The Cross at Kenilworth
16 New Street
Kenilworth, West Midlands CV8 2EZNeighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: £26 to £40
The Cross at Kenilworth
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecrosskenilworth.co.uk/
- Phone: 01926853840x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday 12:00-14:30
Sunday - 12:00-16:00
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 18:30-22:00
Saturday - Friday 18:00-22:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Adam Benette
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Cross at Kenilworth
The Cross at Kenilworth is a pub restaurant serving excellent food, cooked by award winning chefs. The Cross started out as an inn back in the 19th century and was recently refurbished to reveal its original features. Expect a warm welcome, friendly service and stunning dishes, cooked using the very best local ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Cross at Kenilworth - Best restaurants in Kenilworth ›
The Cross at Kenilworth reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since 19 May 2014
special occasions (39)fit for foodies (37)romance (20)business meals (19)sunday lunch (10)outdoor eating (7)group bookings (5)disabled access (5)outstanding value (5)good vegetarian options (3)brunch (3)afternoon tea (3)child friendly (1)pre/post theatre (1)Show More
- Thoroughly enjoyable.SausageloversDined on 9/9/2014We had a lovely evening, good service, excellent food and wine. My son had recommended this place and we certainly go again.Special Features:
- Great foodChinoDined on 29/8/2014Excellent food exquisitely prepared. Had a fantastic meal there for my anniversary. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Outstanding FoodBenJarnsDined on 23/8/2014Simply incredible food, have to say, it was the best experience I've had at a restaurant. Would be hard pressed to find better, for that I applaud The Cross.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, fantastic valueTonyPDined on 17/8/2014We took my sister and her husband for a birthday meal on Sunday and had the Sunday lunch menu. The food was stunning, the beef was so very tender it's making my mouth water just thinking about it. We had read some reviews of how good it was prior to booking and we weren't disappointed. The garden is a fantastic suntrap (if you're lucky enough to get some sun lol) and very prettily laid out. The restaurant itself is quaint and you can tell you're in a good establishment, but it's not ostentatious. Highly recommend a meal out here for any occasion. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatAb89Dined on 15/8/2014After wanting to eat at the cross for a while, I was really looking forward to going there... I was disappointed. Food was not up to the high standard I expected, the starter was nice and pudding was too but main was not great. I had the beef cheek, the meat was ok but it came with macaroni which was a strange combination.. Didn't go well together. Very over priced for the standard of food. There's other places around that are a lot better for a much more reasonable price.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and Friendly ServiceBazbasDined on 14/8/2014My wife dined at The Cross for a Valentine's Day lunch. We were so impressed that we decided to celebrate our 2nd Wedding Anniversary there. We were not disappointed. The food was excellent and the service efficient and very friendly. We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistanteat2muchoutDined on 10/8/2014Since changing hands here, the food here is unrecognisable from before,(THANKFULLY) A different league all together. Superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something specialGettingonDined on 8/8/2014Excellent meal. Lovely surroundings and service . This restaurant is a real find as it is quite special. It deserves a very good reputation for its high standards across the board. This was our third visit in recent months and it was faultless.Special Features:
- Special OccasionsparkyDined on 6/8/2014We chose The Cross to celebrate my birthday with friends who were visiting from Ireland. The restaurant was recommended to us and we were not disappointed. The quality of the food was excellent and the service superb, I would definitely eat at The Cross again.Special Features:
- Highly Recommended!FreeAsABirdDined on 2/8/2014Absolutely beautiful meal, the waitresses really couldn't do enough for us. The restaurant itself feels very sophisticated, with tasteful decor and lots of natural light streaming through the windows. The vegetarian menu had a good selection and the wine menu was huge! I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone. Especially couples looking for a romantic setting!Special Features:
- Special occasionBeansarebestDined on 1/8/2014Food interesting and excellent quality. Rather expensive, so save for a special occasion, and don't collect hangers-on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top table comes to WarwickshireFineboucheDined on 26/7/2014Visited the cross as joint birthday celebration with my wife this weekend. Neither of us strangers to the hospitality industry we had high expectations. Chef Director Adam Bennett was at the pass in person...not being one to only lend his name... and he didn't disappoint. Presentation at the Cross is with classic precision. However, the flavours.....oh wow what taste.....washed over us like wave after wave of pleasant surprise as each dish was tasted Though we are in Kenilworth it is fair to say these are not far off London prices but worth every penny. This has to be very close to the pinnacle of British cooking at this moment in time. I suspect it will not be too long before the men at Michelin are polishing up a new star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wilkom1Dined on 26/7/2014Service was the only area I would be slightly negative about. Staff asked the same questions 3 times on 2 occasions and forgot an additional order, although this was subsequently removed from the bill. The food was very good, although rather expensive. Overall a good experience, but not a regular dining experience due to the expense. £120.00 for 2 people for 2 courses with wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where to eat?jonboyDined on 26/7/2014Coming to a hotel near Kenilworth for a weekend and not wanting to eat at the hotel for two nights we wanted to try somewhere else. So glad we did. Booked with open table but a telephone call am Saturday from The Cross 2 confirm. The starter of tomatoes and goats curd set the bar, the extra sour dough bread added bonus points and the main course of Pollock for wifey and my rib eye did not disappoint. They were cooked and presented perfectly. The staff were attentive but not overbearing. Overall a quality meal, slightly higher price than the norm. Worth it? I would say yes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful place to celebrate!pattiDined on 25/7/2014We had fabulous food, friendly and attentive service and a wonderful evening at the Cross, only spoilt by the long wait for the taxi at the end of the evening. Not the fault of the Cross of course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wife's Birthday.....HaydnDined on 20/7/2014Went to the Cross some years back, so decided to go back on my wife's birthday. Everything was great apart from the length of time to get the food out. 13.30 booking and eventually left at 16.20. Staff were very apologetic but when you have a 5 years old with you sitting for nearly 3 hours is a bit much. Apart from that food amazing and lovely atmosphere.Special Features:
- always consistenteat2muchoutDined on 19/7/2014Food since the change here is a million miles from how it was before. It is now a total dining experience and the deserts are just amazing. The owner of Simpsons has made this tired old pub into something completely different. Bravo!Special Features:
- The Cross, KenilworthDeaco1267Dined on 19/7/2014If you are a foodie, go here. The food is a real treat and surely it won't be long before a Michelin Star is awarded ! Totally recomendSpecial Features:
- Lovely time2LadieswholunchDined on 18/7/2014My friend and I had a beautifully cooked lunch and a very pleasant afternoon at The Cross. The service was good and the staff very friendly. We went out to their garden for our after lunch drinks. The sun was shining and we stayed there for ages, we were reluctant to leave. There was a barbeque on offer in the garden and several people seemed to be enjoying themselves. When we next feel like a treat we shall certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnerjmlcelebrationDined on 28/6/2014Venue was great, was able to see food being prepared from our table . Very busy when we went. Food arrived hot , beautiful attention to detail tasted delicious.Staff friendly and helpful. Would visit again if in area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worthy of a Michelin starModoDined on 28/6/2014The food in this restaurant is head and shoulders above anything in the area. It isn't cheap but the food is some of the best we have experienced. It won't be long before this place receives a Michelin star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem!ACreviewDined on 28/6/2014Beautiful decor, fitting with the age of the building, but yet modern. The food and presentation was amazing, I opted for the guniea fowl, which was cooked to perfection, never had it better. Living and dining in London there are many restaurants, but this was better than most even in London! Definite recommendation!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty but expensiveBandGDined on 26/6/2014Can't fault the food although it's a limited menu - excellent starters and the duck and the bream were very good. We used to visit The Cross regularly before the food went downhill as it was excellent value for money. The food is certainly good now, but not a place we will visit regularly as it's expensive and perhaps a bit pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring back the Old Cross !OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 21/6/2014Hardly anyone in the restaurant..... And after we were given the very limited menu we realised why !! Overpriced is an understatement ..... Food was good but not incredible..... Four of us ... 3 starters, 4 mains, 3 deserts, 2 bottle of wine and a few drinks in the bar..... £275 ....... Won't be going back .
- Super lunchDollyDined on 18/6/2014Recently took my daughter for lunch - couldn't fault it. Superb food, service and ambience. To top it all the bill for 3 courses, a glass of wine, mineral water, coffee and petit fours was an amazing £68. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A diamond in KenilworthwarwickshirevenuesDined on 14/6/2014Our son took us to The Cross for an early Father's Day treat, and what a treat it was. It was the best meal we have had in a restaurant for some time. The service was excellent, with even the water glasses regularly topped up by the waiter as opposed to us having a jug on the table to serve ourselves. The wine waitress was extremely knowledgeable and could answer all of our queries. The choice on the food menu was extensive and each dish was cooked to perfection, being plated and then served with no detail overlooked. Considering the standard of the food and the level of service, the price was not unreasonable, and we left the restaurant feeling that we really had had a wonderful experience. We will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodlordroseberyDined on 12/6/2014second time we have visited in recent months and the food is astonishingly good and very good value for money. Amazing desserts compliment wonderful sea food.Special Features:
- Dreadful, won't be returning!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014Firstly the kitchen has been opened out into the restaurant so that people can see it. We were given a table next to the kitchen and spent the whole evening having to listen to the chefs shout orders at one another etc. this is certainly not what people want. This completely ruins the whole restaurant, who on earth wants to look at the chefs prodding the food with their fingers and listen to them talking and shouting all night. Ridiculous! Secondly, the food was what can only be described as dreadful. Considering it is so expensive you would expect a good quality. Went home starving and had paid £200. All others in the party thought it was awful. Such a shame as The Cross was always fantastic before it changed hands.
- Very high standard of foodCovDinerDined on 24/5/2014The new chef clearly has higher standards than previous chefs and has whipped the kitchen up into shape. It was clear that he was also trying to do this with the waiting staff who were not quite as slick as the kitchen operation. Food was very well prepared and equally well presented and served. Great flavours using seasonal produce. The restaurant has clearly had a step up in quality recently. Would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Wonderful!FabfoodyDined on 24/4/2014This was our first visit since the new owner and chef took over, and I cannot wait to go back. We ordered from the set lunch menu, which is fantastic value at £25 for tree courses. The mackerel with horseradish was a fantastic combination, the ham hock and celeriac remoulade full of satisfying flavours, as was the pork belly. My hake was beautifully cooked, though a little salty. However, I use very little salt, so it could just be my taste buds. The lemon posset was a delight, with the rhubarb topping, gingerbread ice cream and spied madelaines. The dining room is lovely and service was perfectly timed. A really wonderful lunchtime experience.Special Features:
- Birthday mealButtsDined on 19/4/2014We went for my daughters birthday on recommendation from friends whom had tried it a few weeks before, my daughter has a nut allergy and not a keen meat eater, not only did they check everything for nuts but also had a lovely meat free option, we also had a very tasty meal which was evident in the cleaned plates. We would definitely be returning and would recommend it to othersSpecial Features:
- Good to Have You Back In TownSimmoDined on 4/10/2013Our champagne came with wine glasses not flutes, the coffees had long been drunk before the petit fours arrived, and the acoustics need softening with some fabrics before we dare take our in-laws, but these are minor teething issues for the new team at The Cross. The staff were bright, cheery and eager to please. And as for the food…. The scallop ravioli was a very pretty sight; the beef cheek melted in the mouth and was accompanied by all sorts of perfectly prepared morsels; if you ever thought cabbage was not for you then give the side dish a go – mouth-watering; nice puds, and then the final highlight in the form of those petit fours – heaven on a stick! Welcome back Andreas… we have missed Simpsons in town. Our meal was yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SundaymarchingontogetherDined on 29/9/2013Welcome back to the Cross. Food as great as we expected, service also very good, a few teething problems, but only the 4th day. Go try it! For my wife and I, the best place to dine in Warwickshire in our opinion. Well done Andreas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 232 reviews are from the The Cross at Kenilworth reviews archive.
- First visit.like2dineDined on 16/8/2013I can't comment on all categories above after just one visit. Disappointed by menu. I had been recommended by a friend and had looked on line at the menu which bore no resemblance to actual menu which has a very poor choice -.just a very few dishes- and each of us would probably not normally have selected what the low choice offered. The food, however, was exceptional-each course beautifully cooked and presented. The staff were excellent - friendly, very helpful,;extremely efficient and very accommodating. All the staff who waited on us were very impressive and worthy of praise. We enjoyed the evening very much but will be disappointed if the menu doesn't become more extensive following the refurbishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding RestaurantTonyDined on 12/8/2013Really good food, brilliant service. Would reccomend to friends and also return for another meal soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very relaxed atmosphere, butsskidsDined on 3/8/2013Very relaxed atmosphere, but intimate at the same time. Staff were very attentive without being in your face and only interupted when was appropiate. Special diet was catered for at the highest level i've ever experienced and all traces of gluten were removed, without compromising the taste of the meal. Only bad point was hubby was brought the wrong dessert and although the staff apoligised, there was no refund given, even though i had eaten mine before his new dessert arrived. Not the cheapest place, but you get what you pay for and we would happily pay it again. Will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely afternoonnycl111Dined on 14/7/2013I booked the cross for myself and my boyfriend's 3rd year anniversary, we have visited the cross previously a few times in a big group and have always enjoyed it. Once again the cross didn't disappoint, the food was gorgeous, the staff were lovely and we had a really nice meal. The value for money is outstanding, I have paid at least double elsewhere for the same standard of food. I will continue to visit the cross, thank you for making our day very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent location and ambienceEdorn71Dined on 12/7/2013The location in Kenilwirth is such that it is not struck by traffic on the high street and the decor and ambience is very good.Special Features:
- Good food - shabby table.TuckDined on 12/7/2013We went for a 50 th birthday celebration. Booked table on line before hand - still rang to make sure it was OK. - nice guy on phone said. " don't worry - we will look after you ". Sat outside at a quite battered table - there were 5 in our party so they'd put two table together - which were different heights. Not so slick. However the waitresses were attentive, even if it did take 20 mins for drinks to arrive. Orders were placed , and turned up another 20 mins later- they were busy. Smoked salmon starter was really excellent and beautifully presented. Pork main meal same - not massive, but enough , and cooked expertly - pulled pork croquette was lovely. Everyone had a good meal and we will definitely go back for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing...MolliesMumDined on 29/6/2013Fantastic food and lovely surroundings - but as first time and potential repeat visitors we did not expect to be seated at a table immediately next to the kitchen and servery. The service was poor - wine glasses were removed from table without our being asked if we would be having any wine; the amuse-bouche arrived at the same time as the starters - and the staff didn't seem to understand why that was an issue; and generally we found the staff to be rather supercilious. The food was excellent, but the whole dining experience was spoilt by the poor service. We shall not be returning.