18-20 Suffolk Parade
Cheltenham, GL50 2AENeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thedaffodil.com/
- Phone: 01242 700 055x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday: Lunch 12:00pm - 2:30pm Afternoon Tea 3.00pm - 5.00pm & Dinner 6:00pm - 10:00pm
Saturday: Lunch 12:00pm - 2:30pm Afternoon Tea 3.00pm - 5.00pm & Dinner 6:00pm to 10:30pm
Closed on Sundays
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, British, Afternoon Tea
- Executive Chef: Tom Rains
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Daffodil is available to hire for sole occupancy from 100 to 140 guests.
Our first floor mezzanine bar area overlooking the main restaurant is also available for smaller private parties of between 30 - 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jules Sayer 01242 700 055x
- Entertainment: Free live Jazz every Monday night together with Martini Monday promotion in our mezzanine bar. Exclusive 'Ladies Lunch' on the first Tuesday of every month and the Cheese Club business networking lunch held on the last Tuesday of each month.
A word from The Daffodil
As Cheltenham’s most dramatic restaurant, The Daffodil with its Art Deco influence offers an extensive Brasserie style A La Carte menu which is seasonally changed, with an excellent choice of wines. Independently owned The Daffodil with it’s award winning conversion from a 1920’s cinema into a restaurant never ceases to wow all who visit. So whether you are planning a romantic night, a corporate event, a party or a memorable wedding, The Daffodil offers an experience not to be missed!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Daffodil - Best restaurants in Cheltenham ›
The Daffodil reviews from OpenTable diners
365 reviews since 24 May 2014
special occasions (289)romance (194)fit for foodies (155)group bookings (109)business meals (94)pre/post theatre (68)afternoon tea (62)brunch (34)good vegetarian options (31)sunday lunch (31)outstanding value (29)disabled access (17)child friendly (11)outdoor eating (2)Show More
- Anniversary CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014We went for lunch at The Daffodil as part of our wedding anniversary celebrations. The food, ambiance and service was outstanding. The jazz band dedicated a song to us and we were made to feel really special. If in Cheltenham again would definitely book to go again. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 13/9/2014I love the atmosphere at The Daffodil but I think because we arrived early on Saturday lunchtime and we were the only people there for a little while, it lost something of its ambience. The service was excellent but I think, a little too speedy. We ordered at 12.30 and were ready to leave after two courses by 12.50 - so felt it was all just too quick to enjoy. The jazz did add to the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not badOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2014We were sat in a dark corner, which although romantic made it quite hard to see what we were eating and read the menu! The food was good but a little overpriced for the quality. The puddings taster was really nice and enough for three.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014If you want a quiet dinner with good conversation this is not the place for you. If you like music and entertainment whilst you eat then go for it. Only disappointment was a lack vegetables on the menu.Special Features:
- Excellent lunchraredineroutDined on 8/9/2014This is a very interesting interior where the welcome and service is just right; expert but not fussy. The food is very good with a good range of dishes. The "Specials menu" offers excellent value. The only minor criticism is that for me the music (perfectly acceptable jazz) was a bit too loud given that the restaurant was very sparsely populated. This restaurant will certainly go on our list of venues for outings with guests or special occasions.Special Features:
- Lovely foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014Lovely food, wine was overpriced for the measure receivedSpecial Features:
- Very DifferentGoodeaterDined on 6/9/2014We were in Cheltenham from West London for the weekend and this was a very nice and different dining experience A bit taken aback by the vast former cinema but there was a good atmosphere pretty quickly. The food was fantastic with all in our party of 4 agreeing the steaks and sea bass done very well We popped upstairs to the circle bar and had a nice relaxed few cocktails but only one tiny grumble here in that the blender was broken and our waitress missed out on us buying another round (and a tip) due to not being around us often if at all. We'll be in Cheltenham a few times next 7 months and would definitely use this place again.Special Features:
- Jazz lunch!jazzgourmetsDined on 6/9/2014We were welcomed the moment we arrived and chaperoned to our lovely table with perfect view of the jazz trio. The maitre d' couldn't have been more attentive; the service was superb, and the food was prepared with precision, tasted wonderful and was art on a slate plate! I went for the monkfish 'scampi', which was sumptuous, but the minted peas stole the show. My husband had the set lunch menu, and his Asian twisted salmon was to die for! We've lived in Cheltenham for ten years, and this was our first visit to The Daffodil! It won't be our last!Special Features:
- Perfect anniversaryloveMIDined on 4/9/2014We enjoyed our 10 year wedding anniversary dinner here and loved it. They were so kind in going above and beyond to make the evening a special event for us. The food was very good and such a cool atmosphere. We really enjoyed it and would recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Midweek LunchCheltenhamDiner1Dined on 2/9/2014Good range of menu choices and good warm attentive service. Dessert was excellentSpecial Features:
- NatlanderDined on 1/9/2014Lovely location. Loved the soufflé. Jazz night was good. Enjoyed the pre-dinner cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good birthday treat.MevaDined on 1/9/2014The whole process, from booking to payment handled well, in a friendly and efficient manner. Good range of cocktails, nice menus, loved the cine theme running through everything, nice jazz night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerjulieDined on 1/9/2014as always a very beautifull meal with outstanding serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Bearnaise ever!siodenDined on 30/8/2014We were greeted very warmly when we arrived and taken to the circle bar for cocktails before our meal. Cocktails were expertly made and the lunchtime jazz complemented brilliantly! We had various starters and mains and a few desserts, as well as a very good bottle of red wine. The highlight for me was the chateaubriand, with the best Béarnaise sauce I've ever had! One of the party had the strawberries for dessert - which she proclaimed was the best dessert she'd ever had as well. Many people were starting to have afternoon teas by the time we left, which looked wonderful. A return trip is definitely on the cards!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent eveningphiltina2014Dined on 29/8/2014We ate here last Friday and was amazed at the food and service, our first time here and it wont be our last, I had the belly pork and it was as good or even better than some of the Michelin star restaurant's we ate in. The service was also brilliant , again just as good if not better than other restaurant's we been too. We took the opportunity to have a bottle of champagne at half price which was a surprise as we didn't know of the offer. we also went upstairs at the end of our meal and drank some more champagne , great setting to sit and watch the chef at workSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star, red carpet treatmentFineDiner5Dined on 26/8/2014My husband and I enjoyed our evening at The Daffodil immensely! The Maitre'D was very engaging, the table service was faultless: perfectly timed, attentive but not too overbearing. The decor is lovely and we enjoyed hearing about the history of the building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambience on Jazz NightJulianHDined on 25/8/2014Great food, great service, but above all great atmosphere. the whole package made it a wonderful venue for my wife and I to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. If we lived nearby we'd be there on a regular basis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration meal with friendsBMB60Dined on 23/8/2014We had an excellent time and everyone enjoyed their meal. Will definitely be returning and will recommend to all our friends. The free sparkler in a scoop of ice cream was a lovely touch.Special Features:
- Excellent night outChrisDined on 22/8/2014Had the discovery menu which is fantastic value and you get a ton of food (almost too much). Excellent ambience and a lovely night out for a special occasion.Special Features:
- anniversarydboyDined on 21/8/2014Lovely meal great offer 3 courses £15.50 good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Surprise @ the DaffodilLive2eatDined on 18/8/2014Did not disappoint!! Wonderful atmosphere, excellent and friendly service, amazing cocktails and delicious food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining at its best..londonersDined on 18/8/2014The Daffodil Restaurant is a fine dining experience and well worth a visit. The food is fantastic. The atmosphere is buzzy. The staff are attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful but not disabled friendly12345678Dined on 16/8/2014I booked a high tea for a party of 5.The booking process online was easy but when I rang to add someone I discovered they don't take high tea bookings online after all!So it was very lucky I rang otherwise I would not have had a table even with my booking reference! On the day I arrived and my party were already in the bar area. Even though I am very clearly disabled, with disabled walking aids, they offered me no help up to the bar. It was two flights of stairs and the staff watched me struggle alone.They didn't even offer to inform my party I was there to save me walking up and down the stairs!The food was delicious.The pana cotta was amazing! They failed to offer a choice of tea which was dissapointing.They also failed to bring our billSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reunion Dinnerkluvs2dineDined on 15/8/2014The Daffodil ticked all the boxes for our reunion meal: Interesting nostalgic venue in the trendy Suffolks area, lively modern vibe, good menu, well- presented food and efficient service by friendly young staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goldenoldiesDined on 12/8/2014Had an evening birthday dinner for our adult daughter. We were met by a smiling very welcoming manager who showed us to our table where our waitress met us with warm wishes for a happy birthday to our daughter. There was a good selection of all four courses , portion sizes were very good and my steak in particular, cooked to perfection. Importantly the bill was within our expectation level. Overall we were very pleased with the meal and the pleasant food and wine waiters. Our daughter's dessert was presented with a charming firework candle and a sung "happy birthday" from the waitress which we all enjoyed and felt the meal was very special for the occasion. We enjoyed the experience and will certainly come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North east visitornortheastvisitorDined on 9/8/2014We viisted early evening to make use of the set menu, and had starters and mains. The starters were fine, and then two of us had the spicy pork sausages. This dish turned out to be one sausage presented in two halves. Sausages on the menu does I think imply more than one, so this seemed to us somewhat parsimonious. The spicy sausage was tasty but was not spicy to the palate of the two of us who ordered it. The red wine we ordered with the meal was, in contrast, superb. We did mention our concern to one young waiter who enquired whether we were enjoying our meal, and had nothing to say in response. We mentioned it again to the person who took our payment who said she would pass our comments on.Special Features:
- Definitely worth a visitEmma2CheltenhamDined on 8/8/2014Excellent venue to celebrate a special occasion; the food and service is second to none and the ambience sets the mood for a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Lovely decor and atmosphereBeatriceDined on 4/8/2014A great place to go for a special occasion with lovely food, music and staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place despite chewy steak.justbobandgwenDined on 1/8/20142nd visit, and atmosphere and service remain absolutely superb. Cocktails were again excellent, even if the bar was slightly overcrowded. Service to table, and starters were also of the same high standard as last visit. Fillet steak, and Sirloin on the bone were excellent, whilst the 2 rib eye steaks were not of a similar standard. Whilst aware that rib eye is never going to be as good as the other cuts, both people who had rib eye were disappointed. At that price level, even the rib eyes should be good. Maybe picky, but it did dampen the otherwise outstanding experience. Still thoroughly recommend this restaurant as an outstanding venue, and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!!teetotalerNOTDined on 28/7/2014Great food, fantastic building, great service, also live jazz some nights! Excellent steaks. Highly recommended!
- Brilliant food, style, wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 28/7/2014The Daffodil is outstanding, dress up for the evening, great Jazz on a Monday nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RegularDined on 28/7/2014Very pleasant as usual. Salad starter excellent, fish dish good but could have been better if not let down by the poor chips. Poached half a Peach ok - menu said Peaches so was expecting at least one whole one!. Jazz music started badly with poorly adjusted sound levels! I actually preferred the low level background music prior to the 'live' during which conversation at the rear of the restaurant became very difficult. However, overall an enjoyable evening - just a few tweaks needed to go up another notch.Special Features:
- BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONytdiningDined on 26/7/2014All aspects of our evening were outstanding. My Wife and one of our guests have physical restrictions and the table booked ws in a booth upstairs. The Receptionist reacted brilliantly by quickly reassigning us to a table on the ground floor, brilliant attitude. The service was professional and nicely paced such that we were ready for the next course just as it arrived. An evening to celebrate my Wife's xx birthday was made memerable by the Daffodil !!Special Features:
- Wonderful meal & eveningeuroshrimperDined on 25/7/2014Wonderful setting, service and food and we were looked after from booking online, through to leaving the restaurant. All staff very professional and friendly and we would recommend to anyone if you value service and very good food. The food and cocktails are expensive but like most things in life you get what you pay for............the best steak i have ever had !Special Features:
- The Daffodil1598151984Dined on 25/7/2014Exquisite food,excellent descrete service but a very long wait until we got our food. Waited almost an hour between starter and main but received no appology. Opposite table got served similar time and had it complementary. I never ask for anything but would have appreciated the usually attentive staff to confirmed this was ok with us.also very hot inside,beautiful interior made up for it though! Highly reccommed and hope to be back soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Daffodil -not just for the Welsh!bas63Dined on 24/7/2014We dined at the Daffodil for our anniversary and it was great! The staff were attentive without being intrusive and both the food and wine were excellent, although we thought the wine a tad pricey. Overall a great evening and we would go again on our return to Cheltenham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous CocktailBirthdayTreatDined on 23/7/2014Possibly our expectations were too high as felt our experience lacked something but cannot identify anything in particular. Almost as if The Daffodil's local notoriety of being amazing has created issues for them. While eating we got onto the topic of how people no longer dress up for evenings out like the theatre or special meals and how disappointing this is. Suppose expectations of the atmosphere / styling being more in keeping with the period for the night were not met. Very glad we went for dinner as food was very nice and had a gorgeous French Martini. However not sure will go again for anything apart from afternoon tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovelyKiwi85Dined on 12/7/2014The atmosphere was lovely, didn't feel pretentious but felt special enough for an occasion or a romantic night out/group get together. Beautiful surroundings and great friendly attentive service. the food although quite expensive was delicious. We shared the 1kg rib of beef and it was so tasty and filling! Also the pina coladas were rather nice too! Would definitely recommend going here!Special Features:
- Disappointingly underwhelming foodJujuDined on 11/7/2014We went for a romantic meal for two on a Friday night. Love the decor, ambience and atmosphere & cannot fault that at all. However, the food was complete underwhelming . Our starter scallops came as 3 tiny dried over cooked discs on a huge chunk of over salty pork/ bacon. The pea purée was lost too. We would have sent them back but had waited for 30 mins for them. We did tell the waitress & she apologised. Our mains were similar-Okay but lacking in flavour. We had the sharing taster desserts which once again looked amazing but none of them had any real flavour. The chocolate fondant was a dried up cake in a cup! It seemed to be all about looking good but with no attention to flavour and cooking the food well. Very disappointing food!Special Features:
- good quality foodYummyDined on 7/7/2014Lunch here with a friend on Monday. The restaurant was fairly quiet, but the surounidngs are nice and service and food good. Fixed price menu - Beef corquette then beetroot risotto. Would like to go again in the evening when busier. Very niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.