The Chequers - Bath
50 Rivers Street
Bath, BA1 2QANeighbourhood:
Gastro PubPrice: £25 and under
The Chequers - Bath
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thechequersbath.com/
- Phone: 01225360017
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm and Sunday: 12:00pm - 6:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Leigh Evans
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our upstairs restaurant offers an intimate private dining experience with effortless service & exceptional food. We'll happily create a bespoke menu tailored to your party’s needs. Our chefs use the finest local and seasonal produce to create beautifully presented dishes.
- Private Party Contact: Jon Hutchings 01225360017
A word from The Chequers - Bath
The Chequers is a beautifully restored gastropub that serves high quality home cooked food, in a friendly pub atmosphere. Welcoming chalk boards display a tempting range of great tasting home prepared dishes & inventive pub classics. The Sunday roast is legendary and won the Bath Good Food Award for best Sunday lunch in Bath. Add to that a great wine list and a selection of well kept local ciders and ales and you have The Chequers. We're located just a short walk from some of Bath's most famous landmarks – the Circus and the Royal Crescent. So whether you live or work locally, or are a visitor to Bath, you're equally welcome and we look forward to seeing you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Chequers - Bath - Best restaurants in Bath ›
The Chequers - Bath reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since 27 May 2014
sunday lunch (70)fit for foodies (57)special occasions (50)romance (30)outstanding value (16)group bookings (12)pre/post theatre (11)child friendly (10)good vegetarian options (9)business meals (9)brunch (6)outdoor eating (5)disabled access (4)Show More
- outstanding food and eveningchefross1983Dined on 27/8/2014We booked the day before we ate, it was a special occasion as I had just got married a couple of days before. My and my new wife work and have worked in the cafering industry and were blown away by the quality of food and service I requested for a bottle of fizz to be on the table and it was brought over as soon as we sat which was fantastic. We ordered our starters and mains and when the startees arrived we both knew we were in for some top food. The starter's and mains were presented and cooked by a chef at the top of there game, the dessert I had blew me away the different contrasts amd textures of lemon were fantastic and the olive oil cake was beautifully moist. With two rosettes already I cant see it being long before they have threeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sandy2Sandy2Dined on 26/8/2014Visit this restaurant fairly frequently - this time it was up to its usual high standard. Our guests were particularly impressed with the scallops (although pricey) and the duck tart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CreamyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 24/8/2014Went for a Sunday roast and was OK, but I'm not a big fan of creamy textures and everything was covered in it, although my wife is and she loved it, so horses for coursesSpecial Features:
- Sunday lunchBeano16Dined on 17/8/2014Had sunday lunch here on 4 day visit to bath. Great food, lovely atmosphere/decor and friendly staff. Would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good SupperSandy2Dined on 8/8/2014We visit the Chequers about once or twice a month - usually for supper, occasionally for lunch. Pleasant atmosphere and good informal service. Local beers are stocked and the management are flexible about ordering 2 x starters rather than starter and main course if that is preferred. The food is of a consistently good standard and the menu mixes gastro pub usuals with more imaginative fare. It is popular with locals and you need to book for supper if you want to ensure getting table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PanjoDined on 6/8/2014so many places to eat in Bath - very nice pub and good enough gastro grub but nothing to write home aboutSpecial Features:
- Well worth a visitFVN1Dined on 3/8/2014Exceptional food and service! Our waitress Nicola was friendly, had a good knowledge of the food on offer and made sure we were looked after very well. The food was of a great strandard, one of the best gastro pubs in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected Much Delivered LittleUnhappyDinerDined on 3/8/2014Visited Chequers on Sunday as read it had been voted one of the best Sunday Lunches in Bath. Made to wait awkwardly for more than 3 or 4 minutes before bar staff attended to us. Poor service as waitress spilt large amount of the wine costing £18 and didn’t clean it up. Food was overpriced and average. Some of the veg was overcooked beyond recognition and gravy tasted like stock cube or gravy granules. Charged an extra 50p for Yorkshire Pudding which should have been pointed out before hand. Puddings were exceptional and shame the same amount of effort was not put into the actual dinner. Finally was overcharged for dessert wine which was £2.50 in the list but £3.00 on my bill. Wont be going back that's for sure (The Hop Pole was far better)Special Features:
- Very disappointedSmythe41Dined on 18/7/2014I was very much looking forward to going to the Chequers but was very disappointed. The vegetarian options were poor and the meal I had was awful. It sounded interesting...a 'vege burger' consisting of two large mushrooms, sandwiched together with feta, kidney beans chilli, coriander...something like that. It was the worst texture as feta is dry and Didn't melt..it was mixed with what tasted like English mustard so tasted very bitter. My friends tasted it and agreed it wasn't pleasant. Not wanting to make a fuss, I scraped out the inside of the mushrooms and thought I'd eat the roll but the taste stayed. I was hungry as had saved myself for dinner but even the fries we over cooked and tasted burnt.Service lazy. Had to call over everytimeSpecial Features:
- LunchPriceyDined on 17/7/2014We went to Chequers for a special Lunch for my husbands 30th. I requested a high chair in my reservation and it was there when we arrived although I also put in the comments that it was my husbands 30th birthday but there was no mention of it. A small personal touch of saying happy birthday or something would have gone a long way with myself. The food choice was good. Starters were brilliant. My husband had the scotch egg. I had the Ham hock. Great flavours. Excellent presentation. Main course, my husband had the pork I had the classic burger and our Son had fish and chips which was the only child's meal available. The chips were terrible. Cheap french fries on mine and my sons meal. Overall a lovely place but not great for children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, could be greatdrgeeDined on 12/7/2014We are both into going out to top restaurants so look for certain things. The core thing, the food at Chequers is very good. They have chefs who can really cook! Scallop starter was exceptional, as was the lamb scotch egg. Flavour and textures were excellent. I suspect the chefs are young as the later plates were too busy; Duck tart was excellent, but with duck breast and duck fat fried chips tastes great, but unbalanced - needed salad. Lemon Plate showed a lot of skill but had 5 elements (parfait, mousse, cake, meringues, curd) two too many? I'd drop the meringue and mousse. Service was a little slow; they were trying but detail wasn't quite right. The ambience they go for was right, high end food, casual dining. Fun night. Give them a go!Special Features:
- ChequersBeeBeeDined on 11/7/2014I was very impressed with how they reserved the tables with each persons name. The service was very good, at least, our waitress was ver friendly and easy to talk to. She made the stay there enjoyable. The food was good, but I expected more from the place. I was expecting to be wowed, but I wasn't. That is not to say the food wasn't good, it just wasn't as good as I thought it would be. The atmosphere was very nice though, and the toilets clean.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014A great menu, food was absolutely delicious and a lovely environment for a celebrationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have a Michelin StarFullbelly1Dined on 21/6/2014We ate on Saturday 21st, six people and everyone was blown away by the food quality and very fair prices. The "pork three ways" was brilliantly executed and was accompanied by a celeriac puree that was beyond belief. We ate at the Hinds Head, (Hestons pub in Bray which was excellent) on the way down to Bath and the Chequers is easily hitting this level of food. Add to this, a very reasonable wine list, (the Ken Forrester Chenin Blanc was brilliant) and you have a great restaurant that is unpretentious and excellent value. My only regret is that Bath is so far from where we live so I am unable to make it my local of choice. Well done to the whole team.Special Features:
- Jo JohnsonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 20/6/2014A complete surprise! I knew the food would be good due to the reviews I read but it was incredible. It looked amazing and was fabulously prepared. We had a great evening.Special Features:
- melissa acklandmellaDined on 16/6/2014We have been to chequers several times but our recent visit was the best and perfect for our family visiting from Australia. The service was friendly and the food was delicious and it was made easy for the 2 coeliacs in our group. Although it was a monday night there was enough people to create a nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing better than a roast...AlwayseatingDined on 8/6/2014...especially when it is this good! Good value for money as you get a lot of food. Clear care taken over all food preparation and presentation. Staff are friendly and attentive. Very enjoyable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/6/2014Lovely food, lovely menu. Well presented dishes that aren't extortionately priced. Overall a lovely place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friady night supperdumbmuttDined on 6/6/2014Lovely restaurant in a quiet , out of the way , part of Bath. We chose the Chequers it because of the menu which included decent fish/vegetarian options. Some of us chose the classic menu of steak, veggie burger , fish and chips and enjoyed them but there is no doubt that those who chose a la carte were able to choose really well presented, delicious and excellently prepared food. The scallop with cauliflower starter and the Black Bream with crab linguini main were particularly notable. I will return as soon as I can and will choose a la carte.Special Features:
- Lovely mealYumeemumDined on 24/5/2014Delicious food especially the starters of squid and trout. Very accommodating staff who were lovely about a chatty toddler who was with us too. Scrummy puds were topnotch too.Special Features:
- relaxing sundayJOJODined on 11/5/2014Reserved a table for a friend's birthday. Pea soup starter divine. Main course lovely , and suitable for those with a very large appetite [plate overflowing] . Fabulous roasties; gastro pommes de terre ! and other veggies. Valiantly also had dessert ! The burnt mango fruit was excellent, my friend had lemon meringue [slightly too little lemon zing for her tastes - it was very very sweet]. Great drinks and a fair price for what you are getting. Great venue.Special Features:
- Sunday Roast LunchMagnificent7Dined on 11/5/2014A table for seven finished with a £200 bill, roast potatoes over cooked, the meal in general tasted 'mass produced' possibly from pre frozen origins. The beer was good, service excellent, ambience OK. My American guests not overly impressed with their first ever Sunday Roast sadly.
- SuperbSeayeaitchDined on 6/5/2014Great place to meet, eat and enjoy excellent service,a very well managed Eating and drinking establishment, courteous staff well managed and trained a real credit to the people of Bath.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly DisappointedDaytripperDined on 23/4/2014I looked on the net and eventually selected 'The Chequers' for dinner. Such is the skill of the web designer and the photographer that the reality didn't live up to our expectations. Tthe ambiance and setting were not quite in keeping with the prices charged for the two courses we ordered. My ham hock starter was superb and well presented, but the black bream was over complicated with too many elements on the plate. My husband chose calamari and burger, but the burger was overdone on the outside, and there was an excessive portion of French fries. it wasn't a bad meal, but not memorable. .Service friendly enough.
- One of the beat meals I've had....foodie90Dined on 18/4/2014We ate at The Chequers on Good Friday and both my boyfriend and I were blown away by how good the food was. The food was what you would expect from a fine dining restaurant but the ambience was laid back and informal. It is the perfect combination. The staff were attentive but not over bearing and the bill was fair considering the quality of food. However, I would consider this restaurant a place for special occasions. If you do take a visit to this restaurant, definitely try the lamb scotch egg...it's something special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant food worthy of an awardOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014The meal at the Chequers was exquisite. I had three courses and each course combined an exciting and adventurous combination of flavours and food. It was like a Michelin star restaurant. I am not sure whether there is a new chef, but he/she is taking gastro pub eating to another level. I have been many times to the Chequers and always expect high standards and consistently good food, but this meal was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday LunchauntymabelDined on 6/4/2014Had Sunday lunch at The Chequers during a weekend in Bath to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Lovely dining room, attentive staff and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best roast dinner in BathRoseDined on 6/4/2014I cannot recommend the Chequers more highly, we had a fabulous roast dinner on Sunday afternoon. The choice of roast was unexpected and included sharing roasts, the presentation of he food was wonderful, and the waiting staff were extremely attentive, welcoming and accommodating. We had a lovely meal and whilst it was a little pricey it was well worth every penny. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPhilDined on 5/4/2014Great food although not a large choice, particularly for vegetarians. Service from our waiter was very friendly and clearly he was busy and could have done with some help from the manager who didn't engage. Some of our party had chunky chips. They were nothing like anyone had seen before, more roast potatoes and far too many on the plate giving the appearance of a rushed presentation. The evening fell a little flat at the 12.5% service added to the bill. This is top end prices, in a pub setting. Food great but it's still a pub type setting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Low key gastro pub with great foodKayZalDined on 29/3/2014Coming from London we enjoyed finding this understated friendly gastro pub. The food was great-- excellent ingredients and innovative preparations. Reminded me of the type of cooking you see on MasterChef professionalsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been to The ChequersNiclovebathDined on 23/3/2014We have been to The Chequers a number of times and it never fails to deliver on service, quality of food and atmosphere. The staff were attentive and friendly without being over the top as most places are these days and the food was, as usual "top quality", delicious and beautifully presented. Our favourite place to eat in Bath!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good quality food!LoulabelleDined on 22/3/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Chequers. The food was delicious and tasty. The atmosphere was relaxed and the service impeccable. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chequers reviewNotoftenoutDined on 20/3/2014We were warmly greeted when we arrived and the friendly service continued throughout our meal. Thank you so muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding gastro pubKazzaDined on 15/3/2014We were looking for something special and this pub certainly did not disappoint! The staff were very friendly and polite and the food was outstanding. The beetroot and blue cheese starter was something I would expect in a high end restaurant and the presentation was beautiful and elegant. The pork belly was so tender and came with a perfect crispy crackling and the banana and caramel dessert with ice cream was to did for!! I am only sad I do not live close enough to eat here more often but for sure will call in again if I ever come back to bath.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at The ChequersBlatchyDined on 14/3/2014Highly recommend dinner at The Chequers, great atmosphere, fantastic surrounds, good service, some wonderful wines and the food was excellent. We will be using The Chequers on a regular basis from now on. If you are in Bath this is a little gem. If the weather is right sit outside.Special Features:
- Great eveningSaturdaydinerDined on 8/3/2014Went with a friend for a quiet dinner, everything was what you would expect from a high end restaurant with plenty of class about the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab place to eatLuvmyfoodDined on 1/3/2014very nice food for a great price. definitely recommend Chequers, will come back again for sureSpecial Features:
- DisappointingKnifenforkDined on 1/3/2014Burgers were raw at the centre. Fat chips were a bit under cooked. Fish rather oily. Puddings very pretty on large plate but actually very small despite high price. Very nIce staff. Disappointing. Not been here before although local. Sister pub the Hare and Hounds is always good and reliable.
- Sunday lunch at the Chequers BathAndreaCDined on 16/2/2014Great food, large portions, good service and chilled atmosphere. Beef sharing for two is recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our meal was great, as waspiranDined on 14/2/2014Our meal was great, as was the service. Overall it was a pleasure would definitely recommend and return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.