The Gilbert Scott
St Pancras Renaissance Hotel
London, NW1 2ARNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £41 and over
The Gilbert Scott
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thegilbertscott.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7278 3888
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Marcus Wareing
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: There is a 2 hour turnaround time on all bookings.
- Entertainment: Pianist every evening and at weekends
A word from The Gilbert Scott
The Gilbert Scott restaurant is situated within one of London’s most anticipated re-openings – the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel, a truly spectacular setting bursting with history, atmosphere and charm. Combining a genuine skill for hospitality and a true interest in their unique surroundings, the team at The Gilbert Scott have created a dining experience which really is unlike any other in the capital. From the grandiose entrance of The Gilbert Scott’s bar space, transporting you to another world from the smog and traffic of Euston Road, to the quiet glory of the dining room with its high plaster moulded ceilings, polished limestone pillars and large windows, The Gilbert Scott reminds you of precisely why so many, among them poet John Betjeman, campaigned against the demolition of this magnificent building. A large AA Rosette menu catering for all tastes is inspired by the surrounds of the dining room, incorporating also nostalgic British dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
- Diners' Choice WinnerSunday Lunch
The Gilbert Scott - Best restaurants in King's Cross ›
The Gilbert Scott reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since 28 November 2013
special occasions (44)business meals (41)sunday lunch (25)fit for foodies (24)romance (19)brunch (13)afternoon tea (9)pre/post theatre (8)group bookings (7)outstanding value (5)child friendly (4)good vegetarian options (2)outdoor eating (1)disabled access (1)Show More
- Excellent bruncheplauVIPDined on 22/11/2014A lovely formal setting and delicious menu - a little light on options for veggies but nevertheless very versatile with what they haveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good quality foodMunsyDined on 13/11/2014I had a business lunch with 2 clients, as one of my clients was catching a train we decided to only have a main course, unfortunately we had to wait 45 minutes to receive our food. When the food did arrive the quality was very good. One client had to leave before I picked up the bill, when it did arrive we had been charged for 2 bottles of wine we didn't have. Overall the food and the restaurant are very nice, I just hope the service and bill error was just a blip, I would recommend this restaurant to friends and would book again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gilbert ScottAB80Dined on 2/11/2014Second time here. I had found the service lengthy on a Sunday afternoon, but for this sunday dinereverything was perfect. Oustanding place, relaxed and comfortable atmosphere despite the classicism of the venue that is usually associated with a smart dress code. Here, you can wear what you want as long as it is decent. The service is very attentive yet discret, everybody is welcome. There is usually a pianist playing live at dinner time, very enjoyable. The food flirts with perfection. No disappointment, it always delivers. A great place for any occasion. Enjoying grander and finesse in a rlaxed atmosphere, what is there not to love?Special Features:
- Awesome Food!StewyDined on 30/10/2014Although I am not American the food was awesome - terrific flavours and cooked "just right". Had my best monk fish ever. Wonderful room too. Deffo going back - even on my own if necessary.......
- Venue better than the food.WlCfVIPDined on 19/10/2014Ambiance and venue were great. Food was disappointing. Good flavours but small portions and overly simplistic. My pork belly main consisted of 4 very small slice of pork belly, of which nearly half was fat, accompanied by 2 roasted potatoes and a dash of sauce. Left the restaurant hungry. Not sure the venue makes up for the food.
- Never fails to pleaseLutonHooLeoDined on 14/10/2014I have used the Gilbert Scott on four separate occasions over a period of three years to entertain business clients at lunch. This weeks visit was described by my guest as the "best yet".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanSusanDined on 1/10/2014I have visited the Gilbert Scott a few times and always had a good experience. Meeting up with colleagues at this restaurant for a special get together is an ideal place as close to main rail routes. Excellent meal, menu included Herdwick Lamb, Saddleback Pork Chop, Devon crab so locally sourced ingredients which all tasted very good. Also good to see Marcus Wareing sampling the restaurant food and seeing the waitresses, who were in awe of him with delightful giggles. Service was excellent not just because Marcus was there, the wine selection was good ranging from madly expensive to affordable wines. A very pleasant evening had by all that was quintessentially British. Would recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with a good friendLondonerVIPDined on 18/9/2014The Gilbert Scott is souless and the food nothing special. We found the service grumpy and lack lustre despite there being very few tables occupied. With the hot competition for diners in London, I cannot see it lasting in its current form. We will not be returning...
- DisappointingCY123VIPDined on 14/9/2014We went for a Sunday roast at Gilbert Scott. The restaurant was almost empty which meant there was very little atmosphere unfortunately. The food was reasonable. We both enjoyed our roasts, but they came with just two potatoes each and a tiny pot of cabbage so we had to order extra sides. There was very limited and slightly odd choice of starters and desserts on the roast set menu and we were generally unimpressed with both. The service wasn't bad (expect for in the bar where it was terrible), but it wasn't great either. I definitely expected better. Overall nothing in particular was bad, but nothing was great either and we won't be returning.
- Very fine meal indeedFruFruBDined on 6/9/2014I had offered to take my husband to lunch to celebrate his birthday with friends and this was his venue choice. From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly polite well informed and attentive without being intrusive. We were four diners and ordered 3 starters and 4 main courses but the chief insisted on sending out a very small portion of a light soup as a taster so as to ensure no diner was without a starter plate .. very nice touch and very nice sweet corn soup. The meal was without doubt tremendous in every way although no doubting with wine it is pricey but worth it and we shall certainly returnSpecial Features:
- 2nd visitDuffyDined on 31/8/2014Just spent a second outing at Gilbert Scott and expectations were exceeded. The adjacent bar and dining room are spectacular, as is the hotel in general. Magnificent service, very attentive but without being overbearing. Again, the food is the true star of the venue. The rib of beef possibly is the best dish I've had out in .... I can't remember how long it was that superb!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceBarmagDined on 2/8/2014Our second visit. We enjoyed the food even more this time, but exceptional in every way was the attentive and friendly service. This was made to feel like a special occasion for us. Our friend had particular dietary requirements around the method of cooking, which were helpfully accommodated and multiple suggestions offered - thanks also to the kitchen for showing commendable flexibility. The menu shows ingenuity and thoughtful planning around traditional favourites. Not exactly inexpensive, but you DO get quality here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrandtratingDined on 15/7/2014Grand surroundings, attentive staff, good quality well balanced dishes. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Needs to decide what it wants to beThePirateDined on 13/7/2014I must say what lovely grand rooms the bar and restaurant are. The tables and chairs in the bar could new with a refurb and they should invest in new drinks lists to replace the dog-eared worn ones. The service and appearance of the staff just don't measure up to the grandeur of the place. A lot of the staff had either ill-fitting and/or stained uniforms. The drinks themselves were good cocktails. The Sunday lunch menu was very limited. We had different starters which were all under seasoned. The mains were very well cooked but totally uninspiring. The desserts quite bland too. The bread was served without plates and nobody cleared the table cloth before our starters. We cannot believe that a great a chef as Marcus Wareing is involved here!
- A little disappointed .....NoodlesVIPDined on 6/7/2014Booked Gilbert Scott to celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary and have always treated ourselves to special lunch/dinner. I made a note to restaurant to let them know it's our wedding anniversary. We arrived and the service was good throughout, standard. The food was very good but not as great as I expected from this restaurant. We could of gone to a great pub and received much better food. On the whole we left rather disappointed as the service, the food and the whole experience could of been much better as it didn't feel special for enough our celebration. Which I have to say this being the 1st time out of all the years celebrating our wedding anniversary, this came bottom. The note I made to let the restaurant know was pointless.Special Features:
- ACDCVIPDined on 6/7/2014Sunday Brunch here is highly recommended. There is an excellent brunch menu but lunch proper starts at noon. The Sunday Roast menu is excellent value and the a la carte is very reasonable considering the quality of the ingredients. Service is friendly and efficient. There is a good wine list and excellent cocktail list. Well worth trying.
- British at its bestvittoriolgDined on 4/7/2014The Gilbert Scott is a great British experience. The decor is traditional, yet with a very modern feel. A celebration of the past without being nostalgic. The service was perfect: Discreet, warm and not too intrusive. I was expecting the food to be good, but it was even better than I imagined. In some ways it is a journey across Britain: I started off with a Dorset crab with fennel and grapefruit, followed by Goosnargh duck breast with pickled shiitake, turnips, honey and pepper. I ended with Mrs Beeton’s snow egg, officially my new favorite pudding. I definitely recommend the Gilbert Scott, that is unique thanks to the right mix of history, food and decor.Special Features:
- LunchToprodDined on 20/6/2014We had lunch at Gilbert Scott starting with a cocktail in the bar, lovely surroundings. Good selection on the menu, in the light and airy restaurant. Waiting staff friendly and helpful. There was no rush at all. The crab starter was wonderful. They called the day before to confirm the reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConvenientOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 25/5/2014Great place to meet especially when friends just arrived at St Pancras by train.Special Features:
- First time at Gilbert ScottFoodiesDined on 15/5/2014Good food beautifully presented with attentive service. Very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Excellent mealJamesVIPDined on 14/5/2014Great for an informal meal only problem was staff kept interrupting probably because they weren't very busy but got very annoying.
- A bit disappointingcomradeCVIPDined on 10/5/2014I am a great fan of Marcus Waring, but I was a bit disappointed with our evening. My starter was not presented well. The wine list is simply a joke - nothing under £26 and most over £40, and not that god
- Great ambianceCrayDined on 10/5/2014We went to the Gilbert Scott primarily for its location, in the renovated St Pancras Hotel, and the room is gorgeous. We had the Chicken Kiev, salmon, and lamb, which were very good, but not outstanding given the prices. The sides, especially the chips, were excellent, as was the Lord Mayor's Trifle dessert. The service was inconsistent: the wine steward pointed us to a wine better than the one we had chosen but less expensive, which is quite unusual and appreciated, but food service we found slow and inattentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentlondondinerDined on 6/5/2014Excellent standard slightly let down by the dessert. Well worth visiting though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at The Gilbert ScottTezzaVIPDined on 6/5/2014The St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel is a beautiful building and The Gilbert Scott is in part of that but somehow because it is so cavernous it does not feel warm or welcoming quite spartan, maybe it is better in the evening with more diners adding to the atmosphere. The food is mediocre and not what I would call fine dining and havig watched Marcus Wareing judging food on Masterchef with a very critical eye he obviously doesnt do lunch at The GS. I cannot say I am completely impressed and more disappointed than enthusiastic. Would not recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- LondonVIPDined on 23/4/2014Setting is always fantastic. Good food - Arnold Bennet Omlette is great. Great service.Special Features:
- Lamentable LunchAlexDined on 18/4/2014Generally disappointing. It's a shame that such a venue cannot execute simple and uncomplicated food. I think it tries too hard to make food that is 'clever' but fails to give customers classic good food and instead delivers unreasonable and poorly executed and interpreted surprises.Special Features:
- ParnassianDined on 17/4/2014Delicious and delicate food in one of the most stunning venues in London.Special Features:
- Gilbert Scott lunchtrudinerDined on 9/4/2014The atmosphere was relaxed yet elegant, and the table settings were very well done. From the moment we met reception it was clear that this was a highly organised restaurant and that we would be well looked after, as indeed we were. My oysters were perfect and my partner really enjoyed the Yorkshire Fish Cake, whilst the main courses were brilliant. The wine was splendid (and I do know a bit about wine!) and the service was exactly what it should be. All round a very fine experience, and value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousthechompersDined on 4/4/2014Wonderful ambiance, outstanding service, beautiful room with pianist playing in the evening, great food. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely ambiance at Gilbert scottsleslieVIPDined on 3/4/2014enjoyed the taste of Great British food served very well it was a good experience other than thedesigner restaurant card not honoured or recognisedSpecial Features:
- DAYTimeDAYTimeVIPDined on 2/4/2014Eaten here a few times and the fish batter repeats that classic chef error over over salting - some people like to add salt if they require it not have it caked into the composition of the batter! Chips always good however.......I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day LunchrfrfDined on 30/3/2014The menu was varied and all five of us enjoyed the food and the wine. We had to share the 'banquet' which felt a bit intrusive but did not spoil the quality of the food. On the whole, service was very good, just once did we have a complaint, whereby gravy wasn't brought to the table and one of us was left waiting for a while. This is an ideal place to meet friends or family arriving or leaving from King's Cross.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealCer1dDined on 29/3/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our meal, it isn't cheap however a really good quality meal with an excellent selection on the menu. Would recommend for a special occasion, had the Ox cheek which was outstanding, my wife had the Flank steak which was equally as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Gilbert Scott specialisesACDCVIPDined on 28/3/2014The Gilbert Scott specialises in traditional english recipes brought back to life and it does this very well. We were sadly too late for the early evening prix fixe which offers excellent value so ordered a la carte. The rib of beef for two was the highlight and outstanding but perhaps could have come with a side or two at that price. Very good wine and cocktail list. Service is excellent and staff will recognise you and acknowledge you if you come more than once which is always pleasant and gives a more personal dimension to the restaurant. Well worth trying!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly rushedSharpykDined on 21/3/2014A good meal that went into overtime, although we weren't the last in the restaurant I did get tired of the waitress walking past with her empty tray ready to clear away after us. Never a comfortable feeling!Special Features:
- An excellent evening.Jabberwok6Dined on 15/3/2014Booked the Gilbert Scott as a birthday present,four of us dined. We had a reservation for 6.15. The restaurant itself is housed in the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel, which is a stunning building full of character. The staff were friendly, courteous and efficient. Bread and butter was brought to the table while we made our food choices. The starters were Foie Gras, Smoked Salmon, Yorkshire Fishcake and Omlette Arnold Bennett (which unfortunately had several small bones in it). All starters were very tasty and good size portions. Wood Pigeon, Homemade Burger and Ox Cheek were mains, again, all very tasty. Banana Bread and Butter Pudding, warm Chocolate Mousse and Lord Mayor Triffle rounded off a thoroughly enjoyable restaurant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experience from startdminaDined on 15/3/2014A great experience from start to finish. We came on a Saturday afternoon and opted for the set menu. Great choices, good value for money and we were both very full and satisfied. The staff are incredibly friendly and i look forward to having an excuse to come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrilliantCelineDined on 10/3/2014I was meeting an ex colleague, for diner who likes his food and have taste for sophistication. The booking people were extremely accommodating as my friend was late they confirm that my table will be kept and I could wait at the bar. Once seated, waiters were extremely pleasant and professional and the food was really good. The atmosphere is cosy and not too loud if you need to speak business. I will strongly recommend for any occasion. Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Consistently goodHungryrabbitVIPDined on 1/3/2014This was my third visit here for a quick lunch and it was superb. The dining room is stunning, my starter of snails with roast bone marrow a taste sensation, and the pork belly with roast potatoes absolutely perfect!Special Features: