The Bull & Last
168 Highgate Road
London, NW5 1QSNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
The Bull & Last
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebullandlast.co.uk/
- Phone: 02072673641
- Hours of Operation:
Friday through Sunday: 9am-11am
Monday - Friday: 12.00pm - 3.00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 12.30pm - 4.00pm
Monday - Saturday: 6.30pm - 10.00pm
Sunday: 7.00pm - 9.00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Oliver Pudney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Wine
We offer Hampers and Ice Cream to take away in the summer time, and take-away fish & chips in the evening (subject to availability - please call ahead). We also do canapes to take away for a taste of The Bull & Last at home.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a small intimate dining area upstairs (The Stag Room), which seats 14-16 guests for a meal. We also hire out the whole restaurant for private parties - from sit-down meals to canapes & champagne receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Adam or Sarah 02072673641
We have a pub quiz on Sunday nights, starting at 7.30pm.
- Cross Street: Woodsome Road
- Public Transit:
Kentish Town Tube is a ten minute walk away, and the overground at Gospel Oak is a five minute walk. The C11 and 214 buses stop right outside.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details:
Parking after midday is free from Monday - Friday in the surrounding streets, and un-restricted all weekend.
A word from The Bull & Last
An independent British Gastropub a stone's throw from Hampstead Heath in leafy North West London, recently voted the 22nd best restaurant in London by Time Out.
An independent British Gastropub a stone's throw from Hampstead Heath in leafy North West London, recently voted the 22nd best restaurant in London by Time Out.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerSunday Lunch
The Bull & Last - Best restaurants in Kentish Town ›
The Bull & Last reviews from OpenTable diners
196 reviews since 22 May 2014
fit for foodies (111)sunday lunch (108)special occasions (55)group bookings (38)child friendly (32)romance (31)brunch (24)outstanding value (15)business meals (14)good vegetarian options (13)outdoor eating (12)pre/post theatre (4)afternoon tea (2)disabled access (1)Show More
- A local we wish we had near us!EttiDined on 1/9/2014Good food served by a very willing waiter in a pleasant pub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunch a mustNeilDuguid1Dined on 31/8/2014The food was outstanding, also the beer selection is excellent. It is quite a small place down stairs..but it has a good busy pub atmosphere..it does get a wee bit smokey when the food orders start to take off...but for me that just ads character to the place. I had the pork belly for Sunday lunch and to be quite honest I think it was the best plate of food I have had, and I include home cooking in that statement. Did notice some people orderd the fish and chips and it looked amazing, nice large chips and fish was curled up looked nice and crispy. Only complaint would be the service charge but I know this is a London thing..I come from the north of Scotland where service charge does not exist ..but I always leave a good tip anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingbjanecDined on 30/8/2014We've dined here before & after a great first time were looking forward to revisiting. We waited 50 minutes for our mains (no warning, apology or explanation) and when the food finally did come my partner's burger was cold. My steak was very nice but when you're paying these prices for pub food you expect more. The whole experience left a sour taste. There sadly won't be a third visit.
- Lovely food, but less fun upstairsRHT73Dined on 28/8/2014Another great meal at The Bull & Last. Booked through OpenTable, and had forgotten that they open the restaurant upstairs some days. The atmosphere and service are not as great as in the pub downstairs, and given a choice, I would always sit downstairs.
- Sunday Lunchspyro66Dined on 24/8/2014Very nice pub - right opposite hampstead heath. Perfect for walking off a big sunday lunch. Couldn't really fault it, a decent portion of beef, yorkshire puddings and vegetables. All very tasty with decent starters and puddings too. Staff were friendly, it's child friendly too and a nice relaxed atmosphere. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodStevenjfDined on 23/8/2014Nice nosh but more than that in a true pub but gastro environment. Laid back but decent service. Always good & reliable. Not cheap but still value for money. Never had a bad meal thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastro Pub8foodDined on 15/8/2014Perfect pub ambience an excellent selection of micro brewery beers and the kitchen does the classics and some more inventive dishes with attention to detail that makes them delicious. For visitors from abroad you would be hard pressed to give them a better UK pub dining experience!Special Features:
- stinchyDined on 10/8/2014Quite outstandingly good - truly wonderful and highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Great venueRagapuffinDined on 10/8/2014Great place to eat with friends and family.Lovely food,(meat always cooked to perfection)and very helpful and knowledgeable staff.Some inspired food combinations eg.pigs cheek with melon and sesame seeds and as always the best scotch egg in London!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bull and lastOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014Starters were great. My steak was chewy, lovely salad and crispy chunky chips... Service very slow and waitresses second shift so couldn't recommend any dishes... Overall okay... Will I go back? Not in a hurry ..Special Features:
- Awful Seating PolicyDaNeroDined on 8/8/2014We booked over a week in advance. When we got there we were the first to turn up. We were offered a table in the upstairs part of their restaurant which was boiling hot and uncomfortable. When we asked for another table we were offered either the tables by the front door or a small bar table. When I asked for an alternative the waiter who had a definite attitude told me that was the choice. We reluctantly decided to eat by the (open) front door which was under the air con, really draughty and cold. When I asked if there was any king they can do about it. I was told a flat 'no'. I asked if the door could be shut and met with pretty much the same attitude. The manager wasn't that helpful either. Good food, awful service. Avoid
- Great food and venuePigglywigglyDined on 3/8/2014Consistently good food at Bull and Last. Freshly cooked, generous portions size. Lovely atmosphere and wide range of beers and wine. Friendly and efficient staff. Like relaxed atmosphere on Sunday lunch time in the bar. Family and dog friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive, bad attitude of mgmtAlex343Dined on 23/7/2014When I booked this place for my husband's birthday meal I did not know that they booked me a table upstairs as it was the first time we went. As I'm heavily pregnant and wasn't feeling great, when they told us the table was not on the ground floor we talk to the manager to change it but even though he saw my condition was v inflexible. I didn't want to make a fuss since it was a birthday meal but they didn't have a banister to hold on on the stairs and once upstairs it was really hot! Even being one of the hottest day of the year they said they weren't allowed to open other windows.The food took a long time to come and the quality of it was just a above average, really not what we expected. For the price you pay is really not worth it!
- Great food, service could improveDaveBilDined on 17/7/2014Went there for a meal for the first time with friends. What a find. The food was just delicious, from the scallop starter to the lamb main course and the blueberry cheesecake sundae desert. Service was a little slow and inconsistent at times but the staff were friendly and welcoming. I would definitely go back again as the food is fantastic and great value considering the gourmet meals being served up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- H StonePebbleDined on 16/7/2014We have known the Bull & Last for over 6 years. Its standard never falters and often surprises. We'll keep going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fading?OilLeakDined on 14/7/2014Not as good as a couple of years ago. The starters were fantastic, service a bit forgetful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- tastyAppetite1Dined on 6/7/2014Nice local pub serving very good food - worth a visit
- Over hypedAnchoDined on 30/6/2014Dined at the Bull and Last on a Monday night. The service was friendly and amenable, but I couldn't see what the fuss was about with the food, which was nothing more special than your average gastropub fayre. Bearing this - and the slightly shabby surroundings - in mind, the prices seemed way too steep. All in all, not bowled over.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchMissLLDined on 29/6/2014I have dined here many times and there was a few small niggly aspects to the meal however overall still a very good meal. 1. They didn't have the Steak Tartare - It was one of the groups favourite dishes that they do brilliantly. 2. I ordered the scallop entree and was only given 2 scallops. For £10 - i thought this was a bit stingy however the taste was delicious. 3. Roast was almost perfect - I prefer my beef on the rarer side and it cooked wonderfully however it was quite fatty about a fifth of the 2 slices of meat was fat. 4. Charcuterie board was excellent as always. 5. Wine list was always a winner here and reasonably priced. 6. Service is friendly as always. Overall another very good meal.Special Features:
- Excellent foodie pubFoodieLBDined on 23/6/2014Excellent food, wine, service and ambience. Definitely worth the short trek from the tube, and if I lived closer I'd be a regularSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday lunchJamesDined on 22/6/2014Met a group of Italian friends at The Bull & Last for Sunday lunch. True to form we were a little late. And indecisive (to share or not to share...) The guys taking our orders were friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and relaxed, even when we ended up staying rather later than they might have wished. The starters and sharing platters we had were very good, with some quite unusual items. These included pig's 'head' and cheeks which pleased the tummy and, hating it when good food goes to waste, the conscience as well. We were upstairs, downstairs was more buzzy. I would thoroughly recommend it for a relaxed, fun meal with friends or family.Special Features:
- Lovely sunday lunchJennyDined on 22/6/2014Great food, service and ambience. Definitely will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable, great pub grub!nomnomnomDined on 15/6/2014Been here a couple of times now and food has always been lovely. We had the Fathers Day set menu, starter, main and dessert all delicious. Nice array of beers too. Great place to go before or after a walk on Hampstead Heath (just across the road). Need to book though as it's a popular place and rightly so!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait for food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 14/6/2014Very long delays in being served - too long. The waiting team were very nice but we had to wait over an hour to get some food, even after asking what was happening to our meal. A wedding reception or similar was being held upstairs. It was a great shame as the food itself was nice & the waiting team nice too.Special Features:
- PeanutVIPDined on 12/6/2014Hadn't been for a while. Nice ambience and ate in bar area rather than restaurant. Food was nice but thought pricey for what it was but v generous portion. I would have preferred cheaper and smaller portion. Not tempted by any of the desserts which for me is unheard of. Too exotic and experimental.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unpretentious yet classyfrostieDined on 11/6/2014Lovely little pub that has the feel of an intimate eating establishment. The menu is interesting and the food quality outstanding. A little bit pricy but for a special occasion, worth it - Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine pub grub!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2014We had finally managed to get a table at the Bull & Last as a group of nine for lunch on Saturday. The service is gracious and the food is proper pub grub - generous portions and great flavours. The service took longer than I expected, but for a table of nine ordering a la carte, the delay is excusable. Great location just next to Hampstead Heath.Special Features:
- Sadly, disappointingLindyDined on 31/5/2014I've heard some very good reviews about the food at the Bull & Last, so was really looking forward to our meal. I've been in for a drink once before and found the decor to be a bit tatty, but had heard that for food, this was a hidden gem. The food was good, but not remarkable. My lamb dinner appears to have been the highlight. Others in my party reported their food to be very salty and nothing special. The pub became very smoky over the course of the evening (from the kitchens), which did little to improve the atmosphere.
- eatsalotDined on 31/5/2014We love this place for a casual lunch after walking the dog on the Heath. It allows dogs downstairs which is a major plus point. For an evening meal upstairs its all a bit more restrained. The room is lovely and quirky. The food is good but on the expensive side. The fish and chips is worth trying. I've always liked the linguine with chili crab which was not on the menu that evening. The staff are super friendly and helpful.
- First class food in relaxed settingKazLizDined on 31/5/2014I love the Bull & Last! The food is fabulous, real quality. We had the fish board to share for starters and then I had cod, crab and herb gnocchi and samphire, followed by salt caramel truffles. All delicious. Service is excellent too. Not cheap (£105 for basically two (and a bit) course meal with carafe of wine and aperitifs) but you get what you pay for. Still decent value in my view.Special Features:
- Tasty food in a chilled atmosphereJRo1Dined on 31/5/2014I had the charcuterie platter and my friend had an enormous burger. The waiting staff were helpful and happy to switch toast for my favourite soda bread. Service was friendly and the upstairs dining room has a nice ambience, if a little toasty on a sunny day. Plenty of other appetising items on the menu, so I will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Bull has horns!HasiDined on 24/5/2014as you can see on my high ratings, there isn`t a lot that didn`t work in THE BULL AND LAST. Maybe the service should be mentioned with an extra star, the folks are just great and friendly. See you againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent quality foodtheatregoerVIPDined on 24/5/2014love love love the menu - great good, relaxed ambience. can purchase bones to take home to the dog :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most enjoyableKCJhbDined on 23/5/2014The Bull and Last was a very pleasant experience, the restaurant is interesting, the ambience and service excellent and the food is good. I would definitely recommend it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waste of good cookingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 22/5/2014The lamb confit was very good, but the service was poor, with no explanation or apology for the long pauses between courses, although the staff were friendly enough. At least four dogs entered the restaurant while we were there. They were on leads but dogs should not be allowed where food is being served. The bar area where we ate was not particularly inviting. The tables were small and unstable and the chairs were uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Great food. Slow serviceprowl77Dined on 17/5/2014Food was of a high standard. Fit for any central London restaurant. But service was very slow, despite there only being two couples in the entire restaurant. Later, I watched as neighbouring table of 6, received each meal 10 minutes apart; those first served watching their meal go cold whilst politely waiting for others. Would recommend it, however, as the kitchen may have been having an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch on Saturday 17th MayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 17/5/2014Five of us lunched upstairs at the Bull and Last on Saturday. Sadly standards have slipped since we were last there a couple of years ago, when it was one of the best gastro-pubs in London. Service was very slow (our starters took almost an hour to arrive) and, when it arrived, was mediocre. Downstairs was more lively, but very smoky due to a faulty kitchen fan. I doubt whether we'll go back again; maybe just for a drink and a scotch egg..
- Very enjoyableLorenzoDined on 12/5/2014Fantastic proper brit food! Stunning quality, friendly service wide selection of wines and beer. A place that is a MUST!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsdiscerningdinerDined on 8/5/2014The Bull and Last is one of the best gastro pubs around. Not the cheapest but the food is always delicious. This time it was dessert which made the meal for me - an outstanding berry clafoutis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and very friendly staffkirikiriDined on 4/5/2014Portion is too generous for me, but we can share some dishes with other people. For that reason, it is a fun place to go by 3~4 people. Additionally, this restaurant is walkable distance from my place, and no need to be worried about how much we can drink. You can't expect more than this.Special Features: