Harrow Weald, HA3 6SDNeighbourhood:
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: £25 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thehareatoldredding.com/
- Phone: 02089544949
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 12pm - 9pm
Saturday: 12pm - 9:30pm
Sunday: 12pm - 7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English, Gastro Pub, Contemporary European
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Specific area available for functions (Special Occasions, Birthdays, funerals, etc.)
Full closure of restaurant if neccessary.
Buffet Options available (price per head)
Fully licensed Bar and license for music.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Francis 02089544949
- Entertainment: Background Music
- Cross Street: Old Redding
- Public Transit: Bus stops located immediatley outside the restaurant. Bus service 258 towards Watford or Harrow. Regular bus service running monday to sunday.
Harrow Station and Bushey station roughly 15 minutes away.
- Parking: Private Car Park
- Parking Details: Large car park available, Disabled parking situated closest to entrance.
A word from The Hare
Welcome to The Hare at Old Redding, experience contemporary dining in a elegant and comfortable setting. Traditional English food served with a modern European influence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Hare reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since 2 June 2014
sunday lunch (24)special occasions (19)fit for foodies (12)group bookings (11)brunch (10)outdoor eating (9)child friendly (5)good vegetarian options (4)business meals (4)romance (4)outstanding value (3)afternoon tea (1)pre/post theatre (1)disabled access (1)Show More
- Delicious food in pleasant placeCaseyDined on 28/6/2014I took my mother to The Hare for her birthday dinner. The food was excellent. There was only one vegetarian main course for me and it was lasagne but it was delicious. The service was courteous and friendly but not intrusive. There was a pleasant ambience though the tables were a little too close together. I would definitely recommend The Hare and we will be going there again.Special Features:
- wilisDined on 19/6/2014We were greeted in a friendly and welcoming manner. It makes such a difference. The service was considerate and efficient throughout the meal. A really good meal, with a wide range of choices. Everything we had was well presented, well cooked and with generous portions. A sensible wine list and not expensive. The manager took the time to talk with us, explaining a little about the building and the staff as well as commiserating about the football ! Overall excellent value for money and a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eveningpickynickyDined on 18/6/2014My last visit was poor as there was no heating & the service was very slow. it improved this time helped by being a hot day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at bestDaisyBellDined on 18/5/2014When the waiter told us, "Thank you for your order. We'll try and get the food to yo has quickly as we can", we had a feeling this was not going to be a fine dining experience. The food, when it finally arrived, was mediocre at best. Getting any attention from the waiting staff was a constant challenge, and all this despite the fact that the place was only half full. In addition, there is constant noise. The place is very echoey, and the persistent background music would make conversation difficult for those with hearing problems.Special Features:
- EnjoyableLinlipDined on 10/5/2014Enjoyed this restaurant on many occasions and have just learnt it has now closed.Special Features:
- RelaxingSmithyDined on 27/4/2014Went out with relatives for Sunday lunch. Good choice- all of us struggled to choose just one starter & main. Good portion sizes. Soup arrived cold initially but immediately rectified. It's not a problem that matters, but how it is dealt with. Unfortunately had run out of our chosen wine, but alternative was very good. Restaurant was busy, but there were no delays. Neither were we at any time rushed. Timing is everything.Special Features:
- Disappointing culinary skillsmartDined on 20/3/2014We had been the previous week. Turbot was very good. Starters meagre and gravadlax portion decidedly miserly. Staff pleasant but Manager (?) seemed to be rather 'squiffy' in his welcome to us; the heating wasn't working at all on this occasion. On our second visit thefollowing week, my steak instead of being cooked 'medium' was extremely rare inside and cold on delivery to the table. The staff were apologetic and a replacement duly brought by which time of course my companions had finished their meal. Shame.
- not very goodsanyDined on 15/3/2014expensive and too limited a menu, inflexible regarding a stupid thing like bread with smoked salmon! ,would not go again.although the ambiance was pleasant
- Below parpickynickyDined on 14/3/2014The heating was not working & the restaurant was cold. I would have appreciated a call in advance to tell me this. I didn't take my coat off all evening. One of our party was late but we arrived at 7.40, ordered at 8.20 & got our meal at 9.15. Bit late & we were cold!
- Sunday lunchBusheyBabeDined on 2/3/2014Nice place, but rather crowded (fair enough it was Sunday Lunch) with tables a bit too close together. Food excellent. Service delightful, with friendly happy helpful staff.Special Features:
- Great LunchMikelDined on 23/2/2014Really good meal. We had concerns before going due to some poor reviews - but food & service very good. We would go again.Special Features:
- PleasedDijaDined on 14/2/2014First time in the restaurant. Very pleased with staff, attentive, friendly. Food good quality. We had a good time. Although we felt a bit squashed as tables were so close to each other. Nonetheless, highly recomended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Lunch at The HareJT74VIPDined on 9/2/2014Having visited The Hare at Old Redding a couple of times now, I am more than impressed by the quality of the Sunday Lunch served. Much better than normal pub fare! All Roasts are served with Roast Potatoes, a Huge Yorkshire and Jus alongside a medley of seasonal vegetables. All cooked perfectly with a bit of crunch. Last visit I had the belly pork and this time the loin of beef, both cooked on the rare side and tender. Beautiful! Service can be slightly slow as they get busy, but to be honest I prefer that to being rushed.Special Features:
- DeliciousLinlipDined on 8/2/2014Visited The Hare many times. The food is delicious and service attentive. They were very good at catering for a 4 year old's taste.Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodPippaTDined on 7/2/2014The food had a great choice including a good vegetarian selection. Spoilt for choice on all course, great seasonal food sourced locally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were a party of three and12placestoeatDined on 31/1/2014We were a party of three and all of us enjoy our food. The food was great! My husband, particularly, loved his starter. Overall we had a very good service and the price was right for the quality of food we ate. Would definitely recommend it!Special Features:
- excellent local restaurantMallyDined on 18/1/2014very good service, ambience and food. look forward to going back in summer to eat outdoors!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday celebrationSmithyDined on 4/1/2014Great atmosphere & good menu choices. May have liked side-order of vegetables. Food excellent- well prepared & presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, reasonable pricehaymandrumDined on 27/12/2013We went for our second visit to the Hare immediately after Christmas, and they were still running the set Christmas menu. Good choice of food - all cooked well and some interesting ideas.. Pleasant decor and atmosphere, although quite quiet when we went. Not cheap, but good value for what it was, and the food was certainly above the average for this area.Special Features:
- Boxing Day delightRobGrantDined on 26/12/2013I took my mum for a buffet style meal and enjoyed the whole experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unsatisfactory eveningjennyDined on 14/12/2013The Hare mus,t improve for the cost it is awful. We choose the Xmas dinner, the turkey was dry, you could of played football with the sprouts, we sent them back, and the rest of the dinner was just about ok. They didnt have dessert spoons and asked if we could use soup spoons however the crumble resembled slop and we couldnt eat it.
- Food could have been warmer4foodDined on 8/12/2013It seemed as though our food had been waiting, and was served on cold plates, and was not very hot when it arrived. We were hungry so we got on with it. Service ok, but main course could have been better!
- Generally an enjoyable eveningeggletDined on 7/12/2013Generally an enjoyable evening with very pleasant staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & superb customer servicehaymandrumDined on 24/11/2013We booked online for 7.00pm not realising that this was the last booking of the day as they don't serve food on Sunday evenings. A consequence of this was that there were not many customers there, and we were restricted in the choice of roasts left on the menu, plus there were no yorkshire puddings. But the food we did have was very good, and the staff were excellent. Without any complaint or prompting by us they offered us free side dishes to make up for the lack of yorkshires, and free puddings because of the lack of choice on the menu. We will definitely return, but if its on a Sunday we will go earlier next time!Special Features:
- Local Sunday LunchBeansyVIPDined on 24/11/2013Very friendly, efficient service. Opted for traditional roast - pork on this occasion. The only disappointment was that the apple sauce was not homemade. Celeriac and apple soup very refreshing. Perfect for a special occasion or just a simple, reasonably priced, non-fussy Sunday lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerKatherineDined on 18/11/2013Lovely meal, food and service. Would have be really really lovely if a tad busier for better atmosphere as we went on a Monday night so very quiet. Would go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening, our secondJenniDined on 9/11/2013Lovely evening, our second visit in as many weeks & we were definitely not disappointed. Great food & the staff are all wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thorough enjoyable!SW10Dined on 9/11/2013Had a Saturday lunch with friends here, the Hare had listened to my request for easy access to the table for my elderly mum. The food was extremely good, and value for money. We had three courses and a few drinks, all for reasonable cost. Loved the ambience as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentLeskenDined on 7/11/2013We were highly recommended to this Gastropub, but were also informed that the staff had recently changed, including the chef. Well, regrettably, the new chef is clueless. My burger was plain, without any flavour or normal accoutrements, such as ketchup or onions etc. McDonalds is better. My wife's sirloin steak was fatty and the "double cooked" chips were bland, stodgy and tasteless. Our companions first bite on her filleted sea bass, filled her mouth with a bunch of bones! Pleased to leave and will never go back!
- Excellent value for moneyRobGrantDined on 3/11/2013I hadn't been to The Hare for over 20 years - I was very impressed at the range of food available on the menu as well as the prices - I am looking forward to going back in the New Year- the service was quietly efficientSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I usually love the hare butLocalDined on 26/10/2013I usually love the hare but found the new menu a bit bland. How can you not have a chocolate desert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Following a poor experienceESGRDined on 19/10/2013Following a poor experience last year, I thought we would give The Hare another try. This time we were sat at a table right by a large group of people who were at the bar all evening. The noise became louder and louder as the evening progressed and we felt quite 'closed in' while we were eating our meal. The table we were sat at should not have been offered as part of the restaurant - it was away from the other diners and the manager could have asked the people at the bar to move more to the side - they were actually getting in the way of his waiting staff. The level of service also dropped towards the end of the evening. I would not give The Hare another try.
- Choice, Quality, Atmosphere, Stafflwpch00Dined on 16/10/2013Made welcome and excellent range of choice, and,although not exactly as published on-line, the menu and specials were a delight, pleasing all of the people all of the time. Good selection for each course, served hot and together for our group of six, good atmosphere and attentive staff. Will go there again, mouth watering already!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 88 reviews are from the The Hare reviews archive.
- DisappointedTrevDined on 22/9/2013My Wife and I booked the Hare on top table . The available times suggested a limited amount of spaces left and led us to believe it was a busy restaurant . On arrival only two other tables were occupied . The Menu was a limited Sunday Menu which was not made clear on the bookings site . The waiting staff were young but a mistake with the wine order did nothing to instill confidence . The starters were a mix , my mackerel pate was great , my wife's bruschetta was passable . We both chose the Duck Roast , the duck and sauce were great but spoiled by undercooked beans and broccoli and over cooked roast potatoes ( which we pointed out to the waiting staff ) . The desserts were the saving grace and really nice .
- family dinnerfamilynightDined on 14/9/2013We wanted a nice family dinner and The Hare delivered. Very good service. We booked in advance and told them we were a family. They put us in the perfect spot. I would go back and take others too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A star performance!HappyeaterDined on 31/8/2013The Hare is a unique place for celebrating special occasions. All ages are welcomed and catered for. Nothing is too much trouble. Service is definitely 'with a smile' . You leave the restaurant having been made to feel special. If you want good food, which can be enjoyed in a 'home from home' atmosphere and won't cost you the earth to enjoy, I recommend The Hare. Make sure you book your table in advance because it is becoming a really well known place for sociable gatherings. We have celebrated 2 special family occasions recently. We reserved a table in advance and were glad we had or most probably wouldn't have got a booking. Christmas is coming soon! Why not get a table booked?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hare cursingFidofifiDined on 30/8/2013Started badly. Given a grubby paper menu with Chefs rude annotations inc need to realign pricing! He's honest at least, way too expensive for what it is. Which wouldn't matter if the food was outstanding. It's not. The Oriental duck starter was too sweet, almost inedible. An over adventurous effort by Chef. A mushroom and garlic herb soup was okay. For mains a reasonable steak, not difficult, but at £18 for a sirloin it should be good. But the fish and chips left a lot to be desired Not even homemade chips, soggy batter. Service was embarrassing, must have been amateur night. Nice beer garden and nice dining room, if a little cramped. But wouldn't go back until they improve the fayre and implement the Chefs pricing realignment
- Good choice of menuAnnonymousDined on 19/8/2013The menu was extensive with a lot of variety. Nice service, nice atmosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local eatingsukiDined on 15/8/2013We first ate here with a group, came back for an evening meal and then for lunch. The same menu each time so would have to space out our visits otherwise would become boring. Everything was fine for a local restaurant except that like so many places, it is extremely noisy if there are more than a few people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner experienceTopmogDined on 7/8/2013Excellent restaurant. Good service and food. Also great for taking out the older relative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.