London, WC2B 4BBNeighbourhood:
EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thedelaunay.com/
- Phone: 02074998558
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday: 7am – 11am; Saturday: 8am – 11am
Monday – Saturday: 11.30am – 5pm; Sunday: 11am – 5pm
Monday – Friday: 3pm –6pm; Saturday - Sunday: 3.30pm – 6pm
Monday – Saturday: 5pm – 11.30pm; Sunday: 5pm – 10.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Afternoon Tea
- Executive Chef: Lee Ward
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Chillingworth 02076599302
A word from The Delaunay
Located behind an imposing entrance on the corner of historic Drury Lane and The Aldwych, The Delaunay is an all-day café-restaurant inspired by the grand cafés of Europe. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, morning coffee and afternoon tea are also served seven days a week, alongside a Take-Out section with a local delivery service.Continued
Booking is recommended but a portion of the tables are available for walk-in customers.
Booking is recommended but a portion of the tables are available for walk-in customers.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBrunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerEuropean
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Delaunay - Best restaurants in Covent Garden ›
The Delaunay reviews from OpenTable diners
711 reviews since 3 June 2014
brunch (352)pre/post theatre (341)business meals (290)special occasions (289)afternoon tea (241)fit for foodies (180)romance (154)sunday lunch (152)group bookings (68)disabled access (47)good vegetarian options (44)child friendly (36)outstanding value (25)outdoor eating (2)Show More
- Very enjoyable afternoon tea.OnereviewerDined on 28/9/2014Crisp tablecloths, silverware and chilled champagne accompanied a 3 tier afternoon tea tower. We were made to feel welcome by the excellent service. Worth noting that sandwiches there, are well above average afternoon tea fare. Thank you.Special Features:
- Lovely lunchSal100VIPDined on 27/9/2014We always have a very enjoyable lunch at Delaunay. The food is excellent and such a varied menu. The staff are very attentive. Excellent all roundSpecial Features:
- Nice but over-ratedLynnDined on 27/9/2014Had a quick lunch there before going to a matinee. Huge place, but prompt, efficient service. Even the bread was warm. I went there specifically to try their famous wiener schnitzel which I had heard/read so much about, and it was a bit of a disappointment. I don't mean that it was bad, but it was nowhere like the wiener schnitzel I had in Berlin (the best ever) or Munich, where it is paper thin and crispy. Would go again to try their frankfurters and hot dogs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old EnglandPoshandProudVIPDined on 26/9/2014I love the atmosphere, the service and the food. It is pricy for breakfast - 5 of us was £100 but the food was amazing and there was an awful lot of it! I will return for lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chrisDined on 24/9/2014Very busy when we arrived but excellent meal and very good serviceSpecial Features:
- Always goodDuchessDined on 23/9/2014I am a returning customer, so never question the quality of food, service and atmosphere. I always have a great time and I can't recommend the ambience enough, it feels always classy and never intimidating. Go book a table !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delighted at the DelaunayTeresaDined on 22/9/2014If you want style, elegance and impeccable service - go to the Delaunay. Though if you are hard of hearing, do not, as the ambient noise when it's busy isn't great for anyone straining a bit to hear. Have the Omlette Arnold Bennett - you will never be able to eat another omlette, anywhere, without sighing from past wonderful memories.Special Features:
- A good eveningsamboDined on 21/9/2014As usual -a nice experience in a typical King/Corbin restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Saturday eveningFoodfanDined on 20/9/2014Generally good food and service but waiter spent more time with customers he obviously knew rather than 'one-offs' which is foolish as he would have no idea if you might become regulars. Sometimes difficult to attract attention of staff. Thought prices quite steep for quality but central London location allows them to charge above average. Debatable if we would return or recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre TheatremagicmealsDined on 20/9/2014Great for pre theatre meal. Good atmosphere and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at the DelaunayeatoutoftenDined on 20/9/2014My nephew took me to the Delaunay for brunch. We both had eggs benedict which was good but the ice cream sundaes were amazing. Great ambience and very busy.Special Features:
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 20/9/2014The restaurant is a lively place but it is so noisy that having a conversation is almost impossible. The waiter got our order completely wrong but the food we did have, scrambled eggs, was excellent. I couldn't really recommend the place to friends.
- Lovely decor, good foodLordTDined on 19/9/2014A nice brasserie style restaurant, with a German twist to the menu (liverwurst, wieners, Bavarian chocolate cream...). Casual, bustling, well worth another visit.Special Features:
- Always buzzy...katelondonVIPDined on 18/9/2014Great place for breakfast - always buzzy without being too loudSpecial Features:
- wednesday4Dined on 16/9/2014Yet again a very nice experience at The Delauney,which we find less formal than the Woseley! Very good meal although the carte is smallish and excellent service,very professional.Special Features:
- ElegantalvinmcDined on 14/9/2014A consistently elegant restaurant. The meals are well prepared with a reasonably priced wine menu. The filet stroganoff was excellent and my wife loved the prime rib. A very enjoyable meal for everyone in our partySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingNinjaDined on 14/9/2014Having been looking forward to this for a while I was incredibly disappointed by the overall experience. From the reception failing to find my reservation (it was quickly found when I showed them my confirmation email) to waiting far too long for a drink the overall service experience was awful. The place was packed, as you would expect on Sunday at 11am, but that really is no excuse. The best thing about this place is the space, it's perfect for visiting tourists and out of town parents that want a bit of classical London glamour. If you want decent food then it's here but it's spectacularly expensive, and that is even for London. I won't be coming back while there are literally hundreds of better places for Brunch in town.Special Features:
- Poor service and average foodJmahginDined on 13/9/2014A disappointing visit. Service was unattentive and food arrived cold. Poor attitude of manager. We won't be returning.Special Features:
- DisappointedashkangDined on 13/9/2014I normally love this place and go often. However this time was very disappointing particularly on service. All the other staff were great as usual except the one. From the beginning till the end, he was fast but nothing else. He seemed like not wanting to work at all and was chewing something in his mouth very visibly when he was getting our orders. Whenever he talked something or answering someting, he was rude and almost throw the bill on the table. Also disappear before finishing my sentence. Even we stayed for short to have brunch, we rushed out as we felt uncomfortable. But everyone else was very friendly and food/ambience was nice. It is shame that he was the one who kept coming to our table.Special Features:
- Great brunchAnishaDined on 13/9/2014I had a great brunch here before London Fashion Week - the food, service & atmosphere was lovelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Schnitzel heavensmyslovDined on 12/9/2014We took my son to Delaunay for his birthday meal. He is a huge Schnitzel connoisseur and was recently in Germany with his grandfather (a German emigre) where he indulged his passion. The Delaunay Schnitzel was absolutely of the highest standard and stood comparison very well with the native article. The sides were also excellent, the potato salad, the pickled cucumber salad, the mash, the wilted spinach. We were so full, we couldn't do justice to the puddings.Special Features:
- Stylish; delicious; convenient.FlicVIPDined on 12/9/2014In this elegant room it is easy to sip the (expensive but good) wine and people-watch while appreciating the impeccable linen napery and warming to the engaging and efficient staff. The food offer has a strongly Central European flavour to it and is as competently executed as everything these two restauranteurs touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful interior and presentationFeedmefranDined on 11/9/2014It's old grandeur. The silverware, the service, the look. The food is also a bit dates but it's generous and tasty and not badly priced for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch in LondoneplauVIPDined on 10/9/2014Amazing food, great service! Eggs are a must - A huge fan!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014Excellent food, great service and a relaxed atmophere for a romantic evening outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for brunchDiningfanDined on 6/9/2014We had a fabulous brunch here and would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delaunaybirdyVIPDined on 5/9/2014Even though we were put at a table in outer Siberia, the food was as good as ever.Special Features:
- Very reliableSouthKenlocalDined on 2/9/2014Place was buzzing as always, great food, perfect supper after the theatre next doorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JamieDined on 2/9/2014Lovely ambience and extremely convenient for pre-theatre dining. The food was good but I didn't love many of the things on the menu, so check it online before you go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place to talk & eat wellWoodhouseDined on 1/9/2014The food at the Delauney is very good indeed, as is the service and the ambiance. What really distinguishes it from other London restaurants is the ability to enjoy a meal and a conversation simultaneously. Tables are far enough apart and the noise level is acceptable. Enough for a buzz but not so much that you have to shout. Had a very enjoyable afternoon and would return.Special Features:
- Stylish yet friendlyBooberlooberVIPDined on 31/8/2014The Delauney is one of our favourite restaurants for celebrating a special occasion. This time we sampled the breakfast menu and we loved it! The selection is impressive and it's good to see staples such as a good old fry-up and boiled eggs alongside birchmuesli and pancakes. The service is friendly and discreet and we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing LucianhippocakeDined on 30/8/2014Should not the two scoops of ice cream have had some nuts over them and not just a caramel sauce and a wafer? A very disappointing coupe after a delicious starter and main course as ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice enoughSuzy2ShoesDined on 30/8/2014We had a family birthday dinner at the Delaunay a number of weeks ago. The food was enjoyable but not amazing, the staff friendly and the ambience bustling. Great location for a decent meal before heading to watch something on stage.Special Features:
- Good and rather glamorousUniDinerDined on 28/8/2014We really enjoyed eating here. I don't imagine it's ever peaceful but arriving just as the pre-theatre customers were leaving was a good move. I noticed one corner table finishing afternoon tea, which although odd at 7.15 somehow made it feel like a real brasserie. It's a huge restaurant and the décor is truly glamorous. It's noisy but not so noisy that we had difficulty chatting. The service was excellent despite the size and buzz. A fantastic tomato salad to start - a simple dish made exciting by its colourful mixture of varieties. My partner's calves' liver was spot-on. My Wiener Schnitzel was fine, if not tender enough to be memorable (and enormous, so only order veg with it). Lots of good wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lunchLaurenDined on 28/8/2014I took a client here for lunch last week and it was excellent. The service and atmosphere was great and the food was divine. I will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseMidlanderDined on 23/8/2014Really enjoyed an early evening dinner in between shows next door. Ingredients and cooking were excellent, and service well-drilled and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely mealSal100VIPDined on 23/8/2014We have eaten at Delaunay's lots of times, and it is always very good. The food is excellent and so is the service. Very enjoyable mealSpecial Features:
- DisappointedlzonDined on 23/8/2014Average food , disappointing service , poor value ( they even have a cover charge , not sure what for , perhaps the bad bread they put on the table ) money better spent elsewhere . Will not be returning in a hurry
- Good NewspeteDined on 21/8/2014After a very disappointing experience some months ago we were more than delighted to find food and service to be of a very high standardSpecial Features:
- Posh NoshPinappleannDined on 19/8/2014The perfect pre theatre dining experience…The service is good and quick and the room is busy but spacious. I found the food rather rich and would have liked some simpler options, but the kedgeree we had was good if a bit more like curried risotto! Why do the ladies toilets never have enough cubicles, as everyone finished eating at the same time to get to the theatre there was an uncomfortable queue in a restricted space.Special Features: