The Great House
Gastro PubPrice: £25 and under
The Great House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thegreathouse.net/
- Phone: 01580 753119
- Hours of Operation:
Open for lunch and dinner Monday to Sunday from 11.30am to 11pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Lucian Bunea
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
A word from The Great House
This 16th century inn set in the heart of the Kentish weald just oozes character and history, with its wealth of exposed beams and a magnificent orangery overlooking the private garden. A traditional lynch gate and a herb garden just add to its charm. The mediterranean-style stone terrace is the ideal place to enjoy summer evenings. Our menu is made up of traditional English cuisine, regional French brasserie-style cuisine created by our chef as well as local seasonal game. You can also choose from a fine selection of ales and wine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSunday Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Great House - Best restaurants in Cranbrook ›
The Great House reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since 25 November 2013
sunday lunch (64)special occasions (62)fit for foodies (57)outdoor eating (27)group bookings (26)romance (25)child friendly (25)business meals (21)brunch (15)outstanding value (12)afternoon tea (12)good vegetarian options (10)pre/post theatre (6)disabled access (3)Show More
- Food good, but limited menutandcDined on 15/11/2014Nice environment. Good service. Food good, but limited menu may not suit some.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable as alwaysMurtronDined on 27/10/2014The cosy ambience is wonderful with a welcoming fire in the bar. We really enjoyed the pigs cheeks, and there are always interesting and delicious options on the specials board. There is always at least one option from the Aga which is located in the main restaurant. The scallops are always great, with new and inventive variations on the accompaniments. Our daughter was down from Uni, and always loves to include a meal if she can. I hold a Peachy Friend card, which entitles you to discounts and special offers. Ask the staff for details, as this can also be used at the sister restaurants in Kent & East Sussex.Special Features:
- dinnerFlapperDined on 20/10/2014Dinner on a monday evening. Good atmosphere despite being a Monday. V good staff. Excellent food thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday lunchhatjoepegDined on 19/10/2014great lunch for 8 with sharing platters, great steaks and service. Certainly the jewel in the chainSpecial Features:
- dogpinkmayDined on 14/10/2014A very pleasant meal with delicious food. Very attentive service. Would certainly like to go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work guysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/10/2014To many workman at the bar, swearing and being loud, early evening. Puts people off they leave. People go there for a nice evening meal in a high class place, and they are walking into a transport cafe. It seriously needs sorting out. They must be losing money over it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but not the bestFoodDined on 12/10/2014Sunday roast was tasty but had to request Apple sauce was given a tiny bowl for our table of 5 people 2 of which were eating pork. Desserts were really lovely. I would not go back as there was nothing special about it. Very long wait for our mains. Most staff were very friendly.Special Features:
- Lovely LunchMissyDined on 11/10/2014We ate ere on Saturday lunch time and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The service is very professional right from the point of arrival. The food selection is good and the atmosphere welcoming, warm and buzzy. We have eaten here before and would not hesitate to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeaconridgeBeaconridgeDined on 2/10/2014We visit here more than any other local restaurant and we are never disappointed. The staff are very friendly and the good quality hot food is served hot on hot plates. Enough to choose from and the odd daily special too. A really classy joint. We have tried a couple of others in this restaurant's small chain but reckon 'The Great House' is the best of them. Did I say nice staff?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening meal - solo travellerLisianthus56Dined on 26/9/2014I was allocated a good table. The staff were very attentive and efficient, even though the pub was obviously busy. The choice of menu was good and varied and not outrageously priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HawkmanVIPDined on 21/9/2014Another of my repetitive reviews of the Great House - everything here is simply consistently very good. As usual, we received a lovely warm welcome. Prompt, efficient. friendly service and great food. This time we tried the game stew from the Aga (rabbit, pheasant and venison) - delicious, very generous portions of the stew and plenty of seasonal vegetables. We took my in-laws, one of whom is notoriously (and unjustly) fussy about food - and even he could find nothing to complain about!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a lovely lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/9/2014Will definitely be back, thank you. My only criticism is the risotto I had was quite salty for my palette, but still yummy.Special Features:
- TillyDined on 10/9/2014Excellent food and very friendly, personal service. We felt very well looked after.Special Features:
- Lovely relaxed place to eat!LuvtolunchDined on 7/9/2014This restaurant is a lovely place for Sunday lunch. We took some friends with us, we both have dogs, so we decided to do one of the walks that was in and around the pub first. It was a lovely way to work up an appetite for the fantastic lunch we had. Thank you to all the staff at the great house who looked after us. We will be back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable lunch; memorable occasionFishoftheKingDined on 6/9/2014It was 50 years ago this Autumn I met Peter at Uni of Sussex so a suitable occasion for a reunion. The lunch we had at The Great House was fully appropriate for the occasion.
- Another great evening.FifiVIPDined on 5/9/2014Thanks for another great evening. I have to give a special mention to the Chicken and Mushroom Casserole from the Aga, One of our party ordered this and announced it was fantastic, the best thing he'd had. It was more of a pie, packed with chicken and topped with little chunks of potato topped with cheese. We tried the squid starter for the first time as well. That was excellent. As usual the staff were attentive and lovely.Special Features:
- Top drawer again!!hendyVIPDined on 31/8/2014Another fabulous Sunday lunch - food is always excellent - the staff are very friendly and nothing seems to be too much trouble - the little extra touches go a long way to enhancing the dining experience. I would happily recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicey but priceyLoveEatingOutakaLEODined on 30/8/2014We went here for lunch. We were made to feel welcome and the service was attentive and friendly. The food was nice without being exciting. For her main my wife had a fish pie, which she said was very tasty. She ate it all. Her vegetables though were undercooked, not even al dente. She left them. My main was a chuck steak burger, cooked beautifully succulent, but the red cabbage 'slaw that came with it was so bland it added nothing to the meal at all, so I left that. My wife liked having three choices for her ice cream dessert, but my sticky toffee pudding was far too sweet. I had a 250ml glass of NZ wine, which was lovely, but very expensive. In summary: Would recommend, except wine by the glass, the 'slaw and the vegetables.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!BubbaDined on 29/8/2014We have visited this restaurant regularly when we are in the area and this time noticed a decline in the food quality. The was definitely something lacking. The fish board now has a "tapas" edge and the fish and chips were definitely below par with the fish looking quite insipid. The fish pie was tasteless. We are very upset as this restaurant had fabulous qualities. Do not think we will return.
- Deserves its excellent reputationTristramShandyDined on 27/8/2014Dinner on 27 August 2014 with two companions. Very pleasant surroundings: characterful but informal. Service was attentive and efficient. Good menu and food well cooked and presented. Very reasonable prices for the quality. My only disappointment was with the car parking: one of my companions was disabled and there seemed to be no provision for disabled parking. We had to park in an unsurfaced area to the rear of the restaurant. then, when we emerged after dark the whole car park was in pitch darkness - dangerous considering the unfinished state of the surface, particularly with a disabled companion. I think the car parking issue needs attention - hence only four stars for ambience.Special Features:
- Birthday mealLuv2dineDined on 27/8/2014Its a firm favourite for Birthdays and a bonus that we are within walking distance. Food lovely as usual. Really liked the squid starter. The specials went down well and we even managed to squeeze in desserts too.Special Features:
- Great food but draftyGerryDined on 24/8/2014Great food and pleasantly served as usual. Sadly we were seated adjacent to the garden access and thus what would have been a very satisfactory culinary experience was spoiled by constant stream of guests using the garden and restroom facilities. Would not have been so bad if the guests had closed the door behind them .. and the same goes for some members of staff! It is appreciated that, when the restaurant is full, that someone has to sit on either side of this exit but, NIMBYI guess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dolling tonFood4uDined on 23/8/2014This was my first visit to The Great House with three girlfriends that come to visit me locally from Brighton. We were all very impressed with the food which was absolutely beautiful and also although they were busy the service was perfect with no long waits. Would certainly visit it again and recommend anyone to try it, you won't be disappointed. We'll done The Great House.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 20/8/2014Range of main dishes was disappointing. A shame that we cannot see more local people running and serving in our local restaurants.
- A great place for Sunday LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 17/8/2014A very welcoming venue with excellent food! We loved the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Evening MealMurtronDined on 9/8/2014My cousin decided to visit at short notice, and we were caught out for a dinner idea. We use the Great House (and sister restaurant The Vineyard) regularly and managed to book a table. As usual, the ambiance and food were excellent. Instead of bread or olives, we selected the squid & prawns from their tapas menu, to share while waiting for the meal to arrive. Having enjoyed these, the starters and main courses were swift to follow. My daughter and I always agonise over the starter, and then end up choosing the scallops! The chef periodically varies the recipe for the scallops, and it is always interesting to try a different take on a favourite food. Always check the "Specials" board, as these are usually always delicious.Special Features:
- Lovely food and staffkasartDined on 25/7/2014Delicious food and great service, liked the décor and the garden. We did not feel hurried to finish and the staff were attentive and polite.Special Features:
- Great HousetryingthegroupDined on 20/7/2014Enjoyable, friendly staff. Service better than The Vineyard. Haven't been to either a sufficient number of times to compare food quality but would go the Great House again. For me, portions a bit too big - we are not in America - smaller and, perhaps, cheaper would be a desirable attribute. Cannot comment directly but the loo's given 5 stars by the ladies in our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbWaltsofwyeDined on 16/7/2014We wanted a nice place to take friends who were new to the area but who were discerning diners. The great house delivered with lovely, helpful staff and very nice food served outside in lovely surroundings. Could not fault it. We have also dined inside in the past and loved the decor and the AGA!Special Features:
- Memorable eveningEagleDined on 12/7/2014A very enjoyable evening with good food and excellent service. Starters very tasty but a little overpriced given the portion sizes. Main courses were delicious and good value. Desserts at £6 pricey. However , excellent ambience and very friendly staff made this a memorable evening. Will be back.Special Features:
- Top qualityAuriolDined on 11/7/2014We booked on line for our resovation and all went according to plan. We were greeted and seated. Drinks were brought to our table in the pub part before being shown to our table in the restaurant. Service was excellent as was the food. We have been there quite a few times and have never been disappointed. Will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good choiceQuietDiningDined on 5/7/2014A lovely lunch with an interesting menu. We really enjoyed the Brazilian Platter. Service was friendly and efficient. Pleasant environment - a bit noisy for me but can't complain because it was only people enjoying themselves instead of loud "background" music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FindBeachcomerDined on 4/7/2014My wife were staying in Hawkhurst for just one night. It isn't a part of Sussex we are familiar with and read various reviews on the internet before booking. We were not disappointed. The food was well cooked, nice and hot and well presented (and a great pint of Harvey's) The staff were friendly, polite and efficient and I felt the bill represented good value for money. All in all a good night out and if we were in this area again I would certainly book another table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodspyVIPDined on 29/6/2014A very pleasant dining room looking out on to the garden in a building dating vack to the 1600s. It was full at 7.30 on a a Sunday evening - though the restaurant closes at 9.30. An eclectic menu with the aga specials of particualr interest. The "dabs fillet", spelled and pronounced as written, were worthy of mention. It is some time indeed since I have seen dab on a menu but the fillets were very well cooked, although the kitchen wasa little heavy handed with the mornay sauce. All in all a very pleasant meal in an interesting location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 28/6/2014Excellent food from starter (Brazilian sharing platter), juicy steaks to ice creams and sorbets. Very pleasant surroundings and friendly, efficient service. A thoroughly enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice place in the countrybarnowlDined on 26/6/2014Had a very nice meal here when staying overnight in the area. Very friendly team and excellent choice of freshly cooked food. Good beer and wine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday lunchSw56Dined on 22/6/2014We had a super Sunday lunch, the service was very good and the food tasty and well cooked. Hubby who is very specific on how he likes his steak was very happy. We felt that the staff although cheerful and attentive the level of service wasnt intrusive. I would recommend the cherry brûlée and would have to admit I thought I wouldn't ever find a brûlée as good as mine. Definately on our list of to go back to's.Special Features:
- Worth the journey!smckeeDined on 15/6/2014We booked The Great House for Fathers Day and having traveled from London were pleasantly surprised with the warm welcome. Service was attentive and friendly and food was plentiful and tasty. They had an excellent choice of local beers/bitters which our waiter gave us a selection of tasters of. We will def return despite the 1h 45min journeySpecial Features:
- Lovely DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 14/6/2014We had a fantastic meal, with excellent and very friendly service. The special was brilliant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceHayleyDined on 14/6/2014Nice country pub/restaurant with lovely calm atmosphere and outside areas. Very friendly staff. Only downside is the limited menu, each time I have gone I have had fish and chips because there is nothing else on the menu. If they offered more choice I would go more often :)Special Features: