48 Lonsdale Road
London, W11 2DENeighbourhood:
SteakhousePrice: £26 to £40
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thelonsdale.co.uk/
- Phone: 02077274080
- Hours of Operation:
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Late Night
A word from The Lonsdale
Since its unveiling in 2002, The Lonsdale – hip cocktail bar, restaurant and lounge in upscale Notting Hill – has become local favourite and destination venue all in one. Refurbished by top urban designers du jour dtwo, The Lonsdale offers freshly sumptuous surroundings to reflect the dawn of a new decade in dining and drinking, whether you’re enjoying a quick after work cocktail, lunchtime nibbles or the full gastronomic experience. And what an experience; luxuriant and comforting, dinner at The Lonsdale is about familiar flavours used in simple but sophisticated ways. The culinary focus here is on steak, specifically Cairngorm steaks sourced from Allens of Mayfair, Britain’s oldest butchers. And if you’re not big on steak, there are plenty of other tempting dishes on offer, including fab vegetarian options. Cocktails here are not to be missed – the extensive list features classics, house favourites, historical drinks and even Prohibition-suitable (non-alcoholic!) cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Lonsdale reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since 4 June 2014
group bookings (30)special occasions (29)romance (29)fit for foodies (22)business meals (19)outstanding value (17)good vegetarian options (7)pre/post theatre (6)brunch (4)sunday lunch (2)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- 50% Quality?DcGibDined on 3/5/2014Came in on the 50% off offer and I really wonder if that affected the total service and quality. The restaurant itself had that trendy American diner/speakeasy feel to it. Service was pleasant but not all that attentive, which was the opposite I thought would happen - i'm not sure if that's a positive or a negative really. The food was generally good, but not great, and if i was paying the full menu price my steak would have gone back. Ordered medium-rare and parts were but parts were very medium. Pretentious i know, but a steak you've just gotta get right. It's really not that hard and at £28 a go it should be perfect frankly. Even so, at 50% off it was an amazing deal. Get in while you can, they can't run that forever i'm sure!Special Features:
- enjoyed but not lovedMMMMMMMVIPDined on 25/4/2014food was quite nice although not cooked as requested. Service and staff seemed nice and accommodating of requests (e.g. turning music down). Would go again based off the deal
- JJjjDined on 18/4/2014I went with my wife on a Friday night, not very busy but the food was very good. Staff friendly as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went with 5 girlfriends forlou7Dined on 29/3/2014Went with 5 girlfriends for a birthday. The staff were lovely, food good and a really nice buzzy atmosphere at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food.RuthiedDined on 26/3/2014We were meeting Friends from America, and the Lonsdale was recommended, It lived up to the recommendation. Our friends said it was as good as the restaurants in the US.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- abit dissappointingSC26Dined on 20/3/2014We went there for the 50% discount. waited a long time for the food. we were offered bread but never came - didnt tell us that drinks would be more expensive if we took on the food deal. The steak was a litlt cold. The place is very good for a drinks enviroment but not for food.
- Great venue… and the food is fine.TomHDined on 18/3/2014I live close to the Lonsdale, but until making this booking didn't know that it existed. The venue is fantastic, comfortable seating, good lighting, fantastic atmosphere. The food itself was a little disappointing - the salt and pepper squid was mediocre and the steak was tough. But overall the experience was enjoyable. It's the perfect venue to hire for a large event (birthday etc).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terribly DisappointedMikeMcFaddenDined on 14/3/2014What a disappointment. We sat and ordered starters. They arrived after 30 minutes, and were room temp at best. After being seated for less than half an hour, the male maitre'd told us we needed to wrap up our meal and vacate the table. In 30 minutes. Our main courses had not even arrived at that point. I politely said that the entire episode was inexcusable, and that I was not interested in moving to the bar mid-meal. I was so mortified at the service and food that we returned our main courses untouched, cleared our check, and walked out: Something I've never done in more than 20 years of dining. After forty or fifty dinners at the Lonsdale over the past two years, I'm very sorry to say I will not be returning.Special Features:
- Nice food, strange atmospherehelen86VIPDined on 13/3/2014Can't fault the food, and the staff were lovely and attentive. But I found the decor really confusing- like a nightclub but with traditional British food. Half expected club music and drinks shots to come out. Despite this, had a lovely time and would go again based on the standard of the delicious steak and starters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great deal!CarmyDined on 11/3/2014The food was great, the service fast and very friendly and welcoming staff. With the 50% discount it was very reasonable and I will definitely be going again on the same deal soon! The lobster risotto was gorgeous and the calamari with squid ink was delicious too. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be careful with the 50% discount,ZinkinpinDined on 7/3/2014Be careful with the 50% discount, because they won't apply it! Apart from this, food was excellent.Special Features:
- The LonsdaleDN13VIPDined on 5/3/2014The exterior doesnt give a lot away but once you are inside you are presented with a very nicely decorated and laid out venue. On the 50% of offer you cannot go wrong, considering most pubs charge a lot for run of the mill steak to get wine, beer, a ribeye, a rump, two portions of chips, a coffee and a desert + tip for £40 would be a stretch. To then have the same level of quality and service would be a miracle, the steaks were big, well cooked, come with a sauce of your choice (served on the side) and we thoroughly enjoyed. This is a great place, though i get that feeling in a few weeks time you wont be able to get in there as it will be just that popular, very much worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just went for meal for oneJakeDined on 27/2/2014Just went for meal for one but i saw parties and romantic couples wnjoying themesleves. Nothing much from the outside but you wll be pleasently surprised by the inside.Special Features:
- Great serviceFoodie23Dined on 22/2/2014Unfortunately, the menu shown on toptable isn't really what's offered. As a vegetarian at a steakhouse, I was limited to a mushroom gnocci. Service was great and the waitress said the chef could make a leek risotto, but i passed up the offer to have a starter and 2 sides instead and went home hungry! My fellow diners and me thought the food was quite average but service, drinks and ambience are great! Dessert was good though!Special Features:
- Cool venue, average foodilovemaguireVIPDined on 21/2/2014The venue is really cool, resturant at the back and the front cocktail bar gets very busy. The drinks menu alone is amazing! Many great cocktails and wines. We had the 50% off food offer so it was good value, otherwise I think it is overpriced. The steak we both had was good but not worth the full price of £27 each. The meat was a little dry for this price.Special Features:
- Fun, good value and nice foodanngriffxDined on 21/2/2014I've been to the Lonsdale once before a couple of years ago and thought it worth another go. The food is good, a bit better than average and a decently imaginative menu, which, with the 50% off, is good value. Wine is very disappointing, cocktails better, the decor reminiscent of a seedy nightclub, and the service very good and attentive considering it gets busy later at night. On a Friday night it started practically empty; by the end of the evening the bar out front was packed and the noise enormous - in testament to the acoustics, the restaurant was shielded from this remarkably well, considering. Overall worth a visit with the 50% off offer, without it there would be better but not a bad night out at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Drinks!FrostDined on 21/2/2014The service and drinks here are sincerely wonderful. Food is good as well and the menu has a great variety. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day Surprise!LockwoodDined on 14/2/2014I booked this rather than Hawksmoor for Valentines day. While pricey at £45+ a head with drinks the steak was the best I've had in London. A restaurant that is sharp on it's serving times, can do an immaculate Medium (not too rare and not well done) and great service. I'd recommend the steak as this is why you'd go, can't speak for the rest. The chips are superb.Special Features:
- exceeded expectation...NorwayDined on 8/2/2014Great fillet steak in a mixed bar restaurant atmosphere, lively house music from the bar...didn't find it too loud or disturbing at all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usualmnkyDined on 4/2/2014I love this place, great food, lovely staff and really cool interior design throughout. My friends were impressed with my selection :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A happy anniversaryRockCrystalDined on 29/1/2014I visited The Lonsdale with my husband for our 4th wedding anniversary dinner. After a couple of unusual cocktails including the sweet/sour Fish House Punch dating from 1700 we dined on scallops and venison, with a glass of PJ champagne followed by a decent bottle of Nuits St Georges. The food was perfectly cooked and good value, on a January weekday evening when the restaurant was quite busy but not crowded. Although The Lonsdale was slightly off the beaten track, we would definitely consider a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!YummieDined on 23/1/2014We Had the 50% off special offer. It was truly amazing value for money. Very special starters and mains with expensive and excellent ingredients. Desserts not as special. They looked great and very labour intense. The flavours were just not as great. Still, excellent value. The cocktails were lively too. Highly recommend on the 50% off offer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, nice ambienceTabasco123VIPDined on 9/1/2014The Lonsdale has excellent cocktails, of course... but the food is really very good! The last 3 times I've been their I have been consistently impressed. And, becuase I booked on Top Table, there was a 50% off ala carte menu special, it was a great value!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good with 50% offerdeborahm10Dined on 9/1/2014The look of the place is rather Essex and somehow it is in NottingHill! Not sure how it is still going after 10 years but perhaps it is because of things like the 50% offer which turns an expensive restaurant into one of reasonable value. The cooking is competently executed and has flavour - in fact it is better than the ambience by a long way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food, a great atmosphereBambiDined on 9/1/2014Superb food, a great atmosphere even on an early Thursday evening. With top Table discount excellentt value. no hesitation in recommending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food usually greatgabsNHVIPDined on 4/1/2014I love the food here, probably too pricey a la carte but good value with the totable offer when it applies. We had sadly one meat dish that was off and I'm not sure how that went through to the table but the service reacted fast. The rest of us had a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatJuns69Dined on 3/1/2014Great food great value great atmosphere. Don't understand why it was only half full. Would go againSpecial Features:
- JJjjDined on 28/12/2013Had an excellent meal at the Lonsdale and would recommend. Very good food and nice atmosphereSpecial Features:
- work xmas mealSKHANVIPDined on 18/12/2013Have had great steak here in the past and once again the Lonsdale did not disappoint. Great portion sizes and excellent quality steaks. However the menu would benefit from more reasonably priced wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedEasydinerDined on 11/12/2013Good reviews prompted me to try this, but service was very slow and the food was delayed getting to our table and as a result had cooled down somewhat. Service was just about ok, quite polite but not at all attentive. Failed to provide steak knife which made me think the steak was initially tough. When I mentioned it was my daughter's birthday they made no effort to even put a candle her dessert, unlike every other restaurant we have been to! Buck up your service and your ideas. We may give it another try when the 50% off food comes back but not really worth it at full price. Hopefully the service will be better.Special Features:
- Bar or restaurant?SocialEaterDined on 7/12/2013It was our second visit to the Lonsdale. We had a great evening but it was very crowded and incredibly noisy so we had to shout the whole time and kept being bumped and knocked. The start of the evening in the bar was better but once we were in the seated area it was a crush. Getting to the loo a nightmare! The food was excellent but the layout of the place could be better thought out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatHappyDinerDined on 6/12/2013The cocktails are superb, the food is delicious, the decor is moody and fun, so we always enjoy going to the Lonsdale. Not sure why its not very busy, though! Fantastic value when on a 50% food TopTable deal. We will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really delicious starters,pixelDined on 3/12/2013Really delicious starters, and gorgeous, perfectly cooked steaks. Fantastic value with 50% off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerWaffleliciousDined on 28/11/2013I've been meaning to try this place for a while but never had the chance to. I'm so glad that I've finally visited here as it's probably the best restaurant I've dined at in the whole of London! Literally full marks for everything! Luckily there was a 50% a la carte offer which made the experience much more enjoyable as me and boyfriend only celebrated our anniversary a couple of weeks earlier at the Gaucho in Piccadilly. I would definitely come back again. Great food, great service, great place! Thank you! :DSpecial Features:
- Very good indeeddizzy73VIPDined on 26/11/2013We went on the 50% deal and for the food that we had you just can't get a better deal than this. Service was very good and helpful. Fillet steaks were very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding value with 50% offRandomCoilDined on 26/11/2013The food was really good, the steak excellent. With a 50% off coupon, that is outstanding value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ideal for young peopleDisappointedDined on 26/11/2013I have dined here with my tutees, university students from year one to four, and colleagues. The Lonsdale is spot on. The atmosphere is funky without being intimidating, the food is excellent, staff are very good and with a half price coupon even a larger group won't break the bank. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Atmosphere, Great Food!jjm1706Dined on 22/11/2013I host ed a business meal here. The decor and ambiance of the restaurant was ideal, and the music was just at the right level so you could have a conversation. The food we were served was exquisite. I would definitely use this venue for a business meal again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!Luv2dineDined on 14/11/2013This is my 3rd time to this restuarant. As always the service is great, lovely ambience and great value on top tbale offer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night out as always.Olivia12Dined on 14/11/2013Great Night out as always. Service and staff excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.