The Cinnamon Club
The Old Westminster Library, 30-32 Great Smith Street
London, SW1P 3BUNeighbourhood:
IndianPrice: £41 and over
The Cinnamon Club
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cinnamonclub.com/
- Phone: 02072222555x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 9:30am;
Brunch: Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Vivek Singh
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar/Lounge, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
- Catering: We look forward to catering for your party and we can offer a fantastic selection of canapés or dining experience if you have a full-fledged kitchen.
A word from The Cinnamon Club
The multiple award-winning Cinnamon Club in St James’ is like no other Indian restaurant you’ve visited. Set in the former Old Westminster Library – a Grade II listed building still with books lining the walls - it has a grandeur and character that perfectly compliments its outstanding food. The team of 18 chefs, headed up by Vivek Singh, have a creative approach and a distinctive knack of layering flavours with stunning presentation. The imaginative lunch and dinner menus change seasonally. Pre and post-theatre menus are also available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
The Cinnamon Club - Best restaurants in St. James's ›
The Cinnamon Club reviews from OpenTable diners
885 reviews since 1 November 2013
special occasions (495)business meals (470)fit for foodies (398)romance (209)good vegetarian options (209)group bookings (124)pre/post theatre (117)outstanding value (60)sunday lunch (43)brunch (42)child friendly (14)afternoon tea (11)outdoor eating (5)disabled access (3)Show More
- JDstagDined on 29/10/2014Overall good food and service. Was on offer, but was not given offer menu and so ended up paying the full amount.Not good for the restuarant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't book the last breakfast slot!lovegoodfoodDined on 29/10/2014Food was excellent -- as expected. Setting is lovely. BUT, we booked the 10am breakfast seating, which was the last of the day apparently, so the service was not so good. Staff cleaning all around us. Very little attention to us or our dining experience. Not awful, but we really were made to feel that we had left it a bit late. My view is 'if you don't want people dining past a certain time, don't give the option for booking'; my recommendation is 'The Cinnamon Club is a great restaurant and breakfast there is excellent, but definitely do NOT book for anything later than 930!'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but not greatAshishDined on 28/10/2014Heard a lot about the place - maybe over expectations but did not live up to the hypeSpecial Features:
- CasparthesnoutDined on 28/10/2014It was a very interesting venue, redolent of its past life. We had the set menu which was ok, I'd seen that there was an old style chicken curry in the online sample set menu and I was disappointed it wasn't still there. The amuse bouche was great, perhaps one of the highlights of the meal. And why not Indian style petit fours, laddoo or something similar, with the coffee? It was all ok but I'm afraid I've eaten in better Indian restaurants - in Southall where I often go to work and in Nottingham where the MemSaab deserves its many accolades. The service was very professional and friendly but I'm afraid I wouldn't rush back.
- Quality foodAPSJooDined on 27/10/2014Quality food and service drinks a little expensive but worth it for specula occasions and my daughter thought it all fantastic.Special Features:
- cinnamon clubbirdyVIPDined on 25/10/2014Hugely disappointing night. declined to pay service. Firstly, to be clear, the food when it arrived, was excellent. but the night itself awful. Shown to a table upstairs in the most drab, low ceilinged miserable upstairs back room. Totally neglected. Eventually 45 minutes after we arrived, after going to find someone, a bottle arrived and the food order taken. Another 40 minutes, another walk across the room to ask someone for another drink and enquire where the food was. Long, long wait between courses. It became almost funny to be so thoroughly and totally ignored. Then, to crown it all, the bill came and we were billed an extra 50 pounds for cocktails enjoyed by different table. No apology. No explanation. Not a good experience.Special Features:
- Sat Night at Cinnamon ClubSaffyDined on 25/10/2014Excellent Indian cuisine, very authentic and delicious variety of dishes. This is our third visit and once again the evening was full of very flavoursome food.Special Features:
- Outstanding flavours and serviceMondelDined on 23/10/2014We enjoyed cocktails upon arrival and sat at a table just off the main area - so our party of 4 could easily talk and enjoy wonderful flavours - exceptional fish starter. Superb effortless service - just right attentiveness. Only one slight issue after 2 hours dining we were asked to take coffee in the reception room that broke our convivial conversation around the table but we did oblige.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceicantaffordthisDined on 22/10/2014Terrific food as always: I had a pineapple starter with honey and chili that was almost invisible but delicious. King prawn main course was superb, as was dessert. Waiters did not have a clue: did not know what a chapati was, brought us too many orders of one dish and another dish we had not ordered. Tried to take our plates several times while we were still eating.Special Features:
- Amazing food, even better service!mn6vjDined on 21/10/2014First time at the restaurant. The food was good. It has some good veggie options, it tasted great, along side the cocktails and the wine too. The service was really good. The libray you have dinner in is nice, but didn't have an amazing atmospere or decord really. Didn't feel the true indian theme there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Evening outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/10/2014Took colleagues here for a work meal. Food beautiful and suited the fussiest of eaters! Lovely wine and great service... such a beautiful building. Definitely would come again as a couple or business or friends!!Special Features:
- Overpriced mediocre food & serviceLovegoodfoodDined on 18/10/2014we arrived early for cocktails. Waited 25 minutes for drinks to arrive. Very poor - badly balanced. We had to ask 5 times when our table would be ready. Kept getting fobbed off. Most of the cocktail staff stood around watching while drinks were being prepared. Eventually we were told table was ready - 25 minutes late. No apology. General staff attitude was aloof, disinterested with an air of self importance. Food was very disappointing - 2 of the starters were cold, seasoning lacked subtlety, small portions, nothing memorable. No sense of restaurant having passion for food or interest in experience of their customers. I ate here 3 years ago and it was excellent - something has gone badly wrong since.
- Well worth the Wait!HungryHarrietDined on 17/10/2014I've heard great reviews about Cinammon Club for many years and finally made a last minute reservation and I'm annoyed I waited so long. The food was incredible, the service attentive without being overbearing and we were particularly impressed with the speed with which the food came out without compromising on quality. The only downside would be that the portions could be a bit bigger but overall very impressed.Special Features:
- Outstanding Indian restaurantBeleboDined on 17/10/2014Outstanding food in this excellent Indian restaurant. Nice decor in this former library. Professional service.Special Features:
- deebeeDined on 16/10/2014I am introducing my 21 year old nephew to the delights of good eating in London and the Cinnamon Club proved its worth. The sounds of enjoyment replaced our usual conversation as every mouthful proved that the standard of cooking is amongst the best - if not the best- of its genre in London. That coupled with an attentive and friendly staff made for an enjoyable and mouth watering meal. We shall both return without failSpecial Features:
- JS173Dined on 16/10/2014Having tasted their food at various events it was great to actually visit the restaurant. I was not disappointed. The staff were very attentive, the food was delicious and I had a very enjoyable meal with a business colleague.Special Features:
- The Cinnamon ClubDPsoutingsVIPDined on 14/10/2014A mid week lunch outing. We went for the tasting menu with matching wine . To sum up ... excellent. Taste sensations throughout the meal. The food is beautifully presented and the wine pairings are excellent. We drank wines we would not normally consider, very clever despite some very hot spicing in the food. Difficult to identify the best course... all good. The prawn dish was excellent. We couldn't fault the service, a very comfortable place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely range of food; service slowLCO1Dined on 11/10/2014We had trouble getting the attention of staff and making our order understood. Once the food and drinks arrived they were great. We were a part of seven and everyone enjoyed the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but service lackingGMR987Dined on 11/10/2014Really enjoyed the food which certainly lived up to expectation. However, the service was disappointing. The staff were perfectly friendly and polite but inattentive and for a top restaurant this was not really good enough. The pre-dinner drink never came (but did appear on the bill), the wine did not arrive until prompted and then we had to restate what we had ordered. Plates were not cleared away promptly and we had to wait a considerable time to place our dessert menu. It seemed as though the table was somehow slightly invisible.Special Features:
- wonderful!mimiDined on 10/10/2014I spent a wonderful evening with excellent food and wine in a lovely and friendly atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing flavors, beautiful placeauricleDined on 10/10/2014Making a reservation is a great idea, since this is obviously a popular restaurant. It's popularity has to be because of the excellent dishes that are prepared. Wonderful flavors from beginning to end! Our service was outstanding. I love the European approach to leaving me alone to enjoy my meal, but being attentive when I need assistance. Drew was in his first week serving and assisting our main waiter (did not get his name). Both were very pleasant and helpful. Each course was excellent, topped off by an outstanding dessert. I highly recommend the Cinnamon Club. It is not cheap, but this is exceptional food in a lovely environment.Special Features:
- Excellent eveningPamelaDined on 7/10/2014Fantastic food with an amazing choice. Thoroughly enjoyable evening. Staff were great.Special Features:
- good civilized indian foodClareDVIPDined on 7/10/2014but sadly not a patch on Gymkhana, although the lamb cutlet special was particularly good. I know its not classy but everyone knows that poppadums are everyones favourites so why are there none in sight!
- Lots of pressure re overpriced wineAmericanLondonVIPDined on 3/10/2014This restaurant has a great reputation, but we found it really odd that after ordering cocktails (and they were still full) that we were asked about 8 times by different members of staff to choose wine. When we did look, there were no reasonably priced wine selections (i.e., no bottles of white wine less than £40?) that felt off. Sometimes excessively attentive service can be too much, and it needs a rethink.Special Features:
- ElizabethEatsDined on 3/10/2014This was my first tiem at this outstanding restaurant, and I will certainly be going again. The location in the old Westminster Library was stunning, the menu excellent, and quality of the food sublime. I ordered the most expensive dish I have ever eaten - the wagyu steak - and it was memorable and worth it. Service was a little forgetful at times. All in all, a wonderful eveningSpecial Features:
- Always a pleaseureFoodieVieVIPDined on 3/10/2014The Cinnamon Club has become a must for my visiting family and friends from overseas. The food is innovative and tasty, service is always top notch. My Dad who does not normally go for Indian food love it there!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where did the Indian cuisine go?SunRunnerDined on 3/10/2014I've eaten here 3 times since 2005 and am less impressed each visit. The first time was full of surprises and flavors - expensive but worth it. The second in 2011, the food was very good, but not exceptional and not exceptionally flavored or adventurous. The bar still had some unique offerings such as cardamom-spiced vodka. Now, in 2014, all the "Indian" seems to have disappeared, and the bar could have been one of hundreds of others. Our meal was decent, but the menu's overall variety has diminished greatly. Gone are the array of "amuse bouches" (instead, one sad little fritter the size of a marble), and gone - woefully - is the spiced vodka. The ambience is as stunning as ever, but the kitchen is floating on past glories...Special Features:
- RoodeyDined on 3/10/2014This was a repeat visit and it prooved to be just as enjoyable as the first time - the service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovetodineDined on 2/10/2014Nice place. No sound proofing and very very loud. Waiter kept forgetting to bring us what we ordered. Long waits Waiter not genuinely interested - seemed very stressed Asked for taxi to be booked - was booked a private taxi which was way over priced. Luckily we found another taxi. Food was good quality, but didn't have a wow factor to it.Special Features:
- Upscale Indian CuisineRickDined on 1/10/2014The food choices and the spices for the meals were excellent. The waiter was very helpful with making choices. The little extras - an extra starter and the "sweets" at the end were extra specialSpecial Features:
- Noisy nice, but expensiveFionaHDined on 1/10/2014Had very noisy people beside us and the acoustics meant we could hardly hear ourselves across a table for two. Food was very good but expensive. Delightful ambience in bar area downstairs, staff were very friendly and service slick.
- Lived up to it's reputationLondonLuvieDined on 30/9/2014I've been meaning to go for years ... it was worth the wait. The cuisine was brilliant, the best Indian food I have had in England. Beautiful touches on each dish. The service was OK but if I was looking for a comment on what to improve, the waiters could have been more attentive.Special Features:
- Outstanding FoodKarlLondonDined on 27/9/2014A warm welcome and relaxing drink in the bar before our meal. The quality of the food was amazing, modern Indian cuisine, fresh, infused with subtle spices and a great seldom of wines. A little on the pricey side but well worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElisaDined on 26/9/2014Excellent food and the service is attentive. However, the restaurant lack of atmosphere.Special Features:
- Good food!Anu007Dined on 25/9/2014Indian food with a twist! Interesting dishes and friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Faultless FoodKickabrickDined on 24/9/2014Loved the vibe of the room, great bar knowledgeable staff but most of all the sublime food with amazing attention to detail!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cinnamon club - amazing foodJudiVIPDined on 24/9/2014First visit....food was outstanding taste and quality but the cost not justified and for those with large apettites, the portions small.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 24/9/2014Interesting food combinaions, fish dishes are particularly good. Service excellentSpecial Features:
- Special TreatfoodieDined on 22/9/2014Went for the tasting menu with wine accompanying for a special treat. Food was excellent, and well paced. Flavours were interesting and the spice was present but not so overbearing so while the heat did build the odd sorbet or milder course meant the taste sensations were still able to be appreciated. The wines were pretty well matched with the courses, if a little traditional and unimaginative / unsurprising. Service was efficient and attentive. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RafaDined on 20/9/2014Beatiful bar and restaurant in an old library, delicious modern indian food, good service. And you pay for all that...Special Features: