The Modern Pantry
47 - 48 St Johns Square
London, EC1V 4JJNeighbourhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: £26 to £40
The Modern Pantry
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themodernpantry.co.uk/
- Phone: 02075539210
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 8am - 11am Brunch: Saturday 9am - 4pm, Sunday 10am - 4pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday 5.00pm - 10.00pm, Tuesday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10.30pm, Saturday 6pm - 10.30pm, Sunday 6pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Anna Hansen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet, Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The Mobile Pantry caters for both corporate and private clients, creating eclectic delicious menus tailored to your needs. It offers a full service: everything from cocktails and canapés to lavish buffets, or even an intimate dinner with matching wines.
A word from The Modern Pantry
The Modern Pantry is housed in two handsome Georgian buildings in St John’s Square, Clerkenwell. The larger of the two buildings was originally part of an adjacent steel foundry, while the other was a townhouse. The Modern Pantry offers a range of dining options: The first floor Dining Rooms (Restaurant) is comprised of two elegant, light filled rooms overlooking St John’s Square. Classic Heritage features are complimented with contemporary design creating an intimate and relaxing atmosphere. The Ground Floor Café is a modern casual dining space serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner 7 days a week, with out door seating in the summer. Book online for the dining rooms or by phone for the ground floor cafe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBrunch
The Modern Pantry - Best restaurants in Farringdon ›
The Modern Pantry reviews from OpenTable diners
477 reviews since 23 October 2013
brunch (243)fit for foodies (192)special occasions (104)business meals (91)sunday lunch (88)romance (82)afternoon tea (79)good vegetarian options (65)group bookings (55)outdoor eating (54)outstanding value (29)pre/post theatre (18)child friendly (12)Show More
- JTWinePairDined on 18/10/2014Always a winner and I'm always recommending this place to any who are able to appreciate fine food. For the price, there is no better place for food and wine pairings in London.Special Features:
- Great experience!!sheetsDined on 18/10/2014Lovely unique and creative recipes, would definitely recommend and come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday BrunchJockBerkshireDined on 18/10/2014Flavours were exceptional. pleaseant informal , stylish atmosphere. A a bit off the beaten track at Clerkenwell but worth the effort if you have time on a leisureley weekend day for the quality of the food and ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely brunchRrwhDined on 18/10/2014Interesting brunch options plus the classics like poached eggs done really well. Lovely natural light and ambience for a Saturday brunch. Serving sizes were on the smaller side.Special Features:
- attention to detail requiredgustav24Dined on 17/10/2014Lovely service, nice setting, but just missed the quality on the food. We sent the breakfast back as swimming in water from the poached eggs. The hollandaise sauce was split and bitter. Just not quite good enough for the price. Coffee from a specialised roaster was delicious though.Special Features:
- Relaxed sophistication...Yum22Dined on 14/10/2014Airy, light and intimate. An interesting menu as well. So many things yet to try. A great option for brunch, breakfast and lunch particularly. Nice tea options. Coffee could be a little better.Special Features:
- A disappointing Sunday lunchUsuallypositiveDined on 12/10/2014The service did not start well; waiting for friends to join us at our table no-one asked if we would like a drink. Then our waiter asked us to repeat everything several times, a bottle of pear and elderflower had to be repeated 4 times. The salad and breaded cheese starter had a tiny triangle of cheese which should have oozed from its coating. It was stodgy. The pork terrine was better with an exc piccalilli. The fish main course was good but only one of the two ordered arrived at the table. The waiter really should have written down the order, a fish order is not easily confused by a veg option of tofu! The medium rare onglet steak was rare and had to be sent back. Even on the rare side it was chewy. £34 a silly price for house wine.
- Incredible StaffhappydinerDined on 5/10/2014We had Sunday brunch at Modern Pantry to celebrate a birthday. As it was a very sunny day so naturally the restaurant was extremely busy and unfortunately they ran out of the waffles we ordered. At this point we had already received an amazing Muesli dish, a beet salad, corn bread, salsa and chorizo with fried eggs and, cocktails which were outstanding. The staff were genuinely sorry about the waffles and first offered us complimentary drinks (champagne, Bellini etc) then said that the bill was on them. It was the best brunch ever with inspiring food and remarkable and extremely friendly service.Special Features:
- Another great meal at Modern PantryadelvellerDined on 5/10/2014A great brunch in nice surroundings. Only comment is that, whilst service was very friendly and attentive, the restaurant could do with employing another waiter or waitress as there were times when those working were stretched. Otherwise another fine experience at Modern Pantry and we will be back!
- Exceptionally Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/10/2014Everything was amazing,,,, great service, ambiance and the food was sooo delicious. I highly recommend it!!!
- A wonderful place77130Dined on 28/9/2014This last Sunday it was the first time I came in your restaurant, we have made a reservation for a long time. We arrived at 11. for the brunch, no delay we access very quicly to our table at the first floor, and a charming lady gave us the menu. We did'nt wait for a long time to receive our order, and after it was just delightful !!!! My scrambled eggs were very well coocked, and good surprise in my tea pot , no tea bag, but a real "loose leaf tea" I hope i will come back soon in London and i try your Afternoon tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 26/9/2014Waiters were interested only about the closure of the kitchen. Kitchen has served one venison medium well, normally must be medium rare. 3.50£ for a selection of breads was a bit overpriced considering the quality of the bread. Starters too small and puzzling for taste and combination. If you read "duck" as the main ingredient of the plate you expect to eat more duck than salad. The omlette was very good even if it was actually a crêpes. The wine list was ubalanced in relation to the menu, there were two medium priced wines and the others were all very expensive.
- Interestinghach14Dined on 21/9/2014Having looked at the menu online, decided to book a table for Sunday lunch while my relative visited. When we arrived, it was a very cute but busy place. Downstairs cafe seemed lively, if not a bit tight for space. There isn't much room to manouvre round the entrance, table and front desk. However, really disappointed when we were given the 'Saturday' menu, when I asked the waitress she told us that they change menus daily and no longer do any pork or roast lunches. Seeing as a roast dinner was what we came for, we decided to leave, so can't really comment on the food ratings above. I will say, however because of the wooden floorboards and 'pantry' ambience everything echoes and so it's quite hard to hear yourself never mind the waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at The Modern PantryEatingOutDined on 20/9/2014This was my first visit with friends. The atmosphere was good, relaxed, pleasant dining rooms, good menu. The food was excellent, it was a long time coming but they did apologise for the delay. I would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodAmOsDined on 19/9/2014We have been to this place for a couple of times and we love it. Food is absolutely amazing and service is perfect. Would go back anytime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyPippa75Dined on 17/9/2014We organised a business lunch at the Modern Pantry as we had heard good reviews, and it was lovely. Great food and decor and ideal for the business lunches that you want relaxed but not too informal. The only slight downside is it can get a bit noisy, however for the right meetings this is ideal, so would book again (and booking through Open Table is great).Special Features:
- Good food and serviceEpicurusVIPDined on 16/9/2014The Modern Pantry serves good modern food. On the pricey side, but justified given the quality of the food. Service was professional and friendly.Special Features:
- ServiceJacobDined on 14/9/2014Sloppy service and I attentive staff made thus into an unpleasant experience. It took 20 minutes before anybody turned up at the table and another 20 to get a glass of wine. Before the main course was served the dessert menus were presented, the ordered bottle of wine arrived mid main course. We were a party of 4, spent about 250 quid, food is great, especially the prawn omelette. Service makes me not want to come backSpecial Features:
- wgcaptainDined on 13/9/2014As usual, the standard of food and service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely servicecmoon02Dined on 13/9/2014first time visiting the modern pantry after having some recommendation. was booked for afternoon tea but when arrived, they had us for brunch. however when we spoke to the staff, they happily accommodated us with the afternoon tea which was not like traditional one but very interesting and quirky mix of pastries and scones! definitely one to try and will come and visit again likely for some brunch next time which also looked delicious!Special Features:
- Great BreakfastachillesDined on 13/9/2014visited on a saturday morning, the Pantry had a great atmosphere and a good selection of traditional breakfast items as well as alternatives - turkish baked eggs were great!Special Features:
- innovative but not as expectedKozzaKDined on 12/9/2014The food was all well prepared, tasty and the ingredients innovatively paired. However, I did feel that the food descriptions were a bit misleading - I had the 'gnocci' for instance which actually turned out to be a sort of polenta cake. It was nice but I was disappointed (gnocci is an absolute favourite of mine). I would go back, but make sure that I knew what the dishes consisted of before ordering next time. On a side note, I was also surprised at the minimalistic decor. I had envisioned a much more artsy interior for a modern fusion restaurant. A spash of colour or two wouldn't hurt!Special Features:
- over fussycharlotteaDined on 12/9/2014Just misses. Minimalist design in a cool part of town but the chairs are very hard, making a 2 hour stint tricky. The menu sounds mouthwatering, but when pressed the staff are not sure what those strange things you don't understand are either. Eg 'cinder toffee'. Then the food itself is hit and miss. All the complicated, clashing flavours worked in the main course not in the starter or pudding. Blackberry Garam masala ice cream was not good. Tries too hard, tries to dazzle but is really blinding you.Special Features:
- The Modern Pantry afternoon teaCakequeenDined on 6/9/2014A completely different afternoon tea from the usual tried and tested sandwiches, scones and cakes. While all those featured in the afternoon tea the flavour combinations, textures and smells were incredible. I particularly liked the lotus crisp. Please do not be fooled, when the food comes out it's quantity is not what you usually expect for most afternoon teas (no "lashings" of cake), you will be completely satisfied. The staff were brilliant helpful and not afraid to tell you how to eat and what to drink.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014amazing food, atmosphere, and the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Dr KDoctorDined on 6/9/2014Perfect for a lazy 2 course brunch. Fantastic alternative options to the usual menus in most other places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Service.DaNeroDined on 3/9/2014We booked a 7.45 dinner table and turned up 10 minuted early. We were advised that there were two large parties in that evening and that if we sat early there would be a delay in our food, so as suggested we went off for a drink and came back at 8pm. We were given a table in the room upstairs ordered about 8.20 and our starters came out at 8.30. We then waited over and hour for our mains. When we complained we were told 'it's because they have large bookings in'. Service was sloppy (they missed off some side dishes from our mains) and inattentive (no check backs, we would have to call the waiting staff over). What's disappointing is that the restaurant took no responsibility for the delay simply blaming it on the fact they were busy.
- Great foodj88jkeDined on 2/9/2014Went with clients as have been once before with friends and thought the food was excellent. Service was not on top form on the evening, think the waitress we had for the most part was new or at least seemed inexperienced in dining service but overall would recommend and will return. The food creations are interesting, varied and delicious. There was no disappointment with the food around our tableSpecial Features:
- Wow!DutchieDined on 2/9/2014Only visiting London, i was just looking around some webshops to find good dinner places. Looking at some of the pictures of The Modern Pantry, the interior design and atmosphere directly attracted me. Arriving there, it was a nice mix of people. We got such a warm welcome from the staff and they were so helpful and kind throughout the rest of the night too. The food was a m a z i n g. The combination were different and it was all so tasty. When taking a bit of the roasted eggplant or the shrimp omelette, an explosion of deep tastes occurred. Can't wait to go back, highly recommend this to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SoSoVIPDined on 1/9/2014Not impressed by the brunch experience we received this week. The food was easily something I could have cooked myself, and not worth the price for a restaurant that is this hyped up. The menu is semi inventive, but could use an overhaul if it truly wants to continue selling itself as a premier brunch location in London. Does not come close to comparing to similarly talked about locations in NYC. Which goes to show London has a ways to go yet in that category.
- Great experience! Yum yum!JaneDined on 30/8/2014Great food and service. Nice menu. Staff really friendly & helpful. Would recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite niceWalterBDined on 29/8/2014Excellent service, nice venue. To be honest the food reads a lot better than it tastes. That's not to say the food was not nice, but the price did not match the food even if the whole experience was quite nice. Perhaps simplifying the ingredients and focussing on the quality of the ingredients and cooking might be the way forwards although starters were good. Not a fail, by any means, but pricy for the food you get. Sorry guys, in a City with lots of amazing food places, you won't get me back at those prices.
- Fresh, unique flavoursSammyKDined on 29/8/2014The ingredients felt fresh. LOVED the grilled miso steak - cooked perfectly without the sauce overpowering the natural flavour of the meat! Would have preferred more cassava and less salad but that's me being greedy... Otherwise, the cinder toffee affogato and peach melba with prosecco sorbet were a delicious ending, accompanied by the Jurancon dessert wine! Only negatives were the duck confit starter (where was the duck?) and ONE of the waiters seemed uninterested; the other waitress was lovely though!Special Features:
- Very nice indeedsteeveegeeDined on 24/8/2014A very decent set lunch. I think my choices of starter and main were spot on - my first choice of main, pork loin, had sold out, but the massive and delicately spices lamb chops meant I didn't care at all. My wife enjoyed her pollack, but it was perhaps not quite as exciting as the lamb. Service and ambience were good if not outstanding. We had a table for four between two of us, which I liked. Brunches looked good and I suspect - especially given the prices - that is where the strength of the place lies in terms of quality and value. As I say, our set lunch was fairly priced, but the bill would have skyrocketed had we not steered clear of the wine list. Overall: very good. Might go back for brunch sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner with friendslondondiningDined on 20/8/2014Went with a small group for a long overdue catch up and managed to hear each other whilst enjoying great food and wine all without ever having to ask for anything. (well apart from the olives!) Great little restaurant… Would go again.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchBerksGastronomeDined on 17/8/2014Booked in for Sunday Brunch, professional service and extensive menu. Enjoyed the matcha latte, omelette and waffle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CandyAppleRedDined on 16/8/2014Wonderful anniversary meal, fabulous flavours and contrasts in the food. Familiar dishes given a twist with Japanese ingredients to great effect. Service was also superb and friendly. My wife's lamb was just slightly undercooked for her liking but they made her another full dish without any problems. We would highly recommend this lovely restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service not what it once was...whateverVIPDined on 15/8/2014I used to eat here regularly - at least once a month. The food is still great, but the service has changed dramatically. It used to be staffed by knowledgeable but relaxed staff with a very cool vibe. Now the service is very abrupt, staffed by mediocre (mostly French) staff and much much less fun. Shame.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Faultless service and beautiful restaurant with sunny outdoor seating but let down by the food. Two breakfast dishes very simple and small with eggs grossly overcooked and no finesse as previously experienced here.Special Features:
- Light and delicious!NadiadewDined on 11/8/2014Gorgeous Caravan brewed coffee and the tastiest bacon! The location is great and the service is very attentive without being too full on. Would definitely recommend for a nice treat breakfast.Special Features: