The Compasses at Pattiswick
Pattiswick, CM77 8BGNeighbourhood:
EnglishPrice: £25 and under
The Compasses at Pattiswick
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thegreatpubcompany.co.uk/
- Phone: 01376561322
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 12:00pm - 2:30pm and Dinner 6:00pm-9:30pm Saturday 12:00PM - 2:45PM and Dinner 6:00pm - 9:45pm Sunday - 12:00PM - 3:30PM and Dinner 6:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, English
- Executive Chef: Nick Dearsley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Seats up to 22 people for lunch or dinner as well as the perfect venue for meetings and away days. Peace and tranquility combined with wonderful views across the Pattiswick countryside!
- Private Party Contact: Jade Gooding 01376671322
- Entertainment: The Compasses at Pattiswick hosts fantastic music nights monthly. Our next Live music entertainment is Bodgers Mate an old folk jazz band on January 20th 2012. For more information on our live music please visit our website www.thegreatpubcompany.co.uk
- Special Events: 2012 Music line up already announced including Bodgers Mate, 50's & 60's night, Michael Buble Tribute, Frank Sinatra Tribute and many more.... For more information please call 01376 561322
A word from The Compasses at Pattiswick
An 18th Century Inn, The Compasses at Pattiswick underwent a major refurbishment in late 2005 and has been transformed into a relaxing country pub. The mixture of old and new materials, natural floorings and exposed beams has ensured the pub has retained a cosy atmosphere combined with a contemporary modern twist for diners. The focus at The Compasses is to offer freshly prepared locally sourced produce, in a relaxed and friendly environment. Catering for business lunches, family parties or a romantic dinner for two it’s the perfect venue for an escape to the countryside. Aside from the two bars and restaurant, the Compasses has a Private Room suitable for business meetings, private parties or just a family gathering. Combined with the extensive patios and large garden, The Compasses at Pattiswick is just about able to cater for your every need.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Compasses at Pattiswick - Best restaurants in Coggeshall ›
The Compasses at Pattiswick reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since 24 May 2014
special occasions (32)sunday lunch (24)fit for foodies (20)outdoor eating (13)group bookings (13)child friendly (12)romance (11)brunch (11)business meals (10)good vegetarian options (9)outstanding value (8)disabled access (7)afternoon tea (5)Show More
- Good Food As alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 23/8/2014have been visiting The Compasses for many years, The Dinning experience never fails to impress i would recommend The Compasses to allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed dinnerdontoftencomplainDined on 23/8/2014Food was average for a restaurant that charges slightly above average prices. My partner chose a pork steak for her main course which was acceptable, but the skin that everyone wants to be crackling was soft and leathery - a blow-torch could have got that crackling in no time! The pork steak was accompanied with mashed potato that was so full of butter that it was inedible. I like butter, but even I found it inedible. She then chose a lemon posit for desert. It was enormous - very rich, very solid and far too large a portion whereas my Blueberry and Almond Tart was small and not particularly tasty. A disappointing dinner for £60! Won't use this restaurant again as this is the second time that we have been 'disappointed'.
- Another fine lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/8/2014Thank you Compaesses - we all enjoyed our lunch. There were so many tempting choices on the menu it was difficult making a choice. Clearly we will need to visit again soon to try the other options! Service was top notch too.Special Features:
- jayjayDined on 2/8/2014Good range of food, some locally sourced. Friendly and unhurried service. A very good time had by all whenever we go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/8/2014Very nice pub excellent food , real ales in a quiet rural setting. Been several times both times excellent.Special Features:
- Silver DinerUnsatisfiedDined on 3/7/2014After inspecting the 'Specials' board I decided on the Hake, it was still fairly early in evening so was surprised when I was told that they had ran out of it, but the option of Hake had not been removed from the board. After re-looking at the menu again I was forced to pick something that I did not really want. ( the choices were somewhat sparse and OTT). After we had ordered we decided that we would like some Olives while we were waiting, and ordered them. They arrived WITH the starter, which is NOT what we were expecting. Later in the meal again we ordered something and again it did not arrive until we prompted the staff that we would like it NOW, not when they felt it was right. Overall the evening was fair but unsatisfactory in parts.Special Features:
- widgerDined on 21/6/2014very good evening ,food was excellent , not long to wait for food , the waitress was a little clumsy at times but still a very enjoy time .Special Features:
- Mediocre and disappointingJLorenDined on 13/6/2014Disappointing return visit to The Compasses for a birthday dinner. Food was mediocre, service was very slow (we waited half an hour for our order to be taken) and despite staff apologising and explaining it was very busy, half the tables were empty. Presentation of food was poor, and some of the plates/bowls were chipped. At £75 for 2 courses, a £16 bottle of wine and 2 pre-dinner drinks, I was hoping for a more enjoyable experience. We didn't bother with dessert as we didn't want any more let downs! I think this gastropub has gone downhill since my last visit two years ago, which is a real shame as it's such a lovely venue and we have had some lovely meals here in the past.Special Features:
- Worth the driveFoodieHack1Dined on 7/6/2014Good food and excellent service made for a memorable evening with our friends. Plenty of choice too. Well worth the drive into the country!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable.ClairefoodieDined on 18/5/2014I went with my family, including children for Sunday lunch.The menu suited everybody. The service was wonderful and there was a bouncy castle too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice foodFood1982Dined on 4/5/2014The decor, food and service was lovely. Unfortunately, we had to be moved as my grandparents were freezing as we were sat next town open door. Once moved, we were sat next to a very rowdy group who seemed to think everyone wanted to hear their expletive filled conversation. It was a shame,as everything else was lovely.Special Features:
- Sat eveningDisappointedDined on 3/5/2014My husband and I ate here on sat. Evening the restaurant is very comfortable and spacious, the menu was ok but the the starters we ordered were bland soup waterey and my satay chicken flavourless, my main wasn't much better my first choice lamb was all gone so went for the duck firstly it was a small portion over powered by the red cabbage and it was over cooked and dry really disappointing. My husbands steak was good though we didn't bother with desert as felt ripped off with other courses nut cheap about £16 for a main . Wouldn't eat on an evening again but would do a sun lunch maybe.Special Features:
- Bank Holiday LunchumtaliladDined on 21/4/2014Went to Pattiswick for lunch to celebrate my sons birthday. As my wife and daughter in law are a bit picky as far as food is concerned it was very gratifying to hear their appreciation of what they had to eat. Most grateful to the fact that their dog was also made welcome. This has not been my only visit to the Compasses, was very happy to find that the standards have been maintained and would recommend this establishment to anyone who appreciates good food and surroundings.Special Features:
- Early evening dinnermb1311Dined on 19/4/2014Friendly staff, reasonabley priced wine excellent foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another visitEat4fourDined on 18/4/2014We really enjoyed this restaurant. Our second visit this year. Food lovely. Would recommend.Special Features:
- special dietsClaireDined on 14/4/2014You need to double check with staff that what they serve you is suitable. I have twice been served gluten containing food which has been marked gluten free on the special menu provided for those with special dietary needs. In other respects this is an excellent place for a mealSpecial Features:
- We enjoyed the relaxed attentionGroomiesDined on 16/3/2014We enjoyed the relaxed attention to detail; good food; plenty of space between the tables; friendly and cheerful staff; this was our first visit but will definitely be back to try a meal after a ramble in the lovely countryside setting. Thank you allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsEat4fourDined on 28/2/2014A most relaxing evening with friends who all enjoyed their choice from the menu and the specials boards. The service was excellent and very well presented. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little slice of Essexcmk45Dined on 21/2/2014The Compass was recommended and it did not fail to please.We were looking for a country pub,with good food.We were blessed with a sunny day,but feel we would have had a good welcome whatever the weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and friendlyJdw31Dined on 15/2/2014I haven't been here for many years and was not disappointed with the changes to the decor. The food has always been excellent and it was on this occasion too. The venison was cooked just right for the main and the desserts were great too. The atmosphere was peaceful( we sat down at 6:30 pm) and when more people arrived it just felt a good place to be. The service was very good and friendly. Just for reference, we ordered from a Valentines menu, so cannot comment on the main menu. :) *******Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening mealRJS11Dined on 25/1/2014We were looking for somewhere to eat between Braintree and Colchester and found The Compasses on the internet beforehand. We booked our table online, which was quick and easy. It is a little oasis up a country lane, but so glad we found somewhere serviing quality fresh food in a lovely setting, than eating at the more obvious visable options en-route. The welcome was very friendly and well organised, a relaxed atmosphere, plenty of space between tables so you could have a private dining experience rather than feeling you're sharing your meal with lots of other people. The room we were in was a bit cool, but it was very cold outside and they had given each table a portable heater, so that was fine. I would certainly visit again and recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gastropub, lovely locationtired0fcookingDined on 18/1/2014The Compasses at Pattiswick between Braintree and Coggeshall is at the top of a winding country road, and by the time you round the last corner you may be wondering if you'll ever get there, but, trust me, it's worth persevering. This is a fine, comfortable gastro-pub with log fires in winter, a terrace for summer dining and outstanding and imaginative food, beautifully presented. The sticky treacle-cooked pork ribs were the best, stickiest and most tender I've ever eaten. Giant prawns came with a pile of wonderfully crispy vegetable strips and an asia-inspired sauce. Their fish and meat dishes are excellent, and puddings are both lovely to look at and even lovelier to eat. So it's well worth the detour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aussie night outMaggieRDined on 3/1/2014We took some Australian friends to eat at The Compasses as we wanted them to experience an English gastro pub at its best and it didn't disappoint! Excellent food and wine and good service- we will definitely go back. The only negative thing was that the restaurant was quite cold - fortunately we all had sweaters and so kept them on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect birthday!ChrisDined on 15/12/2013I visited with my girlfriend and best mate to have a birthday lunch. We were early but we're seeted straight away. The food was great, enough to time was given to eat your food and settle before the next course however food was served promptly with a smile. Once finished we returned to the bar where we felt some comfortable that we then spent the next 3 hours drinking and chatting. To summarise, great food, great atmosphere and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed our return visitluvthewineDined on 2/12/2013We enjoyed our return visit to the Compasses, having the offer lunch menu which was really good value with no stinting on the vegetables or portion sizes. All clearly home cooked. Usual good service. Tempted to try the Christmas lunches/dinners at 19.95 for three courses, coffee and mince pies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could't fault it!SallyVIPDined on 23/11/2013Friendly tentative staff, yummy food and great wine list. My first visit and my partners visit in a while and he joined the wine club which sounds fab. Great menu and very reasonable. Very pretty, down to the detail of the wild flowers on the tables and lovely surroundings. Worth a visit and we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday LunchSamskiDined on 20/10/2013This was our second visit to your lovely restaurant, to celebrate a family birthday. Wonderful food, beautifully presented in a lovely relaxed atmosphere. Very interesting and varied menu, and I would certainly recommend you. Can't wait to make another visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had an excellent meal hereinsearchofrealfoodDined on 27/9/2013Had an excellent meal here with friends. The staff were friendly, the food very good and the wait between the courses was just right. Will definitely eat here again and look forward to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RegularOssiebodDined on 22/9/2013Been here many times, its always good. Very relaxed atmosphere, never rushed or hurried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 475 reviews are from the The Compasses at Pattiswick reviews archive.
- Excellent LunchlikepubgrubDined on 19/9/2013Had an excellent lunch. Food delicious, good choice on menu, friendly service and good value. Thoroughly enjoyed!Special Features:
- Great for kidsCharles80Dined on 8/9/2013Venue- Great cosy building, with good ambiance given the number of other diners. Outdoor space was really good for my kids who enjoyed the bouncy castle and climbing equipment. Food- Selection was good, both for adults and kids. However i thought the Roast Pork was quite smalll and more like a couple of rashers of Bacon. My friends said the same re the beef. These were the more expensive items on the menu, so had expecetd better value. Only other comment that only one real ale was on tap at the time. A greater selection woudl have been good. Overall we had a good time.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable experienceAdinerDined on 8/9/2013Really enjoyed our meal. Its very good for children with play area & bouncy castle. We really enjoyed our time there. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveninglikepubgrubDined on 30/8/2013Everything about our evening at the Compasses was perfect. The food was excellent and arrived quickly - great choices on the menu too. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful and there was a great atmosphere there.Special Features:
- lovely food and nice for familiesjennylonglegsDined on 27/7/2013we have visited many times before and always received very good service. The food as always was lovely, good choice and good quality. Would definitely recommend this to friends for either a get together for a group or for a nice family or friends meal. We liked the meal very much. The price was good too, very reasonable for the quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner for sevenpeterDined on 27/5/2013The compasses is a delightful restaurant overlooking open expanses of Essex countryside, yet a short drive off the A120. The welcome is warm and the dining room is quiet and comfortable. The varied menu included some interesting dishes. The Haggis scotch egg (duck) was particularly good. The wine list was reasonably priced and the overall meal was excellent value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the meal was made better byloveabargainVIPDined on 26/5/2013the meal was made better by the beautiful sunny daySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately empty when weSixfbreeDined on 12/4/2013Unfortunately empty when we arrived and still had to wait to get served. Anxious that the pub website showed chef vacancies required - and they did!! £ 90.00 for two was just not good value.Special Features:
- Nice Country publuvthewineDined on 8/4/2013The Compasses at Pattiswick serves food made by real chefs at reasonable prices. Welcomed on arrival, the service is relaxed but efficient. A good all round experience which will ensure you visit more than once!I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDisappointedDined on 6/4/2013I have been to this restaurant a number of times in the past and enjoyed the meal immensely. This time was truly awful. The waitress made many mistakes with our order and forget desserts entirely. In addition, I found the food itself to be rather amateurish and either too strongly flavoured or no flavour at all. I will not visit again.
- Have eaten here often,AlwayshappyDined on 6/4/2013Have eaten here often,Always good food and good service and reasonable price. What more can you ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.