The Modern Pantry
47 - 48 St Johns Square
London, EC1V 4JJNeighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: £26 to £40
The Modern Pantry
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themodernpantry.co.uk/
- Phone: 02075539210
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 8am - 11am Brunch: Saturday 9am - 4pm, Sunday 10am - 4pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday 5.00pm - 10.00pm, Tuesday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10.30pm, Saturday 6pm - 10.30pm, Sunday 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Anna Hansen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The Mobile Pantry caters for both corporate and private clients, creating eclectic delicious menus tailored to your needs. It offers a full service: everything from cocktails and canapés to lavish buffets, or even an intimate dinner with matching wines.
A word from The Modern Pantry
The Modern Pantry is housed in two handsome Georgian buildings in St John’s Square, Clerkenwell. The larger of the two buildings was originally part of an adjacent steel foundry, while the other was a townhouse. The Modern Pantry offers a range of dining options: The first floor Dining Rooms (Restaurant) is comprised of two elegant, light filled rooms overlooking St John’s Square. Classic Heritage features are complimented with contemporary design creating an intimate and relaxing atmosphere. The Ground Floor Café is a modern casual dining space serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner 7 days a week, with out door seating in the summer. Book online for the dining rooms or by phone for the ground floor cafe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBrunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Modern Pantry - Best restaurants in Farringdon ›
The Modern Pantry reviews from OpenTable diners
477 reviews since 20 May 2014
brunch (248)fit for foodies (191)special occasions (103)business meals (93)sunday lunch (89)afternoon tea (85)romance (78)good vegetarian options (67)outdoor eating (56)group bookings (55)outstanding value (33)pre/post theatre (17)child friendly (13)disabled access (1)Show More
- ServiceJacobDined on 14/9/2014Sloppy service and I attentive staff made thus into an unpleasant experience. It took 20 minutes before anybody turned up at the table and another 20 to get a glass of wine. Before the main course was served the dessert menus were presented, the ordered bottle of wine arrived mid main course. We were a party of 4, spent about 250 quid, food is great, especially the prawn omelette. Service makes me not want to come backSpecial Features:
- lovely servicecmoon02Dined on 13/9/2014first time visiting the modern pantry after having some recommendation. was booked for afternoon tea but when arrived, they had us for brunch. however when we spoke to the staff, they happily accommodated us with the afternoon tea which was not like traditional one but very interesting and quirky mix of pastries and scones! definitely one to try and will come and visit again likely for some brunch next time which also looked delicious!Special Features:
- innovative but not as expectedKozzaKDined on 12/9/2014The food was all well prepared, tasty and the ingredients innovatively paired. However, I did feel that the food descriptions were a bit misleading - I had the 'gnocci' for instance which actually turned out to be a sort of polenta cake. It was nice but I was disappointed (gnocci is an absolute favourite of mine). I would go back, but make sure that I knew what the dishes consisted of before ordering next time. On a side note, I was also surprised at the minimalistic decor. I had envisioned a much more artsy interior for a modern fusion restaurant. A spash of colour or two wouldn't hurt!Special Features:
- over fussycharlotteaDined on 12/9/2014Just misses. Minimalist design in a cool part of town but the chairs are very hard, making a 2 hour stint tricky. The menu sounds mouthwatering, but when pressed the staff are not sure what those strange things you don't understand are either. Eg 'cinder toffee'. Then the food itself is hit and miss. All the complicated, clashing flavours worked in the main course not in the starter or pudding. Blackberry Garam masala ice cream was not good. Tries too hard, tries to dazzle but is really blinding you.Special Features:
- The Modern Pantry afternoon teaCakequeenDined on 6/9/2014A completely different afternoon tea from the usual tried and tested sandwiches, scones and cakes. While all those featured in the afternoon tea the flavour combinations, textures and smells were incredible. I particularly liked the lotus crisp. Please do not be fooled, when the food comes out it's quantity is not what you usually expect for most afternoon teas (no "lashings" of cake), you will be completely satisfied. The staff were brilliant helpful and not afraid to tell you how to eat and what to drink.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014amazing food, atmosphere, and the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Dr KDoctorDined on 6/9/2014Perfect for a lazy 2 course brunch. Fantastic alternative options to the usual menus in most other places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Service.DaNeroDined on 3/9/2014We booked a 7.45 dinner table and turned up 10 minuted early. We were advised that there were two large parties in that evening and that if we sat early there would be a delay in our food, so as suggested we went off for a drink and came back at 8pm. We were given a table in the room upstairs ordered about 8.20 and our starters came out at 8.30. We then waited over and hour for our mains. When we complained we were told 'it's because they have large bookings in'. Service was sloppy (they missed off some side dishes from our mains) and inattentive (no check backs, we would have to call the waiting staff over). What's disappointing is that the restaurant took no responsibility for the delay simply blaming it on the fact they were busy.
- Great foodj88jkeDined on 2/9/2014Went with clients as have been once before with friends and thought the food was excellent. Service was not on top form on the evening, think the waitress we had for the most part was new or at least seemed inexperienced in dining service but overall would recommend and will return. The food creations are interesting, varied and delicious. There was no disappointment with the food around our tableSpecial Features:
- Wow!DutchieDined on 2/9/2014Only visiting London, i was just looking around some webshops to find good dinner places. Looking at some of the pictures of The Modern Pantry, the interior design and atmosphere directly attracted me. Arriving there, it was a nice mix of people. We got such a warm welcome from the staff and they were so helpful and kind throughout the rest of the night too. The food was a m a z i n g. The combination were different and it was all so tasty. When taking a bit of the roasted eggplant or the shrimp omelette, an explosion of deep tastes occurred. Can't wait to go back, highly recommend this to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SoSoVIPDined on 1/9/2014Not impressed by the brunch experience we received this week. The food was easily something I could have cooked myself, and not worth the price for a restaurant that is this hyped up. The menu is semi inventive, but could use an overhaul if it truly wants to continue selling itself as a premier brunch location in London. Does not come close to comparing to similarly talked about locations in NYC. Which goes to show London has a ways to go yet in that category.
- Great experience! Yum yum!JaneDined on 30/8/2014Great food and service. Nice menu. Staff really friendly & helpful. Would recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite niceWalterBDined on 29/8/2014Excellent service, nice venue. To be honest the food reads a lot better than it tastes. That's not to say the food was not nice, but the price did not match the food even if the whole experience was quite nice. Perhaps simplifying the ingredients and focussing on the quality of the ingredients and cooking might be the way forwards although starters were good. Not a fail, by any means, but pricy for the food you get. Sorry guys, in a City with lots of amazing food places, you won't get me back at those prices.
- Very nice indeedsteeveegeeDined on 24/8/2014A very decent set lunch. I think my choices of starter and main were spot on - my first choice of main, pork loin, had sold out, but the massive and delicately spices lamb chops meant I didn't care at all. My wife enjoyed her pollack, but it was perhaps not quite as exciting as the lamb. Service and ambience were good if not outstanding. We had a table for four between two of us, which I liked. Brunches looked good and I suspect - especially given the prices - that is where the strength of the place lies in terms of quality and value. As I say, our set lunch was fairly priced, but the bill would have skyrocketed had we not steered clear of the wine list. Overall: very good. Might go back for brunch sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner with friendslondondiningDined on 20/8/2014Went with a small group for a long overdue catch up and managed to hear each other whilst enjoying great food and wine all without ever having to ask for anything. (well apart from the olives!) Great little restaurant… Would go again.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchBerksGastronomeDined on 17/8/2014Booked in for Sunday Brunch, professional service and extensive menu. Enjoyed the matcha latte, omelette and waffle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CandyAppleRedDined on 16/8/2014Wonderful anniversary meal, fabulous flavours and contrasts in the food. Familiar dishes given a twist with Japanese ingredients to great effect. Service was also superb and friendly. My wife's lamb was just slightly undercooked for her liking but they made her another full dish without any problems. We would highly recommend this lovely restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service not what it once was...whateverVIPDined on 15/8/2014I used to eat here regularly - at least once a month. The food is still great, but the service has changed dramatically. It used to be staffed by knowledgeable but relaxed staff with a very cool vibe. Now the service is very abrupt, staffed by mediocre (mostly French) staff and much much less fun. Shame.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Faultless service and beautiful restaurant with sunny outdoor seating but let down by the food. Two breakfast dishes very simple and small with eggs grossly overcooked and no finesse as previously experienced here.Special Features:
- Light and delicious!NadiadewDined on 11/8/2014Gorgeous Caravan brewed coffee and the tastiest bacon! The location is great and the service is very attentive without being too full on. Would definitely recommend for a nice treat breakfast.Special Features:
- Super brunchIRofRVIPDined on 10/8/2014In the depths of Clerkenwell, devoid of people on a Sunday, this trendy eatery fully deserves its enthusiastic write-ups. The menu is wide-ranging and innovative. The average age of the clientele was around 25, and there was a distinct buzz. There is good outside seating and the house itself is beautiful, with upstairs quieter than down. There is a good range of drinks, reasonably priced. An occasion not to be missed, but rather to be soon repeated.Special Features:
- Lunch, but perhaps brunch is betterFrankDined on 9/8/2014We had an interesting lunch spoiled a little by the side dishes arriving too late and one order not being the dish ordered. As a result one of our party ate after we had finished. ' Pity - the decor and location are great but we'd think twice before going for lunch again.Special Features:
- Over-priced and over-cookedkreavDined on 6/8/2014We dined here last week and on first impressions this place was great: the staff were friendly, it was modern and clean and in the heart of bustling St John's Square. There is plenty of space to enjoy a pre-dinner drink outside, too. The cocktail list is impressive, and the recommended wines on the menu were well-chosen. However, the main problem was the food. After reading many reviews, I came here under the impression I was going to be eating high-class food. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. I ordered a sugared prawn omelette to start which would have been great if it contained more than 2 prawns. For £9.20 I expect a little more (and i'm not averse to paying for good food). The onglet steak was tough and chewy. I wouldn't return.Special Features:
- DinnerEaroutDined on 2/8/2014Four dined. All chose different dishes and all scored. Onglet steak particularly. Feta pea and courgette fritter sublime. Eaton mess wonderfull.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy brunchBrunchieDined on 1/8/2014I had the corn, feta, green chilli and curry leaf waffle with streaky smoked bacon - delicious! Pot of tea was lovely but the crockery was nothing special. Had numerous different waiting staff ask to take our drink orders which showed they weren't communicating much but everyone was friendly and polite.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 29/7/2014İ am dissapointed i was expecting more from chef i choosed the duck for starters and steak main course lots of ingeridiatant but not matching taste
- Lovely food shaky servicejaneejaneDined on 29/7/2014Really enjoyed our meal - innovative interesting but service was just not really up to par. Slow, tap water with no ice on a sunny day just almost plonked on the table. Cocktail list quite a few were unavailable due to missing ingredients ;-(I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyNimsterDined on 27/7/2014Would highly recommend this restaurant for brunch - it's light, airy, in a lovely location and the food is delicious. The menu is extensive yet not too overwhelming and the service is excellent. No complaints!Special Features:
- Food not as good as beforefoodieDined on 27/7/2014I enjoyed my meal here, but I have to say the food was not as outstanding as the food I am used to getting at the Modern Pantry. My poached eggs had completely solid yolks and my chorizo was too fatty and too bland. I can make better much brunch at home! I might give it another chance or two before I let it fall off my list of top brunch places in London.Special Features:
- Brunch on a SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 26/7/2014Fantastic brunch. We had the cornbread with Chorizo and red pepper salsa and the waffle with Bacon and maple syrup. Both were delicious but the former was truly outstanding. One of the best breakfasts I've ever had. Service was very good and got a good spot outside in the sun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant but stingy portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 26/7/2014Delicious and stylish place for brunch, but portions were small (and I don't eat a lot). Puddings and iced early grey and hibiscus tea delicious. Service slow and lacking in grace.Special Features:
- Brunch!KishanDined on 26/7/2014Fantastic brunch - presentation is very good & food tastes even better than it looks! The prawn omelette was particularly good! Great service as well, a definite favourite for brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food/Bad servicehenrypointer32Dined on 26/7/2014Food was good and tasty, restaurant was airy and nice decor. some staff were unprofessional and unapproachable, could be good but need to have an attitude bypass!Special Features:
- Lovely venueljfer6fDined on 26/7/2014I had heard a lot of great things about this place, which I suppose raised my expectations. We went here for brunch with friends. The menu is quite healthy and a little quirky. The service was not great. They forgot the tea, to get more drinks we had to go and find someone. It was like they were distracted. It was nice that we were not rushed, but it felt more like we were forgotten. I would come back here as I liked the food but if I got similar service then I would find somewhere else.Special Features:
- Fantastic as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 24/7/2014One of my favourite places to eat we went here last week to celebrate a birthday and it was exceptional as ever. Decided to opt this time for a couple of the starters as a main to try an few new dishes and they were cooked to perfection. Love the interior and the non-alcoholic cocktails very refreshing on a hot summer's day.Special Features:
- The Beautiful Modern Pantryhlr84Dined on 20/7/2014My Partner and I tried The Modern Pantry for the first time on Sunday for brunch. It is in a great location and has outdoor seating which was wonderful as it was a beautiful day so we sat outside and dined. I started off with the smoothie of the day which was banana, yoghurt, fig, mint and lime and was absolutely delicious. I then had the baked eggs which were ok - I wouldn't order it again, once the eggs were gone you were left with a tomato-ey water, the sourdough toast that came with it was delicious. My partner opted for the dippy egg with marmite soldiers which were perfect. Despite not liking my dish I will definintely be going back - the menu is wonderful with so many different things to choose from!Special Features:
- lizzyDined on 19/7/2014Very enjoyable evening with friends we hadn't seen for a long time. Staff were very good and menu added that sense fo something differentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnjuVIPDined on 16/7/2014I was not impressed with my meal at The Modern Pantry, which was a shame having dined there a few times before. The onglet steak was far too tough and lacked flavour. I left most of it!Special Features:
- JasiDined on 15/7/2014Great setting and atmosphere and a very homely feel. We ordered the sashimi, bread and olives for starters. Sashimi was very tasty, but probably could have been a bit colder. Mains I had the steak, which was cooked with what tasted like an olive tepanade. Very tasty and succulent. The salad had a touch too much vinegar. Husband had the pork belly, which he enjoyed but said wasn't the best he's had. Dessert I had the Pineapple Tarte Tartin, which was really yummy. Overall the food was excellent, but was very pricey. Probably not worth that much for the price, but was good nonetheless.Special Features:
- Sunday LunchSquirrelDined on 6/7/2014We visited the Modern Pantry last Sunday for lunch. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. The food was delicious and we received exceptional service.Special Features: