The Chequers - Bath
50 Rivers Street
Bath, BA1 2QANeighbourhood:
Gastro PubPrice: £25 and under
The Chequers - Bath
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thechequersbath.com/
- Phone: 01225 360017
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm and Sunday: 12:00pm - 6:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Leigh Evans
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our upstairs restaurant offers an intimate private dining experience with effortless service & exceptional food. We'll happily create a bespoke menu tailored to your party’s needs. Our chefs use the finest local and seasonal produce to create beautifully presented dishes.
- Private Party Contact: Jon Hutchings 01225360017
A word from The Chequers - Bath
The Chequers is a beautifully restored gastropub that serves high quality home cooked food, in a friendly pub atmosphere. Welcoming chalk boards display a tempting range of great tasting home prepared dishes & inventive pub classics. The Sunday roast is legendary and won the Bath Good Food Award for best Sunday lunch in Bath. Add to that a great wine list and a selection of well kept local ciders and ales and you have The Chequers. We're located just a short walk from some of Bath's most famous landmarks – the Circus and the Royal Crescent. So whether you live or work locally, or are a visitor to Bath, you're equally welcome and we look forward to seeing you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Chequers - Bath - Best restaurants in Bath ›
The Chequers - Bath reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since 28 November 2013
sunday lunch (70)fit for foodies (65)special occasions (53)romance (30)group bookings (18)business meals (16)outstanding value (15)pre/post theatre (13)good vegetarian options (10)child friendly (9)brunch (8)outdoor eating (6)disabled access (5)afternoon tea (1)Show More
- Sunday lunch with friends from other places!BeerBoyDined on 23/11/2014Friends son at Bath Spa, met for Sunday lunch with family and friends from Herefordshire and Kent. Near the city centre though able to park 1pm(Just). The atmosphere is lively and the service is very attentive without being intrusive. I booked online with Opentable which had to be changed several times with the growing group. This cased no problems, were sat in the perfect position downstairs near the door and bar. Good, straightforward choice of Sunday lunch including a very good vegetarian option. All bar one went for the roast beef, served rare. It came out in a timely fashion, a mountainous plate of very well prepared meat, the veg was superb and broad in range with possibly the largest Yorkshire pud ever seen. The beef was cooked to perfection, the veg also and a very good selection of condiments. We were all so full there was no room for pudding, it was decided a walk into the City was required. Not a bad thing, now I am forced to return to try the pudding and starters and the fine looking win list. The Chequers was a wonderful recommendation from my cousins in Bath, I know recommend it you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing serviceManderlouDined on 22/11/2014We arrived and was just pointed to our table by a busy barman. While choosing drinks the waitress seemed to lack knowledge. While ordering our meal again lack of knowledge of the food. Once ordered we were then told they had run out of the main dish on the main menu at 7.30pm. The starter were out of this world followed by a disappointing over cooked slightly burnt and pink inside main course which was hard to cut and chew. The dessert again was amazing.. The chef must be talented but over worked like the front of house staff. An investment of quality front of house would go a long way!
- amazing birthdaySophieDined on 22/11/2014I took my boyfriend hear for his birthday abd we both loved it! A great small menu, not over complicate and all delisious food. Got a bit noisy towards the end of our meal as it suddenly got very busy. But it was a saturday night. Amazing time and will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chequers foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/11/2014Very nice food but quite pricey considering it is just a pub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best Sunday roast in Bath...I've tried heaps!DdubdrahcirDined on 16/11/2014This is a really good roast, and a decent size. You do pay a little more than other places - roast beef is £16.50 - but the portions are good and everything on the pate is excellent. If you can, book to sit downstairs in the pub. Upstairs is a bit fine dining and you'll feel out of place with a pint. It's fine if you're on the vino and into quilted jackets, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LianeLianitaDined on 9/11/2014A favourite for Sunday roast, try to get a table downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Madame3SausageDined on 9/11/2014A brilliant Sunday roast. Incredible beef and delicious nut roast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice, beautifully presentedFranDined on 8/11/2014I one the fact that you can order something quite fancy and expensive or something plainer and cheapish, like venison or a burger. The food is cooked in unusual ways and presentation is a delight. The puds are particularly wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bath favouriteSandy2Dined on 1/11/2014Four of us went to The Chequers for saturday lunch before a rugby match. We all had fish and chips - always excellent here - and four different puddings although we had not intended to have these after the large main course. Of the puddings the new slant on blackberry and apple was the stand out dish. A regular haunt of ours, The Chequers kept up its usual high standard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 31/10/2014Chequers is a great gastro pub - up there with the best!Special Features:
- Wonderful foodNicijDined on 31/10/2014The menu had so many delicious sounding options it was difficult to choose. We all really enjoyed the meal. The food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly efficient and informalNorisDined on 30/10/2014The food was of high quality and the atmosphere was relaxed and unpretentious. The restaurant created a thoroughly enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- The Chequers, BathHusandwifey3Dined on 28/10/2014Excellent high class food in simple pub/restaurant setting with very interesting menus options and with excellent service and speed of delivery. Altogether an excellent venue and eating experience my wife and I will remember for a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 27/10/2014Lovely ham terrine to start with some deconstructed piccalilli and green puree's. My Cornish hake main was tasty but i'd have liked a couple more bites, more of a starter sized fillet. My wife's pork with quince was also good and much more of a main course. Disappointing choice of desserts, just four on the menu one of which they'd sold out of at 8pm? Nice and well described wine list. Attentive and pleasant staff.
- Good food in BathOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 25/10/2014Excellent food, good atmosphere. Easily walkable from Bath centre so not mega busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/10/2014Really enjoyed our evening at The Chequers. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatest Gastro pub in BathMrsHDined on 16/10/2014Great ambiance and service tucked away just behind Royal Crescent - the food was wonderful and really stands out in a city of average restaurants - lamb scotch egg starter was excellent and I had what was surely one of the best steaks I've ever had - definitely on par with the Hudson, which is going it some. My husband had the game pie which not only tasted marvellous, but looked like a work of art. Its such a great place, would recommend to everyone.Special Features:
- Best Sunday Lunch Ever!Richleeson84Dined on 12/10/2014This is the most amazing Sunday lunch I have ever had-which means something as I have had a fair few in my time!!! Every element on the plate was delicious. The staff were extremely welcoming and the pub itself a lovely environment. I thoroughly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply amazingFrodo2001Dined on 12/10/2014I read a review for Bath, as a last minute idea for something to do when my plans had changed at the weekend. This place had some good reviews so I thought I would give it a try. It most definitely did not let us down! The food was ranked as one of the best Sunday roasts I've had! The only negative comment is they were so busy they forgot a couple of times that we needed to pay, if that is the only criticism then I would say we found a little gem in this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingicejunkyDined on 5/10/2014had Sunday lunch last week amongst uncontrollable children ( not ours) and roast potatoes which tasted warmed up, cold greens but delicious roast beef. service unattentive . I used to love Sunday lunch here but for the money they now charge it's been reduced to " pub grub". There are better paces now for Sunday lunch with better atmosphere.
- Fantastic Gastro Pubdmwright77Dined on 4/10/2014The Chequers is a gem of a place tucked away on a classic Georgian side street in Bath. From the moment you set foot in the door, you are greeted with welcoming friendliness. Set in a typical gastro pub layout, Chequers is perfect for dinner for two, to a special birthday or family occasion. Definitely on our list to visit again, and a small tip is that you must have the Venison, served in a very original way.Special Features:
- Good food from a mixed bunch.DantheWattsDined on 28/9/2014The location and style of The Chequers was pretty much as expected, perfect! This pub came highly recommended so I probably expected a little more smile with the service. When we first entered it was as though the staff didn't want to be there.. A young waitress with long hair was infact nothing but negative. In the end a young lad took our orders and we remained ordering from him, he cracked a smile and was nice. The food was outstanding as far as Sunday roasts go and just before we were leaving an older man started his shift and the whole place seemed a little more service orientated and buzzy. Its a shame the younger staff don't have his buzz and energy for this lovely little place. 5 star food and would chance a return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Sunday Roast!bensDined on 28/9/2014After reading various reviews recommending The Chequers for Sunday Lunch, we decided to give it a go and book a table. Good job we did, as all tables had already been reserved. Service was efficient, food was excellent, definitely up there with the best roasts.Special Features:
- It's been a while...denofthedenDined on 20/9/2014...since I have gone out with friends to a restaurant that I didn't know and come away feeling entirely satisfied with the venue, meal and price. Absolutely loved our meal here - great options, good wine list and friendly, laid back staff. Would definitely go again if in the area and we are still talking about the lemon dessert....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding food and eveningchefross1983Dined on 27/8/2014We booked the day before we ate, it was a special occasion as I had just got married a couple of days before. My and my new wife work and have worked in the cafering industry and were blown away by the quality of food and service I requested for a bottle of fizz to be on the table and it was brought over as soon as we sat which was fantastic. We ordered our starters and mains and when the startees arrived we both knew we were in for some top food. The starter's and mains were presented and cooked by a chef at the top of there game, the dessert I had blew me away the different contrasts amd textures of lemon were fantastic and the olive oil cake was beautifully moist. With two rosettes already I cant see it being long before they have threeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sandy2Sandy2Dined on 26/8/2014Visit this restaurant fairly frequently - this time it was up to its usual high standard. Our guests were particularly impressed with the scallops (although pricey) and the duck tart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CreamyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 24/8/2014Went for a Sunday roast and was OK, but I'm not a big fan of creamy textures and everything was covered in it, although my wife is and she loved it, so horses for coursesSpecial Features:
- Sunday lunchBeano16Dined on 17/8/2014Had sunday lunch here on 4 day visit to bath. Great food, lovely atmosphere/decor and friendly staff. Would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good SupperSandy2Dined on 8/8/2014We visit the Chequers about once or twice a month - usually for supper, occasionally for lunch. Pleasant atmosphere and good informal service. Local beers are stocked and the management are flexible about ordering 2 x starters rather than starter and main course if that is preferred. The food is of a consistently good standard and the menu mixes gastro pub usuals with more imaginative fare. It is popular with locals and you need to book for supper if you want to ensure getting table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PanjoVIPDined on 6/8/2014so many places to eat in Bath - very nice pub and good enough gastro grub but nothing to write home aboutSpecial Features:
- Well worth a visitFVN1Dined on 3/8/2014Exceptional food and service! Our waitress Nicola was friendly, had a good knowledge of the food on offer and made sure we were looked after very well. The food was of a great strandard, one of the best gastro pubs in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected Much Delivered LittleUnhappyDinerDined on 3/8/2014Visited Chequers on Sunday as read it had been voted one of the best Sunday Lunches in Bath. Made to wait awkwardly for more than 3 or 4 minutes before bar staff attended to us. Poor service as waitress spilt large amount of the wine costing £18 and didn’t clean it up. Food was overpriced and average. Some of the veg was overcooked beyond recognition and gravy tasted like stock cube or gravy granules. Charged an extra 50p for Yorkshire Pudding which should have been pointed out before hand. Puddings were exceptional and shame the same amount of effort was not put into the actual dinner. Finally was overcharged for dessert wine which was £2.50 in the list but £3.00 on my bill. Wont be going back that's for sure (The Hop Pole was far better)Special Features:
- Very disappointedSmythe41Dined on 18/7/2014I was very much looking forward to going to the Chequers but was very disappointed. The vegetarian options were poor and the meal I had was awful. It sounded interesting...a 'vege burger' consisting of two large mushrooms, sandwiched together with feta, kidney beans chilli, coriander...something like that. It was the worst texture as feta is dry and Didn't melt..it was mixed with what tasted like English mustard so tasted very bitter. My friends tasted it and agreed it wasn't pleasant. Not wanting to make a fuss, I scraped out the inside of the mushrooms and thought I'd eat the roll but the taste stayed. I was hungry as had saved myself for dinner but even the fries we over cooked and tasted burnt.Service lazy. Had to call over everytimeSpecial Features:
- LunchPriceyDined on 17/7/2014We went to Chequers for a special Lunch for my husbands 30th. I requested a high chair in my reservation and it was there when we arrived although I also put in the comments that it was my husbands 30th birthday but there was no mention of it. A small personal touch of saying happy birthday or something would have gone a long way with myself. The food choice was good. Starters were brilliant. My husband had the scotch egg. I had the Ham hock. Great flavours. Excellent presentation. Main course, my husband had the pork I had the classic burger and our Son had fish and chips which was the only child's meal available. The chips were terrible. Cheap french fries on mine and my sons meal. Overall a lovely place but not great for children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, could be greatdrgeeDined on 12/7/2014We are both into going out to top restaurants so look for certain things. The core thing, the food at Chequers is very good. They have chefs who can really cook! Scallop starter was exceptional, as was the lamb scotch egg. Flavour and textures were excellent. I suspect the chefs are young as the later plates were too busy; Duck tart was excellent, but with duck breast and duck fat fried chips tastes great, but unbalanced - needed salad. Lemon Plate showed a lot of skill but had 5 elements (parfait, mousse, cake, meringues, curd) two too many? I'd drop the meringue and mousse. Service was a little slow; they were trying but detail wasn't quite right. The ambience they go for was right, high end food, casual dining. Fun night. Give them a go!Special Features:
- ChequersBeeBeeDined on 11/7/2014I was very impressed with how they reserved the tables with each persons name. The service was very good, at least, our waitress was ver friendly and easy to talk to. She made the stay there enjoyable. The food was good, but I expected more from the place. I was expecting to be wowed, but I wasn't. That is not to say the food wasn't good, it just wasn't as good as I thought it would be. The atmosphere was very nice though, and the toilets clean.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014A great menu, food was absolutely delicious and a lovely environment for a celebrationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have a Michelin StarFullbelly1Dined on 21/6/2014We ate on Saturday 21st, six people and everyone was blown away by the food quality and very fair prices. The "pork three ways" was brilliantly executed and was accompanied by a celeriac puree that was beyond belief. We ate at the Hinds Head, (Hestons pub in Bray which was excellent) on the way down to Bath and the Chequers is easily hitting this level of food. Add to this, a very reasonable wine list, (the Ken Forrester Chenin Blanc was brilliant) and you have a great restaurant that is unpretentious and excellent value. My only regret is that Bath is so far from where we live so I am unable to make it my local of choice. Well done to the whole team.Special Features:
- Jo JohnsonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 20/6/2014A complete surprise! I knew the food would be good due to the reviews I read but it was incredible. It looked amazing and was fabulously prepared. We had a great evening.Special Features:
- melissa acklandmellaDined on 16/6/2014We have been to chequers several times but our recent visit was the best and perfect for our family visiting from Australia. The service was friendly and the food was delicious and it was made easy for the 2 coeliacs in our group. Although it was a monday night there was enough people to create a nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.