51-53 High Street
Marlow, SL7 1BANeighbourhood:
SteakPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 01628 482053
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 12:00PM - 03:00PM; Friday - Sunday: 12:00PM - 06:00PM,
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 06:00PM - 11:00PM; Friday - Saturday: 06:00PM - 11:00PM; Sunday: 06:00PM - 09:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Steak
- Executive Chef: Zach Scheepers
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from The Chequers
THE CHEQUERS Pub and Kitchen is part of the Brakspear pub co Our dedication to providing a quality venue will mean an unrivalled dining experience featuring good food and tailored easy service. Our Butcher counter steak offer is guaranteed to tease your senses and our complete menu ensures that there is something for everyone. Set in a historic location in this picture postcard English town, THE CHEQUERS will not disappoint. Our Tap room bar as well as the long bar will provide all liquid refreshments you may wish for and our wine list has been tailored to the menu for your enjoyment. Come on in and let us entertain you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Chequers - Best restaurants in Marlow ›
The Chequers reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since 23 November 2013
special occasions (39)fit for foodies (31)business meals (30)group bookings (28)sunday lunch (21)romance (15)outstanding value (12)brunch (7)child friendly (7)good vegetarian options (5)outdoor eating (1)afternoon tea (1)disabled access (1)pre/post theatre (1)Show More
- Simply HeavenilovechocolateDined on 20/11/2014We went for lunch, my friend had the sea bass which she said was wonderful and I chose a fillet steak. I must say, the fillet steak was probably the best steak I have ever had in my life!! It was so tender the knife sliced through it like it was butter and it literally melted in the mouth, absolutely superb. We ended up sharing a banoffee pie and this was equally gorgeous.......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cathy14Dined on 18/11/2014My family went to Chequers to celebrate my sons 24th Birthday, it was a Tuesday and though not overly crowded it had a great ambience. The service was very good and the food was excellent. I though very good v alue for money. Wine was a bit pricey but overall it was a great experience enhanced by the staff coming out with a slice of cakeand singing happy birthday...it made the night. We were all delighted with the evening. I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mouthwatering steakMattDined on 8/11/2014We come here probably 4 or 5 times a year. The fillet steak is to die for. My wife had the Sea bass and loved it. The only slight criticism was that the Mash could have been a little hotter. The staff were great and friendly. Looking forward to going there again very soon! I could eat there every day! Would recommend it to any oneSpecial Features:
- GoodComedineDined on 26/10/2014Steak was lovely, melted in your mouth!! Staff friendly and happy to leave you alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 26/10/2014The Sunday lunches are tops, they also run their full menu so there is choice for everyone. They also welcome children and offer a childs roast portion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 24/10/2014We have eaten at The Chequers on a number of occaisons and have always been incredibly impressed with the food which is excellent especially the steaks! The staff are very friendly, efficient and polite and we will definitley eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business or PleasureMichelleVDined on 14/10/2014Have known Chequers for around 10 years. It used to be very pubby and rough around the edges. It is now transformed. Menu and food is great, as is the service. I have used Chequers for big team dinners 14+ and they were brilliant, they had notes of our names and menus choices and remembered who was who and our choices just arrived in front of us. I have also used Chequers for quiet Business suppers. Just great. One teeny thing, I know its a steak house but as a v eggie it would be nice to have a couple more dishes. The ones they have are truly great but I have now exhausted the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal with the familySibbsDined on 12/10/2014We have been to The Chequers several times and the food has always been good quality. This time we came with the family and everyone enjoyed their meal. The wine selection was good and I think the menu is reasonable value for a central Marlow restaurant.Special Features:
- Not great service and average foodKlioneDined on 11/10/2014The service was extremely poor, we waited with empty glasses for half evening, never got offered desert menu and the food quality was average. Will for sure not rush back!Special Features:
- Good place to eat in MarlowmcwatsonDined on 4/10/2014First time I've eaten here, very nice food, good menu to choose from. Layout and atmosphere was nice and the value was okay. Good service by the young waiter & waitress. Only slight quibble was who we believed to be the mgr seemed to take slight offence that we didn't go for a full meal choice. As 2 couples heading out for a few drinks, we wanted to eat first but not stuff ourselves. So we chose 2 lots of sharing platters, 2 starters and a side dish all as a main meal. Bill still came to £75 with drinks but on serving the food, the guy delivering it said, "Ya come to a Steak Restaurant and choose to have Tapas, great". Not sure if he was being humorous or sarcastic but as he chose to bring it out instead of the waiter, assuming the latter.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as first timeAng23Dined on 3/10/2014This was my second visit and the food and service was the polar opposite of what I experienced the first time. Half the steak was fat and it did not have a great flavour. Waiters had to be called most of the time when we wanted anything.Special Features:
- Excellent steaksShortieDined on 27/9/2014Very good evening. Fantastic steaks. Good size portions. Great, helpful, friendly staff. Would definately recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ang23Dined on 27/9/2014Great steak and menu options. Can't wait to go back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal - will def.be back.happyeatersDined on 30/8/2014A lovely meal with steaks done to perfection - great that we were able to chose our steak and have it cut exactly to the size we wanted.Special Features:
- Wonderful!KaytwoVIPDined on 29/8/2014I can only say that I am absolutely delighted with the outstanding food and service the Chequers delivers time after time. It is just marvellous to see my husband eating his steak with his eyes closed- from sheer pleasure. I like my fillet steak just with a baked sweet potatoe and the tomatosalad with red onions. Love it! We will come back :)
- Good steaksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 24/8/2014Chose this restaurant because of its good steak reviews and we weren't disappointed. We selected our cut and size from the meat counter, and it arrived cooked perfectly with sauce, chips, mushrooms & tomatoes. Delicious. A creme brulee for dessert was also spectacular and the service terrific too. Great pub that takes food seriously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KESTRELDined on 23/8/2014FIRST TIME VISIT AND LOVED IT , GREAT FOOD AND SERVICE , WILL USE AGAIN SOON . MANY THANKSSpecial Features:
- Excellent food, great steaksClassycrumpetDined on 9/8/2014Really a truly lovely meal. Steaks out of this world, cooked to perfection and the secret glaze is amazing. The first impressions from the outside of the pub does not look inviting but once inside all changes. Staff were welcoming and cheerful. We dined at around 7pm so was rather quiet but 8.30/9 it was buzzing. Butchers choice is worth every penny. To be able to see and pick your choice of steak is cool and adds that little difference to other restaurants and the price is very reasonable. In fact worked out a little cheaper than what was on the menu! All in all would definitely recommend. My husband is a steak man and is delighted we have now found the ideal place. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We love this restaurant and have been going since it opened. Sadly this is the 2nd visit that was disappointing, although offered a reduction in our bill for the problems it was our anniversary night out and after a similar experience on my birthday, sadly we won't be risking taking friends again. Such a shame when you look forward to dining out.Special Features:
- DisappointingLisacDined on 31/7/2014Very disappointing no atmosphere far too much salt on the over cooked chips. Pub was nice but restaurant bit grimy and lacking in atmosphere
- Lovely mealKatesviewDined on 25/7/2014This is my 2nd visit to the Chequers and I'll certainly be going again. Friendly and attentive staff, really lovely food, went with my Mum who is quick to pick up on anything negative and she said it was the best steak she'd had in years.Special Features:
- Butchers blockPeteDined on 19/7/2014Pretty reliable. Fun to have steaks cut at a butchers block, but I always end up with the same so novelty value fades. Good value meat, sides decent but could be better (chips a bit dry, creamed spinach too creamy, baked beetroot too big). Room at back more fun, room in front merges into bar area too easily yet feels a bit stiff.Special Features:
- Great Food!Luv2EatDined on 15/7/2014As usual, the food was great, and the choice of sides and sauces makes a change from the norm. Quailty Steaks. I'll be booking again for our anniversary dinner as I have previously done for the last 3 years running.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and great steakCharliex1979Dined on 5/7/2014Love Chequers and always have done for the last 4 years since moving down from Manchester. After a few disappointing steaks elsewhere we decided to splash out on a meal where we knew we would get quality. And quality is what we got. Don't mind spending a bit extra to get my ribeye from the Butchers Block and it was cooked to perfection as always. The only minor gripe is that the portions of sauce seem to have got smaller and when I asked for meow was told I would have to pay for a new one. Great experience overall however. Will be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great steak & ale pie.johntieDined on 26/6/2014Good quality food, served quickly. I highly recommend the ale pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LushlovetoeatDined on 13/6/2014good food and good atmosphere I know this is a steak house bit the fish is fantastic Staff were great will be backSpecial Features:
- Great Night OutRascalDined on 13/6/2014Great restaurant and a fantastic meal once again, staff are very friendly and you always get some humour and banter. We use this restaurant frequently and would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Good timesYumsDined on 30/5/2014Went to chequers on Friday night as a couple. It was busy but we were seated at our booked table straight away even though we were early. The service was a little slow and my husbands drink was forgotten twice but the staff were very pleasant. At 9pm the live band started in the bar area which were really good and I enjoyed but were very loud which made talking over dinner a bit difficult. As the restaurant emptied we were asked if we wanted to move to a quieter spot but we were nearly finished by then anyway. The food was really good, although my goats cheese starter was very cold, the cheese should have been warmer and they had to return our garlic bread to add the cheese requested. My husbands steak was delicious though! We'll go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLittleMarlovianDined on 17/5/2014I was very disappointed with the whole experience. I had previously eaten there before, and was really looking forward to my meal. However the service was very poor, we waited an awfully long time to even order our food let alone receive it. And when it did arrive it was not what was ordered, but we had waited so long we ate it anyway. Plus no-one bothered to ask if all was ok so we weren't in a position to tell anyone it was not. The food was actually very nice, just a shame the sevice was such a let down.
- RACIST ASSISTANT MANAGERJSBR32Dined on 3/5/2014I walked in with a friend on the 3rd of May 2014 at 9.45pm and was approached by the assistant manager stating they were fully booked for the night. However I could clearly see three vacant tables. We walked out got into our car and went onto the opentable website, were I proceeded to book a table at Chequers for 10pm. We both walked back in at 9.55pm and surprise surprise we were seated by another employee! The assistant manager walked passed and went bright red in the face. From my perspective he did not want to seat us due to the fact he is a racist and we were the only brown people in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent mealBazzaDined on 3/5/2014Fantastic meal, the service was great and staff very friendly. I have eaten at The Chequers quite a few times and have never had a bad meal there. I will certainly be going back!Special Features:
- MikeDined on 1/5/2014Lunched at The Chequers for the second time - the starters were large and the Steak was very good indeed.MKSpecial Features:
- Great Lunch VenueLambchopDined on 19/4/2014Great place for good value Lunch or in the evening a good steakSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice meal, shame about the wineEBloodaxeDined on 19/4/2014Good experience in pleasant, but busy surroundings. Food of a uniformly high quality and well prepared. Neither of us had a steak, which the restaurant specializes in, but the duck was of an excellent quality and cooked correctly. Accompanying elements seemed well chosen. The let down in the evening was the wine - I guess most diners focus on beer and other drinks rather than wine, so the list is not that important to the business. The whole list seemed very expensive for the wines being served. The NZ Pinot Noir was light (as promised) - but so light that it lacked any depth of flavour or length. Certainly not worth the price on the list. Overall though a pleasant evening with memorable food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary MealfirstclasslassDined on 12/4/2014We were recommended this restaurant for their steak menu and it didn't disappoint in terms of selection. However, we had prebooked and requested an more romantic area of the restaurant only to be sat in the middle of a busy thoroughfare. We were served quickly but it felt more like a Waitress style MacDonalds than a £100 meal for two and to be frank it just didn't cut the mustard. Food was ok, steaks to be fair cooked to our requests but we were in and out on a two course meal in less than an hour. The ambience was more like a café not a quality restaurant and we felt we could have got a better deal eating in a local pub rather than this expensive establishment that just didn't know where to sit in the food marketplace.
- Lost it's personalityOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2014This restaurant used to be special in that it served amazing steak as part of a good meal in a lovely buzzy environment. This visit it seemed like they had gone for the 'mass market'. The restaurant was strictly filled row by row and whilst the steak was still very good, everything else had a pre-prepped mass produced feel. Steak used to be served with huge tasty mushroom and tomatoes but these were replaced with tiny cold tasteless ones. Kids burger bun was stale. Even though the waiting staff were friendly and helpful they were more 'Harvester' than specialist pub. Probably cross this one off our list of regular favourites.
- Not BrilliantmichelangeloVIPDined on 6/4/2014Had a meal here after reading mixed reviews. Staff very friendly and went for steaks, although no rump left. Opted for ribeye and sirloin. Steaks were ok but covered in thick sauce which wasn't needed as had chosen sauces anyway. These were terrible! I chose peppercorn which normally love. Came in little pot that had obviously been kept warm and had a thick skin on it. Extremely thick and gloopy with no taste at all. Other spifor cy one little better. It is just a pub, so no ambience, views or even windows. All this would be okay IF it hadn't been for the price. Had eaten a fabulous meal the night before at Searcy's Gin joint and there was hardly any difference in price. Don't think it is worth going back to.
- Great venueLS12Dined on 22/3/2014Food presentation was a little disappointing compared to usual - perhaps because we ate late, but the service was impeccable and the venue is fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We lunched here and the steaksMikeDined on 17/3/2014We lunched here and the steaks were excellent. The place was a surprise as from the outside it looked like a pub but inside it was spacious and nicely lId out. We will return. MKSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodMarkajtDined on 15/3/2014Steaks were superb and service very friendly. Ambience was great too, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.