The Mole & Chicken
Near Long Crendon
Aylesbury, HP18 9EYNeighbourhood:
BritishPrice: £26 to £40
The Mole & Chicken
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.themoleandchicken.co.uk/
- Phone: 01844 208387
- Hours of Operation:
Mon: 12:00pm - 9:00pm Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, 6:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: British
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Mole & Chicken
The Mole and Chicken is a picturesque, ivy-covered country pub and restaurant in Easington near Long Crendon that is renowned for its Sunday roasts and superb views of the surrounding Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire countryside. The country-cottage-chic interior is all chocolate brown and tan leather seats, whitewashed walls and designer fabrics, and the kitchen at The Mole and Chicken uses seasonal ingredients to create their moreish Mediterranean/British menu. We highly recommend the BBQ belly pork ribs; chilli fried baby squid with garlic, lemon and olive oil; and the devilled kidneys on toast. Enjoyed yourself so much that you don't want to leave? You don't have to, just book one of the five boutique bedrooms located next door!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Mole & Chicken - Best restaurants in Thame ›
The Mole & Chicken reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since 23 November 2013
fit for foodies (4)sunday lunch (4)child friendly (3)special occasions (3)group bookings (2)romance (2)business meals (2)brunch (1)outdoor eating (1)Show More
- Rural ValueHermitDined on 19/8/2014Good food cooked well ,served in pleasant setting. Lunch-time service somewhat distracted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousemzbarbzDined on 15/8/2014I had a very enjoyable evening with an old school friend catching up. the food was fantastic, slightly more expensive for a pub meal than I am used to. the portion sizes were perfect and we just managed to fit in three courses. The service between courses was very quick, with minutes between starters and main course. we booked on top table for 7.30 but were phoned to ask if 7pm would be ok as there was no availability for 7.30. with this in mind we presumed they wanted the table back, which was why we were surprised to find ourselves waiting for the bill for 30 mins. we didn't mind, but were not offered coffee or anything else once they took the pudding bowls. I would return for the food and that's the main thing!Special Features:
- One of the favourits outise LondondeimanteVIPDined on 19/4/2014It's always nice being back in the chicken and mole. I like the ambience, the food, the service. Excellent step over for lunch. Can't wait to be back.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beAnsestileuDined on 23/12/2013We booked a table for a party of 7 just before Christmas. Food is good although I was expecting a bit more of my Christmas beef rib main. The service was excessively slow and the restaurant was not even half full. We left after the main since our toddler had enough and we didn't order our dessert which was part of the menu. The staff didn't mentioned anything and was quite happy to charge us full price plus the service charge for parties of 6 or more. Sorry Mole and Chicken but we won't return again.
- The following 111 reviews are from the The Mole & Chicken reviews archive.
- Great foodcharlotteDined on 17/10/2013We had a special family meal for 8 and we weren't disappointed. The decor was nice. What looks like a run of the mill pub but with very lovely food indeed. I didn't pay the bill but i don't suppose it was cheap but i wouldn't expect it to be for what we got!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dreadful ServiceONE1Dined on 20/9/2013We went to the Mole & Chicken for our anniversary and it was our first time there. We had been recommended it as an informal restaurant with good food and service. The place is under staffed. We waited 40 minutes between our starter and main course and for the entire time our starter plates were left on the table. We had to catch the waitresses eye for drinks (which wasnt easy as they were rushed of their feet). We wouldnt have minded so much if it was packed to capacity, but it wasnt. The icing on the cake was that when the bill arrived with a comment card it had already been filled out as EXCELLENT! The food was OK, my steak was cooked well, other half's over done and leathery. The service was so poor we wouldnt return or recommend.
- Food and service were fine.annieDined on 19/9/2013Food and service were fine. Only minor point was that I had chosen my meal on line before going only to find that the menu was different.Special Features:
- Lunchtime mealNepetaDined on 19/8/2013My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our lunch.We would certainly return in the future as the food was excellent and the staff very efficient and friendly.We had our grandson with us ,aged 1 and he seemed to enjoy the food ,staff attention etc as well.Special Features:
- Mole & Chicken RevisitedgreatescapesDined on 14/8/2013We dined at The Mole & Chicken on several occasions some years ago when it was run by New Zealand staff and it was excellent. Reports that it had gone downhill put us off further dinner dates! However, recently we were advised to give it another go and we were far from dissapointed. Congratulations to all who have brought the dining experience in this establishment back up to near top notch. We'll certainly be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Value for moneyValueDined on 4/8/2013Although a nice setting very very expensive for what you get, unlikely to go there again due to thisSpecial Features:
- Dinner booking at the Mole & ChickegourmetgirlDined on 21/6/2013Light crispy fried squid and aioli - nice smaller portion as a starter and very well seasoned - not bland Lean grouse and fresh veg - good mix of veg vs meat Warm and delicious hot chocolate fondant, good portion size as it's rich!Special Features:
- A Pub That Does Food...GeorgeHarveyBoneDined on 16/6/2013The Mole and Chicken is very beautifully set, and rightly proud of its rank in The Times as the nation’s 3rd best. However, such high accolades are a lot to live up to. Only a couple of ales and no cider on tap, and a delay in being seated weren’t a perfect start; however, sizeable starters were enjoyable, though the devilled kidneys lacked any piquancy at all which was a shame. It was a Sunday menu, so predominantly roasts on offer – we had one pork, one beef, both of which were good without jumping out as much more than good pub fare. We had a nice glass of house red to accompany, and overall a pleasant evening – though nothing we couldn’t have got in the village pubs where we live, at a more reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Selection limited, food goodnickDined on 14/6/2013Selection limited, food good quality, service very slow
- Pleasant eveningOonaghDined on 13/6/2013We were really pleased with our evening meal with friends. The atmosphere was really good and although the Mole and Chicken was busy we felt as though we were in a place of our own. Good food, good company, good service what more could you ask for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Considerate Staffcar1tbDined on 31/5/2013Booked online via top table mentioning I am a wheelchair user. Arrived at restaurant to find I had been reserved the perfect table with plenty of room to negotiate my chair into. I've been to many pubs/restaurants that are accessible but very few actually have a disabled loo like the Mole & Chicken's. Food was also top notch and planned to come back again and take advantage of the great views from the rear deck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small(ish) Menu, but good qualityWelshexileDined on 17/5/2013Not a massive amount of variety on offer here, but what was delivered was of high quality. Pork belly main was delicious, but lacking enough jus (more was provided upon request) and so was the steak, cooked exactly to specification and offered with a delicious peppercorn sauce. Wine list was adequate, but not extensive. Highlight for me was the sticky toffee pudding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & service.FoodieDined on 14/5/2013Excellent food & service. Made a special evening extra special. Will go again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent and attentive service.tarzanDined on 30/4/2013excellent and attentive service. The food was enjoyed by all. No adverse comment from us or our guests. The fish and chips plate left oil on the place matt despite having some paper put under the fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not easy to find!DinerDined on 6/4/2013Rather off the beaten track, the oddly named Mole and Chicken serves delicious food at a snail's pace - the price of freshly prepared food. There wouldn't be much point in popping in for a quick bite here. The food is worth waiting for, if pricey, though the bar menu offers good value for money. Wasn't too keen on our table - right by the toilets. It wasn't conducive to enjoying the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mole and Chicken FantasticTThameesidentDined on 6/4/2013Hi, I went to the Mole and Chicken with my wife for our fifth Wedding Anniversary. On arrival we were upgraded to a table next to the window with a view. We found the overall experience fantastic and very good value for money. The standard of the food was extremely high. My seafood curry was amazing as was my wife's Guinea Fowl. Starters were excellent too. Deserts were very high quality. The views from the restaurant were outstanding. Overall an excellent find and I would definitely recommend it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Hurried service.SimonDined on 29/3/2013The Mole and Chicken is a very pleasant restaurant, and It's difficult to fault the food here, however the service lets the place down. It's not bad as such, just incredibly pushy! From the moment we walked through the door we were being pushed along. When I'm paying as much as this, and the price is closer to what I'd expect in central London than rural Oxfordshire, I don't expect to be hurried along. If they're going to try to turn their tables over twice each evening, they shouldn't accept 8pm bookings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely meal and service, a bit slowFoodie101Dined on 23/3/2013Really lovely menu and food throughout, lovely staff and service, just a bit slow (which is why it doesn't quite get 5*). Don't let this put you off though, do go, seriously, really do go, it has great views, must be great in the summer. It is very unusual in my experience for everyone to get a (different) great starter, a great main and a great desert. Just make sure you have time for a leisurely meal and take something for the kids to do while they wait. It is a good place to while away the afternoon without kids to be honest (though their kids meals are very good). We'll be back I'm sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very happy clientsMisselsDined on 5/3/2013I arranged for 2 of my clients to stay at the Mole and Chicken, specifically as I knew the restaurant was so good from previous visits. The whole standard of accommodation combined with an excellent restaurant ensured a very successful meetingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodronnastyDined on 6/2/2013Had a lovely evening with really good food. It was the 2nd time I have been there, but the first in the evening. But I have not been disappointed when I went I went in the afternoon last November. I will go back for more as I do like my food. It is a very nice pub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinnerBryonyVIPDined on 6/1/2013The menu has a good selection and the food is well prepared. I had devilled kidneys and Thai prawn curry - both well presented and tasty Sadly on Sunday evening the restaurant only had 3 tables booked and it was very quiet - normally this place is really buzzing. Would recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerAlto2Dined on 13/12/2012We celebrated my Birthday at the Mole & Chicken and both enjoyed excellent meals. I had crab cake followed by tiger prawn Thai curry and my Husband had the pre-Christmas menu. The food was very tasty and well-presented. The pub is very cosy with a roaring log fire and there was a large Christmas party there on the night, so the atmosphere was lively. We will definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect country pubMarina183VIPDined on 6/12/2012Everything you'd want from a country pub.... Low beams, bags of character, roaring fires, atmospheric lighting and wonderful food. I will most certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening mealHeilaDined on 2/12/2012We ate on a Monday evening, so it was quiet, but still the food was excellent and service very friendly, in particular the girl that took our order and looked after most of our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A second visit has confirmedportandlemonDined on 30/11/2012A second visit has confirmed the excellent value of the table d'hote meal available weekdays with several choices per course. In my case sprats imaginatively presented as a starter were followed by pork belly in herbs and a very good apple pie. Good Hook Norton or a variety of reasonable wines by the glass are available and a decent coffee - well worth winkling the Mole out....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- davidpdavidpVIPDined on 14/11/2012This is an excellent venue for lunch (and no doubt dinner as well). The choice was good and catered equally well for those who wanted a meal or a snack. There was a good variety of food and the service was attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find. Good food, choiceLuxembourgvisitorDined on 2/11/2012A great find. Good food, choice and service. Pleasant relaxed setting,comfortable table settings. Friendly and efficient service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableJohnJanssenDined on 31/10/2012Had a very enjoyable meal at this restaurant. The food was really good and the staff were friendly and efficient. The ambience was pleasant and relaxing and although we didn't dine outside , the countryside views outside must make outdoor dining in the summer a real treat. Recommended.Special Features:
- The perfect meal in every way.NickyDined on 23/10/2012We had a perfect time celebrating my husbands birthday which made up for our taxi not turning up. The manageress went to so much trouble to make up for this and make it the perfect celebration. The food was cooked to perfection, served with style and in an unobtrusive manner, we couldn't have wanted for more. Everything was gauged just right and we would certainly return again and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An enjoyable Evening mealGezsDined on 25/9/2012Decided on the day to have an evening out for dinner. The Mole and Chicken is off the beaten track but well worth a visit. The food was excellent, presented well, with good, polite and subtle service. Value for money was good with an excellent set menu. Not had Liver, Kidneys and Bacon for a long, long time. Perfectly cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice enough, but had betterbradford8487Dined on 31/8/2012My friend and I had supper last Friday night at the Mole and Chicken, and whilst it was perfectly fine, it was unremarkable sadly. I couldn't say what the issue was, and maybe it is just that I've been lucky enough to eat in some very fine places, but it was just unremarkable. There was nothing wrong with the food or the service, and the décor is fine, but it is still really just a pub trying to be a restaurant.
- Saturday lunchLastsupper2012Dined on 18/8/20123 of us enjoyed a delightful lunch in the sun. We were very well looked after and the food was excellent; perfect for a relaxed summer's afternoon. The views are picturesque and the outdoor landscaping is most attractive. Thoroughly recommended for both lunch and dinner, inside or out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good, but waitingsclarkeDined on 16/8/2012Food was very good, but waiting 30 mins for a pudding took away a good experience! i would recommend, I'm sure it was just one of those night as very busy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating in a hamletLiliaDined on 17/7/2012The old pub-restaurant is situated in a hamlet overlooking a steep valley with terraced dining area leading from the new west facing dining area. It is well furnished and surrounded by interesting shrubs. The views of ancient farm buildings and grazing landscape are an artist's paradise and I long to go back and record it. The premises are very old with low ceilings, flagged floors and a mix of old furniture and decorations. The service was friendly and the atmosphere relaxed. We took guests who were celebrating their silver wedding anniversary and this was acknowledged by the management. The menu was excellent and we recommend the simple lamb chop dish for flavour. The starters, puddings and wine were also interesting. Great eating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!ChrisDined on 1/6/2012I love this pub, and once again wasn't disppointed - the Chateaubriand was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Kites and good foodTolroyDined on 30/5/2012I found the £12.95 2 course set menu had good choices. Mine of crab cakes starter and pork belly in spicy sauce with vegetables was excellent.The area nearby is a photographers heaven if Red Kites are your subject choice. So finishing off with a good meal in a comfortable gastro pub can't be bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.