The Cellar Door
44-46 George the IV Bridge
Edinburgh, EH1 1EJNeighbourhood:
ScottishPrice: £25 and under
The Cellar Door
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecellardooredinburgh.com/
- Phone: 01312264155x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 12pm -9.30pm
Tuesday: 12pm - 9.30pm
Wednesday: 12pm - 9.30pm
Thursday: 12pm - 10pm
Friday: 12pm - late
Saturday: 12pm -late
Sunday: 12pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Scottish, Modern European, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can cater for large parties in our 50 cover restaurant downstairs and are more than happy to accommodate private parties Sunday-Thursday.
A word from The Cellar Door
Having taken over the restaurant in October 2012 we are passionate about creating Scottish dishes using fresh local produce. We are a relaxed family friendly restaurant, non-pretentious offering flavoursome food served by friendly staff. Happy to accommodate any dietary requirements. We can cater for large parties in our 50 cover restaurant downstairs and are more than happy to accommodate private parties Sunday-Thursday. Combining local produce and excellent service, we can guarantee to make your experience a highly enjoyable one.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScottish
The Cellar Door - Best restaurants in Edinburgh ›
The Cellar Door reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since 30 October 2013
special occasions (57)pre/post theatre (48)romance (46)fit for foodies (35)group bookings (34)outstanding value (30)business meals (25)sunday lunch (20)good vegetarian options (9)child friendly (7)brunch (5)afternoon tea (3)disabled access (1)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- wonderful delightful mealStone78Dined on 24/10/2014We arrived at the restaurant on time and were seated straight away. The waitress was quick and efficient with taking our order and providing our drinks. We had an entree instead of starters which were chunky potato chips that were warm to dip in a choice of two dips these were lovely and set us up for our main course. We chose the venison and steak meal and both tasted wonderful. We chose a dessert too i had sticky toffee pudding and my husband had the cheesecake again lovely and just the right amount. The service throughout was efficient and friendly and the price of the food wasn't too expensive. I couldn't have asked for a better experience and would gladly rebook on our return to Edinburgh again. Many thanks to The Cellar DoorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small but PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/10/2014We chose the set menu offer but still had lots of choice and were able to pick and mix where necessary from the A la Carte menu. I had Cullen Skink as a main but was listed as a starter . Service was friendly and helpful. Would strongly recommend the restaurant but especially the home made sticky toffee pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLisabellegDined on 17/10/2014We had a lovely meal here which was the second time I'd visited, the first with my girlfriends the second with my husband. My husband is notoriously fussy and always finds something to moan about but he loved it and said it was the best meal he's had in a long time!! Good value too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelycLHGDined on 4/10/2014Beautiful meal in nice surroundings. Looks very underwhelming from outside and probably would've passed by had we not been recommended but main area downstairs was much larger. Food was lovely and all four of us enjoyed it; we each had a different item off the menu. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 27/9/2014We are steak lovers and were unable to get into our usual haunts so following the excellent online reviews decided to give The Cellar Door a try......we are so glad we did! Restaurant has a lovely ambience, the staff were all friendly and attentive (even though every table was taken) and the food was excellent, the Haggis Bon Bons are a must, our steaks were cooked to our likening and was disappointed not to have room for desert and the choices sounded amazing. We felt that the restaurant was priced competively and had the edge as the steak price includes your sides unlike other well know steak restaraunts. Well worth a visit will be adding to our local list now!Special Features:
- A welcome returnASmith032VIPDined on 27/9/2014Booked a table for lunch with friends from out-of-town - great selection on the two courses for £9.95 menu, great price for a bottle of prosecco and a warm & attentive service from the staff, despite how busy it was.Special Features:
- A Scottish MealOldscenesrevisitedDined on 21/9/2014Very Scottish menu with a broad variety. The service was OK but needed a bit of chasing up particularly at paying the bill time. BUT my Italian companion thought it was excellent and it was her introduction to eating out in the capital - so really from her a 'bravo!'.Special Features:
- Good food, noisy restaurantSJWrDined on 20/9/2014We had very friendly, efficient service and all 6 in our party had good food. It is noisy, however, and my elderly father found it hard to hear any of the conversation. Limited wine list. Overall an enjoyable meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good.ItaliangluttonDined on 19/9/2014I appreciate the crew courtesy and the good food. Starter (Salt and pepper squid with aioli and garnish) was well-cooked, soft and not chewy. Main course (Baked fillet of scottish salmon with a sesame and corander crust, pak choi and noodles in miso broth) was a good surprise. It was the first time I tasted a thai dish. I chose well.Special Features:
- NiceburtoniDined on 13/9/2014Food isalways good here. Good options for non-meat eaters.Special Features:
- Loved itlovemefoodDined on 10/9/2014Booked it as a surprise for my boyfriend as a romantic intimate meal with great food. Id never been before but i wasnt disappointed as it was a beautiful meal with outstanding service, will look forward to returning on my next trip to EdinburghSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value lunchelliemayDined on 9/9/2014Enjoyed lunch here with 4 friends. We had excellent service, good food and it was great value. We'll be back and recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful findLizzeyDined on 5/9/2014Made a booking without any previous knowledge of the place. Very pleasantly surprised. Interesting room downstairs, lovely choice of menu at reasonable prices and very helpful and friendly staff. Food was excellent. OSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchbestDined on 4/9/2014We had a most pleasant lunch with very charming service. As a consequence, before leaving, we booked for a small group on another occasionSpecial Features:
- Charming restaurantWorldTravelorDined on 2/9/2014Small downstairs restaurant with great ambiance, wonderful staff, and terrific food. I had the mussels app and salmon. Both were very flavorful and beautifully prepared. My wife the fish of the day and enjoyed it thoroughly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 28/8/2014A civilized yet relaxed atmosphere in a family friendly restaurant. Stand out dishes were the Venison which was soft and succulent, the catch of the day Plaice which was juicy and perfectly cooked with inventive and delicious acompaniments.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant - great foodFrodosFolksDined on 24/8/2014Tucked downstairs ( as the name suggests) on George IV Bridge is the lovely restaurant, the Cellar Door. We have dined there during the festival when it is heaving and also when it reverts (as Edinburgh generally does) to normal. The menu is enticing, the food is excellent and the service is very good. It is also good value in an area where it is quite possible to pay a lot for a little.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great servicechrisinberksDined on 24/8/20144 of us visited the Cellar Door for the first time for a pre theatre meal and were not disappointed. The menu had a great choice of interesting and tasty dishes and it was difficult to choose which to select. We all had something different for starters and main courses and all were very good. Beware if you order the fish and chips as you get two fish - they were lovely but a bit too much for me. Service was attentive and friendly throughout the meal - this was especially impressive given how busy they were. The atmosphere was lively, friendly and relaxed all at the same time. Definitely worth a re-visit next time we/you are in Edinburgh.Special Features:
- Disappointed with lunch serviceWendywooDined on 23/8/2014I have been twice to the restaurant recently during the festival. The first time was for dinner. The food was good and service was friendly and efficient , all round an enjoyable experience.The second time was for lunch and was quite disappointing. The scottish menu was very similar to the dinner menu and starter options available as main courses.The food was good and the waitress pleasant however three of our four main dishes arrived 75 minutes after we sat down. According to the waitress , the kitchen had forgotten about the fourth dish. An apology was given and when the food arrived it was tasty and fresh. I would recommend the place but make sure you have plenty time as service is very slow
- excellent lunchsuziemcDined on 22/8/2014The cellar door lunch menu is excellent value and the food was delicious. The service was good and i would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 16/8/2014Very easy to book for a group of 9 ! Staff was very helpful. Rib eye steak was good but cold unfortunately.Special Features:
- NiceNugohsDined on 16/8/2014Steak was amazing! Good variaty of desserts. The Room is very small and it can be very loud...Special Features:
- Robert57Dined on 16/8/2014Great food, great atmosphere, great servoice, great value........will be bacckSpecial Features:
- DisappointingTerryDined on 13/8/2014I had been for lunch in 2013 at Cellar Door with business chums and thoroughly enjoyed it. I went again for dinner a year later on 13 August 2014 and it was poor, fair at best. They made a mistake with our wine order, the fresh sea bass was a miserly portion for the price (only one small side) and it was over cooked. It was so noisy that we could hardly hear each other over a small table. I doubt if I will be back unless someone else takes us there.
- Food was good but mix up with menuLK84Dined on 9/8/2014When I booked my table at the time there was an early evening meal available, so I booked expecting to get this. However once there, we were told this did not apply during the festival, but they should have made sure that the website was updated accordingly. So was a lot more expensive that we wanted or expected to pay. Just to warn others in case this happens again.Special Features:
- CurlyKirstDined on 9/8/2014Warning they add 10% service charge to not great service. Food not that amazing.Special Features:
- Over ratedIlovefoodDined on 9/8/2014Booked a table based on reviews and location and were left a bit disappointed. The service was very slow, we were left waiting on staff for most of our visit as were various tables around us. The restaurant was fairly busy as it was during the fringe however there were plenty of staff- they just seemed to be milling around the bar area instead. We were given a very limited menu which we struggled to chose from however other diners were served various meals which did not feature on our menu? Strange as we did not realise there were other menus to chose from? Overall we felt the menu was very limited, poor choice and poor value. The food itself was fine but nothing special and not worth the money we paid.Special Features:
- birthday celebrationAB59Dined on 8/8/2014Booked table for 2 for my birthday on Friday evening 8th August. Good choice on the menu, helpful waiter service. Did not feel rushed to vacate table. Lovely modern setting, went down stairs. Very good value for money. Good bottle of wine.Special Features:
- Great nightAlisonS1953Dined on 8/8/2014We were meeting up with two American cousins, they were delighted with my choice of Restaurant and the service could not have been better. Thank you for a memorable night & a great meal which we were able to enjoy once my husband had found a parking space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buzzy atmosphere & good bistro foodGH77Dined on 8/8/2014We went here for dinner on a very busy Friday night and had quite low expectations given the 'Scottish food' tag but the food is good; big portions, comfort food well done and lovely wine. Pleased to have found this hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- melt in the mouth steakYummyDined on 8/8/2014Delicious steak. Really was 'melt in the mouth'. Haggis bonbons starter portion was perhaps a little on the large side for a starter. Good choice of dishes, not too many but something for everyone. Loved the fact you highlight gluten free options. Reasonably priced wines too. Attentive service.Special Features:
- Great FoodSmokinDazDined on 2/8/2014Booked the restaurant for a stag do and received great feedback from the rest of the group. Most of the group agreed it was one of the best steaks they ever had. They were able to accommodate an increase in the group number at a few days notice and found the servers to be very friendly. One negative point was some orders were initially given wrong such as missing chips and one of the desserts was only brought out when the staff were reminded although this was probably down to the large group size. Overall a positive experience and i plan on going again the next time i am in Edinburgh.Special Features:
- Great value lunchfalkirk52Dined on 1/8/20142nd time in about 2 months we had lovely lunch here - it's great value 2 courses for about £10. Good choices and good food. Service friendly and attentive. Right amount of food so you don't feel too full to have dessert. We had fish and chips and I had raspberry cheesecake and my husband had sticky toffee puddying - all yummy. Wine and beer choices also offers decent choice and good value.Special Features:
- 1st visit to ScotlandOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 30/7/2014We were in Edinburgh for the 1st time and ventured to many restaurants and pubs during our visit. The Cellar Door was very good, but not our best meal while in Scotland. I would recommend it to a friend for future visits, but it would be among a list of others. Food choices could be slightly more creative.Special Features:
- Appropriate for families onlyJustFactualDined on 26/7/2014If as part of your evening meal you are happy to be surrounded by children and the noise they make (crying, chatter, games) you don't require ambience, tentative service, good decor, or well presented food this is for you. If you are looking for thoughtfully presented food, consistency, soft lighting, statement decor and a relaxed and vibrant atmosphere try somewhere else. Food was fine. Portions large. Wine list limited but very affordable. Fillet steak excellent value.Special Features:
- great findRLEatingtourVIPDined on 26/7/2014Friendly, great atmosphere and relaxing even though busy. Food superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spoiled by delaysManFridayDined on 25/7/2014We arrived a little early, but our table was ready for us. Wine order was taken quickly and received quickly. Menu choices were taken shortly after. So service had been very good. However, our starters didn't arrive until almost an hour after we arrived. Another long delay followed before we got our main courses. We expressed dissatisfaction and were told that the chef had "badly sprained his wrist", hence the delays with the food. We chose not to have desserts as it was getting late by now and we feared how long they may have taken to arrive, though we did have coffee. Other diners around us were suffering the same fate as us, which was a shame for the tourists and an embarrassment for us. No recompense of any sort was offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DiningBiffDined on 14/7/2014We have eaten in Edinburgh for many years at the same few restaurants so fancied a change. The Cellar Door was a real find. Can't fault the place. Great food, service and not too expensive.Special Features:
- Mixed BagOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014We went to have steaks. The Filet was excellent and cooked to my specifications. The rib-eye was thin, gristly, and a poor cut of meat. The wine was good and the waitress pleasant. Being in a cellar may be disagreeable to some.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/7/2014Food was very slow, we waited over 45 minutes for starters then they were cold. We then waited over an hour for the mains and the mash potato had like raw garlic in it and the chicken was very bland. We were given some free chips and desserts to apologise but overall it was disappointing and not what I was expecting at all. I wont return.