London, WC2B 4BBNeighbourhood:
EuropeanPrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thedelaunay.com/
- Phone: 02074998558
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday: 7am – 11am; Saturday: 8am – 11am
Monday – Saturday: 11.30am – 5pm; Sunday: 11am – 5pm
Monday – Friday: 3pm –6pm; Saturday - Sunday: 3.30pm – 6pm
Monday – Saturday: 5pm – 11.30pm; Sunday: 5pm – 10.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Afternoon Tea
- Executive Chef: Lee Ward
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Chillingworth 02076599302
A word from The Delaunay
Located behind an imposing entrance on the corner of historic Drury Lane and The Aldwych, The Delaunay is an all-day café-restaurant inspired by the grand cafés of Europe. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, morning coffee and afternoon tea are also served seven days a week, alongside a Take-Out section with a local delivery service.Continued
Booking is recommended but a portion of the tables are available for walk-in customers.
Booking is recommended but a portion of the tables are available for walk-in customers.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBrunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerEuropean
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Delaunay - Best restaurants in Covent Garden ›
The Delaunay reviews from OpenTable diners
724 reviews since 22 October 2013
pre/post theatre (354)brunch (352)business meals (300)special occasions (290)afternoon tea (241)fit for foodies (184)romance (159)sunday lunch (155)group bookings (75)disabled access (50)good vegetarian options (47)child friendly (40)outstanding value (28)outdoor eating (2)Show More
- The DelaunaycarrieDined on 19/10/2014Reliably good food combined with exceptional service and a buzzy atmosphereSpecial Features:
- TeresaDined on 19/10/2014Dining here is always an extremely positive experience!Special Features:
- Delaunay at Aldwychluv2eatVIPDined on 18/10/2014I visited Delaunay restaurant at Aldwych for the first time & was very impressed with everything. The restaurant was beautiful & the food, ambience & sevice was 1st class. i would really recommend Delaunay's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick service - good pre-theatre.GnasherDined on 18/10/2014We visited on a Saturday after a visit to a matinee theatre performance. We were looking forward to eating here as we have heard good things about The Delauney. We were asked if we were going to the theatre to which we replied that we had already been to the theatre. Our first course arrived and was delicious beetroot cured salmon. Immediately our starter plate was cleared, our main courses arrived. I felt very rushed and I was still drinking the white wine I had ordered with the salmon. I then had to ask for glasses for the red. If I go again I will be much clearer about our time frame. The menu prices are such that I wanted a special occasion, instead, I got indigestion.Special Features:
- Service with genuine careTamaraDined on 17/10/2014We were given a table in a busy area and asked to be moved. There was no fuss and we we're put in a quieter area. I had a fabulous birthday. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old schoolSimonDined on 17/10/2014I took clients here (bankers and lawyers) and it was perfect. Even with a noon booking it filled up fast to produce a vibrant atmosphere. Food was great - schnitzel lived up to all expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Elegant and DeliciousDrBillDined on 17/10/2014I am a regular at the Delaunay - I go 3 or 4 times every time I am in London. They have wonderful breakfasts, lunch and dinner - and afternoon tea!! For a very good meal in elegant surroundings, there is nowhere better than the Delaunay. (don't forget the puddings - they are famous for them!)Special Features:
- We always return to the DelaunatSanFranciscoVoyagerDined on 16/10/2014This restaurant is always so good. The atmosphere is so welcoming and well done. And the location just about directly across and up the street from the Savoy, just walk across the Strand onto Aldwych (where that little pocket of theatres is located). Busch House, across the street from the restaurant is no longer the home of the BBC (too bad, so much history there), and the building is now empty, soon to be converted to offices). If you went to this restaurant you would probably like it, not overly expensive (by London standards)(but not cheap), but very pleasant, and great if you are going to any of the theatres right around there. We make a point of having dinner there while we are in London.Special Features:
- Back to former gloryLondonDCDined on 16/10/2014After a noticeable dip in standards of both food and service, this beautiful room is once again a beautiful setting for tasty dishes served with warmth and efficiency. Great pre-theatre choice and one of the best options in town for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all roundRDM1VIPDined on 14/10/2014High quality at a really good price with impeccable service. Very impressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodTerriVIPDined on 13/10/2014First time eating here with my partner. We both really enjoyed the food, the duck and steak main courses were wonderful as was my pear and plum crumble. would recommend.Special Features:
- Great as always!lab23Dined on 12/10/2014Great atmosphere, great service, amazing food! Have visited on many occasions and it's always consistently impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- relaxed enviroment, not good valuegianbilDined on 11/10/2014The restaurant has this old fashioned atmosphere which is nice and cosy. The tables are having good space between them so you can have a nice and relaxed meal. The food though is not reflecting its price in my opinion. The snitchel was not anything special and the beef filet for 33 pounds could have been much betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The DelaunayJane4Dined on 11/10/2014Great ambience, spectacular room setting, exemplary service, what more can you ask? A pleasure to experience any time of day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family friendly.AngieDined on 11/10/2014We visited with our teenage kids for a pre theatre early evening dinner. The menu has plenty of choice for both youngsters who are exploring the world of quality dining and adults who enjoy excellent food. Service was efficient and friendly. A real success.Special Features:
- Always a fun experienceSamrezDined on 10/10/2014Great ambience, highly professional but always friendly and welcoming service, excellent food, clever wine list - defines a proper brasserie. We will be back, again and againSpecial Features:
- Pre theatre at DelaunayFerrs11Dined on 9/10/2014Our first visit to The Delaunay. It is a lovely restaurant with a great ambience. Service was excellent and they ensured we got out in good time for our theatre without rushing us in any way. It is a pity they do not do any type of fixed price pre theatre offer but since at 6.00pm it was pretty busy I suspect they do not need to! The food was relatively expensive for what was on offer (I had the chicken schnitzel but it came with no sides at all and so it came in well over £20.00 with two sides. It is a pity also to find increasing numbers of restaurants reintroducing a cover charge. I have no problem paying for bread if I want it but when it is put on the table with no reference to a cover charge I begrudge it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent value but slowClareDVIPDined on 9/10/2014Breakfast was good, decent choice and some different options but service was pretty slow which is not great for business breakfast and the acoustics make it very buzzy but hard to hear each other.
- AS EVER - LOVELY!LALEYBRITDined on 8/10/2014SUCH GRACIOUS SERVICE AND EXCELLENT FOOD AS ALWAYS. WE NEVER HAVE A BAD WORD TO SAY ABOUT SUPPER OR BREAKFAST AT THE DELAUNAY - STANDARDS NEVER SLIP!Special Features:
- Absolute guaranteed great night outJudebruceDined on 7/10/2014I'm here every couple of months. It is superb and always feel like an "occasion". Love it!Special Features:
- Time machineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/10/2014A refined trip back to Brasserie masterclass era. Fantastic food, service and atmosphere. Perfect for a business lunch or a romantic evening meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ExperienceJennyLDined on 6/10/2014I have had breakfast here many times and always thoroughly enjoyed it, but I had dinner the other night and I have to say it was a very good experience. The service was attentive, the food was good and everything was as it should be. Its quite formal but there is still a buzz in the restaurant, and the menu was excellent. Its quite pricey but I felt was good value for money and I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Austrian favouritesOdedSDined on 3/10/2014I am a returning customer. European Service, the tastes of Austria, late post theatre opening and good food make it a favourite. Their Tea service is also great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just gets betterjonnynianDined on 3/10/2014Once again we had a fantastic meal, fabulous wine and excellent service. The place was packed (post theatre) and buzzing as always. It really does get better and better every time we dine there. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelaunayBLDEVIPDined on 2/10/2014The staff here are lovely. We were made so welcome. We only wanted a main course and that was fine, there was absolutely no pressure. Very meaty Germanic menu but that's what this place is about. I ordered a chicken schnitzel and got the shock of my life when it turned up. It was HUGE. My friend and I thought there had been a mistake and that it was a meal for two!! She ordered two different sausages which came with delicious sauerkraut and a wonderful relish. We had green beans and almonds which were the perfect combination. Can't fault this place. We'll be back.....soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bustling & BrilliantRosaDined on 1/10/2014The Delaunay is the Viennese equivalent of La Cupole or one of the great Parisian brasseries. It is vast, busy, noisy & full of life. We ate after seeing Wolf Hall at the Aldwych & again after seeing the second RSC play a month later. Both were great meals & on the last occasion the restaurant's normal vibrancy was increased by the entire cast & Hilary Mantel, the author, celebrating the end of their London run, there. It's great food too. The schnitzels, cucumber salad & potato salad are, as they say, "to die for". Fabulous place, just don't go for a quiet time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent pre theatreJoannaDined on 1/10/2014This was our second visit for pre theatre dinner, for which it is perfect. The service is quick and the food very good, though pricey but it is West End and part of a pricey group. The mushroom starter was excellent, ditto the tart, and the cod goujons beautifully home made. Our guests enjoyed the steak tartare. We would consider it again for near by theatres. The staff are pleasant and helpful, the welcome is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable afternoon tea.OnereviewerDined on 28/9/2014Crisp tablecloths, silverware and chilled champagne accompanied a 3 tier afternoon tea tower. We were made to feel welcome by the excellent service. Worth noting that sandwiches there, are well above average afternoon tea fare. Thank you.Special Features:
- Lovely lunchSal100VIPDined on 27/9/2014We always have a very enjoyable lunch at Delaunay. The food is excellent and such a varied menu. The staff are very attentive. Excellent all roundSpecial Features:
- Nice but over-ratedLynnDined on 27/9/2014Had a quick lunch there before going to a matinee. Huge place, but prompt, efficient service. Even the bread was warm. I went there specifically to try their famous wiener schnitzel which I had heard/read so much about, and it was a bit of a disappointment. I don't mean that it was bad, but it was nowhere like the wiener schnitzel I had in Berlin (the best ever) or Munich, where it is paper thin and crispy. Would go again to try their frankfurters and hot dogs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing BruncheplauVIPDined on 27/9/2014Brill menu, flavoursome food! Woudl definately return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old EnglandPoshandProudVIPDined on 26/9/2014I love the atmosphere, the service and the food. It is pricy for breakfast - 5 of us was £100 but the food was amazing and there was an awful lot of it! I will return for lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chrisDined on 24/9/2014Very busy when we arrived but excellent meal and very good serviceSpecial Features:
- Always goodDuchessDined on 23/9/2014I am a returning customer, so never question the quality of food, service and atmosphere. I always have a great time and I can't recommend the ambience enough, it feels always classy and never intimidating. Go book a table !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delighted at the DelaunayTeresaDined on 22/9/2014If you want style, elegance and impeccable service - go to the Delaunay. Though if you are hard of hearing, do not, as the ambient noise when it's busy isn't great for anyone straining a bit to hear. Have the Omlette Arnold Bennett - you will never be able to eat another omlette, anywhere, without sighing from past wonderful memories.Special Features:
- A good eveningsamboDined on 21/9/2014As usual -a nice experience in a typical King/Corbin restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Special BruncheplauVIPDined on 21/9/2014Brill menu, flavoursome food! Woudl definately return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Saturday eveningFoodfanDined on 20/9/2014Generally good food and service but waiter spent more time with customers he obviously knew rather than 'one-offs' which is foolish as he would have no idea if you might become regulars. Sometimes difficult to attract attention of staff. Thought prices quite steep for quality but central London location allows them to charge above average. Debatable if we would return or recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre TheatremagicmealsDined on 20/9/2014Great for pre theatre meal. Good atmosphere and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at the DelaunayeatoutoftenDined on 20/9/2014My nephew took me to the Delaunay for brunch. We both had eggs benedict which was good but the ice cream sundaes were amazing. Great ambience and very busy.Special Features: