The Living Room - Edinburgh
113-115 George Street
Edinburgh, EH2 4JNNeighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: £25 and under
The Living Room - Edinburgh
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.thelivingroom.co.uk/
- Phone: 01312260880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Sunday 12:00PM-5:00PM; Dinner: Monday-Sunday 5:00PM-10.30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Comfort Food, Fusion / Eclectic
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi private dining, group bookings available for up to 200 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Nicola Melrose 01312260880
- Entertainment: Live musicians from 8:00PM - 10:00PM Thursday to Saturday and 2:00PM to 4:30PM Sunday.
A word from The Living Room - Edinburgh
At The Living Room our focus remains on sourcing the best quality ingredients, preparing them simply and delivering bags of flavour and texture on the plate. This is good, honest, robust and stylish food with its origins firmly in the European tradition with international touches. There is nothing frilly or fancy. Small plates - such as wok fried edmame beans or Italian olives – allow for casual snacking while sandwiches and salads enable one-course, easy and casual dining. All-day opening is designed to facilitate easy access and reinforces a core ethos behind The Living Room; you, the customer, is the one empowered to make decisions and we want to make it as easy as possible for you to do that, enjoy it and be comfortable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBusiness Meals
- Diners' Choice WinnerPre/post Theatre
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasions
The Living Room - Edinburgh - Best restaurants in Edinburgh ›
The Living Room - Edinburgh reviews from OpenTable diners
266 reviews since 6 May 2014
special occasions (123)group bookings (99)romance (80)business meals (71)pre/post theatre (70)fit for foodies (61)sunday lunch (45)brunch (39)outstanding value (38)good vegetarian options (23)afternoon tea (22)disabled access (14)child friendly (12)outdoor eating (2)Show More
- Lovely LunchgirlslunchDined on 31/8/2014Lovely sunday lunch, fabulous waitress who was very friendly and and made us feel extremely welcome. Food was lovely and will certainly be back.Special Features:
- Such a Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 28/8/2014I have eaten here a few times and just love the restaurant, the for and the very good service- Always something on the menu to generate interestSpecial Features:
- Dinner at the Living RoomMumstreatDined on 22/8/2014Good central location. Surprisingly roomy. Excellent service. Menu was varied and gluten free options were available. The only downside whas the noise. The background music was overpowering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good at the living roomOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 17/8/2014Service at the bar was shocking, not friendly at all. More smiles needed rather than grumpy faces. Food was over priced for what we got. Was expecting better quality of food for the price. Would not eat on there again but will drink.Special Features:
- Cocktails are lovely!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 16/8/2014We went for dinner at 4 pm and restaurant wasn't very busy which suited us, we did put on the booking that we would like to be seated at the front, we were seated at the rear which in the end was fine. The meal was lovely, the service was ok but a waitress forgot a couple of things. When we went to the bar for cocktails, the barman was very knowledgeable and made our favourite cocktails.Special Features:
- Nice fare at the FringeBjseeDined on 14/8/2014The Living Room in George St has a surprisingly large dining room behind a fairly small bar and lounge area - we were pleasantly surprised as we thought it might be a bit poky, but it was bright and airy. The food was good and the service friendly and efficient - the only slight negative is that the place was pretty quiet at 8pm on a Thursday during the Edinburgh Festival ( despite this we were initially put on a small table at the back when there were nicer, bigger empty tables - although we got moved when we asked). We would go back when we next visit Edinburgh, and have recommended it to some friends.Special Features:
- Great service and foodNo1foodyDined on 9/8/2014Turned up early but were shown to our table straight away and served really quickly. Apart from being just a little too warm and noisy, the food was excellent and the service combined with the waiting times could not be faulted. A great place on George St and great value for its location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great ambience,redmagsDined on 9/8/2014We booked this for a meal pre-tattoo. The staff were extremely attentive even with us arriving 30 minutes than booked time we were taken straight to our table. Food was extremely good and good value too. Cannot recommend the chocolate fondant highly enough - it was amazingSpecial Features:
- Great place to eatdennyecaDined on 8/8/2014Booked table online which was most convenient. Staff were very helpful, kind and attentive without being over bearing. The food was delicious, not the usual mundane menu and very reasonably priced, all in all a very good dining experience and somewhere I'd most definitely recommend to others.Special Features:
- Good food,lack of attentionTreciadieneDined on 2/8/2014Nice place, good food and good service! Maybe a bit pricey but food was really good. Lack of attention to details as we pre-ordered and pre-paid bottle of champagne as a surprise as it was the special occasion, unfortunately it hasnt been delivered. A bit of more communication between staff would have sorted this problem in no time. I would reccomend TLR for lunches or afternoon tea as food was really delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor second experienceLorrDined on 2/8/2014I had a lovely experience my first visit, hence returning, very poor customer service despite there only being 2 tables being attended, poor customer service at the bar and the restaurant sadly. Food was very average, the fish was tasteless with no salad served as requested, the vegetarian glamorgan sausages were nice although the mash was warm at best. The only dissappointment about my Edinburgh experience was this restaurant sadly.
- Festival 2014FestivalgoerDined on 1/8/2014Food excellent, impressed with menu choices. Nice touch to have 2/3 course set price supper menu at this time of year....most restaurants cashing in on Festival visitors and prices invariably hiked up... Very galling for those of us that are local... Decor is lovely, staff helpful. I would definitely recommend to friends and will go back again. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rubbish from start to endolimDined on 26/7/2014If I could of given it 0/5 stars I would. service was awful, food was rubbish and staff knowledge was distinctly lacking. There isn't enough space in this box to fill in everything I want to say, so I'll leave you with this. You get better service and food at your local pub!Special Features:
- Maybe ok for kidsAndrewDined on 26/7/2014Despite having a children's menu, a burger was served coated in mustard; probably not suitable for most children. On the plus side, a phone call to the restaurant said "no room" but I got a table via OpenTable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary mealstill2hungryDined on 24/7/2014We booked a table for our anniversary, ordered rump of lamb, part of it was cooked the rest of it was all gristle and not cooked properly, overall the meal was very poor value and we would not return again. The waiter on the other hand was lovely and very apologetic and refunded the price of the meal. My step daughter had also arranged for us to have an anniversary cocktail which she had organised beforehand, which we were no aware of but we didn't even receive this.Special Features:
- MediocrePollar01Dined on 19/7/2014The service was fairly slow i.e. waited 15 minutes for the Martini's. They also didn't have the wine I wanted though the alternative was nice. The rib-eye steak was the highlight of the meal but the rest of the food was average.
- cb11Dined on 18/7/2014Have eaten in the Living Room on a few occasions now and have never had any complaints about the food or the service , a very enjoyable experience on all occasionsSpecial Features:
- First ImpressionFletchDined on 8/7/2014Initially no atmosphere in restaurant as we were the only 4 people there, but a noisy table of 21 arrived and the noise was so overwhelming we took our coffees and liqueurs to the bar area as we could not hear each other speak! Overall food and service good.
- An ok mealGordonRDined on 7/7/2014Enjoyed the food. An empty restaurant meant it all felt a bit, well, average. Fine service. Nice menu choices. Good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FridaynighteventerDined on 4/7/2014Supper club menu is good value. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Poor. Un-coordinated, disjointedFoodie37Dined on 3/7/2014Not good management need to get a grip on the service, both for food and wine. Train your waiters/waitresses
- amazingvalentinesDined on 3/7/2014we always go on special occasions and decided to treat ourselves on our second anniversary. the food was fantastic as was the atmosphere and the staff. great service. will defo be back xxSpecial Features:
- Nice cosy good quality mealDukeofEaelDined on 1/7/2014Very accommodating restaurant with excellent service and top quality food. The Chateaubriande was fabulous. Good for couples and partiesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet lunchRichard17Dined on 30/6/2014Two of us had lunch here recently. The restaurant is very nicely decorated and lit, but was very quiet, with only three tables occupied. The full menu and lunchtime menu contained a wide selection of dishes. My steak frites was nice, but not as pink as I was expecting, and my brother's vegetarian sausages were apparently good. We both had sticky toffee pudding, which was OK but could have been much hotter. Overall, fairly average.Special Features:
- Great foodPollyDined on 13/6/2014The food was of the highest standard however the service did not mirror this, we waited to be seated for 10 mins (it was not busy) before seeing ourselves to our seat to then discover that although the website states 2for1 cocktails Mon-fri, this is not applicable in Scotland and we were advised that if we checked the tiny small print on the website it would advise this - which we still cannot find? This was one of the main reasons we chose this restaurant on this particular Friday for a special occasion so we were understandably disheartened. If the service matched the food it would be magnificent.Special Features:
- Lovely!Katel0908Dined on 31/5/2014We had lovely fillet steak on Friday night and shared the dessert platter which was very good value. Port was delicious as was the red wine (can't remember which one!). My bottle of Peroni was not chilled but they replaced with cold draught without question and the bread and oil portion was a bit mean but they also brought us another complimentary one when we pointed it out so I have no complaints really, they sorted without question and we had a lovely night. We will both go back.Special Features:
- Sunday family mealanyexcuse1Dined on 25/5/2014enjoyed our meal we where a party which ranged in age from 7 years to 65 years and found that there was something for everyone only disappointment was there was no Sunday roast on on menu however that may have been it was 6 30 pm. Also no vanilla vodka which a cocktail and a dessert where unavailable however overall nice evening on a bank holiday weekendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 24/5/2014i would not recommend this at all one of the worst meals i have had. Service was dreadfull and food was poor quality. I plan to put a review online
- Great restaurantHard2pleaseDined on 24/5/2014I cook a lot at home so find it easy to criticise when going out for dinner, but the good was fantastic, the ambience was excellent and the decor was great, lovely evening I would go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Living Room!DrJimDined on 17/5/2014We went to the Living Room with good friends to celebrate my wife's birthday. The food was great - it's not fine dining but it's good quality, well cooked and presented nicely. The staff were really friendly and helpful and even though the restaurant was busy it didn't feel overcrowded; the live music from the bar really added to the atmosphere. We had the table from 7:30 and we were still sitting there at 11 - nobody tried to chase us away or insist on getting the table back and altogether it made for a really relaxed night out.Special Features:
- Lovely foodLuvfoodDined on 17/5/2014The food was lovely and well presented. The service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing EnvironmentEricaDined on 15/5/2014I have gone to this place many times for drinks but this is the first time for food. I found the dishes creative and fresh at a great value.Special Features:
- Chicken SaladmontieDined on 14/5/2014Chicken salad from their healthier, low calorie option costing £8.95 was very disappointing. The salad consisted of a layer of chickpeas, spinach leaves and half a chicken breast that had previously been cooked making it very rubbery and not very appetising and a little salad dressing. :-(Special Features:
- Special offerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 13/5/2014My partner and I thought that the special offer of £14.95 each for a 2 course meal and a glass of house wine for the Supper Menu was really good value and the choice from the Supper menu was very good. It would be nice if they had this type of offer more often for week nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyBrodieDined on 10/5/2014Wow , could not hear yourself think for, screeching hen parties .
- Great foodCatheDined on 9/5/2014The food was excellent. Might be a little noisy for some.Special Features:
- YUMMDined on 3/5/2014We wre a small group of friends who had a lovely meal and most enjoyable evening everything was excellent I would recommend to allSpecial Features:
- Good valueMcjdineDined on 1/5/2014Lovely service. Not rushed on a Thursday evening. Actually really quiet. Good value pre 7pm menu. One of the steak portions was perhaps a bit on the meager side when compared to another portion. We should've said something. Overall a great night though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointingGH77Dined on 26/4/2014Went on a Saturday evening when it was really busy with a mixed crowed of couples and big friend groups. It's a place to go and eat something in a bar surrounding before you go on and do something else. The food was bland and expensive and could have been made by anyone but it felt like they were charging you for the venue/location it. to be 'out in town' rather than the food. We had the carpaccio, spring rolls and sticky ribs and some prawns but everything tasted like it was from Iceland. Cocktails were nice though.Special Features:
- Could and should have been betterArtillery105Dined on 19/4/2014Booked well in advance after a recommendation. Evening started well, good bar service on arrival, and when first went to the table with family. Starters arrived on time, and we all tried something different as there was a good choice. Mains arrived and food of good standard. However, after about an hour or so we ordered another bottle of wine and drinks but never arrived, and despite reminding the staff twice, still hadn't arrived. After another reminder the wine was brought but not the drinks. It was some 30 minutes of waiting which spoilt the night, so we paid the bill and left.Special Features: