The Chestnut Horse
THE CHESTNUT HORSE
Winchester, SO21 1EGNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £25 and under
The Chestnut Horse
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thechestnuthorse.com/
- Phone: 01962779257
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12pm - 2:30pm; Sunday: 12pm - 8pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 6pm - 9:30pm; Saturday: 6:30pm - 9:30pm; Sunday: 12pm - 8pm
- Payment Options: Carte Blanche,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Peter Cumine
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Chestnut Horse
Hidden in the idyllic village of Easton, The Cheustnut Horse is a traditional English gem. The 16th Century pub, which you can enjoy a business lunch, family lunch, romantic evening meal or just a drink with friends, boasts ambience and old English heritage character in abundance. Award winning ales, fine wines and great British cuisine can be enjoyed in the bar, restaurant or the picturesque garden.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Chestnut Horse - Best restaurants in Winchester ›
The Chestnut Horse reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since 20 October 2013
sunday lunch (50)outdoor eating (45)special occasions (38)fit for foodies (33)group bookings (29)romance (26)outstanding value (20)business meals (19)child friendly (18)good vegetarian options (14)brunch (11)afternoon tea (7)disabled access (3)Show More
- Chestnut Horse - WHAT A FIND!NickPVIPDined on 11/10/2014Our 1st visit to this wonderful 16th century pub, and what a find it was. The passion that Karen and her team have for the place is obvious - from the knowledgable and attentive service to the wonderful plates of food that come from the kitchens - we had a wonderful time. The varied menu clearly benefits from carefully sourced ingregiants, full of flavour and wonderfully presented on the plates - great choice across the menu and a specials board too. Can't recommend this place more - if you're in the area, book a table and enjoy! Can't wait for our next visit - thanks and well done to the whole team!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chestnut Horse - Lunchtime reviewTeabagDined on 27/9/2014Quaint village setting. Garden was beautiful. Our group had whitebait, cesar salad, beer battered fish, curry and blue cheese and mushroom penne pasta. All were lovely especially the batter and pasta sauce. Only one naughty person opted for a pud - me! Lemon tart with orange curd very scrummy! We would love to go back when next in the area.Special Features:
- Lovely business dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/9/2014We had a business dinner amongst colleagues, the food was delicious, the atmosphere cosy and the service excellent; it has that personal touch and special character that makes it so unique.
- FantasticLizzDined on 24/9/2014I would highly recommend this pub/restaurant for any occasion. Friendly staff, warm atmosphere, excellent quality food reasonably priced and the steak cooked to perfection..Will most certainly book again and will be telling all my friends and colleaguesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent venueGreenMGDined on 20/9/2014Rapid, attentive and thoughtful service from well directed and trained staff meant the lunch (for 10) went without a hitch, I would recommend the pub to anyone looking for a reliable restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed quality foodcookingsaltDined on 15/9/2014The beer was very good and my partner had a tuna special that was excellent. My pork menu choice was very weak. It was dry, essentially breaded escalopes with some uninspiring green salad and very ordinary chips. Overall very dry.
- Characteristic pubOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 13/9/2014A charming pub with great food. Ideal for a spot of lunch. 10 minutes in car from Winchester. Or £10 in cab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSawadeekhaDined on 7/9/2014We went for sunday lunch & we were put on the smallest pokiest table even though other larger tables were free. We thought maybe they were reserved so didn't say anything but none were used while we were there. There we're many waiters & all staff pleasant but they didn't bother serving us at all. We know they were busy as people sat outside but often they'd come in to serve customers near us & we'd be ignored. We had to ask for drinks & menu, drink came incorrectly then food came & no drinks we had to ask again. We then had to ask for a sweet menu but sat for 15mins & no one came to take our order, so we ended up going to the bar to pay & left without leaving a tip.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 29/8/2014REally excellent on every level and I would certainly recommend you again.Special Features:
- consistently goodcherrybobbyDined on 16/8/2014consistently good food at the Chestnut Horse with nice surroundings and pleasant staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friends lunchHoneybunDined on 13/8/2014I met up with a group of friends at the Chestnut horse based on eating there before. One of my friends had eaten there @ 40 years earlier and the others had never been. I was pleased that we all enjoyed our menu choices. We all enjoyed the atmosphere and the ladies who served us were great! Our main server was very helpful with food intolerances and very patient as we were very chatty and took time to make our choices. We ate from the 2 course £12 menu. Everyone would recommend and will all be returning!Special Features:
- Bit chaoticJakeDined on 9/8/2014We went Saturday at 8pm and friendly feel immediately apparent. However we were left for 5 minutes before anyone came to greet us, we were given a nice corner table and ambience very good. Food order taken quite quickly and I asked for wine list - waited about 10 mins for anyone to ask about wine, Food was very good but they forgot the mixed veg my wife ordered and the menu does not mention that the steak comes with fries so I did not need the side order I placed. I asked for mustard which they forgot completely until reminded. As I said - a bit chaotic! I must say however that everyone remained friendly and happy to help and everything was remedied with a smile so we will be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- acuratorDined on 7/8/2014Beautiful summer evening spent at the Chestnut Horse. Great dinner with excellent service and lovely relaxed atmosphere. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceSeatonsurferDined on 31/7/2014I was very impressed that you could book a table via the internet. We arrived early and was shown to our table. Unfortunately it was a very hot evening and the restaurant area was even hotter. After sitting under the halogen spotlight we had to move to another table as it was just too uncomfortable. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and eventually we moved again to the outside as it was just too hot to eat comfortably. The food was excellent and we really enjoyed the ambiance. We would certainly go again, but choose a much cooler evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Food & ServiceJOYCEEEDined on 31/7/20147pm booking on a Thursday night - I am so glad I pre-booked as it wasn't long to all the tables were occupied. The reason for this is the reputation of the chestnut Horse must be hitting the foodies circuit. The service was excellent and the food was crafted to perfection. I would recommend this pub to anybody, they have a two course menu for £12 which I was nearly tempted by until I read the A la Carte menu. The menus are not extensive, however this makes the dishes that they have chosen to perfect to a high standard. I will be definitely returning!Special Features:
- Pleasant unpretentious pubSisterGDined on 29/7/2014The Chestnut Horse was recommended to us by a friend. It's a charming and large pub with a good number of tables outside. The food is fairly standard pub fare but nicely prepared and presented. Staff very efficient. We had an early pre-cinema supper and there were already quite a few diners so booking may be advisable. In short, I'm glad we visited though I didn't see anything that makes it outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our firm favouritelove2bakeDined on 26/7/2014We discovered this lovely pub/restaurant 14 years ago and to this day we consider it a place for special occasions as well as a somewhere we can spend a couple of hours after a busy day. You can choose the garden in the good weather, the bar area for a relaxed feel and a sumptuous restaurant for those special times but enjoy the same high quality food wherever you choose to eat. In fact we had our first date in the restaurant! The staff are very special, smart, friendly and trained to a high standard and the food is always fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food4thoughtDined on 20/7/2014We were delighted with he Chestnut Horse. It was our first visit and were struck by the friendliness of staff and good value for money on food and drinks. An ideal place for us to meet up with family for a lazy Sunday lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great valuecarabinierDined on 12/7/2014Five of us could not fault The Chestnut Horse. The menu was varied and even the most difficult to please would have no problem finding something they liked. Quantities were just right; presentation very good, and the cooking was to a very high standard indeed. The service was up to the standard of the food: excellent. Finally, considering the standard of the food, prices were very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chestnut HorseJuliePDined on 9/7/2014Went for dinner on 09.07.2014. Lovely evening, sat outside - felt like we were in the Mediterranean ! Service was excellent, food was also well presented and delicious. Excellent value £12 for two courses. Thank you for a very pleasant evening. 😀Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Country Pub2zcompanyDined on 5/7/2014I had dinner with a visiting american friend on Saturday evening. She was enchanted by the old world charm. The atmosphere is great, and staff are very friendly and helpful, and the wine excellent and reasonable. There is a pretty garden to sit outside in and have a drink before dining. We ate fish and chips with mushy peas which were very delicious and the fish in a wonderful chrispy batter, but perhaps the chips could have been chrispier. As I am a healthy eater, I should have truly appreciated a side salad as well. The desert, chocolate creme brulee, was very naughty but totally delicious. All in all it was a very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBoddiggaDined on 29/6/2014This is our favourite post-Goodwood food stop. The Chestnut Horse is always welcoming, the menu is interesting, service friendly and the children are well catered for. An excellent meal all-round!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't be put in the back room.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/6/2014Everyone was really friendly, however, we were put in the back room which felt claustrophobic and hot. And taking our order was slow. Would suggest you take our orders at the bar prior to being seated. We would go back again and the musician was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!KempersDined on 22/6/2014We haven't been to the Chestnut Horse for quite some time but have always rated it as a high quality dining pub. It did not dissappoint. On a beautifully sunny day we sat outside in the garden which was delightful. Despite the pub being extremely busy the staff were very good and the food and drinks arrived in good time. We will certainly be returning and recommend it to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch at Chestnut HorseLunchieDined on 20/6/2014Excellent food, very well served. Interesting and atmospheric surroundings. Good value. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- iv100Dined on 15/6/2014The food was not as outstanding as on our previous visit June 2013. Perhaps it was because there was a Fathers Day menu. Ice cream not very special, we were looking forward to our puds! The salads were excellent, the rest not bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/6/2014Most enjoyable ---- and very impressed with the fact that my salad had a good salad dressing and was not skimped --- I invariably have to ask for more dressing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday LunchSaintsmapmanDined on 8/6/2014We have visited the Chestnut Horse many times before, but this was the first on a Sunday lunchtime. It was busy but the service was excellent and the staff were friendly and very helpful. The food as usual was very good and beautifully presented. The only point to raise was that one of our group was a vegetarian and their choice was rather limited.Special Features:
- luv2lunchDined on 30/5/2014Had a very nice lunch with friends. Staff very attentive (but not to attentive). One couple were over half an hour late due to accident on motorway but that didn't seem to be a problem. This is my send visit to meet friends for lunch and would certainly return.Special Features:
- A pleasant evening with old friendsDavefDined on 29/5/2014I booked The Chestnut Horse for an evening meal. It was a Thursday evening and there were 6 of us. It was rather quiet being mid week however the restaurant area is very cosy/comfortable with a nice traditional atmosphere. There was a fair choice on the menu and the food was well prepared/presented. It was a little more expensive than anticipated however we all enjoyed our visit.
- Outstanding valuejazzerDined on 13/5/2014Good local food. Cooked and served very well. Good sevice and outstanding value.Special Features:
- Chestnot Horse EastonEenyMeenyDined on 8/5/2014Welcoming staff most efficiently served us tasty food from the fixed lunch menu. There was a good choice of dishes delivered in an appetising way. Great value in a most comfortable setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chestnut HorseRacandgDined on 4/5/2014We sat outside on the terrace for lunch on the Sunday. Tables probably a bit too close together, though that did create a nice, busy atmosphere. Service attentive and friendly, though I suspect we were lucky in our waiter - others looked and sounded less enthusiastic. Goat's cheese salad with poached pairs excellent. Fish and chips fine - probably enough for two. Creme brûlée excellent and again enough to share. Nice bottle of French rose to help pretend the summer had really arrived. Price fair enough. Overall a lovely lunch. Definitely recommended.Special Features:
- Always excellent!BoneyardDined on 3/5/2014The Chestnut Horse is always our favourite family meeting place, with sections of the family coming from Guildford, Winchester and Romsey to meet up for special occasions and just for lunch sometimes.Special Features:
- Good food in a charming pubTinkerbellDined on 1/5/2014Interesting but not overly long menu catering for all tastes - beautifully presented food, lovely fresh produce, charming staff, gorgeous old pub. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Sudden decisionRedheadedgeordieDined on 29/4/2014This was a Groupon offer and what excellent value it was. We could not believe the choice available and if we wanted something outside the price range it was no problem, just pay the extra. The service was excellent and no intrusive questioning about the meal, all done from a discrete distance. We took 2 friends and they were totally amazed, not having had dealings with Groupon before. I realised we were unable to use our voucher other than the following day, but that was no problem at all.Special Features:
- Great Pub in the heart of HampshireAnthonyDined on 30/3/2014This is a great little pub in the heart of Hampshire, very friendly, great food and very popular. Kid, dog and pony friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day LunchICFCDined on 30/3/2014Excellent meal, well presented. Happy friendly atmosphere, prompt service, lots of choice. Will be going again!Special Features:
- Great ambience, delicious foodDebbieDined on 27/3/2014We were a party of seven and we selected the two courses for £12 menu. This was excellent value for money with generous portions of delicious freshly cooked food. The breaded whitebait was superb as was the goats cheese. Pear and walnut salad. The poached salmon for main course was cooked to perfection and the battered fish and chips was also a good choice. Service was excellent without too much fussing - I hate being bothered by staff checking if everything is ok - once is enough! It is quite dark so sometimes reading the menu was a challenge for the over fifties:-) Overall an excellent evening out - recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentgreatfoodDined on 25/3/2014We visited the Chestnut Horse for a birthday celebration. The food was absolutely faultless. The staff were friendly and the service was efficient. The best meal we've had for a long time. I would definitely recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.