The Mark Cross Inn
Crowborough, TN6 3NPNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £25 and under
The Mark Cross Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.themarkcross.co.uk/
- Phone: 01892 852423
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 6:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British, Gastro Pub, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Peter Napier Clarke
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can cater for small or larger parties in certain areas of the pub.
- Private Party Contact: Ashley Baldwin 01892852423
- Entertainment: Background music
A word from The Mark Cross Inn
The Mark Cross Inn is a beautiful pub, a place to meet, eat, drink and chat in a relaxed atmosphere. There are three real fires and spectacular views from our beer garden which overlooks the Sussex countryside. We serve traditional hearty British food which is all home made using only the best locally sourced ingredients from carefully chosen local suppliers. There are four real ales and a decent wine list. We serve food all day, every day, so you may choose to have a late lunch, early dinner or even afternoon tea. The Mark Cross Inn was awarded the great accolade of The South East Food pub of the year in the Great British Pub Awards, Best Food Pub Category & also won customer service pub of the year in the Publican awards.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasions
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Mark Cross Inn - Best restaurants in Crowborough ›
The Mark Cross Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since 29 November 2013
sunday lunch (58)special occasions (39)child friendly (39)outdoor eating (39)group bookings (35)fit for foodies (34)business meals (19)disabled access (17)good vegetarian options (16)romance (16)brunch (11)outstanding value (8)afternoon tea (4)pre/post theatre (1)Show More
- Fabulous Sunday lunchFiggyloverDined on 23/11/2014The Mark cross is quite large and has still retained that old world pub charm. It is always warm and welcoming and the staff are incredibly helpful and accommodating. We had the Sunday lunch, which was of a lovely standard and generously proportioned. Only 2 of our group managed a dessert.... In the summer it also has a lovely outdoor space too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Sunday LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 23/11/2014We had a very good Sunday lunch, with the mixed roast option being very popular. The staff were very helpful, polite, and catered for our needs (in our group of 7 we had 1 three year old, and 1 two week old), including bringing the children's food out as soon as possible. The food quality and portions were excellent, would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another successful mealfairfieldfiveDined on 22/11/2014We booked for a birthday lunch for 'five and a high chair'. Everything was ready on our arrival and we were able to order small portions for the small granddaughter and miniature portions for the miniature one. The miniature one is not a tidy eater but the staff were not the least concerned, nor were they concerned about the ever-increasing number of children as other parties arrived and the dining room became an obstacle course round knee-high moving hazards. The food was very good and was served promptly. We had a most enjoyable celebration - many thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great friendly pub/resturantCrispyDined on 21/11/2014very friendly, responded to my request, food great, and staff very efficient. well done and thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JPCPDined on 19/11/2014Our meal (Stilton rarebit) came out cold, was replaced and still only luke warm. We were not charged for this. We have eaten here many times and are usually satisfied with the food. Shame because we like coming to the Mark Cross Inn for our girly lunches!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 16/11/2014The waitress was lovley and very understanding, but we was served raw chicken twice, such a shame as everything else looked amazing! We've eaten many times in here and go for the Sunday roast, and never once had a complaint. The manager gave us our drinks on the house and couldnr of been nicer, but we did choose to eat else where. Such a shame as we feel slightly put off by this experience.Special Features:
- Lunch at the Mark Cross InnHungryMonkey42Dined on 15/11/2014We celebrated our son's birthday at the Mark Cross Inn. We have been there on many occasions in the past. The service was excellent with very helpful and attentive staff. The meat dishes were great (sirloin steak, and sausages) but the vegetarian options were limited. Although we had not informed the staff that we had gone there for a birthday celebration, they worked this out and gave our son a free ice cream which he was embarrassed and happy about! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 01/11/2014 visitmaneater66Dined on 1/11/2014the restaurent and sevice good , but disapointed with the menu , nothing jumped out as a "must have that" ,in the end had a burger and over done oven chips, had to ask for a plate as the burger was on a piece of wood and the chips in miniture frying basket, otherwise it would be on your lap . Not good value for money . i think maybe changes there from when we were there earlier in the year. On the plus side , a good selection of real ales !Special Features:
- Vegetables galore!Jax63Dined on 26/10/2014We had a very tasty Sunday lunch at the Mark Cross last weekend. It was very busy yet the staff were still attentive. Some of our party had the roast meat option which was delicious but worth a mention was the selection of vegetables to accompany it. I think it was 6 or 8 different types! I am glad we booked and we will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it has been !!DinewithFriendsDined on 24/10/2014Not sure what happened on this occasion as the food was definitely below par. One meal got sent back as it was very over-cooked and inedible and the message back from the chef was not an apology but an explanation of the ingredients which makes it look dark, implying our diner was in the wrong!! Although the meal was prepared again the experience was ruined and, in fact, the second effort was not much better and very little was eaten. Then there was no allowance made for this on the bill and no-one appeared particularly bothered about rectifying. Shame as we have always had good experiences. I would say eating here is fairly expensive but one would never mind if the food and service is exceptional - on this occasion you fell short!Special Features:
- Saturday lunchnomore4usDined on 4/10/2014We were served by at least 4 different people. 45mins for drinks to arrive. Slow service throughout. Main course portions of Pork Belly and Stuffed Aubergine extremely small, considering the price. Overall, food is expensive. Nobody came to ask if we would like coffee and when we investigated, we discovered almost all the staff sitting down to eat. We mentioned that we were disappointed when we paid, but the response seemed to be that it was our fault!
- DisappointmentPugsDined on 28/9/2014Have visted the Mark Cross many times but have to say that although the food is still good quality the service has gradually gone from excellent a couple of years ago to poor. On the 28th September we waited 20 mins for our drinks to be served after the order was taken and that was after I complained. Another 30 mins for the food to arrive. Total of an hour from arrival to meals on the table. We were not offered sauces even though the menu said roast pork with apple sauce. The sauces arrived half way through the meal. We did not wait for the desert menu! A great shame, so please get your act together or you will loose reguler customers.Special Features:
- Poor serviceJochocyumDined on 28/9/2014Sadly our visit to the restaurant this time was spoiled by having to wait one and a half hours for our meal ! Food very good but very disappointing service. Especially as it was a special birthday meal. Would think twice before returning or recommending to others. A great shame.Special Features:
- Good food well presentedDoristanDined on 20/9/2014The food was delicious and served innovatively. Unfortunately, there was a large party nearby and we had difficulty hearing one another. Perhaps large tables could be placed separately from other dinersSpecial Features:
- Very dissapointingHonestlyDined on 16/9/2014I booked this restaurant for a friends birthday supper having previously enjoyed meals there. The restaurant was almost empty and devoid of all atmosphere. We were seated and the first thing we were told was meals that were no longer available. We were then asked if we would like drinks, we asked what white wine was available to which the waitress reeled off the selection but gave us no guidance as to any pricing so we were ordering in the dark. The friend who cannot have butter or cream etc was very limited to what she could order and was told there could be no variation on the listed ingredients so she had ham egg and chips, not a very celebrationery supper. All in all not a great experience and I shall not be rushing back.
- Sunday LunchMadamClockDined on 14/9/2014Arrived to a lovely table in the old bar area. Service was excellent. Most of us had a roast, however the pork was a bit chewy / fatty and the meal wasn't as hot at it could be. However, it was VERY busy and food standard was unusual for the Mark Cross. Will definitely be back but may arrive earlier or go in the evening next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They have a wonderful new chefLouisDined on 14/9/2014The most delicious food we have ever had at the Mark Cross Inn. They have really upped their game with service to match . Everyone impressed !
- Wont go backZoomcoombeDined on 6/9/2014It was just not as good as I thought bit would be be. Food out of a van
- Going downhill !RayEDined on 31/8/2014Have been a regular client of this establishment for perhaps 8 years, never a complaint in the past. Visited recently and disappointed to see price increases, reduced menu choice and reduction in portion size in particular portion size for vegetables. One small dish of vegetables to share between two was disappointing. This is not a cheap place to eat and one does not mind paying providing one is receiving value for money. Maybe time to look elsewhere !Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 30/8/2014the menu was just too small and rather boring to be frank
- Good Food !DillyDined on 29/8/20141 st time to this pub and had been recommended by friends . Were pleasantly surprised by the helpful and friendly waitresses . Not long to wait between courses and the food was great quality and plenty of it ! We would definately go back there !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great place to go tors993Dined on 29/8/2014its a very nice place to go to for special occasions, a group of friends for a drink & food aint bad eitherSpecial Features:
- Mark Cross InnPaulDined on 25/8/2014We booked a table for 5 for lunch. It was a Bank Holiday and the Mark Cross was full to bursting, which I think would go some way to explaining my poor rating. We had a long wait before any drinks arrived, and a longer one after ordering, for our food to appear. The food was nothing special and for those of us who had roast beef or chicken, there was not much meat but lots of potato as a filler. The restaurant was extremely noisy, and I think was catering for more people than it could adequately serve. We would not go to The Mark Cross again on a Bank Holiday, but will continue to go for a meal occasionally, as the food is normally much better than last experienced.Special Features:
- Lunch in the sunOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 20/8/2014Another successful visit to the Mark Cross, as always excellent, food friendly service in the beautiful well maintained garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!PollenDined on 15/8/2014Quality of food and service has declined. Ridiculously small 'main' dish of chowder served without bread. The fish in the fish & chips was dry, the batter soggy and the chips chunky and unappealing, served without tartar sauce too! Desserts looked pretty but the Split Lemon Meringue Pie belonged more in an art gallery than on a dining table being served on a wooden board with the lemon curd being served in a jam jar on its side with a spoon that was too large to easily get into the jar - all very messy. Restaurant was very empty for a Friday evening but staff still inattentive and unobservant - had to go looking for someone to clear our plates and bring dessert menus! We were embarrassed to have chosen this venue for dinner with friends.Special Features:
- Very poor valueMooseDined on 10/8/2014Have visited a lot over the years but after a break it was striking that the service was just a bit tired and slow which then leads you to look closer at other things notably the vastly overpriced food given the very poor portions. Sadly some things are decent portions and fair value but the menu is like a lottery where you can end up with negligible amount of food but a hefty price to pay. there is much going for the place. But you do need to serve a fair portion of food. Diners should be very careful what they order as you can come out delighted or feeling very ripped off. I felt the latter this time and as I don't like a lucky dip when I go out, sadly I will not be backSpecial Features:
- Friendly serviceIanalexdolDined on 10/8/2014I thought the service was very attentive at the mark cross inn and they produced some food that was good . They didn't know what a lacto- vegeterian was .ie someone who is vegeterian but doesn't eat eggs. I thought a RESTARAUNT might know this but they thought it was someone who was lactose intolerant. There was not enough good vegetarian options on the menu aswell . I chose polenta which was a bit bland . Other choices was gnocchi and ploughmans. They were flexible on there menu which was good and the burgers chips , fish , etc was good for the other members and kids of our party .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mark Cross InnBagpusDined on 8/8/2014Another lovely meal at the Mark Cross Inn. Though a large pub, it has a cosy interior and a beer garden with wonderful views. Service was fantastic and food delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm welcoming country restaurantDavidDined on 3/8/2014Friendly staff welcome you and engage you in conversation. The menu includes their excellent staple fayre but had enough updates top keep you coming back. The food is almost always perfect. We had one fish dish which was a tad overcooked. The meal was replaced, a full apology given and we were not charged for it at all. I will keep returning to the Mark cross inn for their awesome burgers, enormous roasts and the great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice with friendsBlossomDined on 29/7/2014Glad we were with friends as the service was very slow even though they were not busy, we actually had to ask to order food. The food was all very good, though my leeks were very difficult to cut. Everything is well presented, and the restaurant has a nice feel.Special Features:
- Usually fantasticthefabulousfoodie5Dined on 28/7/2014We eat here a lot but this time the staff were tired after a long weekend running a beer festival at the Mark Cross. Service was terrible and I ended up taking my Dinner home in a box ! The staff were very apologetic and gave me a bottle of wine as it was my birthday !Special Features:
- Poor dining experienceSlats1Dined on 13/7/2014We have been to Marks Cross several times since we moved to East Sussex and the food is still of a good standard however its overpriced snd the menu balance isnt good. The level of service isnt good ie we were shown to our table next to a really loud group.and.ok were moved when we askef to be then simply forgot about. It took ages to order and.when we did get it there were ni follow up table checks to see if everything was ok. All in all a below average experience we are loath to repeat
- DisappointingJessicacacacaDined on 13/7/2014Lovely looking pub, amazing views from the garden, friendly staff but unfortunately food wasn't great, and service very slow. We waited an hour for our food to be brought out. One of our party ordered a Greek salad which was basically a bowl of different coloured peppers and feta! No tomato/cucumber or any other salad! I'd go back here for a drink but not to eatSpecial Features:
- Real answer to question 2leonardo44Dined on 6/7/2014Food below average and overpriced. Service poor and very slow. Apart from one person, who seemed to be doing everything, the rest of staff didn't seem to understand the concept of table service.Special Features:
- Best meal yet!MrsCoopsDined on 28/6/2014This meal was the best yet! Service was impeccable and the staff go out of your way to make you feel welcomed and well looked after. Being a veggie I am a fussy fish but the food on this occasion was one of the best vegetarian meals I have had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodgeraniumDined on 7/6/2014The food was lovely but there was only one vegetarian option we could see.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive foodElenaDined on 1/6/2014Impressive food and service was outstandingly quick, thank you.Special Features:
- What has happeneddoristhedinerDined on 30/5/2014We have eaten here many times and always enjoyed our food sp this was a very disappointing visit. The burger was overcooked - the fischcake overwhelmed with dill and the gardens peas with the fish had turned into mushy ones. Understaffed so everyone is rushing around with too much to do.Special Features:
- Great country pub - fabulous viewsvixbDined on 25/5/2014A large country pub set amongst rolling hillsides, if the weather is nice make sure you spend some time out in the garden because the views are hard to beat. Sunday roast is exceptional, good quality "home cooked". but it's not cheap & nor are the drinks. It is a nice relaxed place to have a family meal / special occasion, but no children's menu. Service is usually good, but can vary & gets busy so book in advance or expect to wait. One member of staff, Kieran, deserves a particular mention because he is consistently helpful & friendly, nothing is too much trouble. I recently attended a large private function at the pub with an outdoor BBQ, Kieran made sure everything ran smoothly & the food was great - resulting in lots of happy guests.Special Features:
- diner with the familyGrandpaBDined on 24/5/2014We have been before and will go again, service food and ambience perfect for a family meal, we are a grown up family and will take our grandchildren there.Special Features: