The Cellar Door
44-46 George the IV Bridge
Edinburgh, EH1 1EJNeighborhood:
ScottishPrice: £25 and under
The Cellar Door
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecellardooredinburgh.com/
- Phone: 01312264155x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 12pm -9.30pm
Tuesday: 12pm - 9.30pm
Wednesday: 12pm - 9.30pm
Thursday: 12pm - 10pm
Friday: 12pm - late
Saturday: 12pm -late
Sunday: 12pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Scottish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can cater for large parties in our 50 cover restaurant downstairs and are more than happy to accommodate private parties Sunday-Thursday.
A word from The Cellar Door
Having taken over the restaurant in October 2012 we are passionate about creating Scottish dishes using fresh local produce. We are a relaxed family friendly restaurant, non-pretentious offering flavoursome food served by friendly staff. Happy to accommodate any dietary requirements. We can cater for large parties in our 50 cover restaurant downstairs and are more than happy to accommodate private parties Sunday-Thursday. Combining local produce and excellent service, we can guarantee to make your experience a highly enjoyable one.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScottish
The Cellar Door - Best restaurants in Edinburgh ›
The Cellar Door reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since 19 May 2014
special occasions (55)pre/post theatre (52)romance (45)fit for foodies (35)group bookings (31)outstanding value (30)business meals (26)sunday lunch (18)good vegetarian options (9)child friendly (8)brunch (4)afternoon tea (3)disabled access (1)Show More
- NiceburtoniDined on 13/9/2014Food isalways good here. Good options for non-meat eaters.Special Features:
- Loved itlovemefoodDined on 10/9/2014Booked it as a surprise for my boyfriend as a romantic intimate meal with great food. Id never been before but i wasnt disappointed as it was a beautiful meal with outstanding service, will look forward to returning on my next trip to EdinburghSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value lunchelliemayDined on 9/9/2014Enjoyed lunch here with 4 friends. We had excellent service, good food and it was great value. We'll be back and recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful findLizzeyDined on 5/9/2014Made a booking without any previous knowledge of the place. Very pleasantly surprised. Interesting room downstairs, lovely choice of menu at reasonable prices and very helpful and friendly staff. Food was excellent. OSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchbestDined on 4/9/2014We had a most pleasant lunch with very charming service. As a consequence, before leaving, we booked for a small group on another occasionSpecial Features:
- Charming restaurantWorldTravelorDined on 2/9/2014Small downstairs restaurant with great ambiance, wonderful staff, and terrific food. I had the mussels app and salmon. Both were very flavorful and beautifully prepared. My wife the fish of the day and enjoyed it thoroughly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 28/8/2014A civilized yet relaxed atmosphere in a family friendly restaurant. Stand out dishes were the Venison which was soft and succulent, the catch of the day Plaice which was juicy and perfectly cooked with inventive and delicious acompaniments.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant - great foodFrodosFolksDined on 24/8/2014Tucked downstairs ( as the name suggests) on George IV Bridge is the lovely restaurant, the Cellar Door. We have dined there during the festival when it is heaving and also when it reverts (as Edinburgh generally does) to normal. The menu is enticing, the food is excellent and the service is very good. It is also good value in an area where it is quite possible to pay a lot for a little.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great servicechrisinberksDined on 24/8/20144 of us visited the Cellar Door for the first time for a pre theatre meal and were not disappointed. The menu had a great choice of interesting and tasty dishes and it was difficult to choose which to select. We all had something different for starters and main courses and all were very good. Beware if you order the fish and chips as you get two fish - they were lovely but a bit too much for me. Service was attentive and friendly throughout the meal - this was especially impressive given how busy they were. The atmosphere was lively, friendly and relaxed all at the same time. Definitely worth a re-visit next time we/you are in Edinburgh.Special Features:
- Disappointed with lunch serviceWendywooDined on 23/8/2014I have been twice to the restaurant recently during the festival. The first time was for dinner. The food was good and service was friendly and efficient , all round an enjoyable experience.The second time was for lunch and was quite disappointing. The scottish menu was very similar to the dinner menu and starter options available as main courses.The food was good and the waitress pleasant however three of our four main dishes arrived 75 minutes after we sat down. According to the waitress , the kitchen had forgotten about the fourth dish. An apology was given and when the food arrived it was tasty and fresh. I would recommend the place but make sure you have plenty time as service is very slow
- excellent lunchsuziemcDined on 22/8/2014The cellar door lunch menu is excellent value and the food was delicious. The service was good and i would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 16/8/2014Very easy to book for a group of 9 ! Staff was very helpful. Rib eye steak was good but cold unfortunately.Special Features:
- NiceNugohsDined on 16/8/2014Steak was amazing! Good variaty of desserts. The Room is very small and it can be very loud...Special Features:
- Robert57Dined on 16/8/2014Great food, great atmosphere, great servoice, great value........will be bacckSpecial Features:
- DisappointingTerryDined on 13/8/2014I had been for lunch in 2013 at Cellar Door with business chums and thoroughly enjoyed it. I went again for dinner a year later on 13 August 2014 and it was poor, fair at best. They made a mistake with our wine order, the fresh sea bass was a miserly portion for the price (only one small side) and it was over cooked. It was so noisy that we could hardly hear each other over a small table. I doubt if I will be back unless someone else takes us there.
- Food was good but mix up with menuLK84Dined on 9/8/2014When I booked my table at the time there was an early evening meal available, so I booked expecting to get this. However once there, we were told this did not apply during the festival, but they should have made sure that the website was updated accordingly. So was a lot more expensive that we wanted or expected to pay. Just to warn others in case this happens again.Special Features:
- CurlyKirstDined on 9/8/2014Warning they add 10% service charge to not great service. Food not that amazing.Special Features:
- Over ratedIlovefoodDined on 9/8/2014Booked a table based on reviews and location and were left a bit disappointed. The service was very slow, we were left waiting on staff for most of our visit as were various tables around us. The restaurant was fairly busy as it was during the fringe however there were plenty of staff- they just seemed to be milling around the bar area instead. We were given a very limited menu which we struggled to chose from however other diners were served various meals which did not feature on our menu? Strange as we did not realise there were other menus to chose from? Overall we felt the menu was very limited, poor choice and poor value. The food itself was fine but nothing special and not worth the money we paid.Special Features:
- birthday celebrationAB59Dined on 8/8/2014Booked table for 2 for my birthday on Friday evening 8th August. Good choice on the menu, helpful waiter service. Did not feel rushed to vacate table. Lovely modern setting, went down stairs. Very good value for money. Good bottle of wine.Special Features:
- Great nightAlisonS1953Dined on 8/8/2014We were meeting up with two American cousins, they were delighted with my choice of Restaurant and the service could not have been better. Thank you for a memorable night & a great meal which we were able to enjoy once my husband had found a parking space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buzzy atmosphere & good bistro foodGH77Dined on 8/8/2014We went here for dinner on a very busy Friday night and had quite low expectations given the 'Scottish food' tag but the food is good; big portions, comfort food well done and lovely wine. Pleased to have found this hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- melt in the mouth steakYummyDined on 8/8/2014Delicious steak. Really was 'melt in the mouth'. Haggis bonbons starter portion was perhaps a little on the large side for a starter. Good choice of dishes, not too many but something for everyone. Loved the fact you highlight gluten free options. Reasonably priced wines too. Attentive service.Special Features:
- Great FoodSmokinDazDined on 2/8/2014Booked the restaurant for a stag do and received great feedback from the rest of the group. Most of the group agreed it was one of the best steaks they ever had. They were able to accommodate an increase in the group number at a few days notice and found the servers to be very friendly. One negative point was some orders were initially given wrong such as missing chips and one of the desserts was only brought out when the staff were reminded although this was probably down to the large group size. Overall a positive experience and i plan on going again the next time i am in Edinburgh.Special Features:
- Great value lunchfalkirk52Dined on 1/8/20142nd time in about 2 months we had lovely lunch here - it's great value 2 courses for about £10. Good choices and good food. Service friendly and attentive. Right amount of food so you don't feel too full to have dessert. We had fish and chips and I had raspberry cheesecake and my husband had sticky toffee puddying - all yummy. Wine and beer choices also offers decent choice and good value.Special Features:
- 1st visit to ScotlandOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/7/2014We were in Edinburgh for the 1st time and ventured to many restaurants and pubs during our visit. The Cellar Door was very good, but not our best meal while in Scotland. I would recommend it to a friend for future visits, but it would be among a list of others. Food choices could be slightly more creative.Special Features:
- Appropriate for families onlyJustFactualDined on 26/7/2014If as part of your evening meal you are happy to be surrounded by children and the noise they make (crying, chatter, games) you don't require ambience, tentative service, good decor, or well presented food this is for you. If you are looking for thoughtfully presented food, consistency, soft lighting, statement decor and a relaxed and vibrant atmosphere try somewhere else. Food was fine. Portions large. Wine list limited but very affordable. Fillet steak excellent value.Special Features:
- great findRLEatingtourDined on 26/7/2014Friendly, great atmosphere and relaxing even though busy. Food superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spoiled by delaysManFridayDined on 25/7/2014We arrived a little early, but our table was ready for us. Wine order was taken quickly and received quickly. Menu choices were taken shortly after. So service had been very good. However, our starters didn't arrive until almost an hour after we arrived. Another long delay followed before we got our main courses. We expressed dissatisfaction and were told that the chef had "badly sprained his wrist", hence the delays with the food. We chose not to have desserts as it was getting late by now and we feared how long they may have taken to arrive, though we did have coffee. Other diners around us were suffering the same fate as us, which was a shame for the tourists and an embarrassment for us. No recompense of any sort was offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DiningBiffDined on 14/7/2014We have eaten in Edinburgh for many years at the same few restaurants so fancied a change. The Cellar Door was a real find. Can't fault the place. Great food, service and not too expensive.Special Features:
- Mixed BagOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014We went to have steaks. The Filet was excellent and cooked to my specifications. The rib-eye was thin, gristly, and a poor cut of meat. The wine was good and the waitress pleasant. Being in a cellar may be disagreeable to some.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/7/2014Food was very slow, we waited over 45 minutes for starters then they were cold. We then waited over an hour for the mains and the mash potato had like raw garlic in it and the chicken was very bland. We were given some free chips and desserts to apologise but overall it was disappointing and not what I was expecting at all. I wont return.
- Yummy Graduation CelebrationClemodDined on 4/7/2014My family had a wonderful time celebrating my daughter's Graduation. Our disabled access table for 7 was ready for our arrival. The staff were 1st class, friendly and super efficient and provided us with an excellent service throughout our visit to the restaurant. We had made our reservation for The Graduation Menu, which included a vegetarian option, we were not disappointed the food was delicious, with a special thumbs up to the "haggis bon bons". At the end of our meal, our waitress kindly assisted us with cutlery and napkins for our celebration cake too. All in all a wonderful evening of celebration, yummy food and very efficient and friendly staff. I Would certainly have no hesitation recommending the Cellar Door.Special Features:
- JoyJoyDDined on 3/7/2014We went to the Cellar Door following my sons Graduation. We were a group of 7 from young to old the food suited everyone including vegetarian. The price wasnt too bad and we had alovely time. Good friendly service. Thanks for a lovely finish to a wonderful day.Special Features:
- Perfect end to wonderful day!GraduateDined on 1/7/2014Recently graduated from Edinburgh University...has a large group to celebrate this momentous day! Glad to go to The Cellar Door to punctuate the end of a wonderful day!Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 30/6/2014Great place would recommend, great city location. Food was good, although there was long delay between starters and the main. Staff were great and very knowledgeable about the food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Saturday 21 June 2014WendyB113Dined on 21/6/2014I visited Edinburgh with my partner and parents for a special weekend, and booked The Cellar Door for dinner as it was near our hotel. The food was delicious - great quality and very reasonably priced - and we were also impressed with the very welcoming and helpful staff. I have already recommended this restaurant to friends, and would definitely go back. Thank you for a lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late LunchAnnoDined on 20/6/2014If you are having a late lunch here than make sure you have nothing on for the rest of the day as the service is very very slow, food was good but not worth the wait.
- Good overall, no 20% discount tho!GezzerDined on 25/5/2014Food and atmosphere was generally good, steak was well cooked. We didn't receive the 20% discount off our mains we were supposed to get from booking through open table though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/5/2014That was our meal and our service, lovely Scottish menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charlotteDined on 26/4/2014Great food, good value for money and very friendly staff. The only downside is that the room being with high ceiling, it is quite noisy. Would definitely recommend though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.