18-20 Suffolk Parade
Cheltenham, GL50 2AENeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thedaffodil.com/
- Phone: 01242 700055
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday: Lunch 12:00pm - 2:30pm Afternoon Tea 3.00pm - 5.00pm & Dinner 6:00pm - 10:00pm
Saturday: Lunch 12:00pm - 2:30pm Afternoon Tea 3.00pm - 5.00pm & Dinner 6:00pm to 10:30pm
Closed on Sundays
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, British, Afternoon Tea
- Executive Chef: Tom Rains
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Daffodil is available to hire for sole occupancy from 100 to 140 guests.
Our first floor mezzanine bar area overlooking the main restaurant is also available for smaller private parties of between 30 - 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jules Sayer 01242 700 055x
- Entertainment: Free live Jazz every Monday night together with Martini Monday promotion in our mezzanine bar. Exclusive 'Ladies Lunch' on the first Tuesday of every month and the Cheese Club business networking lunch held on the last Tuesday of each month.
A word from The Daffodil
As Cheltenham’s most dramatic restaurant, The Daffodil with its Art Deco influence offers an extensive Brasserie style A La Carte menu which is seasonally changed, with an excellent choice of wines. Independently owned The Daffodil with it’s award winning conversion from a 1920’s cinema into a restaurant never ceases to wow all who visit. So whether you are planning a romantic night, a corporate event, a party or a memorable wedding, The Daffodil offers an experience not to be missed!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Daffodil - Best restaurants in Cheltenham ›
The Daffodil reviews from OpenTable diners
368 reviews since 22 November 2013
special occasions (293)romance (198)fit for foodies (147)group bookings (110)business meals (96)pre/post theatre (66)afternoon tea (61)brunch (34)sunday lunch (34)outstanding value (33)good vegetarian options (29)disabled access (18)child friendly (9)outdoor eating (2)Show More
- Pre-concert dinner for 5SessantenneDined on 17/11/2014Dined here with friends with a 6pm booking as we needed to be at the Town Hall for a 7.30pm event. Our table was ready bang on 6 and the staff did not need to be reminded that we needed to be away shortly after 7pm. Three of us ate from the A La Carte Menu and two ate from The Dailies. The food was delicious, beautifully presented and although we were all eating different dishesit all arrived in perfect synchrony. Our waitress was highly professional and had no need to check who had ordered what and drinks arrived quickly. We were ready to leave just after 7pm and were sorry to do so, as the Jazz musicians were tuning up and we could have had a wonderful evening there. We will definitely go back to this elegant Art Deco restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BugelDined on 15/11/2014The ambience is great as the restaurant is a converted cinema, the food and service was excellent. We didn't have long to wait between courses but at no time were we rushed. A lovely evening all round.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ccjcVIPDined on 15/11/2014Great as ever. Wonderful atmosphere and very good food. A nice wine list if slightly oddly structured!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night at the daffodilFoodfanDined on 14/11/2014Spent Friday night at he daffodil,good food and service and great deals on champagne,good night all round and best crime brûlée you will eatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family dinner for 6GinandtonicDined on 12/11/2014My family were visiting from Malaysia so they were looking for somewhere different to eat. Everyone loved the deco of this refurbished cinema. The restaurant was not busy so service was excellent & attentive. My parents who are not big eaters finished everything on their 2 course plates. I'd recommend the venison- it was melt in the mouth and the parsnips were sweet and juicy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Jazzy time!MarionDined on 10/11/2014I strongly recommend to have dinner on a Monday night; good food, enjoyed with a nice Jazz band, it was really relaxing and enjoyable! Good one here!Special Features:
- Much to celebrate!SalllyDined on 10/11/2014Excellent family meal for my son's 18th. Superb food, service and attention to detail. A place that caters for all ages and attire!. From jeans to tiara's! Either way the staff are respectful and attentive. Unlike some 'fancy' restraunts where you can be made to feel uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Daffodil....CheltenhamTheSparklingWineManDined on 5/11/2014There is always a danger when you have heard a great deal about how fantastic a book, a film, a show or a restaurant is. You are then often let down. I had very high expectations of The Daffodil and guess what they were all exceeded....job done. A fantastic evening in a fantastic building. I made another reservation before I leftSpecial Features:
- Lovely treathappyandluckyDined on 1/11/2014We have been here a few times over the years and always had a lovely experience. Quality of ingredients, cooking and service are all very high and there is a nice degree of creativity in the menu. The atmosphere offers a combination of smart but relaxed, allowing different customer groups (couples, families, parties) to combine well. It is not a cheap night out, but nor should it be (and we often choose the more expensive options!). We look forward to returning one day soon. I can't say I'd change anything as I'm no expert in running a restaurant(!) - but personally I would review whether the televisions in the bar area are necessary and/or add to the evening atmosphere; I'd also consider slightly smaller portions for the discovery menu.Special Features:
- good all rounderbleeepDined on 1/11/2014Well received when we went in, staff freindly and attentive. Food fresh tasting well presented and cooked. Heartily recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb service. Great building.stuartegglestonDined on 31/10/2014What a superb building. It is just a brilliant place to be to sit and each such great food. We had a table on the upper level so overlooked the downstairs and the kitchen. The layout added some drama which was great and the (subtle) Art Deco surroundings were great. Food was lovely and the portion sizes spot on - not too big and not too small. Service was also superb - the waiter really knew his stuff and was attentive and friendly without being intrusive. My only complaint would be the quality of the coffee - they probably need to think about the coffee supply and a bit more barista training. Overall I would heartily recommend it!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 31/10/2014Food was excellent, was a bit noisy upstairs, service was very quick and prices were good for the quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great venueDodgerileydaveDined on 30/10/2014A lovely setting and really excellent service. This is not cheap but you get what you pay for in spades. The food was very good - we had the tasting menu - great variety though make sure you go hungry as we couldn't get through the large and varied desert course. The building is really well preserved and retains much of the Art Deco feel. Although there was no live music when we were there, there was a great atmosphere. Compliments to all at the daffodil. Although I coudnt afford to eat there often, they made the most of a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serious potentialHelpfulcriticDined on 30/10/2014An excellent pheasant pate starter and salmon-lentils main from the Dailies menu but rather too empty of diners to be convivial.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serious potentialHelpfulcriticDined on 29/10/2014An excellent venue, superbly designed, well staffed, some good food. So what went wrong? When staff outnumber the clients (lunchtime) it is hard to understand why the service is poor. In the end, I had to accost a waiter by crossing the room to ask for an aperitif. He was not able to deal with that, so I had to wait for a waitress who was: the restaurant was almost empty. Hand cut chips? what an untidy, unappealing stale mess which did spoil the fresh fish counterpoint.Special Features:
- Birthday celebration!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 25/10/2014The perfect way to spend my birthday, well presented tasty food, friendly staff and great atmosphere. They were also more that happy to present a surprise cake with sparklers at our table! Just watch the red wine though, the Merlot was far from smooth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 25/10/2014Met friends for a Saturday "daily" - really good value and lovely food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014Had a wonderful evening with excellent food and service to match.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meal for two.PeaceUPATOWNDined on 10/10/2014Helpful staff at reception as I was running late due to an accident causing traffic. Told me my table would still be available even If I was half hour late. Taken straight to our table and offered drinks immediately. Fantastic starters, superb mains and a brilliant dessert to top off a wonderful evening at a restaurant I have already recommended to my friends.Special Features:
- cheltlit2014Dined on 9/10/2014I always love going to the Daffodil when I am in Cheltenham. It is a beautifully restored period building with a lovely vibe. Service and food is always good with very friendly staff. Great for special occasions. If you like eating somewhere ' different ' I would recommend here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not How it was Last TimeAlbertDined on 8/10/2014Lunch started off a bit disappointing. There were only three other guests there and us. We were sat in a booth which was nice except that the music was too loud for us to enjoy our conversation. My guest asked the waitress if the music could be turned down. Nothing happened. Initially the waitress was attentive but half way through our meal, she seemed to forget about us. My fisherman's stew was a bit of fish , two clams, and some liquid. Not very impressive and not very tasty. I will not be going back.Special Features:
- Noisy, dark and expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/10/2014Second and last visit to the Daffodil for us, we visited specifically for the Jazz on a Monday as my husband is a Jazz fan. The jazz was a cacophony of very loud noise and so much effort is invested in presentation of the food which is wasted as so dark. Very expensive
- Relaxing Art Deco restaurantSunny2coupleDined on 4/10/2014The Daffodil just gets better and better. Relaxing elegant dining surroundings and great food. Often have a jazz trio or quartet playing during Saturday lunchtimes. Great for a light lunch or celebratory meal. We love to treat ourselves to the Discover Menu from time to time.Special Features:
- Daffodil dayEssexOnTourDined on 4/10/2014In the run up to our meal at the Daffodil we had an e-mail and phone confirmation of our booking which gave an impression of organisation and efficiency which was borne out when we arrived early for our table and were taken to our table straight away. The service and welcome were very good indeed and the restaurant setting is just lovely- an old cinema brilliantly converted. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly but still felt special and we had a table in the 'circle' which meant we could see the jazz band and the kitchen. The food was ok- we both agreed that it was good but not outstanding- you are paying a bit for the ambience i think. The desserts were excellent so make room for those. Overall we were very happy but not blown away..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor vegetarian optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/10/2014The meat and fish eater in our group thoroughly enjoyed the meal. The two vegetarians had a poor experience. The mushroom dish was dry and flavourless. The special vegetarian option of bean curry was tasteless and poorly presented. The times reported last week that one in eight people are now vegetarian some of time. The daffodil could do better to meet this growing market. The restaurant itself is a superb venue, a converted cinema, great ambiance and friendly staff.Special Features:
- The Daffodil.PieCookDined on 3/10/2014The food was as you would expect but the service was poor. It took 20 minutes to get a cocktail and it arrived shortly after our meal.
- Monday nightWineinganddiningDined on 29/9/2014My first time at The Daffodil for jazz night and I will definitely be going back. Super busy for a Monday night but perfect service and efficiency from FOH and kitchen. I recommend this restaurant to everyone I know, it's just gorgeous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's not to like!?LostcloudDined on 29/9/2014Second visit here, this time with an overseas visitor and everything was perfect from the martinis (vespers v v excellent) to the cheese and puddings, not to exclude the jazz. Have been to the local Michelin starred restaurants and honestly, the Daffodil outstrips them for both food and ambience. The service is impeccable, quick and unobtrusive, yet v friendly. Worth every penny.Special Features:
- ccjcVIPDined on 29/9/2014We ate on a Monday Jazz night. Great music, atmosphere and a special offer on martinis was on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- specialtimesDined on 29/9/2014We were really surprised how many people were dining on a Monday night. There was a wonderful ambience and the jazz band made our birthday really special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Good NightMarcolaDined on 27/9/2014Had a lovely meal here on a busy Saturday night. Couldn't fault the food. Good service by friendly and attentive staff. Any critism would be the position of our table was in a very dark area which made it difficult to read the menus. Also the drinks are rather over priced ( even for Cheltenham ) Having said that it is still somewhere I would always choose for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Just ExcellentMarcusinstroudDined on 27/9/2014The Daffodil is unpretentious, but ambitious, it's art deco, but modern, it's fast paced, but relaxed, it's wonderful Lunch was spectacular, with some lovely choices (Pork Belly was to die for) The pudding selection is the fast track to coronary care. Tom Rains leads a great team in the kitchen, Ben out front is warm, gregarious, fun and lively. Nothing is too much trouble and you will leave very satisfied. Oh a good tip, buy wine by the carafe, great way of having different wines with different courses or if one of you is driving and you don't fancy a bottle,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellenceBootsDined on 26/9/2014My partner has treated me to dinner at the Dafodil on several occasions. We have taken the parents for sunday lunch, saturday night dinner and we have dined alone for celebrations. We also attended a wedding there. The staff are friendly, the food very tasty. It is a large dining room but there is always a lot going on. You can see straight into the food preparation area, the dining room has high ceilings and booths and tables. The bar is great, the cocktails even better. Its a chance to dress up and feel very special. We would absolutely recommend it.Special Features:
- Dallies2spoilpeopleDined on 25/9/2014Since I heard of this treat, I'm spoil everyone to your dinning experience, especially with your fabulous food and very attentive staff. My father has taken note and will be using you to have relaxed business meeting, as he said the food is more then filling and extremely tasty. The added touch, of the table firework was lovely, so a huge thank you for a lovely anniversary meal. Which was very much enjoyed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 22/9/2014The Food and Service were both first class, we went on a Monday night partly due to it being my wife's birthday and also because there was live Jazz at the Daffodil, unfortunately we were sat at a table where we could not see the musicians and the interaction from other diners was very poor and the music just became a bit of a back ground noise.Special Features:
- Dailies menu is a wonderful dealDustyDDined on 22/9/2014Four of us had a delicious dinner on Monday night at the Daffodil. We booked our table for 7.00 pm in order to order from the dailies menu which offers 3 courses for on £16! There were three nice choices for each course and the food when it came was absolutely delicious. In addition, there was a great quartet playing live music. The service was very good and the decor of the Daffodil is a lovely Art Deco converted cinema.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulannonymousDined on 19/9/2014been here once before on christmas eve, whilst the prices are up there, each bite is totally worth it. Spent a few hours post-meal in the circle bar which was fantastic, great night and a brilliant place :)Special Features:
- Rather noisyHardofhearingDined on 19/9/2014Great place as long as you don't want a quiet chat. The huge room seems full of noise. I requested a quiet table and was given probably the quietest, under some stairs. It was still very noisy.Special Features:
- Consistently excellentMarkDined on 19/9/2014Another great lunch at the Daffodil. Wife enjoyed meal from main menu and I enjoyed the lunch fixed price three courses. A fantastic building, great food, great service. Love it.Special Features:
- Excellent again!A1DinerVIPDined on 18/9/2014We've been to The Daffodil before and it was excellent again! It's simply high in standard consistently!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.