The Bull at Great Totham
2 Maldon Road
Great Totham, CM9 8NHNeighbourhood:
Gastro PubPrice: £25 and under
The Bull at Great Totham
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebullatgreattotham.co.uk/
- Phone: 01621893385
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday: 8am - 11am; Sunday: 9am - 10:30am,
Lunch: Monday - Friday:12noon - 2:30pm; Saturday: 12noon - 4.45pm; Sunday: 12noon - 4.45pm,
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 8.45pm; Friday 5.30 - 9.45pm; Saturday 5pm - 9.46pm; Sunday 5pm - 6.45pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, British, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Mark Blake
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Bull at Great Totham
The Bull at Great Totham is a 16th century coaching inn now beautifully restored to suit the needs of the 21st century. The emphasis here is on comforting food in comfortable surroundings. Our passion is for the very best ingredients that are fresh, seasonal and sourced as locally as possible from top Essex producers. With this fabulous country larder we have created hearty and robust food dishes. Come to The Bull gastropub for big flavours, both on your plate and in your glass. Our attentive staff will welcome you into our relaxed ambience as if you were our old friend. In the kitchen, the team is led by our head chef, Mark Blake. We offer breakfast, lunch, dinner, morning coffee and traditional sunday lunch, as well as a 3 course set lunch for £14.95, please see our website for further details www.thebullatgreattotham.co.uk.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Bull at Great Totham - Best restaurants in Maldon ›
The Bull at Great Totham reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since 31 October 2013
special occasions (16)romance (8)sunday lunch (8)fit for foodies (8)group bookings (6)outstanding value (5)business meals (5)brunch (5)outdoor eating (5)child friendly (3)good vegetarian options (2)disabled access (1)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- DeliciousgorjayDined on 2/10/2014Three friends and I had dinner at the Bull yesterday evening; the food was delicious together with very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok, but not ground breakingtheDomeDined on 21/9/2014Had Sunday lunch for five. The food was what you'd expect but nothing ground breaking. The menu was a little limited. There was the usual Sunday roasts, but if you didn't want a roast you had only a few options. My son had fish and chips, which he said was very greasy. I opted for the vegetarian pan fried gnocchi, which tasted great, but the gnocchi was very chewy, almost as if it had been reheated in a microwave. The whole meal came in at £115, not the most expensive meal, but when you consider one of our party was eating off the children's menu, is a little steep.Special Features:
- PMMJPDined on 11/9/2014My wife and I stayed overnight at the Bull and had one evening meal in the Willow Room. The atmosphere in the dining room was very pleasant and the service was exceptional with always a waiter/waitress ready to attend. We both had a three course meal all of which was very good but one main course we felt was priced fairly highly, but all was of exceptional quality.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 25/8/2014Moved to area last year and found this little gem recently. 2 visits in last 3 weeks and both were excellent. Would 100% recommend dining here or popping for juts a drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brothers meetingLeytonstoneDined on 20/8/2014Brother found the Bull on internet. Likes to meet up somewhere special as he is used to fine dinning. Was very satisfied with everything.Special Features:
- DINNER AT BULLtonydDined on 14/8/2014MY FAMILY AND I ENJOYED AN EXCELLENT MEAL AT THE THE BULL, THE SERVICE WAS VERY GOOD AND ATTENTIVE ,WITHOUT BEING OVER THE TOP. I WOULDN'T SAY THAT THE PRICES WERE THAT GOOD VALUE, BUT THE FOOD WAS BEAUTIFULLY COOKED, SO YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FORSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and well presented mealVeggieBreadDined on 14/8/2014My partner and I visited for our anniversary and enjoyed the meal very much. I'm vegetarian and there was a good choice of starters though confusing the soup marked 'V' was "Pea & Ham"! On questioning I found out that there was tomato as well but I had to ask. All the food was good, well presented, hot and the vegetables were cooked just right. I was disappointed that of the three vegetarian mains they all felt "Italian" - one gnocchi and two pasta, whereas other choices were much more varied and imaginative. There were only three half bottles on the wine list which was a bit of a shame as a wider offering would have been appreciated. Desserts were very good but the coffee was only so-so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place & people - needs polishLuv2dineDined on 16/7/2014Found this place online and took a chance for a relative's birthday. The staff were very accomodating as one of our group has a bad back so they offered a number of different chairs. In fact the staff were great when they were serving you but there were long absences and we had to go the bar to get the bill in the end. To be fair, it was a quiet night so there might have been more staff on at a busier time. The starter I had was simply amazing (Goats cheese and honey mousse) but the main (Braised Lamb) was ok rather than special. The grounds suggest that this place would be great on a sunny afternoon and the staff are very welcoming. Definitely one I'd visit again but not necessarily for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great Sunday LunchKatieBDined on 6/7/2014A traditional roast in a smart pub, great for a relaxing Sunday lunch.Special Features:
- Lovely country gastropubttroubleDined on 30/6/2014Nicely decorated pub serving good quality food at a reasonable price. The staff were very friendly and I would be delighted to return there. Good veggie options too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 28/6/2014Food was delicious, although service felt a bit rushed and cost is high end, so I would recommend for a special occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply good foodfoodiemarkDined on 19/6/2014We had a very nice mid week evening meal. Excellent choice of food options on the menu. The staff are very welcoming and polite. Good layout for the tables, not to close to other diners. We both had a starter, main and dessert with a drink and the bill with a tip was £75. I thought this was good value, as the food was cooked to perfection, especially the veg (still had a bite to it). The Black Forest dessert was the best! We are already planning to go back with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressedLauraDined on 3/5/2014Had a lovely meal here on a Saturday night. Reserved a table in the pub area (restaurant was full), although the menu is the same for each anyway. Had a very good meal - duck leg confit with a delicious sauce and served on cabbage and my partner had the rack of lamb, Both were beautifully cooked. Dessert was very well presented and tasted very fresh - chocolate fondant and a sticky toffee pudding. Would definitely recommend!
- Great nightHappyleeDined on 26/4/2014Had a really lovely meal, staff were friendly and made sure we were ok and happy with our meals. I would recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:
- Dining at the bull2dinersDined on 10/4/2014I would recommend The Bull as a brilliant place to have a function,meal or just a relaxing drink.i can highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious two course meal.WAM1PartyLeaderDined on 4/1/2014Delicious two course meal. Fresh ingredients. Delightful menu. Service was fast, efficient & friendly. Fab meal out. We will be back again. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately the food waslunchDined on 24/11/2013Unfortunately the food was disappointing. ALL staff were really nice and it truely is a lovely pub and location.
- For the prices on the menunickyDined on 16/11/2013For the prices on the menu i would haves expected the food to be of a higher quality. Very bland and not at all special. The menu looked very appealing, but was left feeling disappointed with what was served up. Service was excellent though.Special Features:
- The following 71 reviews are from the The Bull at Great Totham reviews archive.
- Good FoodBonnieScotlandDined on 20/10/2013Sunday evening meant eating early and in the bar! The food was good but the bar was full of late Sunday Lunch parties, lots of children and lots of noise! The service was impeccable however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceBonnieScotlandDined on 19/10/2013The food was very good but the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Very good food & service- ambience?AndyBDined on 28/9/2013My wife and I booked The Bull on a Saturday night for our wedding anniversary. it is local to us, but we had not tried it for over a year. The food was fresh, of very good quality and well cooked and presented. And the service was very good. Our 2 course meal for 2 - with a couple of drinks - came to £55 so reasonable. However, the issue for us is that the ambience (lighting, tables, feel of the room) just was not right. It was a pub/ bistro more than a restaurant. And when we arrived at 7:15pm still families eating in there which did not feel right to us. They do have a "Willow" room which i though we'd booked for "fine dining", but with a cabaret night on we had the pub bistro area instead. May go back some time for a lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice relaxed friendlyKarolyDined on 22/9/2013Very nice relaxed friendly place with good food and quiet village surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBoobellaDined on 24/6/2013Food was really good, well presented and great quality. The desserts were fab and there was a great cheese option too. We went foe lunch and took advantage of the set price menu but would definitely go back for dinner or a family lunch. The pub is decorated with a simple elegance and there is a fine dining room attached to the building called the Willow room which based on the pub food quality should be worth a visit too !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely relaxed Fathers Day lunchCazza79Dined on 16/6/2013We booked a table for Fathers Day last weekend for the two of us and our little 11 month old. We had a lovely meal. The food was delicious and all freshly prepared. The atmosphere was relaxed and the staff were lovelyamd very accommodating for our little girl. We will definitely be going there again.Special Features:
- The Bull Great TothamNinjaDined on 31/5/2013Good overall but not consistent throughout the courses. Prawn Cocktail was warm, so was the liver pate, which was quite off putting. Both should be in the fridge not standing prior to orders. Main courses were excellent. Afters were excellent too. Wine average, had better Pinot from Tesco's! Service and venue spot on. Shame we had 3 different people serving us during the evening, all good though. Didn't spoil evening but could have got off to a better start!
- Nice country pubTessDined on 24/5/2013Friendly, good service good choice of menu with local produce usedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5Star excellentluv2dineDined on 20/4/2013This was our first vist to the Bull for an 80th Birthday celebration and could not have picked a better resturant, the food, staff and atmosphere were excellent and shall be returning again very soon. Perhaps next time we will come in the evening and could go into the rear resturnant which looks very nice on the Internet but as we were only 3 people and came at lunch time we had to sit in the bar area but that was not a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Lunch 29th March 2013SteveDined on 29/3/2013A family group of 4 and with a menu predominant with fish choices, still gave sufficient choice for two 12 year olds. The waitress was very friendly and steered us away from the large,chunky chips. The food sizes could have been larger for the price.With a choice of traditonal, pub area plus a larger restaurant with excellent decor. The crab starters were very tasty as was the pork belly. Will now try one of their special events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, great atmospherequalitynotquantityDined on 11/3/2013Had a relative visiting from Canada and we took him to the Bull, an authentic British pub with fantastic food and character. Delicious burger & sticky toffee pudding to die for! It was our 2nd visit to the Bull & we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- A Hidden GemCh4rlieDined on 2/3/2013I took my brother here for a Birthday meal and the staff were brilliant. Very attentive, very polite and made us feel really welcome. The food was to die for. A great selection of main meals to choose from and all very creative. I was so impressed that I am planning my birthday meal here with all the family next month. Cannot fault it. Best for miles around and caters for all kinds of occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely disappointingElleBeeDined on 16/2/2013We waited over 20 minutes for our drinks, having to ask several times. This was an omen of what was to come. The food was very poor quality and lacking in flavour. Worse than that though, was the diabolical service and attitude of the waiting staff: It took them 1.5 hours to come and tell me I could not have my main course! I swapped to a £20 steak for speed (miniscule, gristly & fatty) & they had the cheek to charge me full price for this. We eventually saw the Manager at nearly 10pm, and she just took 2 glasses of wine from the bill (on a table for 4)! She complained of having 2 chefs down in the kitchen and that it had been chaos all night! We were given this info 2 hours after we arrived whilst STILL WAITING FOR MAINS. Never again.
- lovely atmosphere and great foodexcellentDined on 1/2/2013Would highly recomend, we were quite fussy and nothing was too much troubleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodgms1Dined on 25/11/2012does what it says on the tin - good sunday roast in a pleasant atmosphere, good service and a decent pintSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well looked afterGraemeBDined on 2/11/2012It's strange to go somewhere like this where you genuinely fell that the staff care. It is good to see somebody giving good customer service. Food was good too. It just seemed a bit quiet on the Friday night we visited which is a shame as it is well worth a visit.Special Features:
- Review of lunch at The BullPatsyDined on 2/11/2012The Bull had been recommended by a close friend as having good quality and interesting food. We arrived in anticipation of having a well prepared meal in a lively environment. There was little atmosphere as there were very few other diners and no music The furniture was drab. Some dishes were well presented and tasty; others uninspiring. It did not help that I found a piece of a rubber glove in one of my dishes and received little in the way of an apology.
- Underwhelmed, disappointedOliveDined on 22/9/2012The Bull website looked professional and seemed to be exactly what we'd enjoy. We ate in The Willow Restaurant; our waitress was friendly and attentive. In general the food was okay, but £10 for a scallop starter you expect a bit of cheffy wow and the 3 scallops were the size of 10p's. My daughters prawn cocktail was not great, loads of sauce, very small tasteless prawns and £7. £15 for a cottage pie with a very small dish of veg seemed overpriced. We waited 30 minutes for our starter and probably another 30 minutes for our dinner. You don't mind this if the food is worth the wait. We didn't feel confident enough to go for the desserts which was a shame. £110 for 3x2 course meals and a bottle of wine. We will not be going back.
- Pub LunchHMSTDined on 26/8/2012I chose the Bull for lunch as it was one of the few places on route to my weekend destination. Its website made both the pub and the food look impressive. Both myself and my other half had fish and "triple cooked chips" with "mushy peas". The fish was nice, a big piece of skin on haddock in a crispy, bubbly batter, piping hot, the rest was rather disappointing. The chips, of which there was just six, yes six! on my plate were still a bit hard in the centre, I'm not sure how that's possible after being cooked three times. The mushy peas were actually pea soup served in a pot with a few whole petit pois floating it in, but tasty enough. The tartar sauce was a bit creamy too. Could be excellent if the accompniments were improved.
- Dinner for 3 on a SaturdayMacKnifeDined on 21/7/2012Dinner for 3 on a Saturday evening in the formal dining room, the Willow Room. Starters, mains, dessert and two rounds of drinks was £85 (no service charge). Service was efficient, friendly and helpful. Menu list was bit short but all meals ordered were very well presented, were of reasonable portions and very tasty. Would go back again just to try some other dishes on the menu. Only downside was that it was a very warm evening and the air con in the restauarant was not sufficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedalgiebDined on 8/7/2012We had been to the Bull before for Sunday lunch but this time chose to eat in the bar instead of the restaurant - a much better ambience and obviously most other diners thought the same as the Willow restaurant only had two tables occupied. I had the he crab starter which was excellent, followed by the Bull Burger which I found totally bland with meat that I could not confirm was quality beef, more like the type you get from the supermarket - six for £1. My fellow diners had the roast beef which was plentiful and received the thumbs up. Service was attentative without personality but overall I will not rush to go back.Special Features:
- It was good food . But theZoeNDined on 22/6/2012It was good food . But the service was fair I don't think the waiter could handily the number of customers we where waiting 25mins for someone to order are food and drinks . and bring the food was a lot longer. the waiters were lovely. But they did forget to bring things over then you asked for it. But the food was brilliant .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.