The Gate Hammersmith
51 Queen Caroline Street
London, W6 9QLNeighbourhood:
Vegetarian / VeganPrice: £26 to £40
The Gate Hammersmith
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thegaterestaurants.com/
- Phone: 02087486932x
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days a week
Lunch 12:00 - 15:00
Dinner 17:00 - 23:00
Brunch is served on the weekends from 12:00
Bar is open all day from 12:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Adrian Daniel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Special Events: Check the website for details.
A word from The Gate Hammersmith
Adrian and Michael Daniel have been running London's most successful vegetarian restaurant since December 1989. We have received numerous citations of excellence from various bodies and been nominated for several food awards over the years, winning Timeout's 'Best Vegetarian Meal' award in 1992. We source our ingredients with care, using only the freshest produce and organic where possible including free range eggs. We always have a selection of vegan dishes or vegan options. The wine menu offers a selection of organic, vegan and vegetarian wines. We try to be aware of our carbon footprint and try reducing it by recycling our waste and buying where possible from companies that are carbon offsetting. We hope you enjoy you visit,Continued
Adrian & Michael Daniel
Adrian & Michael Daniel
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGood Vegetarian Options
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
The Gate Hammersmith - Best restaurants in Hammersmith ›
The Gate Hammersmith reviews from OpenTable diners
506 reviews since 26 May 2014
good vegetarian options (435)fit for foodies (267)special occasions (213)romance (112)pre/post theatre (110)business meals (78)sunday lunch (77)group bookings (61)brunch (56)outstanding value (48)outdoor eating (43)child friendly (25)afternoon tea (11)Show More
- Nice place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/9/2014Thrill to have such a high quality vegetarian around the corner from us. I particularly appreciate the vegan and gluten free option. Wish all restaurant were like that. The food is fresh the flavours are amazing and overall very good value for money. See you soon ClaudeSpecial Features:
- Hammersmith GateveggiloverDined on 21/9/2014I always love the Gate at Hammersmith. It is wonderful for a vegetarian to have a good food restaurant with plenty of tantalising options, great for special occasions, a bit pricey for every day. My meat eating friends love it too. Lovely hidden location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScottInBerlinDined on 20/9/2014Great food and equally fantastic service. We ate here prior to the Kate Bush concert and were very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentCommittedgatefanDined on 19/9/2014Beautiful food, well presented and excellent service. You can't ask for more.Special Features:
- Really great!samanthaolivia23Dined on 17/9/2014The food was excellent. I had the japanese rolls and sweet potato fries and the other two I was dining with had butternut squash soup - both said it was delicious! The atmosphere was wonderful and the service spot on as well. We couldn't resist the desserts either and between us had a chocolate and lavender tart (absolutely delicious with just a subtle hint of the lavender flavour), a summer pudding (also absolutely delicious) and the pineapple, pear and chilli crumble which was really good though hard to avoid those chilli pieces if you're not a big chilli fan! I have many food intolerances and they dealt to that with ease. I'll certainly be going back to The GateSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 16/9/2014We booked this restaurant to eat before Kate Bush gig and it was a great choice as it is almost next door to the Apollo and I think everyone else there was going to the show too and piped music was all Kate so there was a real party atmosphere. Staff super friendly and laid back which was lovely and also made us feel special on such a great night. Decor really good and the dining room has a lovely feel to it. The only reason I have given 3 stars for value is because I would have like larger portions - I wasn't really full after eating main course and dessert. But the quality of the food was wonderful and if I'd had a starter as well that problem would have been solved! Good wine list too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good vegetarian restaurantelisaDined on 15/9/2014Good food and ambience, and the service was excellent!Special Features:
- HoolahoopDined on 15/9/2014I used to go to the Gate many years ago when I worked around the corner and it was very different in ambience, more like a place you'd find on your travels in Thailand or wherever, quirky, crowded, cute. The make over is clearly "a good thing" but somehow I missed its old character on my first visit back. The food is consistently good, but from this visit I would not class it great as some other reviewers have. I have been a vegetarian for nearly 30 years so for me its perfectly normal to cook in this way at home - the days of boring vegetarian food are long gone. However I will go back to see if food will Wow me. Service is attentive with some staff getting it right and others less so. Value is about right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No need go meatGraviaDined on 15/9/2014Found this restaurant close to work. Menu is very different with a wide range if vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options. Varied range and many dishes I had never tried before. I'm not a vegetarian but I will go back to the Gate again. Brilliant for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for us all!LizzieDined on 14/9/2014With 3 vegans, 1 veggie, 4 meat eaters, it isn't always easy to find a restaurant that we all like. This restaurant is brilliant. Superb food, beautifully presented.Special Features:
- Iv64VIPDined on 13/9/2014I only booked this because it was close to the Hammersmith Eventim but what a discovery! Best veggie food ever (my husband's a carnivore and he loved it too!). Will definitely go back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 13/9/2014Visited The Gate on Saturday with two other vegetarian friends. Excellent range of choices and delicious courses. Have been to many vegetarian restaurants which don't deliver on their promise but this one far exceeded it. All three of us loved our food. Service was excellent. Would highly recommend to all.Special Features:
- Delicious food, exceptional serviceartflirtDined on 12/9/2014I've eaten at this restaurant a few times over the years, they have had a sympathetic but noticable refurbishment since my last trip, and it was quite noisy on arrival but this soon faded (as the diners left, probably to attend the nearby Kate Bush concert!) however, the food & service never fails to impress and my girlfriend and I - long overdue a catchup - enjoyed delicious dishes accompanied with well-matched wines, reasonably priced, and served by kind, positive staff who seem to really care that you enjoy your experience. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Needed more time!MildmayDined on 12/9/2014The Gate is a wonderful venue for a nice, relaxed special occasion dinner - unfortunately we were in a rush on our way to see Kate Bush and only had time for a mezze starter which was very tasty and creative but tiny and a tad pricey for £19 we thought. Having said that, love The Gate in Hammersmith in general and would always come back, but with more time!Special Features:
- Great Pre-concert VenueRamblingMumDined on 9/9/2014Great venue for pre-concert meal. The menu contained four choices for each course to ensure that everyone was served in time. Spicy and unusual. Attentive and non-intrusive service. Great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hammersmith oasisOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014The Gate was always a lovely place to be, but it's even better after the rebuild: a lovely room to eat in. Food is as good as ever - the best vegetarian in town - with creativity, delicacy and that marvelous spicy 'punch' when you want it. Love it.Special Features:
- ExcellantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014When looking on the web I was a bit usure of the limited menu, I am so glad I chose to go anyway , once there the menu had more options and the food was fantastic. STRONGLY, STRONGLY RECOMMENDSpecial Features:
- The GateIndianDined on 5/9/2014I wasn't sure what to expect, as I am not a vegetarian and I took my visiting vegetarian friend to this restaurant and we were impressed with the flavours! Definitely will be going back more often.Special Features:
- ALWAYS OUTSTANDING!JoeyGDined on 5/9/2014Just when we thought it couldn't get any better...We've been going to The Gate for over 20 years and I've never had a forkful of anything that wasn't utterly delicious. This is modern fusion food at its best. Courgette flowers, Halloumi kibi and the wonderful Thali were our favourites this week. We've taken every kind of guest along to The Gate over the years from committed vegans to die-hard carnivores and the comments are always positive. We had 60 people here when we got married 17 years ago and many of those guests still remember what they ate. The Gate has recently had a gorgeous make over and along with the fabulous food, Michael and Adrian seem to somehow find the most lovely and friendly staff. Five stars every time from us.Special Features:
- Veggie heaven for a meat loverSlimJimDined on 5/9/2014I have traditionally been skeptical about vegetarian food and felt that a dish is not complete unless there is some flesh on the plate. However, the Gate defied all my expectations with flavour filled and beautifully constructed dishes. I could not recommend highly enough.Special Features:
- Veggie HeavenVinesyDined on 3/9/2014Everything tastes so flavoursome! Instead of the odd bland veggie dish I am used to in other restaurants - I am spoilt for choice. We went for lunch for a birthday. We were 15 minutes late - no matter, we were treated with utmost respect and kindness. The waiter was attentive and friendly without being pushy or overpowering. The food was lovely, delicious and presented finely. The place easy to find. Definately go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, wow...unbelievable !TheOysterTwinsDined on 3/9/2014Went to Hammersmith Odeon to see Kate Bush and was recommended Gate Restaurant by a friend. Had thought about going to River Cafe but a stroll along the river made us feel this was the place to try. Gorgeous food, lovely presentation, good wine selection, friendly staff: you must try The Gate, if you're in the area :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality FoodVerminetteDined on 2/9/2014We were going to the Kate Bush concert and didn't have enough time for dessert, which was tragic! Our meal was of the highest quality, if a little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousPoppieDined on 30/8/2014Delicious dinner with friend on a busy Saturday night, although did not love the table right in the middle of the room! They had run out of the House red, which is always good value but the food as always was inventive, delicious and beautifully presented. Have been going for a number of years and will continue.Special Features:
- A great start to our eveningsiamesearebestDined on 30/8/2014We came to see Kate Bush last weekend and chose The Gate because it was near, and we all like vegetarian food. We weren't disappointed - the service was friendly and efficient, the food arrived on time (we even had time for a dessert and coffee!) and the bill was reasonable. We would definitely eat here again if we were in the area.Special Features:
- still delicious and inventiveSparkzDined on 29/8/2014Wonderful food, delicious and great, inspiring choice for vegetariansSpecial Features:
- nouvelle vege diningele26Dined on 28/8/2014lovely considered food but not enough! I went home and had cheese on toast!
- InterestingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 28/8/2014Interesting ingredients, delicious food however the mains were not that filling, Aubergine and butternut dishes recommended. Good desserts.Special Features:
- creative mealsfullupDined on 27/8/2014well presented interesting selection on menu. restaurant was fairly noisy and hot.Special Features:
- Tasty Veggie Food- for everyone!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 26/8/2014I took my three omnivorous friends to The Gate pre-Kate Bush on Tuesday. I had visited several years ago and being back in London and Hammersmith especially was the perfect excuse to eat there agin. The menu offers some really delicious and tempting vegan and veggie dishes which are influenced from around the world and cooked fresh and are presented very well. We only had time for a main and I have to say that they were a little slow coming out. From the time we arrived we waited 40 minutes for food having been ready to order in the first five minutes as soon as the restaurant opened at 6pm. Typically this wouldn't have been a problem but we were short of time. Had the food been a bit quicker coming out we would have eaten dessert too.Special Features:
- FIRST CLASS - EVERYTHING DELICIOUStheteadragonDined on 25/8/2014We had lunch at the Gate on a rainy bank holiday afternoon. The restaurant is bright, clean and modern. The service was without fault, (good advice regarding the wine). The food was outstanding: days later and we are still talking about it! Will definitely eat in this restaurant again, would totally go out of our way to do so. Can't praise it more highly.Special Features:
- Noisy & spicyIRofRVIPDined on 24/8/2014This vegetarian restaurant has been completely transformed since my last visit some time ago and is now very smart. In the meanwhile I have been to the sister establishment in Islington, which I thought rather better than this. Here we went for Sunday brunch, along with the assembled multitudes. The resulting cacophony made conversation difficult. There was a limited menu on offer, much of it apparently bearing a Mexican influence, so that hot spice prevailed. Even the dessert of pineapple crumble boasted a few flakes of chilli. The combination of noise and spice means that I shall not revisit, and would not recommend to anybody whose preference is not for both. Having said that, the food is well-cooked and presented, and the service great.Special Features:
- An excellent meal & serviceUksherkaDined on 22/8/2014Best meal out I've had in ages. Looking forward to trying the Islington branch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy VegetarianhappyeaterDined on 22/8/2014A vegetarian restaurant where carnivores don't feel themselves hard done bySpecial Features:
- Good vegetarian foodJujiDined on 18/8/2014- Lovely starters & mains. - Despite phoning ahead and reconfirming with the staff in person that we're here celebrating a friend's birthday and can they add a candle or write happy birthday on the dessert to which they agreed they could do. When the desserts came out, nothing! They had forgotten to do this! - House white wine was poor. - Ambiance was bright & spacey, wonderful for business meetings and the like - We could have enjoyed our experience better for the occasion we were celebrating if attention to detail was applied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best vegetarian food in the UKWMclDined on 17/8/2014And some pretty amazing vegan options too. Have been visiting this restaurant for decades and always regard a meal there as a treat. Beautiful food served by lovely people in a gorgeous setting. Shame I live in Edinburgh now, 'cause I'd be there at least once a week if I was still in London!Special Features:
- Veggie-tasticLovefoodDined on 15/8/2014The food was so lovely and fresh, my guest and I loved it. The young lady that served us was great for recommendations and went through portion sizes. I would definitely have the mezze starter to share and the courgette flower!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodSandyDined on 15/8/2014A nice treat. Expensive but enjoyable. Great service till it got busy, then the one waiter became totally over worked and we waited a long time for our bill making us anxious for our next appointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DivineYumyumDined on 10/8/2014Up to their usual fabulous snuff! Every ingredient is discernable and each bite an experience you want to savour for hours. So glad it's so close to home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodRLonRDined on 9/8/2014Different eating experience, but nicely independent, with no nonsense tasty food. As a non vegetarian, I was more than happy within my dinning experience. My only criticism, is there any need for the background music? It was thankfully turned off later in the evening, but there is a happy buzz of chat and diners enjoying their food, that's all the background noise you need. Gate is a terrific place. Will return.