The Modern Pantry
47 - 48 St Johns Square
London, EC1V 4JJNeighbourhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: £26 to £40
The Modern Pantry
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themodernpantry.co.uk/
- Phone: 020 7553 9210
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 8am - 11am Brunch: Saturday 9am - 4pm, Sunday 10am - 4pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday 5.00pm - 10.00pm, Tuesday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10.30pm, Saturday 6pm - 10.30pm, Sunday 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Anna Hansen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The Mobile Pantry caters for both corporate and private clients, creating eclectic delicious menus tailored to your needs. It offers a full service: everything from cocktails and canapés to lavish buffets, or even an intimate dinner with matching wines.
A word from The Modern Pantry
The Modern Pantry is housed in two handsome Georgian buildings in St John’s Square, Clerkenwell. The larger of the two buildings was originally part of an adjacent steel foundry, while the other was a townhouse. The Modern Pantry offers a range of dining options: The first floor Dining Rooms (Restaurant) is comprised of two elegant, light filled rooms overlooking St John’s Square. Classic Heritage features are complimented with contemporary design creating an intimate and relaxing atmosphere. The Ground Floor Café is a modern casual dining space serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner 7 days a week, with out door seating in the summer. Book online for the dining rooms or by phone for the ground floor cafe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBrunch
The Modern Pantry - Best restaurants in Farringdon ›
The Modern Pantry reviews from OpenTable diners
466 reviews since 23 November 2013
brunch (236)fit for foodies (184)special occasions (107)sunday lunch (86)business meals (81)romance (78)afternoon tea (74)good vegetarian options (65)outdoor eating (55)group bookings (50)outstanding value (24)pre/post theatre (16)child friendly (12)Show More
- Cold foodCliveDined on 16/11/2014Very disappointed in brunch, my partner and I having been served cold eggs and tomato. This was replaced with a fresh serving but nevertheless felt let down in front of guests who were with me
- PerfectEdcrummDined on 15/11/2014Imaginative and delicious food. Amazing wine list. We thought the service was fine but coins see how some might think it brusque.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experienceMJF78VIPDined on 13/11/2014Nice wine selection with some reasonably priced offerings. Food was tasty but I had been anticipating something a bit more. And I should learn my lesson about ordering quail - it's always a pain to eat and rarely as satisfying as you hope! Service was generally amiable but when I came in I had to wait quite a while for the apparent friends of the resto manager had a long old chat. It was clear there were people getting squashed in the front door area waiting to be seated but still the chatter continued. A little rude I thought. Pleasant setting and the first floor drawing room has a nice town house feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but improve the service!ssr100Dined on 10/11/2014I completely enjoyed my dinner - from the gin & ginseng cocktail to the rice puding dessert. It would be nice if servers were more attentive - at times, it felt that they ignored you or simply, forgot about you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/11/2014Overpriced rather boring food. Left remarkably underwhelmed,
- really tastyGoodfoodDined on 1/11/2014Great place for a weekend brunch with great coffeeSpecial Features:
- Wonderful. See you ASAP.ScoobyDined on 31/10/2014Fantastic menu, lovely and lively space and good choice of wines. I think MP is just great. Will be back as soon as I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfussy great tastesAGKDDined on 28/10/2014There is a way that this generation of New Zealand centric chefs assemble food tastes and flavour thats is just so unassuming yet satisfying. I wish more of London's overly self conscious chefs would take note. This food was so fresh and so lovingly prepared, the meal was a delight yet not shouty - we were there for business and no one wants shouty food! Relaxed, helpful, egalitarian service - no obsequious staff drolling over your shoulder folding your napkin for the seventh time here. A summer breeze on an autumnal day - just lovely.Special Features:
- Great buildingNick1691Dined on 28/10/2014Been here before and it was really nice, disappointed on a second visit, maybe it was because the breakfast menu was about to shut and we had a table of 5? Service was very cold and food wasn't to the standard of the price. Don't want to knock it too much though as I've previously had a great time and would still give it another chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual neighborhood culinary treatDineOutOftenDined on 26/10/2014Cool casual vibe with delicious farm-to-table dishes. Modern preparations fit for foodies. Friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food not bad, pity about servicefionaDined on 26/10/2014Had Sunday lunch here. Menu looked interesting. Main course needed to be a little hotter. Pudding very good. Service pretty terrible. Whatever happened to service with a smile? My pudding collapsed on way to the table. Ok it didn't affect the taste but why serve it? A minute back in the kitchen would have fixed it. Went to restaurant on next corner for coffee. What a difference. Thay need to give the pantry service lessons! If you live nearby you might try it but not good enough to make a special journey. Wouldn't recommend.Special Features:
- Great experience as alwaysKb44Dined on 26/10/2014A friend and I went along for brunch and had a delicious brunch in a nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sundays are specialLizzieDrippinDined on 26/10/2014Had a wonderful relaxing Sunday brunch at The Modern Pantry last weekend. The staff were as warm and welcoming as the food! This is my absolute favourite place to spend a Sunday morning with all the family.Special Features:
- Convoluted menuDubtippDined on 25/10/2014The menu here is extremely complicated. It lists all the elements of each dish which is great but the ingredients were extremely left of centre in my experience. However, the waiter did go through everything and answered all our questions.. My husband and I weren't comfortable though and weren't really sure what we were ordering until the dish came to the table. Ok, it says monkfish, I'm ok with that but what accompanied it, I wasn't sure. The food was very good though and we cleared our plates. I wouldn't recommend the restaurant to a friend purely on the basis that I think it's a very personal decision to eat here.Special Features:
- Delightful foodJessPDined on 24/10/2014I enjoyed my meal however on a Friday night we had over an hour wait between starter and main course. However the staff were excellent and provided free desserts and coffee so we were willing to let them off on this occasion. Due to the excellent reparation made I would be confident to recommend them to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerriblePollyPDined on 23/10/2014Extremely disappointed with The Modern Pantry - was so looking forward to trying the dinner menu after going for breakfast last year. Service was slow, waiter told me pointedly I was late when I got there (very rude), they got the booking wrong even though I'd booked online. The whole menu was radically overpriced, most of all the wine. My steak was chewy with a horrible bitter flavour from some sort of topping, cassava chips were undercooked. Chocolate truffles were tasteless and half defrosted. Lastly, although everything I ate was marked gluten-free, and I told them I was Coeliac, I was still unwell the next day.
- Fun & Gastro at same time? YESMcbwDined on 22/10/2014How unusual to get that combination! Genuinely good fun set up, staff are attentive, engaged and relaxed at the same time - a difficult trick to pull off. You get to meet and drink with your fellow diners, our evening took a turn for the better / worse when about 8 of us who had not met before decided to have a post-dinner cocktail together! How often does that happen at Michelin starred restaurants! A fab place run by a fab teamSpecial Features:
- JTWinePairDined on 18/10/2014Always a winner and I'm always recommending this place to any who are able to appreciate fine food. For the price, there is no better place for food and wine pairings in London.Special Features:
- Great experience!!sheetsDined on 18/10/2014Lovely unique and creative recipes, would definitely recommend and come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday BrunchJockBerkshireDined on 18/10/2014Flavours were exceptional. pleaseant informal , stylish atmosphere. A a bit off the beaten track at Clerkenwell but worth the effort if you have time on a leisureley weekend day for the quality of the food and ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely brunchRrwhDined on 18/10/2014Interesting brunch options plus the classics like poached eggs done really well. Lovely natural light and ambience for a Saturday brunch. Serving sizes were on the smaller side.Special Features:
- attention to detail requiredgustav24Dined on 17/10/2014Lovely service, nice setting, but just missed the quality on the food. We sent the breakfast back as swimming in water from the poached eggs. The hollandaise sauce was split and bitter. Just not quite good enough for the price. Coffee from a specialised roaster was delicious though.Special Features:
- Relaxed sophistication...Yum22Dined on 14/10/2014Airy, light and intimate. An interesting menu as well. So many things yet to try. A great option for brunch, breakfast and lunch particularly. Nice tea options. Coffee could be a little better.Special Features:
- A disappointing Sunday lunchUsuallypositiveDined on 12/10/2014The service did not start well; waiting for friends to join us at our table no-one asked if we would like a drink. Then our waiter asked us to repeat everything several times, a bottle of pear and elderflower had to be repeated 4 times. The salad and breaded cheese starter had a tiny triangle of cheese which should have oozed from its coating. It was stodgy. The pork terrine was better with an exc piccalilli. The fish main course was good but only one of the two ordered arrived at the table. The waiter really should have written down the order, a fish order is not easily confused by a veg option of tofu! The medium rare onglet steak was rare and had to be sent back. Even on the rare side it was chewy. £34 a silly price for house wine.
- Incredible StaffhappydinerDined on 5/10/2014We had Sunday brunch at Modern Pantry to celebrate a birthday. As it was a very sunny day so naturally the restaurant was extremely busy and unfortunately they ran out of the waffles we ordered. At this point we had already received an amazing Muesli dish, a beet salad, corn bread, salsa and chorizo with fried eggs and, cocktails which were outstanding. The staff were genuinely sorry about the waffles and first offered us complimentary drinks (champagne, Bellini etc) then said that the bill was on them. It was the best brunch ever with inspiring food and remarkable and extremely friendly service.Special Features:
- Another great meal at Modern PantryadelvellerDined on 5/10/2014A great brunch in nice surroundings. Only comment is that, whilst service was very friendly and attentive, the restaurant could do with employing another waiter or waitress as there were times when those working were stretched. Otherwise another fine experience at Modern Pantry and we will be back!
- Modern PantrybirdyVIPDined on 4/10/2014Even though there was a large wedding party going on, we still had a lovely meal and were well looked after.
- Exceptionally Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/10/2014Everything was amazing,,,, great service, ambiance and the food was sooo delicious. I highly recommend it!!!
- A wonderful place77130Dined on 28/9/2014This last Sunday it was the first time I came in your restaurant, we have made a reservation for a long time. We arrived at 11. for the brunch, no delay we access very quicly to our table at the first floor, and a charming lady gave us the menu. We did'nt wait for a long time to receive our order, and after it was just delightful !!!! My scrambled eggs were very well coocked, and good surprise in my tea pot , no tea bag, but a real "loose leaf tea" I hope i will come back soon in London and i try your Afternoon tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/9/2014Waiters were interested only about the closure of the kitchen. Kitchen has served one venison medium well, normally must be medium rare. 3.50£ for a selection of breads was a bit overpriced considering the quality of the bread. Starters too small and puzzling for taste and combination. If you read "duck" as the main ingredient of the plate you expect to eat more duck than salad. The omlette was very good even if it was actually a crêpes. The wine list was ubalanced in relation to the menu, there were two medium priced wines and the others were all very expensive.
- Interestinghach14Dined on 21/9/2014Having looked at the menu online, decided to book a table for Sunday lunch while my relative visited. When we arrived, it was a very cute but busy place. Downstairs cafe seemed lively, if not a bit tight for space. There isn't much room to manouvre round the entrance, table and front desk. However, really disappointed when we were given the 'Saturday' menu, when I asked the waitress she told us that they change menus daily and no longer do any pork or roast lunches. Seeing as a roast dinner was what we came for, we decided to leave, so can't really comment on the food ratings above. I will say, however because of the wooden floorboards and 'pantry' ambience everything echoes and so it's quite hard to hear yourself never mind the waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at The Modern PantryEatingOutDined on 20/9/2014This was my first visit with friends. The atmosphere was good, relaxed, pleasant dining rooms, good menu. The food was excellent, it was a long time coming but they did apologise for the delay. I would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodAmOsDined on 19/9/2014We have been to this place for a couple of times and we love it. Food is absolutely amazing and service is perfect. Would go back anytime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyPippa75Dined on 17/9/2014We organised a business lunch at the Modern Pantry as we had heard good reviews, and it was lovely. Great food and decor and ideal for the business lunches that you want relaxed but not too informal. The only slight downside is it can get a bit noisy, however for the right meetings this is ideal, so would book again (and booking through Open Table is great).Special Features:
- Good food and serviceEpicurusVIPDined on 16/9/2014The Modern Pantry serves good modern food. On the pricey side, but justified given the quality of the food. Service was professional and friendly.Special Features:
- ServiceJacobDined on 14/9/2014Sloppy service and I attentive staff made thus into an unpleasant experience. It took 20 minutes before anybody turned up at the table and another 20 to get a glass of wine. Before the main course was served the dessert menus were presented, the ordered bottle of wine arrived mid main course. We were a party of 4, spent about 250 quid, food is great, especially the prawn omelette. Service makes me not want to come backSpecial Features:
- wgcaptainDined on 13/9/2014As usual, the standard of food and service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely servicecmoon02Dined on 13/9/2014first time visiting the modern pantry after having some recommendation. was booked for afternoon tea but when arrived, they had us for brunch. however when we spoke to the staff, they happily accommodated us with the afternoon tea which was not like traditional one but very interesting and quirky mix of pastries and scones! definitely one to try and will come and visit again likely for some brunch next time which also looked delicious!Special Features:
- Great BreakfastachillesDined on 13/9/2014visited on a saturday morning, the Pantry had a great atmosphere and a good selection of traditional breakfast items as well as alternatives - turkish baked eggs were great!Special Features:
- innovative but not as expectedKozzaKDined on 12/9/2014The food was all well prepared, tasty and the ingredients innovatively paired. However, I did feel that the food descriptions were a bit misleading - I had the 'gnocci' for instance which actually turned out to be a sort of polenta cake. It was nice but I was disappointed (gnocci is an absolute favourite of mine). I would go back, but make sure that I knew what the dishes consisted of before ordering next time. On a side note, I was also surprised at the minimalistic decor. I had envisioned a much more artsy interior for a modern fusion restaurant. A spash of colour or two wouldn't hurt!Special Features: