The India Restaurant
21 College Hill
London, EC4R 2RPNeighbourhood:
IndianPrice: £25 and under
The India Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://theindia.foodkingdom.com/
- Phone: 02072485855
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri: 11:30am - 3:00pm, 5:30pm - 11:00pm Sat: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The India Restaurant
For an atmospheric Indian meal only a stone’s throw from London’s Cannon Street station, The India restaurant delivers every time. This snug 'n' cosy restaurant is set entirely underground in a series of three dining rooms each decorated individually with whitewashed vaulted ceilings and comfy leather chairs, and the intimate setting is perfect for dinner parties and celebrations. Popular with City types, commuters and curry-lovers alike, The India has an extensive menu which features classic curries such as jalfrezies and balti masalas, and the restaurant's signature dish is the thali – a selection of traditional dishes presented in small bowls on a round tasting platter. The chef prides himself on creating classic renditions of the subcontinent’s most exclusive gastronomy – Vintage Indian cuisine. Unobtrusive, seamless service is the byword here. It’s no surprise that The India is busy at lunch and with an after-work crowd, and has a popular private dining room for events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Value
The India Restaurant - Best restaurants in Bank ›
The India Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since 23 October 2013
group bookings (59)business meals (52)good vegetarian options (38)special occasions (36)romance (32)outstanding value (23)fit for foodies (22)pre/post theatre (21)brunch (4)child friendly (2)outdoor eating (2)Show More
- Excellent value for moneyMrk279Dined on 10/10/2014We enjoyed a wonderful meal, which was excellent value for money. We all left very satisfied and stuffed.Special Features:
- Very good serviceswkcDined on 7/10/2014The service at the India Restaurant was very good. The waiter and I had a missunderstanding as to the starters we ordered. He almost immediately agreed to replace what was served to us with thec starters we wanted. We wanted some of the curries we ordered to be extra spicey and hot and the waiter said he will speak to the chef and sure enough they were deliciously hot. We asked for a bowl of curry sauce as we like lots of sauce with our nan, chapati and paratha. We were given a bowl of Madras curry sauce free of charge! The food was very good and the paratha was exceptonally good and resembled the Malaysia Roti Chenai we missed. The bill with 30% discount was very good value for money. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great Venue - Mild foodThamesviewDined on 2/10/2014The venue is terrific in the old cellars towards the river. It can easily accommodate a largish party and it is possible to talk without the dreadful piped music of so many places. On the other hand there are plenty of 2 person tables that are not stacked one of top of each other. Service could be a little more attentive. The food is more Masala than Vindaloo and so don't anticipate a taste explosionSpecial Features:
- AJAJDined on 30/9/2014Booked a table at the India Restaurant on the OpenTable 30% offer. Dined with two mains and two side dishes (as well as the usual breads etc) but was told when paying the bill that the offer was not valied as we did not have two mains and two starters. Would have been nice to have been told when ordering or shown a bit of flexibility as we had two side dishes (one of which was on the starter menu). Waiter was also very uninterested when taking our oder and serving.
- PleasureSloanieVIPDined on 22/9/2014A little gem underneath the streets of London. Take advantage of the 50% discount.Special Features:
- Excellent locationdeckleDined on 11/9/2014My partner and I celebrated our anniversary here, it was a surprise and I think The India's design built on it - it's dressed as a traditional English pub but cheekily winds into a hip network of tunnels with nothing publike about it. Service was sensational, we had a very eager waiter who checked up on us throughout the night without feeling overbearing. The papadums (which were already impressive) came with great dips - of note were the raita and mango chutney. The mixed platter was a winner, with the lamb a standout. The pilau rice, pashwari naan (baked fresh), butter chicken and paneer jalfrezy were master class. My Blue Moon cocktail was a slight letdown - it didn't really highlight its elements. Overall, we had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice placeSteJDined on 9/9/2014nice restaurant, nice environment. no complaints at all
- Delicious food and friendly serviceLazerDined on 9/9/2014A really good find, tucked away in a side-street. Great for lunch in the city, and seemed to be particularly popular with workers in nearby Japanese financial institutions. We had a 2pm booking, arrived a little early but that was absolutely fine. The service was prompt and polite, and very helpful. Good quality food, nicely cooked and very tasty. Would have no hesitation in recommending.Special Features:
- daviephiVIPDined on 1/9/2014not bad food at all i have had better Indian food but I have had a lot lot worse...
- Great Value and foodmicheywiggs1975Dined on 16/8/2014We went for the 50% off food option booked on top table. We turned up after a day out sightseeing in London with our 3 year old. Although the staff were child friendly the restaurant itself wasnt as you had to go down narrow winding stairs which isnt easy with a pushchair. Apart from that though the restaurant was lovely. The staff were great and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average IndianMonsterMunchDined on 14/8/2014Food was OK but for the price I would say average (at best!) There are better (food and value wise) places to get an Indian meal in the City - even better if you want to venture to the East End side (...it's not too far away and definitely worth it compared to this 'westernised Indian food’ experience)! Overall I would say it was only OK. If you are in the area and don't want to go to far then it's adequate but too expensive for what you get.Special Features:
- good city curryVeniceDined on 12/8/2014good place - well hidden, food very prompt - portion size just right, not too heaveSpecial Features:
- Great Indian food in Central LondonAnonDined on 9/8/2014Paneer is amazing, as was the chicken Nawabi. Been here a few times, always good and the open table 50% off food makes it even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good currywelshieVIPDined on 1/8/2014The India is always good, and didn't disappoint. Love the setup underground. Service was very efficient and friendly. If you like curry, then this is a great spot.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysLondonDined on 25/7/2014The India never disappoints, lovely food, a really outstanding indian.Special Features:
- AverageJasiDined on 17/7/2014We went for an early dinner prior to watching Shakespeare at The Globe. Location-wise it was perfect and within walking distance (about 10 mins. We ordered the butter chicken, dahl and lamb strips (can't remember the sauce). The lamb was average and a bit on the sweet side. The dahl was one of the worst I've eaten and not very tasty. The butter chicken was good, but it's hard to get that dish wrong. The rice and bread were good and fresh. Overall the experience was only OK. Too expensive for what you get and a very westernised Indian food experience.
- Good place, small portionsFoodieDined on 25/6/2014Great ambience, good service. Food is average - not bad, not so good. There's better Indian menus out there. Drinks are good esp the non-alcoholic cocktails. Go for proximity to the City (if you work there) and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good qualityhattorihanzoDined on 16/6/2014For a restaurant based in The City, I was impressed at how nice the food was and how the service was. We have 50% off food, with that then its very good value but otherwise for two people our bill would have been £100. The lighting was a bit too low, I had to use my phone to see the menu, otherwise I definitely recommend going, regardless of budget (although if watching money just don't get any alcohol).Special Features:
- Great FoodGastronomicaVIPDined on 13/6/2014Really a hidden secret, the food never disappoints. And they even showed the world cup at this time, good service and been many times before, with the toptable deal, one of the best indians in the city!Special Features:
- good experience againfrenchfoodieDined on 7/6/2014I took my cousins there for their first ever taste of indian cuisine. My cousin is a vegetarian and her partner is Mr fussy. They all enjoyed the food very much, plenty for them to choose from and they had a smile on their face when they left. It's very good value for money, the staff is friendly, attentive yet not annoying. defo an address in my little book whenever I am in that area.Special Features:
- Great goodyummyscrumyDined on 2/6/2014Really good best place to eat after work In London I keep coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- plumb1splumb1Dined on 31/5/2014Good service, great food, 50% off food which was an added bonus. Very intimate. Great for any occasion, give it a go, you wont be dissatisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, hidden gem in the cityTomoVIPDined on 23/5/2014Very good as always. Food excellent, good value (plus 30% discount despite it being a Friday). Staff are always welcoming and attentive (without being intrusive). Would recommend for either smaller dinners or big groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice work curryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 21/5/2014Cracking food. Had my standard test of a dhansak, very nice although was fairly expensive even with a 30% discount.Special Features:
- Very Nice IndeedAvidfoodieDined on 16/5/2014My husband and I live in Paris now but really miss a decent 'British' Indian. The food here was very good it was hot, fresh and the service was spot on. Quite a whacky venue in the cellar but largely my eyes were on the cuisine. I would recommend it and definitely go againSpecial Features:
- Not going again because of staffIndianfoodloverDined on 10/5/2014We (2 couples) decided to try The India primarily because it showed up at the top on Opentable being close to Bank station and also it had 50% off. It was one of those days when we were after a regular Indian, not a fancy high end restaurant. On reaching the place we were pleasantly surprised by the overall decor and courteous staff. However,as soon as mentioned about the 50% off offer their attitude changed slightly and they went to discuss with the manager. On of them then picked up the complimentary poppadums he had placed on our table only to place them back after removing half of them. I found this rude and very bad customer service. Not going there again as I'd rather pay more and eat at a restaurant that treats customers with respect
- Enjoyable mealAnonDined on 9/5/2014Enjoyed a Friday evening meal. Good service, well spiced food. Prices could be a little lower.
- good place and good valuefrenchfoodieDined on 2/5/2014Lot of choice...a la carte, set menus, chef specials. however if you book the -30% off food, then you can't pick from the set menus. The restaurant is underground and the ceiling is shaped like that of a cellar. Whilst it has its charm it means the place becomes very noisy very quickly. We went there on a Friday evening, for dinner, and although the place was far from full when we arrived, we were very uncomfortable with the surrounding noise. We told the staff and they moved us to a table closer to the entrance, and we were glad we asked, as the noise would have ruined the experience. We were 4 adults with 2 kids. one bad thing is that is was too dark where we first sat, reading the menu was a challenge in that light..Special Features:
- Great Foodluv2dineVIPDined on 2/5/2014Great restaurant, completely unexpected for the location but really good food - much better than any restaurant on Brick Lane. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and Servicefozzie63VIPDined on 25/4/2014Excellent Food and Service and good value with the 30% discount offer.
- Hidden gemAngieDined on 19/4/2014Though the restaurant is off the track and offered 50% off food we were positively surprised by it's food quality. The variety on the venue and selection of dishes was excellent and all we tasted (platter) was delicious and cooked well. Portions were also very good.Special Features:
- Great curryRoadDined on 17/4/2014Really good food in pleasant environment and friendly staff. Definitely recommendedSpecial Features:
- BuzzbeeDined on 16/4/2014Wouldn't have discovered this had it not been for Toptable. Excellent meal, good service - and a 30% off food offer made it very good value. Will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met Expectations as AlwaysAdamDined on 15/4/2014I have been here several times now and it never lets me down. One of the best curries at a restaurant in London. Great for after work dinner or a night out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JY05Dined on 10/4/2014The India is consistent with decent food and service. Portion sizes have somewhat reduced but still satisfactory.Special Features:
- Great FoodMrsHDined on 9/4/2014I've visited The India several times and it never fails to deliver on the food - great flavours and plenty of it !Special Features:
- Brilliant as usual, extremelyJoneseyDined on 5/4/2014Brilliant as usual, extremely tasty, a real treat.Special Features:
- Brilliant service and extremelyJoneseyDined on 22/3/2014Brilliant service and extremely tasty food every time we visit, highly recommend.Special Features:
- Double DelightScottyDined on 20/3/2014Having discovered this restaurant on Top Table, I have now eaten there twice in the past two weeks. The food is delicious, full of flavours rather than heat. The service was friendly and efficient. Our waiter remembered me on our second visit, which is the sign of good service. Forget Brick Lane and head for The India if you want an exceptionally good Indian meal.Special Features:
- Have been here several timesGoveramaDined on 17/3/2014Have been here several times and never had a disappointing meal. It's always the place requested to go to when we have ex-pats visiting. Food is great and service very efficient whether you are a couple or group it make no difference. Onion bhajees divine, along with everything else on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.