11 Alma Road
London, SW18 1AANeighbourhood:
IndianPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chutneyrestaurant.co.uk/home.htm
- Phone: 020 8870 4588
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily: 5:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Beer, Takeout
A word from The Chutney
The Chutney is a gem of a restaurant in London’s Wandsworth that locals would surely like to keep to themselves. One look at the blood red designer chairs, bright white walls and pale wood floor of The Chutney says it all: smart, modern restaurant with character. Pretty floral displays adorn the light-flooded dining room. And every dish from The Chutney’s modern Indian menu is a specialty, they say. But if we had to choose highlights they’d be the mirchi lamb, the paneer tikka, the excellent murgh handi laziz chicken, and definitely the Goan fish curry. Additionally, The Chutney restaurant offers a very special carrot pudding. The best table? By the big windows or outside on the grape tree-lined forecourt. With a strong international wine list, friendly service and great location, The Chutney restaurant is a great spot to enjoy Indian cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Chutney reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since 28 November 2013
outstanding value (35)group bookings (29)good vegetarian options (28)fit for foodies (25)special occasions (21)business meals (11)romance (6)outdoor eating (5)disabled access (3)child friendly (2)sunday lunch (1)Show More
- Good Indian mealCnikkiDined on 7/11/2014The Chutney is a good local Indian restaurant. The food is what you would expect and with the 35% discount via Open Table it is relatively good value for money as well.Special Features:
- Reliably good mealKateDined on 9/10/2014My sister and I love coming here because it's always good. It doesn't matter what time you come or how big the group is they consistently deliver good quality food at an affordable price that is really tasty!! We'll be coming back soon.Special Features:
- thanksROryDined on 29/9/2014Pumpkin masala and vegetable korahi are amazing- v good value on top table- thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at a god priceGiroudDined on 19/8/2014The Chutney is a nice restaurant with great friendly staff serving mouth watering food.Special Features:
- Getting Even BetterGaryboneDined on 15/8/2014When reading so many reviews on this great site that some restaurants treat customers on Opentable bookings/offers as second class citizens, I am pleased to report that there is still a friendly welcome to be had here. In fact the service on this trip was even friendlier and more efficient than usual... The money off deals on what is fresh and light tasting, great quality Indian Cuisine are outstanding value I wholeheartedly recommend this restaurant and my wife and I will continue to journey through its varied menu.Special Features:
- Ok Food, Good ServicedustinVIPDined on 25/7/2014First time dining. Disappointed with the quality of food. Curries didn't have any wow factor, it was a homemade meal without much love. However, the service was excellent - the value vs cost is very reasonable. I would have hoped for better taste but wasn't a bad experience. The service is like clock work - doesn't miss a beat. Pity about the quality of food.Special Features:
- Average indianAnonVIPDined on 10/7/2014There are much better indian resteraunts in London to go to than this. If you don't care about quality and want something cheap go hereSpecial Features:
- A Good ReturnGaryBDined on 6/6/2014Great food, lighter and fresher than the vast majority of curry houses. On the down side the service was not as friendly as last time. We had the Thali just to see what would be offered. When we asked what the dishes were in it we were told it "Most were obvious" and spoken to in a slightly patronising way throughout the evening. On a more positive note the Chicken with spinach (Sag) was to die for and justified ordering the Thali as I would never have gone for that on the menu normally. The food was washed down well by a lovely French house white that you could order in carafes of various sizes We will be back with our kids who are in their 20's in a month or so, to see what they thinkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Indian would recommendsEMS79Dined on 19/3/2014In a world where every Indian tastes the same,the chutney does just e ought to stand out from the crowd. Food was good, service excellent and the deal even better. We dined on a Wednesday night and it was a tad quiet, but with a big group of friends it doesn't matter. I would imagine the atmosphere would be good if it was a busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerBeckyDined on 28/2/2014Great food as ever. Never disappointed with the food and service. Good value with 30% off. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as always...CurryfanDined on 20/2/2014Simply can't fault The Chutney! It's always our first choice whenever we're meeting up with friends, or just out by ourselves! Really tasty food, prompt service, and with the TT discount, it's great value... have recommended to many friends, and they've all been equally impressed. The perfect local curry house! We'll undoubtedly be back (again!).Special Features:
- BrilliantluvthechutneyDined on 1/2/2014i have now attended The Chutney probably 20 or 30 times in the past few years. i have never been less than totally satisfied with virtually every aspect of the dining experience. Th food is fantastic every single time. This time, my partner asked the patron if they could do a particular dish that was not on the menu. Of course, he said "yes" and the dish that arrived was fantastic! Keep it coming boys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be local and convenienttickettorideDined on 4/1/2014Little bit disappointed here, quiet without much atmosphere. The food was fairly heavy and the lighting was bright. 12.5% service charge was applied to pre discount price, but would have been optional if no discount had been claimed.
- Good value for moneyMaverickDined on 1/1/2014We entertained friends here and were very pleased. Service was good, food was good and excellent value for money for what we had. Can get a little noisy because of the hard décor but we still enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting and varied menumaneddaDined on 29/12/2013Really liked the menu here, there was a lot of variety (not just your bog standard selection of curries) and plenty of interesting veggie options - would recommend the vegetable biryani which came with a spicy veggie sauce. We shared 5 dishes between 4 of us and the portions were generous but not overwhelming. Particularly liked the fact that the meat curries weren't noticeably greasy! The only negatives were that decor is a little scruffy and our table was in a dark, poky corner - next time I'd request a window table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't have been happierTomoDined on 1/12/2013Great food, convenient location and a very enjoyable atmosphere. The 35% off made a big difference too but was very much appreciatedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1655 reviews are from the The Chutney reviews archive.
- Best curry in LondonKateVVIPDined on 22/11/2013Try the murg Tikka Makhani. The description sounds awful, but the taste will blow your mind. We love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service in WandsworthAmazinggrubDined on 14/11/2013Great to see a team dedicated to making you feel so welcome!
- DisappointingFoodloverDined on 9/11/2013It was my second time at the chutney. It was Saturday night but the food was not fresh at all. It was like the have warmed up a few nights leftover in the microwave. Will not go there again.
- Not up to their usual highJimboDined on 4/11/2013Not up to their usual high standards but good value with the offerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Curry House in WandsworthMattatDined on 19/10/2013Great place for a curry, whether you a want a quiet meal for two or a place for a group of mates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never failsCurryfanDined on 17/10/2013What can I say, love this restaurant! We visit regularly and have yet to be disappointed by any of the dishes - it's great to be able to order anything from the menu without having to wonder whether or not it will be as good as the dish you tried last time. It will be, guaranteed! What it lacks slightly in ambience it more than makes up for in every other way - really great food, good service and excellent value - with the 35% off, it's a winner every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab little Wandsworth Town GemmidweektreatDined on 18/9/2013The food is consistently good here and the 35% food discount makes it excellent value. The staff are always friendly and welcoming too. A firm favourite!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent IndianLewisVIPDined on 13/9/2013This is an excellent local Indian restaurant which consistently serves high quality fresh food at sensible prices. The service is always excellent and very attentive. The only problem is that because it is so good we seem to come more than is good for our waistlines! Keep up the good work!Special Features:
- Best Indian in South West LondonSWfoodieDined on 5/9/2013Certainly my favourite and has to be up there with the best in this part of London. The food is exceptional (always) and the service unfaltering. Recommend the lamb dhansak for those that like some spice and the Goan fish curry for something a little milder.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingluvthechutneyDined on 1/9/2013i am always thrilled with the quality of food and service at the Chutney. I have been dining there for some years ans have never once had a disappointing experience. I recommend it wholeheartedly to any foodie who enjoys food of he highest quality and excellent all round service and facilities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian in South LondonWombleDined on 24/8/2013A firm favourite of ours, never fails to deliver great food & serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Chutney is a rarity -tnmcDined on 18/8/2013The Chutney is a rarity - a great value Indian restaurant with light, delicious greaseless food. A great find, and absolutely consistent over the years we've been going there. And now they've added some new dishes to their menu! Great!Special Features:
- lovely food in a hidden place!DandNDined on 17/8/2013Such a lovely place hidden away with brilliant food and portion sizes. The only issue was an unfortunate drunken crowd making so much noise that it was difficult to concentrate on your food let alone relaxing and unwinding in the lovely restaurant. It was a shame it was not addressed by the staff! Otherwise excellent service and brilliant value for money, recommended to anyone on the right day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodKathrynDined on 16/8/2013Booked last minute on Friday - the food was great, service was good and it was a pleasant evening!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chutney restaurantreviewerDined on 1/8/2013We went along for dinner as a couple on a quiet Thursday night. Everything was very good, we really enjoyed our food and appreciated the opportunity to sit outside given how hot the weather was. The service was friendly and quick, given we were one of only a couple of parties there, I wouldn't have expected anything else to be honest. Given the toptable discount, I thought it was excellent value. Bearing in mind the discount, I would happily go along again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food & excellent serviceCFoodieDined on 6/7/2013Love this place and as it's just a small walk down the road from us, we always come back. The service is impeccible, the staff are very friendly and the food tastes amazing. Best curry house we've been to.Special Features:
- As good as alwaysCurryfanDined on 28/6/2013Another thoroughly enjoyable meal at the Chutney - great food, and great value with the TT offer! This is our regular curry haunt and for good reason! Consistently good food and with a few nice pubs nearby it makes for an ideal evening out. Will be back again v soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!!!NickyDined on 8/6/2013We went to The Chutney for our anniversary, it is a hidden gem and we loved it, the selection of dishes were wonderful especially if you want to try something other than the usual take away curry. The staff were excellent as well, offering advice and suggestions. By booking with top table we also got 35%off food an this made the meal true value for money, well worth a visit and even a return visit!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice fresh foodsamandgabymumDined on 26/5/2013A good choice for a curry locally. The food was lovely and the setting modern and fresh. Overall good, although would have been really expensive without the discount offer. Still haven't found a place to beat Ma Goa in Putney!Special Features:
- Had a wonderful last min mealHolsDined on 22/5/2013Had a wonderful last min meal out to chutneys. Service was great and we went with all the waiters recommendations on which dishes to have and couldn't fault any of them.Special Features:
- First time and wont be thenbutlerDined on 16/5/2013First time and wont be the last, really enjoyed the food. Good vege options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place.....ChrisDined on 11/5/2013I don't eat curry that often but when I do I want it to be good! This restaurant was recommended to me by my daughter and it has now become my curry restaurant of choice. The food is excellent and the service fantastic. There are thousands of Indian restaurants to choose from; this is one of the best.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Chutney continues to serveMSfoodieVIPDined on 6/5/2013The Chutney continues to serve consistently good quality, fresh interesting Indian food, It is a gem and I would recommend it very highly. Give it a try you will not be dissappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, miserable waiters.KC1986Dined on 3/5/2013Good food, miserable waiters. Nice location and solid Indian interiorI would recommend this to a friend.