The Cinnamon Club
The Old Westminster Library, 30-32 Great Smith Street
London, SW1P 3BUNeighbourhood:
IndianPrice: £41 and over
The Cinnamon Club
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cinnamonclub.com/
- Phone: 020 7222 2555
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 9:30am;
Brunch: Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Vivek Singh
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar/Lounge, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
- Catering: We look forward to catering for your party and we can offer a fantastic selection of canapés or dining experience if you have a full-fledged kitchen.
A word from The Cinnamon Club
The multiple award-winning Cinnamon Club in St James’ is like no other Indian restaurant you’ve visited. Set in the former Old Westminster Library – a Grade II listed building still with books lining the walls - it has a grandeur and character that perfectly compliments its outstanding food. The team of 18 chefs, headed up by Vivek Singh, have a creative approach and a distinctive knack of layering flavours with stunning presentation. The imaginative lunch and dinner menus change seasonally. Pre and post-theatre menus are also available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
The Cinnamon Club - Best restaurants in St. James's ›
The Cinnamon Club reviews from OpenTable diners
859 reviews since 28 November 2013
special occasions (481)business meals (450)fit for foodies (385)romance (209)good vegetarian options (199)group bookings (127)pre/post theatre (118)outstanding value (59)sunday lunch (44)brunch (40)child friendly (15)afternoon tea (11)outdoor eating (8)disabled access (3)Show More
- Spiced to perfection!YUMYUMDined on 22/11/2014From outside there are few clues that you have arrived somewhere special! The restaurant inside is pleasant enough in its quirky atmosphere of the transformed library. However the real star here is the food! Everything is wonderfully spiced (you do need to like spicy food though as it is not mild), but the range of spice with each different item was wonderful. Starters were Mussels and chopped dates wonderfully spiced and on a tosted brioche slice, as well as a lamb dish that was excellent. For mains we had a char-grilled chicken dish again wonderfully spiced with some garlic naan and served with rice and the Red Deer which was served rare just as I like it, on a bed of spiced vegetables. We also had a couple of sides and finished off with wonderful deserts. A warm Carrot cake (nothing like the awful sweet American cake with cream cheese topping normally served!) which was lightly spiced and served with cinnamon ice-cream and also a creme brulee with lemon and ginger that had good ginger taste without the harsh kick afterwards - sublime! What more can I say. Will definitely go again! Excellent wines by the glass too, but prices are best forgotten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just lacked that final touch.OscarDined on 22/11/2014Overall good. Did not leave me with a feeling that I should go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A busy but very pleasant experienceBristolDined on 17/11/2014Although we are disappointed this place does not open for Sunday evening dinner, we booked for a Monday and enjoyed once again a wonderful Asian and Indian food experience. The flavours are delicately constructed within the food which is presented in a masterful way. It's not cheap, but then it's good, and the staff serve you attentively and well. The downstairs cocktail bar is a great way to wait for the time of your table. Our third visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicolaDined on 15/11/2014We had a fantastic evening at the Cinnamon Club. The food was superb. As a vegetarian, I was delighted to find a real choice between various dishes which were all equally tempting. The surroundings are beautiful and the table linen and plates, glasses and cutlery are classy, all of which made us feel that we were in a special place for a special occasion. The service was extremely prompt and attentive. We never once had to ask for more water or for more wine to be poured. The dishes were also served at an appropriate pace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingAlleyODined on 15/11/2014Reputation exceeded my expectation. Food was ok, but I was expecting to be blown away. Service was rushed. No sooner had we ordered than our starters arrived, then the mains arrived before the starters were cleared. Had to ask if we could wait 10 mins before dessert otherwise we'd have been outta there in under an hour and £130 lighter! Not a dining experience I was anticipating given the reputation, although nothing to complain about, I won't be going back.
- Perfect choiceMallonDined on 14/11/2014Went to have lunch and time to talk with a business colleague. The service was superb from the moment we arrived; we were not rushed but well looked after. The food was excellent and very good value on the set lunch menu. Next time I would like to choose a la carte.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTopovDined on 12/11/2014Friendly personnel, an old Library converted into a restaurant, very original and well decorated, food is excellent, not the classic indian style. However, quantities served were abit short to my opinion. Wine is quite expensive. Overall, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit and I am sure we will be backUsuallyHappyDinerDined on 12/11/2014Visited this restaurant for the first time and as part of my wife Lisa's special birthday celebrations in London. I mentioned that she is lactose intolerant and that it was her birthday in my online booking and the staff were aware of this when we were seated. The food was superb and like no other indian we had ever had. The whole experience in the restaurant was excellent and our meal was capped off with a special lactose free complimentary dessert being presented to my wife together with us both each receiving a complimentary glass of champagne. My only concern is that the gentleman at the door organised a car for us as we left to take us back to our hotel in Mayfair. The gentleman on the door set the price and told the driver of the large Mercedes how much he should expect from us and where we were going. Once we were on our way I became concerned that the car may not have been licensed for farer paying passengers as there were no documents visible inside or on the windscreen or windows. I me came more concerned when the driver had not herald of our hotel or where it was even when I told him the name of the street in Mayfair. I became even more concerned when the driver who appeared to be a bit erratic was then in a side-to-side collision with a black cab when going round Marble Arch. The two vehicles stopped and the taxi driver had some heated words to say and then took photos as our driver got back in the car and drove us off without exchangeing any details. We eventually got to our hotel as a result of me telling the driver which roads to go down, and this is to a hotel not more than a 100 yards or so from Selfridges. All in all the experience in the restaurant was very good but I would guard against accepting help from the doorman if you need a car to take you home afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect tourist traptoothDined on 10/11/2014We made a reservation for dinner on Monday November 10th with our family and were promptly directed to a lesser charming adjacent room instead of the restaurant itself. The young waiter took our orders and suggested us to bring some side orders after taking away the menu cards so we could not look at the prices. He was also very creative into pouring constantly wine into our glasses. This ended in a staggering bill of more than 850 £. This was a perfect example of " how to ruin a good restaurant by bad staff". The result is simple: we'll never come back here.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceLondonTJDined on 8/11/2014went for the first time with some friends from out of town, seeking a good indian restaurant. We were not disappointed. The food was amazing, subtle heat, fine flavours, really enjoyable. Service was excellent, everyone paying attention to all the tables, making sure you were never missing anything.Special Features:
- A special treat for our weekend away in LondonGilly39Dined on 8/11/2014Whenever we visit London, we like to eat at good recommended restaurants. We had recently watched a Saturday Kitchen Live programme on BBC1, where Vivek Singh the Cinnamon Club's Michelin stared chief was a guest chief on the show. His food made our mouths water and we decided to book at the restaurant for the Saturday evening. We decided on the taster menu with associated wines. What a treat! Two & half hours of exquisite food and delicious wine to match, brought to our table by waiters of exceptional experience and genuine love of their offerings. A magical experience - cant wait to do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, mediocre service.thecornishmanDined on 8/11/2014The food, without a doubt, is fantastic. The Sea Bass and Black Lentils were both delicious. Regrettably, the level of service didn't match the price tag.Special Features:
- An Upmarket IndianEDW304VIPDined on 8/11/2014The Cinnamon Club does not fail to impress due to its ambiance, style and generally excellent cuisine. On the night we dined with a close friend the standard slipped slightly. We ordered the special rack of lamb for two, an expensive option, which came sadly underdone - neatly raw in places. The wine choice, guided by the sommelier, was also disappointing but the sommelier got full marks for providing two additional glasses of a better wine on the house. The balance of the meal was superb and its usual imaginative standard, so we left happy at the experience. Service was extremely attentive throughout, but not overbearing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014We went to Cinnamon Club on recommendation that the food and service was exceptional. It was my wifes birthday (I noted this at time of booking) and thought we would try Cinnamon Club. The food was exceptionally good but the service was sub standard for a restaurant like this. Firstly, when we were shown our table, we werent given any attention and had to call the waiter to take our drinks order (after 10mins or so)....secondly, when booking I said it was my wifes birthday and the waiter even asked if it was a special occasion......all great restaurants would then take this information and provide a complimentary dessert or gesture.....Cinnamon Club did nothing at all. Then, when ordering my dessert, the waiter wasn't very interested and was in fact looking at another table when I was speaking to her. Such a shame - great food, poor service and not sure if I would go back.Special Features:
- AAAAVIPDined on 7/11/2014Although the food was generally good, the vegetarian options were poor. The service was not up to standard, the waiters did not seem to understand what was being ordered, and on a number of occasions the wrong order was brought to the table.
- Wonderful experienceDeboDined on 6/11/2014One of the best restaurant we have ever done. We tried the tasting menu, all the plates were delicious and a real pleasure at each bite. The service was great, and waiters were paying attention on our comfort.Special Features:
- Ms MeechpeachreviewsDined on 5/11/2014It was a lovely, busy restaurant. The menu was superb with lots of choice and really delicious flavours. I would definitely recommend to friends. Staff very attentive and friendly. I particularly enjoyed my hake dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early evening mealBungeeDined on 5/11/2014A feel good dining experience....one to remember!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply sublime!JengDined on 5/11/2014Staff were very attentive, kind and caring, food amazing!Special Features:
- Lost its wayfatsageDined on 4/11/2014Have been to this restaurant many times over the years and always had a top notch experience. Unfortunately, on this occasion, it proved to be a very disappointing affair. The service was inattentive and disinterested; waiting staff were unable to answer the simplest of questions about the menu; dishes were either under or over-seasoned and nobody bothered to ask if we actually enjoyed the food. On the plus side, some of the dishes tasted as good as ever, but the whole dining experience lacked charm and warmth. A great shame.
- Sophisticated IndianFrank1927Dined on 4/11/2014I always enjoy the ambience in these unique surroundings; and the food is delicious- Indian with a difference. We had the set lunch which is excellent value, and with a couple of side dishes too is as much as most of us want-to eat at that time of day.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodGastr0GirlDined on 1/11/2014The food is excellent and the set menu offers exceptional value at £26 for 3 courses. I had gurnard fillet to start with raita. The fish was really delicate and perfectly cooked and the raita the best I've ever tasted. I had lamb fillet for main and the spicing is perfect - subtle but absolutely full of flavour. The meat was melt-in-the-mouth tender. For pudding I chose the green apple shrikand with cherry milk dumplings. All I can say is yum! An amazing price for absolutely top-notch food. This must be some of the best Indian food in London. The only downside is that drinks are very expensive so if you're on a limited budget you may want to watch out for the £12 pre-dinner drinks in the bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply wonderfulyorkdonkDined on 1/11/2014The best meal myself and my wife have ever eaten. The precision within which even the most delicate of ingredients are used to supply knockout flavours is to be commendedSpecial Features:
- Good lunchFoodie21Dined on 31/10/2014Delicious food from the three course set lunch menu. Reasonable portions (not too large) but very tasty. Food perfectly cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceGood4foodDined on 30/10/2014We had the taster menu with fine wines. Not the best - disappointing dry, overcooked food with long delays, staff very attentive thoughSpecial Features:
- JDstagVIPDined on 29/10/2014Overall good food and service. Was on offer, but was not given offer menu and so ended up paying the full amount.Not good for the restuarant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't book the last breakfast slot!lovegoodfoodDined on 29/10/2014Food was excellent -- as expected. Setting is lovely. BUT, we booked the 10am breakfast seating, which was the last of the day apparently, so the service was not so good. Staff cleaning all around us. Very little attention to us or our dining experience. Not awful, but we really were made to feel that we had left it a bit late. My view is 'if you don't want people dining past a certain time, don't give the option for booking'; my recommendation is 'The Cinnamon Club is a great restaurant and breakfast there is excellent, but definitely do NOT book for anything later than 930!'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but not greatAshishDined on 28/10/2014Heard a lot about the place - maybe over expectations but did not live up to the hypeSpecial Features:
- CasparthesnoutDined on 28/10/2014It was a very interesting venue, redolent of its past life. We had the set menu which was ok, I'd seen that there was an old style chicken curry in the online sample set menu and I was disappointed it wasn't still there. The amuse bouche was great, perhaps one of the highlights of the meal. And why not Indian style petit fours, laddoo or something similar, with the coffee? It was all ok but I'm afraid I've eaten in better Indian restaurants - in Southall where I often go to work and in Nottingham where the MemSaab deserves its many accolades. The service was very professional and friendly but I'm afraid I wouldn't rush back.
- Quality foodAPSJooDined on 27/10/2014Quality food and service drinks a little expensive but worth it for specula occasions and my daughter thought it all fantastic.Special Features:
- cinnamon clubbirdyVIPDined on 25/10/2014Hugely disappointing night. declined to pay service. Firstly, to be clear, the food when it arrived, was excellent. but the night itself awful. Shown to a table upstairs in the most drab, low ceilinged miserable upstairs back room. Totally neglected. Eventually 45 minutes after we arrived, after going to find someone, a bottle arrived and the food order taken. Another 40 minutes, another walk across the room to ask someone for another drink and enquire where the food was. Long, long wait between courses. It became almost funny to be so thoroughly and totally ignored. Then, to crown it all, the bill came and we were billed an extra 50 pounds for cocktails enjoyed by different table. No apology. No explanation. Not a good experience.Special Features:
- Sat Night at Cinnamon ClubSaffyDined on 25/10/2014Excellent Indian cuisine, very authentic and delicious variety of dishes. This is our third visit and once again the evening was full of very flavoursome food.Special Features:
- Outstanding flavours and serviceMondelDined on 23/10/2014We enjoyed cocktails upon arrival and sat at a table just off the main area - so our party of 4 could easily talk and enjoy wonderful flavours - exceptional fish starter. Superb effortless service - just right attentiveness. Only one slight issue after 2 hours dining we were asked to take coffee in the reception room that broke our convivial conversation around the table but we did oblige.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceicantaffordthisDined on 22/10/2014Terrific food as always: I had a pineapple starter with honey and chili that was almost invisible but delicious. King prawn main course was superb, as was dessert. Waiters did not have a clue: did not know what a chapati was, brought us too many orders of one dish and another dish we had not ordered. Tried to take our plates several times while we were still eating.Special Features:
- Amazing food, even better service!mn6vjDined on 21/10/2014First time at the restaurant. The food was good. It has some good veggie options, it tasted great, along side the cocktails and the wine too. The service was really good. The libray you have dinner in is nice, but didn't have an amazing atmospere or decord really. Didn't feel the true indian theme there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Evening outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/10/2014Took colleagues here for a work meal. Food beautiful and suited the fussiest of eaters! Lovely wine and great service... such a beautiful building. Definitely would come again as a couple or business or friends!!Special Features:
- Overpriced mediocre food & serviceLovegoodfoodDined on 18/10/2014we arrived early for cocktails. Waited 25 minutes for drinks to arrive. Very poor - badly balanced. We had to ask 5 times when our table would be ready. Kept getting fobbed off. Most of the cocktail staff stood around watching while drinks were being prepared. Eventually we were told table was ready - 25 minutes late. No apology. General staff attitude was aloof, disinterested with an air of self importance. Food was very disappointing - 2 of the starters were cold, seasoning lacked subtlety, small portions, nothing memorable. No sense of restaurant having passion for food or interest in experience of their customers. I ate here 3 years ago and it was excellent - something has gone badly wrong since.
- Well worth the Wait!HungryHarrietDined on 17/10/2014I've heard great reviews about Cinammon Club for many years and finally made a last minute reservation and I'm annoyed I waited so long. The food was incredible, the service attentive without being overbearing and we were particularly impressed with the speed with which the food came out without compromising on quality. The only downside would be that the portions could be a bit bigger but overall very impressed.Special Features:
- Outstanding Indian restaurantBeleboDined on 17/10/2014Outstanding food in this excellent Indian restaurant. Nice decor in this former library. Professional service.Special Features:
- deebeeDined on 16/10/2014I am introducing my 21 year old nephew to the delights of good eating in London and the Cinnamon Club proved its worth. The sounds of enjoyment replaced our usual conversation as every mouthful proved that the standard of cooking is amongst the best - if not the best- of its genre in London. That coupled with an attentive and friendly staff made for an enjoyable and mouth watering meal. We shall both return without failSpecial Features: