The Broad Chare
25 Broad Chare
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 3DQNeighbourhood:
Newcastle Upon Tyne
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
The Broad Chare
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebroadchare.co.uk/
- Phone: 01912112144x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday 12:00pm to 2:30pm; Saturday and Sunday 12:00pm to 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday to Friday 5:30pm to 10:00pm; Saturday 4:00pm to 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Chris Eagle
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Broad Chare
We’re big on warmth, low on fussiness: stripped wood floors, high bar stools, painted brickwork and comfy leather banquettes. Sup your pint beside our polished-oak bar or tuck yourself away in the Snug behind the frosted glass partition. You can hear yourself talk, concentrate on the crossword or nod off quietly in the corner.Continued
Upstairs in the Dining Room, it’s all reassuringly simple with solid wood tables, sturdy schoolroom chairs and shiny brass coat-hooks.
Upstairs in the Dining Room, it’s all reassuringly simple with solid wood tables, sturdy schoolroom chairs and shiny brass coat-hooks.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Broad Chare - Best restaurants in Newcastle Upon Tyne ›
The Broad Chare reviews from OpenTable diners
255 reviews since 23 October 2013
fit for foodies (166)special occasions (136)sunday lunch (103)business meals (97)pre/post theatre (90)group bookings (78)romance (60)outstanding value (42)good vegetarian options (39)brunch (36)child friendly (24)afternoon tea (7)Show More
- chris4foodDined on 19/10/2014A most enjoyable Sunday lunch. Food and service first class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply greatMarkandNorDined on 17/10/2014This restaurant never disappoints. The food is delicious. Our table of four just loved everything from pre dinner drinks all the way through to desserts. Great choice at the bar to satisfy any requirements. Our starters included haggis and fried duck egg on toast, local crab on toast, onion tart and a lovely fresh bacon and cheese salad. Three of the party opted for a beautiful and simple Dover sole with the most delicious potatoes. I opted for a very crispy duck leg that was so moist and tasty served on mash. For dessert we shared four different desserts and the variety suited us perfectly. The dark chocolate lover was purring and the fresh lemon posset with shortbread was my favourite. Service was friendly and efficient. Loved itSpecial Features:
- surprise mealstuffednhappyDined on 11/10/2014I booked the table as a surprise for my partners 40th birthday. The food was absolutely delicious and I couldn't fault the staff as nothing was too much effort. I would highly recommend the restaurant to anyone and I'll definitely be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AwesomeBeardedartistDined on 30/9/2014We booked over opentable last minute and had our booking confirmed pretty much within ten minutes. As usual the quality of the food was fabulous, you just cannot beat those crispy pigs ears and cauliflower fritters. The Oxtail was to die for and the mutton masala as good as ever. If you were to give any feedback, it would be minor. Have the staff face the restaurant while there. We tried to get someones attention for a good ten minutes to get a drink but eventually had to flag the server down. Saying that, once ordered they arrived quickly. A few smiles would also go a long way. Overall though they were pleasant and good natured. Will definitely be back again, and again, and again. :)Special Features:
- Take a hakeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 27/9/2014The hake with bacon and mushrooms was absolutely delicious (if quite salty) and the hot chocolate pudding was wonderful. The atmosphere and decor is super although it is quite a noisy place with little to absorb the sound and my friend was struggling to follow all the conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentEedubsDined on 18/9/2014My husband and I booked to eat here having seen the good reviews on Open Table and we were not disappointed. Everything was excellent and particularly the meal which was fresh, tasty and well presented. I had warm beets with goat's curd and hazlenuts as a starter and it was so good. The staff were friendly and attentive and they recommended the Yellow bus to get back into town! A great evening.Special Features:
- Excellent pub foodwendleDined on 17/9/2014A good & varied menu with lots of daily specials. The bar snacks make a good choice for starters & the 1kg char-grilled rumpsteak for 2 was excellent. Service was prompt, efficient & friendly & the prices very reasonable. We were celebrating a birthday & felt we'd made an excellent choice of restaurant. We''ll certainly go again.Special Features:
- My favorite gastro pubJonDDined on 16/9/2014Still loving the Broad Chare. Menu always changing. Food fantastic, great beer and wine list. Who could want moreSpecial Features:
- Grest food, brusque serviceBbbbDined on 14/9/2014Food was pricey but extremely lovely, good portion size. Service wasn't amazing - fast but main server very snappy which was a shame as took the shine off the special occasion somewhat. Definitely are the automatic service charge for a large party something we begrudgedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back againSusiefDined on 13/9/2014Thank you. Again. Another wonderful meal! Seasonal food done exceptionally well, the ham hock and bean salad was fresh crunchy and the dressing was sublime! I followed that with the crispy duck leg (which melted in your mouth) with roast beetroot and lentils. The beetroot and lentils were earthy with a tang of vinegar to cut through the richness, served with the creamiest mash.....my only criticism....too many lentils and mash, I felt terrible leaving any. The staff are always friendly and knowledgeable....when facing a dilemma over which main to get they always have a few suggestions and can explain any dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back....again!!joroseDined on 12/9/2014We had a great birthday celebration meal. Lots of food choices but we love a selection of bar snacks to start. (Pigs ears are fab!) Steaks for main course we're cooked perfectly and deserts were yummy! The service was great and the atmosphere lively. A brilliant night. Definitely recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impromptu dinnerFoodie1712Dined on 9/9/2014Excellent food, with a good menu selection. Scotch eggs gorgeous! Bring back the treacle tart for dessert pleaseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best sunday luck in Newcastle!DarrenBVIPDined on 7/9/2014Why bother cooking when you can eat the most wonderful sunday lunch at the broadchare, fantastic roast beef, just pink and tender, superb mashed root veg, cabbage, honeyed carrots last week truly amazing, yorkshire pudding and horseradish just spot on! Start off with good choice of starters, traditional bar snacks, monkfish deep-fried so good, a glass of champagne, wine by the glass and the bottle both a good choice and draught lager & beer is a winner for the men. Do not waste time looking for a great lunch just eat here!Special Features:
- VikingDined on 7/9/2014We have eaten here a few times. Twice we have eaten really well prepaired suckling pig. Succulent!. The waiter is very friendly and remember us each time we og, which of course is also great. Good atmosphere!Special Features:
- Quality FoodMatt2014Dined on 6/9/2014The good is outstanding! I have been on a number of occasions and never been disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SarahMDined on 6/9/2014Great atmosphere and delicious food, we all really enjoyed our visit.Special Features:
- Nicjoss1Dined on 6/9/2014Fabulous meal after mini great north run! We opted for 7hour lamb. Delicious lamb, pots and veg! Excellent value for amount of food and quality.Special Features:
- Excellent meal!EntertainerVIPDined on 4/9/2014Really enjoyed our meal which was served in a very friendly, efficient and relaxed manner. Great choice of dishes both simple and not so simple, menu and daily specials, starters and main courses. The desserts sounded lovely but we were too full to try one. The quality of food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Broad Chare - A great findBillfromthesouthDined on 2/9/2014This is the second time I've been to the Broad Chare in 2 weeks. Both times I had a special. Steak and kidney pudding first time and oxtail second. They were both excellent. The ambiance is fine; it doesn't try and be what it isn't. The staff are very friendly and the beer is perfectly kept. Overall it is a great experience and very good value for money. The first time I walked in off the street and was lucky to get a seat in the bar. Last time I booked on line. We wouldn't have got a space in the restaurant if I hadn't.Special Features:
- Great food, great priceRaymondDined on 31/8/2014I pre-booked the table through the online booking form, this was confirmed with a helpful reminder sent the day prior to dining at The Broad Chare. Upon arrival we were seated, talked through the specials board and had drink orders taken. We were recommend the Sunday lunch special which was beef. The service friendly and efficient and the food was delightful. I would recommend dining here and I will most definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFrankLVIPDined on 30/8/2014Once more, a superb experience. Everything about Broad Chare is excellent. A lovely table next to the window. We went for the steak for two people which was superb in every way. Service is always spot on and this occasion was no exception. Consistently top drawer.Special Features:
- Excellent MealTeddytheTerrierDined on 26/8/2014As usual when in Newcastle on business I make a beeline for this excellent resturant with its different selection of well presented dishes on offer and fine cask ales it is difficult to beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good beer and foodNickviewDined on 25/8/2014Had fine evening meal here with some excellent cask alesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunch, very good, go.jzneDined on 24/8/2014We went for sunday lunch. It was good and I would go again. I often have business lunches here and also use it for personal use in the evening. Good quality food and not too expensive. The staff are always really helpful and professonal. I did think the sunday lunch had been a little commercialised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 22/8/2014excellent meal, service was fantastic as was the choice of food. Probably my past dining experience to date in Newcastle and good value in terms of costSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodLovefood4twoDined on 21/8/2014Food was amazing, rump steak for two was outstanding value and cooked to perfection and came with a large bowl of chips, home made onion rings and a large dressed bowel of salad. The staff were very friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unpretentious yet still classy.Claret45Dined on 20/8/2014My party of 4 had an excellent evening at Broad Chare, good service and food administered by cheery, friendly staff. Food was served promptly and hot and the no-nonsense menu is a refreshing change. The restaurant is unpretentious whilst at the same time being classy and good. My only gripe is that it is quite expensive, a £125 bill which included only 1 bottle of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All ways good at the Broad ChareAACriticDined on 19/8/2014I have been a number of times to the Broad Chare. It is my restaurant/pub of choice if I am in Newcastle, with my wife or guests, and I am showing off the city. The Pub is good just for a drink, in my case proper beer and Pub snacks, or a Black Velvet before a meal in the restaurant. I enjoy lunch. Different Specials through the week, yesterday Braised Ox Tail, Thursday Steak and Kidney pudding all good. Menu changes regularly. Staff, attentive, knowledgeable, and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday night outAndymacDined on 16/8/2014Me and my partner thought we would try the Broad Chare after hearing good reviews. The bar downstairs served a good choice of ales and the food on the restaurant was great. One of the best meals out in newcastle I've had. The service was also very good, no waiting to be seen to and the the food delivered very quick and efficiently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generous & Delicious Portions!YorkieDined on 16/8/2014Went for our (grown up) daughters birthday and all 6 of us enjoyed our meal and the relaxed atmosphere. The portion sizes are very generous - so order wisely or skip lunch! Two couples got the "rump steak for 2" but couldn't manage half of it, as it was 1Kgsteak plus salad, chips and onion rings. Cooked as ordered (medium rare) and waiter kindly wrapped up what was left of the steak to take home. I will definitely order the crab on toast starter again.Special Features:
- Simply fantastic !j0anna72Dined on 16/8/2014I can't compliment The Broad Chare enough. The food, service and atmosphere are spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints64dknyDined on 10/8/2014Booked for Sunday lunch with family, as usual the restaurant was busy but it's not rushed. All the staff here are friendly and go the extra mile to make the whole dining experience very relaxed and welcoming. The Sunday Lunch was excellent, no skimping on the meat and it was cooked beautifully. Unfortunately we had no room for dessert. Look forward to coming back soon.Special Features:
- Steve AsteveADined on 9/8/2014Slightly disappointed in food on this occasion. Mackerel was quite bland with a few lettuce leaves and too many potatoes. A bit more imagination required.Special Features:
- Stunning Food!SimpaDined on 9/8/2014Have been wanting to visit this restaurant for a long time and I can certainly say I wasn't disappointed! The food was stunning; packed full of flavour and beautifully presented. The attentive staff catered to out every needs and were charming and attentive. The restaurant boasts a modern ambient surrounding whilst retaining the feel of a top gastro pub. I will certainly be returning in the very near futureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic lunchfoodie46Dined on 1/8/2014We went to Broad Chare for a rare but relaxed "lunch for two" without our little girl. It was just what we wanted; unobtrusive service, excellent and interesting choice and unstuffy for a lunch time. The gooseberry crumble was absolutely superb: gorgeous vanilla custard and buttery, crispy crumble. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous placeFoodieDined on 19/7/2014Really lovely tea time meal with my partner. Outstanding service from the staff they knew so much about the food and recommended some delicious food to us. We weren't disappointed when the food arrived. Definately come back again soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/7/2014Recommended by a friend this did not disappoint. Good traditional fare, delicious food, good portions, excellent choice of beers, friendly efficient service and value for money.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunch!Northernfoodie83Dined on 10/7/2014We had lunch at the broad chare following my graduation with with my parents and it was delicious. The service is great and there is always something tasty on the specials board. It's not the cheapest option but you get excellent value for the fresh cooked food you receive. We've been here a few times now and we'll keep coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!!Potsy1990Dined on 9/7/2014The food was amazing, we opted for the 7 hour roasted lamb shoulder to share which came with a large dish of dauphinois potatoes and veg. One of the tastiest meals I've ever had and we were even allowed to take the leftovers away. The food was well accompanied with a large selection of alcoholic drinks particularly in the beer/lager category. Would recommend this place to anyone!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food on a sunday afternoonpickymotherDined on 6/7/2014Wasn't sure what to expect with no details of the Sunday lunch offering on the website ... It was simply scrummy! Started with a range of bar snacks then straight into roast beef with all the trimmings, Yorkshire pudding was perfect & really good veg selection. Even got the thumbs up from a very picky mother who usually complains that Sunday lunch at home is always best - not this time! Thanks for a great new option for family gatherings - will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.