The Cinnamon Club
The Old Westminster Library, 30-32 Great Smith Street
London, SW1P 3BUNeighbourhood:
IndianPrice: £41 and over
The Cinnamon Club
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cinnamonclub.com/
- Phone: 02072222555x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 9:30am;
Brunch: Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Vivek Singh
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar/Lounge, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
- Catering: We look forward to catering for your party and we can offer a fantastic selection of canapés or dining experience if you have a full-fledged kitchen.
A word from The Cinnamon Club
The multiple award-winning Cinnamon Club in St James’ is like no other Indian restaurant you’ve visited. Set in the former Old Westminster Library – a Grade II listed building still with books lining the walls - it has a grandeur and character that perfectly compliments its outstanding food. The team of 18 chefs, headed up by Vivek Singh, have a creative approach and a distinctive knack of layering flavours with stunning presentation. The imaginative lunch and dinner menus change seasonally. Pre and post-theatre menus are also available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
The Cinnamon Club - Best restaurants in St. James's ›
The Cinnamon Club reviews from OpenTable diners
926 reviews since 4 June 2014
special occasions (531)business meals (490)fit for foodies (422)romance (230)good vegetarian options (220)group bookings (138)pre/post theatre (135)outstanding value (64)sunday lunch (47)brunch (45)child friendly (16)afternoon tea (13)disabled access (4)outdoor eating (4)Show More
- Outstanding FoodKarlLondonDined on 27/9/2014A warm welcome and relaxing drink in the bar before our meal. The quality of the food was amazing, modern Indian cuisine, fresh, infused with subtle spices and a great seldom of wines. A little on the pricey side but well worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElisaDined on 26/9/2014Excellent food and the service is attentive. However, the restaurant lack of atmosphere.Special Features:
- Good food!Anu007Dined on 25/9/2014Indian food with a twist! Interesting dishes and friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Faultless FoodKickabrickDined on 24/9/2014Loved the vibe of the room, great bar knowledgeable staff but most of all the sublime food with amazing attention to detail!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cinnamon club - amazing foodJudiVIPDined on 24/9/2014First visit....food was outstanding taste and quality but the cost not justified and for those with large apettites, the portions small.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 24/9/2014Interesting food combinaions, fish dishes are particularly good. Service excellentSpecial Features:
- Special TreatfoodieDined on 22/9/2014Went for the tasting menu with wine accompanying for a special treat. Food was excellent, and well paced. Flavours were interesting and the spice was present but not so overbearing so while the heat did build the odd sorbet or milder course meant the taste sensations were still able to be appreciated. The wines were pretty well matched with the courses, if a little traditional and unimaginative / unsurprising. Service was efficient and attentive. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RafaDined on 20/9/2014Beatiful bar and restaurant in an old library, delicious modern indian food, good service. And you pay for all that...Special Features:
- Highly recommendedEmrys26Dined on 20/9/2014Lovely atmosphere and very nice fusion food. Staffs were also so professional and friendly. Quite expensive but very good offer with Open Table but we had to wait until 9:30 pm to have our dinner Lovely experience and will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well Below ParBhavDined on 20/9/2014We have dined at many 'fine dining' restaurants in London and i would say, that our experience at the Cinnamon Club on Saturday night was extremely poor. At a high level, i would say the service would be similar to a very poorly run high street restaurant with Michelin star prices. Some points briefly:- 1) Complementary arrival snack (not sure what it is called) was not provided whereas it was to other tables. 2) Had to ask for the wine menu twice before it was finally provided 3) Starter dish (not food) sent back as it was dirty 4) Main course dish (not food) sent back as it was dirty 5) Main course food barely lukewarm 6) Vegetarian selection extremely poor Waiting for restaurant manager to come back to me - lets see if he does.
- Lacked sparkle, but nice enoughSimonbuVIPDined on 20/9/2014I can't help but compare The Cinnamon Club to Gymkhana - and it definitely comes second. The food was very good but somehow lacked flair. The restaurant seemed understaffed for a Saturday night and as such, service was patchy, slow and inattentive. At one time, The Cinnamon Club was a trailblazer in modern Indian dining. Now, it's just OK. A good, solid, high end restaurant - but I wouldn't rush back soon (and please fix the men's toilets too).
- hoorayandlizDined on 20/9/2014The food we ate on Saturday night was outstanding. Starters of chicken and scallops and we shared mains of hake and prawns - absolutely stunning flavours. The lemon tart and cheese, also shared were also sublime. Great service from a waiter who had only been there a week plus others including the somelier. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Indian fine diningGirlfoodieDined on 20/9/2014Came to London for a weekend and wanted a special lunch. We found it here! We had the "Game On" tasting menu which consisted of venison, partridge and grouse as well as sorbet and a lemon tart dessert. Every course was a work of art and the wine flight matched each beautifully. Staff are lovely and very attentive. Would thoroughly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Pork Vindaloo!spwallisVIPDined on 19/9/2014The Cinnamon Club is a little off the beaten track close to Westminster Abbey and not an area known for its nightlife, so it is worth having a cocktail or two in the very comfortable surrounding of the Cinnamon Club bar beforehand, a most civilized way to start your meal. Make no bones about it the prices they charge for their food and wine at the Cinnamon Club are as high as it gets, but there again so is the quality of what they serve. Our meal was superb, I had the Pork Vindaloo which took no prisoners, spicy hot with a sour back note a great meal, my wife had a prawn main course which she showered with equal high praise. Not cheap but still a great ambassador for Indian Cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great staff!lennartDined on 19/9/2014The staff must be commended for dealing very flexibly with part of our party arriving late - professional and friendly all the time, finding a solution that let us enjoy a nice evening (the last bit of it in the very cozy bar). The food was good value for money (we had booked a special deal via OpenTable). Not the best Indian we've had, but absolutely enjoyable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- jjkkDined on 19/9/2014We had the set menu (3 courses and a cocktail) which was great value and the restaurant had a great ambience too. However the food was nice but not amazing. Nothing fab enough to make me want to go back especially with all the other choices available in London.
- Indian with a DifferenceDaveDined on 19/9/2014Lovely spicy Indian food served much drier than the typical British version of Indian food; a truly enjoyable variation. Located in a former library much of the ambience of a classic library is, fortunately maintained.Special Features:
- Good place, wine expensivelove2shareDined on 18/9/2014The food and service was absolutely fantastic. We ordered some house wine which was pretty expensive as compared to food. Overall well done cooked food and nice ambience, well deserved praise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable breakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/9/2014Had a lovely breakfast at the Cinnamon Club. Great service, very tasty food, good coffee, and lovely atmosphere. Thanks!Special Features:
- Great Food with Minimal Fuss.Petemach24Dined on 15/9/2014Great taste, Quality and flavours to savour, remember and bring you back for more. Portions were perfect. The restaurant was and service staff were struggling to cope. The bar in the basement whilst waiting for the tables as a poor experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Meal !!!!TmaxDined on 13/9/2014Just got back from an evening out with my wife and daughter at Cinnamon Club. Very busy !!! Relaxed atmosphere which we enjoy for a Saturday evening. Food really was excellent - service nice and relaxed - Wine list extensive :) We all had the set Summer menu - which was great. But I'm sure all the dishes would have been equally good. The food is quite hot though - but not silly hot Had a lovely eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place but budget for extrasCduffyDined on 12/9/2014Went for the early bird offer of 3 course + drink for £26 with a party of 8. The food and service were very good. Just be careful that extras such as bread, water, drinks and service can add a lot to the bill so better to inform guests in advance.Special Features:
- Delicious Pre-Theater DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/9/2014My parents were visiting from the States, and I wanted to take them to a nice Indian place. The food was incredible and very accessible / delicious to any palate. The ambience of the restaurant was amazing in the Old Westminster Library. Great location near Big Ben and Westminster Abbey. We had a great easy meal before going over to the theater. Service was nice, but we did have to wait a bit after 6PM for the restaurant to open. A little pricey, but definitely worth it for special occasions.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantMattmanDined on 8/9/2014We have an excellent evening. The food and the service were quite good. The setting is very classic and comfortable.Special Features:
- Excellent food, superb service1yrdinnerDined on 6/9/2014We booked to celebrate my husband's birthday. The service was very good and the food was excellent. We had not been there for two years and returning reminded us of how good it really is. We also had a welcome drink on the restaurant to mark the occasion which I thought was a lovely touch. The only thing I would suggest is a fuller description of the dish eg one of our dishes came with rice, we did not know and ended up ordering additional rice which we did not in fact eat. Looking forward to visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlavoursomeWhoolieDined on 6/9/2014although the food descriptions and presentations were not typically indian, the depth of flavours and tastes was most definitely authentically indian. A real treat to anyone who has been to india and seeks real indian spice back in the UK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for brief London stayVisitingAmericanDined on 6/9/2014My wife and I had less than 24 hours to spend in London. We had dinner at The Cinnamon Club following theatre. The restaurant's menu selections offer good variety, helpful explanations and, I think, good value. The food did not disappoint in any respect. All courses -- appetizers, main dish, sides and deserts -- were interesting with bold flavors and stylish presentation. My wife forgot her reading glasses and the wait staff graciously helped her out with a selection of a dozen of more "spare" glasses that I can only assume previous diners must have left behind. Prompt and attentive service, but an unhurried pace and a calming atmosphere. Recommend to others and would myself return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/9/2014We visited on a deal with Red Rose cocktail. The choice was good on the set menu and we were full with 2 courses. Our special requests were catered to and the staff very attentive. Beware the drinks prices. £10.50 for a pre-dinner G&T. (But a delicious one and beautifully delivered).Special Features:
- Good valuebocaDined on 5/9/2014Good value set meal. Cocktails, as expected, were expensive.Special Features:
- Not your average curry!nicola0409Dined on 5/9/2014I was looking forward to my visit to the Cinnamon Club, having visited the Kitchen a while back. The starters were less interesting than the mains, and my scallops were heading towards overdone. My lamb main was very tender, and the spicing was lovely, although not very 'lamby'. We shared two desserts, lemon tart was disappointing with a soggy bottom of pastry, the carrot cake was better. We had to chase up the lentil side dish. Overall I think I was expecting a bit more...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service; mediocre foodJT2110Dined on 5/9/2014I have visited this restaurant twice before for dinner and enjoyed myself on both visits. On this occasion we chose the special offer that was advertised when booking the table. Although this appeared on paper to be good value, the food, especially the chargrilled chicken, was distressingly mediocre and the worst I have experienced in a top-end restaurant in a while. The cocktails were better, and we ordered several. We were asked patronisingly by two different waiters if it was a special occasion (it wasn't), I had to ask for the desert course and additional drinks twice, and glacial pace with which the food was served made us think we'd been forgotten. Perhaps we made the mistake of being black and booking the offer.
- Very disappointing on this occasionARNLondonVIPDined on 5/9/2014From a food perspective (rather than ambience) CC has been my favorite central London Indian restaurant for some time. This meal however was disappointing. The meat (Venison) was overcooked and the side dishes (which are charged separately) were surprisingly bland. Service was fine. I really hope it was just an off day.
- DeliciousSarahDined on 3/9/2014I took my parents for dnner and we had a lovely evening. The food was delicious and the wine was complementing. The service was friendly and our waiter fancied himself as a comedian which was also entertaining.Special Features:
- FairOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/9/2014Everything was fine. Just not very middle of the road. Expensive for standard food in nice surroundings.
- On my "Top 10" ListHungryTigerDined on 1/9/2014This was our first visit to the Cinnamon Club and we chose the tasting menu with the premier wine pairings. Based on the recommendation of this restaurant from a very discerning business colleague, we expected a fine dining experience. Our high expectations were met. At the conclusion of our evening, my wife and I agreed that our dinner at the Cinnamon Club would go on our "Top 10" list of most memorable dining experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cinnamon clubbirdyVIPDined on 30/8/2014Really surprised at how good this was. Beautiful food, understated elegant dining room and knowledgable staff. A lovely night that would only be improved by better air con.Special Features:
- Tasteless mediocre foodSteveVIPDined on 30/8/2014Highly disappointing, although a relaxing and convivial venue. Starters - scallops were good but crab overwhelmed by the accompaniments. Mains - Nepalese stir fired vegetables were dry and tasteless, the promised salad accompaniment more of a garnish and also tasteless and the noodles were simply a pile of dry cardboard. Pork vindaloo also dry and uninspiring. Bread basket contained a mix of breads but they tasted like shop bought and were lukewarm. The waiter did ask our opinion and we said it was mediocre. He said he would speak to the chief but then avoided us, so we paid and left.
- Perfectkin001Dined on 29/8/2014Still my favourite restaurant in London, not just Indian, but all restaurants. It's expensive but worth for a special occasion or on a deal.Special Features:
- A cornucopia of flavoursBigCaperDined on 29/8/2014Our lunch at the Cinnamon Club in Westminster was an impromptu choice that turned out to be spot on. We settled on the set lunch which represents great value. The starter was well presented, in a satisfying portion to accompany the lovely French wine we had with the meal. The service was balanced so we never felt rushed or harassed. The dining room is large so it doesn't have the most intimate feel, but would easily suit a business lunch. The main course was equally nice and we followed on with desert and coffee. The aspect we enjoyed most was wonderfully balanced flavours in the food. The spiciness never felt overbearing. It added to the experience. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good lunchAgricfowlDined on 29/8/2014Went with my wife for the afternoon set menu. Enjoyed the food, especially the spiced cocktail we were served by our very attentive waiter. Have visited twice before and will continue because the food and the service are both excellent.Special Features: