The Gate Hammersmith
51 Queen Caroline Street
London, W6 9QLNeighbourhood:
Vegetarian / VeganPrice: £26 to £40
The Gate Hammersmith
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thegaterestaurants.com/
- Phone: 020 8748 6932
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days a week
Lunch 12:00 - 15:00
Dinner 17:00 - 23:00
Brunch is served on the weekends from 12:00
Bar is open all day from 12:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Adrian Daniel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Special Events: Check the website for details.
A word from The Gate Hammersmith
Adrian and Michael Daniel have been running London's most successful vegetarian restaurant since December 1989. We have received numerous citations of excellence from various bodies and been nominated for several food awards over the years, winning Timeout's 'Best Vegetarian Meal' award in 1992. We source our ingredients with care, using only the freshest produce and organic where possible including free range eggs. We always have a selection of vegan dishes or vegan options. The wine menu offers a selection of organic, vegan and vegetarian wines. We try to be aware of our carbon footprint and try reducing it by recycling our waste and buying where possible from companies that are carbon offsetting. We hope you enjoy you visit,Continued
Adrian & Michael Daniel
Adrian & Michael Daniel
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGood Vegetarian Options
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
The Gate Hammersmith - Best restaurants in Hammersmith ›
The Gate Hammersmith reviews from OpenTable diners
501 reviews since 21 November 2013
good vegetarian options (438)fit for foodies (271)special occasions (216)pre/post theatre (117)romance (113)business meals (82)sunday lunch (80)group bookings (64)brunch (61)outstanding value (52)outdoor eating (48)child friendly (26)afternoon tea (13)Show More
- Great for a change of scenePriteshDined on 18/11/2014Great for a change of scene, delicious food, lovely venue, service was a bit slow and wine was not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carnivore enjoys veggie restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 18/11/2014As a fully fledged carnivore, I can say I thoroughly enjoyed my meal at 'The Gate' I tried a number of different things and left most satisfied. My wife who is a vegetarian, was pleased to not have to look for a v next to menu items. We will return...amazing! 😊Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely find!RaRoDined on 18/11/2014I have walked past this restaurant for over a year meaning to try it, and finally did. What a treat and a listen oasis in Hammersmith. The staff were so helpful and friendly giving us great guidance on the food. Our meals was lovely and it just goes to show why you can do with vegetarian food - many other restaurants could learn from The Gate on how to serve really tasty and unusual dishes. I look forward to my next meal there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very very slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 18/11/2014We arrived at 6:15 and needed to leave at 7:50 for an event. When we arrived they said they needed the table back at 8 pm - which was fine. The starter came at 7pm and the main course at 7:40 - leaving us 10 minutes to eat and pay. The food was great but I would have liked to be able to enjoy it.Special Features:
- Perfect for vegetariansCloboDined on 18/11/2014We went here for a pre-show meal. Arrived at 6pm and promptly given menus and orders taken. My partner and I struggled to choose. Being used to only one or two vegetarian options, neither of which I usually want to eat, I was happy to be able to select from a list of tasty-sounding meals. We had the plantain fritters to start which came with a warm, zingy dressing. Then I had the mushroom dish, which was fantastic - a mushroom-lovers heaven. A side of roasted carrots and parsnips went well with it. My partner had the butternut squash ritolo. Another perfect dish, great balance of creamy and sharp flavours. The hazelnut semi-fredo was the dish of the day. We'd come back for that alone! Service spot on all evening and a lovely Viognier to accompany it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JH1215Dined on 13/11/2014I chose the Gate as a Birthday treat for my boyfriend who is a vegetarian and we were both impressed with the food, service and ambience. It made such a change for him to have a choice of starters and main courses and the menu proved to be very inventive. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and am looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:
- MichelleDined on 13/11/2014Hidden away gem in Hammersmith. I have already booked to go back! Vegetarian food that would convert me!Special Features:
- superb foodmeheDined on 11/11/2014very interesting vegetarian food with vegan options. There was 5 of us and we all felt full and contented. Waiter extremely knowledgeable and able to discuss each dish, he is also charmingly cheeky. We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that impressiveNathalieDined on 8/11/2014The odour of the toilets on arrival was off putting. When we arrived my friend and I askef if we could sit at a table of 4 by the windows as the restaurant was virtually empty. Our waiter retorted that he didn't like seating small parties at these tables as people are normally messy when they eat at these tables and he was fed up cleaning the aftermath. He said he would give I one of those tables "as a favour! ". Had I really heard what he said? That already put our backs up. The food was ok but not great and severely overpriced. The manager was also quite rude in the way he asked us to vacate our table as they were closing the lunch time seating. Would definitely not recommend.
- Totally lived up to the hypeEpicuriousDined on 7/11/2014My fiancés brother is a vegan cook, he has been trying to get a table at The Gate every time he visits London, but always seems to leave it too late. He told us it is right at the top of his list of 'must try' places. Strangely enough we managed to get a table right at the last minute last week (think he'll be jealous). The ambiance of the place was great, nice music, and plenty of buzz, but not noisy. We had the platter to start, which included things like roasted pepper cannelloni filled with rainbow chard, spinach and ricotta served on a creamy leak fondue. For mains we went for Wild mushroom and celeriac rosti and Chipotle corn cake. Dessert was Lime and lemongrass posset and Pineapple, pear and chilli crumble. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exciting and creative menuLizyDined on 7/11/2014An outstanding experience for those who like beautiful flavour combinations and great attention to detail - and vegetarian too!Special Features:
- thoughtful vegitarian cookingPaulBDined on 7/11/2014I hadn't, sadly, been to the Gate for a couple of years and wanted to take a friend out for lunch. They've worked on the interior since my last visit and it's a good upgrade whilst keeping all of the essential ambience of its former self. The room was once the studio of a noted artist - Sir Frank Brangwyn - and typically it has the large north-facing windows essential to a good studio. The food was flawless and everything we chose was exceptionally good. It's an old cliché that "You don't miss the meat" and as a non-vegetarian myself, that's certainly true. The dishes are very well thought out with wonderful flavours. I certainly won't wait that long to go back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday MealBusterIvyDined on 3/11/2014We went to the Gate for a Birthday meal, and the food was very good, offering a wide selection to choose from. The staff were very friendly, and the service was great. I Would recommend it to anyone, vegetarian or not, as the food was so good.Special Features:
- Delicious gourmet cuisinefoodie4lifeDined on 30/10/2014Having heard about The Gate for many years we went before attending a concert at the Hammersmith Apollo on 30th October. The food exceeded expectations. The service was patchy. We warned them in writing that our stay was limited to make our 8pm show. We waited nearly 20 minutes at our table before our order was taken. Our waitress did not understand what we meant by an oaky wine and brought us Sauvignon Blanc to try. Finally another server came to take our order. He was knowledgable and steered us to starters that were raw so as to comply with our time frame. For food this special every factor of the experience should be considered by this establishment. We will go back when we have time to linger. Absolutely beautiful inspired cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerRMeatDined on 29/10/2014The food here was fantastic. Very creative and in a very interesting location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchNotQuiteAFoodieDined on 29/10/2014We enjoyed the food, the flavours are good. The lemon dessert was a much too rich and sweet for me but it did say it was made with cream so maybe I ordered the wrong one for me. I thought it perhaps would be a bit more tart. We both had a main course, a sweet, and a juice which came to about £50 - I did think this was too expensive.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceAngel85Dined on 28/10/2014Great choice on menu, enjoyed the variety of flavours. Excellent value with the Groupon offer. Think its quite pricy otherwise. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Great RestauranttakatakatimDined on 27/10/2014Love this place, been here a handful of times and its always wonderful. My meat eating friends love it and with the groupon voucher its amazing value! Keep it up the Gate!Special Features:
- Excellent!AnonDined on 25/10/2014I was recommended this restaurant by a vegan and I will be recommending it to my meat eater friends! Fabulous food! So tasty! Excellent service! Staff were so friendly and attentive. I will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food great and service outstandingrose5Dined on 25/10/2014The food was very good. Not cheap and the positions are quite small but surprisingly filling. Very different ideas for vegetarian food. the restaurant is quite small and we struggled a little to get in and out of the table as we had a few bags with us. Service very good. Great for a special occasionSpecial Features:
- Consistently GoodMinnsieDined on 24/10/2014The food at the Gate is always fantastic. I rave about this restaurant to everyone! We're not vegetarians, but we'd choose the food at The Gate every time.. The service is always good, the staff are charming and efficient. What more could you ask for? Top Marks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleLadyemilieDined on 18/10/2014Beautifully presented food, simple and elegant ambience with extremely friendly waiting staff. Food was unique and incredibly tasty, would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treatHappytoreviewDined on 16/10/2014I chose this restaurant as it's just round the corner from the Hammersmith Apollo and we were going to a show there. One of us doesn't eat meat and it made a pleasant change for her to have an entire menu to choose from. I'm happy to eat vegetarian and was very impressed with the choices available. The food was of excellent quality. My starter was delicious (leek and stilton tart) and for my main I had the largest and most filling salad I've ever been served. It was a delight to have that satisfyingly full feeling after eating so healthily, win/win situation. The bill two came to £52 (2 courses + 2 fruit juices) which was good value for the meal we enjoyed. I'd definitely recommend this restaurant to veggies and carnivores alike.Special Features:
- Great food indifferent serviceServicemakesthemealDined on 14/10/2014The food at The Gate never lets you down. It is always and beautifully presented. Unfortunately the service on this particular evening was indifferent particularly at the beginning and end of the meal. There were enough staff on duty to manage the restaurant efficiently but it took over 10mins after being seated to be offered water or a drink with a similar delay when it came to getting the bill despite the restaurant being no more than half full.Special Features:
- Always excellent vegetarianDealBreakerDined on 13/10/2014Great tasting cooking as always at the Gate. Love the fact it's veggie done gourmet. Lots of good ideas to take home.Special Features:
- Creative VegetarianPhilupDined on 10/10/2014As a committed meat lover, I seldom visit vegetarian restaurants, but the Gate will be one venue I'll make sure I go back to again. We had a wonderfully tasty meal, chosen from a really creative menu, and served by friendly and attentive staff whose recommendations were spot on. I would happily recommend this for a great dinner out.Special Features:
- Our time limit expired!!!JonafghanDined on 10/10/2014The restaurant was busy, and understandably so as the food was amazing...BUT...we arrived around 6:15, straight from work for a leisurely Friday evening meal, which was going well until we asked for the dessert menu. We were told we had no time for a dessert and that we had to leave as they had a 2 hour limit....what? I'm coming to the end of a really nice meal, which wasn't particularly cheap, to then be told I had to leave before it was over... I don't think so. I travel A LOT for work, this was London (I live in NYC) and I have NEVER experienced this before. I appreciate if I walk in somewhere with no reservation to be told they can slot me in but I may have a time limit, but this was a pre-arranged booking for a top notch restaurant!?
- A gem!LocalLady2014Dined on 8/10/2014Didn't know this place even existed. Hidden behind the Apollo, lovely decor inside and nice ambience. Good was very flavoursome and great options for vegan and gluten free too. Excellent service and would definitely go again as well as recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingBurrsieDined on 4/10/2014I cannot praise this restaurant enough. I am not a vegetarian but you do not feel you are "missing out" in the slightest. The food is exquisite, both in presentation and taste. The staff are fantastic and the atmosphere is inviting. Love love love this place. If I lived closer I would go every week!Special Features:
- Fantastic veggie foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2014Our first try with this restaurant and we will return. The food was flavourful and fabulous - we compare it to Terre a Terre in Brighton and would say it stands well on its own. So go ahead and try it - you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Outstanding !funfunDined on 1/10/2014I went twice in one week while here on business. I am a gluten free/vegan and I was thrilled with the menu options. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice - not perfectkbehDined on 1/10/2014Adequate food and fast service. Pleasant staff. Loved the music choice (Kate Bush) The thing that let it down was the ambience. Tables very close together, felt like you were eating in a canteen. Scribbles and scratches on the walls that were not clean and no candles on the tables. I had the gnocchi that was a small potion for what it was priced at and pretty bland. Starter's were very good though.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceJahdielDined on 28/9/2014This is a must try! I'm far from your typical vegetarian or adventurous foodie but I give full Kudos to this restaurant for the ambiance, decor, service and food quality. I had a gnocchi dish which blew my taste buds away and was particularly impressed by the waiters knowledge and recommendations on wines. I will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service,JOOLSFDined on 28/9/2014It was so lovely to have such an interesting vegetarian menu and be spoilt for choice. Delicious food served by friendly, attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwayslizaDined on 27/9/2014The Gate consistently serves incredible vegetarian food. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious pre show dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 27/9/2014I booked The Gate because of good reviews on trip advisor and the proximity to the Apollo. My boyfriend and I (both vegetarians) went with a meat eating friend. We all ordered different starters and mains and every single dish was colourful, tasty and full of flavour. The staff were very friendly and it had a warm atmosphere. This is the best vegetarian meal I've had and my meat eating friend left very satisfied as well. I would highly recommend eating here and although it was very convenient for the Apollo I would travel to eat here again even if I was not seeing a gig.Special Features:
- What a find!MareePSasjaDined on 27/9/2014Quite possibly the best vegetarian restaurant experience of my life. I have been a vegetarian since 1988, so that's saying something. The menu is wonderful and varied. What a relief to have options where dairy is not the main element. I cannot tell you how my heart sinks every time I go to a pub, cafe or restaurant and the only vegetarian options are something comprising mainly goat cheese (ugh!), yoghurt (double ugh!!) and/or creme fraiche, cream cheese etc. That's a lazy vegetarian dish. Where are the pulses? Does nobody use tofu in this country?! Happily, The Gate's menu will please everybody. Lots of vegan options. It's a beautiful, modern space. Food incredible. Service excellent. Take your non-veggie friends and watch them marvel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeWhite66Dined on 26/9/2014Had a really great experience food was amazing and staff very friendly and efficient .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb foodintolerant2mostthingsDined on 26/9/2014We are a couple who enjoy vegetarian food, but aren't vegetarians, and one of us is intolerant to LOTS of things (gluten, yeast, dairy etc.). We shared a couple of starters and both had the Thali for main course. Everything was absolutely delicious. Service a wee bit slow at one point, but that was partly because it was busy (clearly very very popular) and it was nice to have the space to chat. Neither of us live nearby, but we will both happily go again. Plus the bill was extremely reasonable considering how impressed and full we were.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sjcartDined on 23/9/2014delicious food as ever. perfect for a pre-Kate Bush concert meal, they even had her playing in the background!Special Features: