The George Hotel Oak Panelled Restaurant
The George Hotel of Stamford
71 St Martins
Stamford, PE9 2LBNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
The George Hotel Oak Panelled Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.georgehotelofstamford.com/index.php/food-and-drink/oak-panelled-restaurant
- Phone: 01780750750
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily: 12:00pm to 2:30pm, 7:30pm to 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Dress Code: Jacket And Tie Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The George Hotel Oak Panelled Restaurant
A magnificent oak-panelled space is the fine dining setting at The George Hotel of Stamford, one of England's greatest coaching inns. A mix of regular locals and hotel guests can always be found relaxing at bare oak tables beneath an eye-catching hand-painted ceiling. In summer, or on mild nights, they like to sit outside under the heated canopy in the ivy-clad courtyard. Open for grand lunches and dinner, the George Hotel Restaurant serves traditional yet imaginative English dishes, specialising in seafood. Lighter daytime dishes such as Dover sole are superseded at night with heartier meals such as rack of lamb with a herb crust and redcurrant jelly, and roast English beef carved at the table on a silver trolley. Accompanied by traditional trimmings, of course.Continued
A jacket and tie is required for gentlemen when dining in the Oak Panelled Restaurant, jeans and sportswear are not permitted.
A jacket and tie is required for gentlemen when dining in the Oak Panelled Restaurant, jeans and sportswear are not permitted.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The George Hotel Oak Panelled Restaurant - Best restaurants in Stamford ›
The George Hotel Oak Panelled Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since 24 May 2014
special occasions (29)sunday lunch (17)business meals (14)fit for foodies (12)romance (12)outdoor eating (9)afternoon tea (9)brunch (7)disabled access (4)group bookings (2)child friendly (2)outstanding value (1)good vegetarian options (1)Show More
- 50th Birthday Lunch - Wow!!!!!MoorishDined on 10/9/2014On arrival was warmly greeted at The George, Stamford. Arrived early enough to enjoy pre - drinks in one of the bars which gave us time to peruse the menu at our leisure. Good selection of options available from the lunch time menu in the panelled restaurant. Waiters/waitresses all very attentive to our very need - even had a visit from the owner who enquired as to our satisfaction and entered into some light-hearted banter. our party was across the age range from 21 to 86 all of whom were 'well impressed' with the premises as a whole and the restaurant and staff in particular. Will definitely be back!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- burghleyiteDined on 4/9/2014We have dined at the George many times over the past 30 years. However this year was exceptional, the staff were great and worked as a team, helping to create a smashing atmosphere for diners. The result, a great meal, a wonderful evening, well done everyone.Special Features:
- Good atmosphere and settingbirdfair2014Dined on 16/8/2014Hi, The George Hotel has a wonderful setting, nice gardens and courtyard and a reasonable menu selection of good quality food based on a British food theme. We were in the oak panelled room, which was busy but tables were well spaced. A birthday celebration at the long table was on going, so this did increase the normal noise level one would expect but it was still pleasant. The food was very good, filling and it would be a struggle to manage 3 courses. We were satisfied with the main. Only criticism we could have was it took a bit longer than expected to be served. However, it was busy and we were not in a rush. Overall, I would recommend the George highly as a place for a special lunch or dinner, if you are in the area.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 25/7/2014We had a wonderful meal at the George Hotel. Service was attentive, food was delicious and reasonably priced considering the quality.Special Features:
- Fine dining, service and a smile!RogerOverDined on 11/7/2014We were met at reception with a very warm greeting and from then on it set the tone for the excellent attentive and friendly service we had all evening. Taken through to the bar for pre drinks. Provided with delicious pre starter canapés and olives. When we were ready we were shown through to the Oak panelled dining room which is fabulous. Table setting spot on. As the natural light faded the room gave over to the softer warm candle light. All of our 3 courses were cooked, presented and tasted superbly. Choice of cheeses were over tempting and went down well with the ordered ports. Delightful chocolates accompanied the coffee and finished the evening perfectly. We want to return soon. Well done to all the front of house, chef and his team.Special Features:
- A beautiful day out!SophieF08Dined on 8/6/2014Highly recommended. You must book for Sunday lunch as the food and service is perfect for special occasions, expensive but definitely worth it! We had lunch and a walk round Stamford and then went back to find the garden jam packed with people having afternoon tea with a man playing the piano in the background! Beautiful gardens too.Special Features:
- England at its bestdev025Dined on 26/5/2014I have been going to The George for nearly 40 years and it never fails to impress. The staff are attentive, well trained and cheerful, the food is excellent and the breakfast is the best I have ever had. Anyone wanting the experience the quintessential English coaching hotel must try The George. They won't regret it!Special Features:
- Lovely EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 25/5/2014Our evening at The George was superb, a real treat. Service was excellent with attention to detail and the food was superb. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Perfect anniversarySarah21Dined on 24/5/2014The George was the perfect treat for our anniversary. The food is somewhat pricey but for special occasions it is definitely worth it. Outstanding attentive service from start to finish. Certainly wouldn't hesitate to return or recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningSolefamilyDined on 4/5/2014Was very impressed by our evening meal at the George. Staff very pleasant, efficient and excellent at judging just the right moment to come to the table. Every item of food which we had was excellent in every respect. A very good wine list. Thank you to all concerned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I had a mealJanetDined on 12/3/2014My husband and I had a meal together in the restaurant to celebrate his 65th Birthday and we had a really superb evening. Food and service can not be faulted the entire evening was very enjoyableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationKabersDined on 26/2/2014My wife and I went to the Oak Panelled Restaurant for a lunch to celebrate my 72nd birthday. Ambience was excellent and the food and service faultless. A little pricy but one gets what one pays for.Special Features:
- Birhday treatpaul23Dined on 22/2/2014we went to The George again for my birthday treat. the large rib of beef, very much on the bone is fantastic. This is so good i do not have anything else for main course. i had oysters which were super and some nice wine choices. Overall really enjoyable and the oak panelled room is a delight to be in, very old world but with modern service and food. I'd be pleased to return when i can, i think this is my 3rd visit. Great! Paul GSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Midweek lunch for 3trimanDined on 19/2/2014Our first visit and we were bowled over by the high standard of the food and service. The Lunch menu was comprehensive. The marks for 'ambiance' were withheld solely due to the lack of diners and the 'value' ditto as this Restaurant is not cheap but still good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A warm and friendly welcomeHSS500Dined on 14/2/2014A regular visitor and never disappointed. Always a warm and friendly welcome and the ambiance in both the Oak Panelled Restaurant which is more formal and the Garden Restaurant which is casual dining are both perfectly suited to cater as the mood takes you. The service is excellent and I would recommend the wine waiter in helping you select something from suitable to exquisite to complement your choice from a sumptuous menu and wine list as I have yet to be disappointed. During the Summer months tables are available outdoors in the Court Yard which has a wonderful atmosphere and again I would thoroughly recommend a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticAP25Dined on 27/1/2014I took a couple of colleagues here for dinner and it was fantastic. Great wine, great service, fantastic food ( save room for dessert if you can - delicious). Really would recommend this restaurant to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post Christmas Blues LunchschnucksDined on 28/12/2013After a family Christmas my partner and I decided to have some time for ourselves so in the pouring rain and wind made our way to Stamford. After a chilly pre lunch walk around town The George gave us a warm welcome, the open log fire and friendly staff were just the tonic. The food was delicious, the service faultless.10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunchportlandDined on 21/12/2013Met up with friends for my birthday lunch in the George Oak Room restaurant. We had a lovely meal, staff very helpful, one of our party had a dietary requirement which was catered for. The Christmas decorations were first class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Choose The George Hotel in StamfordByegoneDined on 16/12/2013As soon as you see the fantastic view from outside the hotel, you know the inside has to be spectacular. When you enter the lobby you can see a referene to the 'Ye olde worlde' hotel of 200 years ago. The atmosphere and ambiance is matched by the staff and service that's second to none, and the food is truely amazing. From a starter to the main meal the selection is wide and varied, and the sweet trolly is mouth watering. I have been coming to The Gorge Hotel since 1984, for business, birthdays, anniversaries and special occasions, a unique dining experience that will bring you back time after time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Again....!HarryDined on 7/12/2013Another fabulous dining experience at The George. The roast beef - even better than last time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday TreatlovetoeatDined on 16/11/2013As ever, The George Hotel Oak Panelled Restaurant lived up to its well deserved reputation. It never fails to deliver the excellent quality of good food and outstanding service. A great place to visit for that special celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My parents always meet uskeeverDined on 3/11/2013My parents always meet us here as it's the only place we can gaurenteee they will be happy at. Birthdays, sunday lunch even Christmas day we have had here many times and we never have had a problem. I wish there were more places closer by like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good English foood..mygoodselfDined on 1/11/2013Good Traditional English food was served to a very high standard, with a magnificent sirloin on the bone roast trolley and other good choices in addition. Champagne by the glass and other wines served elegantly at perfect temperatures. Very popular...difficult to park at lunchtime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere and excellent foodHavelockDined on 5/10/2013The George in Stamford is an excellent venue for a very good dining experience. The menu is first class and would suit most tastes, with well prepared and presented food. The staff are efficient, smart and friendly. A good hotel for a meal.that is a little bit special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sunday LunchPeterDined on 22/9/2013A memorable meal in celebration of my wife's birthday (recognised also by the restaurant - thank you!). As well as all the usual traditional stuff including a magnificent beef joint carved at the table the menu contained the widest range of temptations. We'd l back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 54 reviews are from the The George Hotel Oak Panelled Restaurant reviews archive.
- StunnedGaz6002Dined on 14/9/2013We eat out a lot and we also knew The George had a seriously good reputation, but on the night they surpassed even our wildest expectations. The food was exceptional, the service was efficient and friendly yet subtle enough not to intrude, the atmosphere was warm, the chairs comfortable and the drinks served perfectly. I can't imagine how it could get any better, which is saying something since it's been open for so long. Of special note for us was the way the staff gave us every opportunity to take our time. There was no pushing us to rush our food, and they asked a few times whether we'd like a break. That is a big difference between the Michelin Star brigade in the capital and properly good British fare like The George.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My party of 4 were made toExcellentDined on 31/8/2013My party of 4 were made to feel sepcial the minute we walked into the hotel. We were asked if we would like a drink first or to go straight to the table, we went straight to the table. Everything from the service, staff and food were excellent but what stood out was the amount of staff on hand so you never had to ask for anything. We very much look forward to going again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in every way!HarryDined on 7/8/2013Food & service is second to none! The roast beef is perfection! The surroundings are historic and the oak panelled dining room is a delight to be seated in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- English ClassicgrahamthefezDined on 18/7/2013Traditional high standards maintained in a delightful setting.Attentive service and excellent wine list.Limited choice for non fish eaters. Overall another memorable dining experience at a classic english restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent celebration lunchWrexonDined on 13/7/2013Good choice available from walk in menu, well served in a lovely ambiance. Much cooler than out in the courtyard and more special to celebrate an anniversary. No rush, almost French in speed - exactly what was wanted; and all this when they we particularly busy with a wedding as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my wife and i enjoyed a firstjimbobDined on 8/7/2013my wife and i enjoyed a first class meal all courses were excellent and the service from all the staff was first also first class, we will be dining here again shortly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunchmelsDined on 7/7/2013Lovely quality Sunday lunch for my husband's birthday. Excellent service from the staff. Quite expensive but well worth it for a treat.Special Features:
- Father's DayofftheballDined on 16/6/2013We were seated promptly and in a friendly manner and all of the staff were courteous, efficient and smartly dressed. The food was lovely and our table well-placed, with a good view of the room...which is impressive. My fillet steak was perfectly cooked, as was my father's duck. The only criticism is the length of time it took to bring us our initial drinks. This is a lovely old building of considerable character and a delight to visit for a special occasion. I have also previously eaten in the garden room and the courtyard, and both are also very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunchjangDined on 7/6/2013We were looked after exceptionally well by all the staff, the menu was varied and interesting and the wine list was extensive. All of our party had the roast beef and everyone agreed it was probably the best roast beef we had ever had!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely fabulousKedayDined on 31/5/2013Wonderful birthday meal, thank you for making the day so specialSpecial Features:
- Birthday dinnerBoycesDined on 26/5/2013Took my wife there for dinner. An altogether excellent experience - ambience, food and service all good. If i had to make one criticism it was that the portions were slightly too generous - especially as we had promised outselves a three-course treat. But that is nit-picking on what was a thoroughly enjoyable and gastronomically memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Value for moneyFelixDined on 19/5/2013Stamford is a small town in Lincolnshire whilst everthing has been excellent the 3 times we have been it is very expensive you are paying city pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely venue with good service,GoodFoodAMustDined on 9/5/2013A lovely venue with good service, but let down by the quality and presentation of the food. Puddings sat on a cart was very old fashioned and seemed entirely inappropriate on a warm day.
- The environment was relaxing,BobbyDined on 28/4/2013The environment was relaxing, warm and comforting with staff always available to point in right direction, get drinks, etc. no waiting around but was given enough time to relax. Food was very tasty with lovely fresh bread, and served beautifully. We didn't want to go home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent anniversaryRutlandDined on 24/4/2013From a warm welcome on arrival to the calm atmosphere in the restaurant - we reviewed the excellent wine list - chose our meals whilst enjoying a bruchetta with Potato soup shot and were well treated. The starters were enjoyed - with the soup being more suitable in size for a cafe and the tempura being slightly overcooked in I think - Beer Batter. The Main couses were superb - a huge Dover sole prepared at table and an excellent rib of beef carved to order - very tasty and much enjoyed - but for presentation more was needed as the pass - possibly a plate addition of asparagus or shallots or similar - Nice desserts and truffles to end (if you like truffles) Overall a very good evening 95% which could have been 100%Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.