The Cross at Kenilworth
16 New Street
Kenilworth, West Midlands CV8 2EZNeighbourhood:
Gastro PubPrice: £26 to £40
The Cross at Kenilworth
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecrosskenilworth.co.uk/
- Phone: 01926853840x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday 12:00-14:30
Sunday - 12:00-16:00
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 18:30-22:00
Saturday - Friday 18:00-22:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Adam Benette
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Cross at Kenilworth
The Cross at Kenilworth is a pub restaurant serving excellent food, cooked by award winning chefs. The Cross started out as an inn back in the 19th century and was recently refurbished to reveal its original features. Expect a warm welcome, friendly service and stunning dishes, cooked using the very best local ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Cross at Kenilworth - Best restaurants in Kenilworth ›
The Cross at Kenilworth reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since 22 October 2013
special occasions (64)fit for foodies (57)romance (32)business meals (25)sunday lunch (14)good vegetarian options (12)outdoor eating (11)group bookings (9)outstanding value (9)disabled access (6)brunch (5)afternoon tea (4)child friendly (3)pre/post theatre (3)Show More
- Relaxing Sunday LunchWijit1066Dined on 19/10/2014Sunday 19th October; fantastic Sunday lunch. Hugely enjoyed by the whole family from 8 to 68. Service generally good, although dipped a little towards the changeover between lunch and dinner. Three course meal was excellent. Risotto starter one of the best. Bar area was lovely, with a good selection of wines and lager, would be nice to have a local beer too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty but SuperQofQDined on 19/10/2014Took two friends for the Sunday 3 course lunch option and sat in the delightful oak-panelled dining room. Good size portion of vegetarian risotto with seasonal pumpkin; glad to have a choice of vegetarian food for the main course too - unusual in most places on Sundays - but my companions found the wine sauce with their chicken and roast potatoes far too salty. The chocolate tart was the highlight of pudding - enjoyed the gingerbread ice cream and mini doughnuts myself. Very reasonable prices on the wine list. Would recommend, with a friend or two. Delightful service despite a very busy room.Special Features:
- Very niceRdldcdDined on 18/10/2014Nice food at a fair price....friend said hake was best fish meal she had ever had! Service slow at times but overall a good experience.Special Features:
- Having been to six Michelin starDavidh1234Dined on 17/10/2014We were expecting a dining experience similar to the six Michelin star restaurants we hav visited over the years ...unfortunately this was not the case. The restaurant lacked real ambiance, we were seated by the front of house manager (polite but not very friendly ) up a corner next to the kitchen which was a little noisy. The waiters were efficient and prompt but not knowledgeable about the food. Food was good, presentation was bad. Overall it was expensive and lacked a quality feel .I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday night outingNovezanDined on 16/10/2014First class food served with flair, excellent service and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 16/10/2014Simply fabulous. Worth every penny. Every course superb, especially the deserts. Potato "fish scales" on the sea bream looked amazing, so the presentation was as good as the taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet dinner for 2ColetteDined on 14/10/2014Excellent food in a bustling pub like atmosphere, in general the service was good. Recommended. Initially we were shown to a small table next to the kitchen, we wanted to talk over dinner but the noise levels made this difficult. We were quickly and politely moved to a quieter table also benefiting from more comfortable chairs. Service was prompt and efficient; my only criticism would be the red wine served a little warm for my liking and the overfilling of our wine glasses.Special Features:
- Sunday LunchAnnethDined on 12/10/2014The starter and pudding were excellent but between us we had the roast lamb and the roast beef. Because my friend has parkinsons disease I had to cut her meat up for her and the lamb was quite tough to cut, also the pink beef was also very tough to cut until we were given a serrated knife. The flavour of the meats was good but both could have done with an extra 10 minutes cooking or sliced much more thinly. We described the meats as chewable but not melting.Special Features:
- The Cross is out of this worldBangerDined on 11/10/2014Food excellent, service excellent, atmosphere excellent. The best meal I have ever had. Fantastic job guys.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- specialCarolneDined on 11/10/2014We had a lovely meal but some portions were a bit small. The ambience was very friendly and relaxed. Although I appreciate a look into the kitchen I would have preferred to sit further away from the kitchen opening because the traffic around there was a bit hectic.Special Features:
- Really Great FoodLuvgudfoodDined on 10/10/2014This was a birthday treat from my husband and a very nice one at that! The food was beautifully presented and tasted every bit as good as it looked. The portion sizes were just right so we were able to eat the delicious sourdough bread as well as our chosen three courses and enjoyed every last little bi! Service was excellent too! We personally would not be able to afford to eat here all the time but we are so happy to have found somewhere that we can go to for special occasions knowing that it is a treat worth paying for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very special restaurantGalerie167Dined on 9/10/2014It is easy to see why The Cross has recently been awarded a Michelin Star. The ambience, the service and especially the food were all absolutely faultless. I can't recommend this restaurant highly enough.Special Features:
- not what we expected - disappointedcauliflowerDined on 9/10/2014As the cross had just won an award, we decided to try it for dinner. We ordered a main course a dessert. The main course was slow cooked belly pork, mash and cabbage, when we received it, both mash and cabbage was luke warm. We had to send it back because it wasnt hot enough to eat. The staff were very apologetic and replaced it, but we received it again, mash luke warm! We didnt feel we could send it back again. We then had a dessert which was chocolate tart and brioche pudding. it was fine, but not great. The staff did not charge for a glass of wine which was nice. overall very disappointing for what we paid.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014A great dining experience, very relaxed and the food was of very good quality with generous portions and reasonable prices.Special Features:
- The Cross on a Wednesday nightTVRGIRLDined on 8/10/2014Starters great, worth the Star, main courses and puddings not outstanding although tasty. Food needs to be hotter for me.Special Features:
- WOWOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014I booked a table for my husbands birthday after hearing from a work colleague that it was a lovely place to go if you want to spoil yourself. My husband is a chef and has had many years experience working in some high class restaurants in London, including The Ivy and Groucho Club. We have been looking for a good place to eat for a long time and always seem to come away slightly disappointed. We both thought the service, food and presentation of the dishes at The Cross were fantastic. I wanted to take photos of my food, Sea Bream with scales to show friends but chose not to. I am already looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Fantastic modern British cuisine!hispanoperuanoDined on 7/10/2014We've been coming to this restaurant regularly with international speakers visiting our University and they've all been impressed by the quality of the food at The Cross.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experienceLadyMDined on 5/10/2014We went for Sunday lunch in a big room with sunlight streaming in. Our starters were excellent; celeriac soup was particularly delicious; interestingly presented with a garnish of chestnuts. Our main courses (roast beef, Hake, beetroot and goats cheese) were less exciting but well cooked and tasty. The dessert was an anomaly; the bay Pannacotta itself was lovely but accompanied by too many other things (doughnuts!) that really didn't need to be there. The service was friendly but slightly amateurish. The wine list gave no information and the waitress could not tell us anything about the wine either. I am very happy to have a Michelin starred restaurant near where I live but there are some little things that need ironing out here.Special Features:
- A taste sensationLifeCoach23Dined on 4/10/2014First Class Food, combined with First Class Service... A taste sensation, in more ways than one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a StarQofQDined on 4/10/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the crispy yet soft-centred duck egg with white beans; excellent sour dough; enormous and tasty fennel risotto; delicious petit fours. New Michelin star well-earned. Service a bit hectic possibly due to popularity and a couple of larger tables taken nearby, so waited 45 minutes for food - worth the wait Coming back next week with mother in law hoping to impress her with a Sunday lunch. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Lovely lunchVege4mepleaseDined on 1/10/2014We had an absolutely super lunch here and the vegetarian menu was brilliant.Special Features:
- supurb!finedineDined on 27/9/2014Amazing food, lovely atmosphere & great service...well deserved its Mitchelin star*!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 20/9/2014Ok so this is not the cheapest night out that you will have, far from it, but what you will get is an excellent experience, the food was outstanding, cooked and presented to perfection. I have been to a lot of Restaurants, but this by far tops the lot. The staff are friendly and accommodating, I took some friends out for a celebration so it needed to be perfect and it was. Would I recommend this restaurant and would I go back, definitely, but I will have to save up first, this is a prime example of "You get what you pay for".Special Features:
- The CrossfoodieDined on 19/9/2014Had our first meal at The Cross, Kenilworth last Friday. Food was excellent and the service very attentive - if occasionally too much so with pouring the drinks. The staff were very accommodating when I asked for a mixed salad instead of the starters on the menu, and although this had to be checked with the chef first the salad was perfect. For main courses we had the beef cheek and the squab pigeon, both of which were excellent, and the beef meltingly tender. Portion sizes were good and we decided not to have a dessert. But petit fours came with the coffee which were also very good. Would definitely go again but it is quite pricey (almost at London prices) so fo special occasions only.Special Features:
- Thoroughly enjoyable.SausageloversDined on 9/9/2014We had a lovely evening, good service, excellent food and wine. My son had recommended this place and we certainly go again.Special Features:
- Great foodChinoDined on 29/8/2014Excellent food exquisitely prepared. Had a fantastic meal there for my anniversary. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Outstanding FoodBenJarnsDined on 23/8/2014Simply incredible food, have to say, it was the best experience I've had at a restaurant. Would be hard pressed to find better, for that I applaud The Cross.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, fantastic valueTonyPDined on 17/8/2014We took my sister and her husband for a birthday meal on Sunday and had the Sunday lunch menu. The food was stunning, the beef was so very tender it's making my mouth water just thinking about it. We had read some reviews of how good it was prior to booking and we weren't disappointed. The garden is a fantastic suntrap (if you're lucky enough to get some sun lol) and very prettily laid out. The restaurant itself is quaint and you can tell you're in a good establishment, but it's not ostentatious. Highly recommend a meal out here for any occasion. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatAb89Dined on 15/8/2014After wanting to eat at the cross for a while, I was really looking forward to going there... I was disappointed. Food was not up to the high standard I expected, the starter was nice and pudding was too but main was not great. I had the beef cheek, the meat was ok but it came with macaroni which was a strange combination.. Didn't go well together. Very over priced for the standard of food. There's other places around that are a lot better for a much more reasonable price.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and Friendly ServiceBazbasDined on 14/8/2014My wife dined at The Cross for a Valentine's Day lunch. We were so impressed that we decided to celebrate our 2nd Wedding Anniversary there. We were not disappointed. The food was excellent and the service efficient and very friendly. We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistanteat2muchoutDined on 10/8/2014Since changing hands here, the food here is unrecognisable from before,(THANKFULLY) A different league all together. Superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something specialGettingonDined on 8/8/2014Excellent meal. Lovely surroundings and service . This restaurant is a real find as it is quite special. It deserves a very good reputation for its high standards across the board. This was our third visit in recent months and it was faultless.Special Features:
- Special OccasionsparkyDined on 6/8/2014We chose The Cross to celebrate my birthday with friends who were visiting from Ireland. The restaurant was recommended to us and we were not disappointed. The quality of the food was excellent and the service superb, I would definitely eat at The Cross again.Special Features:
- Highly Recommended!FreeAsABirdDined on 2/8/2014Absolutely beautiful meal, the waitresses really couldn't do enough for us. The restaurant itself feels very sophisticated, with tasteful decor and lots of natural light streaming through the windows. The vegetarian menu had a good selection and the wine menu was huge! I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone. Especially couples looking for a romantic setting!Special Features:
- Special occasionBeansarebestDined on 1/8/2014Food interesting and excellent quality. Rather expensive, so save for a special occasion, and don't collect hangers-on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top table comes to WarwickshireFineboucheDined on 26/7/2014Visited the cross as joint birthday celebration with my wife this weekend. Neither of us strangers to the hospitality industry we had high expectations. Chef Director Adam Bennett was at the pass in person...not being one to only lend his name... and he didn't disappoint. Presentation at the Cross is with classic precision. However, the flavours.....oh wow what taste.....washed over us like wave after wave of pleasant surprise as each dish was tasted Though we are in Kenilworth it is fair to say these are not far off London prices but worth every penny. This has to be very close to the pinnacle of British cooking at this moment in time. I suspect it will not be too long before the men at Michelin are polishing up a new star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wilkom1Dined on 26/7/2014Service was the only area I would be slightly negative about. Staff asked the same questions 3 times on 2 occasions and forgot an additional order, although this was subsequently removed from the bill. The food was very good, although rather expensive. Overall a good experience, but not a regular dining experience due to the expense. £120.00 for 2 people for 2 courses with wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where to eat?jonboyDined on 26/7/2014Coming to a hotel near Kenilworth for a weekend and not wanting to eat at the hotel for two nights we wanted to try somewhere else. So glad we did. Booked with open table but a telephone call am Saturday from The Cross 2 confirm. The starter of tomatoes and goats curd set the bar, the extra sour dough bread added bonus points and the main course of Pollock for wifey and my rib eye did not disappoint. They were cooked and presented perfectly. The staff were attentive but not overbearing. Overall a quality meal, slightly higher price than the norm. Worth it? I would say yes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful place to celebrate!pattiDined on 25/7/2014We had fabulous food, friendly and attentive service and a wonderful evening at the Cross, only spoilt by the long wait for the taxi at the end of the evening. Not the fault of the Cross of course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wife's Birthday.....HaydnDined on 20/7/2014Went to the Cross some years back, so decided to go back on my wife's birthday. Everything was great apart from the length of time to get the food out. 13.30 booking and eventually left at 16.20. Staff were very apologetic but when you have a 5 years old with you sitting for nearly 3 hours is a bit much. Apart from that food amazing and lovely atmosphere.Special Features: