The Commonwealth Kitchen
25 Northumberland Avenue
London, WC2N 5APNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
The Commonwealth Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.searcys.co.uk/the-commonwealth-club/commonwealth-kitchen/
- Phone: 02077669200
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Wine
A word from The Commonwealth Kitchen
Forget everything you think you know about private members clubs because The Commonwealth Kitchen restaurant of the noted Commonwealth Club in central London will undoubtedly defy expectations. A short walk from Trafalgar Square and the banks of the Thames, The Commonwealth Kitchen is a dazzlingly modern temple to design within the confines of traditional old Victorian architecture. A bright and airy space, all sharp lines and immaculate white paint, the room’s centerpiece a revolving wall of contemporary art from Commonwealth artists is unlike any other London dining room, feeling young, fresh and vibrant. Head chef Oliver Tobias is the man behind The Commonwealth Kitchen’s thoughtful, eclectic menu of European classic dishes given a Commonwealth-centric twist. Likewise, the wine list combines labels from the new world modern empire with a handful of beloved old world favourites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Commonwealth Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
- Commonwealth Kitchen2oldiesyoungatheartVIPDined on 19/2/2013This was meant to be a quick pre-theatre meal but turned out to be one of the best meals we've had for a long time. The greeting was friendly, the service was attentive and outstanding, and then the food exceeded all expectations. Most certainly plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner reviewsmithVIPDined on 18/2/2013We went for a pre theatre meal here and the service was excellent. Lovely ambiance and good choice of food at a reasonable price. Extras included amazing bread and a small soup as a taster. Wine was a little expensive but the overall value of the meal was very good. Staff were attentive but not overly so. Quick turn around for us as we were going to the thetare but you could ahve stayed longer. I would recommend.Special Features:
- Tranquil OasisMarlowDined on 15/2/2013The Commonwealth Kitchen in London's Northumberland Avenue WC2 is well hidden amongst imposing office buildings. It's modern and tranquil interior was a revelation. Staff were friendly and attentive, the food was superb, and the wines recommended complemented the dishes perfectly. The pre/post theatre meals were excellent value anyway, but with Top Table's 40% off food it was a bargain. Our only concern was that the restaurant was almost empty on a Friday night. While it made us feel us feel we'd discovered a little known secret we were also worried how long it could survive if this was the norm. In short - this restaurant is a gem - go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality beats quantitybrucieVIPDined on 15/2/2013The Commonwealth Kitchen is a favourite of ours and we are always amazed that it is not fully appreciated by the grazing masses. Service, food and value all rate very high. Portions tend towards the nouveau cuisine in size but the food is very well-prepared and tasty. We never leave feeling we haven't enjoyed the meal. Service is first-class and we have no hesitation in recommending CK, particularly with the TT deal of 40% off food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ValentinesLoobooDined on 14/2/2013Had a nice romantic valentines meal here last week. Food was delicious considering it was a special offer, although noticed they had it on their website too, but very reasonable for the standard of food and the day. Only very minor grip was that we asked to swap our 2 glasses of champagne (in the deal) for a bottle of fizzy mineral water (as we're training for the marathon) but they charged us for the water anyway, other than that all perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C.K experienceJulesandJohnDined on 13/2/2013We very much enjoyed our meal. The staff were very attentive and the food good. The surroundings were a bit sterile and the temperature in the restaurant could have been slightly higher in keeping with a cold February evening, but apart from this we would happily make a return visit to the Commonwealth Kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative food, decent portionsbackgammonfiendDined on 13/2/2013We had an early valentine dinner at the Commonwealth and enjoyed it. The menu was a mix of the traditional with the exotic, and the monthly Commonwealth specials were particularly appealing. The meal was great value with the 40% offer; service was very attentive and the wine list nicely laid out. The ambience could have been more intimate (room a bit airconny) but we had a very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really goodMarkVIPDined on 11/2/2013A lovely venue with great food and good value, always seems strangely quiet considering how good it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kitchen its notyummyVIPDined on 11/2/2013This club venue offers excellent seasonal food with a twist - the market menu is often a good choice but with the TT offer on the a la carte this is a great place to go. Very good game in season and charming staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service but v quietLdndinerDined on 7/2/2013Went with 3 friends on a Thursday night for dinner. Food and service were great with very good attention to detail. There were at most two other tables in the grand surroundings, and it felt uncomfortably quiet. We were the only table for a good hour at the end, and we left shortly after 10.Special Features:
- Highly recommended.NigSterDined on 7/2/2013Excellent venue for a quiet dinner, from a varied menu, in attractive surroundings. Close to the West End and yet without the crowds and noise of most of the Restaurants in the area. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Good food but not much atmosphere!OB10Dined on 6/2/2013Food is of good quality and reasonable value. The venue itself is a little weird, with what appears to be an internet room upstairs and only 3 other tables booked for lunch mid week - made for a slightly awkward ambiance.Special Features:
- Great. Again.GreedyBenjyDined on 1/2/2013Another great meal at the Commonwealth Kitchen. The food is always interesting with plenty of attention to detail. And our waiter was great, making us feel welcome and special. Would highly recommend, especially when the a la carte discount makes it a bargain right now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good menu and food toKevinDined on 1/2/2013Very good menu and food to match. The Commonwealth Kitchen has a great location and is very smart however it lacks a little in atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time..GooseyVIPDined on 1/2/2013... and just as nice. The food really is gorgeous.Special Features:
- I read lots of great reviews1Diner23Dined on 1/2/2013I read lots of great reviews about this restaurant so that's maybe why I was a bit disappointed when it was not so 'perfect'. Food was very good but that's what I would expect for this price. Service was ok, however they came to ask us twice what do we want to drink.. I appreciated that waiter wanted to know when do we need to leave and he was nice overall. Ambience was not great as there were very few people and the whole space was kind of 'cold'. I thought this restaurant was known for pre-theatre dining so I would expect it to be a bit more lively at 7pm on Friday night.
- Actually lived up to expectationsGomeraDined on 25/1/2013Reading the reviews I hoped for a good dining experience and wasn't, disappointed. Service excellent and food was just as good.Special Features:
- Very elegant food at the C KitchenandreiVIPDined on 23/1/2013The Commonwealth Kitchen is very centrally located, in a beautiful grand building, yet very sparse decoration and modern interior. Lots of space between tables, which is a real luxury! Very elegant food with lots of flavours. A real foodie treat.Special Features:
- wanting a quiet meeting with foodEatOutDined on 22/1/2013We wanted somewhere not too noisy for a business meeting and neither of us had had dinner. I chose this as the review said it had good food and yet was surprisingly empty. And it did exactly what it said on the tin. We got a plug socket for the computer. The wine was very drinkable, the food good and original (not spectacular). I am a food lover so I set quite a high standard, and this met it with ease. Don't eat here if you are looking for trendy or stmosphere, but if you want quiet good food, it has it. The price was right for the quality provided, but with the Toptable offer it was it was frankly a bargain. I would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post Theatre Dinnerfoodie61Dined on 22/1/2013We thought the food was excellent but rather let down by the fact that the veg ordered to go with our meal came after we had nearly finished. Service overall a bit slow, I had to stop my husband exiting restarant before pudding as it took so long to come after ordering. We were taking advantage of the 40% off food offer so it was excellent value and they still gave us all the nice bits before the food we had ordered, and even brought me something different from the fishy ones as I cant eat fish. Would return for the food although at full price the portions are not huge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very pleasant and unhurried meal1885Dined on 22/1/2013We chose the Commonwealth Kitchen for a family meal and were not disappointed. Good quality food, well cooked and well presented with attention to detail from a charming service team. Really nice to have an unhurried meal at a relaxed venue where the tables are not crowded together and you can have a proper conversation. Very good value with the 40% food discount but would not have been unreasonable at full price. Think we'll be back.Special Features:
- The CommonwealthKitchenOwlscouseVIPDined on 18/1/2013Our first visit to The Commonwealth Kitchen was a wonderful surprise. Hidden away inside the club is an oasis of tranquility offering an interesting menu. Beautifully cooked food, I had the Cornish lamb with steak, delivered quickly (we were off to the theatre) and with impeccable service. We would definitely go again when we had time to linger. Great value via Toptable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy eaterHappy2eatDined on 17/1/2013This meal was a disappointment. Toptable write ups led us to perhaps expect too much.The main problem was ambiance. There was no buzz. A large high ceiling room with widely spaced tables and seating for about 50 had no more than a dozen diners at 7. 30 in the evening. The tables were functional wood topped "school dinner " tables with no table cloths. Service was good and attentive. Food was good with meat portions adequate but too little vegatable to make the meal satisfying.Unable to supply a side dish of spinach (or anything else apart from carrot and mash) even though spinach (a tiny portion) was part of my main course. The Toptable discount made the overall cost reasonable but we wre more interested in a memorable dining experience.
- Excellent as ever...FoodDined on 17/1/2013I have been to CK many times for my monthly family catch up, and it never fails to impress. The food was excellent and great value, even at 40% of rather than the previous 50%. The special of lamb cutlets with aubergine cavier (more like puree but still delicious) were perfectly cooked, and the crab cake starter was light but substantial. The only thing lacking in this restaurant is the amibience - it is pretty white and stark, but if you're with good company, the food and the service will make up for it. Service was excellent, friendly, informative, but discrete.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to be a favourite of mineFitincubusVIPDined on 16/1/2013...I just wish more people realised how good the food is and what value it is - and frequented the restaurant! Every time I've eaten there the ambience just lets the restaurant down because it is so empty. Listen to me everyone, this is worth walking down Northumberland Avenue...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- club grubyummyVIPDined on 14/1/2013A cut above the usual club grub the Commonwealth Kitchen consistently has seasonal produce beautifully presented. On the top table deal this offers good value as the wine is fairly priceySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodgraceDined on 10/1/2013I always love this restaruant and with half price off a la cart menu, it is heaven to me! the attention to details there is incredible! I enjoyed thouroughly from start to finish! I cannot find any other restaruant that is as good as that yet.Special Features:
- OutstandingEdDieVIPDined on 9/1/2013One of the best TT dinners I have had. Truly outstanding food and great value on TT offer. Clearly a chef who puts great care into the menu and the food itself.Special Features:
- great new discoveryElsieDined on 9/1/2013why isnt everybody talking about this? very fine food even on the pre-theatre menu.Special Features:
- Stunning food!GDineDined on 9/1/2013I booked a pre-theatre dinner menu for ny friend's birthday and was completely blown away. Superb value for money that included speciality breads, amuse bouches and truffles truffles. Each course was exquisitly presented and utterly delicious. We had two waiters who were very attentive and sweet and seemed to be very proud to work there knowing what reactions there would be to each course. The only downside is that it was a little quiet but I think this is purely because nobody knows about this gem of a restaurant! I'm definitely returning and quite possibly this is my most favourite restaurant in central London that delivers at a spectacular price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was exceptional -foooooodDined on 17/12/2012The food was exceptional - and even though we had been stuck in traffic and couldn't complete the toptable offer fully, we were still given exceptional service and the staff really tried their utmost to make our experience as pleasant as possible, even though we had to rush dinner and head to our show. I would definitely go back to enjoy at a more leisurely pace. The food looked like it had come out of one of the top michelin restaurants and tasted wonderful. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SoullessHnSSDined on 14/12/2012Can't fault this restaurant for quality of food, service or value but the room is so soulless. The dining room has a mezanine floor above it with what looks like an internet cafe, walls are a stark white and it feels like you are sitting in a hotel lobby. A shame as the food was very good.
- Very nice setting and generallyNickDined on 13/12/2012Very nice setting and generally good food and menu, but the food service was far too slow for a business lunch - had to ask where our courses where a couple of times
- Frosty Startsw44Dined on 30/11/2012First impressions I have to say wasnt good. We were greeted by a very unfriendly lady who I think was the manager in charge. Very cold and abrupt and not welcoming at all. Our waiter made up for it and was very friendly and attentive. The atmosphere is strange and brightly lit and really didnt have an atmosphere. The food however was very good and good value for money. I would go back for the food but not much more to be honestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classy and goodpeteDined on 29/11/2012We had a very nice meal presented and served beautifully. There are some unusual twists on the menu worth trying especially the chefs special dishes. Will be on our list to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smart and deliciousfdl1Dined on 27/11/2012A perfect setting for a relaxed, well looked-after and delicious evening out. Nice background music, not too loud, well-spaced out tables, very good food and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb dining experienceFionaDined on 26/11/2012The restaurant was lovely and food was delicious, we had amazing service. I will definitely go back, with top table deal the value was amazing. It's a smart venue, not a jeans place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find...GooseyVIPDined on 23/11/2012.. outstanding food at brilliant prices. The salt marsh lamb starter was a revelation and one I'd love to repeat soon. It was barely half full on a Friday night, which had a big impact on the ambience given the high ceilings and modern hard edges. It's worth a repeat performance for the wonderful food though.Special Features:
- Quiet, discreet tablesjdcahDined on 23/11/2012We went to The Commonwealth Kitchen for dinner at 8pm on a Friday night. The food was delicious and staff very friendly but it was extremely quiet and only about 5 other tables were full- not what we were expecting! Perhaps not many people know about this place?! Would definitely return for a midweek dinner or lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful venue and good foodFoodieDined on 23/11/2012Was not busy on a friday evening. Enthusiastic staff, nice food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.