2Dined on 20/11/2014We went as a couple for a birthday meal. The first table we were given meant that there would be staff passing by very close by us all evening serving other tables. We asked to be moved as we saw a potentially quieter table by the window but were told that was 'taken'. Although noone was there. We were offered another table tucked further back but were warned that it was near a group table.We moved. The group was extremely noisy - we had been warned. Once we had finished our food we took the rest of our wine to the bar downstairs. Broad Chare, despite having a great menu and great food is like so many restaurants these days. With wooden floors, painted bare brick walls and a low flat ceiling, the noise level is too much. I would go back again but be very specific about where I wanted to sit. Sadly, not the romantic evening we had plannedSpecial Features:
- great!JJWDDined on 15/11/2014I had the duck. It was crispy, tasty and a very generous portion with excellent sides of beetroot, lentils and the creamiest mash. My partner chose the liver, and loved it. When I was dithering over cheese our friendly waitress helpfully suggested having a bit of each, and the pickles were sweet, mild and a very nice addition. It's noisy, but that is because it is popular! And the tables are adequately spaced apart.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in NewcastleJonDDined on 11/11/2014Another amazing meal at the Broad Chare. The Tuesday special of Braised Oxtail is sensational. You have to try it. The specials board (always changing) has some great dishes as well. Nice ale from the bar downstairs. Amazing bar snacks. You could not ask for more!Special Features:
- 4th visit even better than beforeBillfromthesouthDined on 10/11/2014Broad Chare fits everything I want in an excellent food pub. Looks and feels traditional and hasn't been refurbished or decorated to impress. Yesterday I had probably the best sea bass I have ever had. Skin crisp and slightly salty, flesh soft and buttery. Came with small chunks of bacon, sweet and soft section of pumpkin, gently fried hazelnuts and cabbage, perfect buttered mash. Beers very well kept. Nice but non-descript pint of Bass (my fault, I chose it). Writer's Block went down much better. Friendly and helpful without being over the top. Can take a while to get the bill as they're busy - but I'm not in a hurry. It must rank amongst the best in England for doing exactly what it says it will. Need one this good in Sussex.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happy and fullFishfaceDined on 7/11/2014First time at the restaurant and what a great night. A cosy bar downstairs and a nice suprise upstairs in the restaurant . It was quite full so glad we booked in advance. Despite the number of people there service was very good and our waitress was friendly and helpful. The meal was excellent , starter , main course and p with a good selection of wines. Definitely be going back there.Special Features:
- A lovely find on the quaysideDAL146VIPDined on 7/11/2014We had a lovely meal with excellent service. The food was excellent quality. The starters were quirky and delicious - a nice change to the norm. We both had duck for main. The portion was generous, we swapped mash for chips with no fuss. Excellent beer selection too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The reviews were right.JBDT1Dined on 30/10/2014Read the reviews so booked a table for 6.30pm on Thursday, when we got there the place was buzzing. We just knew we were in for a good night as soon as we sat down. Great relaxed service, lovely beer (Writers Block). Food was really good. Kedgeree soup and Mutton curry for me Mushrooms and the burger for the Misses. The restaurant started to empty around 7.30pm but EVERY table was booked for 8ish. I saw at least 5 groups turned away as they hadn't booked so if we want a treat, book early. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looks deceivingrob2014000Dined on 29/10/2014The Broad Chare does not have upscale looks, but the food, service, and value are excellent. My wife and I have an excellent evening here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 24/10/2014It was really great food and another fantastic experience. I'll definitely be coming backSpecial Features:
- chris4foodDined on 19/10/2014A most enjoyable Sunday lunch. Food and service first class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Broad CharesteveADined on 18/10/2014One of the few places that offer food such as Kidneys and Heart.Special Features:
- Simply greatMarkandNorDined on 17/10/2014This restaurant never disappoints. The food is delicious. Our table of four just loved everything from pre dinner drinks all the way through to desserts. Great choice at the bar to satisfy any requirements. Our starters included haggis and fried duck egg on toast, local crab on toast, onion tart and a lovely fresh bacon and cheese salad. Three of the party opted for a beautiful and simple Dover sole with the most delicious potatoes. I opted for a very crispy duck leg that was so moist and tasty served on mash. For dessert we shared four different desserts and the variety suited us perfectly. The dark chocolate lover was purring and the fresh lemon posset with shortbread was my favourite. Service was friendly and efficient. Loved itSpecial Features:
- surprise mealstuffednhappyDined on 11/10/2014I booked the table as a surprise for my partners 40th birthday. The food was absolutely delicious and I couldn't fault the staff as nothing was too much effort. I would highly recommend the restaurant to anyone and I'll definitely be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AwesomeBeardedartistDined on 30/9/2014We booked over opentable last minute and had our booking confirmed pretty much within ten minutes. As usual the quality of the food was fabulous, you just cannot beat those crispy pigs ears and cauliflower fritters. The Oxtail was to die for and the mutton masala as good as ever. If you were to give any feedback, it would be minor. Have the staff face the restaurant while there. We tried to get someones attention for a good ten minutes to get a drink but eventually had to flag the server down. Saying that, once ordered they arrived quickly. A few smiles would also go a long way. Overall though they were pleasant and good natured. Will definitely be back again, and again, and again. :)Special Features:
- Take a hakeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 27/9/2014The hake with bacon and mushrooms was absolutely delicious (if quite salty) and the hot chocolate pudding was wonderful. The atmosphere and decor is super although it is quite a noisy place with little to absorb the sound and my friend was struggling to follow all the conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentEedubsDined on 18/9/2014My husband and I booked to eat here having seen the good reviews on Open Table and we were not disappointed. Everything was excellent and particularly the meal which was fresh, tasty and well presented. I had warm beets with goat's curd and hazlenuts as a starter and it was so good. The staff were friendly and attentive and they recommended the Yellow bus to get back into town! A great evening.Special Features:
- Excellent pub foodwendleDined on 17/9/2014A good & varied menu with lots of daily specials. The bar snacks make a good choice for starters & the 1kg char-grilled rumpsteak for 2 was excellent. Service was prompt, efficient & friendly & the prices very reasonable. We were celebrating a birthday & felt we'd made an excellent choice of restaurant. We''ll certainly go again.Special Features:
- My favorite gastro pubJonDDined on 16/9/2014Still loving the Broad Chare. Menu always changing. Food fantastic, great beer and wine list. Who could want moreSpecial Features:
- Grest food, brusque serviceBbbbDined on 14/9/2014Food was pricey but extremely lovely, good portion size. Service wasn't amazing - fast but main server very snappy which was a shame as took the shine off the special occasion somewhat. Definitely are the automatic service charge for a large party something we begrudgedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back againSusiefDined on 13/9/2014Thank you. Again. Another wonderful meal! Seasonal food done exceptionally well, the ham hock and bean salad was fresh crunchy and the dressing was sublime! I followed that with the crispy duck leg (which melted in your mouth) with roast beetroot and lentils. The beetroot and lentils were earthy with a tang of vinegar to cut through the richness, served with the creamiest mash.....my only criticism....too many lentils and mash, I felt terrible leaving any. The staff are always friendly and knowledgeable....when facing a dilemma over which main to get they always have a few suggestions and can explain any dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back....again!!joroseDined on 12/9/2014We had a great birthday celebration meal. Lots of food choices but we love a selection of bar snacks to start. (Pigs ears are fab!) Steaks for main course we're cooked perfectly and deserts were yummy! The service was great and the atmosphere lively. A brilliant night. Definitely recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impromptu dinnerFoodie1712Dined on 9/9/2014Excellent food, with a good menu selection. Scotch eggs gorgeous! Bring back the treacle tart for dessert pleaseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best sunday luck in Newcastle!DarrenBVIPDined on 7/9/2014Why bother cooking when you can eat the most wonderful sunday lunch at the broadchare, fantastic roast beef, just pink and tender, superb mashed root veg, cabbage, honeyed carrots last week truly amazing, yorkshire pudding and horseradish just spot on! Start off with good choice of starters, traditional bar snacks, monkfish deep-fried so good, a glass of champagne, wine by the glass and the bottle both a good choice and draught lager & beer is a winner for the men. Do not waste time looking for a great lunch just eat here!Special Features:
- VikingDined on 7/9/2014We have eaten here a few times. Twice we have eaten really well prepaired suckling pig. Succulent!. The waiter is very friendly and remember us each time we og, which of course is also great. Good atmosphere!Special Features:
- Quality FoodMatt2014Dined on 6/9/2014The good is outstanding! I have been on a number of occasions and never been disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SarahMDined on 6/9/2014Great atmosphere and delicious food, we all really enjoyed our visit.Special Features:
- Nicjoss1Dined on 6/9/2014Fabulous meal after mini great north run! We opted for 7hour lamb. Delicious lamb, pots and veg! Excellent value for amount of food and quality.Special Features:
- Excellent meal!EntertainerVIPDined on 4/9/2014Really enjoyed our meal which was served in a very friendly, efficient and relaxed manner. Great choice of dishes both simple and not so simple, menu and daily specials, starters and main courses. The desserts sounded lovely but we were too full to try one. The quality of food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Broad Chare - A great findBillfromthesouthDined on 2/9/2014This is the second time I've been to the Broad Chare in 2 weeks. Both times I had a special. Steak and kidney pudding first time and oxtail second. They were both excellent. The ambiance is fine; it doesn't try and be what it isn't. The staff are very friendly and the beer is perfectly kept. Overall it is a great experience and very good value for money. The first time I walked in off the street and was lucky to get a seat in the bar. Last time I booked on line. We wouldn't have got a space in the restaurant if I hadn't.Special Features:
- Great food, great priceRaymondDined on 31/8/2014I pre-booked the table through the online booking form, this was confirmed with a helpful reminder sent the day prior to dining at The Broad Chare. Upon arrival we were seated, talked through the specials board and had drink orders taken. We were recommend the Sunday lunch special which was beef. The service friendly and efficient and the food was delightful. I would recommend dining here and I will most definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFrankLVIPDined on 30/8/2014Once more, a superb experience. Everything about Broad Chare is excellent. A lovely table next to the window. We went for the steak for two people which was superb in every way. Service is always spot on and this occasion was no exception. Consistently top drawer.Special Features:
- Excellent MealTeddytheTerrierDined on 26/8/2014As usual when in Newcastle on business I make a beeline for this excellent resturant with its different selection of well presented dishes on offer and fine cask ales it is difficult to beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good beer and foodNickviewDined on 25/8/2014Had fine evening meal here with some excellent cask alesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunch, very good, go.jzneDined on 24/8/2014We went for sunday lunch. It was good and I would go again. I often have business lunches here and also use it for personal use in the evening. Good quality food and not too expensive. The staff are always really helpful and professonal. I did think the sunday lunch had been a little commercialised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 22/8/2014excellent meal, service was fantastic as was the choice of food. Probably my past dining experience to date in Newcastle and good value in terms of costSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.