London, WC2B 4BBNeighbourhood:
EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thedelaunay.com/
- Phone: 020 7499 8558
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday: 7am – 11am; Saturday: 8am – 11am
Monday – Saturday: 11.30am – 5pm; Sunday: 11am – 5pm
Monday – Friday: 3pm –6pm; Saturday - Sunday: 3.30pm – 6pm
Monday – Saturday: 5pm – 11.30pm; Sunday: 5pm – 10.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Afternoon Tea
- Executive Chef: Lee Ward
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Chillingworth 02076599302
A word from The Delaunay
Located behind an imposing entrance on the corner of historic Drury Lane and The Aldwych, The Delaunay is an all-day café-restaurant inspired by the grand cafés of Europe. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, morning coffee and afternoon tea are also served seven days a week, alongside a Take-Out section with a local delivery service.Continued
Booking is recommended but a portion of the tables are available for walk-in customers.
Booking is recommended but a portion of the tables are available for walk-in customers.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBrunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerEuropean
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Delaunay - Best restaurants in Covent Garden ›
The Delaunay reviews from OpenTable diners
729 reviews since 24 November 2013
pre/post theatre (362)brunch (360)business meals (303)special occasions (290)afternoon tea (236)fit for foodies (184)sunday lunch (159)romance (157)group bookings (75)good vegetarian options (51)disabled access (49)child friendly (42)outstanding value (28)outdoor eating (3)Show More
- Excellent service, rich central European farefood4theatreVIPDined on 21/11/2014Eating at the Delaunay is a very pleasurable experience. The traditional foods such as Wiener Schnitzel come in large portions carefully prepared. The service is excellent and customers' special requests are dealt with very well. The fried mackerel with lemon was very tasty, so was the Chicken Salad. The deserts were adapted to our wish. Service was friendly, knowledgeable and highly professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonDined on 21/11/2014As always the food and ambience were good, but the service though friendly, was not ideal: we were given desserts but no cutlery and it took over 10 mins before we could attract someone's attention. We also had to wait over 15 mins for a pot of tea, which we had ordered with pudding and which we had to ask for twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambienceloveagoodmealDined on 18/11/2014Lovely big room, well spaced and good sized tables ,brasserie-style serving Austrian food. The service was excellent and very professional, 'proper' waiters Continental style. This is something different to the main stream offering and we'd be recommended by friends and long been wanting to visit. So we went for a pre-theatre meal on 18.11.14 and we were not disappointed. It was bustling, a very nice atmosphere and one immediately got the impression this place knows what it was all about. They don't have a dedicated pre-theatre, you just pick from the a la carte. The portions are huge; we were warned and didn't have a starter. The schnitzel was lovely and we shared a big coup of ice cream, fruit and whipped cream between us. We'd go again - and I don't often say that about a restaurant. Most run of the mill restaurants in London are disappointing, either on food, ambience or service - or all three in some cases . It was interesting that on our walk to the theatre we noticed a Café Rouge which was pretty much empty - deservedly so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere. Charming service. Wine expensiveTigglesDined on 18/11/2014Couldn't get a reservation over the phone but miraculously did when booking through Open Table! In fact, the restaurant was not totally full at lunchtime. Unhurried service. Generous portions but I would suggest somewhat overpriced all round for what is, ostensibly, an unsophisticated menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 17/11/2014Service was excellent. One of our group could only stay for 45 minutes. I was impressed that the team took his order quickly and served him super quick whtich meant that he didn't have to hurry his one course.Special Features:
- A pleasent experienceHels72VIPDined on 16/11/2014I found the venue very nice and Art deco. Food was very tasty and we didnt have to wait long to get it even though the place was packed. The dessert options were great and found it hard to just pick one. Staff were very accomodating and nice. Would recommend for the whole 'Wow' factor.Special Features:
- Wonderful breakfast experienceLondontouristDined on 16/11/2014We went here for breakfast/brunch. There was a wonderful menu to chose from - we had the eggs benedict and pastries and they were both perfection. The atmosphere was lovely and great ambience, service attentive so all round a thoroughly enjoyable visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch was stupendousCtaylorDined on 14/11/2014My friends were over from Canada we went for brunch on a friday morning the service was impeccable and the food the same would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Litchick79Dined on 9/11/2014What a find! The Delaunay Viennese afternoon tea transports you to Mitteleuropa, with delicious and unusual flavours - I loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonVIPDined on 7/11/2014Consistently excellent service, food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion dinner for twoDinnerDatesDined on 7/11/2014Lovely food and beautifully presented. Not particularly impressed by the £2 per head 'dining room cover charge' but otherwise the restaurant has a warm atmosphere and attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- relaxed grown up and friendlywestoneDined on 7/11/2014I've eaten several times at Delaunay and it never fails to please. Simple dishes done very well with excellent staff who always pay attention to the detailsl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulHungryrabbitVIPDined on 6/11/2014I have eaten here a few times, usually for business lunches, and it never fails to make me feel like I am in an important dining room in the heart of London (a few celebs scattered around helps too!). It is a great dining experience with a terrific take on German / Austrian food (in fact an improvement on it!). Wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As everJaEng1Dined on 3/11/2014Enjoyed eating at Delaunay....it never disappointsSpecial Features:
- Beautiful restaurantMrsBaldwinDined on 1/11/2014We chose to eat here for our first wedding anniversary and we wasnt disappointed. The decor is very grand and the staff were very welcoming. Our waiter was extremely helpful and friendly its a shame I didn't take his name to mention here. The food was wonderful and were presented with a white chocolate, Turkish delight and marshmallow anniversary celebration dessert as I mentioned it was our anniversary when booking. There is a mixture of dinners from men in suits to jumpers and jeans. We would definitely recommend The Delauny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dineloverdineloverDined on 30/10/2014extremely busy restaurant with wonderful Austrian and East European flavour. Schnitzels are excellent. Wide choice of East European dishes like bortsh and pirozhki. you may come here for a reasonably priced short lunch, but a good full scale three course dinner with wine may come with a hefty price tag. Service is excellent, whereas it can be quite noisy during busy hours. Good for special occasions.Special Features:
- Birthday suppersmyslovDined on 29/10/2014We had a lovely birthday supper for my wife at Delaunay. We were first shown to a table which my son found too close to various serving stations, and we asked to be moved. The attentive staff found another table in the middle of the restaurant which was perfect. My wife was 30 minutes late due to traffic and the staff were completely patient with us, didn't harass us or make us feel any sense of rush. We ordered two courses, which were excellent. I had a piece of sea bass which was beautifully cooked and an outstanding filet. Altogether a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeksDined on 29/10/2014A great room, excellent atmosphere, distinctive and attractive menu, quality service, a classic Corbin and King establishment.Special Features:
- Brasserie restaurantGsppDined on 26/10/2014Brasserie styled restaurant same group as the Wolseley. Similar style & food. Good service & food.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphereChippoDined on 26/10/2014The atmosphere of the place is vibrant and exciting. The food is good. The service is polite and friendly but slow and clumsy at times.Special Features:
- SnowHareDined on 25/10/2014We wanted a place that had atmosphere and quick service after the theatre. We certainly found it here. We arrived at 10:30 and the pace was still full. We left just after midnight and there were still a few tables eating. Great place for after theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid all day brasserieTimBDined on 25/10/2014Brunch visit on a weekend was solid with decent pasties and eggs Benedict. Table details were very good, including the linen and silverware - all pleasing touches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The DelaunayPaceDined on 22/10/2014We visit London on a fairly regular basis and often use The Delaunay. This is possibly our 4th or 5th visit? We have previously enjoyed the atmosphere, food and in particular the service. However, on this occasion we found the service to be inattentive and bordering on arrogant. Our food was average and tepid! In closing the restaurant was no busier than usual. In contrast, the following morning we had breakfast at The wolseley which was faultless.Special Features:
- Another enjoyable eveningplparis02Dined on 21/10/2014I have already had dinner there several times and I thoroughly recommend it for its lively brasserie-type atmosphere, its excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The DelaunaycarrieDined on 19/10/2014Reliably good food combined with exceptional service and a buzzy atmosphereSpecial Features:
- TeresaDined on 19/10/2014Dining here is always an extremely positive experience!Special Features:
- Delaunay at Aldwychluv2eatVIPDined on 18/10/2014I visited Delaunay restaurant at Aldwych for the first time & was very impressed with everything. The restaurant was beautiful & the food, ambience & sevice was 1st class. i would really recommend Delaunay's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick service - good pre-theatre.GnasherDined on 18/10/2014We visited on a Saturday after a visit to a matinee theatre performance. We were looking forward to eating here as we have heard good things about The Delauney. We were asked if we were going to the theatre to which we replied that we had already been to the theatre. Our first course arrived and was delicious beetroot cured salmon. Immediately our starter plate was cleared, our main courses arrived. I felt very rushed and I was still drinking the white wine I had ordered with the salmon. I then had to ask for glasses for the red. If I go again I will be much clearer about our time frame. The menu prices are such that I wanted a special occasion, instead, I got indigestion.Special Features:
- Service with genuine careTamaraDined on 17/10/2014We were given a table in a busy area and asked to be moved. There was no fuss and we we're put in a quieter area. I had a fabulous birthday. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old schoolSimonDined on 17/10/2014I took clients here (bankers and lawyers) and it was perfect. Even with a noon booking it filled up fast to produce a vibrant atmosphere. Food was great - schnitzel lived up to all expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Elegant and DeliciousDrBillDined on 17/10/2014I am a regular at the Delaunay - I go 3 or 4 times every time I am in London. They have wonderful breakfasts, lunch and dinner - and afternoon tea!! For a very good meal in elegant surroundings, there is nowhere better than the Delaunay. (don't forget the puddings - they are famous for them!)Special Features:
- We always return to the DelaunatSanFranciscoVoyagerDined on 16/10/2014This restaurant is always so good. The atmosphere is so welcoming and well done. And the location just about directly across and up the street from the Savoy, just walk across the Strand onto Aldwych (where that little pocket of theatres is located). Busch House, across the street from the restaurant is no longer the home of the BBC (too bad, so much history there), and the building is now empty, soon to be converted to offices). If you went to this restaurant you would probably like it, not overly expensive (by London standards)(but not cheap), but very pleasant, and great if you are going to any of the theatres right around there. We make a point of having dinner there while we are in London.Special Features:
- Back to former gloryLondonDCDined on 16/10/2014After a noticeable dip in standards of both food and service, this beautiful room is once again a beautiful setting for tasty dishes served with warmth and efficiency. Great pre-theatre choice and one of the best options in town for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all roundRDM1VIPDined on 14/10/2014High quality at a really good price with impeccable service. Very impressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodTerriVIPDined on 13/10/2014First time eating here with my partner. We both really enjoyed the food, the duck and steak main courses were wonderful as was my pear and plum crumble. would recommend.Special Features:
- Great as always!lab23Dined on 12/10/2014Great atmosphere, great service, amazing food! Have visited on many occasions and it's always consistently impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- relaxed enviroment, not good valuegianbilDined on 11/10/2014The restaurant has this old fashioned atmosphere which is nice and cosy. The tables are having good space between them so you can have a nice and relaxed meal. The food though is not reflecting its price in my opinion. The snitchel was not anything special and the beef filet for 33 pounds could have been much betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The DelaunayJane4Dined on 11/10/2014Great ambience, spectacular room setting, exemplary service, what more can you ask? A pleasure to experience any time of day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family friendly.AngieDined on 11/10/2014We visited with our teenage kids for a pre theatre early evening dinner. The menu has plenty of choice for both youngsters who are exploring the world of quality dining and adults who enjoy excellent food. Service was efficient and friendly. A real success.Special Features:
- Always a fun experienceSamrezDined on 10/10/2014Great ambience, highly professional but always friendly and welcoming service, excellent food, clever wine list - defines a proper brasserie. We will be back, again and againSpecial Features: