The Gate Hammersmith
51 Queen Caroline Street
London, W6 9QLNeighbourhood:
Vegetarian / VeganPrice: £26 to £40
The Gate Hammersmith
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thegaterestaurants.com/
- Phone: 02087486932x
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days a week
Lunch 12:00 - 15:00
Dinner 17:00 - 23:00
Brunch is served on the weekends from 12:00
Bar is open all day from 12:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Adrian Daniel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Special Events: Check the website for details.
A word from The Gate Hammersmith
Adrian and Michael Daniel have been running London's most successful vegetarian restaurant since December 1989. We have received numerous citations of excellence from various bodies and been nominated for several food awards over the years, winning Timeout's 'Best Vegetarian Meal' award in 1992. We source our ingredients with care, using only the freshest produce and organic where possible including free range eggs. We always have a selection of vegan dishes or vegan options. The wine menu offers a selection of organic, vegan and vegetarian wines. We try to be aware of our carbon footprint and try reducing it by recycling our waste and buying where possible from companies that are carbon offsetting. We hope you enjoy you visit,Continued
Adrian & Michael Daniel
Adrian & Michael Daniel
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGood Vegetarian Options
The Gate Hammersmith - Best restaurants in Hammersmith ›
The Gate Hammersmith reviews from OpenTable diners
513 reviews since 20 October 2013
good vegetarian options (449)fit for foodies (275)special occasions (219)pre/post theatre (121)romance (114)sunday lunch (86)business meals (81)group bookings (68)brunch (63)outstanding value (51)outdoor eating (48)child friendly (26)afternoon tea (13)Show More
- IncredibleLadyemilieDined on 18/10/2014Beautifully presented food, simple and elegant ambience with extremely friendly waiting staff. Food was unique and incredibly tasty, would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food indifferent serviceServicemakesthemealDined on 14/10/2014The food at The Gate never lets you down. It is always and beautifully presented. Unfortunately the service on this particular evening was indifferent particularly at the beginning and end of the meal. There were enough staff on duty to manage the restaurant efficiently but it took over 10mins after being seated to be offered water or a drink with a similar delay when it came to getting the bill despite the restaurant being no more than half full.Special Features:
- Always excellent vegetarianDealBreakerDined on 13/10/2014Great tasting cooking as always at the Gate. Love the fact it's veggie done gourmet. Lots of good ideas to take home.Special Features:
- Creative VegetarianPhilupDined on 10/10/2014As a committed meat lover, I seldom visit vegetarian restaurants, but the Gate will be one venue I'll make sure I go back to again. We had a wonderfully tasty meal, chosen from a really creative menu, and served by friendly and attentive staff whose recommendations were spot on. I would happily recommend this for a great dinner out.Special Features:
- Our time limit expired!!!JonafghanDined on 10/10/2014The restaurant was busy, and understandably so as the food was amazing...BUT...we arrived around 6:15, straight from work for a leisurely Friday evening meal, which was going well until we asked for the dessert menu. We were told we had no time for a dessert and that we had to leave as they had a 2 hour limit....what? I'm coming to the end of a really nice meal, which wasn't particularly cheap, to then be told I had to leave before it was over... I don't think so. I travel A LOT for work, this was London (I live in NYC) and I have NEVER experienced this before. I appreciate if I walk in somewhere with no reservation to be told they can slot me in but I may have a time limit, but this was a pre-arranged booking for a top notch restaurant!?
- A gem!LocalLady2014Dined on 8/10/2014Didn't know this place even existed. Hidden behind the Apollo, lovely decor inside and nice ambience. Good was very flavoursome and great options for vegan and gluten free too. Excellent service and would definitely go again as well as recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingBurrsieDined on 4/10/2014I cannot praise this restaurant enough. I am not a vegetarian but you do not feel you are "missing out" in the slightest. The food is exquisite, both in presentation and taste. The staff are fantastic and the atmosphere is inviting. Love love love this place. If I lived closer I would go every week!Special Features:
- Fantastic veggie foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2014Our first try with this restaurant and we will return. The food was flavourful and fabulous - we compare it to Terre a Terre in Brighton and would say it stands well on its own. So go ahead and try it - you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Outstanding !funfunDined on 1/10/2014I went twice in one week while here on business. I am a gluten free/vegan and I was thrilled with the menu options. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice - not perfectkbehDined on 1/10/2014Adequate food and fast service. Pleasant staff. Loved the music choice (Kate Bush) The thing that let it down was the ambience. Tables very close together, felt like you were eating in a canteen. Scribbles and scratches on the walls that were not clean and no candles on the tables. I had the gnocchi that was a small potion for what it was priced at and pretty bland. Starter's were very good though.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceJahdielDined on 28/9/2014This is a must try! I'm far from your typical vegetarian or adventurous foodie but I give full Kudos to this restaurant for the ambiance, decor, service and food quality. I had a gnocchi dish which blew my taste buds away and was particularly impressed by the waiters knowledge and recommendations on wines. I will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service,JOOLSFDined on 28/9/2014It was so lovely to have such an interesting vegetarian menu and be spoilt for choice. Delicious food served by friendly, attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious pre show dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 27/9/2014I booked The Gate because of good reviews on trip advisor and the proximity to the Apollo. My boyfriend and I (both vegetarians) went with a meat eating friend. We all ordered different starters and mains and every single dish was colourful, tasty and full of flavour. The staff were very friendly and it had a warm atmosphere. This is the best vegetarian meal I've had and my meat eating friend left very satisfied as well. I would highly recommend eating here and although it was very convenient for the Apollo I would travel to eat here again even if I was not seeing a gig.Special Features:
- What a find!MareePSasjaDined on 27/9/2014Quite possibly the best vegetarian restaurant experience of my life. I have been a vegetarian since 1988, so that's saying something. The menu is wonderful and varied. What a relief to have options where dairy is not the main element. I cannot tell you how my heart sinks every time I go to a pub, cafe or restaurant and the only vegetarian options are something comprising mainly goat cheese (ugh!), yoghurt (double ugh!!) and/or creme fraiche, cream cheese etc. That's a lazy vegetarian dish. Where are the pulses? Does nobody use tofu in this country?! Happily, The Gate's menu will please everybody. Lots of vegan options. It's a beautiful, modern space. Food incredible. Service excellent. Take your non-veggie friends and watch them marvel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeWhite66Dined on 26/9/2014Had a really great experience food was amazing and staff very friendly and efficient .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb foodintolerant2mostthingsDined on 26/9/2014We are a couple who enjoy vegetarian food, but aren't vegetarians, and one of us is intolerant to LOTS of things (gluten, yeast, dairy etc.). We shared a couple of starters and both had the Thali for main course. Everything was absolutely delicious. Service a wee bit slow at one point, but that was partly because it was busy (clearly very very popular) and it was nice to have the space to chat. Neither of us live nearby, but we will both happily go again. Plus the bill was extremely reasonable considering how impressed and full we were.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sjcartDined on 23/9/2014delicious food as ever. perfect for a pre-Kate Bush concert meal, they even had her playing in the background!Special Features:
- wonderful foodgregoryDined on 22/9/2014I have been a few times in the evening to this lovely vegetarian restaurant in Hammersmith and I am never disappointed. The food is delicious and inventive,the house wine is yummy and it is not too expensive. We were served by a charming waitress who was well informed and made us feel speciall. This place is a real gem for veggies and non-veggies alike as the food is excellent. I hope it carries on for a long long time - I will soon be going back to try their lunchtime menu.Special Features:
- Nice place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/9/2014Thrill to have such a high quality vegetarian around the corner from us. I particularly appreciate the vegan and gluten free option. Wish all restaurant were like that. The food is fresh the flavours are amazing and overall very good value for money. See you soon ClaudeSpecial Features:
- Hammersmith GateveggiloverDined on 21/9/2014I always love the Gate at Hammersmith. It is wonderful for a vegetarian to have a good food restaurant with plenty of tantalising options, great for special occasions, a bit pricey for every day. My meat eating friends love it too. Lovely hidden location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScottInBerlinDined on 20/9/2014Great food and equally fantastic service. We ate here prior to the Kate Bush concert and were very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentCommittedgatefanDined on 19/9/2014Beautiful food, well presented and excellent service. You can't ask for more.Special Features:
- Very good food and serviceJulieTorontoDined on 19/9/2014Had a lovely meal here prior to the Kate Bush concert. Both the starter (beet ravioli) and the main (potato rotolo) were extremely good. Excellent service made it a wonderful start to an amazing evening.Special Features:
- Really great!samanthaolivia23Dined on 17/9/2014The food was excellent. I had the japanese rolls and sweet potato fries and the other two I was dining with had butternut squash soup - both said it was delicious! The atmosphere was wonderful and the service spot on as well. We couldn't resist the desserts either and between us had a chocolate and lavender tart (absolutely delicious with just a subtle hint of the lavender flavour), a summer pudding (also absolutely delicious) and the pineapple, pear and chilli crumble which was really good though hard to avoid those chilli pieces if you're not a big chilli fan! I have many food intolerances and they dealt to that with ease. I'll certainly be going back to The GateSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 16/9/2014We booked this restaurant to eat before Kate Bush gig and it was a great choice as it is almost next door to the Apollo and I think everyone else there was going to the show too and piped music was all Kate so there was a real party atmosphere. Staff super friendly and laid back which was lovely and also made us feel special on such a great night. Decor really good and the dining room has a lovely feel to it. The only reason I have given 3 stars for value is because I would have like larger portions - I wasn't really full after eating main course and dessert. But the quality of the food was wonderful and if I'd had a starter as well that problem would have been solved! Good wine list too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good vegetarian restaurantelisaDined on 15/9/2014Good food and ambience, and the service was excellent!Special Features:
- HoolahoopDined on 15/9/2014I used to go to the Gate many years ago when I worked around the corner and it was very different in ambience, more like a place you'd find on your travels in Thailand or wherever, quirky, crowded, cute. The make over is clearly "a good thing" but somehow I missed its old character on my first visit back. The food is consistently good, but from this visit I would not class it great as some other reviewers have. I have been a vegetarian for nearly 30 years so for me its perfectly normal to cook in this way at home - the days of boring vegetarian food are long gone. However I will go back to see if food will Wow me. Service is attentive with some staff getting it right and others less so. Value is about right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No need go meatGraviaVIPDined on 15/9/2014Found this restaurant close to work. Menu is very different with a wide range if vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options. Varied range and many dishes I had never tried before. I'm not a vegetarian but I will go back to the Gate again. Brilliant for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for us all!LizzieDined on 14/9/2014With 3 vegans, 1 veggie, 4 meat eaters, it isn't always easy to find a restaurant that we all like. This restaurant is brilliant. Superb food, beautifully presented.Special Features:
- Iv64VIPDined on 13/9/2014I only booked this because it was close to the Hammersmith Eventim but what a discovery! Best veggie food ever (my husband's a carnivore and he loved it too!). Will definitely go back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014Visited The Gate on Saturday with two other vegetarian friends. Excellent range of choices and delicious courses. Have been to many vegetarian restaurants which don't deliver on their promise but this one far exceeded it. All three of us loved our food. Service was excellent. Would highly recommend to all.Special Features:
- Delicious food, exceptional serviceartflirtDined on 12/9/2014I've eaten at this restaurant a few times over the years, they have had a sympathetic but noticable refurbishment since my last trip, and it was quite noisy on arrival but this soon faded (as the diners left, probably to attend the nearby Kate Bush concert!) however, the food & service never fails to impress and my girlfriend and I - long overdue a catchup - enjoyed delicious dishes accompanied with well-matched wines, reasonably priced, and served by kind, positive staff who seem to really care that you enjoy your experience. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Needed more time!MildmayDined on 12/9/2014The Gate is a wonderful venue for a nice, relaxed special occasion dinner - unfortunately we were in a rush on our way to see Kate Bush and only had time for a mezze starter which was very tasty and creative but tiny and a tad pricey for £19 we thought. Having said that, love The Gate in Hammersmith in general and would always come back, but with more time!Special Features:
- Great Pre-concert VenueRamblingMumDined on 9/9/2014Great venue for pre-concert meal. The menu contained four choices for each course to ensure that everyone was served in time. Spicy and unusual. Attentive and non-intrusive service. Great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hammersmith oasisOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014The Gate was always a lovely place to be, but it's even better after the rebuild: a lovely room to eat in. Food is as good as ever - the best vegetarian in town - with creativity, delicacy and that marvelous spicy 'punch' when you want it. Love it.Special Features:
- ExcellantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014When looking on the web I was a bit usure of the limited menu, I am so glad I chose to go anyway , once there the menu had more options and the food was fantastic. STRONGLY, STRONGLY RECOMMENDSpecial Features:
- The GateIndianDined on 5/9/2014I wasn't sure what to expect, as I am not a vegetarian and I took my visiting vegetarian friend to this restaurant and we were impressed with the flavours! Definitely will be going back more often.Special Features:
- ALWAYS OUTSTANDING!JoeyGDined on 5/9/2014Just when we thought it couldn't get any better...We've been going to The Gate for over 20 years and I've never had a forkful of anything that wasn't utterly delicious. This is modern fusion food at its best. Courgette flowers, Halloumi kibi and the wonderful Thali were our favourites this week. We've taken every kind of guest along to The Gate over the years from committed vegans to die-hard carnivores and the comments are always positive. We had 60 people here when we got married 17 years ago and many of those guests still remember what they ate. The Gate has recently had a gorgeous make over and along with the fabulous food, Michael and Adrian seem to somehow find the most lovely and friendly staff. Five stars every time from us.Special Features:
- Veggie heaven for a meat loverSlimJimDined on 5/9/2014I have traditionally been skeptical about vegetarian food and felt that a dish is not complete unless there is some flesh on the plate. However, the Gate defied all my expectations with flavour filled and beautifully constructed dishes. I could not recommend highly enough.Special Features:
- I wanna come back!CrimsonCrowDined on 4/9/2014I loved the general feel of this place; it had a touch of class without being snooty, yet it was very relaxed and comfortable. I'm from the US so no telling if I'll ever get back but I sure wish I could sample everything on a hard-to-choose-from-everything-sounds-and-looks-so-good menu. Service was well-timed and very friendly. And we learned that, unlike in the US, in the UK your server won't bring you your check, it's a sign of rudeness there. You must ask for it when ready to leave.Special Features: