The Living Room - Edinburgh
113-115 George Street
Edinburgh, EH2 4JNNeighbourhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: £25 and under
The Living Room - Edinburgh
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.thelivingroom.co.uk/
- Phone: 0131 226 0880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Sunday 12:00PM-5:00PM; Dinner: Monday-Sunday 5:00PM-10.30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Comfort Food, Fusion / Eclectic
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi private dining, group bookings available for up to 200 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Nicola Melrose 01312260880
- Entertainment: Live musicians from 8:00PM - 10:00PM Thursday to Saturday and 2:00PM to 4:30PM Sunday.
A word from The Living Room - Edinburgh
At The Living Room our focus remains on sourcing the best quality ingredients, preparing them simply and delivering bags of flavour and texture on the plate. This is good, honest, robust and stylish food with its origins firmly in the European tradition with international touches. There is nothing frilly or fancy. Small plates - such as wok fried edmame beans or Italian olives – allow for casual snacking while sandwiches and salads enable one-course, easy and casual dining. All-day opening is designed to facilitate easy access and reinforces a core ethos behind The Living Room; you, the customer, is the one empowered to make decisions and we want to make it as easy as possible for you to do that, enjoy it and be comfortable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasions
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Living Room - Edinburgh - Best restaurants in Edinburgh ›
The Living Room - Edinburgh reviews from OpenTable diners
259 reviews since 28 November 2013
special occasions (116)group bookings (92)romance (76)pre/post theatre (73)business meals (58)fit for foodies (54)sunday lunch (41)outstanding value (38)brunch (36)good vegetarian options (21)afternoon tea (21)disabled access (13)child friendly (12)outdoor eating (2)Show More
- Birthday DinnerPhunter83Dined on 23/11/2014my wife and I travelled through to Edinburgh as part of her 30th celebrations, the date we travelled was also the Christmas Lights switch on so thought best to pre book a table for dinner although when we arrived our booking wasn't on their system even though I had two confirmation emails, the restaurant was pretty empty come night time as the crowds had dispersed so we got seated no problem, but because of the busy afternoon there was a number of things missing from the menu but sill enough of an option to satisfy us. We both had 3 courses and a bottle of wine from the al acarte menu, think the bill was around £70 which wasn't too bad considering I had a steak. Overall would recommend this venue for dinner, the booths add a touch of class to the restaurant,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal in enjoyable settingBertieBDined on 21/11/2014First time visit to the Edinburgh branch of The Living Room and we were not disappointed. Good food and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and drinks!LizzyannDined on 15/11/2014My husband and I were in Edinburgh for the weekend and had booked online. We were taken straight to our table and offered drinks. Lovely menu I had fish cakes to start my husband had chicken skewers. Both gorgeous!!! We both had rib eye for main. Both cooked perfectly although mine was a little fattier than my husband's. Didn't have pudding as we'd had enough to eat. All round had a great night!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good experienceTLREDIDined on 8/11/2014Arrived early. Got seated promptly. Drinks and food ordered within 5mins. Starter was perhaps a touch on small side (teriyaki chicken skewers) - 3 thinly sliced bits of chicken on a pinch of rocket - could have ate the whole thing in 2 mouthful, main was pretty good, better portion size for money (gressingham chicken breast). The beef? and ale pie was also really nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday mealLovetoeatoutDined on 8/11/2014We were seated straight away, no waiting. Drinks brought quickly, friendly staff. Food was delicious and arrived very quickly for a Saturday night.Special Features:
- Food great, wait at startesjas12Dined on 6/11/2014Had to hang around for 3 or 4 minues before anyone came to provide a table.Special Features:
- Good pre theatre venueDisappointedDined on 1/11/2014Booked table for a pre theatre dinner with family. Service and ambience good but to be told at 5pm, 10 mins after order was made, that one of the main items on the menu was sold out - fish and chips! - was not only a disappointment but unbelievable for a Saturday evening! That said, food once served was excellant, well presented and delicous. Certainly not cheap but worth the money, if only the menu options as stated were available...Special Features:
- Bad serviceNothebestDined on 18/10/2014Food was good, service was really bad. We were sat at a really small booth for 5 people .. We never had cutlery and sat next to a large group of loud guys. We were served our drinks which we asked for bottles of tonic instead of daft and it came daft tonic. The mains came which 2 people of our party had fish and chips. But 1 was served with a empty bowl on the plate which they had forgot the peas. Then we order desert and a gin and tonic which we never got. It was an all over bad experence.Special Features:
- Fabulous!!KimmyfrazDined on 18/10/2014Love this place!! Service was a little slow! Cocktails and food was amazing! Definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simmy58Dined on 18/10/2014Could not fault the service, waitresses very attentive and friendly and nothing was to much bother for them. We have eaten here a few times when in Edinburgh and have always enjoyed it.Special Features:
- hubby 50th50thDined on 17/10/2014Booked this restaurant as we love the glasgow one. Not dissapointed. Fab as ever. Food superb .ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceFrasersDined on 11/10/2014Dinner for four on a Saturday night, good atmosphere, good service, good food.Special Features:
- food goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014Food good but head waiter lacking in customer skills very rude. Our waitress was lovely and not pushy but some was collecting our drinks glasses before we had finished them! We had booked month before but got the sit here or dont then scenerio!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for dinnerjamesjbrDined on 11/10/2014Lovely setting inside, food was very good, I do find it slightly pricey but for the area it occupies I guess that is reasonable. Will most likely be back again.Special Features:
- We went pre theatreFoxiladyDined on 11/10/2014My friends and I went for a early dinner as we were going to the theatre and could not fault the meal or service. Would have liked the restaurant to be a bit busier but the time of day was to be expected, at the other side bar area was busy.I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing cocktailsCarrieDined on 11/10/2014Good food and cocktails to die for, what more can you ask (place is really nice too).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyoccasionaleaterDined on 3/10/2014We went here for my birthday and we're glad we did. The food was delicious although I did mention to the staff that the chips were a bit overdone. It was reasonably priced, not as expensive as we thought it would be. Would recommend if you're looking for somewhere nice for a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its okayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 27/9/2014I went with a party of four and in fairness they didn't have this issue, but I ordered something off the menu (the lamb - not cheap) and the portion size was so small we all had to almost laugh when it came to the table. Obviously I was finished eating far before anyone else and still quite hungry. I ordered a cheese board for dessert, hoping that may help and it was double the price of all the other puddings, however again didn't feel it was a generous portion at all for £10! I don't think its particularly good value for money. I'm not a large eater and still found this the case.
- Didn't live up to expectationsMakeamealDined on 23/9/2014We dined here for our daughters 18th birthday and it was a bit of a let down to be honest. We waited a millennium for our drinks, (they said they were short staffed). The food came reasonably quickly though but for the price was only average. Nice enough but just average. We thought it was going to be special, that's why we chose it for such an important occasion. The young girls who were waiting the tables obviously had not been trained as they were clearing our table before everyone had finished, actually leaning over someone who was still eating to get an empty plate from someone else. Not their fault if they haven't had the training, I understand. All in all I wouldn't go back and for what they were charging I couldn't recommend either
- fun and great serviceMcCoyDined on 20/9/2014food was good, considering size of restaurant / number of covers. Wine list okay, if a bit heavy on the markups. Great service from start to finish.Special Features:
- Good restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 19/9/2014We had a dinner with my fiancee , service and food was good only the salmon was a bit watery and tasteless. We can recommend it and probably we'll be back as well .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Service, Substandard FoodMattDined on 13/9/2014Took 25 minutes to even have a drink order taken at the start of the night to be told the cocktail I had asked for couldn't happen because there was no Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey, not a big deal though. When I got my starter (Tomato, Mozzarella and Red Pepper Risoto), it had been completely over seasoned with Coriander. Probably in an attempt to give it some form of flavour. When my partner got her Pulled Pork sandwich, she found it had been seasoned with Cinnamon and 5 Spice, completely overpowering the dish. Too noisy, too much seasoning, too slow.
- Sunday dinnerRyanDined on 7/9/2014One of my favourite restaurants in Edinburgh. Nice ambience although was no Piano playing on this occasion maybe this is only on certain days? The food is always fantastic. Our starters were late as the order was missed due to a fault in the system, no compensation offered which I was disappointed with as this seems to be the norm when things like that happen. Cost was £52 for two course dinner for two with a drink. Staff are very nice and happy! I would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Lovely LunchgirlslunchDined on 31/8/2014Lovely sunday lunch, fabulous waitress who was very friendly and and made us feel extremely welcome. Food was lovely and will certainly be back.Special Features:
- Such a Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 28/8/2014I have eaten here a few times and just love the restaurant, the for and the very good service- Always something on the menu to generate interestSpecial Features:
- Dinner at the Living RoomMumstreatDined on 22/8/2014Good central location. Surprisingly roomy. Excellent service. Menu was varied and gluten free options were available. The only downside whas the noise. The background music was overpowering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good at the living roomOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/8/2014Service at the bar was shocking, not friendly at all. More smiles needed rather than grumpy faces. Food was over priced for what we got. Was expecting better quality of food for the price. Would not eat on there again but will drink.Special Features:
- Cocktails are lovely!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 16/8/2014We went for dinner at 4 pm and restaurant wasn't very busy which suited us, we did put on the booking that we would like to be seated at the front, we were seated at the rear which in the end was fine. The meal was lovely, the service was ok but a waitress forgot a couple of things. When we went to the bar for cocktails, the barman was very knowledgeable and made our favourite cocktails.Special Features:
- Nice fare at the FringeBjseeDined on 14/8/2014The Living Room in George St has a surprisingly large dining room behind a fairly small bar and lounge area - we were pleasantly surprised as we thought it might be a bit poky, but it was bright and airy. The food was good and the service friendly and efficient - the only slight negative is that the place was pretty quiet at 8pm on a Thursday during the Edinburgh Festival ( despite this we were initially put on a small table at the back when there were nicer, bigger empty tables - although we got moved when we asked). We would go back when we next visit Edinburgh, and have recommended it to some friends.Special Features:
- Great service and foodNo1foodyDined on 9/8/2014Turned up early but were shown to our table straight away and served really quickly. Apart from being just a little too warm and noisy, the food was excellent and the service combined with the waiting times could not be faulted. A great place on George St and great value for its location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great ambience,redmagsDined on 9/8/2014We booked this for a meal pre-tattoo. The staff were extremely attentive even with us arriving 30 minutes than booked time we were taken straight to our table. Food was extremely good and good value too. Cannot recommend the chocolate fondant highly enough - it was amazingSpecial Features:
- Great place to eatdennyecaDined on 8/8/2014Booked table online which was most convenient. Staff were very helpful, kind and attentive without being over bearing. The food was delicious, not the usual mundane menu and very reasonably priced, all in all a very good dining experience and somewhere I'd most definitely recommend to others.Special Features:
- Good food,lack of attentionTreciadieneDined on 2/8/2014Nice place, good food and good service! Maybe a bit pricey but food was really good. Lack of attention to details as we pre-ordered and pre-paid bottle of champagne as a surprise as it was the special occasion, unfortunately it hasnt been delivered. A bit of more communication between staff would have sorted this problem in no time. I would reccomend TLR for lunches or afternoon tea as food was really delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor second experienceLorrDined on 2/8/2014I had a lovely experience my first visit, hence returning, very poor customer service despite there only being 2 tables being attended, poor customer service at the bar and the restaurant sadly. Food was very average, the fish was tasteless with no salad served as requested, the vegetarian glamorgan sausages were nice although the mash was warm at best. The only dissappointment about my Edinburgh experience was this restaurant sadly.
- Festival 2014FestivalgoerDined on 1/8/2014Food excellent, impressed with menu choices. Nice touch to have 2/3 course set price supper menu at this time of year....most restaurants cashing in on Festival visitors and prices invariably hiked up... Very galling for those of us that are local... Decor is lovely, staff helpful. I would definitely recommend to friends and will go back again. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rubbish from start to endolimDined on 26/7/2014If I could of given it 0/5 stars I would. service was awful, food was rubbish and staff knowledge was distinctly lacking. There isn't enough space in this box to fill in everything I want to say, so I'll leave you with this. You get better service and food at your local pub!Special Features:
- Maybe ok for kidsAndrewDined on 26/7/2014Despite having a children's menu, a burger was served coated in mustard; probably not suitable for most children. On the plus side, a phone call to the restaurant said "no room" but I got a table via OpenTable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary mealstill2hungryDined on 24/7/2014We booked a table for our anniversary, ordered rump of lamb, part of it was cooked the rest of it was all gristle and not cooked properly, overall the meal was very poor value and we would not return again. The waiter on the other hand was lovely and very apologetic and refunded the price of the meal. My step daughter had also arranged for us to have an anniversary cocktail which she had organised beforehand, which we were no aware of but we didn't even receive this.Special Features:
- MediocrePollar01Dined on 19/7/2014The service was fairly slow i.e. waited 15 minutes for the Martini's. They also didn't have the wine I wanted though the alternative was nice. The rib-eye steak was the highlight of the meal but the rest of the food was average.
- cb11Dined on 18/7/2014Have eaten in the Living Room on a few occasions now and have never had any complaints about the food or the service , a very enjoyable experience on all occasionsSpecial Features: