The Cross at Kenilworth
16 New Street
Kenilworth, West Midlands CV8 2EZNeighbourhood:
Gastro PubPrice: £26 to £40
The Cross at Kenilworth
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecrosskenilworth.co.uk/
- Phone: 01926 853840
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday 12:00-14:30
Sunday - 12:00-16:00
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 18:30-22:00
Saturday - Friday 18:00-22:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Adam Benette
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Cross at Kenilworth
The Cross at Kenilworth is a pub restaurant serving excellent food, cooked by award winning chefs. The Cross started out as an inn back in the 19th century and was recently refurbished to reveal its original features. Expect a warm welcome, friendly service and stunning dishes, cooked using the very best local ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Cross at Kenilworth - Best restaurants in Kenilworth ›
The Cross at Kenilworth reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since 26 November 2013
special occasions (88)fit for foodies (76)romance (45)business meals (34)sunday lunch (20)good vegetarian options (13)group bookings (13)outdoor eating (12)outstanding value (11)disabled access (7)brunch (7)pre/post theatre (5)afternoon tea (4)child friendly (3)Show More
- Great fooddingleberryDined on 22/11/2014Dined here for my girlfriends birthday and from the minute we arrived the service was swift, accurate and polite. The food was delicious and prepared with a great attention to detail. A few drinks at the in house bar is a great way to finish off your meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first visit to The Cross restarantTheblondebirdDined on 15/11/2014Living quite locally and the restaurant having a mitchelin star we took friends to the restaurant. The food was excellent. The only things that let it down for us was 1. The plastic place mats on the table and 2. The staff could have been more attentive. However all in all we enjoyed it. I do however believe if you are paying mitchelin star prices a white table cloth would be nice. (Maybe I'm getting old!!!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Cross at KenilworthDaveDined on 14/11/2014An outstanding restaurant. The food is heavenly. You would pay at least twice the price for a similar meal in London or even Birmingham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cross, KenilworthRogerBDined on 13/11/2014The Cross has recently been award a Michelin star. The new management and chef have moved this restaurant from a former position of being a good local restaurant to one making it a clear leader in the local area. There is plenty of choice even on a restricted lunch menu and there always seems to be a good, imaginative, vegetarian option The aim seems to be excellence at a reasonable price - which is being achieved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Great Surroundings - Great ServiceTomPDined on 12/11/2014We went to The Cross for our anniversary - A special Plate with white chocolate writing and chocolate truffles was presented to us after our 3 course meal free of charge The food was amazing - the service was great Menu could have had one or two more options on but there was a good variation We look forward to coming back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastronomic excellence.DrLeevilDined on 8/11/2014The food is always fantastic at the Cross but last Saturday's meal was the best yet. My fillet of venison with haggis, potato and bacon terrine and roast root vegetables was perhaps one of the best meals I have eaten in the last 5 years. Absolutely exquisite combinations of flavours and cooked to perfection. Simply superb.Special Features:
- First but not last visitRobbiethelabDined on 7/11/2014A gem - fantastic food (special mention for the pumpkin risotto and the venison). Have already booked next visit with more friends. It will be interesting to see how the menu changes because I don't want to eat the same thing every time and I'm not wild about beef cheek or pork belly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodAsh1Dined on 7/11/2014The food in the new version of the Cross was truly outstanding. However, we were among the earliest dinner guests, and the staff in the kitchen were talking loudly to each other, and that ruined the ambience somewhat. After half an hour, the restaurant filled up, and then the staff started to work quietly. Overall, the experience was good.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food and ServicekatieDined on 7/11/2014I couldn't fault the evening meal I had at the Cross in Kenilworth. It was a fantastic culinary experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/11/2014Very pleasant Sunday lunch, excellent food, nicely served.Special Features:
- great balancegutsyDined on 31/10/2014we last ate here years ago in its former life as a pub that did food. What a great difference. The food service and attention to detail is exectly hat you would expect and no suprise that it now hs a Michelin star.....keep going for the 2nd!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great.LeakywelliesDined on 28/10/2014The food was very, very good, not mind blowing in flavours for somewhere with a star but all the same very, very good. Presentation was excellent as was the service from our waiter. Whilst there were quite a few diners, there was a lack of atmosphere, no soft background music, although music was turned on after most diners had left much later, lighting was too bright making the room feel very stark, dimmed/softer lighting would have enhanced the lovely room for an evening meal and created a more relaxed atmosphere. Excellent value, 3 people, 3 courses and a shared cheese course, drinks and coffees £165. Overall very good and would certainly recommend.Special Features:
- Birthday mealGormandiserDined on 28/10/2014Having experienced Michelin-starred dining for the 1st time at L'Enclume this summer, we decided to celebrate my Fiancee's birthday at The Cross in Kenilworth and we were both very impressed by the whole experience. The service was excellent, the food was superb and the prices were very reasonable. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday LunchRavsDined on 25/10/2014Had a very enjoyable lunch last week. The standard of the food and the service was first classSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As expectedalipDined on 23/10/2014When we were told that the Cross had a new chef we gave it a try and weren't disappointed. The sample menu was the actual menu and although limited choice due to freshly cooking everything it was great. The bread was amazing too.Special Features:
- The Cross, KenilworthSkybluesarahDined on 22/10/2014Absolutely excellent food accompanied by very attentive staff who really looked after us. I took my Mum and friend for their birthday's and it was a perfect evening. You can see why after a short space of time it has established itself on the culinary map, is fast building a very high reputation and is winning awards. What was also nice was the fact it as an open kitchen and the chefs were more than happy to talk to us. I would highly recommend the Cross to anyone who enjoys good quality food. The décor will also be of interest to those with a fascination for the culinary arts.Special Features:
- Relaxing Sunday LunchWijit1066Dined on 19/10/2014Sunday 19th October; fantastic Sunday lunch. Hugely enjoyed by the whole family from 8 to 68. Service generally good, although dipped a little towards the changeover between lunch and dinner. Three course meal was excellent. Risotto starter one of the best. Bar area was lovely, with a good selection of wines and lager, would be nice to have a local beer too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty but SuperQofQDined on 19/10/2014Took two friends for the Sunday 3 course lunch option and sat in the delightful oak-panelled dining room. Good size portion of vegetarian risotto with seasonal pumpkin; glad to have a choice of vegetarian food for the main course too - unusual in most places on Sundays - but my companions found the wine sauce with their chicken and roast potatoes far too salty. The chocolate tart was the highlight of pudding - enjoyed the gingerbread ice cream and mini doughnuts myself. Very reasonable prices on the wine list. Would recommend, with a friend or two. Delightful service despite a very busy room.Special Features:
- Very niceRdldcdDined on 18/10/2014Nice food at a fair price....friend said hake was best fish meal she had ever had! Service slow at times but overall a good experience.Special Features:
- Great at the CrossDJCPDined on 18/10/2014Enjoyed the whole experience - not to pretentious and the food was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Having been to six Michelin starDavidh1234Dined on 17/10/2014We were expecting a dining experience similar to the six Michelin star restaurants we hav visited over the years ...unfortunately this was not the case. The restaurant lacked real ambiance, we were seated by the front of house manager (polite but not very friendly ) up a corner next to the kitchen which was a little noisy. The waiters were efficient and prompt but not knowledgeable about the food. Food was good, presentation was bad. Overall it was expensive and lacked a quality feel .I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday night outingNovezanDined on 16/10/2014First class food served with flair, excellent service and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 16/10/2014Simply fabulous. Worth every penny. Every course superb, especially the deserts. Potato "fish scales" on the sea bream looked amazing, so the presentation was as good as the taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet dinner for 2ColetteDined on 14/10/2014Excellent food in a bustling pub like atmosphere, in general the service was good. Recommended. Initially we were shown to a small table next to the kitchen, we wanted to talk over dinner but the noise levels made this difficult. We were quickly and politely moved to a quieter table also benefiting from more comfortable chairs. Service was prompt and efficient; my only criticism would be the red wine served a little warm for my liking and the overfilling of our wine glasses.Special Features:
- Sunday LunchAnnethDined on 12/10/2014The starter and pudding were excellent but between us we had the roast lamb and the roast beef. Because my friend has parkinsons disease I had to cut her meat up for her and the lamb was quite tough to cut, also the pink beef was also very tough to cut until we were given a serrated knife. The flavour of the meats was good but both could have done with an extra 10 minutes cooking or sliced much more thinly. We described the meats as chewable but not melting.Special Features:
- The Cross is out of this worldBangerDined on 11/10/2014Food excellent, service excellent, atmosphere excellent. The best meal I have ever had. Fantastic job guys.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- specialCarolneDined on 11/10/2014We had a lovely meal but some portions were a bit small. The ambience was very friendly and relaxed. Although I appreciate a look into the kitchen I would have preferred to sit further away from the kitchen opening because the traffic around there was a bit hectic.Special Features:
- Really Great FoodLuvgudfoodDined on 10/10/2014This was a birthday treat from my husband and a very nice one at that! The food was beautifully presented and tasted every bit as good as it looked. The portion sizes were just right so we were able to eat the delicious sourdough bread as well as our chosen three courses and enjoyed every last little bi! Service was excellent too! We personally would not be able to afford to eat here all the time but we are so happy to have found somewhere that we can go to for special occasions knowing that it is a treat worth paying for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very special restaurantGalerie167Dined on 9/10/2014It is easy to see why The Cross has recently been awarded a Michelin Star. The ambience, the service and especially the food were all absolutely faultless. I can't recommend this restaurant highly enough.Special Features:
- not what we expected - disappointedcauliflowerDined on 9/10/2014As the cross had just won an award, we decided to try it for dinner. We ordered a main course a dessert. The main course was slow cooked belly pork, mash and cabbage, when we received it, both mash and cabbage was luke warm. We had to send it back because it wasnt hot enough to eat. The staff were very apologetic and replaced it, but we received it again, mash luke warm! We didnt feel we could send it back again. We then had a dessert which was chocolate tart and brioche pudding. it was fine, but not great. The staff did not charge for a glass of wine which was nice. overall very disappointing for what we paid.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014A great dining experience, very relaxed and the food was of very good quality with generous portions and reasonable prices.Special Features:
- The Cross on a Wednesday nightTVRGIRLDined on 8/10/2014Starters great, worth the Star, main courses and puddings not outstanding although tasty. Food needs to be hotter for me.Special Features:
- WOWOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014I booked a table for my husbands birthday after hearing from a work colleague that it was a lovely place to go if you want to spoil yourself. My husband is a chef and has had many years experience working in some high class restaurants in London, including The Ivy and Groucho Club. We have been looking for a good place to eat for a long time and always seem to come away slightly disappointed. We both thought the service, food and presentation of the dishes at The Cross were fantastic. I wanted to take photos of my food, Sea Bream with scales to show friends but chose not to. I am already looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Fantastic modern British cuisine!hispanoperuanoDined on 7/10/2014We've been coming to this restaurant regularly with international speakers visiting our University and they've all been impressed by the quality of the food at The Cross.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experienceLadyMDined on 5/10/2014We went for Sunday lunch in a big room with sunlight streaming in. Our starters were excellent; celeriac soup was particularly delicious; interestingly presented with a garnish of chestnuts. Our main courses (roast beef, Hake, beetroot and goats cheese) were less exciting but well cooked and tasty. The dessert was an anomaly; the bay Pannacotta itself was lovely but accompanied by too many other things (doughnuts!) that really didn't need to be there. The service was friendly but slightly amateurish. The wine list gave no information and the waitress could not tell us anything about the wine either. I am very happy to have a Michelin starred restaurant near where I live but there are some little things that need ironing out here.Special Features:
- A taste sensationLifeCoach23Dined on 4/10/2014First Class Food, combined with First Class Service... A taste sensation, in more ways than one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a StarQofQDined on 4/10/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the crispy yet soft-centred duck egg with white beans; excellent sour dough; enormous and tasty fennel risotto; delicious petit fours. New Michelin star well-earned. Service a bit hectic possibly due to popularity and a couple of larger tables taken nearby, so waited 45 minutes for food - worth the wait Coming back next week with mother in law hoping to impress her with a Sunday lunch. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Lovely lunchVege4mepleaseDined on 1/10/2014We had an absolutely super lunch here and the vegetarian menu was brilliant.Special Features:
- supurb!finedineDined on 27/9/2014Amazing food, lovely atmosphere & great service...well deserved its Mitchelin star*!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 20/9/2014Ok so this is not the cheapest night out that you will have, far from it, but what you will get is an excellent experience, the food was outstanding, cooked and presented to perfection. I have been to a lot of Restaurants, but this by far tops the lot. The staff are friendly and accommodating, I took some friends out for a celebration so it needed to be perfect and it was. Would I recommend this restaurant and would I go back, definitely, but I will have to save up first, this is a prime example of "You get what you pay for".Special Features: