The Grill Room at the Square
29 Royal Exchange Square
Glasgow, G1 3AJNeighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: £26 to £40
The Grill Room at the Square
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.grillroomglasgow.com/
- Phone: 01412255615x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 7:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 12:pm - 6pm Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:03pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 7:pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: David Freil
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: 29 to You offers bespoke dining packages. From intimate dinners for two, to large private parties. All packages are individually tailored to meet your exact requirements.
- Private Party Facilities: The Grill Room at the Square also houses 2 private dining facilities, accommodating parties of up to 24 guests. Both rooms have in built plasma screens, making them ideally suited for pre dinner meetings and screening of sporting events whilst dining. Also available, is our Roof Terrace Marquee which can accommodate up to 40 guests. The Marquee is a fully functional, heated and private dining facility and is great for those looking for a unique dining experience!
- Private Party Contact: Janis Hart 0141 225 5615x
- Entertainment: Sunday afternoons are host to our Sunday Roast menu as well as live pianist in the main restaurant from 3 - 5pm.
The Grill Room is also part of 29 Private members club. Voted the country's most stylish venue, 29 members are treated not only to a distinctive and vibrant bar & club, but also benefit from a range of in house and hospitality events.
For information on how to join and the benefits of becoming a member, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Public Transit: Royal Exchange Square is located a mere 5 minutes walk from Glasgow Central and Queen Street train stations. The area surrounding is also well serviced by taxis and is approximately 10 miles from Glasgow Airport.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: The Grill Room at the Square does not offer parking facilities but is however, within a short walking distance from both the NCP car parks situated on Mitchell Street and Glassford Street.
A word from The Grill Room at the Square
The award winning Grill Room at the Square is centrally located on Royal Exchange Square. As the winner of Restaurant Magazine's 'Best Steak and Chips in the UK Award', 'Best New Chef of the Year' at the Scottish Variety Awards and a member of the Scottish Beef Club we are renowned for offering the highest quality cuisine.Continued
Lunch is served from 12.00pm and Dinner from 6.00pm.
Lunch is served from 12.00pm and Dinner from 6.00pm.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambience
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
The Grill Room at the Square - Best restaurants in Glasgow ›
The Grill Room at the Square reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since 18 May 2014
special occasions (73)pre/post theatre (61)romance (50)business meals (40)fit for foodies (36)group bookings (31)sunday lunch (31)afternoon tea (23)brunch (22)outstanding value (21)good vegetarian options (7)outdoor eating (4)child friendly (4)Show More
- Pre Theatre MealF1957R1956Dined on 8/9/2014Excellent Service. Lovely atmosphere. I like the loaf of bread brought out as an appetiser. Our meal was delicious. I chose a Jamaican theme with chicken skewer as starter which was extremely tasty and Spicy Beef as a main. Strawberry Fool was a yummy dessert and the house red wine was delicious. Also lovely view from window in restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/9/2014Food not same standard as other resturant in the same category, small hair on my starter plate however was changed. Cutting bread at the table rather messy as we only had a small table and crumbs all over the place, better sliced and placed in bread basket rather than the waiter having to cut and leaving a mess. Could not see the diffrence between al cart and pre theatre other than the price.Special Features:
- Amazing meal in a lovely place!LuvFoodDined on 29/8/2014Food, wine and service was great. Had a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSamZDined on 23/8/2014I have been several times now and have always had a fantastic experience....Special Features:
- 29Discodollie17Dined on 19/8/2014Great food. Staff very friendly. Happily dine there on my ownSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECT!PapaTDined on 2/8/2014Lovely, bright and welcoming. Tables well set out not intrusive. Staff and service first class. Food heaven, lots of variety on menu. Moved into lounge for coffee where there was such a lovely homely atmosphere.Special Features:
- haggis2Dined on 1/8/2014Pre theatre dinner was excellent and great value for money. The waiting service couldn't have been betterSpecial Features:
- ExcellentWillreturn96Dined on 25/7/2014Great service Attentive staff Friendly and welcoming Great varied menu Fab presentation Nice little extra touches. Tablet and shortcake with confess Not at all rushed Great piano music in loungeSpecial Features:
- FantasticAngelaDined on 19/7/2014We decided to book a table for the Grill room to check out the food, since we have booked to be married there next year 6/6/15. the atmosphere and attention to details was amazing, it was very classy and very romantic. The service was excellent, with the bread of the day being brough to you, delicious! We stayed and had the pre-theatre, which both had the chicken lier parfait, which was to die for. Then I had the drunken chicken and my husband to be the sausgaes and champ with black pudding, also amazing! Glass of house red merlot and an espresso for afters what a treat. Thank you as know we cannot wait to have our big day there now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at the GrillGirls4lunchDined on 19/7/2014Delicious food in beautiful surroundings with a lovely atmosphere. Staff were friendly & efficient & the white chocolate Creme brûlée is amazing! Would definitely return for a meal in future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinneryvon78Dined on 5/7/2014We ate here for our first anniversary. We ate early on a Saturday night as non-members are not allowed in after 7pm. This meant we could order from the pre-theatre menu as well as the al a carte. The bread we got served and carved at the table was delicious. I ordered the burger as i hadnt heard what our waiter had said about the fish of the day as he had a strong french accent. When i heard another waiter explain it to another table i asked to change my order which was done was no problem whatsoever. The starters were tasty. My main course sea bream with thai flavoured risotto was delicious and my husband said his steak was cooked the way he wanted and very tasty. The only disappointment was his tasteless peppercorn sauce. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation LunchCurlypowDined on 2/7/2014We were informed 24 hours prior to arriving that our graduation menu would be changing. Pleased with the response from 29 when we objected but don't be changing graduation menus in the middle of graduation week please! Our server was charming and attentive as was the rest of the staff. The atmosphere was pleasant. Good value menu. The food was fine - nothing wrong with it but nothing that made us say "yum" or get excited either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant was excellantcashDined on 2/7/2014My wife and I live in Monifieth and when visiting Glasgow we always go to the Grill Room because of the excellant food and service.Special Features:
- Never let's me down!FineDinerDined on 29/6/2014Highly recommended! The food was sensational, and extremely good value for money! Loved the atmosphere, very relaxed for a Sunday afternoon :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday LunchOnyirtoddDined on 27/6/2014We opted for the June offer of £29 for 2 courses and a glass of wine, and were not disappointed. Food was first class, service was attentive and friendly, without being intrusive. Overall a thoroughly enjoyable experience, and would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatLittlenellDined on 22/6/2014Excellent value, in a lovely setting. Great food.and the service is excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 14/6/2014Food not as good as we have had on past visits - slightly disappointed in the quality of the fish and tough chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening and lovely foodJanfranDined on 13/6/2014Really enjoyed our meal at 29. The food was perfect, the wee loaf of bread at the start is delightful. Portions are very generous. There were a few large parties in on the same evening so we had quite a wait between courses. Apart from that the service was perfect. (perhaps the reception at the front desk could be a little warmer)Special Features:
- Great Sunday LunchMrsBDined on 8/6/2014Myself and my husband visited this restaurant on 8 June 2014. We took advantage of the two meals for £29. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the service was also great. We both enjoyed the girl singing and playing the piano.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JanettheGannetDined on 6/6/2014As always the food, service and ambience were all of a very high quality. I have never been let down by the grill room yet and look forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, poor everything elseglasgowgenieDined on 30/5/2014This was my 5th visit to the restaurant and probably the last. It was to celebrate a birthday and I requested a window table or booth table, unfortunately we managed to get the worst table in the restaurant. This I can understand. The restaurant is famous ( apparently) for its steaks and I ordered the Rib eye bone in medium rare. It arrived with no bone! and medium to well done. The majority of the time was spent removing the fat from it, leaving little actual meat. The staff are always excellent, unfortunately I can think of far better ways to spend £100 on a meal with a value of £25. Sorry, but there are far better places out there.
- Luxurious dining experienceFruitbopDined on 22/5/2014We were recommend the Grill House by a friend and we were not disappointed. We ordered a la carte , New York strip sirloin and bone in rib eye , both were cooked to perfection, chunky chips, seasonal veg , all well presented. Our prosecco was kept topped up , staff very attentive and knowledgable. We will return on our next visit to Glasgow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Food was okay but lamb chewy and gravy in steak pie too rich. Service was good but a bit slow, we sat a long time with dirty plates in front of us even though the restaurant was quiet. Lovely setting though so I would give it another go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak in the UK!curryexpertDined on 2/5/2014I have eaten all over the world and this restaurant has the best fillet and Kobe I have ever tasted, the fresh baked bread is far to good you have to watch you don't fill yourself with bread and leave no space for sweet. So looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- McCannclanDined on 24/4/2014Absolutely the best steaks in Glasgow, we love it hereSpecial Features:
- Dissapointed with last visitDeedeeDined on 20/4/2014My partner, my son and myself visited the grill on Easter Sunday. I was pretty disappointment with my main meal which was chicken, that was dry and plain. The poor selection of both deserts and main meals were also a let down. I have visited the grill on many occasions and always enjoyed it, until this particular day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak bad serviceOonagh92Dined on 18/4/2014The restaurant interior is stunning. The fillet steak was phenomenal although when ordering two portions of chunky chips we received one bowl of around 12 chips. Our waiter was slow, rude and at points made us feel uncomfortable. He had a French accent and there was a communication barrier although the service around us seemed smooth enough. I went with my boyfriend for our 1 year anniversary and overall we would definitely recommend in fact I'm thinking of booking up for my upcoming birthday.Special Features:
- I love it hereTheAuctioneerDined on 4/4/2014I have dined at the grill room in 29 so many times and have never had a meal that has disappointed. The staff are all welcoming and friendly and even though the place was 'heaving', and my wife was 45 mins late (Usual!), the food order was taken promptly and, importantly, delivered very quickly. We had a set two course that was extremely good value, it was my own fault that the overall bill came to £200, we didn't want to leave so stayed until the early hours sipping cocktails in the bar.....I'll be back as soon as I've saved up again!Special Features:
- fabulousjeanieDined on 4/4/2014The service was very good and they dealt with my gluten free option without any hassle. We went for lunch and the lunch menu had a good choice of food for all tastes. What a lovely afternoon. :)Special Features:
- Best Fillet SteakOystercatcherDined on 3/4/2014Had a lovely meal and It was the best fillet steak I've had for a while, we also asked to try the oysters and they were very nice, everything was well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticheathenchemistDined on 30/3/2014Went for mother's day. Was amazing in every aspectSpecial Features:
- Had a lovely meal for my birthday,.tastytreatsDined on 29/3/2014Had a lovely meal for my birthday,. attentive staff great service and food. highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- great timepumpengineersDined on 21/3/2014The food and ambiance was fantastic. Service was great. Joanah did an outstanding job and went above and beyond. thanks for a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak frenzy!Slysi59Dined on 21/3/2014If you like your meat then the Grill Room is a must. Absolutely the best steaks as the prices would indicate. It's not cheap --this wasn't a booking made via any special offers-and throw in a couple of bottles of Fleurie@ £30 each and a meal for 4 plus drinks was over £60 per head. But the food was perfectly cooked, the ambience of the building is great--from the bar area with pianist doing her best to jazz up some classics, to the dining area with some private rooms available for larger parties. 29 as an establishment has been on the go for a while now and still seems to be popular with those seeking to impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunday lunchover50Dined on 9/3/2014Responded to an email offering 20% off food. Booked on the strength of the email offer. Food fantastic, service excellent and then it went a bit wrong when the bill came. The food was not discounted. There was then the dilemma of do I challenge this. Despite the embarrassment I did challenge. A full 15 minutes later we were still trying to sort it out with "do you have the email Sir to prove it" etc ( all conducted politely ), I eventually had to forward the email to reception. A bit of a shame as the meal,service and ambience were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service and attentionNicsDined on 8/3/2014The service and attention to detail was very good. Went for the 2 course for £15 thought the menu was limited and options didn't include potatoes/veg or chips which had to be purchased seperately. The food was good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Income not serviceMaggieMayDined on 22/2/2014They took full drinks order at 7.45pm then informed us at 7.50 that we had to leave table by 8. Food was good in nice surrounds but appears unless you are a club member or celebrity they are not interested in your business.
- Divine diningCalmacDined on 21/2/2014An impeccable dining experience with ambience style, and service flair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic SettingFraserDined on 15/2/2014The quality of the service is the best you can experience in Glasgow. The food is good although i think the price of the steak options are slightly high for the presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gtest night, great foodKennyRDined on 14/2/2014Very nice evening at the grill room, great food, fillet steak was amazing...great service too..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.