The Gilbert Scott
St Pancras Renaissance Hotel
London, NW1 2ARNeighborhood:
BritishPrice: £41 and over
The Gilbert Scott
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegilbertscott.co.uk/
- Phone: 02072783888x
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Marcus Wareing
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: There is a 2 hour turnaround time on all bookings.
- Entertainment: Pianist every evening and at weekends
A word from The Gilbert Scott
The Gilbert Scott restaurant is situated within one of London’s most anticipated re-openings – the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel, a truly spectacular setting bursting with history, atmosphere and charm. Combining a genuine skill for hospitality and a true interest in their unique surroundings, the team at The Gilbert Scott have created a dining experience which really is unlike any other in the capital. From the grandiose entrance of The Gilbert Scott’s bar space, transporting you to another world from the smog and traffic of Euston Road, to the quiet glory of the dining room with its high plaster moulded ceilings, polished limestone pillars and large windows, The Gilbert Scott reminds you of precisely why so many, among them poet John Betjeman, campaigned against the demolition of this magnificent building. A large AA Rosette menu catering for all tastes is inspired by the surrounds of the dining room, incorporating also nostalgic British dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
The Gilbert Scott - Best restaurants in King's Cross ›
The Gilbert Scott reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since 21 May 2014
special occasions (51)business meals (45)fit for foodies (30)sunday lunch (30)romance (21)brunch (17)afternoon tea (13)group bookings (9)pre/post theatre (7)good vegetarian options (5)child friendly (4)outstanding value (4)outdoor eating (1)disabled access (1)Show More
- DisappointingCY123VIPDined on 14/9/2014We went for a Sunday roast at Gilbert Scott. The restaurant was almost empty which meant there was very little atmosphere unfortunately. The food was reasonable. We both enjoyed our roasts, but they came with just two potatoes each and a tiny pot of cabbage so we had to order extra sides. There was very limited and slightly odd choice of starters and desserts on the roast set menu and we were generally unimpressed with both. The service wasn't bad (expect for in the bar where it was terrible), but it wasn't great either. I definitely expected better. Overall nothing in particular was bad, but nothing was great either and we won't be returning.
- Very fine meal indeedFruFruBDined on 6/9/2014I had offered to take my husband to lunch to celebrate his birthday with friends and this was his venue choice. From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly polite well informed and attentive without being intrusive. We were four diners and ordered 3 starters and 4 main courses but the chief insisted on sending out a very small portion of a light soup as a taster so as to ensure no diner was without a starter plate .. very nice touch and very nice sweet corn soup. The meal was without doubt tremendous in every way although no doubting with wine it is pricey but worth it and we shall certainly returnSpecial Features:
- 2nd visitDuffyDined on 31/8/2014Just spent a second outing at Gilbert Scott and expectations were exceeded. The adjacent bar and dining room are spectacular, as is the hotel in general. Magnificent service, very attentive but without being overbearing. Again, the food is the true star of the venue. The rib of beef possibly is the best dish I've had out in .... I can't remember how long it was that superb!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceBarmagDined on 2/8/2014Our second visit. We enjoyed the food even more this time, but exceptional in every way was the attentive and friendly service. This was made to feel like a special occasion for us. Our friend had particular dietary requirements around the method of cooking, which were helpfully accommodated and multiple suggestions offered - thanks also to the kitchen for showing commendable flexibility. The menu shows ingenuity and thoughtful planning around traditional favourites. Not exactly inexpensive, but you DO get quality here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrandtratingDined on 15/7/2014Grand surroundings, attentive staff, good quality well balanced dishes. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Needs to decide what it wants to beThePirateDined on 13/7/2014I must say what lovely grand rooms the bar and restaurant are. The tables and chairs in the bar could new with a refurb and they should invest in new drinks lists to replace the dog-eared worn ones. The service and appearance of the staff just don't measure up to the grandeur of the place. A lot of the staff had either ill-fitting and/or stained uniforms. The drinks themselves were good cocktails. The Sunday lunch menu was very limited. We had different starters which were all under seasoned. The mains were very well cooked but totally uninspiring. The desserts quite bland too. The bread was served without plates and nobody cleared the table cloth before our starters. We cannot believe that a great a chef as Marcus Wareing is involved here!
- A little disappointed .....NoodlesVIPDined on 6/7/2014Booked Gilbert Scott to celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary and have always treated ourselves to special lunch/dinner. I made a note to restaurant to let them know it's our wedding anniversary. We arrived and the service was good throughout, standard. The food was very good but not as great as I expected from this restaurant. We could of gone to a great pub and received much better food. On the whole we left rather disappointed as the service, the food and the whole experience could of been much better as it didn't feel special for enough our celebration. Which I have to say this being the 1st time out of all the years celebrating our wedding anniversary, this came bottom. The note I made to let the restaurant know was pointless.Special Features:
- ACDCVIPDined on 6/7/2014Sunday Brunch here is highly recommended. There is an excellent brunch menu but lunch proper starts at noon. The Sunday Roast menu is excellent value and the a la carte is very reasonable considering the quality of the ingredients. Service is friendly and efficient. There is a good wine list and excellent cocktail list. Well worth trying.
- British at its bestvittoriolgDined on 4/7/2014The Gilbert Scott is a great British experience. The decor is traditional, yet with a very modern feel. A celebration of the past without being nostalgic. The service was perfect: Discreet, warm and not too intrusive. I was expecting the food to be good, but it was even better than I imagined. In some ways it is a journey across Britain: I started off with a Dorset crab with fennel and grapefruit, followed by Goosnargh duck breast with pickled shiitake, turnips, honey and pepper. I ended with Mrs Beeton’s snow egg, officially my new favorite pudding. I definitely recommend the Gilbert Scott, that is unique thanks to the right mix of history, food and decor.Special Features:
- LunchToprodDined on 20/6/2014We had lunch at Gilbert Scott starting with a cocktail in the bar, lovely surroundings. Good selection on the menu, in the light and airy restaurant. Waiting staff friendly and helpful. There was no rush at all. The crab starter was wonderful. They called the day before to confirm the reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConvenientOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 25/5/2014Great place to meet especially when friends just arrived at St Pancras by train.Special Features:
- First time at Gilbert ScottFoodiesDined on 15/5/2014Good food beautifully presented with attentive service. Very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Excellent mealJamesVIPDined on 14/5/2014Great for an informal meal only problem was staff kept interrupting probably because they weren't very busy but got very annoying.
- A bit disappointingcomradeCVIPDined on 10/5/2014I am a great fan of Marcus Waring, but I was a bit disappointed with our evening. My starter was not presented well. The wine list is simply a joke - nothing under £26 and most over £40, and not that god
- Great ambianceCrayDined on 10/5/2014We went to the Gilbert Scott primarily for its location, in the renovated St Pancras Hotel, and the room is gorgeous. We had the Chicken Kiev, salmon, and lamb, which were very good, but not outstanding given the prices. The sides, especially the chips, were excellent, as was the Lord Mayor's Trifle dessert. The service was inconsistent: the wine steward pointed us to a wine better than the one we had chosen but less expensive, which is quite unusual and appreciated, but food service we found slow and inattentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentlondondinerDined on 6/5/2014Excellent standard slightly let down by the dessert. Well worth visiting though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at The Gilbert ScottTezzaDined on 6/5/2014The St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel is a beautiful building and The Gilbert Scott is in part of that but somehow because it is so cavernous it does not feel warm or welcoming quite spartan, maybe it is better in the evening with more diners adding to the atmosphere. The food is mediocre and not what I would call fine dining and havig watched Marcus Wareing judging food on Masterchef with a very critical eye he obviously doesnt do lunch at The GS. I cannot say I am completely impressed and more disappointed than enthusiastic. Would not recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- LondonVIPDined on 23/4/2014Setting is always fantastic. Good food - Arnold Bennet Omlette is great. Great service.Special Features:
- Lamentable LunchAlexDined on 18/4/2014Generally disappointing. It's a shame that such a venue cannot execute simple and uncomplicated food. I think it tries too hard to make food that is 'clever' but fails to give customers classic good food and instead delivers unreasonable and poorly executed and interpreted surprises.Special Features:
- ParnassianDined on 17/4/2014Delicious and delicate food in one of the most stunning venues in London.Special Features:
- Gilbert Scott lunchtrudinerDined on 9/4/2014The atmosphere was relaxed yet elegant, and the table settings were very well done. From the moment we met reception it was clear that this was a highly organised restaurant and that we would be well looked after, as indeed we were. My oysters were perfect and my partner really enjoyed the Yorkshire Fish Cake, whilst the main courses were brilliant. The wine was splendid (and I do know a bit about wine!) and the service was exactly what it should be. All round a very fine experience, and value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousthechompersDined on 4/4/2014Wonderful ambiance, outstanding service, beautiful room with pianist playing in the evening, great food. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely ambiance at Gilbert scottsleslieVIPDined on 3/4/2014enjoyed the taste of Great British food served very well it was a good experience other than thedesigner restaurant card not honoured or recognisedSpecial Features:
- DAYTimeDAYTimeVIPDined on 2/4/2014Eaten here a few times and the fish batter repeats that classic chef error over over salting - some people like to add salt if they require it not have it caked into the composition of the batter! Chips always good however.......I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day LunchrfrfDined on 30/3/2014The menu was varied and all five of us enjoyed the food and the wine. We had to share the 'banquet' which felt a bit intrusive but did not spoil the quality of the food. On the whole, service was very good, just once did we have a complaint, whereby gravy wasn't brought to the table and one of us was left waiting for a while. This is an ideal place to meet friends or family arriving or leaving from King's Cross.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealCer1dDined on 29/3/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our meal, it isn't cheap however a really good quality meal with an excellent selection on the menu. Would recommend for a special occasion, had the Ox cheek which was outstanding, my wife had the Flank steak which was equally as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Gilbert Scott specialisesACDCVIPDined on 28/3/2014The Gilbert Scott specialises in traditional english recipes brought back to life and it does this very well. We were sadly too late for the early evening prix fixe which offers excellent value so ordered a la carte. The rib of beef for two was the highlight and outstanding but perhaps could have come with a side or two at that price. Very good wine and cocktail list. Service is excellent and staff will recognise you and acknowledge you if you come more than once which is always pleasant and gives a more personal dimension to the restaurant. Well worth trying!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly rushedSharpykDined on 21/3/2014A good meal that went into overtime, although we weren't the last in the restaurant I did get tired of the waitress walking past with her empty tray ready to clear away after us. Never a comfortable feeling!Special Features:
- An excellent evening.Jabberwok6Dined on 15/3/2014Booked the Gilbert Scott as a birthday present,four of us dined. We had a reservation for 6.15. The restaurant itself is housed in the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel, which is a stunning building full of character. The staff were friendly, courteous and efficient. Bread and butter was brought to the table while we made our food choices. The starters were Foie Gras, Smoked Salmon, Yorkshire Fishcake and Omlette Arnold Bennett (which unfortunately had several small bones in it). All starters were very tasty and good size portions. Wood Pigeon, Homemade Burger and Ox Cheek were mains, again, all very tasty. Banana Bread and Butter Pudding, warm Chocolate Mousse and Lord Mayor Triffle rounded off a thoroughly enjoyable restaurant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experience from startdminaDined on 15/3/2014A great experience from start to finish. We came on a Saturday afternoon and opted for the set menu. Great choices, good value for money and we were both very full and satisfied. The staff are incredibly friendly and i look forward to having an excuse to come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrilliantCelineDined on 10/3/2014I was meeting an ex colleague, for diner who likes his food and have taste for sophistication. The booking people were extremely accommodating as my friend was late they confirm that my table will be kept and I could wait at the bar. Once seated, waiters were extremely pleasant and professional and the food was really good. The atmosphere is cosy and not too loud if you need to speak business. I will strongly recommend for any occasion. Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Consistently goodHungryrabbitVIPDined on 1/3/2014This was my third visit here for a quick lunch and it was superb. The dining room is stunning, my starter of snails with roast bone marrow a taste sensation, and the pork belly with roast potatoes absolutely perfect!Special Features:
- Good value Sunday lunch dealStaceyhDined on 16/2/2014£27 for 3 courses was good value. Food was good - and a decent Sunday roast. Live piano music was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place and friendly staffSundayDined on 9/2/2014But had to wait quite sometime for our brunch for some reason. Staff were very good with the child in our party (15 months).Special Features:
- Fabulous celebration LunchCEO77Dined on 8/2/2014My family dined at The Gilbert Scott to celebrate Mums 60th Birthday and we had a fabulous time. We had our 3 year old daughter with us and she was welcomed with crayons and paper which she was delighted with. The food was fantastic all round and the service excellent. I would highly recommend this restaurant for a special family celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereMissXVIPDined on 1/2/2014A beautiful space with immaculate service and great food. Superb for celebrating a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I met my nephew for an earlyah888Dined on 31/1/2014I met my nephew for an early supper before catching a train home. Adam works in PR. The check in process was very slow- those without bookings seemed to get preference over those with the forethought to book. However, once we were eventually seated (the wait was more than 5 minutes) we had a great table (in the corner of a banquette) and the ambience is lovely- the room is spectacular. The menu had plenty of choice- my skate wing was delicious and Adam's ox cheek full flavoured, as required. Adam's choc ice pudding was, apparently, spectacular. My rhubarb crumble was delicious but lacked bite. We had a lovely meal and my comments are picky (apart from the wait to be seated)- I am looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and experienceByeo888Dined on 25/1/2014Great food and experience . Service was awesome . Highly recommended .Special Features:
- Great restaurant top marks for foodLOUSDined on 24/1/2014The food at this restaurant is outstanding and good value considering the quality. Great choice on the menu and beautiful setting in the dining area. Visited on a Friday early evening and the bar area though was very very busy. It took about 30 minutes for my husband and I to even receive our drinks order. This was attended to swiftly after a complaint and we were offered a free cocktail each. No faults though on the part of the dining area and staff and would highly recommend this restaurant to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy!Emmielou30VIPDined on 14/1/2014Loved the bar and general ambience at The Gilbert Scott. The staff were great too. I wasn't 'wowed' by the food, I'm a veggie so a little limited but it was all in all; a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.