The Bull Brentwood
13 Brook St
Brentwood, CM14 5LZNeighbourhood:
Gastro PubPrice: £25 and under
The Bull Brentwood
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebullbrentwood.com/
- Phone: 01277210445
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 10pm
Sunday: 12pm - 7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Ed King & Danny Valls
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Every Saturday night
A word from The Bull Brentwood
Welcome to The Bull Brentwood, a warm, comfortable & friendly, family run gastro style pub. Our passion is to serve delicious homemade food using the finest ingredients, including rare breed meats and locally sourced produce. On the menu you can expect seasonally changing hearty food along with weekly specials plus the added bonus of a great wine list and friendly staff. We have an a la carte menu in our restaurant area and a bar menu if you fancy something lighter. On a Sunday we have a set menu which includes our delicious roast dinner. As well as our beautifully decorated restaurant we have a comfortable lounge bar area and an extensive garden with a children's play area. Both of these area's can also be used to relax, mingle & enjoy a meal or just a drink if you prefer...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Bull Brentwood - Best restaurants in Brentwood ›
The Bull Brentwood reviews from OpenTable diners
166 reviews since 4 June 2014
sunday lunch (74)special occasions (65)fit for foodies (62)group bookings (53)outstanding value (36)child friendly (32)romance (28)business meals (22)brunch (20)disabled access (9)good vegetarian options (9)afternoon tea (7)outdoor eating (6)pre/post theatre (2)Show More
- CazzaDined on 27/9/2014Enjoyed a lovely evening with friends for dinner. Great food and excellent service (except for the waitress who spilled the wine when pouring and didn't come back to wipe it up). The only criticism I would have is that the pub area can be very loud, especially as there was football on when we were eating (1800 booking) and other customers were shouting and cheering at the scores. Tricky to get it right for both types of customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 25/9/2014Great Service, Great Food, never disappoints. Been here as a couple, with friends and have booked a family Lunch for 14 for my Dad's Birthday knowing there will be something on the menu that everyone will like.Special Features:
- Pub, tv, ok foodFoodfan1979Dined on 20/9/2014First and foremost this is a pub that serves pub food, it is not a restaurant if you want a romantic or quiet meal then go elsewhere . The televisions were all on showing sport, I think it was football but tried desperately to avoid looking. The food, for a pub, was ok, although with so many bones in the fish ( fish & chips) it was something else to look at rather than the screens, a fresh meal was offered but who what's to eat alone when in a group of friends? It would have been appreciated if the fish had been taken of the bill. We may return when in the area, but not for the fish and only if I want to watch the football .
- meal for twopieluvvaDined on 19/9/2014booked this for my wife and me because we wanted to go some where different well i can tell you now we don,t want different it was like eating in old friends house but with all make up off a pub food was fab atmosphere was good and the waitress was very friendly(even helped my wife set her new phone up) will be going back very soon.Special Features:
- Great place to eat in BrentwoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/9/2014We had an evening meal and it was very nice. Food well presented and interesting with good flavours. We enjoyed it, would recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placetorpeyDined on 18/9/2014Regular user and always consistently good. Prawns and scallops for starter a favourite. Liver main excellent and any of the fish dishes. Service just right for the ambience and would no hesitate to recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodyfreakDined on 13/9/2014Very good food with a very polite and helpful waitress.Good choice to cater for everyones tastes. Food was served piping hot. Only criticism would be our table of 6 had a table of 2 uncomfortably close next to us , would be better to remove 1 or 2 tables from restaurant to make a more comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:
- Good service and great foodstevewDined on 12/9/2014Visited the Bull for the second time and I have to say the food and service were top class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunch for mumOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014We had the calves liver and lamb rump! Delicious, would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantelsmudgoDined on 5/9/2014Very good food, and very friendly and helpful staff who provide an excellent service. The ambience is really nice. The starters and desserts are quite expensive, but we have been there several times and thoroughly recommend it.Special Features:
- Would not rush backJulesDined on 31/8/2014When booking for my mums birthday I requested a table for 4 with room for a child's car seat. On arriving we were given a cramped table in the corner near the door and told by the waitress that we should have booked a table for 5 and that I needed to communicate better!!! The a la carte menu was not available, however the food was pleads an with nice sized portions. My Eton mess was just strawberries and cream the meringue was MIA.
- Nice pub - food a bit disappointingremnuth84Dined on 30/8/2014First impressions were positive - the décor and atmosphere are very welcoming and warm. The service was prompt with little fault. The food was okay but we thought a overpriced for the quality and flavours. Overall an okay experience but not one to rave about.
- Great foodtrekki7Dined on 30/8/2014This was our first visit to The Bull following a friends recommendation. The food and service was excellent. However, we appreciate that it was a very busy Saturday evening but we found the pub environment a little too noisy for our liking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely localKboneDined on 28/8/2014We have recently moved close by & love this pub/restaurant. Service is excellent, food although quite a limited menu is really nice & the chips are the best I've ever tasted! Would definately recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- linldyloo500lindlyloo500Dined on 26/8/2014it was our first visit very impressed booked to go back for sunday lunch.Special Features:
- The Bull BrentwoodMoneypennyDined on 22/8/2014We always go yo The Bull Brentwood when we meet up for lunch. The service is always very good and the food well cooked and presented. Only criticism would be that the menu in general never changes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poky Table & Restaurant EmptyTripMaster1Dined on 21/8/2014Original booking time not available so made it an earlier time. On arrival we sat & had a drink at the bar till past our original requested booking time, the restaurant was empty. The 3 of us were then taken to our table behind a curtain, which was really a table for 2, but thought all other tables must be booked. On departing restaurant, the restaurant was still virtually empty. Wasn't too impressed.Special Features:
- Pleasant eveningCraftyChickDined on 11/8/2014We've eaten here 3 times now since the refurb. Food is better than 95% of other Brentwood pubs but a but it's not cheap. Lovely decor, nice staff, but would be the icing on top nice if staff didn't raffle off meals when they bring them to the table. Makes such a difference if they can put the meal in front of the correct person without asking. The food is nicely presented, tastes great and service is always timely and friendly. We'll be back I'm sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Sunday lunchKandLDined on 10/8/2014Met up with some friends we hadn't seen for a while .It was an ideal location just off M25 .I had been contacted in the morning to check that we were still coming ,which was fine. We were quickly seated and the service was efficient throughout ,even though it was fairly busy. For a Sunday Roast it was one of the better ones I have had recently -it was hot and there was plenty of it ,although it was commented on by a couple of the party that a £1 for an extra Yorkshire pudding was a bit steep .We would certainly go again- an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but not a 'country pub'GambledDined on 9/8/2014I was looking for a quintessential country pub. This isn't that. The pub is on a busy main road just off the m25. I should have done a bit more googling before booking, but the pub looked good on the site. On arrival, the bar was full of Essex geezers. I'm from Essex and this wouldn't be a problem if I was out for a different occasion with friends, but I was with my wife and 2 year old daughter looking for an old, quiet, country pub. There's a curtain dividing the bar and restaurant, we were right next to it, so pretty much in the bar. I could have asked to move but didn't bother. The staff were nice and attentive and made an effort. We only grabbed a quick lunch as it wasn't what we were looking for. The food was ok. Average pub grub.
- GrimeycleavesDined on 3/8/2014We didn't realise Sunday was a set menu and basically a roast, so that was our mistake - however it was nice enough, the vegetables were fresh and the potatoes in duck fat lovely. However we didn't get much meat and it wasn't the most tender. We will go back to try their ala carte menu, but for now the roast was average.
- amazing local food!CFfoodieDined on 31/7/2014This is now my second visit to the Bull and I think it is fantastic. Reasonably priced but without comprimising quality. All locally sourced and really delicious. The staff are also very friednly and there is a great atmosphere. I loved it and am already looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:
- At last, GREAT "Pub Food" in Essex!MrMartinDined on 29/7/2014Years ago, this place was a run down dive, ignored on the main road into Brentwood so I was skeptical when Floozy recommended. Food was fantastic - really tasty, large portions. Service attentive and sparkling. Skip the bread (@£2.95) or like us, "you won't have room for Pud" Larissa and Niki, the 2 lovely chirpy and helpful girls who served us were fab & from management perspective kept drinks coming. ;-) I had the pork balls - brilliant and totally new to me. My Accountant had the papa dom chicken strips - which looked great. Belly of pork for main - again REALLY tasted. Fish n Chips for him -"too much"! Live bands in The Mooseum on a Sat. night so can't wait to take Flooze there. Great food , great pub AND entertainment! WOW. Mr. MartinSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bull pub brentwoodSunday24Dined on 27/7/2014Very nice place to have Sunday lunch . Staff very friendly food lovelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mariposaDined on 27/7/2014Lovely Sunday lunch. Good service, friendly staff and really enjoyable food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 26/7/2014Third time at this restaurant within the last month. Consistently good food and service.
- Nice restaurantSalzDined on 25/7/2014The food and service was very good, enjoyable meal.Special Features:
- Friendstogether1Dined on 21/7/2014Good food well presented friendly service nice interior good value but on main road and exterior tiered and datedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely country pubOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 20/7/2014Lovely country pub, great for sunday lunch and has a great garden for childrenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as always!!KarenDined on 20/7/2014Always such a great time at this place! Food is superb and service 5* would recommend to friends and family every timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, staff and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 19/7/2014This was a very good location with excellent staff who were attentive enough to realise that they didn't need to come over to our table regularly to see how we are doing. There is nothing worse than being questioned every 15 mins to find out if we are ok. Food was really very good and the venue had a really lovely ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mum's birthday lunchclare100Dined on 19/7/2014We booked for 12.30 lunch and as it was a Saturday I thought it best to book as we needed a table for 5 people. The ambiance and overall decor is very nice. The waitresses are friendly and very attentive. We had a fabulous meal with lots of different tastes covered. The presentation was excellent and the dishes presented on really nice crockery just how I like it. Overall a beautiful meal enjoyed immensely by all 5 of us with many different dishes ordered. Not an easy task but compliments to the staff and chef who made it a very enjoyable lunchtime treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedMustgetoutmoreDined on 16/7/2014We booked the previous day for Wednesday night 7:45. We wanted a relaxed dinner for 3 with some good food. We had not thought of the Bull until we saw that it had received some good reviews. First impressions: a nice buzzy place and pretty full up on a Wednesday evening. The staff were friendly. Starters were Scallops *1 and Goats cheese tart *2. The mains were: Sea Bream, Burger and Steak. All of us were very happy with our choices and the quality / quantity of food. Service was not that quick but we were out for the evening and would not have wanted to be pushed through our meal so was fine. Choice of wines was Ok. A very nice dinner and value for money. We would recommend it and go again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night at the BullTortDined on 12/7/2014The food was a very high standard again. We booked again as we had a good experience in April. The music was a little too loud this time though and made conversation difficult but this improved as the evening progressed and customers left.Special Features:
- MarcusMarcusDined on 6/7/2014Don't normally bother doing these reviews, but moved to brentwood a year ago, and this is one of my favourite places to eat, Sunday dinner is quality and great value, especially when you have all three courses. Also burger and chips, and the steak sandwich on the bar menu are delicious. Great for when the parents come for dinner, or beers and a burger with your pals. All the staff are very friendly, can't remember her name, but our waitress this Sunday was all you could wish for from your staff. Only thing that could make this place better, is if they had Stella on tap! And I would be drinking there a lot more, Just my personal preferenceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sunday lunchRle1953Dined on 6/7/2014A really good traditional beef sunday lunch, the service was very friendly and efficient, could not ask for more. Special praise to the quality of the beef, vegetables and the peach eaton mess desert which was delicious Great value too. Will be returning soon.Special Features:
- First visit to refurbished pubExcellentexperienceDined on 29/6/2014We were surprised when we booked that our preferred time was not available, so we reluctantly accepted an early time. However this was fortune, because we really enjoyed our first visit, with excellent service and food, we were reluctant to leave.Special Features:
- Decent Pub GrubJBo86Dined on 26/6/2014Good atmosphere and a nice pub, food was nice, service was attentive. More suited to groups than a romantic meal.Special Features:
- Nice pub lunchCLBBDined on 22/6/2014Visited on Sunday where the Bull offers a set price menu. We all opted for the roast dinner, which appeared very quickly. Dinner was good although not as hot as we would have preferred but we were all very hungry and it wasn't on our plates for long. Good size portions with lots of meat on each plate. We all had dessert, which again arrived promptly and tasted good. We had tea's and coffee and because you are given a cup and not a teapot the waitress decides how much water to put in, hence one of us only had half a cup of tea! All in all it was a good lunch, better than the usual pub grub but not quite as good as some of the nearby gastro pubs.Special Features:
- ZDLadiesthatlunchDined on 21/6/2014First time at the Bull. Went there for lunch for my mums birthday. Food was great, service also good. Minor annoyance was the music was a bit loud where we sat for a lunchtime. But overall, I would go back. Both enjoyed it very much ;)Special Features: