The Hunny Bell
The Green, Hunworth
BritishPrice: £25 and under
The Hunny Bell
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hunnybell.co.uk/
- Phone: 01263712300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00PM - 2:00PM; Sunday: 12:00PM - 2:30PM,
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00PM- 9:00PM; Sunday: 6:30PM - 8:30PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Executive Chef: Andy Snowling
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The barn and conservatory can be hired out privately. You can have rivate dining, buffet, dancing, band, or used for business conference meetings.
- Private Party Contact: Daniel Watt 01263712300
- Entertainment: Seasonal weekend bands and groups play. Visit our website for dates and information.
A word from The Hunny Bell
The Hunny Bell is a beautiful pub that was established in 1836. It sits on the green in the picturesque village of Hunworth, 2 miles south of the North Norfolk town of Holt. The hunny bell has a traditional beamed main bar area and cosy snug, recently restored to create a pub which retains it's historic character with upgraded facilities including a new kitchen and diasbled access to the barn and conservatory restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Hunny Bell reviews from OpenTable diners
- We had a great sunday lunch.PetesMeatDined on 30/12/2012We had a great sunday lunch. Atmosphere was excellent and will definatly go again. Very lucky to have the Hunny Bell as one of our locals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingplomDined on 15/12/2012This used to be one of our favourite places to eat. We heard that the pub had changed ownership but that the chef and staff remained the same. I cannot believe the chef was the same. We were very disappointed. The ambience had so changed. The menu had changed from interesting and unusual food that was very well presented and cooked, to a very pedestrian average and somewhat overpriced pub menu. The service was good but the food was poor and we will not go again.
- A good experienceThursfordgourmetsDined on 7/12/2012Good food, good wine, good prices. We only visit this area for the Thursford Spectacular once a year, but we will definitely be back to dine with you again next year.Special Features:
- DisappointmentizzyaDined on 22/11/2012After the good experiences at The Wildebeest and Mackingtosh's Canteen we were looking forward to the Hunny Bell. However, of the four of us who had lunch only one considered it to be good value for money. With the exception of the venison and the battered fish the rest of the meals all appeared to have been pre-prepared and simply micro-waved. The chicken pie was that awful presentation of a pot with a separate pie crust of flaky pastry placed on top. The "seasonal green" vegetables with the chicken pie turned out to be fine green beans, probably from Kenya and certainly not seasonal for Norfolk in November. The "Gloucester Sausage" looked most unappetizing and was too big.
- Special birthday.Malt8boyDined on 17/11/2012A really enjoyable meal to celebrate a special birthday each course was delicious with friendly and unobtrusive staff where we could relax and enjoy a wonderful evening. 4 steaks cooked identically, venison haunch that melted in the mouth with all the other dishes being perfect. A big thank you and well done to the chefs.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningmjw1961Dined on 29/9/2012A group of 6 of us booked last minute on a Saturday and got a table for 6.30 The staff were very friendly and helpfull with a good knowledge of the menu. The menu was varied and had interesting dishes on offer. The food we had was very good not disappointing in any way. The restaurant had a good lively atmosphere. We would happily recommend this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special eveningluvgdfoodDined on 24/8/2012Beautifully referbed gastro pub. Prices not cheap £25 each for starter and main interesting food for example I had lobster and samphire (devine). service professional and unobtrusive. can't wait for a return visit to try some different dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night outDebyDined on 31/7/2012Went out with group of girlfriends for a meal, enjoyed great service and food. We all loved our evening at the Hunny Bell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Hunny Bell never disappoints.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 20/7/2012The Hunny Bell never disappoints. Great service, good menu, lovely ambiance and possibly the most delicious cheescake with peanut butter icecream ever.Special Features:
- Great Evening With FriendsRustyDined on 14/7/2012Booked on day of meal easily through Toptable. Good location and setting. Food and service great - will go definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Food but Good Service.BonVivantofNorwichDined on 24/6/2012The service and ambience were good although my guest and I were placed next to a noisy party of theatricals who clearly thought the whole restaurant should know who they were - bores- is the answer. We both ordered the Sunday lunch. My guest had the pork and I had beef. The meat was beautiful but the roast potatoes had obviously been reheated and were dreadful. Some vegetables were overcooked and the others virtually raw (No, they were not al dente). My Yorkshire pudding looked wonderful and was tasteless as was the gravy. I left half my meal and my guest ate hers out of politeness to me. She had a Eton Mess for dessert something one can hardly "mess up". Hard to believe this restaurant is in the same Group as "The Wilderbeest".
- SUNDAY LUNCHJandJDined on 3/6/2012Superb starters, excellent roast beef and pork and lovely fresh vegetables - but oh dear, the Yorkshires were like leather, and the roast potatoes were dry and tasteless. Pity - because the desserts were also superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing meal for a great pricepercyDined on 2/6/2012Really good food, well priced. The lobster was fantastic.Special Features:
- Traditional Norfolk Village and pubtallulahDined on 27/5/2012Hunworth is a pristine Norfolk Village and the "Hunny Bell " is a delightful village pub where you can enjoy good quality food in the traditional bar or the light and airy restaurant extension.Sunday Lunch is excellent.Special Features:
- Very welcoming and attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2012Very welcoming and attentive staff. The food was prepared and served nicely and the waiting times were not excessive. A nice selection of wines - the Rioja that we had was very good. Prices were not excessive by today's standards and overall we shall be using the Hunny Bell again.Special Features:
- The Hunny Bell, Hunworth isStopperDined on 5/5/2012The Hunny Bell, Hunworth is a refurbished, traditional-style pub with a modern restaurant extension. Unfortunately when we were there a faulty pipe meant that waste beer was seeping into the pub - an awful smell. The food in the restaurant was nice, but the side veg was very bland. We were served by a number of different people, one of whom was miserable, and we were never made aware of any specials. Recommend the fish n chips, smoked mackerel starter, assiette of chocolate dessert.
- Been three times for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 24/4/2012Been three times for lunch with parents, lovely relaxing atmopshere, friendly staff, very good food and Wherry!Special Features:
- Nice ambience and friendlyTattyDined on 21/4/2012Nice ambience and friendly staff. Food quality was good, though the range of mains was limited, but I suppose this is better than a huge range which don't come up to scratch. Would go there again.
- We felt the quality of theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 19/4/2012We felt the quality of the main course (duck leg and the chicken) was not up to the excellent standard of the starter or dessert.
- The food was good and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2012The food was good and the service fair and would have been good if they had not got one of the orders wrong. However, this was corrected reasonably quickly but it did mean the the other 3 diners had to start without the fourth dinner. Not ideal, and was put down to a system failure, whatever that was.
- On arrival we found ourselvesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 29/3/2012On arrival we found ourselves in the bar. I said we had a reservation to the barman but there was no indication that had been registered or where our table might be. So we sat on the bar stools and had a drink. Eventually I asked a waitress who was passing and we were shown to a table in the restaurant. The atmosphere in the bar had been a lot warmer and it would have been quite nice to have been offered the choice of having a table there. It was a Thursday night and it was not busy. Overall the service was adequate but nothing special- maybe we caught them on not such a good night. However the food was outstanding. We shared starters - a delicious salad, garlic bread and olives - but the idea of sharing seemed to slightly throw th
- We have been several timesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 29/3/2012We have been several times with friends and will continue to visit in the futureSpecial Features:
- Was in bar as we had smallOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 25/3/2012Was in bar as we had small dog with us. Staff very professional and friendly. Beer excellent. I had a roast beef Sunday lunch. It was very nice. Could have done with another slice of beef thoughSpecial Features:
- I regularly dine at the HoneybellOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 22/3/2012I regularly dine at the Honeybell and always find the atmosphere exceptionally convial and relaxing . The level of personal attention is great and I even had a telephone call prior to dining to tell me that my favorite wine was not available so I could bring my own bottle for a small corkage charge ( which was not charge in the event anyway ).Special Features:
- Food disappointing; well belowOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 21/3/2012Food disappointing; well below the Hunny Bell's usual standard.
- Fantastic FindOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 18/3/2012The beef is the best in the county and always reliable quality. The selection of vegetarian food is great too. Its good that local produce is used (and now there is even their own veg garden). The bar has a great ambience, the staff extremely welcoming and attentive and its a place to return to - not just for treats but as a regular. Highly recommended. Well done!Special Features:
- Had a lovely experience, foodST220Dined on 10/3/2012Had a lovely experience, food and service were superb, only issue was the noise, a couple of groups in there and the noise level was way too high for a restaurant of that stature.Special Features:
- Ate lunch in bar area of restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2012Ate lunch in bar area of restaurant as was very cosy and warm on a miserable wet day. Food excellent- particularly cheese souffle. Service very friendly and efficient. Definitely on our list of places to go back to and try more dishes on menu.Special Features:
- The portions were too largeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/3/2012The portions were too large especially Sunday roast. Plate piled high with far too many vegetables. Dried up potatoes, Yorkshire puddings and parsnips as ŵe did not eat till 2.30 and food had obviously been kept warm since first service. Vegetarian dishes good.
- Very disappointed on my recentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 26/2/2012Very disappointed on my recent visit with friend to the Hunny Bell. I am not sure whether the chef was off or if indeed they have changed chef, but the food was not up to much. Have been a fan of this pub for a few years, and indeed, I have recommended it to literally hundreds of clients and friends as this used to be my favorite place to eat. Will not be doing so again. Such a shame as the ambiance,and setting is fantastic. Serving/ waiting staff is the only redeeming factor.
- Great place to get together!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 25/2/2012Delicious food-great place for friends to get together to enjoy good food & wine! It was nice to finish the evening in the bar area to chat over one last drink! This was my fourth or fifth visit! Love the decor & ambience!Special Features:
- The Hunny Bell is exactlyFCAhoundVIPDined on 15/2/2012The Hunny Bell is exactly what a good pub with food should be. It's a good pub to start with and the food is excellent, too. Great atmosphere (I like to eat in the bar area to get the best of that) and super friendly staff. I will be going here for many yearsto come...
- WE FOUND THE RESTARANT UPOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 14/2/2012WE FOUND THE RESTARANT UP TO THE HIGH STANDARD OF ALL THE ANIMAL INNS.Special Features:
- we were disappointed withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 14/2/2012we were disappointed with the service, this was about 5th time we had been.Had to remind staff I had ordered a lemonade prior to lunch then my soup arrived with no soup spoon,one member of the party ordered olives as a starter which surely should have included some bread or toast. I am sure we have had olives in the bar with bread as a starter also the toad in the hole was FLAT, should be like a yorkshire pudding,which have always been large and well risen.Special Features:
- Lovely lunch, were onlyonesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/2/2012Lovely lunch, were onlyones in restaurant which was nice as we have a baby and felt like private dining!Special Features:
- Tempted by nearly everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/2012Tempted by nearly everything on the menu.In the end a first class Sunday roast enjoyed by all our party.Special Features:
- Our first time at the HunnyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/2/2012Our first time at the Hunny Bell, and definitely not our last. Our only gripe would be a confused start to the evening when we were left in the bar with menus until we finally asked if someone was coming, it seems everyone thought we were being dealt with by someone else... That aside the food was excellent, the service attentive and well paced and the evening was a great success. The restaurant was only half full at the most so it was quiet, although it didn't echo like some places do. Portions are generous, so don't eat much for breakfast or lunch. Highly recommended and worth the potentially traumatic search for the right way down narrow lanes.Special Features:
- the evening was a christmasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 27/1/2012the evening was a christmas present for our daughter and boyfriend we had been previously and enjoyed We had a lovely evening and very nice meal we will most certainly be coming againSpecial Features:
- very warm on a cold nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 24/1/2012very warm on a cold night when 2 of our party had been working outdoors most of the day-small lounge next to kitchen very pleasant but door does make frequent loud BANGS as staff visit kitchenSpecial Features:
- A 'must visit' for good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 17/1/2012This lovely country pub simply oozes foodie passion. Andy Snowling the head chef leads a team who are friendly, efficient and want to serve you the very best they can produce. I love eating at the Hunny Bell!Special Features: