The French Table
85 Maple Road
Surbiton, KT6 4AWNeighbourhood:
FrenchPrice: £26 to £40
The French Table
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefrenchtable.co.uk/
- Phone: 02083992365
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday 12:00PM - 2:30PM Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 7:00PM - 10:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Eric Guignard
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar/Lounge, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room
- Special Events: Summer and Autumn Wine Dinners - See website for more details Chocolate and Wine Matching - See website for more details
A word from The French Table
Opened in 2001 by husband and wife team Eric and Sarah Guignard. French/Mediterranean food, warm and welcoming ambience, delicious menus changing frequently using the best available fresh produce. Private Dining Room for up to 26 people ideal for parties and events. Best French Local Restaurant runnerup on Gordon Ramsay's The F Word 2009. Masterclasses available throughout the year. See www.ericguignard.co.uk for more detailsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Value
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasions
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
The French Table - Best restaurants in Surbiton ›
The French Table reviews from OpenTable diners
311 reviews since 22 May 2014
special occasions (251)fit for foodies (198)romance (134)business meals (90)outstanding value (52)sunday lunch (36)group bookings (33)good vegetarian options (20)brunch (16)pre/post theatre (12)disabled access (10)afternoon tea (5)child friendly (5)Show More
- Totally Outstanding in Every WayBernDined on 17/9/2014The food is amazing, the service is amazing, the ambience amazing and the buzz amazing - impossible to find anything that could be improved and most definitely my new favourite restaurant. The people there really care, they phoned up before to find out if it was any special occasion, which it was - my daughter's 20th birthday - and they added little touches that made it very special for her. I would recommend this restaurant to anybody and the Espresso Martini is a must.Special Features:
- HighandDryGolf1Dined on 16/9/2014My favourite French restaurant anywhere on Earth. Gets better and better. Sarah knows her wines, Eric cooks 'gold' and all the staff are great. Recommended!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sat night at TFTMalkawiDined on 13/9/2014Busy as would be expected. Staff friendly and efficient. Had crab started which was very good and cod for main. Both cooked to perfection. Excellent service. Will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would highly recommend a visit!GirlWirl67Dined on 13/9/2014We were celebrating a special friends' .birthday with a 'posh girlie lunch'. The food was faultless and service outstanding. The unexpected personal touches of a named 'birthday greeting' on the menu and tasteful birthday sprinkles on the table was a lovely added touch. I would highly recommend a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/9/2014Loved the food and the service. Very happy to recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Again!BazPDined on 12/9/2014Returned for Anniversary Dinner. Have been a regular of French Table. The staff always make you feel special and attentive to needs. Taster menu excellent. Wine list moderate. Always full and humming. Parking atrocious so give yourself 15 mins extra. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time did not dissapointOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/9/2014I love this place - really good food in a friendly atmosphere. Simply put, the food it fantastic from the 'home made' bread to the fresh, seasonal ingredients, cooked perfectly for your starter and main course. I had the quail special starter which was lovely and the pork main - they were both delicious and I savoured every mouthful. Service is perfect ; there is a really 'family' feel. They are very friendly and attentive when you want it but leave you to it if you are talking. My only gripe is the pudding didn't wow but in it's defence It had a lot to live up to with the other two courses. Overall, it was a really lovely meal and I can't wait to go there again.Special Features:
- Emperors new clothesMike999Dined on 11/9/2014From reviews and personal recommendations we were expecting the 'wow' factor, so maybe that's why we were disappointed. When we walked in to the restaurant we felt uncomfortable, it is quite cramped and you feel like you've walked in on a private function. The staff however, were quickly there to greet us and show us to our table. This was our wedding anniversary and unfortunately the tables are so close together (intimate?) you can hear every word of the conversation going on either side of your table. The food was presented well. The service I would describe as slow. My wife had shell in the first bite of crab, my potatoes and croquette were over cooked. It's good as they say, but it's not Carling! 😔Special Features:
- lizphysioDined on 11/9/2014The staff were attentive and friendly. There was an excellent range of dishes and everyone was delighted with their choice. The wines were affordable and good quality. One of our party would have liked a vegetarian choice on the main menu; she did not feel she wanted to ask for a separate menu as she is not exclusively a vegetarian). We had a lovely evening and although the last to leave we did not feel we were being rushed out.Special Features:
- Great experienceMamamiaDined on 10/9/2014Excellent waitress. Food fantastic. Relaxed atmosphere, good for special occassionz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/9/2014I felt like the restaurant was enjoying my visit as much as l was , which l must say is definitely not always the case .I had to wait approximately eight weeks to get the date l wanted and l think it is a good sign of the popularity of the place .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday DinnerReneeDined on 6/9/2014A restaurant is about the food, ambiance and service among other things. Upon arrival, there was no Mai tre d to greet us. We stood at the door among all the other diners awkwardly for a couple of minutes until someone turned up to show us to our table. Too many table jammed into the small space to allow for any privacy from neighboring diners or their conversations. It really came across as more tables = more profit. The waiter was very nice, pleasant and professional, however they need more staff for a Saturday night. The Appertizers were very nice and enjoyable as were the desserts. I felt the selection of entrees could have had a little more extensive in variety. We chose monkfish, sorry to say overcooked rubber is what we ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening with foodie friendsPescatarianDined on 5/9/2014It was our first visit to The French Table and we were not disappointed. I don't eat meat but I eat fish and there were several fish choices for me. They also have vegetarian choices. My friends are meat eaters and all of us thoroughly enjoyed the meal. We had a lovely bottle of Muscadet (some wines are organic/biodynamic). The desserts were amazing too - we had the tasting plate so we got to try several desserts! They also have a chef's 'tasting menu' which you can have with or without their wine choices, so we may opt for that on our next visit - however I'm sure sure if it would work for us as I don't eat meat and all guests at the table have to order it? Perhaps the meat dishes could be substituted for someone like me?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday mealDale274Dined on 3/9/2014I went here with my girlfriend to treat herfor her birthday and from start to finish the waiting staff were attentive but relaxed and they made little special touchs such as the birthday candle and white chocolate writing on the dessert. This is a really great place to go for a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd time aroundK2kirbyDined on 16/8/2014Food superb as usual, spoilt by a rowdy group. I know a restaurant has no idea who is coming, so it is therefore difficult to control, but constantly plying them with more and more cocktails, so they get even worse, is another thing. Nothing was said to them. We decided to leave, we were offered another table, which was fine, but then another couple arrived and got our previous table. they were clearly not happy. Also, the taster menu has previously been beautifully served and described. This time, and I quote 'This is a lovely Italian wine'. WHAT Italian wine? They have opened another branch in Teddington, and so maybe they are spread a little thin staff wise. I will return, but try to keep the standards up please.Special Features:
- FantasticGVegDined on 15/8/2014Have been to TFT for the weekday lunch menu several times when on holiday from work, and it has been brilliant food every time. Brilliant value, lovely atmosphere, and I can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration DinnerbullyDined on 14/8/2014The French Table is where we celebrate special family occasions and it never ever fails to delight and impress. The food is always superb and creative and all the staff are well trained knowledgeable and most importantly unpretentious. There is nowhere we have found in the area in 20 years that compares .Special Features:
- Fantastic!TonybwDined on 13/8/2014Celebrated our 3rd anniversary here. Food was delicious and service was on the whole was excellent! Had a table upstairs which we thought much better than main restaurant as it was more romantic! Will return without hesitation!Special Features:
- Fabulous FrenchFrank1927Dined on 13/8/2014This is an amazing restaurant - always great food and attentive, friendly service, with an ever changing menu of beautifully presented French dishes from the French owner/chef; and at set menu prices which would be for main course only a few miles further into London.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fabulous lunch !GreedyGirlDined on 8/8/2014Lunch at The French Table is always good - great service, ambience, food and drink. Meeting up with a friend for a fabulous seasonal lunch - great value for star quality food. The bread is amazing - especially the chorizo! - and the service is attentive and friendly. Never disappoints. We had the smoked chicken terrine to start, pan fried sea bream for mains and a pineapple carpaccio for dessert - yummy! Non alcoholic cocktail of strawberry and cucumber lemonade was delicious too. Thoroughly recommended place - go!Special Features:
- A delightful eveningTrilobiteDined on 7/8/2014Initial service polite and welcoming, menu had a good range of dishes. I couldn't see a suitable wine from the by the glass option to go with the Monkfish and was offered another from the tasting menu which was not overpriced and went well with the meal. Our glasses of water were never allowed to empty and you were made to feel at home. My only negative was because the restaurant was so popular the tables were rather close together, however if these were reduced we probably would not have been able to book one for months to come. We had a better meal than at a famous over booked, over priced 2 Michelin Star pub. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Lovely food - poor tableEllesDined on 7/8/2014The food was excellent, however we had the table just by the door and with a 7pm booking on a Friday night, it meant all the arriving guests came in and stood by our table. Service was average (again - completely fully booked upstairs & down so they were stretched) & I didn't enjoy being told I 'looked a bit vacant' by the waitress. Other than that it was fine...maybe a bit overhyped.....maybe I would have enjoyed it more at a table away from the door and the direct flow of the air con which spoiled the ambience.Special Features:
- First Class FoodLittleLadySurbsDined on 6/8/2014We had a lovely evening at the French Table. The food is first class but quality not quantity certainly applies here. The service was one of the best we'd ever experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant of all timeLFG84Dined on 1/8/2014The French Table has officially won my heart. From the minute you walk through the door you are treated like VIP's. The food is to die for, I didn't want each course to end. 100% worth every penny. I can't recommend this restaurant enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencejudeDined on 1/8/2014This is my second visit and once again the food was outstanding and the service very good, professional without being over done. Its so good to find a restaurant that is still individual and not part of a chain that so many restaurants have become, where the staff don't smile and don't care and the menu is the same wherever you go. Well done to the french tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely!chetwyndVIPDined on 1/8/2014thoroughly enjoyed lunch here on friday, great food and service as usualSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning food, excellent serviceMattDined on 29/7/2014I had a sinking feeling when our initial seats where not good. A dripping air conditioner meant we had to move. The wait staff were friendly, courteous and helpful - they really went above and beyond and hit precisely the right note of professional cordiality and friendliness. The food was far above our expectations, even considering that we new it would be fair expensive. While the plates are not particularly full, they are certainly not empty and are beautifully present. None of this does anything to stop you being full after the meal as our two simple courses did not leave us needed more at all. The wine was exemplary and the taste of every bite had to be experienced to be believed. Overall, we had a thoroughly fantastic evening.Special Features:
- Simply divinenwballmaballlDined on 29/7/2014Amazing! We have loved this restaurant from the moment it opened!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeRichDined on 29/7/2014Never fails to impress. Food is as good as any Central London restaurant with the added bonus of being cheaper and on our doorstep. Love it.Special Features:
- Consistently amazing foodHershamTriumphDined on 26/7/2014Set lunch is such good value and consistently of top quality. There are very small supplements on just a few items and a good wine list to suit all pockets. Best French restaurant I have come across outside London and France.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Wonderful French TablegreedygangDined on 25/7/2014Another visit and another glorious culinary experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TFT Does it again!Live4FoodDined on 24/7/2014We had not been to the TFT for a while, as it had been term time. We were really glad that we booked. The food was really good, tasty, flavoursome and just enough. The service was excellent, as ever, and the home cooked breads (four varieties on offer) were great. I would highly recommend TFT for celebratory meals, birthdays, romantic (2nd/3rd) dates, and for high quality, good value, food and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovestheirfoodDined on 24/7/2014Attentive waiters,good ambiance, good table plan for our party of 6. The food was yummy and would not hesitate in going back for to try the other dishes. We never felt hurried as the wine found the sweet spot and were the last to leave the restaurant.Special Features:
- Anniversary mealfoxy1975Dined on 23/7/2014My husband and I chose The French Table for our 10th wedding anniversary, after a friend recommended it. We had a fabulous evening topped off by a surprise complimentary dessert as I'd mentioned it was our anniversary. The service was attentive without being too much, and the place has a lovely intimate feel - we can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- siestaSiestaDined on 22/7/2014Another delicious dinner at the French Table. It is consistently good and represents great value for money. I would rather eat here than some lauded London restaurants.Special Features:
- Fantastic French Table!TopcatsDined on 18/7/2014Yet another fantastic experience at the French Table. The atmosphere is relaxed with excellent service at all times from all staff. You are made to feel welcome and at ease. On an exceptionally hot day, the temperature inside was perfect and so glad of the air conditioning! Decor is elegant and relaxing. The food is exceptional, perfectly balanced flavours and the only difficult thing is choosing what to have. My main dish of lamb was perfectly cooked and the best lamb I have ever eaten. Wine selection is excellent with some reasonably priced bottles. Our party of four were all happy with their meals and the only disappointing thing is realising you have finished and it's time to go home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionPeterSDined on 18/7/2014Now I can understand why they get so many bookings! Having tried and failed to book a table for dinner a week beforehand, I managed to book lunch for two instead. And what a lunch it was, consisting of three beautifully-presented, well-flavoured and perfectly cooked courses, all of which I enjoyed immensely. Their three-course set menu offers excellent value at around £23 a head (not including service). My guinea fowl main was possibly the best meal I have ever had. The air conditioning was a godsend on a day when the temperature outside was over 30C, and the modern, bright interior was a joy to sit in. Good service too. This restaurant excels on all fronts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always First ClassFoodieDined on 17/7/2014We returned to the French Table after a gap of around 1 year but it did not disappoint. We had the 5 course tasting menu, just superb. Great service and ambience so all in all would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingmoonfaceDined on 17/7/2014Amazing food, prepared beautifully with imagination, quality and freshness all battling to the fore. The tasting menu is accessible to all and provides a wonderful journey into culinary delights that one only expects at venues with several stars to their name. Keep away, stars, this little gem belongs to the people of Surrey and long may it remain.Special Features:
- lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/7/2014Great value and a really nice way to celabrate a special event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.