The Fox Inn
Nr Moreton on the Marsh
Gloucestershire, GL56 0URNeighbourhood:
EuropeanPrice: £25 and under
The Fox Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.foxinn.net/
- Phone: 01451 870555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday 12:00PM - 2:30PM
Dinner: Monday - Friday 6:00PM - 9:30PM, Saturday 6:00PM - 10:00PM, Sunday 7:00PM - 9:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, British
- Executive Chef: Peter Robinson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Fox Inn
The Fox Inn Restaurant is situated in the beautiful village of Lower Oddington 3 miles outside the historic town of Stow on the Wold offering excellent modern British food in tradition pub surroundings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Fox Inn - Best restaurants in Moreton-In-Marsh ›
The Fox Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since 28 November 2013
special occasions (7)sunday lunch (7)fit for foodies (7)romance (6)outdoor eating (5)business meals (4)good vegetarian options (3)group bookings (2)brunch (2)outstanding value (2)child friendly (1)Show More
- First class foodSandy70Dined on 13/11/2014Whilst staying at the Fox Inn we decided to eat in the restaurant on our first night . We had starters of the Cornish fish soup mains of Pork belly and Partridge and finished with the cheese board all of which were excellent,so good that we decided to book for the next evening ,quite a compliment considering the choice in this area Anyway Friday evening was much busier, due to the Racing, but the service was still excellent and the food even better We shared a starter of a Smoked haddock scotch egg with chorizo this was exceptionally good I then followed with the fillet of Cod brown shrimp and caper butter (nicest fish I have ever tasted) My wife had said all day she fancied the Ham egg and chips this was also very good My pudding actually exceeded the rest of the meal it was Chilled rice pudding with a caramel sauce served with poached figs and vino santo I have eaten in wonderful restaurants all over the world but have to say that last nights was one of my bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CSeatonDined on 7/11/2014Consistently good. We entertained friends and they were extremely impressed. Apart from the lovely food I particularly like the relaxed atmosphere. We will continue to visit on a regular basis.Special Features:
- Relaxed mealcloftyDined on 14/9/2014Staying in the area and booked a Sunday evening meal here. Lovely looking menu for foodies with a french influence even snails and steak tartare on the menu. We were stuffed from lunch so i had a salad for a starter (pear/blue cheese figs yummy) and then a traditional ham egg and chips. Hubby had an enormus smoked haddock scotch egg and venison. He was very happy. Really cute surroundings and can be summed up by my hubbie's comment "why dont we have a pub like this around the corner from us in London"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional Country PubStephenDulwichVIPDined on 25/8/2014The Fix Inn is a classic up-market country pub. Traditional timber, low roofs, rambling rooms and a friendly feel. The menu is everything that you would except along with a few continental twists. The Bath Chap, scotch quail egg, chicory & watercress was a great mix of powerful flavours and rough textures. The Venison ragu, chestnut gnocchi & Cavolo Nero was cooked to perfection. Easy to serve poorly. There are plenty of bottles of wine available for around £30 plus a few good ones by the glass. If you have room for dessert they are more along the expected path, but tasty nonetheless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Fox InndevilnVIPDined on 16/5/2014After a bit of convincing they kindly read out the menu and let us order from the car as we were running late from London. Lovely setting and the food was great, in our opinion even better then The Wild Rabbit the following evening dare I say!
- a birthday on Easter SundaydinersutdDined on 20/4/2014Great service and food even though the place was packed. Only criticism would be that the tables were a bit close but this is probably as a result that they are very popular and rightly so but diners comfort could spoil a great placeSpecial Features:
- Beautiful food, fantastic serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/4/2014My partner and I ate here on Friday evening. Professional service with a smile and the food prepared for us was made with care and was beautifully fresh! Lamb was LUSH!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant - fabulous roast lunchmisssm12VIPDined on 23/3/2014After trying the roast lunch by chance on our last visit to Stow at The old butcher, was really sad to see that they have moved away. At first i thought they were closed so was searching until i found that the chef has moved to the Fox Inn. After reading mixed reviews - i was so happy to find that their roast was just as delicious as i remember it a few years ago. So happy that they did not run out of beef. The rest of the menu was delicious too. There was a mistake on our receipt but it was corrected without hesitancy. Thank you Fox Inn for a nice touch to our last day in Cotswold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a family Sunday lunchLeDapDined on 16/3/2014Had a family Sunday lunch for 6 and all enjoyed it immensely. Excellent pork roast with all the trimmings - including great roast potatoes.Special Features:
- A really good experienceMaverickDined on 5/1/2014We entertained friends to Sunday lunch and were not disappointed ~ every table was booked and full, despite the terrible weather conditions. The menu offers some unusual dishes (especially the pear & chicory salad & the fish scotch egg) as well as the excellent Sunday fare of roast beef, pork & chicken. The portions are very substantial, so much so that none of us could manage dessert or the fine cheese platter. Everything ordered was consumed with delight & despite the crowd, the wait was minimal. The ambience of the Fox makes it almost perfect for the connoisseur but perhaps a little pricey for a family meal. Our bill was £124 with only three glasses of wine and no desserts for take your partner there for a special treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 336 reviews are from the The Fox Inn reviews archive.
- Great food and Friendly StaffTheatregoerDined on 25/10/2013Very enjoyable Friday evening dinner. Great food, imaginative menu and attentive staff. Also good wine list and a decent gin and tonic - plenty of ice in a big glass! We have also had a lovely outdoor lunch there in August. I would recommend the Fox to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Cooking in a Cotswold PubCountryBoyDined on 20/9/2013The food at The Fox is a cut above. 5 of us ate, & each meal was superb. There is something of that old fashioned French approach to cookery about the very British food ... it is 'melded', it revels in local fresh ingredients, it is made & cooked with great care. The service is very friendly, informed & quite formal in style ... even the salt & pepper are The Fox feels like a pub, restaurant & country wine bar all-at-once. 3 starters, 5 mains, 4 desserts, house wine & water. The bill was £170. Ouch!, but 4 stars for value since this was one of the very best meals I've had in a long time, & I would not want to not reward hard work & skill properly. This is a proper chef preparing delicious food in a country pub. Thoroughly recommended!Special Features:
- DisappointedZabeDined on 6/8/2013We were so disappointed. We stay in the Cotswolds every year and always go to The Old Butchers. We are so keen that we book it months in advance. We were surprised to find that the restaurant had moved to The Fox Inn as we hadn't been notified of this change. However, we set off happily expecting great food, good service and a lovely restaurant. The girl at reception had no idea what she was doing and looked terrified. There were lots of staff but none of them were allowed to take orders and we waited over 30 mins to order. We didn't get any bread in that time. My husband was given the wrong starter and then his main was only lukewarm. The waitress we asked didn't understand English well enough to understand about re-heating the food.
- Lovely Ambience. Great selectiondomyyDined on 23/5/2013Lovely Ambience. Great selection and casual enough without being too casual. A great neighbourhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- misinformation!maberDined on 4/5/2013The Old Butcher's would have been lovely - had it been open! However, I was left an answerphone message to explain that the restaurant has closed and that toptable should not be taking bookings. This was most disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- How can this happen?WillieDined on 2/5/2013I booked a table at the Old Butchers, Stow on the Wold through Top Table for the evening of the 2nd. May. I had eaten there before so was looking forward to the occasion. I arrived in Stow in good time after a 15 mile drive only to find the restaurant closed. By the looks of it the place had been closed for some time. How was I able to book a table through Toptable, get an acknowledgement and a reminder of my booking the day before I was due to eat when the place had closed down?
- Foxy Old Butchersdinah2lotDined on 9/4/2013A quick butchers at the "Old Butchers" in Stow and you'll see its closed & re-located to "The Fox" in Lower Oddington ! The latter venue is very cosy with the informality of a Pub but very classy,top notch "Gastropub" food. Its been well known for such for many years. The wine list is wide ranging from robust good value to wallet bending fine wines. Service was a little hurried for our particular group's taste, but otherwise discreet without being intrusive and not a single "Not a problem"was uttered ! A new coffee machine,apparently about to materialize will be a welcome addition. All in all very good value for a very good meal.Special Features:
- Great nightphaniehillDined on 6/4/2013Had a fabulous evening with my boyfriend on Saturday - the staff were wonderful and the food outstanding. we had gorgeous oysters, calfs brain, a first time for me but loved it and the calfs liver for main - the thought of which is still making my mouth water :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodIangDined on 30/3/2013Have been before and our visit this time was just as good. Great service, great food and a lovely atmosphere. An excellent choice for a birthday celebrationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A restaurant that has character,gooSuda49Dined on 13/3/2013A restaurant that has character,good food ,good wine and a good service. I certainly would recommend this eatery to anyone in the vicinity of Stow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Superb!RockydogDined on 10/3/2013Have never been disappointed at the Old Butcher's. Interesting and varied menu cooked to perfection. Calves liver is irresistible once you have tried it. Owners and staff create a warm and friendly ambience. Can't wait for next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My partner and I had a wonderfulsonghuaDined on 9/3/2013My partner and I had a wonderful time at The Old Butcher's and both agreed that it was the best meal we had enjoyed for a long time. The staff were very friendly, knowledgeable and welcoming. I have no hesitation in recommending the restaurant to friend and family and we certainly plan to visit again in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the low downinnit2winnitDined on 9/3/2013charming atmosphere and superb quality of food served by friendly and efficient staff also an unusal and tasty cheese capped the lunch off wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to the hypeCoupleEscapingDined on 2/3/2013Whilst planning for our break to the Cotswolds, my wife and I scoured the internet for the best restaurant we could find, within reasonable distance from where we were staying. Everything we read about The Old Butchers suggested it was a great restaurant. Well, we were not disappointed! The first thing we appreciated was the friendly welcome, and overall ambience of the place, which was both welcoming and intimate. The food? Fantastic. No other word for it. Everything that we ordered was absolutely top-notch, and a real treat. Drinks? Also excellent. My wife really rated their Chablis, and the wine list had a "hand picked" feel to it. I had beer... In a frosted glass! A superb experience, which we cannot recommend enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cotswold gemgloucesteroldspotDined on 20/2/2013outstanding,slightly quirky food offering all parts of the animal,friendly service and ambience;highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Lunch during SnowMagooDined on 13/2/2013We dined at the Old butchers during one of the snowy days, and were immediately delighted with the additional gas heaters and curtain over the door, which provided a snug warm respite to the minus temperatures outside. We informed the server we were on the Dukan diet, so no fat etc - no problem! We were served with steamed mussels which were delicious, pan fried (with no oil/butter) calves liver and fillet steak, both with vegetables. Our meals were extremely fresh and tasty and we were delighted we had been able to enjoy an almost gourmet lunch while sticking to the diet. Our friends had the beetroot salad and fish soup which they said were delicious. The rib of beef bourguignon was pronounced as "wonderful" .Special Features:
- A most enjoyable evening!ClooneyVIPDined on 9/2/2013On a cold damp evening in Stow we received a warm welcome and a very enjoyable evening. We would thoroughly recommend the Old Butchers and hope to returnI would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent and excellentgastronomicaDined on 25/1/2013We went to the Old Butcher again this month (depite the icy roads!) and enjoyed the Chef's culinary skills just as much we did before. Also the wine by the glass is very good. Quality, presentation and service were excellent again and this lovely restaurant will remain on top of our list.Special Features:
- One of the best in the CotswoldsgastronomicaDined on 19/12/2012The feel of The Old Butcher's is elegant, simple and sophisticated, however, the tables are perhaps a bit too close together. The aubergine starter was delicious and the calves liver was out of this world. Cooked to perfection! I love to finish my dinner with a small selection of cheese and the three cheeses on the menu proved to be a perfect combination of flavours. The service was very friendly and efficient. In my opinion, The Old Butcher's is one of the best restaurants in the Cotswolds and from now on, we will be regular customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OveratedUnderwhelmedDined on 20/11/2012Overpriced and Overated Better Pub food available in the Cotswolds
- ButcherscornalexDined on 17/11/2012Had not been here for years. It was just as I recalled, good food good house wine and nice atmosphere. Will book again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice resturant, very busy,oscarDined on 16/11/2012nice resturant, very busy, great old fashioned english menu, one very noisy loud table next to us with constant serious swearing, rather surprised one of the staff didn't have a quiet word. although we were late arriving due to thick fog the resturant was most understanding. the colchester oysters were outstanding. considering the high quality food the prices were not outlandish. m j haywood
- Mainly great, took ages to leavesmallcheeseDined on 10/11/2012We had a lovely meal at this restaurant, where I took my now wife 5 years ago when we got engaged on a weekend in a cottage in Stow. It was great to be back and the food and overall service was great. The atmosphere is lovely and although possibly a little more crammed in than I remember previously it was really enjoyable. The thing which disappointed us when when we came to leave. Having been very attentive the whole evening our waiter disappeared once the coffees had been brought out, meaning that it took a very long time for us to actually leave once we decided to. It took around 20 minutes to get the attention of someone to request the bill, and another 10 to pay and leave. A disappointing end to a lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodfoodiesDined on 8/11/2012The Old Butchers is consistently good. The menu is always interesting and changes daily, the food is exciting and always excellent, the wine list is great and staff friendly and accommodating. We have been going here for years and have never been disappointed. This place has the best chef in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bournville Beekeepers LunchbournvillebeesDined on 7/11/2012The restaurant has a modern bistro feel, is in a quiet location. The staff where attentive, although that bit about filling my wine glass I find an annoying occurence at all restaurants. We both went for mussels as a starter, agreeing they where the best we had had for some time. A good sized portion for a starter, very tasty and cooked well. I had Partridge, which was cooked well, served with Dauphinios, savoy cabbage/chestnuts, and a nice bread sauce. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Colin ordered the Cassoulet, which was very nice, Duck Leg, Ham Hock and Harricot beans, right size for the dish, but a bit expensive for its size. We chose a nice Sicilian Nero D'arvalo for under £20, which was nice. £72 total (no auto service charge +++)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Lunch at Stowegoes4qualityDined on 4/11/2012Service was a bit slow but this seemed due to a couple of large groups arriving at the same time. The experience however was balanced by some good quality food, value for money and pleasant staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous for Foodies et al!ComeFineDinewithMeDined on 3/11/2012This hidden gem down a pretty Cotswold stone lane is one of the best restaurants we have ever visited and we sampled food that was of obvious high quality, cooked with great skill and was absolutely delicious! Try the Duck rillette, cornicons & toast starter or the Pate - both are exquisite and we equally enjoyed the Calves Liver and the Fillet Steak with Ox Cheek. Dessert list has lots of mouth-watering options. Chocolate Fondant was cooked to oozing perfection as was the warm Blackberry Frangipane. Go for Woo Woo and Hedgerow cocktails - both sublime! A warm welcome, fantastic service ~our waiter was informative + suggested great choices! Definitely up there with celebrity chef restaurants in London. Deserves a Michelin Star!Special Features:
- Enjoyed a Friday evening meal.SteveMDined on 2/11/2012Enjoyed a Friday evening meal. Restaurant was very busy but we had a nice corner table and could sit back and watch the restaurant ambience which was fantastic throughout the evening. Food was very good indeed - certainly up with some Michelin starred restaurants we have visited and plenty of variety on the menu. Service was very friendly but a little slow at times - a product perhaps of a busy Friday night but just slow enough that we did notice it. Nevertheless a thoroughly enjoyable evening and we will certainly return on our next visit to the Cotswolds. Very highly recommended for both the food and the atmosphere and at £50 a head for food and all drinks really outstanding value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mouth-watering MenuFoodtouristsDined on 30/10/2012Four of us dined at The Old Butchers on a Tuesday evening. There were enough diners to create a good atmosphere. The service was friendly and attentive. Everything on the menu sounded so good, that we struggled to choose, but as we all chose something different for each course we were able to sample a large percentage of it. We were not disappointed in anything. Scallops with chorizo were perfectly cooked and the flavours well balanced. My friend loved her fish soup and slow-braised ox cheeks and my dessert of pannacotta with strawberries came with little cubes of champagne jelly and honeycomb pieces. It was outstanding. I would definitely go back next time we are in the Cotswolds. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious feast - buzzy atmosphereCaroDined on 13/10/2012The restaurant was packed so glad we booked, the food was inspired and delicious and we will try to re-enact the girolles and snails on ciabatta at home!! Great choice of wine for all budgets though the Tiganello was a bit on the lumpy side, we settled for a lovely St Emilion! Main was delicious as were the starters and puddings and nothing could be faulted except it was a bit "wings in" on the table though this was probably because the restaurant was so popular. Friendly staff and a really buzzy atmosphere. When we are in the area, we will definitely eat here again!! YUMMY!! A must visit for foodies like us! :-)Special Features: