The Chequers Matching Green
Matching, CM17 0PZNeighbourhood:
MediterraneanPrice: £26 to £40
The Chequers Matching Green
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thechequersmatchinggreen.co.uk/
- Phone: 01279 731276
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday from 11am onwards
Lunch: Tuesday to Sunday from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm; Lunch runs all day Saturday and Sunday
Dinner: Tuesday to Sunday from 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm; Saturday from 6:00 pm to midnight; Sunday 6:00 pm to 10:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Geoff Mastroberardino
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We have cabaret dinners with top acts every month
A word from The Chequers Matching Green
Overlooking the village green our country pub and restaurant is in the heart of delightful village of Matching Green, a few minutes from the M11 on the Herts and Essex border. The Chequers offers fresh, delicious food sourced locally where possible. So come and enjoy our mouthwatering home-made food. Our olde world charm and cutting edge style attracts visitors from far and near.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Chequers Matching Green - Best restaurants in Harlow ›
The Chequers Matching Green reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since 22 November 2013
sunday lunch (18)special occasions (13)outdoor eating (13)fit for foodies (10)romance (9)business meals (8)group bookings (8)child friendly (6)brunch (5)disabled access (2)outstanding value (2)good vegetarian options (1)Show More
- Nice hideaway...... Good food!!!Sandy1978Dined on 28/10/2014Nice hideaway in the middle of nowhere. A great find!! Romantic Staff are fantastic Open till late! Great selection of drinks Only negative is that it is a little pricey!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SOMETHING FOR EVERYONEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014GOOD SERVICE AND A BROAD SELECTION OF HIGH QUALITY FOOD.Special Features:
- Perfect eveningLuvthemealDined on 6/9/2014We had a lovely evening on 6/9/14. The chicken liver parfait was delicious as was the red onion marmalade. The steak was cooked perfectly and the side dishes were plentiful. The staff were very attentive and nothing was too much trouble. We got value for money and will definately be dining again at The Chequers.Special Features:
- Enjoyable family dinnerhanalolDined on 16/8/2014Lovely situation, arriving as the sun was going down over the green, went for a family dinner on Saturday evening. The management create an elegant and comfortable environment, all the staff very well turned out and excellent service. Food is plentiful, good and fairly priced. A wide degree of choice. Not haute cuisine, but very decent, especially the fish dishes. You feel well looked after here and likely to come again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/7/2014We came to your restaurant on Saturday with high expectations but first impression bartender was not very friendly and did not offer good service. Ordered our food and waited 50 minutes for our meal - meal was not outstanding for the price - waited 15 minutes for refil drinks. Very noisy venue would not use it again.
- HungryDined on 24/7/2014The food was not up to standard, maybe it was the chiefs night off ???Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/7/2014Waiting service, food, ambience were all good but food took too long to arrive. We waited half an hour for our main course. Would go back with friends but not my dad as too noisy & slow for him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodchrisDined on 6/7/2014Great food was served on what had been a very busy summers day but the quality of food and service was still maintainedSpecial Features:
- SUNDAY LUNCHSQUIRRELDined on 1/6/2014Lovely atmosphere, great service and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRuthDined on 31/5/2014Roberto and the Staff at The Chequers are friendly and accomodating. I gave them very short notice to increase my reservation from 3 to 11 and they helped in every way possible. Food as always was excellent.Special Features:
- ExcellentchrisDined on 31/5/2014Great venue more of a restaurant than a pub consistently good foodSpecial Features:
- very goodromantic1864Dined on 27/5/2014went for our aniverseryand loved the food and service was good, bit quite but it was a Tuesday evening and weather not to good.would still recommend it to anyone who wants good foodin very nice surroundingsSpecial Features:
- Bank Hols Sunday Lunch1crowdedbarareaDined on 26/5/2014The Roast Lamb Meal & Desert were very good & well presented by a smart team of cheerful attentive staff . Our Table was in between Bar & Toilets & far from ideal location with people drinking at the bar all round us & a steady stream of people going to the toilet. Overall we would pro-pally visit again but would definitely not seat in the bar area. At the end of the day we paid top dollar (+10% service Charge) for a very good pub crowded bar meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 23/5/2014The chequers was recommended by my daughter and I must say we enjoyed it . It was our first visit and we will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening MealFreshDined on 23/4/2014I had never been to the Chequers before, but my partner had, it was a very relaxed atmosphere with a lot of effort to make the restaurant feel cosy. The pub in in excellent surroundings and I am sure in the summer would be a fantastic destination. Sadly as it was a Wednesday in mid April it lacked the buzz of a busy restaurant although that did not detract from the service and food.Special Features:
- Lovely Gastro diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 19/4/2014Great service, lovely food, just right for lunch on a saturdaySpecial Features:
- Dinner for 2Summerstrawbs78Dined on 15/3/2014Very lovely location and lovely decoration inside this old pub. Restaurant area has got a large number of tables and tables O2 do get a little squashed in between the large parties. Food very good, will nice size portions. Wine menu comes over a little expensive. Service very good. Would go again with others. They do hold special events every so often - view website for thisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FAMILY LUNCHgizmoDined on 12/3/20146 of us had lunch mid week. The service was excellent, everyone was friendly , efficient and professional. The food was amazing! We each chose different starters and main courses and every person said that their food was perfect! The tables are well spaced and nicely set. Good choice of wines. Wish we lived nearer to go more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to its usual high standardsGeorgeDined on 15/2/2014The chequers is (and remains) a local favourite however on this occasion I left feeling disappointed not because the experience (food, ambience or service) was poor but because on previous visits the food had been simply outstanding. I had previously tended towards the grills but this time plumped for the Lamb Shank. Sadly I suspect that this special was not quite as sumptuous as expected based on previous visits. The starter, dessert and wine went a long way towards assuaging my lingering sense of being underwhelmed. The Margeret River Pinot Noir hit the spot with sumptuous fruit flavour and more body than I had expected, while the jam sponge was the perfect antidote for our inclement recent weather); both well up to par.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Restaurant!KeefyDDined on 15/2/2014Whenever we want to splash out and have a good meal locally we always choose The Chequers. The food and service are excellent and our favourite place in the area.Special Features:
- Good ServiceMrsUnitedNationsDined on 8/2/2014Whilst the service was very good, overall the food wasn't as good as it was on previous occasions. My main course was very good and my husband's duck starter was also very good. The batter on the squid starter wasn't quite crispy enough and the crayfish and mussel main course was described as bland by our two friends. Because of the disappointment by two people eating it made the final bill seem very expensive. However, the Sunday lunches in the past were excellent.Special Features:
- Good food tucked awayDine2enjoyDined on 30/11/2013First time I had been to The Chequers and the food and service didn't disappoint at all. We started with the sharing cold platter of fish for 2 and its was very good, the smoked salmon full of intense flavour. Mains of low roasted pork a and lamb rump were well cooked with delightful fresh greens and upper smooth mash. Desserts of strawberry panna cotta and an apple crumble tart were a perfect end to a great meal. Sadly the restaurant was very sparse when we visited on a Saturday lunchtime so we didn't get the best of atmosphere but I will be back to sample more of a good looking menu. Reasonable prices for a gastro style place and very friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 113 reviews are from the The Chequers Matching Green reviews archive.
- Located in a beutiful settingEssexchrisDined on 5/11/2013Located in a beutiful setting though would be very hard to find without a GPS. The food was good quality, service was friendly and prompt, the interior was comfortable and attractive and the candlelit setting would certainly have been suitable for romance (though that was not what we were visiting for). Note that the prices are quite a bit higher than most even good pubs. My only problem is that they advertised a bonfire for the 5th of november on their website, and none was provided nor was any explanation forthcoming from the staff who did not even know one was meant to be there. Despite this, I would reccomend it for a treat out especially for a pair of lovebirds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday LunchSawboSteveDined on 3/11/2013Have eaten here on several occasions and have never been disappointed with the food or service. It's a class establishment and retains a wonderful character and ambiance. The staff are very friendly, which is so important, they make you feel so welcome and are very attentive without being intrusive. I guarantee any one who visits here will not be disappointed and will return. That leads to my greatest worry! that I'll find it more difficult to get a table booking :-))Special Features:
- Gorgeous village pub - great foodFoodies2Dined on 10/10/2013We have been to this pub before but never to eat. The put has a wonderful homely feel; wooden floors; open fireplaces, very classic, comfortable and welcoming. The staff are friendly. We had been looking for somewhere that does a good "steak" and this place didn't disappoint. The steaks were excellent, thick, perfectly cooked and very tasty. The side orders (we had hand cut chips, mushrooms and spinach) were lovely - particularly the chips which are highly recommended. We also had starters and deserts which were excellent. Lovely wine list too. Highly recommend this pub for a great meal out.Special Features:
- We love the setting of TheLondonTownerVIPDined on 6/10/2013We love the setting of The Chequers, so decided to go for Sunday lunch as it was such a lovely day. We both had the excellent Sunday roast, but couldn't eat it all.Special Features:
- A WELL RUN PUBsimon1Dined on 6/8/2013The bar staff know there job and do it very well with a smile. We had our little dog with us and one of the reasons we go here is that he's allowed in the bar. But the food my the bar is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch with nice staffOptionalDined on 19/7/2013Recently visited chequers for a weekday lunch the food was great with an excellent choice of drinks with outside heated ( when needed) seating i can recommend the side terrace or you can choose the rear terrace . The staff are all nice , helpful and seem happy we will certainly return . The pub restaurant also has theme nights so may be worth finding out what's on .Special Features:
- Beautiful settingdavekovacsDined on 14/7/2013Lovely place to go for a nice drive food very good staff excellent witha very relaxed country pub feel would be great for Sunday lunch and to watch the cricket on the greenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My partner and I had SundayLondonTownerVIPDined on 30/6/2013My partner and I had Sunday lunch here. We chose this restaurant due to the good weather and knowing it has a lovely setting. The Sunday Lunch was very good, with very ample portions. We will be back.Special Features:
- Fabulous food......Becks723Dined on 26/6/2013First time at The Chequers and it didn't disappoint! Went there for a Friends Birthday and the service, food and value was superb. When you arrive, you are welcomed as if you are a regular! We chose the Sea Bass and the Wild Mushroon and Asparagus Fricasse for mains Both were presented well and tasted delicious. Definitely recommend it and we will be back to try out the rest of the menu! The team even brought out a dessert with a candle and sung Happy Birthday! Great attention to detail and made the evening special xxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I chose this restaurant asLiz1Dined on 23/6/2013I chose this restaurant as it was a recommendation from a friend. I was looking for somewhere to take my mum for some lunch on her birthday. Lovely setting in a little village. The pub/ restaurant itself is very nice and has a lovely atmosphere. From the moment we arrived, the staff couldn't have been more pleasant and welcoming and the service and food throughout was excellent. There were 3 in our party and we all chose a roast for our lunch- the food was beautiful and plentiful- a really high standard. For desert we had a cheesecake, and all agreed it was the best we'd ever tasted! We will definitely be returning and I can't recommend this place highly enough! Wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ChequersGeoffersVIPDined on 1/6/2013Good food at a very resonable price. Well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend for Special Occasionsjack07Dined on 11/5/2013Food was excellent location and service was great. It is not cheap, so not really in my book, some place you would go just for an every day meal but more for special occasions that you want to splash out a bit. we had 2 course and 1 bottle of one = £100.00. I went for a birthday and we had a lovely time and as I said food was excellent as well as service and location so would recommend and go back. I was only a little disappointed as I thought I had read gluten free menu avail but that was not the case, though the kitchen was happy to point out what on the menu was suitable.Special Features:
- Good but not great.LesbowDined on 6/5/2013The quality of the food here is of a very high standard, where they fall short is the quality of the bar staff, and although our table server was a lovely young lady who was attentive and friendly, she did forget glasses for the water, and gave the wrong drink to the one my wife ordered.Special Features:
- CelebrationLovemyfoodDined on 3/5/2013Fabulous afternoon at The Chequers food fab, service fab and a great ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night in The ChequersSweetcornDined on 13/4/2013Could not fault eating out at The Chequers, Matching Green on a Saturday night. It was noisy but that was because people were enjoying themselves. Great ambiance accompanied by excellent food and service. Even the guest ale was top notch. Will certainly be returning.Special Features:
- The Chequers, Matching GreencmdlDined on 29/3/2013A real treat of a meal in a very atmospheric pub, with excellent food, and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful MealBermudaGingeDined on 29/3/2013An excellent restaurant with exemplary service, the food was presented immaculately and the overall experience delightful. Highly recommended for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday lunchTrackoneDined on 9/3/2013Very good quality food backed up by excellent service. Busy on a Saturday lunch time of course, but that adds to the atmosphere which was very good. Very welcoming if you have children (we don't) and there were many families enjoying themselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.