EnglishPrice: £41 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.londonsyonpark.com/food-and-drink/the-capability.php
- Phone: 02078707777
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, English
- Executive Chef: Neil Thrift
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Wine
A word from The Capability
The Capability showcases rustic and seasonal dishes using ingredients lovingly grown in the hotel’s edible garden combined with locally sourced produce from the British Isles. Dishes include a traditional Waldorf Salad with an English twist; baby beets with Harbourne blue and horseradish; scallops with cauliflower; and spicy Cumbrian wild boar sausages. The finest old and new wines from around the world, as well as an English selection, have been carefully selected by the head sommelier. Guests can enjoy tastings in the Wine Room or dine at the chef’s table in the hotel greenhouse. In the summer, picnics can be ordered from the butler to enjoy in the parklands. In the tradition of the grand Waldorf=Astoria in New York City, The Terrace at The Capability will play host to London Syon Park Afternoon Tea.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Capability reviews from OpenTable diners
- 80th BirthdayCarb60Dined on 14/12/2012Mum really enjoyed the experience and was made to feel very special.Special Features:
- Strangest menu I have ever seen1aaaaDined on 8/12/2012Strangest menu I have ever seen edible food as a description to one item Beef heel to anyone who knows it is one of the worst cut on a cow at least 5 different muscle pass through the round / heel Where these two things placed as a joke, on the menu I can’t believe this was checked before publishing .Do you trust the chef or use a PR company they have clearly failed please reply with your comments .Special Features:
- The food was delicious butKMMMDined on 1/12/2012The food was delicious but the service was very slow and haphzard.
- Not what we were expecting.Not4meDined on 1/12/2012The ambience was very poor, with bright lighting and our table was very close to other diners. We asked several times for the lighting to be dimmed and in the end we requested to be moved to another table. Although the staff were very pleasant the service for drinks and delivery of food was slow. When our food finally arrived one of the dishes, the fish curry, was cold. It was sent back and took nearly 10 minutes to be returned. In this time the rest of us had finished leaving one diner eating on her own. The white wine was not sufficiently chilled. When we received the bill there were additional drinks that we had not ordered. In summary a very disappointing experience.
- Beautiful, luxurious setting Excell12345Dined on 21/11/2012Beautiful, luxurious setting Excellent service from all staff Seamless effortless hospitality Nice thoughtful touches such as birthday card and special dessert decoration for special occasion Fantastic vegetarian menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Capability - Waldorf AstoriaapatgeeVIPDined on 31/10/2012So impressed were we on our initial visit that we are joining the health suite. This hotel in Syon Park is completely as you'd expect a Waldorf Astoria to be. It has the wow factor. So beautiful setting. We were early, so had pre dinner drinks in very classy bar. The staff throughout were attentive and professional, the meal itself was as expected, exquisite and a real treat. Quality ingredients perfectly prepared. A formula that always makes my meal an experience to be savoured. Will recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold Food & Awful ServiceLondonWelshDined on 13/10/2012This is definately not the food and service of a restaurant you would associate with a Waldorf Astoria Hotel. The food was extremely sub standard, after the starter we waited 40 minutes for our main course only for it all to arrive COLD. This was then returned & 20 minutes later the food was returned only for the Steak to be served Well Done!!! Having served Cold food the first time, you would imagine there should have been some attention to the second effort. We did not have desert or coffee due to waiting 2hrs 20 mins for 2 courses. Front Desk and our Waiter were good, however the experience was totally ruined when we head the head waiter talk and moan about us only 6ft away, not realising we could hear...never again.
- Amazing atmosphere for lunchLove2EatVIPDined on 7/10/2012The atmosphere is amazing at The Waldorf Syon Park, from the Zen garden, the iconic bonsai tree through to the edible garden. The choice of wine is also ample. Great for a date and for a girly lunchSpecial Features:
- Sunday LunchbarrymDined on 16/9/2012I don't know if it's usually the case but the restaurant was virtually empty for Sunday lunch. This created a rather subdued atmosphere - but meant we had very attentive service. Staff were nice, food fine but not special (roast potatoes were like small rocks), and pretty pricey. Nice bar.Special Features:
- You can eat better for lessteamdDined on 14/9/2012We ate here to celebrate our 5th anniversary. Food was certainly above average but the bill for 2 with no desserts came to £180. Admittedly we had a bottle of wine plus a couple of glasses but all the same very pricey considering the quality. The starters were both on the cool side and had it not been an anniversary dinner I would have sent them back. The service was good and the bar area is lovelySpecial Features:
- Excellent location and settingStevedDined on 20/8/2012Excellent location and setting -beautiful hotel -fantastic and refreshing to have such great choice for vegetarian guests- delicious food -our third visit! Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CapabilityDaveVIPDined on 21/7/2012Better food than I expected for a hotel restaurant. Nice bar too.
- Lovely food, but almost emptyRaveDined on 5/7/2012We had a gorgeous meal at the Capability for my boyfriend's brthday. The food was not cheap, but was very tasty, and well presented. It was a shame that it was so quiet. The location is not ideal as there is no passing trade to boost numbers. As a result there were too many staff for the number of customers, and there was little atmosphere. If you went with a group of people it would be better.Special Features:
- The dining room was very quietladylunchDined on 20/6/2012The dining room was very quiet but the decor was welcoming and suited to lunchtime dining. Very attentive staff who took time over our order. I am sure dining outside would be enjoyable, weather permitting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining on A Special OccassionRWDinerDined on 16/6/2012We dined recently for a friend's birthday on a Saturday night (having previously visited for afternoon tea and dinner) and whilst we very much enjoyed the pre-dinner cocktails in the snazzy bar and the food was of a good standard, the service really let us down. In view of the prices (much higher than other decent London restaurants), the service should be excellent but we had a number of different waiting staff and at 10am they seemed to go 'off duty'. We asked for dessert wine and no wine menu ever arrived so we went without and we waited for the bill. If you wish to visit I would suggest do so for drinks only or for afternoon tea.Special Features:
- A very pleasent mealLovefoodDined on 15/6/2012Out fourth visit to The Capability, it was almost empty so lacked atmosphere this time. Food and service were very good. Not a cheap option for a meal out but I am sure that we will return again. I wasn't anamoured by the seemingly deliberate creases in the table clothes from where they had been folded.This spoilt the look of the room for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Capability Restaurant at Syon ParkTrish26Dined on 9/6/2012My 4th visit to the restaurant. Although the food is good, I think it is a bit overpriced. The wine by the glass is expensive, £11. My biggest complaint is the fact that although a service charge of 12.1/2 % is added, there is a space left for what is called a 'tip' !! I wish the management would take notice of this as I am sure it annoys diners. On the plus side, there is plenty of parking, and the staff in the restaurant are excellent.Special Features:
- Capability restaurant in Syon ParkIsabelleDined on 4/6/2012Capability restaurant knowledgable waiter, good food but expensive especially wine list The restaurant is expensive even for London hotel prices, but our food was excellent and in my view worth the price especially as you are offered the little extras such as good bread, amuse bouche, chocolates after the meal. we chose the same starters of spider crab and poached quails egg risotto. I thought this was perfect my husband would have liked more crab meat. The red deer main as excellent too. We chose one of the most reasonably priced red wines and my husband had a glass of white wine with the starter. we didn't have dessert or coffee and it was just over £145 with tip for the two of us.Special Features:
- Unacceptably wallet-lighteningGastroturfDined on 26/5/2012First, good stuff. Helpful, polite and friendly staff. Above-average food - some genuine 'mmmm' moments (special shout out to the gazpacho amuse-bouche, the warm bread and butter with crystals of rock salt, the sauce for the prawn starter, a fabulous blue cheese) - well-presented, and served promptly. Sitting outside with coffee and the last of the red was a treat. The bad stuff. This could be a restaurant in any cookie-cutter-approach hotel anywhere in the world. But the Mandarin Oriental (Singapore), the Conrad (Hong Kong) and the Hilton (Tel Aviv) would be cheaper. A bottle of southern French viognier at £33? Three scallops in sauce at £25? Glass of Malbec at £11? Sorry chaps - AA rosette quality at Michelin star prices. In Brentford.Special Features:
- Great place - definitely going backOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 20/5/2012Had a wonderful time - We went for breakfast - 6 adults and 2 kids. A really child friendly place but no other kids... so was very peaceful and quiet. Service was fast and the waiters gave us lots of attention. Nice court yard at the back too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good transformed to dullpaulwmortonDined on 18/5/2012What was until very recently a great find in Syon park, the Capability has regressed to a fairly run-of-the-mill hotel eatery. OK food, sloppy table-turning service ("we can't wait to get you fed and out the door" - was how we felt.) Over priced and poorly delivered. Been four times before, spend hundreds of pounds there, won't be back.Special Features:
- Difficult to recommend itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 28/4/2012We were very keen to try out the Capability restaurant at the new Waldorf Astoria hotel in Syon Park. When we arrived we met friends in the very busy bar outside the restaurant which was very expensive with pink champagne at £19 a glass. The restaurant is nice but it is difficult to escape the fact it is inside a brand new hotel building. The food was good but the service was very, very slow. I ordered a cake iced with "Happy Birthday to the Spaniard" but when it arrived it said "Happy Birthday to the Spun yard". The bill was wrong when 1st presented (two bottles of champagne instead of two glasses - a £200 error). The corrected bill was paid but still had an overcharge error. They did credit me for the poor service, cake and overcharge.
- The Capability is a sophisticated,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 21/4/2012The Capability is a sophisticated, understated restaurant in the glamourous Waldorf Astoria Hotel at Syon Park. I think it is best suited to discerning adults who want to dine in a peaceful, upmarket environment and enjoy fine food, wine and service. Being a large restaurant in a hotel, it may not have much obvious atmosphere but personally I appreciate the fact that it is not trying too hard. The staff are discreet and knowledgable and the food excellent quality. The hotel bar is also upscale and plush. The whole place exudes luxury. Really good.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful lunch withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 15/4/2012We had a wonderful lunch with superb food and wine. The cocktails were lovely,although a little pricieSpecial Features:
- The Capability team were exceptionaSquirrel8Dined on 23/3/2012The Capability team were exceptional and we found their interaction with us absolutely marvellous. The moment we stepped into the hotel we were treated with gracious polite interchanges. The Bar Staff responded positively to our request for a cocktail special before a family celebratory dinner. The whole experience was so different to similar places visited in the UK and on a par with dining experiences we frequently encounter in Dubai. Your Staff are to be praised on their professionalism to make the customer feel at ease and comfortable. We will definitely return to discover the delights which await us in Outdoor Dining. We live locally and we may be considering a wedding venue next year!Special Features:
- This is a great restaurantEdjCDined on 18/3/2012This is a great restaurant went on Mothers Day and it was not busy when it should be! Its great, food is great, serice is excellent. A bit on the expensive side but you pay for the quality of the food which is outstanding. Had my 3 year old in tow and they did everything to make his experience as fun as possibleSpecial Features:
- Excellent Food. The new hotelOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 18/3/2012Excellent Food. The new hotel building is not inspired architecture but once inside the bar and restaurant are very pleasant. Service is extremely friendly.Special Features:
- Toast was cold... OrderedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 18/3/2012Toast was cold... Ordered bacon on waffles and got 2 tiny rashes of streaky bacon... was disappointed at the amount... still tasted good. They took about 10 minutes to get my change from a £50 note. Outdated hotel. Friendly staff and good service otherwise.... Orange juice cost £5. Will I be coming back here? Maybe...Special Features:
- was okOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2012I think for a five star hotel the menu and food was disapointing. For example I ordered the soup and out came a huge bowl of soup I would have preffered a smaller nicer portion the main on the other hand was tiny. Chips were delicious and service couldnt be faulted. The room service menu sounded more appetising tbhSpecial Features:
- Fantastic hidden restaurantDaveHDined on 9/3/2012We live so close to this but didn't know the hotel or restaurant even existed. Amazing hotel,great cocktail bar before going in for dinner. The food was good, service fantastic and the surroundings lovely. We'll definitely be going back for cocktails and would happily eat there again. Mario, our waiter, was incredibly friendly and very knowledgeable. A great restaurant.Special Features:
- Thoroughly disappointed. ElevatorOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2012Thoroughly disappointed. Elevator music, patchy service, poorly informed staff, flowers dying on tables, no care was taken preparing the food, no communication amongst staff. Certain waiting staff appeared not to understand requests at all - even something so simple as requesting balsamic vinegar which never arrived. Side dish for main course arrived after we had finished main course. Bread was forgotten. Poorly managed and run. I will actively be warning the people I know who live nearby not to go.
- Amazing service, I wasn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/3/2012Amazing service, I wasn't too sure i'd like the meat of a certain dish - so when I asked if I could pre-try a the meat -this wasn't an issue- and I was served a generous helping to 'try' (of which I then went on to order and really enjoyed my dish). Fantastic service, we had Mario as our waiter, & although running an hour late, this was not an issue for the resturant who were happy to delay our reservation. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- A very enjoyable evening,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 25/2/2012A very enjoyable evening, professional attentive staff although I don't like automatic added service charge! Delicious creative food. Lovely to be able to dress up and not feel out of place so was surprised they let people in in T'shirts spoils it for others. will go back.Special Features:
- Once again, the capabilityOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 23/2/2012Once again, the capability was fab. Lovely food and wine, excellent service. We were made to feel special, relaxed and thoroughly enjoyed the whole evening.Special Features:
- I was expecting The Capabilitymaf1Dined on 21/2/2012I was expecting The Capability to be THE NEXT great restaurant, but it has a long way to go. Sadly it has the feel of a hotel restaurant (you can almost picture people eating their eggs!). Glassware and table decor on the tables look nice though - loved the plates. Great service from Giovanni - major asset. Food was rather average and overpriced, nothing "wow" - especially a weird oily pasta (allegedly with walnuts, but all I saw was tomatoes). But cheeseboard was good, and a great wine list.
- I had the Steak, very veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 18/2/2012I had the Steak, very very nice. Be prepared for the bill though, but well worth it!Special Features:
- I visited The Capability forKBS57Dined on 18/2/2012I visited The Capability for my son's birthday and we all loved the restaurant. Service was warm and friendly and the food was wonderful. The menu is extensive enough to satisfy most people as is the wine list and they have wines at all price points though the better wines are quite extensive. The only slight issue that we had was that out Irish coffees took so long to arrive that we cancelled them. Even with this, I would highly recommend.
- Special Afternoon Tea For TwointernationalbabyDined on 12/2/2012Sunday afternoon, afternoon tea for two for our parents Pearl Anniversary, lovely table set up for the four of us to enjoy a very pleasent and special afternoon. The tea choices that are available are varied and Dayna our waitress explained all the teas for us to help us choose. The scones are simply the best, the finger sandwiches are delcious and the cakes are fresh and full of flavours. Dayna was very attentive and made us all feel so relaxed and welcomed. Great service and we look forward to coming back and trying something else.Special Features:
- The Capability London Syon'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2012The Capability London Syon's food was lovely, We went on a Wed so was very quiet, very modern and well lit which didnt make it very romantic for my husbands birthday. It is more for business people who were there for lunch or for those staying overnight at hotel like us. Service was fast, staff were very polite and helpful. Would def eat there again we really enjoyed their food.
- Not my idea of valueejcokeDined on 4/2/2012Although the service here was very good, the dining experience was let down by being over-priced and having an uninspired menu. Drinks in particular are obscenely expensive (£10 for a small glass of white wine). I'd expect a lot more vibrancy on the menu than the selections which were the equivalent of high-end gastropub classics, eg, Tiger Prawns with chilli, Waldorf salad, Fish Curry and Steak. Overall, lesson learned and I won't be returning. All perfectly pleasant, but instantly forgettable, except for the bill of £140 for 2 people having 2 courses and 2 glasses of wine.Special Features: